Ms. Quinson's 2011-2012 9H Blog

a place for students to express themselves

Shakespearean Sonnets

May30

Choose one sonnet to memorize and explain your choice, then, compare the two sonnets we read today. How are they similar? How are they different? Be specific and clear in your response.  Also, please don’t forget to comment on at least one other response in this thread.

My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips’ red:
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask’d, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound:
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer’s lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm’d;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimm’d;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander’st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow’st:
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

by posted under Poetry | 46 Comments »    
46 Comments to

“Shakespearean Sonnets”

1. May 30th, 2012 at 5:53 pm      Reply bridgetd1 Says:

I decided to memorize My Mistress’ Eyes because it was funnier but I also liked it better as a poem in general. Both poems were about the speaker being in love who someone and that he loved them more than anyone else. But “Shall I compare thee…” was much more snooty and the author aero more self-centered. The beginning of this poem seemed to be very thoughtful and it was but at the end the speaker said that the girl he ‘loves’ will stay like a summer’s day because he wrote this poem about her. Basically the author was trying to compliment her by complimenting himself. But in “My mistress’ eyes…” the author seems more humble. Unlike the first poem the beginning of this poem starts off sounding like the author is insulting his mistress but at the end he says that she is may not be perfect but she is his and he loves her just the way she is. This poem is more comedic which is more of what I like. The first poem would seem more romantic if you did not think about both poem too hard but I think that it is the other way around.

2. May 30th, 2012 at 5:55 pm      Reply johnw2 Says:

I chose the “My Mistress’ Eyes” sonnet as the one I am going to memorize. I chose this sonnet because, to me it is better to tell the truth kindly, than it is to over exaggerate something that is or is not true. I feel if you are going to tell a girl something you should not lie, or exaggerate. This is because it is not fair to them that they are being fed lies by a man, whom is trying to get his own personal gains. I feel that if I become one of those kind of men, that I will never truly understand what it is to be in love. The one I chose is a man telling the truth about his love. He knows that she is not perfect, and that she is not a goddess. However he does not care about that. All he knows is that she is his, and he is hers. This shows that this man in the sonnet is devoted to this woman no matter what happens. However the other sonnet sounds like a man simply trying to impress a women whom he knows nothing about. The man in the other sonnet simply wants her for his own personal gain and cares nothing for his so called “love”. Just so long as she is beautiful, and stays that way. In all I feel that the sonnet I chose is the better sonnet for the many reasons I have shown above.

• May 30th, 2012 at 7:00 pm      Reply Autumn N. Says:

I like what you said about how is unfair to lie to the woman for personal gain and that the embellishments are untrue. Truth is what a relationship should be based on. Your point of view is interesting because I just re-read both poems and in “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” Shakespeare never mentions true love, only how she is perfect. In “My mistress’ eyes”, Shakespeare speaks of his rare devotion to her.

• May 30th, 2012 at 9:02 pm      Reply elizabethp4 Says:

I completely agree! I love the wording, too. “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day” is kind of like an over-exaggerated pickup line, if you really think about it… While “My mistress’ eyes” is an actual declaration of love.

• May 30th, 2012 at 9:29 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

I like your explanation for why you chose your sonnet. So true…

• May 30th, 2012 at 9:35 pm      Reply Anton Says:

Interesting ideas. I agree with them as well.

• May 30th, 2012 at 10:23 pm      Reply innag2 Says:

I ABSOLUTELY agree with everything you say. I mean, as a girl, how could I not? 🙂
      But what you say is true, and it’s good that some guys want to become like that.
      On the other hand, a girl does like to hear about why she is so great and why the guy loves her, and not always all her bad qualities, or qualities she doesn’t have. 😛

• May 30th, 2012 at 10:39 pm      Reply carak1 Says:

Oh my God, Inna! You are hilariLOUIS! (I HAD TOO SOWWY!)

I completely agree with both what you and John said.

Well put, John!

3. May 30th, 2012 at 5:59 pm      Reply amandaf2 Says:

I really enjoyed the poems we read in class today. They are similar because they the speaker is describing someone that they love in both of them. In both sonnets the speaker loves the woman that he is talking about a lot. However in each poem the love is shown in a different way. In the poem that we read first in class the speaker is bragging about how beautiful his woman is. He explains how much he loves her and how she is even better that a summer’s day. The speaker in the first poem thinks that his woman is the best of anything and shows his love for her by telling her how perfect that she is. However in the second poem that we read, the speaker shows his love by explaining that she is not perfect, but he loves her anyway. He explains that his woman does not have perfectly red lips, rosy cheeks, or white skin, but she is special and rare and he loves her greatly. Both poems show love, but in some ways the second poem is even more complementary. The speaker in the second poem shows that he loves his woman for who she is, not just for flawless facial beauty.

4. May 30th, 2012 at 6:21 pm      Reply johnk4 Says:

I chose the second sonnet as the one to memorize because first it would be strange to tell a girl that I like you through sonnet meant for a boy. also it seemed easier to memorize. ( That is how my brain works.) I found it to be easier to memorize because it has a theme. It is all about imperfections. all I have to think about are ways to describe a girl and there, I memorized the quatrain. I don’t have anything against girls, but Shakespeare did include all of those comments on his love. The sonnets are both similar due to their setup. They are both sonnets that Shakespeare created. Also they speak of the same thing; love. However they are different because they were meant for different people. The first one was meant for a male and the second one was meant for a female. also the first one gushes over object of lover for the entire poem, saying only positive things. The second one insults the recipient until the last couplet. Also Shakespeare’s use of shock in both are different. In the first sonnet he says that for his beauty he will be immortal, and for the second sonnet he says that although the lady is not perfection she is good enough in the heart. Shakespeare in the first sonnet seems almost the man’s equal, but in the second sonnet he seems to look down upon the woman.

5. May 30th, 2012 at 6:55 pm      Reply Autumn N. Says:

I chose “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” as the sonnet to memorize. In this sonnet, Shakespeare is comparing his love to a summer’s day, something that is loved by and longed for by everyone. Only, Shakespeare is saying that this woman is even better than a summer day. In summer, rough winds destroy flowers, it goes by too quickly, sometimes it’s too hot, sometimes it’s too cloudy, in the end the best days eventually decline, and seasons change. But, the woman that he is speaking of is an everlasting summer. Her beauty and kindness never fades and her life and love is eternal. I love what he is saying to her.
    In “My mistress’ eyes”, it sounds like Shakespeare is insulting her at first. He is pointing out all of her flaws. Her lips aren’t red enough, her skin isn’t pale enough, her hair is wiry, her cheeks aren’t rosy, her breath doesn’t smell like perfume, her voice isn’t like music, and she treads instead of flying like a goddess. However, Shakespeare brings us to a very nice ending where he says that despite all of her flaws he loves her unconditionally. In fact, these flaws are what makes up part of the reason that he loves her.
    These sonnets are obviously very different. In the first, Shakespeare is saying that she is perfect and there is no one else like her but in the second he is saying that she is flawed but that is why he loves her so much.

6. May 30th, 2012 at 7:18 pm      Reply coryannm2 Says:

I chose to memorize the first poem, shall I compare thee to a summer’s day. Not that I agree with this sonnet is saying, but because it describes what many people think. Shakespeare also shows some arrogance in this sonnet, in the last line, by saying that this sonnet will be known forever because it is so amazing, basically. While in the other sonnet there isn’t this arrogant aspect. The first sonnet also backs up the idea that women have to be perfect and never fade; they must always be perfect. The second sonnet, however, says that the woman he loves isn’t perfect, but he still loves her. This woman is real, and not perfect, but no one is perfect man or woman. The sonnets seem as if two different people wrote them because they have such different perspectives.

7. May 30th, 2012 at 7:52 pm      Reply briannab3 Says:

I think these 2 Shakespearean sonnets contradict each other in some ways. In “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day?” Shakespeare writes about outer beauty only. That is all that matters in that sonnet because it is all about being beautiful. He even says that as long as the sonnet exists, so will the beauty the sonnet is addressed to. He never says anything about the person’s feelings or his emotions about them or how he might love them. Only how they are beautiful. So I don’t think this sonnet is about love because love is never mentioned or implied; you don’t have to love someone to acknowledge that they are beautiful on the outside. However in the “My Mistress’ eyes” sonnet, he makes a point to say that whoever it was addressed to is far from perfect, but he loves her nonetheless. He flat out says that she has bad breath, bad complexion and isn’t graceful; from his description she is not a typical beauty like the one he describes in the previous sonnet. But most importantly, in this sonnet, he is unconditionally in love with this woman, based on her internal beauty rather than external, and in my opinion that is more heartfelt.

• May 30th, 2012 at 8:04 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

Your right, the two sonnets do kind of contradict each other.

• May 30th, 2012 at 10:16 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

It is strange to think how the same man could create both these sonnets when they are so different. However, that’s the beauty of Shakespeare’s ability to write!

• May 31st, 2012 at 7:31 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

I agree with both you and Sarah. The two sonnets do somewhat contradict each other, but they have the are both professions of his love. Shakespeare is a very versatile writer!

8. May 30th, 2012 at 8:14 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

I chose the sonnet, “Shall I compare thee…”. I chose this one because I read it a couple times and it seemed easy to memorize. I had already memorized the first 5 lines in about a half an hour. The other sonnet was like a tongue twister to me. No matter how many times I read the first two lines, I cold never say them cleanly and I also couldn’t memorize them. Both the sonnets are talking about someones beauty. In the sonnet that I chose, it is talking about how beautiful this person is by comparing her to a summers day. It only talks about outer beauty and the last two lines kind of make the him seem arrogant like he knows that the only way her beauty will survive forever is through this awesome poem he wrote. The other sonnet, although it also talks about beauty, he says how this women doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful to him. He says that even though she is not model perfect, he still loves her and thinks that she is beautiful.

• May 30th, 2012 at 9:06 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

Haha, your lucky then… I’m having trouble deciding because to me they both seem to have the same level of memorization required. I’m pretty sure I could memorize both of them if I wanted to…

9. May 30th, 2012 at 8:15 pm      Reply sabrinak1 Says:

What I find interesting with these two great sonnets is how similar they are in some ways and so different in others. In the second one, it starts off complimenting the woman, calling her fair and beautiful and comparable with a summer’s day. The other poem starts off insulting the women, saying she is just average. She has eyes nothing like the sun and lips of not the brightest red. Yet, the first one ends up being even sweeter than the second. The second ends saying how wonderful she is and complimenting her to the highest degree. The other one exhibits the saying “You aren’t perfect, but you are perfect for me”. How can someone possibly be perfect? This is why this poem is much sweeter than the sugary compliments of the other. No matter how kind the man is, no woman can float or have eyes like the sun or skin that is white or lips bright red. A woman also can’t be compared equally with a season. These poems are both meant to make the woman feel beautiful and special but only the first one really seems to accomplish that. I would much rather be called average but perfect the way I am than be called a hot sticky summer day that is not a perfect season. Also, the second one has in the end Shakespeare mocking the reader saying that the only way she will be beautiful is if the great sonnet written by him stays alive. That’s not the highest form of flattery! I much prefer the first poem, it is truly nicer and can make every woman feel beautiful.

10. May 30th, 2012 at 8:15 pm      Reply Ben E. Says:

I am still determined to memorize Introduction to Poetry, but since Mrs. Quinson won’t let me, I am going to memorize “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day”. I like the tone the poem sets, it’s as if it is a poem of love, but with closer analysis you realize it is talking about itself. Although this is arrogent of Shakespeare, I find this quite humorous the fact that the poem is basically calling itself more beautiful than summer.
    The two poems we read in class are similar because they are both sonnets written by Shakespeare and they both are talking about beauty. They are different in the fashions they talk about beauty. In “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day” talks about how lovely the receiver is and says that they are more temperate and lovely than summer itself. On the other hand, “My Misstress’s Eyes” talks about how appearance is always over-exaggerated in love, and nobody is perfect, yet the narrator’s love to him seems very close. Both of these sonnets were good, and I think they both did a great job of doing what they were wrote to do.

• May 30th, 2012 at 9:21 pm      Reply nikital Says:

I don’t quite think that the poet was boasting any more. Instead, as Leon mentioned, he could have been simply attempting to preserve the beauty of his loved one for as long as “eyes can see”. Later and now, as we read the poem, it does still give life to the lady, who is probably long passed.
      Of course, this could just be going too deep into the poem, and perhaps it really is meant to be arrogant… I just hope that I’m not torturing confessions out of it. Hopefully, they’ll come in time, maybe not fully, but I’ll be satisfied nevertheless.

11. May 30th, 2012 at 8:50 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

I chose to memorize the poem, “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day…” for no good reason, but because it struck me as easier to memorize, not because I agree more with the text. In this sonnet, Shakespeare’s tone and choice of words is bolder and more confident than in the other sonnet. In the last couplet, he is saying that since his poem is destined to be great, it will live on for all of time. I see both sonnets as equally charming and loving toward his “mistress”. However, this sonnet primarily focuses on how this lover’s beauty will never fade and makes that of a summer day pale in comparison, and the other one is conveying that he knows his mistress isn’t perfect, but he still loves her the way she is. He says in the other sonnet, his mistress’ is not nearly as good as the golden standards of beauty, but he will love nonetheless. I wonder if his other sonnets were all about love as well. Shakespeare certainly had an ability to create a captivating, passionate sonnet no matter what the subject or idea, and that is the reason that they live on for people like us to read.

12. May 30th, 2012 at 9:03 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

I like the sonnet My mistress’ eyes better for its meaning, but I feel Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? is more appealing in some ways. Depending on how you look at it, the poet may not necessarily be boasting his superior writing. Instead, he could have just written this poem to preserve the beauty of his loved one forever, so that as long as ” eyes can see”, people who read this sonnet will know of the beauty of this woman. It is only the last line: “and this gives life to thee” that kind of knocks out my view of this sonnet, but anyhow it is still great poetry.

I found this sonnet online and I thought it was interesting. It is called Sonnet 138, and it is as follows:

When my love swears that she is made of truth,
    I do believe her though I know she lies,
    That she might think me some untutored youth,
    Unlearnèd in the world’s false subtleties.
    Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
    Although she knows my days are past the best,
    Simply I credit her false-speaking tongue,
    On both side thus is simple truth suppressed.
    But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
    And wherefore say not I that I am old?
    O love’s best habit is in seeming trust,
    And age in love loves not to have years told.
    Therefore I lie with her, and she with me,
    And in our faults by lies we flattered be.

Perhaps I’ll memorize this Sonnet, or I’ll probably memorize Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?

• May 30th, 2012 at 9:14 pm      Reply nikital Says:

Wow! I really like what you mentioned about the poet not boasting about his sonnet, but instead trying to preserve the beauty of his loved one for “as long as eyes can see”. And later, in fact, the poem does give a new life to the lady, probably long passed.
      I also believe that Sonnet 138 is great, and definitely worth memorizing. You should ask Mrs. Quinson tomorrow!

13. May 30th, 2012 at 9:06 pm      Reply nikital Says:

After reading both sonnets several times, I chose to memorize the one that begins with “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?”. It’s a beautiful poem, and I marvel how the words swirl around in my head, painting strong, clear, and deep pictures as the sonnet progresses. Out of the two, it is the one that I feel would fit most snugly in my heart, being a perfect blend of solemnity, harmony, joy, beauty, and love: matters that deeply impress themselves upon me in both in life and literature.
    Both sonnets, however, are seldom regarded as anything less than poetic masterpieces. Still, they are different. “My Mistress’ Eyes” begins with the writer’s blatant acknowledgement of the various imperfections in his mistress. Later on, though, he reveals that despite her flaws, there is no other lady whom he would love more. “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day”, on the other hand, starts with the author’s praising of his love, and comparing her beauty to that of an eternal summer. In the end, he proclaims that his own poem gives her life and beauty. Though both poems feature the characteristics of the author’s love(s), each does so in a distinct way, which appeals differently to every individual.

14. May 30th, 2012 at 9:21 pm      Reply elizabethp4 Says:

I decided to memorize “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day”, simply because I love the way that the words flow and mesh and the beautiful images that Shakespeare gives the reader. In “My mistress’ eyes”, it is a funnier poem with a deeper meaning, but it would be slightly offensive to someone who is unprepared to listen to the whole poem. Maybe that’s why Shakespeare wrote it? Just kidding. Anyway, in “Shall I compare”, it is a completely superficial poem – it’s not remarking on anything special that Shakespeare and this unknown ‘you’ have, nor is it proclaiming his love to the supposed her. Shakespeare’s big ego is also present here, since he says that “so long lives this, and this gives life to thee”. It may seem like an innocent line, but it means that the memory of her beauty would only last as long as the poem is read and repeated (and memorized by 9H honor kids). However, in “My mistress’ eyes”, Shakespeare notes her faults, the fact that she has them and everybody has faults, but yet he still loves her and looks past them. Anyway, if you think about it, the person who isn’t as pale as paper and with lips as red as roses could be Mila Kunis, and I’ve never heard her called unattractive before. Shakespeare’s sonnets are all works of art, but each have a different message.

15. May 30th, 2012 at 9:27 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

The two sonnets we read in class were very similar, yet had many differences to them. They are both addressing beauty and expressing love but in different ways. The first sonnet “My mistress’…” is written to a girl and it focuses in on her flaws yet bringing out her beauty. The poet writes greatly about her, but then compares her to something greater. The poet expresses his love by showing her flaws, but accepting her for who she is. The second sonnet “Shall I compare…” is simpler and the poet compares a girl to summer pointing out the differences. The poet says things such as “summer’s lease hath all too short a date” but then saying that her “thy eternal summer shall not fade”. The poet says in the beginning he’s comparing summer and the girl but I think he is really contrasting their comparisons (if that makes sense).

The first sonnet is really strong and it really hits you hard while the second one is like a small slight wind. Both of these sonnets have negatives and positives. I prefer the second sonnet better because I highly doubt a girl would enjoy hearing about all her flaws. The negative part to sonnet two is that the listener may misunderstand and think she has the flaws of summer.

16. May 30th, 2012 at 9:33 pm      Reply Anton Says:

I, being myself, intend to memorize both, because I can. One today, the other tomorrow (challenge 48% accomplished) The one I am starting with however will be “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day.” I found this one to be more elegant upon first glance. It is clearly a complement from the beginning, unlike the other. In the second line it already states that the subject is better than a summer’s day. The other one appears to be an insult at first glance, and only later becomes visible as a complement. This one also has good wishes for the subject. It provides light imagery, although with a sad tone, while the other provides dark images. Other than this, it is difficult to say why it appeals to me more. It just feels nicer than the other, thats about it.

17. May 30th, 2012 at 9:36 pm      Reply tylerf2 Says:

I personally like both sonnetts and wish I did not have to choose between them, but I am going to memorize the sonnett “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day,” for it seems like the more appealing sonnett. “My Mistress’ Eyes” certainly tells the truth about us all, that we are not perfect, but that that special someone still loves us for who we are. But I feel that “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day” is one that would appeal more to someone, for it is pointing out all the positives instead of focusing on the negatives. Also in this sonnett, it is stating that those positive qualities that the person loves shall last forever, even when they pass away. That their beauty is eternal and shall be recognised by all who read this.

Now, I do not believe that Shakespeare intended to mean that she is beautiful because of the poem I wrote, but simply wanted to record that beauty on paper and truly make it last forever, but that’s just my opinion.

• May 30th, 2012 at 10:00 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

I agree with your reasoning about “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day”; I chose it as well.

18. May 30th, 2012 at 9:46 pm      Reply sharonm1 Says:

“My Mistress’ Eyes” is the sonnet I decided to memorize. This is because I liked how it was different from the usual sonnets and poems. Usually, in these kinds of writing the woman is always compared to a goddess or a summer’s day and her beauty and personality is exaggerated to the point were it is unrealistic. I like how in this sonnet, his lover is described like a normal human, not perfection. She has multiple flaws but the poet loves her for all her imperfections. The other sonnet seems shallow to me. The sonnet is focused solely on her beauty rather than actual love. Shakespeare sounds a bit conceited when he claims that as long as his sonnet is being read, her beauty will no be forgotten. “In My Mistresses eyes” he talks of his rare devotion to the woman he loves rather than beauty and perfection.

19. May 30th, 2012 at 9:57 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

After reading both poems, I decided to memorize the “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day” sonnet. I find that the wording flows more and, at least to me, is generally more interesting than “My mistress’ eyes”. In turn, this clearer writing makes it easier to memorize. Both “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” and “My mistress’ eyes” show love towards the receiver, but carry it out differently. In “Shall I compare”, Shakespeare’s many examples of flattery basically try to tell the receiver how they are perfect. However, in the last line, he said that her beauty would only be remembered because of his poem. In effect, he gave himself credit for her remarkable beauty, which is very egotistical to say the least. In “My mistress’ eyes”, Shakespeare talks about how she has imperfections, but still loves her anyway. Of the two, this seems to have the deeper love- he shows that he loves her because of her personality, not just appearance. To me, “Shall I compare” seems more empty since it is all flattery. Both sonnets have to do with love, but carry very different themes along with them.

20. May 30th, 2012 at 10:11 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

Both sonnets were masterpieces by Shakespeare. They are both about a speaker madly in love with a woman that he loved above everyone else. However, I chose to memorize “My Mistress’ Eyes.” It seems more like an actual declaration of love, while the other sonnet seems to be the speaker bragging about how perfect his mistress is. “My Mistress’ Eyes” is basically the speaker saying while the woman he loves is not perfect, he loves her just the way that she is. I love how it appears to be insulting the woman in the beginning, but actually becomes a wonderful compliment. The other sonnet is basically the speaker over-exaggerating how wonderful and beautiful the woman he loves is. In addition, the woman the speaker loves will remain beautiful because he wrote the poem. It just seems more like lies that the speaker is using lies and exaggerations to impress the woman and to use her for his own personal gain. He is not being truthful, which you should never do to someone you are in love with. However, the speaker in “My Mistress’ Eyes” is putting the “true” in true love by telling the truth and acknowledging the fact that he knows that she is not a goddess and is not the “prefect” woman. He loves her just the way she is, and overall this is a better way to view love. Overall, I view the speaker in “Shall I compare thee…” as an arrogant man who is using his lies and exaggerations to impress the woman he loves only for her beauty, and I view the speaker in “My Mistress’ Eyes” as a man devoted to the woman he loves no matter what she looks like and no matter what happens.

21. May 30th, 2012 at 10:21 pm      Reply innag2 Says:

I chose the “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” sonnet. I feel that it’s more appropriate for a girl to choose this one, just because the other one’s talking about a mistress, whereas this one can be interpreted for either sex. Not that it’s wrong if some girls chose the other one. That’s just how I think! Anyway, these two sonnets are similar and different. They’re similar because they both talk about love, and are talking about the one love in his (Shakespeare’s, the reader’s) life. They’re different because the one with the mistress talks about how his love isn’t perfect, but he still loves her, for everything that she is and not what she isn’t. In the “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?,” he talks about how amazing his love is, and how she is better than everything in the world, and how she will only stay that way because HE wrote a poem about her. In this way, they two sonnets are different.

22. May 30th, 2012 at 10:37 pm      Reply ashleys2 Says:

I chose to memorize “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day”. This sonnet seamed nice and sweet, and it reminded me of summer which is very soon. Also, I found the political cartoon of this sonnet we saw in class today to be funny. This poem is different from “My Mistress’ Eyes” because it is a lot more dramatic and unrealistic than the other sonnet. They are similar because they were both written for people, but “My Mistress’ Eyes” is a lot more truthful than “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day” because, after all, who’s eyes look like the sun and who’s skin is actually snow white? They are also written about love for people. I found it interesting how Shakespeare wrote“Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” for a man. But if I were getting one of these two sonnets recited, I wouldn’t mind either one. I just happen to think that “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” is nice because I happen to like dramatic, over the top declarations of love rather than realistic ones. 🙂

23. May 30th, 2012 at 10:46 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

After reading and analyzing each wonderful sonnet written by the famous playwright, Shakespeare, I decided to memorize the first one, “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” I chose to remember this sonnet because I found it to be more appealing and beautiful. The first quatrain portrayed beautiful imagery. While reading the famous sonnet, I had a picture in my mind and I absolutely love when a poem has a strong sense of imagery. I also find “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” to be more real. The speaker is comparing his love to the summer. “Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May” In love, there are rough times just like how there are rough winds that shake the May flowers. “And summer’s lease hath all too short a date: Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, And often is his gold complexion dimm’d; And every fair from fair sometime declines, By chance or nature’s changing course untrimm’d; But thy eternal summer shall not fade” I think that the speaker is saying how love is indeed short and there are times where things may go unplanned, which may even cause the beauty of love to decline but it shall not fade away. I really like how Shakespeare compares love in this sonnet rather than the “My mistress’s eyes”. I admire the imagery and real-ness in “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” which probably won me over.

24. May 30th, 2012 at 10:51 pm      Reply anthonym9 Says:

The two sonnets are very similar, but very different. “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day” is Shakespeare telling his mistress that she is beautiful, perfect and immortal. “My Mistress’ Eyes” is Shakespeare telling his mistress that she is not perfect, and nobody is perfect, but she is perfect for him. The two poems almost contradict each other because one says that his lady is perfect and the other says that no one is perfect. They are both similar because Shakespeare in both poems is trying to win over or complement someone. I wouldn’t recite “My Mistress’ Eyes” to a girl because she would leave before I even finish. In “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day” Shakespeare is complementing himself because he said that this lady will be immortal because her soul will live in his great poem. In that poem, Shakespeare is also almost bragging about how perfect his mistress is. “My Mistress’ Eyes” is a poem of a real declaration of love because she is not being compared to a goddess, which is impossible anyway.

25. May 30th, 2012 at 10:59 pm      Reply carak1 Says:

Both of these sonnets are about the love of a woman. The first is essentially an incredibly cheesy pick-up line. I believe that is not meant for a lover but rather for a chance acquaintance. It is the Shakespearean way of a guy saying to a girl, “Hey chick, you’re hot, or at least you must be since I think so!” However, it is very romantic and still much more charming and alluring than nearly any men alive today could write for the woman they love (or meet at a bar :)).

The second sonnet is also a love poem, but is written to a lover, not just some girl. It is mostly about how imperfect the ‘mistress’ is however, it ends with a couplet proving its true meaning. Shakespeare says that although his mistress isn’t perfect, he loves her and she is his. I chose this poem for a few reasons. For one, I think that it is a lovely sentiment that a woman need not be perfect to be loved. I didn’t choose the other sonnet (although I like it more for the style) because I think it is too cliche.

I think both are very romantic and I would be more than ecstatic if a boy were to recite either to me! I do not think that the first is quite as self-centered as it seems to be portrayed; I think that Shakespeare was right to say that he immortalized his love in a poem describing her perfection as only Shakespeare could. I would definitely be happy with that poem written about me! I doubt anyone would object.

26. May 31st, 2012 at 8:14 am      Reply michaelt10 Says:

I chose to memorize the Sonnet Shall I compare thee to a summers day. I chose this because I like the word choice in the poem and the way the sentences flow. It is a poem about life and endless summer. These two sonnets are different because in one, the speaker is pointing out imperfections and problems, but still loving the person. In the other one, the speaker is comparing the one he loves to the summer, and explaining how she is better than summer.

27. May 31st, 2012 at 9:37 am      Reply benjaminf Says:

I chose to memorize Shall I compare thee to a Summer’s day because I think that this is the more famous of the two sonnets, so if I did recite it, more people would recognize what I was talking about. Both of these sonnets are alike because they are both odes to women. The main difference is that the first one we read today is a little more of an exaggeration; it isn’t as heartfelt as the other one. The other sonnet keeps it real with the woman and says that she is not a goddess and she is actually a woman and he loves her for being real. The sonnets are so different in this way, which could be interpreted that the second poem we read today was making fun of the first sonnet because it says that no, my lady walks on the earth and doesn’t float because no one floats. While the other poem says that the lady’s eternal summer shall does not fade, while others’ declines, her eternal summer does not fade. In this sonnet, Shakespeare puts her above all other women. His other sonnet makes fun of the first because he realizes that this fake woman with white skin and red lips does not exist and he loves his lady because she is a real lady that walks on the ground.

28. May 31st, 2012 at 2:38 pm      Reply carlya1 Says:

I chose to memorize Shall I compare thee to a Summer’s day because I felt more connected to this sonnet. It is more well known and adds an extra message that the other sonent doesn’t. Both are similar because they both complement women that someone loved but are different because My mistress’s eyes is saying that she may not be perfect, but, she is mine and I love her anyway and Shall I compare thee to a Summer’s day is saying that as long as my poem is famous, your beauty will last. My mistress’s eyes is a pure, heart-felt poem and the reader can feel that these emotions are poured out into the poem and Shall I compare thee to a Summer’s day is more of a way for the poet to brag about his genius through his poetry. He is saying that as long as people keep reading and speaking his poem, as long as e is famous, her beauty will last.

29. May 31st, 2012 at 5:28 pm      Reply Jesse Says:

I chose My mistress’s eyes because I think it is a unique way to profess love to someone. By telling her that she has faults that set her apart and that is why he loves her, it is like telling her that she is more special than any other girl. I also chose this because it is used in a video online that I love. This is a little nerdy but the video stars two of my favorite actors David tennant and Cathrine tate from the BBC TV show Doctor Who. The video is histerical and i recognized the sonnet when Ms. Quinson read it in class. I think that is really cool that it just so happens to be the featured sonnet in the video.

30. May 31st, 2012 at 7:27 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

I chose to memorize Shall I compare thee to a Summer’s Day? because I think it is sweet and complimentary. It is also a well known sonnets that I have heard before and have been interested in. These two sonnets are similar because in both, Shakespeare professes his love to a woman. However, in Shall I compare thee to a Summer’s day, Shakespeare is saying that the woman is the most beautiful thing he has ever seen. That is very complimentary, but he kind of ruins it at the end by somewhat bragging about how great the poem is. In My mistress’ eyes, Shakespeare also professes his love, but in a much different way. Instead of saying she is the most beautiful thing, he talks all about her imperfections. I thought it was actually a little rude at first, but once we continued reading I realized that what he was trying to say was that, ‘she’s not perfect, but she’s mine and I love her,’ which is extremely sweet and more down to earth.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar