Character Changes

October2

We have been learning about why and how characters change. While you are reading, think about how your character has changed throughout your story. Write a response that answers the following questions: How did your character change from the beginning of the story to the end of the story? What caused or influenced them to change? Use adjectives to describe your character before and after they changed and evidence from the story that supports your answer. Don’t forget to use the R.A.C.E.S format.

by posted under Reader's Response | 38 Comments »    
38 Comments to

“Character Changes”

1. October 8th, 2015 at 7:30 pm      Reply Lauren Says:

I picked the book Dairy of a Wimpy Kid the Last Straw. I picked the character Greg. Greg`s trait is creative because he wrote a comic about a guy named Mr. Shropsharp who fell off a cliff. Around the end Greg becomes friendly because he is nice to a kid who just moved in. That is how my character changes in my book.

2. October 8th, 2015 at 6:45 pm      Reply vic Says:

Geronimo stilton changes in the bening of book.He was happy to watch a soccer game,when his grandfather changed the channel on him and now he is sad

3. October 7th, 2015 at 11:13 pm      Reply Lyle Says:

At the beginning of the book Jack was lonely because he only had his mom,dad,sister,and his two friends.Towards the end of the book Jack made lots of friends on his adventure to Venice,Italy.In the text it says that Jack and his sister saved the city of Venice,Italy from a flood.He changed because throughout his adventure,he got advice from people to help save the city.That is how Jack changed from lonely to friendly.

4. October 7th, 2015 at 9:20 pm      Reply Jessica Says:

In my book Dragonsdale by Salamanda Drake the main character Cara changed. Cara was quiet. Also she was not allowed to ride a dragon. I know this because in the text her father tells her “You know very well that I will not have you ride any dragon.” By the middle of the book Cara becomes a different person. She was attacked and she had to ride a dragon to get away. She liked the ride so much that she decides to teach herself how to ride a dragon. She became an expert rider and was able to win an obstacle course and prove to her father that she can be a responsible rider. By the end of the book Cara’s father saw her dragon riding skills and gave his permission for Cara to ride the dragon. This is how Cara changed throughout the story.

5. October 7th, 2015 at 8:01 pm      Reply Kate (; Says:

My character is about a girl named Raina who wanted a sister because she’s alone and has no one to play with. She asked her mom if She could have a baby sister to play with. She gets a baby sister and now she doesn’t like her. She does not like that she is annoying and a cry baby. She steals All of Raina’s attention. That is how she change through out the book.

6. October 7th, 2015 at 7:23 pm      Reply Kar-Bar / Karlie Says:

The character that I’m going to write about is Bean. Bean changes in one major way from the beginning of the story to the end of the story. In the beginning of the story, Bean is judgemental. Bean doesn’t want to be friends with Ivy because Ivy wears dresses everyday. Bean assumes that Ivy is a girly-girl that doesn’t do fun things. Also, Ivy reads all the time and Bean thinks that is boring.

Bean changes after a chance meeting with Ivy. Bean was playing a prank on her sister and she needed to hide. Bean ended up on Ivy’s front porch. The girls quickly became friends.

At the end of the story, Bean has changed. Bean is more open-mined. Bean learned that she should not judge a book by its cover. Bean discovered that Ivy liked the same things as her. For example, they both like doing science projects, making spells and being silly.

Bean made a good change from the beginning of the story to the end of the story.

7. October 7th, 2015 at 7:17 pm      Reply lexi Says:

My character’s name is Diana. In the beginning of the story Diana is shy because she did not have a lot of friends, and not that many people to talk to. Her best friends name is Jessica she only talks to Jessica because Jessica is her best friend in the whole wide world. Dianna was also shy because one of her friends asked her and Jessica to go to a performance he was having with his brothers band. His band was playing at Foreman academy which is a really royal school. She was Nervous about how it would turn out. She also got nervous about the mean girls that were at the performance the girls were bullies even to people they did not know. In the middle of the story Dianna started to get happy and more out going and was nice to everyone she met. She started to get more out going because somebody stole Jessica’s phone and Jessica got very upset so Dianna found out that the bully Brook stole her phone. Dianna was nice enough to get her phone back. Another reason why Dianna is out going is she talked to people that she knew such as her friend Elise’s cousin Annika to try and get into Brook’s dorm room. At the end of the story she was as happy as can be. She was happy because she talked to Jess and said we are best friends forever. Another reason she was happy was that her and jess took pictures of themselves with their arms around each other. That is how my character changed throughout the story.

8. October 7th, 2015 at 6:42 pm      Reply celina Says:

Nancy Drew The Clue Of The Broken Locket

The character Nancy has changed in this series of books, from the beginning she was eight to now Nancy is a teenager.
    Nancy drives a car and is much more independent and solves mysteries that are much harder now. In the text it said, First Nancy picked up Bess and George, which means she is driving.

9. October 6th, 2015 at 8:59 pm      Reply kira#23 Says:

Im reading Lulu and the brontosaurus, Lulu was very spoiled in the beginning, but at the end she wasn’t as spoiled as before ,because Lulu wanted the brontosaurs as her pet. She asked the Brontosaurus ,but the brontosaurus said “no”,then he said ” your going to be my pet Lulu” then Lulu said “please let me go home” still the brontosaurus said “no” and lulu ran away and when she got home she always said her pleases and thank you’s .Thats how my charecter changed in this book.

10. October 6th, 2015 at 8:19 pm      Reply What What (Danny) Says:

I’m writing about a character named Alastair Hunt in the book The Copper Gauntlet by Holly Black. Alastair is the father of the main character, Call Hunt. In the beginning of the book Alastair is grumpy and unhappy with Call. He doesn’t want to hear about Call’s time at the magic school and he had been “ready to tear his hair out” ever since Call came home with a wolf. Alastair was also mean in the beginning. He left Call’s wolf chained up outside when he was really supposed to bring the wolf inside.
    At the end of the book, Alastair was different. He was supportive and understanding of Call and his magic school. Alastair was helpful too. He used a magic ultimate power glove to defeat an evil wizard to save his son. Alastair said to Call, “As soon as I got your messages about trying to put his soul in the villain’s corpse, I knew what I had to do.”
    Alastair went from being mean and unhappy in the beginning of the book to being kind and helpful at the end. He made the change to save his son’s life.

• October 8th, 2015 at 4:16 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

Great work! Good details! Sounds like your book is full of adventure. I must admit, I wouldn’t be happy if one of my kids came home with a wolf:)

11. October 6th, 2015 at 7:53 pm      Reply Kate Says:

In the book “Lucky Strike” the character Nathan changes. In the beginning of the book, Nathan is unlucky and then he becomes lucky. For instance, when Nathan is making toast in the morning it is always burnt. Also, he never wins prizes. In addition, Nathan never gets picked first or wins a coin toss. Also, on his birthday when he was mini golfing, he got struck by lighting! After he got struck he got lucky. His toast didn’t get burnt anymore. At the fair he won all the prizes at the booth, he hit a home run with one hand and he won a boat race for his friend. Nathan also picked his grandpa’s name out of a hat and his grandpa won a new truck. That is how Nathan’s character changes.

12. October 6th, 2015 at 7:51 pm      Reply Ahla :) Says:

Dork Diaries
    _________________

The book I read was called ” Dork Diaries”. The main character is Nikki Maxwell. In the beginning of the book, Nikki is happy. In the text it states “What better way to start things off than with me and my two best friends having a wild and crazy New Year’s Eve pajama party at Zoey’s house?” In the middle of the book, Nikki is angry and sad. There is a girl named Mackenzie at Nikki’s school who is always being mean to Nikki. Nikki changed because she made a harmless prank and Mackenzie want’s to get Nikki suspended. According to the text, it says” I barely got any sleep last night. I just lay there, wide awake, trying to figure out how to stop Mackenzie.” At the end of the book, Nikki is happy again. Nikki was happy again because Mackenzie’s plan to get Nikki suspended backfired. It backfired because Nikki’s friend Marcy had an ” interview” with Mackenzie. In the text it says ” Do you mind if I tape this interview? Marcy asked. I’d like to have a permanent record.” That is how my character, Nikki, changes in this book.

• October 8th, 2015 at 4:18 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

I’m glad Nikki didn’t get in trouble, but do you think she learned not to pull pranks on people? Good work! Good details to support your answer!

13. October 6th, 2015 at 7:34 pm      Reply Evan Says:

I just finished reading “I Survived the Joplin Tornado.” The main character is Dex, an eleven-year-old boy. Dex was a normal boy who liked to watch TV shows and playing with his friends. He was invited to chase a storm with Dr. Norman Gage, a storm chaser. He changed in the story when Dr. Gage got hurt chasing the storm. He helped Dr. Gage by using a first aid kit and being brave. Dex went from a ordinary kid to being a hero.

14. October 6th, 2015 at 6:21 pm      Reply Izzy Says:

My character Nikki has changed throughout this book Dork Diaries. An adjective I would use for her in the beginning of the book would be patient because she texts her crush and she has to wait. In the text it says, “Brandon just texted me to go to Crazy Burger!! and yes I know it’s Not like a real date or anything. But still! So I snuggled into a comfy chair, stared at my cell phone and waited patiently for his call. I waited… and waited…(two hours later) and waited…(four hours later) and waited!! (six hours later). Before I knew it it was bedtime.” Another adjective I would use for Nikki would be nervous because she lets her little sister do her hair and she is very nervous. According to the text is says, “I felt a slight tug and then…snip! a chopped-off braid landed in my lap! I gasped! I then with a trembling hand, I picked up the braid and PRAYED that it belonged to someone else.” That’s how my character had changed in the story.

• October 8th, 2015 at 4:21 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

Nikki went from being patient to being nervous? I would hope it went the other way. What was she like at the end of the book?

By the way, was it her hair?

15. October 6th, 2015 at 5:48 pm      Reply Aidan Says:

The character I chose to write about is Nora Rose Rowley from the book The Report Card. In this book, my character changes when she realizes that the best way to bring about change and improvement is for people to work together. At the beginning of the book, Nora, a child genius, pretends that she struggles in school and fails all of her classes because she does not like that there is so much focus on grades. Stephen, Nora’s best friend, is a child that really has trouble in school and Nora feels bad that he is embarrassed about his grades. Nora decides to help him feel better by doing poorly in school, too. She doesn’t like that grades make some kids feel like they are dumb. Nora and her friend, Stephen, come up with a campaign and convince all the kids in school to fail their tests. The teachers become very angry because they care about kids doing their best work. The whole administration gets involved, and Nora and Stephen get permission to go up on stage at school and explain to the students that school is a learning place and not just a “hang out” place. They explain that encouraging people to fail was their way to get kids and teachers to stop focusing so much on grades. They admit that this was not a very good idea because it sent the wrong message that school is not important and that is not how they really feel. Nora realized that a better way to change something she doesn’t like in school is to explain how she feels and work with the teachers. She was surprised that many of the teachers agreed with her about grades being too important. Nora changed because in the beginning she acted like she didn’t care about school and she learned that there is a better way to change something you care about.

• October 8th, 2015 at 4:24 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

Great work! Good details and well written. Did you know that the author that wrote this book is the same author that wrote Frindle? How do you think these two stories are similar?

16. October 6th, 2015 at 4:49 pm      Reply ANTHONY Says:

I am still reading, “Dairy Wimpy Kid” by Jeff Kinney. Greg had been changed in many ways in this story. In the beginning of the story, Greg is a curious young teenager who started middle school. He wanted to do things and imagine himself to be really good to himself as a wrestler. That part has had not success.

Other part, he was trying out for school play. Surprisingly, he can sing well. He was a singing tree for the play. He became mischief in his own. Greg dislikes this girl, Patty. Greg and others threw apples and mess up the whole play.

His best friend Rowely got kicked out to be safety patrol job. Greg made a mistake to be someone’s else when an older lady from outside thought it was Rowley when Greg do his job. Rowely got kicked out being a safety patrol job. Greg has not told the truth yet. After discussed with his mom, Greg made decision to be told with school principal and Rowely. Of course, Greg felt guilty what he had done to his best friend. Now he felt the pressure has been relieved off his shoulders.

Again, Greg is very curious teenager who going all through school year. I am thinking it can happens to any one too.

17. October 6th, 2015 at 2:56 pm      Reply Dr.Foocha/Julia Says:

my character is changing in this book called soccer and basketball.She used to want to be a pro basketball player. But now she is a pro soccer player. Now every one on the news says when you were little didn’t you want to be a pro basketball player. She says yes and she always gets annoyed.She sayed she will never give up soccer or basketball

• October 6th, 2015 at 3:19 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

What was she like in the beginning of the book? What was she like in the middle of the book? What happened to cause the change? I would love to know more. What adjectives would you use to describe your character?

18. October 5th, 2015 at 7:54 pm      Reply Myles Says:

I am reading the book I Funny. The main character is Jamie. At the beginning of the book Jamie was very shy. At the end of the book he was not. He changed because his Uncle Frankie said to him why don’t you compete in the funniest kid contest. So he did. He didn’t tell anyone he went. He had to compete in front of tons of people. He came in first. Then he told everybody. Then Jaime competed in the state championship and won. That is how Jamie went to shy to not shy.

19. October 5th, 2015 at 7:44 pm      Reply kaili Says:

In the book I am reading, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, my character changes. I know this because in the book Greg changes from smart to not so smart. In the story he has an idea. His idea was to throw a football at Rowely while riding a toddler bike down a snowy hill. The reason he changes is because it was a few days after Christmas, and he didn’t get what he wanted. Also Rowely and Greg didn’t get to beat the world record for building the biggest snowman. That is how and why the character in my story has changed throughout my book.

• October 6th, 2015 at 3:22 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

He went from smart to not so smart? Can you give some examples that show that? What happened that changed him? Keep up the good work!

20. October 5th, 2015 at 6:29 pm      Reply suhani Says:

The character in my book changes throughout the book. The character I will be using is Bean. At first Bean is sad. In the text it shows the Gobi Desert and it states that pretty soon almost everywhere is going to look like this because of global warming. Towards the end of the story Bean feels shocked and excited because she had finally had an idea to fix global warming. According to the text it says ” We all wanted you to feel happy in nature by lying down, and so you would care about global warming. These are some reasons how the character changes throughout the story .

• October 6th, 2015 at 3:24 pm      Reply mschoening Says:

Good work! I am glad Bean came up with a good idea to help global warming. Your book talks about the Gobi Desert? What did we just read about the Gobi Desert?

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Archives

October 2015
M T W T F S S
« Sep   Nov »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  

Who has visited our blog?

Skip to toolbar