The City of Ember

January24

The City of Ember.jpg

Write a book review for The City of Ember. You can include a summary of the book, what you liked about the story, setting, or certain characters, what surprised you, a recommendation of the book, etc… Please do not forget that your writing must be in paragraph form.

by posted under Uncategorized | 35 Comments »    
35 Comments to

“The City of Ember”

1. January 26th, 2017 at 3:12 pm      Reply roby Says:

The book City Of Ember was a great book. Especialy when they left you off with a cliffhanger. I liked when it was so intense of a ride in the boat like when the boat was rocking and the brutal waves in the pipe works. It was a great story all around.

2. January 25th, 2017 at 5:02 pm      Reply Tyler Says:

I really enjoyed the book The City Of Ember. One thing I liked about Ember is that all through the book it gives you clues of how Lina and Doon are going to get out of Ember and go to a new world. I was glad that they found a beautiful new world.
    In this book a lot of things surprised me. One thing that surprised me was when Lina told the guard the mayor was steaing. The guard thought they were just spreading rumors. Also another that that surprised me was that the city of Ember was underground.
    I would definitely recommend this book to all ages. This was probably one of the best books I’ve read!

3. January 25th, 2017 at 7:47 am      Reply Dalton Says:

Have you read The City of Ember? It is an intense story! There are two kids who live in a very dull city that is running out of supplies. One day, when one of the kids’ grandma is shuffling through the closet, the little sister finds a box with a piece of paper inside … and she tries to eat it! It is actually a way to get out of the city, so the two kids follow it. It is also a mystery, though, because the paper is so torn up. It turns out the city is underground, so they send a note to the city above and hope someone gets it. There are three more books in the series that I hope to read, but I highly recommend the first one and hope you read it!

4. January 24th, 2017 at 9:14 pm      Reply Rough Ryan Says:

I liked the City of Ember. It left a lot of clues, and we had to figure out what was coming up next. I think it was scary in parts, which made it a little exciting. Sometimes it was sad, sometimes it was funny, and I can tell you some of those parts. First, it was scary when the lights went out for seven minutes and you never knew what was going to happen, and you never knew if Poppy was going to get lost. It was sad when the Grandmother passed away, because you never knew who was going to take care of Lina and Poppy. It was funny when Poppy ate the paper so that they had to figure out what the paper said. It made the book way longer, and it was a whole mystery, because no one knew what it said. As you can see, there are a lot of parts that I liked in the City of Ember, but my favorite part was when they had made the trip all the way out of the City of Ember. They were the only ones who knew, and Lina forgot to give the note to someone,so everybody would get out of the City of Ember and get a new life. They were the only ones who knew. What was funny was that they made the entire trip,and at the end, they realized that all they had to do was climb a hill instead of travel to the Pipe works. Also, it has a cliff hanger at the end of the book, making you want to read the next book. I recommend this book because it is funny, sad and scary at the same time and you never know what is going to happen next. I hope you read this book and like it as much as my classmates and I did.

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:26 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

I like that you wrote about all different feelings you had as you read through the book. You did a good job describing all of them. Very detailed! Are you going to read the next book?

5. January 24th, 2017 at 9:14 pm      Reply jake Says:

The book we read in school was The City of Ember. The people lived in a city that was not predictable. Sometimes the city went black, meaning they lost all there lights. The people did not know when the lights would come back on. In my opinion i would never want to live in a city like this because you never know when the lights will come back on.

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:28 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

Ember was a scary place. They were running out of food and their generator was broken. Do you think you would have gone searching for a way out if you were a citizen there?

6. January 24th, 2017 at 8:09 pm      Reply Ian Says:

I would recommend this book if you like mystery. There are lots of parts which have you trying to figure out what’s going on. If that’s not your thing, maybe you’ll like the cliffhangers at the end o each chapter. If you like one or both, then go read The City Of Ember!

7. January 24th, 2017 at 8:04 pm      Reply Johnny Rockets Says:

In the book City Of Ember it really surprised me how they found out their city was under ground. My favorite characters were Lina and Dune. They found the underground doors in the pipe works. The second door was dark and had 2 boxes one had candles and the other had lighters. In the first door it had food and everything from the store rooms. I thought that this was a great book to read and thought it was a very cool story.

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:32 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

The first time I read the book I couldn’t believe the ending. I had no idea they were underground. Wow! The characters were so brave to go looking through the pipeworks. It sounded like a cold, slimy, scary place.

Good job!

8. January 24th, 2017 at 7:09 pm      Reply grace Says:

The City Of Ember was an amazing book to read with Mrs.Schoening. I loved hearing about the adventurous parts such as when Lina got caught by the guards. What I disliked was that when Mayor Cole was being greedy when he had all that delicious food with out sharing it. What surprised me was when the book ended. I thought that they would tell us if they went to the new city! I would recommend that you read the book because it is very exciting. [Sometimes I just want to keep reading!] If you are reading that book get ready for a lot of excitement!

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:35 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

I am so happy you enjoyed the book. I love this book too! It did leave you wondering if the citizens of Ember would make it to the other city, but I guess that is how the author is trying to “lead” you to the next book. ๐Ÿ™‚

Great response!

9. January 24th, 2017 at 6:56 pm      Reply Overjoyed aryan Says:

What I liked about the story was that when dunn,lenna and popey were in the cave and discovered the out side world .I liked that they did that because when dunn and lenna went in the cave they saw a rock fall and saw the city of ember .in the book it said that when a rock fell they saw the city of ember.thats what I enjoyed about this book.

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:36 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

I am glad you enjoyed the book. Can you believe that they were underground all that time. They had no idea! Wow!

10. January 24th, 2017 at 6:49 pm      Reply Carly Says:

In this story, the builders of Ember leave instructions in a box set to open in 200 years. When the box opened in the closet it was chewed up by Poppy, Leena’s baby sister. Leena found it and pieced it back together with her friend, Dune. They found out that it lead to a new city and they took the river to the city in a boat. They found that Ember was underground the whole time! Leena dropped a note into Ember and that was the end of the book.
    It surprised me when the kids found the city underground. I liked how the author described everything so well. I would definitely recommend this book.

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:40 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

Are you going to read, The People of Sparks? I am sure it is full of adventure, just like Ember. I agree that the author does a wonderful job describing scenes and “showing” feelings and emotions.

Great recommendation!

11. January 24th, 2017 at 6:03 pm      Reply Jake D Says:

The City of Ember is about two kids named Lena and Dune who try to find a new city. The settings include on a boat, in the city, in school and at Lenas grandmothers house. Some of the stuff they find surprised them. For example, they find out the mayor is stealing and their city is underground. I would recommend this book because itโ€™s pretty interesting. I like when they found a lot of new things on the island such as different kinds of fruits and bugs.

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:45 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

Doon and Lina are very adventurous. Do you think you would go off in search of a unknown city?

It is great how the book keeps you guessing the whole time. I enjoy when the author describes trees, grass, animals, and plums at the end of the book. They have no idea what those things are.

Good job!

12. January 24th, 2017 at 5:55 pm      Reply Matthew Says:

We finished the City of Ember. I may have a favorite part. My favorite is the adventure parts. Lena and Dune were trying to find their way out of Ember. Poppy was there, too. They found a rock with an E on it. They were going down into water. After that, they found a huge crack and behind it was Ember. Those were all of my favorite parts.

13. January 24th, 2017 at 5:14 pm      Reply jayden Says:

The whole story was about teenagers having a lot of adventures. One adventure was to get out of the place before the lights shut off. I like Lina and Doon the best because they mostly found out the mystery. I can’t lie I love mysteries. The other thing I like about city of Ember is that some parts go like this word blank and word blank. The thing that surprised was that they made it through all of the adventures.

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:50 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

When Poppy ate the paper that was when their adventure began. Can you imagine if she hadn’t eaten the paper and the instructions were just there for them to follow. The story would have been very different. I am so glad you enjoyed this book. What mystery will you read next?

Good job!

14. January 24th, 2017 at 5:01 pm      Reply Ailish Says:

The book ”the city of ember” was entertaining and I would definitely recommend it.This book made you second guess your theory’s, especially at the end.I would love to read the second book, also the genre of this book is a mix between mystery and adventure.In conclusion, I give the book the city of ember five stars.

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:52 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

I am so glad you enjoyed this book. Please let me know if you read, The People of Sparks. I am curious to learn if you enjoy it as much as or even more than Ember.

Good work!

15. January 24th, 2017 at 4:50 pm      Reply fishjake Says:

The book The City of Ember is full of action. The two main characters, Doon and Lina, lived in a city that was running out of resources. They found a hidden paper and realized it was instructions on how to get out of the city. After finding the new city they found a cave with a cliff inside. At the bottom of the cliff was the City of Ember. They threw a letter to the City of Ember with directions on how to get to the new city. I was surprised to learn that the that the City of Ember was underground! My favorite thing about this book was that it was full of mystery. This book is full of action, adventure and mystery. I give it sixty thumbs up!

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:55 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

Were you surprised that the paper flew down and landed right by Mrs. Murdo’s feet? Why do you think the author picked her? I wonder who else she was considering when she was writing that part of the book. What do you think happens next for Doon and Lina?

Great work!

16. January 24th, 2017 at 4:12 pm      Reply cute corrin Says:

This is what i liked about The City Of Ember.I liked how in the end of the book Dune and Lina found out how their city was under ground it was also surprising.My favorite character was Poppy because she found the list of letters and numbers that made the letters sound like words.i think this book is recommended for older readers.I think that the lights kept going out because they were under ground. this is what i think of Ember.

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:57 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

What did you think when you learned that the city was underground? I remember being completely surprised. Do you think the author gave the reader hints? Can you think of one?

Good work!

17. January 24th, 2017 at 3:36 pm      Reply Luke Says:

Dear people of Ember,

We have found a new world up above Ember and we want you to come. You might have see the sighs that have us wanted on for spreading rumors but we haven’t been lying.Theres lots of light, big plants, and even great fruit.We have seen some creatures that we think are bugs that can fly and sing.You don’t need to bring much just some clothes, bottles that can hold water,and a blanket maybe.But thats it, we hope you can make.

From,
    Doone, Lina and poppy

• January 25th, 2017 at 5:59 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

What do you think happens in Ember when Mrs. Murdo receives that note? Where do you think she goes first with that information? Now that they are in the new city what do you think will happen to them?

Good job!

18. January 24th, 2017 at 3:28 pm      Reply aubrey Says:

What I liked about the book City of Amber was that the characters were very interesting. For example, when Lena needed a light to see with and Dune made it look like the light was floating. Yes, I would recommend this book because you are always wondering what is going to happen next. Although this book was very good, I did not like ending because it says that Lena and Dune dropped the note and some lady picked it up and it does not say what happened after that. But I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book. I really liked this book and I think other people should read it too.

• January 25th, 2017 at 6:01 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

Good work!

I think the author left you hanging on purpose. She wants you to read the next book so you can find out what happens to them. What do you think is going to happen to the people of Ember? What about the mayor? Do you think he continues to govern?

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Archives

January 2017
M T W T F S S
« Dec   Feb »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

Who has visited our blog?

Skip to toolbar