Ms. Quinson's 2011-2012 9H Blog

a place for students to express themselves

Curioser and Curioser!

May29

Free Swim!  Please discuss our discussions of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland here.  You may consider sense, nonsense, logic, numbers, satire, Literature (capital L) or anything else.

by posted under Alice in Wonderland | 49 Comments »    
49 Comments to

“Curioser and Curioser!”

1. May 29th, 2012 at 5:23 pm      Reply coryannm2 Says:

I was happy that we had read Alice In Wonderland. Having read it before, I must say, I got much more out of it this time. Having analyzed it, I have found that there is much more underneath the initial layer of nonsense. This novella really makes you think about society and what makes logic, what makes nonsense. For example when the Cheshire Cat said that he was mad because dogs are sane and he does the opposite of what they do, so therefore he must be mad. Yet, who says that the dogs aren’t mad or that differences make you mad. The discussion in class today, about the number 42, was also interesting. I also especially liked when we analyzed the Jabberwocky, because I love that poem. I think you should keep doing this with either the 7A or 9H kids.

2. May 29th, 2012 at 5:29 pm      Reply Jesse Says:

Alice’s adventures in Wonderland what a very fun book to read. The story and it’s charaters where ridiculous, but underneath all the nonsense, there was some sense. Lewis Carrol was often making fun of something in society. An example is when the Mock Turtle is talking to Alice about his school days, he makes a lot of puns and jokes about the classes the Mock Turtle took including lessons that got shorter everyday (lessening). There was quite a few puns in Wonderland. I also enjoyed it When Alice recited poems and mixed up the words. That was cute. Lewis carrol took real poems and rewrote parady versions of them to put in his book. Overall I think the best parts were the satire, the puns and the mixed up poems.

3. May 29th, 2012 at 5:47 pm      Reply amandaf2 Says:

I really enjoyed reading Alice in Wonderland. I enjoyed trying to make sense out of the nonsense in the story. I loved the satire in the novel about education and society. Alice also learns many lessons in Wonderland. She learns a lot about respect and knowing when to keep your mouth shut. I think that it was wise for Alice to go down the rabbit hole. I also liked the conversation that we had in class today. It is so interesting how often the number 42 pops up. However, I wonder if we are over thinking it. I wonder what would happen if we tried this with another number. Would there be just as many things that are associated with any given number. Overall, Alice in Wonderland was a fun novel to read. I think that this would be a good novel for 7E to do so they can see if they are ready for 9H.

4. May 29th, 2012 at 6:00 pm      Reply carak1 Says:

One motif that intrigued me throughout the novel was the satire of royalty. Of all the characters, those involved with the royalty seemed the most outrightly odd. The first time we are introduced to the royals of Wonderland, we meet the two footmen- one of the Duchess and the other of Queen. One is part fish, the other part frog. They invite each’s other masters to play croquet in very solemn tones. This information is delivered in very long parchments. The two proceed to bow and in so doing, become entangled in one another’s curls. In these little event, Lewis Carroll pokes fun at the method of communication between royals, their footmen, royal garments (the curls and the frog and fish appearances of the footmen), and the extreme solemnity of it all. (Right after that scene, the frog footman began to wait at the door of the Duchess’ cottage until he would be invited in.)

Both the Duchess and the Queen were portrayed to have odd body proportions (large heads and small bodies).

The whole royal family was a deck of cards, with the Queen being the queen of hearts. All the knights were jacks and they all had bodies made of cards.

The Queen’s servants rushed to paint the roses to appease their angry master.

The royal croquet game used peculiar instruments. Also, it wasn’t very enjoyable because of the constant “off with your head!”

I loved this novel! I really recommend that the 9Hers read it next year! I’m having my sister (6th grade) read the first chapter to see if it’s doable. I loved it!

• May 29th, 2012 at 7:29 pm      Reply nikital Says:

I agree. This was definitely a great novel. I think that the 6th or 7th graders could also do it next year. If they can read The Giver, they can definitely do Alice.

5. May 29th, 2012 at 6:17 pm      Reply lucyl2 Says:

Reading Alice in Wonderland was truly an adventure. It was a story that made me feel like a seven year old again. The experience of attempting to turn the story’s nonsense into something logical made the lessons interesting and fun. One thing that I noticed was that the Queen’s servants were cards. I found it ironic because they were really, all part of the Queen’s twisted games. While it is a good book, in my opinion, Alice in Wonderland is not “Literature captiol L”. The book obviously has staying power, seeing as it has been around for 165 years and we are still reading it, but Literature “capitol L” also include morals. While this story has simple morals like think before you speak, be kind to others, and don’t end up like a queen of hearts, we could generally learn the same things from a Dr. Seuss book (in a much shorter amount of time too). The book would be better for the &E kids than the 9H kids, though. It would be challenging enough for them, but it is to easy for kids like us. 🙂

• May 29th, 2012 at 9:04 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

I agree that it would be good for the 7E kids, but I think it was a nice break from all the serious literature to finish off the year.

• May 29th, 2012 at 11:06 pm      Reply innag2 Says:

I agree as well. I think it would be good for the 7E kids, but it may be too hard for some of them to handle. I know there were a lot of 7E classes, but there aren’t as many 9H classes, and if we as a 9H class read all of it and still couldn’t decipher all it’s meanings, then I don’t know if some of the 7E students can.
      Plus, it was a really good book to read at the end of the year for us! 🙂
      I think we needed a little silliness and nonsense after all that serious and depressing literature. 😛

6. May 29th, 2012 at 6:41 pm      Reply johnk4 Says:

First I thought that this was not literature with a capital L. Ms. Quinson said so, and I at first believed her. However I want to bring up a point. Isn’t this hard to understand. Did I work your brain to make sense out of this nonsense? Isn’t this what good-quality literature is supposed to do? Also I disagree with Lewis Carroll not being intoxicated while writing this. Very sorry Ms, Quinson but I do not adopt your views on this matter. This piece just seems so random and unpredictable. Its does not seem like the work of a clear mind. Also as I said in class, all the theories about 42, etc are coincidences. People are overanalyzing the book. I have to either let go of my idea about this book being a great piece or the or my steadfast belief that this book is looked at too closely.

• May 29th, 2012 at 8:15 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

I agree that this was not literature capital L, but I think that Carroll’s examples and the other appearances of the number 42 were not merely coincidental.

• May 29th, 2012 at 10:11 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

I think it should be Literature Capital L. People have been reading and enjoying it for over 150 years, and although the story is totally nonsense, at the same time it is not.

• May 29th, 2012 at 10:04 pm      Reply anjuv1 Says:

Nice post! I don’t know if this book is considered literature capital L, but people sure do analyze this book a lot!

7. May 29th, 2012 at 7:07 pm      Reply johnw2 Says:

Alice in Wonderland is a very interesting novel in more ways than one. This book is a ride through a very interesting man’s brain. Anyone who is able to come up with Alice in Wonderland without being on drugs, has very unique imagination. I know that Lewis Carroll didn’t do drugs, and was completely sane. However this book is very, very strange. I also feel that we looked way to closely at the book. Lewis Carroll wrote this as a children’s book. The book is not supposed to be looked at other than what it truly is. Now is this a good book? Yes I do think it is, but I don’t think it is intended to be analyzed by a ninth grade honors class. I will say that it did make my brain work to solve some of this logic, but I don’t think it was that challenging other than a few logic problems. I would recommend a different book for the 7E classes to read as a test. Something with another thinking element to it besides sense and nonsense. All in all I feel that Alice in Wonderland is a good book, but we should not over analyse every little detail.

• May 29th, 2012 at 7:10 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

I agree. I don’t think we should over-analyze every single detail. Over-analyzing every detail can fog up (lack of words) our actual idea of the novella.

8. May 29th, 2012 at 7:16 pm      Reply bridgetd1 Says:

I noticed that throughout the novel Alice changed not just in appearance but also in her personally. She got larger and smaller a lot but her manners changed too. The creatures of Wonderland did not treat Alice with the same curtesy that the people I’m her world did and as she spent more and more time in Wonderland she began to not care about her manners. At first she was worried about knocking on the doors of a house with no one in it and a house with a lot of noise coming from it. But then when she got to the tea party she just sat down at the table without being invited, as the hare pointed out. Alice also became more bold when she was talking to people but learned to watch what she said because she did not want to offend anyone, and according to her the people in Wonderland were easily offended. Also, Alice did not want to be left alone in the strange place with no one to talk to.

9. May 29th, 2012 at 7:24 pm      Reply sharonm1 Says:

I loved “Alice in Wonderland”. It was fun to see the process of Alice maturing and adapting to her surroundings, like when she learned to watch her tongue when speaking to the creatures of Wonderland. I enjoyed trying to decipher all the nonsense in Alice in Wonderland; it made the class discussions interesting. I loved Lewis Carroll’s characterization of Alice. Her innocence and youth made it cute when she tried to act mature by using big words, while having no idea about the real content and getting the message all wrong. Alice kept mixing up words to the poems she was ordered to recite, which resulted in the poem conveying a completely different message. Lewis Carroll was clever in his incorporation of different literary elements into the book and there was a lot for the reader to think about. When it came to our class discussions, I still think that the number 42 holds no significance and people are overanalyzing this. Overall, Alice in Wonderland was an odd but hugely entertaining book, which held my interest from start to finish.

10. May 29th, 2012 at 7:26 pm      Reply nikital Says:

Quite a few things in Alice’s adventures in Wonderland struck me as intriguing. One such matter was Lewis Carroll’s use of the number 42. This mystical number appears in this novel, as well as in Through the Looking Glass several times, in relation to characters’ ages. However, 42 had been a prominent number long before Alice. In Ancient Egypt alone, there were 42 Nomes (governmental units), 42 gods and goddesses, and even 42 principles of Ma ‘at (the Ancient Egyptian personification of physical and moral law, order, and truth). References to this mysterious number also are evident in Judaism, Kabbalah, and Christianity. On top of this, many modern day authors seem to have a fascination for this number. On page 42 of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Harry discovers that he is a wizard. In A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the answer to “Life, the Universe, and Everything” is 42. In sports, Jackie Robinson’s number was 42, while in Japanese culture, it is considered to be a sign of misfortune, as it sounds quite like phrase “unto death”. With so many different circumstances, it seems more than a coincidence that this same particular number would be chosen each time. But why? Are we just trying to make sense out of nonsense?
    Another circumstance that struck me as interesting was the theme of dream v. reality. Throughout Alice in Wonderland, Alice encounters a variety of curious situations, from meeting a deck of cards to never quite being the right size. Later, her adventures turn out to be simply figments of her imagination, part of her dream. However, I do not believe that we are meant to simply dismiss them as so. Alice’s exploits in the mythical land, though sometimes simply ridiculous, are revealed to contain valuable ideas on morals, morality, authority, and much more. After all, Alice once did say, “Who am I then? Tell me that first, and then, if I like being that person, I’ll come up: If not, I’ll stay down here till I’m somebody else.” In this childish statement, she asks the fundamental question of the human condition.

11. May 29th, 2012 at 7:30 pm      Reply alwynp2 Says:

Alice in Wonderland may not be considered as a “literature capitol L” book. It should have been read in the 7 Enriched English classes, not 9H. It was fun trying to make sense out of nonsense. The Mock Turtle’s description of school was hilarious. They were called “lessons” because they lessen every day. Alice also changes in not only size, but personality too. She becomes more polite. At the beginning Alice was always interrupting when people were talking. At the end she becomes more polite to the people of Wonderland. I did not like the ending. Alice just wakes up and realizes that Wonderland was just a dream. It reminds me of when I have a dream. Just when I reach the good part, my alarm goes off. The next time I try to bring back the dream, but can’t.

12. May 29th, 2012 at 7:33 pm      Reply benjaminf Says:

After reading Alice in Wonderland for the first time, and my conclusion is that it is so famous and celebrated because of the fact that it can be read simply for children, or it can be thought about deeply which is what more advanced readers would do. Unlike other stories where it has to go one way or the other, Alice in Wonderland is one of the few that can go both ways. I think that Lewis Carroll wrote at the end that Alice’s adventures were all a dream because that way you could relate it in someway to real life, because Carroll talked about how Alice’s adventures made her become a better person. Without this quick scene of real life, there would be no reality to compare wonderland to. This made sure that this surreal story had a moral, which some people believe is needed for a story to be a great one. But as always, I have thought what if imagery and for example the number 42 were not put there on purpose by the author, but just discovered by the readers and critics. I doubt this is true, but it is fun to think that what if Carroll meant to write an entertaining story for children and accidentally putting in imagery and morals because he was a smart man that couldn’t help but sound smart as he wrote.

13. May 29th, 2012 at 7:34 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

I’m glad we read the novella, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll as our final book this year. While reading this novella, it was confusing at some parts but also delightfully enchanting to read. It was definitely a break from the heavier material we’ve read previously. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland can be declared Literature (capital L) to some but not to me. I actually don’t think it’s Literature (Capital L) material but some of the concepts in this novella are similar to other Literature (Capital L) novels. I can understand why some other people might consider Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland to be a Literature (Capital L). If you analyze every single detail, you can eventually point out some ideas and concepts that are relatable to Literature (Capital L). However, I don’t approve of over analyzing every single detail. I think that could fog up (lack of words) your real opinion of the novella.

I’d also like to take the time to discuss Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland versus the original 1865 novel, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. In the 2010 film, Alice is nineteen years old and is confronted by a marriage proposal. Unable to make a decision and very confused, she decides to follow a rabbit and falls into a rabbit hole accidentally, where she gets transported to Wonderland. In Wonderland, the legend (can you even call it that?) says that a girl named Alice is the only one to slay the Jabberwocky, a dragon-like creature controlled by the Red Queen who terrorizes the people of Wonderland. Of course, this was very different to the novella. In the novella, Alice is around seven years old and follows the rabbit into the hole to Wonderland. The novella only discusses the adventures of Alice. Although many people argue and dislike the movie, I still enjoyed it. I think people who have not read the novella will enjoy it more than the people who love the book.

I think Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland would be appropriate for the 7E class. But I also agree with what Cara said today. It might scare some seventh graders. I think Ms. Quinson should find another novel for the 7E to read. However, I think Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland should be on the summer reading list for 7E, so the new seventh graders can be introduced into more difficult material that they will read later on.

14. May 29th, 2012 at 7:35 pm      Reply Autumn N. Says:

I think that overall, Alice in Wonderland was a good book. It was meant to teach simple lessons to young children but there were a few things that could be picked up again now that we are older. However, I do believe that it was meant for enjoyment and not meant to be put under scrutiny by us. Some things may have been purely coincidental. Yes, Lewis Carroll was a professor and a very intelligent man but I also think that if he wanted us to review his book he would rather us scrutinize the composition of his characters rather than hidden meanings in the words. So what did the character’s teach us? In simplicity, since this was meant for children, Alice taught us to think before we act. The Queen of Hearts taught us that by treating others with respect, you earn respect. The Cheshire Cat taught us about perspective and the way that you look at others.

15. May 29th, 2012 at 7:36 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

I really enjoyed reading Alice in Wonderland, and analyzing it as a class made it clear that there was some sense buried underneath all of the nonsense. Lewis Carrol frequently made fun of aspects of society such as education and royalty. Lewis Carrol mocks education by adding the character of the Mock Turtle. The Mock Turtle tells Alice about his schooling experiences. In school, (which he took under the sea), he learned ‘the basics’ such as uglification, derision, and of course washing. Washing underwater? That was confusing! How do you wash something that is already underwater and already wet!? Carrol made fun of royalty by making the bodies of the queen and duchess proportionless. Both of their heads were larger than their bodies, showing how ridiculous the two women were. Also, the queen always yelled, “off with his head!”, every time she did not like what someone did. Very rarely did any of these beheadings actually take place, showing she does not truly have much authority and that she is not respected. (Also, that she is short-tempered!!)

16. May 29th, 2012 at 7:48 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

In the short novel Alice in Wonderland we traveled with young Alice to a different world that was believed to be just a dream. We analyzed the different characters situations and dug deep to see what lesson Lewis Carol was teaching us. Personally, I did not like this book. It was an easy read but it generally wasn’t my favorite. Lewis Carol is great at writing nonsense, but I don’t think I’m his type of audience.

The Duchess and Queen were two interesting characters to me and I wanted to learn more about them. It seems there was a small amount of tension between them maybe because of dispute over power. I would’ve loved to read a scene where the two of them encountered.

Also, since I had previously watched the movie I was able to compare the two. I watched the movie two years ago so I cannot recap much but I’m pretty sure that in the movie the Mad Hatter was a prominent character, while in the book, he’s in one scene and gone. Then again, every character is only in the book for 1 chapter other than the rabbit.

I found the rabbit to be very interesting. I think he is supposed to symbolize the gateway between fantasy and the “real world” because he is the only character we know of in the book that is able to come out of Wonderland into our Earth.

I think Lewis Carol only put characters such as the mock turtle and the Mad Hatter in one chapter so we can develop our own ideas from it. For example, a director like Tim Burton may find a greater significance in the Mad Hatter than the Queen. As we were reading, we found many symbols, or ideas that WE as a class thought that Lewis Carol was trying to teach us. We’ll never know if Lewis Carol wanted us to learn and criticize society from reading this, or whether it was just supposed to be a fun read about a magical wonderland. 🙂

• May 29th, 2012 at 9:41 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

What I love about this novella is that is can be viewed either way. It has silly nonsense and fun for children, yet it also has enough material to be intended for more advanced readers.

17. May 29th, 2012 at 8:38 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

This adventure through “Alice in Wonderland” was very exciting and amusing as well. There were times when it seemed like a dream, such as the ever-changing sizes of Alice, and things that made you laugh, like the mock turtle. People have analyzed this novel over and over, and have come up with numerous deep meanings and symbols that Carroll may have put into his story. How do we know that this is just trying to make sense out of nonsense? Perhaps, Carroll was just impulsively writing an entertaining novel after all. However, we do know that he was a satirist, poking fun at various subjects, such as royalty and education. The intriguing character of the Queen is evidence that royalty is not always better, and the puns made from education gave us an interesting perspective on it. Another topic was the growing up of Alice, who went from a childish little girl to an aware, mature woman. This showed us what is expected of from people in society, her behavior nearing the conclusion of the book, and what is only meant for children, hers during the time of her first entrance to Wonderland. Wonderland was overall an extremely enjoyable place to read about, and the true meanings behind it can be debated by many.

18. May 29th, 2012 at 9:18 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

Overall I’m glad that we concluded our year with this novella. It truly is a great book that appeals in many ways. It satirizes aspects of society, teaches some lessons and morals along the way, and the fact that there is so much sense to be made from nonsense is just amazing. In addition, the way that people can read Alice in Wonderland can range from young children who read it for the fact that is silly nonsense to advanced readers who dig deep down beneath the surface of the novella and can analyze the themes, lessons, and morals within. The novella can even be viewed as a bildungsroman because Alice matures throughout the novella. It is debatable on whether or not Alice in Wonderland is Literature (capital L), but nonetheless it is a novella that has lasted throughout the ages and it’s something I would recommend to readers of any type.

This book is filled with wonderful morals and lessons that apply even today. A key moral lies in the very beginning. Sometimes you have to take a trip down the rabbit hole, meaning that sometimes you have to take chances in order to progress in some way. Alice took the chance of going down the rabbit hole without a single thought, and she came out of her trip to Wonderland as a more mature person. Some lessons we learn about involve respect and knowing when to keep your mouth shut. Some things are better left unsaid, which Alice didn’t learn until she met the lobster and decided not to mention the fact that she had eaten a lobster before.

I would recommend this book to 7E or 9H because, as I have mentioned earlier in this post, it is a novella that appeals to many different groups. How far you want to analyze the novella is merely a preference. You can choose not to go too far for 7E, or you could choose to go very in-depth for 9H. Actually, you could go very in-depth for 7E so that they can get a feeling for what 9H would be like.

• May 29th, 2012 at 9:26 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

I forgot to mention the number 42. It is amazing how often this number appears not only in the novella, but also in many other things. From religion to A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, 42 is a very important number. Why is it so important? Why is it the answer to “life, the universe, and everything” according to A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy? These questions are very interesting, but we do not know the answer. Could it be yet another example of trying to make sense from nonsense?

19. May 29th, 2012 at 9:28 pm      Reply sabrinak1 Says:

I wish we could have a big debate in class whether this book is literature capital L or not, but since we can’t I’ll have to do it right here! I do in fact think this book is literature capital L. Yes, it is generally aimed towards children but that has nothing to do with the actual depth of the book. Diary of a Wimpy Kid has a higher Lexile Level than To Kill a Mockingbird yet obviously is not even close to as deep. Isn’t it the same with Alice? Alice could easily be considered to be capital L because it is a classic, has lasted many years and will continue to last. It is a great story that almost everyone can say they have at least heard of, most people have read it or at least seen the Disney movie. It appeals to kids and adults yet different meanings can be pulled from the text depending on the reader. A kindergartner can read this and enjoy and understand it, and so can a highly noted college English professor. There are many great comments and satirizations of society and education, just as there are in To Kill a Mockingbird, so how come Mockingbird makes the cut yet Alice doesn’t? I found Alice to actually be a slightly more enjoyable book since it is so relatable to anyone who had wild fantasies as a child. When trying to relate to Mockingbird, most people fall flat as they have never been attacked by a crazy man in the dark while dressed as a ham! I personally think Alice in Wonderland *is* literature capital L and I hope you all think so too!

20. May 29th, 2012 at 9:32 pm      Reply tylerf2 Says:

I personally did not enjoy Alice in Wonderland as much as I thought I would. It was a very entertaining book and the discussion of it was interesting, especially on the view of what nonsense truly is. But just the book itself and the storyline seems almost too easy, and is a big shift from what we have read earlier on in the year. I personally think that this would probably be better for a lower level course (7E) than the higher classes like ours, mostly because we are all evolving mentally in our process of thinking and analysis and are more interested in reading literature capital L (this is only an opinion of mine. I don’t know how the rest of you feel on this, but its how I feel about this book). However, I did find the discussion of the number 42 quite interesting, and how much it turns up in the book and in general life. I have heard the quote on 42: “42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything.” But I never would have guessed that it appears so much more often in literature and in the entire world. Overall, I personally preferred the discussion rather than the actual book itself.

21. May 29th, 2012 at 9:32 pm      Reply carlya1 Says:

I feel that Alice in Wonderland was a very interesting look into a functioning world of pure nonsense preheat we believe to be nonsense. To the characters from wonderland, our world may seem as if it is nonsensical but we have adjusted to it so it seems rather normal. The characters from wonderland are simply mad but we are as well for believing in the nonsense and trying to make logical sense of it. If you dig deeper into Alice in Wonderland, you discover that there in logic interwoven with the nonsense. Lewis Carroll was a highly intelligent man who found a way to poke fun of education, royalty, courts, and justice and get away with it because so people don’t understand the true moral behind Alice’s trip. Sometimes falling to your temptations isn’t always bad. The journey they take you on will change you, for good or bad, and life will always bring you to the right place.

• May 29th, 2012 at 9:49 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

I agree especially how the characters of Wonderland might find our world as nonsensical as we find theirs.

22. May 29th, 2012 at 9:47 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

Alice and Wonderland was a cool book to analyze because there is so much to uncover underneath all the crazy things! I think the most interesting thing that we found in all the nonsense was the significance of the number 42. If I had read this on my own, I think I wouldn’t have even noticed the number. I would probably have been laughing too hard at Alice’s witty comeback about how it should have been the first rule in the book! Anyway, there are so many theories as to why Lewis Carrol chose the number 42, ranging all the way from things related to math, to things related to religion. At first glance I, just thought he picked a random number, but as I looked back, I saw that there were many things that might have to do with the number like when she tests herself with the multiplication in the beginning. Then, today on class we found so many more things having to do with the number. I always thought that when there was a number in a book, the author just always picked it randomly, but know I know that there might be some story behind why the number was chosen whether it was the author’s own personal reason or something greater than that.

23. May 29th, 2012 at 9:56 pm      Reply briannab3 Says:

I liked the last paragraph of Alice In Wonderland a lot. It was very sweet, especially from the loving perspective of Alice’s older sister. She knew that even when one day Alice would be a grown woman, but would never forget her adventures and dreams of a young child. Her heart would stay the same, and she would fill children’s eyes with joy of her wonderful stories, maybe of Wonderland, of just of her summer days. She would never run out of stories to tell, whether it be nonsense or sense. At the end of this book, it seems that this “curious dream” was to be the only time Alice visited Wonderland, but maybe it is not, and she will visit it many more times. If she does, I wonder if the events that take place will seem less strange and make more sense to her, of if they will remain jumbled. Maybe it depends on how she matures and grows up, but maybe everyone’s mind is the same in Wonderland.

24. May 29th, 2012 at 10:00 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

Alice in Wonderland is a peculiar read- the entire story is actually quite queer. I thought it was a great book, and there were a great many parts in the story that made me laugh. Even though this was partially a hilarious story, there still are some serious lessons that we should learn from reading this book. There were also numerous hidden meanings inside the text- numbers such as the famous 42, parodies of previously written poems, and symbolism.

Perhaps this book is not considered literature Capital L, but it is still definitely worth reading. I think it is similar to Harry Potter, in that it is meant as a children’s book, but with more detailed analysis, it can be an enjoyable read for adults too. The book Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll was written in 1865. Almost 150 years later, this book is still being read and adapted into different versions and enjoyed by all. Maybe Lewis Carroll’s ending paragraph was right- Alice’s tale would be told to other little children and it would make “their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale.”

I enjoyed this book; maybe I’ll decide to read Through the Looking Glass sometime soon.

25. May 29th, 2012 at 10:02 pm      Reply anjuv1 Says:

After finishing Alice in Wonderland, I was left confused, but fascinated. Making sense out of nonsense is quite difficult, but it is very interesting to figure it out. Plus it makes you feel extra smart (: I love how the author was able to satirize so many things. Everything he made fun of, to me, is actually somewhat true. The way he satirizes youth and the law. Also royalty is very interesting. Another thing that I liked was the reoccurring number 42. Carrol was able to use this number throughout the whole book, sometimes not catching anyone’s attention. I wish I could fully understand what Lewis Carrol meant when he was writing this book, but I think the purpose of this book was to make you think. I enjoyed Alice in Wonderland very much (:

26. May 29th, 2012 at 10:07 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

To finish off the year, I’m glad we chose this book. The nonsense throughout the book, along with the witty plays on words and random yet funny events, made this novella very enjoyable. This is already a good basis, but through further analysis, deeper meanings can be found. Throughout the story, Lewis Carroll included many examples of satire. He made fun of education by the experiences of the Mock Turtle. The Mock Turtle gave Alice descriptions of school, where he learned “lessens” including “uglification and derision” and washing underwater. Carroll also satirized royalty by giving the Queen a strange physical appearance and an unreasonable attitude. Another deeper meaning was the presence of the number 42. This small, subtle detail turned out to be much more meaningful after analyzing it. According to the Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, 42 is the answer to “life, the universe, and everything”. Throughout her journey in Wonderland, Alice gradually became more polite and mature as well. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland was fun to read, but also had some very interesting deeper meanings.

27. May 29th, 2012 at 10:09 pm      Reply Anton Says:

What a whimsical book this was. A famous children’s book, it is, and is commonly regarded as nonsense. However, when analyzed, sense can be found. There is a decent amount on how submissive little children are, no matter who they are taking orders from. Alice takes orders from the rabbit, who should not have any authority over her. She later continues to fear the animals when she is large and stuck in the house. However, as the book progresses and she seems to become wiser, she is not so quick to take orders from others. Also, in the beginning, she constantly bursts out and says something. Later she watches what she says. Also I loved what seems to be his obsession with the number forty-two. So many things are related to 42 in Lewis Carols writings. It is interesting how Douglas Adams chose the number forty-two as the answer. 42 is a rather significant number. Douglas Adams CLAIMS to have just randomly come up with the number, and that it had nothing to do with anything. I personally find it fascinating.

28. May 29th, 2012 at 10:47 pm      Reply anthonym9 Says:

Alice in Wonderland was fun, yet confusing book. It was very interesting because when our class analyzed it, we made some sense out of nonsense. I still wonder if this book has a moral and if it does than what is it? I believe that there is a moral to this story, but it can be many things. One thought would be that children will grow up sooner or later. Another thought could be that it is best to stay in touch with your inner child even while you grow older.
    I also find this book interesting because it is almost like a bildugsroman within the spam of one dream. Alice seems to have learned more about herself in her adventure through Wonderland. Overall, I think Alice in Wonderland was worth reading.

29. May 29th, 2012 at 11:04 pm      Reply innag2 Says:

I really enjoyed reading Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. I got a lot more out of it then when I read it by myself two years ago! I thought it was all just nonsense, but reading it now and having the chance to discuss it, made me realize that it was not just all nonsense. It has many deeper meanings that Lewis Carroll so cleverly put in! The book starts off with Alice saying how a book cannot be good unless it has dialogue and pictures, so right off he is implying that his book, that has dialogue and pictures, will be a good book. It might just seem like a silly conversation between Alice and herself, but in reality, he shows how his book is a good book. Also, another nonsense moment that is not so nonsensical (is that a word?) and actually makes sense is when the Mock Turtle talks about his classes that he took at school. He talks about Reeling and Writhing, and when I first read the book, I thought it was just pure nonsense. Now reading the book again, I realize that it is actually a play on words, and a brilliant one at that. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book again.

30. May 30th, 2012 at 7:41 pm      Reply Ben E. Says:

I noticed the number 42 a lot in this book. Rule 42 was the first thing that caught my attention, and although it may just seem like a random number, I thought of Hitchhikers’ Guide to the Galaxy and thought “why is this number special?” I did some research and learned that Lewis Carroll used this number on purpose. There were more 42’s. Through google I learned that there are 12 mentions of that number in Alice in Wonderland, and Through the Looking Glass. One of which is the amount of pictures in the original Alice in Wonderland! Then you wonder why this occurred. Although there is no accepted reason people have their insane theories. First of which is that Lewis Carroll is Jack the Ripper. (jtrslondon.wordpress.com/2008/04/24/lewis-carroll-did-it-duh/) Another theory is that 42 is the combination of good and evil (the numbers 6 and 7. 6*7=42). Finally another theory is that he did this randomly like everything else in his books.

31. May 30th, 2012 at 10:26 pm      Reply ashleys2 Says:

As we traveled with Alice in her journeys throughout Wonderland, she seemed to have matured from a girl into a young woman. In the beginning of the story, Alice has trouble focusing and her mind seems to wander off when she is learning her lessons. Her curiosity also gets the best of her when she eats and drinks the “eat me” and “drink me” goodies. In the beginning of her journeys, Alice had trouble holding her tongue as well. The turning point was really when Alice met the caterpillar and he asked her who she really is. Alice really didn’t know who she was when he asked her this, but she began to find herself as a young lady later on, like when she met the Mock Turtle and Gryphon and held her tongue in several occasions. So maybe, Alice in Wonderland could be Alice’s “coming-of-age” with her adolescence and leaving her childhood. My opinion is that Lewis Carroll wrote “Alice” about his childhood, and how he grew into a young adult like Alice did.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar