Ms. Quinson's 2011-2012 9H Blog

a place for students to express themselves

Boo was our neighbor.

May3

Tonight please finish reading  To Kill a Mockingbird.   Then write your response.  Please consider the following questions:

• What passage or passages strike you as interesting or singular and why?
  • What questions do you want to discuss with the class tomorrow?
  • Why do you think these questions may generate interesting discussion?

Annotate!

Find great passages to discuss in class.

Make sure you quiz yourself each and every night on your vocabulary flashcards.  If you do, you are sure to ace the vocabulary section of ourMockingbird assessment.

77 Comments to

“Boo was our neighbor.”

1. May 3rd, 2012 at 3:27 pm      Reply elizabethp4 Says:

I absolutely adored the last chapter of the book. It, to my mind, is perfect. Scout realizes finally takes Atticus’s advice and looks at the world with Boo’s eyes, and realizes that he’s not a monster – not at all. If one looks at Scout from the beginning of the book towards the end of the book, they’d realize that she had grown so much. In the beginning, if Scout caught a glimpse of Boo Radley, she would’ve taken a childish pleasure in getting frightened, since he was a “monster”. Now, Scout was saved by the man that she, Jem, and Dill tortured summers past; he can no longer be a monster. Also, before, Scout would never have cared what anybody else thought of her or her actions – now, she was careful and -dare I say it?- ladylike – when she was walking Boo home. Miss Stephanie Crawford’s take on the situation was very important, because otherwise some nasty rumours could spread that Scout didn’t need to deal with.

My favorite paragraphs, though, have to be the ones on page 374. “Boo’s children needed him”, means that Scout and Jem needed to have Boo as a distraction from all of the terrible things that were happening at school and with the town and Atticus.

(I apologize for going completely out of order) Mr. Heck Tate’s adamant refusal to blame Jem for killing Bob Ewell was so heartbreaking. Personally, I think that he accidentally killed himself. I can’t bring myself to believe that Boo Radley stabbed Mr. Ewell with such precise aim. It was just a chance of luck that the knife slipped between his ribs. The fact that Atticus was thinking that it was Jem that killed Bob Ewell was just showing under how much pressure he was. He could barely think straight, he was under so much pressure – no wonder he suspected his own son of murder after the Robinson case.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 6:52 pm      Reply carak1 Says:

I agree about Bob Ewell’s death; I doubt Jem could have it in him to kill a man, even as self-defense. However, I don’t think Atticus was accusing Jem of murder. I think Atticus knew that if Jem had killed Bob Ewell, it had been either an accident or self-defence. Atticus simply did not want to be a hypocrite, nor did he want his son to grow up thinking that people can have exceptions because of what people think of you or your family.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 7:14 pm      Reply Jesse Says:

It totally agreee with the “Boo’s children” needded him part! I thought the last chapter was perfect to and it also made me feel really sad to think that after all that went on and finally meeting Boo, just like it did Scout. This is my favorite book we’ve this year.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 8:27 pm      Reply equinson Says:

I agree with all of you! I love this chapter the very, very best and I love Boo’s children needed him. I want to talk very carefully about Lee’s careful use of pronouns in this section. I know that sounds odd, but she makes this really interesting transition…

• May 3rd, 2012 at 9:39 pm      Reply amandaf2 Says:

I agree. To Kill a Mockingbird is by far my favorite book that we read this year.

• October 22nd, 2012 at 11:07 pm      Reply Cgirl34 Says:

This book touched my heart so much!!! Best book I have ever read!!

• May 3rd, 2012 at 9:57 pm      Reply lucyl2 Says:

I think that it was kind of odd how Atticus was ready to have Jem put on trial, but I understood why he did it. It was because he believes so strongly that no one is above the law, and he doesn’t want his children to think that either.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 10:16 pm      Reply Autumn N. Says:

I also agree that To Kill A Mockingbird was my favorite novel that we read all year. I also really liked the Boo’s children needed him passage and I thought it was very heartfelt and gave you a better understanding of all of the characters.

2. May 3rd, 2012 at 5:20 pm      Reply johnw2 Says:

Finally, we have met the mysterious Arther Radley. In the end Mr. Ewell decides to get revenge on Atticus by kill Jem and Scout on their way home from the Halloween contest. He jumped them while they were under the great oak tree where they used to get little trinkets from Boo. Such as the gum, and the soap carving dolls. While they got jumped Jem suffered a broken arm and a concussion, how Scout simply got shaken up. In the end Mr. Ewell was pronounced dead, due to his knife piercing his chest. I personally feel that Boo Radley did end up killing Mr. Ewell in order to protect young Jem and Scout. You can tell his when Mr. Tate says to bring a shy man into the limelight without any warning is a sin. Also when Scout compares it to the fact that it is a sin to kill a mockingbird. (Paraphrased) I feel this person is Boo because, he has always been sticking to the shadow throughout the entire novel, making only small appearances in the story. Also I don’t believe it was Mr. Ewell’s own doing because, the chance of it being a killing blow right between the ribs is a very, very small chance without someone else doing it. All in all I felt that To Kill A Mockingbird was a very well structured book, that has many good and memorable events, and characters. I hope that we get to read one more book even half as good as this one.

3. May 3rd, 2012 at 6:31 pm      Reply johnk4 Says:

Tonight I was interested in Bob Ewell. He seemed to be very determined in getting his revenge. He did all of this stuff like harassing Helen to let out his anger. This does not seem to be a nice person. However as Ms Quinson said we cannot see everything in black and white. Factors contributed to Ewell’s less then pleasant personality. First he was drunk. When he attacked Scout and jem after the Halloween Festival, he was drunk. He was not in his right mind. I seriously doubt that he would attack and try to kill children when he was sober.( although I would not put it past him) Also there was the fact that he was blind with rage. After someone takes a stab at your pride it hurt. I am sure everyone on this blog has felt rage when someone insulted them. Although I do not excuse Ewell of his crimes he still was sick, mentally speaking. On a higher note Boo Radley was very noble. He sacrificed his vow to remain unseen to save Scout and Jem. In the chapter after Jem and Scout were attacked we can see how shy Arthur Radley was. It must have taken much courage to venture out of the house and face a potentially deadly Bob Ewell. Even myself would have dared to do the thing that Radley did. Unfortunately he is never seen again. What might have started as a friendship between Boo Radley and Scout ended when the older Scout said that he was never seen again.

4. May 3rd, 2012 at 6:43 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

These last few chapters were full of suspense and excitement. The suspense began in the first chapter, when Bob Ewell started following Helen Robinson, Tom’s widow, around. I don’t know why he still wants to bother her, he won the case that ended in Tom’s death. Link Deas tells him to lay off his worker, or else he’ll get arrested. He continues to sneak behind her, and Deas threatens him again, this time more meaningfully. Bob Ewell stops bothering her, but I think he still wants revenge against somebody, since he didn’t succeed against Helen. Maybe Atticus, his children, or Link Deas will be the next targets.

In the next chapter, Scout and Jem go to a pageant and meet Cecil Jacobs, who surprises them from behind on the way there. However, on the way back home after the pageant, another figure ambushes them, this time, not Cecil. It is Bob Ewell! He makes Jem fall unconscious with a broken arm, (perhaps the one mentioned at the start of the story) and hurts Scout. He would have did more, except another person stabbed him. Immediately following, men, among them Atticus, arrive at the scene and take control of the situation. Mr. Ewell is pronounced dead and only later does Scout find out it was Boo Radley who had saved them. Boo is a ghostly white, gaunt man who has stayed within his house for many years. It is fitting that Boo Radley made his first appearance in the beginning of the book, and entered again towards the end. He has earned the admiration and gratitude of Scout, and only says one line, “Will you take me home?”. There is a debate of how Mr. Ewell died, but I personally think Boo killed him because a wound like that couldn’t have been caused by falling on a knife, and I think Boo had always looked out for Jem and Scout ever since their interest in him back in the beginning.

5. May 3rd, 2012 at 7:24 pm      Reply carak1 Says:

“Well it’d be sort of like shootin’ a mockingbird, wouldn’t it?”

By the end of To Kill a Mockingbird, Scout and Jem have finally learned the lesson that, above all others, is the most important in this novel. Atticus taught it and Aunt Alexandra taught it. Miss Maudie and Miss Dubose taught it. Heck Tate, Judge Taylor, and Mr. Cunningham taught it. Mr. Link Deas and Mr. Dolphus Raymond taught it. Tom Robinson and Calpurnia taught it. Boo Radley taught it. Even Miss Merriweather and Bob Ewell taught it. The lesson? What it means to be a gentleman or lady.

In the beginning of the novel, the children are just children. They play silly games, which sometimes can be quite rude. They don’t understand how the world works. In each chapter, the lessons of life are taught to them by every character they meet. They learn from ideal role models like Atticus and Miss Maudie and through their guidance, gain knowledge from less obvious sources. They grow through subtle and not so subtle sources. Nobody came out and told Scout and Jem What I find most beautiful about this book is that the lesson is so well written that it is only conspicuous if one is looking for it. It’s right there, in every character, in every event, one only needs to look.

At this point in the book, Scout finally understands what Atticus has been trying to teach her all along. In order to be a lady, there are many things a girl must do, but most important is to look at the world through someone else’s eyes. Scout finally does, and she finally is a true lady, not because of her lineage or economic status. She is a lady because she was taught to be a lady.

6. May 3rd, 2012 at 7:40 pm      Reply Jesse Says:

I loved Tonight’s reading. We finally met Boo Radley who had been the center of the children’s attention in the beginnig of the book and remained an exciting topic for them all through the story. I have three Favorite parts.
    1) I loved when after Mr. Tate left and Atticus asked Scout if she could understand that Jem didn’t kill Bob Ewell, that he just fell on his knife. Scout understood and said, “Well it be sort of like shootin’ a mockingbird, wouldn’t it?”. I think in this case she’s referring to Boo Radley. One can infer that Bob Ewell didn’t fall on his knife according to the arguement Atticus and Heck Tate had about the subject. Heck Tate was right when he said Jem really couldn’t have killed him because he was a little boy in extreme pain and lying on the ground unconscience. Therefore the only other explaination is that Boo went out there with the Kitchen nife and stabbed Eweel to protect Scout and Jem. Since all Boo ever did was for the Finch children, to point this fact out and ruin Boo’s life would have indeed been like killing a Mockingbird.
    2)I liked the part where Scout is walking Boo home. I think it must be a strange sight: Aurther Radley stooping to escort Jean Louise Finch to his Home. It was cute. I also like the way the narrator explained the thoughts running through Scout’s head at the time. Once she had dropped Boo at home, Scout stood on the Radley porch and discovered how the neighborhood lookes from Boo’s perspective.
    3) Finally my absolute favorite part. ” Boo’s children needed him” . Boo’s children are Jem and Scout and in my mind they are his children in a sense. Not biologically, of course, but metaphorically. They are the only people outside his house he has had contact with at all for all Scout and the reader know. He left them gifts, watched them play and in a way became one of their closest friends. Boo was a lonely man who never came out as far as anyone knew, but he contented himself with making two little kids happy with mysterious gifts. Boo watched over them and when he saw them in dire need of help, he left the saftey and security of his home and ventured out to save them from Bob Ewell. I think that the relationship Scout had with Boo Radley is one of the best kinds of relationships, and despite the fact she will never see him again, it is a relationship that will last a lifetime.

7. May 3rd, 2012 at 8:02 pm      Reply michaelt10 Says:

Finally, the dramatic end to the novel To Kill a Mockingbird. The section we read was very diverse, and had many surprises. First, the Halloween party. On they way there, they were shocked by Cecil appearing from behind a tree, scaring both of them after they left the party, it was pitch black out, and they had to find there way to the paths leading them home. Scout was still in her ham costume from the party, and could not see where she was going. Jem told her to stop suddenly, because he thought he heard someone. They then assumed it was Cecil, trying to scare them again. After walking a bit further, they were attacked by a man later found to be Mr. Bob Ewell. After both kids were thrown to the ground, another man tackled Bob. We then learn that this man was the infamous Boo Radley. He had heard the children cry for help, and saved them just before Bob killed them in revenge. This rescue was a very interesting twist. I had always put the Radley house away after the middle of the novel, when the concentration was more on the the trial. This old mystery came back again to save them.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 8:25 pm      Reply briannab3 Says:

I really liked how everything tied together in the end, even the things that weren’t emphasized throughout the entire novel.

8. May 3rd, 2012 at 8:04 pm      Reply Ben E. Says:

I really liked the last few chapters of this book. What really stood out to me was the appearance of Boo, or rather Mr. Arthur. I wonder how long was he following Jem and Scout. Did he notice Bob Ewell, and start following them, or was he planning to reveal himself to them anyway? Also, I wonder who actually killed Ewell. Did the sheriff actually believe his own statement that Ewell killed himself, or does he want to protect Boo, and is only saying that to save Boo from going to jail again? I he is protecting Boo, I think his motives are that Boo will probably be another convicted innocent, because what Boo did was to protect the two children, but I have no doubt, because of his history, and prejudices towards him, he would be convicted. Also, why did he never appear again? To quote Scout, “Boo’s children needed him”. Why did he disappear into the dark again, when he had just gotten used to the light? Maybe he had a guilty conscience, but I think the truth is “it’s because he wants to stay inside”.

9. May 3rd, 2012 at 8:23 pm      Reply briannab3 Says:

I think the last chapters were the best chapters of the book. They had so much insight and closure; the perfect ending for me. For such a little town, Maycomb and its residence had a lot for Scout and Jem to learn. They learned life lessons from almost every main character. By the end of the book, as Scout stood in Boo’s shoes, she saw everything from his perspective, finally learning what it truly meant to be a lady. Boo had finally established enough trust to come out of his house in order to save the nice children that he had been observing. He had been looking out for them since the beginning, and in the end, saved their lives. You can tell how much Scout has grown since the novel commenced. She has matured, and her life has so much meaning; she is wise beyond her years, as is Jem. As she walks back to her house after “accompanying” Boo back to his house, she felt old. Then she says, ” Jem and I would get grown but there wasn’t much else for us to learn, except possibly algebra.” Thanks to Atticus, Aunt Alexandra, Miss Maudie, and the countless others that taught the kids lessons, they have such good morals, and Atticus always emphasizes them. I believe Aunt Alexandra did a wonderful job in teaching Scout her manners, without changing her character and personality. She was almost murdered, and had finally met Boo Radley for the first time, and she kept her composure. She lead him throughout the house and was very understanding and amiable. She even makes Atticus understand they must accept what happened by explaining if they thrust Arthur into the gossip of the town, it would be like killing a mocking bird. Scout has grown into a true lady. I’ve read this book before, and I can say that I definitely liked it much better reading it the second time.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 8:39 pm      Reply Mr. Enright Says:

I get more out of it everytime I read it.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 9:52 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

I like how you said that Scout kept her composure after everything that happened. I hadn’t really thought about how that was like when she had to keep her composure when she learned about the death of Tom.

10. May 3rd, 2012 at 8:26 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

Sadly, To Kill A Mockingbird has come to an end. I love the finale of this novel and these chapters were packed with adventure, drama, and it kept you guessing. I didn’t want to blink because I was scared I would miss an important detail. I did feel that the end was rushed and that Harper Lee was in a hurry to finish, but I liked it, and unlike Ethan Frome and Of Mice and Men, the rush of the ending was successful and enchanting. Since these chapters were so dense, I wish I can mention every single bit but I can’t, so I’ll just mention the big ones.

We finally meet Boo Radley, which I suspected would happen after he was mentioned multiple times to the pageant. Jem and Scout are going back home in the darkness after the pageant and Jem hears a noise. He isn’t sure what it is but assumes that someone is following them. They continue walking but then the stranger behind them paces faster and attacks. The whole attack was messy and a hassle. Scout was thrown to the floor and she heard a cracking noise from her brother. She ran to look for him but couldn’t find him. Later on a man was trying to choke her but then someone pulled the stranger off of her. Later on a mysterious man who was carrying Jem takes them to their home. Atticus and Aunt Alexandra receive them with anxiety and pressure. The doc soon arrives and concludes that Jem broke an arm, but nothing awful. Then, Mr. Tate, Atticus, and Scout try to figure out what happen. It turns out the man who attacked them was Bob Ewell. When I found this out, I was disgusted, shocked, and angry. I had mixed feelings because I was disgusted that Ewell would go after children and I was angry that he was acting so immature and stupid. Mr. Tate said that Bob Ewell died by falling onto his knife which killed himself but Atticus was under the impression that that story was false and that his son accidentally injured Bob Ewell, killing him. Mr.Heck Tate and Atticus went back and forth over who killed Ewell. I found it interesting how Atticus supported his statement and throughout the argument, he acted like a true gentleman and good father. They soon conclude that Bob Ewell fell onto his knife killing himself. This sounds a little far-fetched, but believable in the circumstances.

I found it interesting to hear Boo speak and act. He was quiet and childish, not knowing exactly what to do. It felt awkward but made sense since he hasn’t been out in over a decade. One part I enjoyed, which Liz mentioned was that “Boo’s children need him.” This was true because Boo let them grow and helped them through a difficult time. I also felt like Boo needed the children. My mom sometimes says that children can teach you things that an adult or guru will never teach you in a lifetime. This is true, and I think it pertains to Boo because the children shared a bond or friendship with him that no one else tried to or even had. Boo thanked the kids for that, and was always looking out for them, which is why he was there to save them this specific night. Scout has finally learned the lesson her father has been putting on her for years, “Try to look at life in someone else’s shoes.” She finally did this and was able to understand years of words from her father and Aunt Alexandra.

11. May 3rd, 2012 at 8:37 pm      Reply ashleys2 Says:

The last few chapters of To Kill A Mockingbird were so suspenseful! Even on the walk to the Halloween pageant, readers could tell that something was going to happen since it was darker than usual and Jem and Scout could barely get through the wood without having to feel their way through. Then when they were walking home and Jem heard something rustling in the woods, I got nervous for them! It was just like a scene out of a horror movie because at first Scout denied the noises but then she heard them and got scared. The scariest part was when Scout was feeling her way through the woods and she felt Bob Ewell’s stubbly chin. It surprised me how Boo Radley saved the day and the children. I’m not sure how he knew they were in the woods and it’s a bit weird how he arrived at the exact right time the children were in trouble. It’s like Boo is their guardian angel. He left trinkets for them in the tree, and angels leave things for the people they watch on Earth for them to find. And how he follows them around the woods and looks out at them from his window, it’s like he knows what they are doing at all times, which is what angels do. I’m glad that Heck Tate made up the story that Bob Ewell tripped on the knife and fell because if he went to jail again that would be terrible. The novel ends with Atticus reading The Grey Ghost to Scout as she falls asleep. This is a fitting ending because the grey ghost is like a a symbol for Boo Radley, who’s “face was white as his hands and his grey eyes were so colorless”. Also, angels are represented by the color white as well.

12. May 3rd, 2012 at 8:38 pm      Reply Mr. Enright Says:

This one of my favorite books of all time. The last chapters always make me wish she had written more novels.

I think Scout’s childhood is idyllic and I wish my daughter had that kind of relationship with me. (Not that I’m complaining — there’s just something special about the two of them.)

13. May 3rd, 2012 at 8:56 pm      Reply bridgetd1 Says:

In the last chapters of the book Bob Ewell decides to get revenge on Atticus by attacking Jem and Scout on their way home from the Halloween party. It is pitch black outside so Jem and Scout can barely see, but Jem hears someone walking near them. They think that it is Cecil because he scared them before but as time goes on and ‘Cecil does not answer Jem notices that the person is wearing cotton pants and Cecil was not. Then they hear the person start running at them and Jem yells for Scout to run. Bob Ewell jumps on them and when it is all over Jem is unconscious with a broken arm and Bob Ewell is dead. It was really low of Bob Ewell to try to get back at Atticus by hurting his children. They are helpless and did not do anything to him. Maybe he was secretly too scared to confront Atticus face to face again and thought it would be easier to go for people that are smaller than he is. Arthur Radley carries Jem back home and Scout does not realize it is him until they are back home and Jem is in bed. Arthur is not what Scout had thought he would be. He seems almost helpless and is very shy. Of course he is very quiet and he only says one thing to Scout, but it is because he has had no one to talk to for years.

14. May 3rd, 2012 at 8:57 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

I really enjoyed the end of To Kill A Mockingbird. I think it was the perfect ending for such a good book. Scout finally got to meet Boo Radley, and it was just as she had imagined it, (but under different circumstances.) Sadly, Jem and Dill did not get to meet the mystery man. Jem was knocked out from the medication Dr. Reynolds had given him, and school was in session so Dill was back in Meridian. Mr. Ewell attempted to follow through with his threat of getting Atticus back by trying to kill Scout and Jem. Mr. Ewell followed the kids in the pitch black when they were on their way back home from the pageant at the high school. Mr. Ewell successfully broke Jem’s arm and knocked him unconscious, but Scout basically got out without a scratch- she only had a bump on her head. It was kind of funny when Heck said that her ham costume is probably what saved her life! I also thought it was very honorable of Atticus to take full blame for what he thought was a crime Jem committed (the stabbing of Mr. Ewell), which was meanwhile an unintended suicide. I love how Lee kept up Atticus’s character of a perfect citizen and father throughout the novel. Boo Radley was not how I imagined him to be, but I think Scout was happy with how he turned out, since she had thought about it so much. She acted very sweetly to him, and tried to prove Miss Stephanie wrong by showing how he acted like a gentleman to walk her across the street. I loved how the novel ended with Atticus reading The Grey Ghost to Scout while she fell asleep. I think it was appropriate for the events that had just occurred, and a great ending for the novel.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 9:28 pm      Reply nikital Says:

I like how you stated that you “loved how Lee kept up Atticus’s character of a perfect citizen and father throughout the novel.” That ‘s exactly what she did, and it intrigues me how you put it: you did not mention “a perfect person”. In fact, though, Atticus is a strong, brilliant, and amazing character, he is not shown to be perfect, and I think that’s meant to show us that no one is. Every character in this novel, like in reality, has their own flaws and shortcomings, their own talents and personality. They each have their own sense and definition of morality, social class, backround, and fine folk. And that’s what makes this book beautiful for me: it’s almost real.

15. May 3rd, 2012 at 9:02 pm      Reply nikital Says:

Personally, I believe that the ending of To Kill A Mockingbird was one of the most majestic and faultless endings I have ever read. It was even more beautiful reading it for the second time, too. This novel was definitely one of the greatest masterpieces of American literature.

16. May 3rd, 2012 at 9:03 pm      Reply benjaminf Says:

After finishing the novel I was surprised by how exciting and conclusive the final chapters were. It is hard to believe how much the incident changed Scout. When you think of how she fell asleep in her pork costume and was embarrassed because she was late on stage. And then you compare her feelings to what she was felt when she was on the Radley porch and looked out at her neighborhood and thought of how the scenery of the neighborhood changed throughout the seasons, thinking philosophically about how that was what Boo must have seen all year long. It is hard to believe that that is the same Scout that was fretting over her mistake in the play. I think that it really shows how much that life changing experience has really changed Scout who is already thinking about much more mature things. If the book went on we would have seen how much Scout had changed when she was with her peers at school because that is the place where the more mature ones set themselves apart from people their own age. I found it surprising that Atticus was trying to convince Heck Tate that his own son killed Bob Ewell, but what was even more surprising to me was the fact that Atticus wanted Tate to tell the town that Jem killed Bob Ewell so it did not sound like the crime committed by the son of a lawyer was covered up because the suspect was the son of the lawyer. I am surprised because since when did Attticus care what the town thought of his family? He did not openly care when the town criticized him for how hard he tried to make Bob guilty, and he does not care that some people think his children are not cared for well because they are allowed to roam about the town unsupervised. So why is it that he cared what the town thought of him now? These are my two points for discussion for tomorrow’s time for discussion.

17. May 3rd, 2012 at 9:17 pm      Reply nikital Says:

The end of To Kill A Mockingbird struck me as majestic, beautiful, and quite fitting. On Halloween (of all days, considered the Day of Satan, the most evil one of the year), Jem and Scout were attacked by Bob Ewell under the influence of whiskey, and Boo Radley, of all people, comes to their rescue. Years before, these children thought him a monster, a mystery. He indirectly played a large role in their life, participating in their games, theories, and adventures. However, he turns out to be entirely different from what was expected. Unlike the squirrel-eating, bloody-handed monster Jem spoke of, this man is extremely shy, and prefers to stay inside his own home than immerse himself in the complicated world outside of it. His heroic action of fighting off Bob Ewell was quite amazing. He saw his children, who he had watched grow, change, love, and hate, being attacked, and realized that he, in his own way, cared for them too. As Atticus once said, “you never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view–– until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.”

18. May 3rd, 2012 at 9:22 pm      Reply alwynp2 Says:

What shocked me was that Bob Ewell attacked Scout and Jem. At first, the thought that Cecil was trying to scare them again. Then, they realized that it was not Cecil. They couldn’t really see anything because it was pitch black outside. No one was driving Jem and Scout’s way so there wasn’t any light. A man, later revealed to be Bob Ewell, attacked them. I knew that it was Bob when Scout smelled stale whiskey. Another thing is that Boo Radley is finally revealed. He came to the aid of the children when he heard them screaming. Scout realizes that “Arthur” is not that scary. See, I told you guy in an earlier blog that Boo was probably innocent!

19. May 3rd, 2012 at 9:40 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

I found these last few chapters the best chapters in the book. They were filled with excitement and amazing surprises, which just made the ending, in my opinion, perfect. On the way back from a Halloween pageant, Jem and Scout were ambushed by none other than Bob Ewell. To get back at Atticus, he decided to try to kill his kids. He attacked, but not without retaliation from a stranger. This stranger countered Bob Ewell. He was found later, impaled by a knife under a tree. At home, they encountered the stranger once more. He then revealed himself to be the notorious Boo Radley. After years of interest and actions centered around him, he had finally showed himself. When he was described, he looked like and acted like a normal person. He is not sinister or crazy; he was even described as being shy, which is pretty much the opposite. Throughout the years, the children spent much of their time centered around Boo Radley. He has seen them grow up and change. I really like this ending, because when Boo saved their lives and accompanied Scout, it showed that he cared for them too. I definitely agree with the statement “Boo’s children need him.” The relationship between the kids and Boo is unique, but just as special as any other. This end brought back many events and did a great job in tying them together. I found the ending of this novel to be great.

20. May 3rd, 2012 at 9:48 pm      Reply tylerf2 Says:

Finally, the fantastic and exciting ending of To Kill A Mockingbird. It seemed like such a great ending for such a great book. Scout finally gets to meet Boo Radley (under different circumstances than she had hoped). But sadly, Jem and Dill did not get to see the man they have been bugging for all those summers before. Dill was back in Meridian for school and Jem was knocked out from the medication given to him by Dr. Reynolds.

You see, Jem and Scout had been in a predicament. There was a Halloween party going on and as Jem and Scout were walking, Cecil appeared from behind a tree and succeeded in her attempt to scare the two; and Jem and Scout now had to find their way back to the ain road to get home. But what they didn’t know was that they were being followed by Mr. Ewell. It turns out that he was going to try and follow through with his promise to kill Atticus’s children. Both children were viciously siezed and thrown to the ground. However, coming to the rescue, the mystery man himself, is Boo Radley. He had heard the childrens’ cries for help and came to their aid as fast as he could. Although Mr. Ewell had succeeded in rendering Jem unconcious and with a broken arm, Scout seemed to escape the conflict with barely any harm done to her (except for a bumb on her head). But I thought that it was awfully brave and heroic for Boo to do something like that. I mean, he barely knows the kids and yet he still chooses to help them in the way he did. It is a great ending to a great book. It leaves me wishing that there was more to the book. What a fantastic ending.

21. May 3rd, 2012 at 9:56 pm      Reply lucyl2 Says:

I don’t know what to make of what Bob Ewell was trying to do. It could be called cowardly, because instead of taking his anger out on the person who caused it, he aimed it towards the ones that person loved. it could be called sick, because he was trying to kill small children who has done virtually nothing that effected his life. Or maybe it could be called smart, because if his aim was to deeply hurt Atticus, he’s surely succeeded. One thing is for certain, no one will ever miss Bob Ewell.

We finally meet Boo Radley. I found his persona quite intriguing. The way that the author made him the color white, like the color of a ghost who goes unseen, or the color of an angel. Maybe he is both. He does beautiful things without people seeing them. Many people believe that the greatest deeds are the ones that are done in secret. I also found it so wonderful that he was practically silent, because even if he had no voice, his actions spoke for themselves.

The ending was perfect. It was simply flawless. The chapters before the ending of the book were quite violent and shocking. It was simply beautiful how Harper Lee could return the ending to innocence and family life. This was undoubtably my favorite book that we have read this year.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 10:12 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

I agree with everything you said, and I think this book is my favorite as well. What Bob Ewell did was definitely everything that you said. It was cowardly because he didn’t have the courage to go face-to-face with Atticus, it was sick because he was trying to kill innocent children that did nothing to him, and I guess it could be called smart because he would have succeeded in deeply hurting Atticus if that was his aim.

22. May 3rd, 2012 at 9:58 pm      Reply amandaf2 Says:

I really enjoyed the last few chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird. There was a lot of suspense and there were many surprises. One thing that was surprising to me was the incident when Jem and Scout were on their way home from that Halloween festival. Jem thinks that he hears footsteps behind them, and he is right. However, the two are determined to tell each other that they are not scared. They think that it is just Cecil who had scared them earlier in the novel, but it was not. It was Bob Ewell. Bob attacks Scout and Jem. Next thing that they know, Jem is unconscious. Later they see Bob with a knife up his chest. Atticus thinks that Jem could have accidentally stabbed him, or that he could have done it for self defense. However, Heck thinks that Jem could have never done it. Atticus shows how he is honest, and does not just assume that it could have never been Jem. He is a great role model because he is able to see things as they are, and not just blame others. Another thing that surprised me was that of all people, Boo Radley comes to save Jem and Scout. Boo is just and innocent man, who means well. To Kill a Mockingbird was my favorite novel that we read all year.

23. May 3rd, 2012 at 9:58 pm      Reply Anton Says:

Finally, as was stated at the beginning of the book, Jem broke his arm. It seemed from the beginning that the story was all leading up to the moment when Jem got his arm broken. This occurred on Scout and Jem’s way home from a Halloween party at the school. It was pitch black, and they heard footsteps. They thought they belonged to those of a boy who had pranked them earlier. Scout was still wearing apork costume from the pageant. When I first read that she was unable to take it off without assistance, I thought it was a disaster waiting to happen. The footsteps following them belonged to Mr. Ewell. He then tried to kill them. He first went after Jem and broke his arm. He then went after Scout with what was later discovered to be a kitchen knife. The costume which I though was going to be a problem saved her life there, as the chicken wire frame of it prevented the knife from penetrating. Following this, Arthur carried Jem to the house. It appears that Mr. Ewell, drunk, fell on the kitchen knife, impaling himself. Although there is no evidence of it, I suspect it was Arthur who pulled MR. Ewell off Scout and stabbed hi between the ribs. Arthur Radley seems unwilling to speak when what has happened is being discussed, and therefor we cannot know the truth. What the book was truly leading up to, however was the moment when Scout saw the world from the Radley’s front door. After walking Arthur home, she stood near the shutters from where Arthur perhaps viewed them from. She at that moment realized, how normal of a person he was, and by being in his shoes, she learned that he was not scary at all.

24. May 3rd, 2012 at 10:03 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

I have to say that I absolutely loved the ending of To Kill Mockingbird, and these final chapters were filled with such amazing events that just kept you reading until the very end. The last few chapters were filled with suspense and drama. The first of the amazing events was the death of Bob Ewell. Before this part came there was so much suspense created by the unusual darkness that obscured Jem and Scout’s sight to the point that they could barely see in front of them. When they were leaving the pageant and they heard the footsteps as they were walking, the suspense was so gripping that I actually felt a little scared for them. Who would it be? What was this person’s intention? These questions are soon answered after the footsteps turn into running and Jem and Scout are attacked. The fighting left Jem unconscious with a broken arm and Scout with a large bruise on her head, but their assailant was gone and a mysterious man carries Jem to the Finch house. After Mr. Tate looked by the tree where the attack occurred, he found the dead body of Bob Ewell with a knife in his chest. Mr. Tate said that Bob Ewell killed himself, but Atticus was convinced that it was Jem who did it out of self-defense. Mr. Tate was sure that Bob Ewell killed himself because the way the knife was in him was just like how it would look if he had fallen on his knife. I really can’t understand why Atticus would believe that it was own son who killed Bob Ewell, and want Mr. Tate to tell the whole town that Jem did it out of self-defense. Why couldn’t he be happy and accept the fact that Mr. Tate, the sheriff of Maycomb, knew that it wasn’t Jem?
    The first amazing event led to the second, and this was when Scout finally meets Mr. Arthur aka Boo Radley. Mr. Arthur was the man who brought Jem to the Finch house, and he quietly stood in the corner whiles the others discussed the event. This particular action of his showed that he truly was Jem and Scout’s guardian angel. While it was probably him who killed Bob Ewell to protect Jem and Scout, I’m glad that Mr. Tate just decided that Bob Ewell killed himself and kept everything simple.
    I loved how this book ended. There were no loose ends and we actually got to meet Boo Radley. I hope we get to read even more books as wonderful as this one.

25. May 3rd, 2012 at 10:13 pm      Reply Autumn N. Says:

I absolutely loved the last part of To Kill A Mockingbird and I am very satisfied with the ending. The fight between Bob Ewell and Scout and Jem was so intense but went by quickly. It was really scary when they heard the footsteps behind them with nothing but darkness. At first I thought it was Boo Radley watching out for them through the night, making sure that they got home safely but then Bob attacked but it turned out Boo Radley was watching out for them. I thought he was incredibly kind. Arthur (I should stop calling him Boo) pulled Bob Ewell off of the children and I do believe that he killed him but made it look like that he fell and ended up stabbing himself. However, while most people would probably feel conflicted about this act, my thoughts that Boo was a good person do not waver. He was protecting two innocent children from a trashy, immoral drunk. One of the paragraphs that really touched me was when Jem and Scout were referred to as “his children”; his meaning Arthur’s. Throughout their entire lives he had been watching them from his secluded but safe home, ready to protect them from harm. I think we all knew it the night that Dill, Jem, and Scout snuck onto the property and he sewed Jem’s pants. I feel really bad for Arthur Radley, everyone had misguided interpretations of him but he is a genuinely good man. And although, I think it was something that evolved with age, he has real class. Background and morals. I wish that Scout could have gotten to know him better after that but maybe she didn’t need to. Maybe, she just needed to ‘stand in his skin’ and it would all make sense.

One thing for discussion: Why were Atticus and Mr. Heck Tate fighting over whether Jem didn’t or not. I presume that Atticus didn’t what people to get notions about his son that he could buy himself out of things but if he really didn’t do it then, what was the problem?

26. May 3rd, 2012 at 10:14 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

I loved the conclusion of this book. The most interesting part by far was Bob Ewell’s attack on the children.

After Scout escorts Boo Radley home, she stands on the porch of his house and “sees” something. From what I can deduct, it seems as if what Scout saw was a flashback of Boo Radley’s memory. That section in the chapter seems to be spoken in the voice of Boo Radley. If this is true, that means that Boo Radley thought of these children as his children (just reminded me of the Mrunas!!! < --- OMG), and from Scout's description that she could see all the way to the post-office from that porch, Boo must have been observing the progressing childhood of these children. He watched them, and that autumn, Boo's children needed him. We can conclude that Boo rushed out after hearing the children (he would probably be one of the few in the community with his radio off) and he saw Bob Ewell trying to kill the children- his children. There was just no way that Jem could get up and stab Bob Ewell like that, even if by accident. He had already been knocked down, and Bob Ewell is a grown man- only another grown man is able to do such a thing. The theory that Bob Ewell stabbed himself is unconvincing too. Scout remembered that Bob Ewell was ripped away from her. That would mean someone had to have interfered- someone besides Jem. At the end, Atticus reads the Gray Ghost to Scout. This story seems to represent Boo Radley’s own life. Boo was chased out of society because of his messing around just like people thought Stoner’s Boy did. People like Scout and Jem tried chasing Boo Radley, always figuring that he was a monstrous type of person. But in the end, when Scout actually sees him, she realizes that he was real nice.

I assume Heck also has a suspicion that Boo was involved in Bob Ewell’s death. We readers probably don’t feel sorry for Bob’s death at all- he indirectly caused the death of Tom Robinson and would have killed Scout and Finch that night too. He is the lowest of the low- drunk, white trash.

And yet he is human too. He is one of the so-called “Folks”. He is a person that has his own shoes to step in. He had a family. At the end of the day, he is just another human-being that let his discrimination and hatred take control of him, perhaps bolstered by the effects of alcohol.

This novel like many others has a special meaning that we are meant to see. It is shown when Link Deas stands up for Tom Robinson; when Aunt Alexandra comes to support her family; when Boo Radley saves the children; when Atticus stays up all night watching Jem… It is love, and it is everywhere.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 10:14 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

Fail, italics didn’t cancel…

Why am is still typing in italics I didn’t even use anything. O.o

• May 3rd, 2012 at 10:47 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

It’s called “breaking the post”. You might have left the tag open which meant that everyone who posts after you is written in italics. I don’t know how to fix it though. D:

The tag is the <>, by the way.

27. May 3rd, 2012 at 10:14 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

Tonight we read the ending of the book. I thought it was a great ending because it really demonstrated everything that happened throughout the book and it also tied up all the loose ends. In the end we finally get a glimpse of Boo Radley when he saves Jem and Scout’s lives. Bob Ewell was the one who tried to kill Jem and Scout. This tied up both the ends of Boo’s story and Mr. Ewell’s story of getting back at Atticus for that court case. We also get to witness Scout finally reach her true potential as a lady. In a time of chaos and excitement, she keeps calm and mannerly and she even walks Boo home. Also, Scout finally learns that Atticus’s words are true where says, “you never really know a man until you stand in his shoes and walk around in them.” As she stands on Mr. Radley’s front porch she sees the world and the past few years from his perspective. Scout realizes that he isn’t a monster and he never really was, he was more like a guardian angel to Jem and Scout. Ever since they were little, Boo has been looking out for them and he’s there for them when they need him most, when he saves their lives. Over the years, Boo has also left little presents for them and Scout feels bad because she realized that they never gave anything back or at least said thank you for those gifts. Neighbors are supposed to help each other out and give each other things but this has really just been one-sided neighborly act, with Boo doing all the giving and helping and Scout and Jem just taking everything they can. The one thing that really surprised me was when Scout said that that was the last time she ever saw him. I thought that after everything that happened, Boo would have been more open to coming out of the basement and talking to Scout. After thinking about it for a while though, I realized that it was kind of fitting for them never to see each other again. Like a super hero, he only reveals himself in a time of need, and Scout and Jem would never be in a life threatening situation again since Bob Ewell was dead. Overall I think that this was a great book and it really taught me a lot about morals, prejudices, and being a lady. It was by far my favorite book we read this year.

28. May 3rd, 2012 at 10:27 pm      Reply sharonm1 Says:

In tonight’s reading, the reader finally meets Arthur “Boo” Radley. By the end of the book, Mr. Ewells wanted to get revenge on everyone who turned against him during the court case, including Atticus. To get back at Atticus, he went after Scout and Jem. On their way back from the Halloween night at their school, Bob Ewells followed them home. He attacked them while they were passing the big oak tree. Mr. Ewells did not succeed in killing Scout or Jem because they are saved by a man, who is later revealed to be Boo Radley. Jem suffered a broken arm and a concussion and Scout was shaken up. I believe that Boo killed Mr. Ewells, but his actions were justified because he was protecting Scout and Jem from being harmed. I agree with Mr. Tate. I think that it is unfair to tell everyone about how Boo Radley saved Scout and Jem because of his shyness and dislike of the spotlight. The one thing that befuddled me was when Mr. Tate told Atticus to “ Let the dead bury the dead”. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was an interesting and thought provoking portrayal of the sensitive issues that were prevalent at that time.

29. May 3rd, 2012 at 10:31 pm      Reply coryannm2 Says:

The end of To Kill A Mockingbird was truly amazing and lived up to my expectations. In the last chapters there was quite a bit of suspense and actions unlike some parts of the book, which is what I had been hoping for. Scout and Jem are walking home on Halloween and they hear footsteps, someone is following them! At this point I was even scared, though I always am when I’m reading parts of a book such as this one, and then Bob Ewell attacks them. This moment of the book truly defines the Ewell family, especially Bob Ewell, as the lowest of the low. Bob is mad at Atticus and he decides to take his anger out on Atticus’s loved ones and they are children! We were even talking in class about how it is wrong to prey on people that are smaller than you or weaker in any way, and that is exactly what he does. This encounter leaves the children, mostly Jem, with some serious injuries, but luckily Boo saves them and brings them home. Not only did he bring them home safely he also killed the filth that was Bob Ewell. Boo wasn’t a monster after all, he was more of an angel or guardian or even a hero.
    Afterwards, the sheriff rules Bob Ewell’s death as accidental, saying that he fell on his knife, while Atticus insists that Jem killed him out of self defense. This of course was quite peculiar, though I think Atticus doesn’t want to think or let his children think that anyone is above the law, which was also in the survey we took. In the end Mr. Tate declared that Bob Ewell killed himself and kept it simple even though we know that it was Boo Radley protecting Jem and Scout. In the end Scout finally met Boo Radley, as she has wanted to for so long, and I think Boo was waiting for Scout to grow up before he finally came outside. In the beginning of the book Scout was immature and it probably wouldn’t have had the same meaning to Scout had Boo come out earlier in the book. Another thing that was great about the ending of the book was, as Nick said, it left no loose ends, and it gives a sense of closure knowing that they met Boo and that they would all be fine. I really enjoyed reading this book.

30. May 3rd, 2012 at 10:52 pm      Reply sabrinak1 Says:

I was very pleased with the ending of the book. I knew something would happen with Boo Radley and we finally got to meet him! I found Boo to be the most interesting part of the chapter. He and Scout get along so well after never meeting, but even hough they haven’t met, they still kind of know each other. Boo has been watching Scout and Jem grow up as he peered through his window. The children spied on him, left notes for him, touched his house and ran away, and walked past it every day on the way to school. He knew them pretty well from
    just watching them through the years. For Scout it is almost the same. She was the one who was interested in Boo Radley and really wante to meet the strange man who never left his house. It was no suprise that when they finally met, they would be friendly but I found it odd at first that the adults were so nonchalant about him being there. Then I realized, it relates to one of Ms. Quinson’s points today during class, they are being gentlemen. Like Aunt Alexandra at the end of chapter 26 who, despite just finding out that Tom Robinson had died, put on a brave face and rejoined her group of ladies. Atticus and the docter were also being good gentlemen, accepting Boo as if they had always known him. I feel bad for Scout, who missed all of the drama and meeting the famous Boo Radley. All in all, this was probably the best book we’ve read so far and I really really enjoyed it! Good pick Ms. Quinson! 🙂

31. May 3rd, 2012 at 11:01 pm      Reply anthonym9 Says:

I thought Boo was a very interesting character. He only shows up in times of desperation for Scout and Jem. First, he gave Scout a blanket earlier in the book before she passed out. Now, he saved Jem’s and Scout’s lives at the end. The description of him was very good. He was white because he was always inside and he was quiet because he’s not used to people. For some reason he seemed to trust Scout because he let her lead him everywhere and allowed her to walk him home. Scout’s perspective of this event was interesting too. She explained that with all the crazy things they tried to do to see Boo Radley, he ends up allowing Scout to see him by saving her life. This was a great ending to the story because it sums up the entire Boo hunt and shows the sympathy of Atticus.

32. May 3rd, 2012 at 11:02 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

(Sorry this is all in italics. It’s an error on the post. See my reply to Leon’s post if you want to know more about it)

What a fantastic ending to the novel, To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. To be honest, this has been one of the best novels I’ve ever read. Ever. This book was just so amazing. ♥

The fact that Bob Ewell tried to attack Atticus’s children, Scout and Jem, genuinely surprised me. I was like: “Really, Ewell?” I could understand his motive. Maybe he wanted to kill Atticus’s kids, since that is one of the most important things to Atticus. That was a very clever move though. Anyways, I’m glad that Scout and/or Jem didn’t die or get any major injuries.

The last few chapters of the novel were really intense and truly incredible. It was perfect. Harper Lee really wrote a great novel. I actually learned so much from this novel. I learned that you shouldn’t judge people for small minorities such as race or personality. You should give people a chance. Who knows they may surprise you. 🙂

Speaking of surprises, Scout met Boo Radley (finally)! I was so excited for her. It kind of reminded me of someone meeting someone else famous. Scout’s heard so much about Boo Radley and she finally understands the real, true story. Scout learns that Boo Radley isn’t as scary as he was rumored to be. He’s just a regular man.

Overall, I am very pleased with this novel. I really did enjoy it and I’m glad we got to read it. I wish there was some sort of sequel because I kind of want to know what happened but it’s fine that it doesn’t. Thank you, Ms. Quinson! 🙂

33. May 4th, 2012 at 12:07 am      Reply innag2 Says:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I liked it before, but reading it again, and being able to discuss it and see the symbolism and hiding meanings in the text, makes this book like a brand new book to me. In these last few chapters, many things happened. What shocked me the most was how Bob Ewell tried killing Jem and Scout. That horrified and disturbed me on so many levels. I mean… how can someone do that? That is so low, lower than even the lowest of the low. To try and KILL an innocent child, when you have a problem with their father, that’s just so not right. Even the sheriff and the people of the town did not expect this from Ewell, though they knew he was trash. Jem and Scout were extremely fortunate that they were under a tree, and that Boo Radley was there to save them. Boo Radley saved them, and Bob Ewell also tripped over the tree and fell on his knife (or so the sheriff says). Scout was really lucky that she was still in her ham costume, because while it gave her many bruises, it prevented the knife from cutting and killing her. I was so shocked by these last chapters, that I never would’ve believed that it actually happened until I saw others writing about it.

• May 4th, 2012 at 6:54 pm      Reply nikital Says:

Great post! There’s one thing I disagree with, though. Arthur Radley most likely killed Bob Ewell, for Heck Tate claimed he took his switchblade off a drunk man. This could mean Bob Ewell, who drank whisky before attacking Jem and Scout. This was probably to give himself the courage he needed to attempt such a horrific task. In any case, this brings not one, but two knives into question, for one knife was apparently still stuck in Ewell’s body: a kitchen knife. Boo spends all of his hours in that house, and it is probable that when he came to rescue the children, he came armed in case he was attacked as well.

34. May 4th, 2012 at 6:54 pm      Reply nikital Says:

Why are these posts in italics?

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar