Ms. Quinson's 2011-2012 9H Blog

a place for students to express themselves

As it was we were compelled to hold our heads high and be, respectively, a gentleman and a lady.

May2

Tonight please read chapters 24, 25, and 26 of To Kill a Mockingbird.   Then write your response.  Please consider the following questions:

• What passage or passages strike you as interesting or singular and why?
  • What questions do you want to discuss with the class tomorrow?
  • Why do you think these questions may generate interesting discussion?

Annotate!

Find great passages to discuss in class.

Make sure you quiz yourself each and every night on your vocabulary flashcards.  If you do, you are sure to ace the vocabulary section of ourMockingbird assessment.

51 Comments to

“As it was we were compelled to hold our heads high and be, respectively, a gentleman and a lady.”

1. May 2nd, 2012 at 5:16 pm      Reply Jesse Says:

In tonight’s reading, Tom Robinson died. He had given up and tried to run away, knowing full well that he’d be shot. After everything Atticus did for him and all he had been through he just gave up. I think this is rather sad and mabye even confusing for some people. I’m not sure what exactly Tom’s thought process was, but I suppose he might not have believed that he would not be given the death penalty and went a little crazy. What didn’t make much sense to me was that he chose getting shot in the back over someother death the state would have given him. He would have died with more dignity instead what many people would call cowardly. A few thoughts occurred to me, such as he thought there might have really been a chance of him escaping, but the whole situation still confuses me a bit.
    I also feel really bad for Helen and the Robinson family. I can’t even begin to understand the amout of stress they’ve been under lately, and now after the long weeks of working tirlessly and eager waiting, Tom has been killed. I don’t believe that Tom, Helen, or any of the family deserved this torterous experience.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 7:44 pm      Reply sharonm1 Says:

I agree with you, I felt very bad for Tom, and his friends and family.
      I don’t think it is fair for someone innocent of the crime to get convicted and then killed.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 9:20 pm      Reply amandaf2 Says:

I agree.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 9:20 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

It really isn’t fair. A small factor shouldn’t affect the decision in court. Just because Tom was African-American, he was guilty. If he was white, there would be no case. Color shouldn’t affect the outcome. I wish justice was actually served.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 9:51 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

This novel really questions court, jury, even justice as a whole. How are we supposed to have justice when innocent people get convicted and the guilty are free to continue on with their lives?

• May 2nd, 2012 at 9:52 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

I agree. Why can’t we see that color shouldn’t have an effect on the outcome of anything? Even today people are still discriminated against because of their skin. It amazes and angers me that there are still people in our time that see colored people as inferior just because their skin is not white.

2. May 2nd, 2012 at 6:29 pm      Reply johnk4 Says:

I thought it was interesting how the women pf that time period had to sit through boring meetings. It was all talk and one sided arguments because a dissident to the major opinion of the group was looked down upon. Aunt Alexandria seems to dislike the business part of the meetings. This may shed new light upon her character. She could be lonely because she does not dare to disagree with any other the women, therefore losing their company. Also Aunt Alexandria must be sensitive because she might not want to talk about grim topics. Many(but not all including Scout) women were supposedly sensitive to gruesome topics such as executions. The Tom Robinson’s run for freedom was unexpected. After all that Atticus did for Tom Robinson, Tom still did not trust Atticus. It was very sad because there was a better chance he would survive if he had trusted Atticus and goner through the justice system(Other opinions are welcome!). Still as Jessie said this must have been a shock to family and friends of Tom Robinson. However Atticus could have possibly been the most hurt aside from Tom’s family. Although he had only known Tom Robinson for a few months, he tried everything he could to save him from the inevitable conviction. However his efforts did not come to fruition as Tom was killed. It seemed to be a second blow to Atticus after tom’s conviction in court.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 9:02 pm      Reply nikital Says:

I think that Tom Robinson trusted Atticus, though did not have faith in the common folk of the time who made up the juries.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 9:52 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

I think so too. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust Atticus, more so that he didn’t trust the court/jury.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 11:30 pm      Reply innag2 Says:

I agree, but I still think what Tom Robinson did was extremely selfish. He not only left Atticus, after all that Atticus had done for him, but he left his wife and children. That’s what gets me so angry. He had everything, EVERYTHING, worth living for, and he just basically killed himself, because that’s what it was. A death mission. I hate that he left his wife and children.

3. May 2nd, 2012 at 7:01 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

In tonights reading, Tom Robinson’s death stood out to me. Tom was in the prison camp during the prisoners’ allotted exercise period, and bolted for the fence; he was trying to escape. He sprinted across the yard to the fence and was almost over it, when he was excessively shot seventeen times. Atticus told him that he would do all he could do to make him a free man and that their chances were good, but Tom Robinson decided to take matters into his own hands, knowing he would be shot. Atticus returned to his house early from work that day with his hat in his hand and a white face, ready to deliver the news to his family. He went to pick up Calpurnia to go with him to Tom’s house to break the news to Helen. When Atticus and Calpurnia reached Tom’s house, they asked a boy named Sam to fetch Helen. Once Helen sat down with Atticus and Calpurnia and heard the news of her husband’s death, she literally fell out of her chair and to the ground. I felt so baldy for Helen and her children. I also feel extremely baldy for Atticus, because he put up a great fight to win Tom Robinson’s freedom, and had a decent chance of coming to that point, when Tom was killed. I am not saying I disagree with Tom’s decision to get himself killed, (which I do not agree with either), but I do not think it was right of him to abandon his wife and children, and throw away all the hard work Atticus did for him and all the wrath he endured for defending Tom.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 9:29 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

I agree it was kind of selfish for Tom to get himself killed because he hurt everyone else by doing it.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 9:53 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

He would have most likely been executed anyways. Tom figured he would take the chance for escape because he was convinced that he would die any other way.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 7:37 am      Reply lucyl2 Says:

But Atticus told them that they had a good chance of things to get better. By running it’s like he’s given up of Atticus. It wasn’t really the best plan.

4. May 2nd, 2012 at 7:37 pm      Reply coryannm2 Says:

The first chapter of tonight’s reading was rather dull and somewhat confusing. The first chapter was about the ladies of Maycomb getting together and socializing, and their talk was confusing, I would not have liked to be a lady in those times because it seems rather dull. Though, later in the chapter Atticus came home and brought some terrible news, Tom Robinson was dead. I found this sad and disappointing, after Atticus had tried so hard Tom was still sentenced and then killed for trying to escape. Though worst of all, even after Atticus’s efforts to prove him innocent, people in the town were still talking badly about him.
    In the next chapter Atticus and Calpurnia went to Helen, Tom Robinson’s wife, to tell her the horrible news and console her. It was very sad and I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been for Atticus to tell Helen that Tom was dead.
    In the last chapter Jem and Scout go back to school and Scout’s interest in the Radleys is renewed. She says something to Atticus about it and he tells her to stay away lest she gets hurt. Atticus knows more then he lets on about last summer. Also Hitler is brought up in this chapter as a current events project. Yet another example of prejudice in society, which is a major theme in To Kill A Mockingbird. In Maycomb everyone believes that it is wrong to persecute the Jews because they are white, but they believe that blacks are inferior to them and they don’t keep it a secret. The book continues to highlight the prejudices in society.

5. May 2nd, 2012 at 7:39 pm      Reply sharonm1 Says:

Tom Robinson attempted to run away and because of this he was shot in the back and killed. I think Tom went a little crazy. He probably thought that he would be given the death penalty and in a panic he ran. This was very sad because instead of dying with dignity, he died in desperation. It is also sad because if he hadn’t run away, there would have been a chance of him appealing and being freed. I feel sorrow for Tom’s family and friends because after many long weeks of worry, stress and hoping that he would be okay, he was un-ceremoniously killed. I feel this is the symbolism for the book’s title, To kill a Mockingbird. In the beginning of the book Atticus said that it was a sin to kill a Mockingbird, because they only make music for people’s enjoyment. Tom represented the mockingbird. He was an honorable and humble man who was just helping Mayella, but became a target and was killed because of the color of his skin.

6. May 2nd, 2012 at 7:44 pm      Reply alwynp2 Says:

What shocked me was that Tom Robinson had tried to escape. He knew that he would be shot if he tried to run away. It seems to me that Tom knew the consequences of trying to run away, but tried anyway. It also surprised me that Tom Robinson was shot seventeen times. It probably takes fewer bullets to kill someone. (Call of Duty does add to my knowledge!) I don’t know if racism was at play here, or just the desperation to stop a man sentenced to death from escaping. Like Jessie said, it was pretty cowardly of Tom to try and run away. He should have faced his death sentence. I feel bad for Helen, Tom’s wife. Without Tom, how is she supposed to raise their family?

7. May 2nd, 2012 at 7:48 pm      Reply lucyl2 Says:

I felt like Tom Robinson was cheating himself by trying to run away. Atticus said himself that he had good chances of things getting better, so why give up hope? Also, by Tom Robinson trying to escape jail, he is not only giving up on his chances at survival, but Atticus and his family as well. It’s as though he lost faith that Atticus could bring him the justice that he deserved. It also most definitely will not be easy for his wife to take care of her three children without a man in the house to help.
    I was actually quite impressed with Aunt Alexandra. I admired the way that she was able to stay composed after what became of Tom Robinson, so not to cause too much trouble. I admire that. The ability to stay strong for the sake of others. Maybe she does have some lessons that would be beneficial to Scout.

8. May 2nd, 2012 at 7:59 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

In these chapters we face unexpected situations and outcomes. First, Tom Robinson is shot 17 times after attempting to escape jail. According to Atticus, Tom probably did this because he felt all hope was lost and that after Atticus talked to him he had lost all confidence. I don’t blame Tom for what he did because he felt this was his last chance of surviving. Some people on the blog said that he should’ve died another way instead of risking it by running, but I disagree. I’m proud of Tom for trying to escape, and he would’ve regretted it if he hadn’t tried. This is related to our discussion in class about Mrs.Dubose, Atticus and courage. The most courageous people are the ones that try and may not succeed rather than those who don’t try at all.

Another situation I found interesting was the insect situation between Scout and Jem on page 320. When Scout asks to mash the bug Jem prevents her by saying that she shouldn’t since the bug didn’t bother her. This reminds me of the Tom Robinson case and I think the roly poly represents Tom. The court shouldn’t have convicted Tom and killed him because he didn’t bother anyone and was an innocent man minding his own business.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 9:17 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

I completely agree with your post. Tom is definitely courageous and he represents the roly-poly in the way. The roly-poly was innocent yet Scout wanted to kill him. Jem stopped her saying that the bug didn’t do anything. It parallels to Tom’s case where Tom is the roly-poly, Scout is Ewell, and Jem is Atticus.

9. May 2nd, 2012 at 8:37 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

In this section of the story, one of the particularly interesting events was the death of Tom Robinson. I think he didn’t want to accept that the law system got the better of him, and tried to end it in a different way. His action seems defiant, trying to show people that blacks aren’t just going to bow down to whites. In a way, Tom might represent the mockingbird referenced to in the title. He was almost defenseless, and to kill him would be committing a sin, almost evil. Another point worthy of discussion was when Scout found a roly-poly bug and wanted to mash it. Jem sees Scout and tells her to let it go, because it has done no harm. I thought the bug represented innocence, and symbolizes Jem’s maturing from a little boy to a educated and aware man, mainly from before the trial to after. The trial definitely was the climax in this book, and Maycomb will never be the same after it.

In the last chapter, I found the lesson fitting. Miss Gates’ lesson about prejudice and the senseless persecution of Jews by Hitler is a reminder of what happened to Tom Robinson, and how prejudice should be frowned down upon. The interesting part is that Miss Gates is teaching about the horrors of prejudice, while no one, including her, spoke up about the unfair trial that definitely demonstrated prejudice. I guess the bad treatment of blacks doesn’t even count as prejudice to her, as they are so low in society.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 10:22 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

I agree, I find it ironic that Miss Gates didn’t follow her teachings in real life, when they matter most.

10. May 2nd, 2012 at 8:38 pm      Reply bridgetd1 Says:

In chapters 24-26, Tom Robinson dies. He got shot trying to run away from the jail because he gave up hope. Atticus told Calpurnia, Aunt Alexandra and Scout about it when Alex Alexandra had company over because he needed Calpurnia to help him tell Helen. When Aunt Alexandra goes back out of the kitchen she acts like nothing has happened so as not to make a scene, especially because there is a bunch of gossiping ladies. Jem and Dill said that they met Atticus and Calpurnia in the car while they were out swimming. They went with them in the car and told Scout that Helen just collapsed onto the ground and that Calpurnia stayed behind at the Robinson house. I felt really bad for Helen because she has been through so much and Tom just gave up even though Atticus told him that they had a really good chance go back to court. Jem takes Tom Robinson’s death hard because he was already upset about him being guilty and then he was shot. But Bob Ewell just says that it’s one down and two to go, which includes Atticus. Scout learns this from Jem, who hear it from Miss Stephanie Crawford, but Jem tells her not to tell Atticus about it or he will never talk to her again. I think Jem said this because Atticus already has enough on his mind and does not need this on top of it.

11. May 2nd, 2012 at 8:53 pm      Reply nikital Says:

Quite a few situations struck me as significant in chapters 24, 25, and 26 of To Kill A Mockingbird. One such matter was Tom Robinson’s death and Maycomb’s reaction to it. Though he had nearly won his first trial and had appealed to a higher court, this man lost it all in the end. It was during exercise period that Robinson broke into a blind, mad charge to the barbed wire fence, and had started to climb it right in front of the guards. Seventeen bullet holes were found in his body, more than necessary, as Atticus noted. The lawyer had lost his case, as expected, but Tom lost his hope, and that was all that was needed to drag him under.
    Upon hearing this news, Atticus and Calpurnia went to inform Helen, Tom’s wife. Dill, who witnessed her reaction, told Scout that when she caught sight of Atticus outside of her home, Mrs. Robinson had dropped to the ground like someone had stomped on her body and squished it into the earth below. She knew that her husband was gone, never to return. However, to the rest of Maycomb, this news was typical. It was normal for a black man to cut and run, with no mental planning to speak of. It was predictable that he would just run blindly at the first chance he saw and not care for his future. His death brought on almost no pity and remorse. In the end, Tom was just another colored specimen below the common man, just another untamed beast, who was accused, convicted, and killed. Still, there were many who did believe that Tom was an innocent, decent, man, and that his tragic death was far less than he deserved. Thankfully, darkness cannot exist without light.
    In Mr. Underwood’s editorial, he likens Tom’s death to the senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children. In this, the true essence of the novel is revealed. Tom, the mockingbird, doesn’t give trouble like others his age. Instead he, like the songbird, sings his heart out for those who are lucky enough to have him around, and pours out his help to the unfortunate and pitiful, asking for no payment in return.
    Another situation that intrigued me was Miss Gates’s hypocrisy. She made it clear that she was thoroughly against Hitler’s anti-Jewish campaign in Germany, and that it was not right that he should be treating them so. However, Scout also heard her teacher speaking just as hatefully about the African Americans right at home. Treating people better or worse based on the color of their skin or their race made her just as horrible as Hitler. Though she did not take the steps this dictator did, Miss Gates was one of the many who allowed him and others to do so.

• May 2nd, 2012 at 9:48 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

This is a great post and I agree with everything but I don’t think what Miss Gates said made her AS horrible as Hitler. It didn’t make her any better but not as bad as Hitler.

12. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:11 pm      Reply briannab3 Says:

After learning that Tom Robinson was shot trying to escape jail, Scout Miss Maudie and Aunt Alexandra had to go back into their club meeting and act as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.I think they did an amazing job being composed and calm the remainder of the meeting. Miss Maudie took control and made sure there were no traces of the news on anybody’s face. Alexandra was pale and almost in tears and Scout was shaking but Miss Maudie pulled them together and they successfully acted like ladies the whole time. Scout told herself, “If Aunt Alexandra can act like a lady at a time like this, so can I”. She acted as if nothing was wrong, meanwhile she was desperately scrambled on the inside. Her aunts lessons and the comfort of Miss Maudie’s presence made her able to pull off being a lady in the most crucial of moments. This was very responsible of Scout and shows that she can do whatever she puts her heart to

13. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:14 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

In chapters 24, 25, and 26 of To Kill A Mockingbird, Tom Robinson’s death definitely stood out to me the most as I was reading. The fact that he escaped made it even more interesting. I wish we got to see some actual justice like what Atticus had hoped. Atticus thought there would be hope but instead somehow, Tom gave up on faith and tried to escape. I don’t think he gave up on hope or anything. I think he’d rather escape than surrender to the unfair law system. He tried a different way to die but he knew that his death was near and that it was inevitable. Other people disagree with Tom’s action but when you think about it deeply, you can understand why Tom did what he did. I think you can kind of describe Tom Robinson as a martyr (sort of). Well at least that’s how I think about it. His death stirred up some drama but maybe in the future, it can help? Like in future cases that are similar to Tom’s. Maybe, I don’t know. It was just something to chew on.

I think there was a lot of symbolism in these chapters that we recently read. The mockingbird and the Roly-Poly bug represent Tom to me. Tom did what he could and the jury didn’t agree with him. It’s truly unfortunate that one small factor in someone can affect everything else.

14. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:16 pm      Reply sabrinak1 Says:

The passage I found most interesting in the reading tonight was in the very end of chapter 26. It was when Scout’s class was talking about Hitler and how he persecuted the Jews. Scout asked Jem and he flipped out, saing that he hated Hitler and didn’t want to talk about it. Atticus said he doesn’t hate anyone but definatly does not agree with what Hitler did. Miss Gates said that she hates Hitler but she was the only one who could see what is happening in their own town too. no one in Maycomb so far realizes how rascist Tom Robinson’s case was. He was convicted for nothing on the grounds of no evidence, sentenced to death, and then killed for trying to escape. When everyone found out they said “Oh well that’s just his black side coming out, they’re all like that”. This is kind of disgusting that they think that way. They don’t realize how much they segragate and persecute the African-Americans who live in Maycomb. They are never treated even close to equals except by people like Atticus. I don’t understand how Miss Gates’s class could see that it was wrong for Hitler to persecute the Jews but can’t see how equally wrong it is to persecute the African-Americans! It really bothered me and I hope Scout doesn’t grow up thinking that that is okay, but knwoing Atticus, I doubbt he’d let that happen.

15. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:16 pm      Reply carlya1 Says:

The part that struck me the most was when Atticus told Cal, Scout, and Aunt Alexandra about Tom being shot. Tom Robinson was shot trying to escape from the prison during exercise time. He sprinted across the grass, that was about the size of a football field, and climbed the wall. He scaled the wall and almost made it when they shot him seventeen times. That was extremely excessive to shoot him seventeen times. Aunt Alexandra was what really struck me. Aunt Alexandra seemed like an extremely judgmental, hypocritical woman but when she found out that Tom was shot to death, she was tryely devastated. She was this upsshe exause she was worried because things like this tear Atticus apart. They kill him inside because he becomes connected to the people he defends. She may have not cared for or about Tom but she knew her brother did and she truly loves her neither.

16. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:17 pm      Reply carak1 Says:

Of all the things in this reading, one line of Miss Maudie’s struck me. At the meeting of the missionary circle, Miss Merriweather complained about the “her” Sophy who was grumbling after Tom Robinson lost his trial. The last thing she said on the subject was that Sophy didn’t understand that she was kept only out of the goodness of her employer’s heart in the depression. Miss Maudie then said, “His food doesn’t stick going down, does it?” to which Miss Merriweather responded, “Maudie, I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.” Miss Maudie then said with icy brevity, “I’m sure you do.” After rehabilitating the conversation, Aunt Alexandra gave Maudie a look of sheer gratitude. To be honest, I cannot figure out why Miss Maudie said “his food.” Sophy is a woman and the only other possibility I can think of would be Atticus because they are all eating at his home. What is clear, however, is that Miss Maudie told her off for being so flat out racist and rude. She reminded her that the food she eats, the clean house she lives in, the clean clothes she wears: they are all because of her maid, Sophy. Also interesting was Aunt Alexandra’s appreciation of what Miss Maudie said. Alexandra was feeling very uncomfortable about what Miss Merriweather was saying because it pertained to her brother’s work. She disagrees with what Atticus does sometimes (alright, usually) but this is the first time that we really see that she will stand behind him. What she says about family is not just talk. She cares about her brother. I loved to see these sides of these characters.

17. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:31 pm      Reply amandaf2 Says:

In this section of To Kill a Mockingbird, Tom Robinson was shot and killed. I thought that it was totally unfair that he was killed. He tried to escape prison during exercise time and was shot 17 times. It seems wrong that the guards shot him 17 times. It was not necessary to keep shooting him. The story of Tom Robinson is really upsetting. As said in the novel, he was finished as soon as Mayella Ewell screamed. It is a shame that someone would be convicted of a crime that they could have never committed. There was no real evidence that Tom was guilty. The trial would have never even happened if Tom was not black. It also shocked me that Aunt Alexandra was sad for Tom. She seemed to be that kind of woman who is judgmental and racist, but was devastated to hear of Tom’s death. It was surprising to me that she was so upset when Atticus told her about Tom’s death.

18. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:33 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

The first thing I was surprised at was how little the women in chapter 24 reacted to Atticus’ arrival at the house to fetch Calpurnia- Tom Robinson had been shot after he tried to escape. The woman seemed to have paid no attention whatsoever to Tom Robinson’s death- they didn’t even talk about it afterwards. They just continued to chat and eat and it seemed as if Calpurnia’s absence was the only issue. I bet that if it was anyone else who had been shot, the women would have been discussing it furiously. However, since it was Tom Robinson, an African-Amercian, the women could hardly care less. This doesn’t stand to my liking…

We also see Mr. Underwood likening Tom’s death to the equivalent of shooting a songbird (Aha!)

In some ways, I find Tom’s death in this manner plausible in comparison to death by jury. We all know that even though Atticus thinks he has a chance, Tom probably has little chance in an appeal. He would just end up being executed, an innocent man. That would put real holes in our justice system, and I feel as if that would have been even more unfair.

In this case, Tom himself tried to escape because he also suspected that the appeal would be futile. Yet, Tom only has one good arm. You could say that Tom Robinson was asking for death when he tried escaping. Of course, the people who shot him had orders to do so, as they couldn’t let anyone escape. It is still unfair that Tom has to die, but I feel that this death is more favorable compared to an execution. Does anyone else think this way?

19. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:39 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

Throughout tonight’s reading I found numerous passages to be interesting and significant. The first of which happened fairly early in these chapters: Tom Robinson’s attempted escape from prison which resulted in his death and how the citizens of Maycomb reacted to it. Tom had given up hope one day in the exercise period and decided to try to escape the prison by breaking into a mad sprint to the fence and hopping over it. While he got to the fence, the guards had managed to put seventeen bullet holes into him and kill him. The guards talked about how if he wasn’t handicapped then he would’ve been able to escape. I can’t understand why he would do this. Although he lost the first trial, there was still a chance that he could’ve been found innocent when his case was being reviewed by a higher court.
    Atticus heard this news, and knew he had to be the one to tell Tom’s wife about her husband’s death. He took Calpurnia along with him and on the way he encountered Jem and Dill who joined him. Since Dill had seen the whole thing, he was the one to tell Scout that after one of the children brought her to Atticus and their eyes met, she just dropped to the ground without a single word being spoken. Just from Atticus’s face she was able to tell that the man she loved was gone forever. While his death was absolutely devastating to his wife, the citizens of Maycomb talked about it briefly because they saw it as just typical news. A black man running blindly with no thought of the road ahead was just something they saw as normal and they expected it. Tom Robinson was yet another convicted black man that was killed. While the majority of the town felt no remorse for his death, there people like Miss Maudie, Scout, Jem, Atticus and Dill who cared. Mr. Underwood cared as well. He was incredibly bitter because of how nobody seemed to care, and compared Tom’s death to the senseless slaughter of innocent songbirds by hunters and children. He was the mockingbird in the title of this book, and according to Atticus, it is a sin to kill a mockingbird. Tom’s death truly was a sin. Tom Robinson was an innocent man who did nothing to harm others and instead did what he could to help others, and he was killed for a crime he did not commit.
    The last interesting passage was how hypocritical Mrs. Gates was about Adolf Hitler’s treatment of the Jews and her own treatment of African-Americans. While she believed that what Hitler was doing to the Jews was terrible and the Jews did not deserve to be treated that way, she said hateful things about African-Americans. Something that is intriguing is that she is not the only person to be hypocritical in this book. Aunt Alexandra is the only one I can remember off the top of my head but I remember we mentioned more in class.

20. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:42 pm      Reply elizabethp4 Says:

In chapters 24, 25, and 26, Tom Robinson died. He didn’t pass away because of any disease, nor did the chair – he attempted to run away, but was shot dead with seventeen bullets before he had a chance. Atticus might have lost the case, but he didn’t lose hope – Tom Robinson was the one who lost hope and kind of lost his mind. The reaction that Aunt Alexandra had was astonishing – when Scout and Jem snuck into the court to watch the trial and she found out, Aunty was furious at them. She thought that the case was a bit too inappropriate for them. The unexpected friendship between Aunt Alexandra and Miss Maudie also comes to light when Tom’s death is shared to them by Atticus; Miss Maudie helps Aunt Alexandra act like a lady and make it seem like nothing major happens. But the worst reaction had to have been Helen Robinson’s, Tom’s wife. She was so hurt that she just fell over; as soon as she saw Atticus she knew something was wrong.

21. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:43 pm      Reply anjuv1 Says:

The most important thing that I recollect after reading the three chapters assigned was Tom Robinson’s death. I was so depressed and was in utter shock. I didn’t think he would do something like that. He probably thought that he being called guilty in the case meant that he would receive the death penalty. That is why he took the risk of running away from prison and was shot seventeen times. Either way his life would end in death, so he took the chance of escaping. He lost all sight of hope and therefore didn’t care if his life was at risk. Going back a little to the case, Tom Robinson was portrayed as a symbol of racism. He showed how even though the people of the court knew he was innocent they still left him with the charges due to the color of his skin. As the case continues to go on and to Tom’s death, Atticus was able to show the people of Maycomb how bad racism was. Going back to tonight’s reading, I felt terrible for Atticus and how he was left to tell Helen, Tom’s wife, the new of her husband. She crumpled to the ground after hearing what happened. She was shocked and was mortified, like anyone after hearing bad news.

22. May 2nd, 2012 at 9:47 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

There were a couple sentences in tonight’s reading that really stood out to me. It was, “Mr. Underwood simply figured it was a sin to kill cripples, be they standing, sitting, or escaping. He likened Tom’s death to the senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children…” (p.323). These sentences really caught my attention because they reminded me of something that was said earlier in the book. Atticus was saying, “Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird,” (p. 119). When Miss. Maudie explained what that meant to Scout, she said that it was a sin because mockingbirds don’t do anything but entertain us so there is no point in harming them. Just like we talked about in our class discussion today, there was the connection between Tom and the mockingbird, how there was no point in harming Tom because he really hasn’t done anything bad, all he has done are things that help people. Between learning that he has been shot and the sentences that I pointed out that were in these chapters, we can fully understand the connection between Tom and the mockingbird.

23. May 2nd, 2012 at 10:07 pm      Reply ashleys2 Says:

In tonight’s reading of To Kill A Mockingbird, Scout’s third-grade teacher, Miss Gates, surprised me. She was teaching her class about current events, mainly Adolf Hitler and how he persecuted the Jews. Miss Gates believed that it is wrong of Hitler to lock the Jews up and put them in the concentration camps because of their religion, and how there is no one worse than a person who is prejudice. This was especially hypocritical of her to say because racism and prejudice because of what class you are are a few of the main problems of living in Maycomb. The jury basically locked Tom Robinson up for a crime he didn’t commit only because he was black and a white woman accused him of doing it. If he was white he would’ve gotten some leniency, and the court didn’t even have any evidence against him! In fact, it was almost proven he didn’t ra*e Mayella Ewell because his left hand was crippled by a previous accident, and she got punched in the right side of the face. Also, in Maycomb if you aren’t a top social class, you are judged. The Cunninghams are judged by the townspeople, the Ewells are judged by everyone, and the Negroes are shunned by the town just because they are black. Isn’t that the same as shunning Jews from a town in Germany or Poland just because they are Jewish? Furthermore, Miss Gates is one to talk about prejudice people because after the Tom Robinson case she was talking to Stephanie Crawford about how “it’s time someone taught them (Negroes) a lesson”. Scout remembers this and it confuses her because she realizes that Miss Gates is contradicting herself. When Scout brings it up to Jem, he becomes angry with her because he is realizing the facts of reality as he grows older and he is just as, if more confused than Scout. As Jem realizes reality, his new opinions on life are starting to rub off on Scout, and she is beginning to see that there are many things wrong in her world.

24. May 2nd, 2012 at 10:12 pm      Reply johnw2 Says:

In tonight’s chapters we hear of the passing of Tom Robinson, a innocent man convicted guilty. He was a victim of basic racism of an all white jury. At least Tom died due to decision he made on his own and not because of something a white man forced upon him. This was Tom’s last act as a free man, hopefully it was something he would not regret doing. The most sad thing though was the fact that he would have made it were it not for his gimp arm. It seems that his service for a white man condemned him in more ways then one. Racism is a very interesting topic because it is common throughout many different time periods. The reason racism is still around today is because there was that initial thought that white men are superior, due to that first thought it started a belief that has been retained through hundreds of years. As Ms. Quinson said it is the familiar dog that no one is brave enough to put down except great men like Atticus. So until everyone becomes an Atticus (which sadly is very unlikely) racism will still thrive somewhere in someplace. Like British in WWII it will never quit.

25. May 2nd, 2012 at 10:20 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

In this section of the novel, a few events stood out to me. I found Tom Robinson’s death to be very interesting. He was shot and killed after trying to escape. He wasn’t just shot once though, he was shot seventeen times. This was very excessive, considering you can get killed by one or two shots. I think they did this based on their racism, to add insult to him. I found Robinson’s actions reasonable but I feel a bit disappointed in him. Running away and escaping fate is a bit cowardly to me. To me, getting shot in the back many times is more dishonorable than being punished for justice. However, you could argue that he doesn’t even deserve this fate. From what we can tell, Robinson didn’t even commit the crime, but because of his race, he was killed for something he didn’t do. I feel bad for Robinson, he was punished purely based on his race.

26. May 2nd, 2012 at 10:23 pm      Reply anthonym9 Says:

I was really sad when I heard that Tom Robinson was killed while in jail. I was really hoping (not that it would ever happen) that Tom might win the appeal. Although many people disliked Tom and hoped he lost, I don’t think the guard killed him just because it was him. The guard saw a prisoner trying to escape and he did his job.
    I also noticed a difference in the relationship between Aunt Alexandra and Scout. When Scout does what Aunty want her to do, she likes her. It was also interesting when Scout said that “If she can be a lady, so can I”.
    I also found it kind of funny that the children of Maycomb don’t even know what a current event is. This shows that all many kids know about is Maycomb. This explains the racism in the town (because everyone kind of believes the same thing here).

27. May 2nd, 2012 at 10:47 pm      Reply michaelt10 Says:

There were a few things that struck me as interesting in this section. The first was Tom Robinson’s death. It almost seems as if there was no prejudice involved in the killing. He was simply an escaping prisoner, and the officers were doing their job. They would have shot a white man doing the same thing, and it is really Tom’s fault that he is dead. Another thing I found interesting was the Aunt talking about southerners not being hypocrites, when she is a hypocrite herself. Then, there was the conversation about Hitler. They, in Germany, chose the Jews to persecute and be prejudice towards. All the Americans at that time were grieving over how terrible it was, but we are doing the same thing here. Weather it is as bad or not, we still treated black people much worse than whites.

28. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:29 pm      Reply innag2 Says:

In tonight’s reading, we read about how Tom Robinson was killed while trying to escape from prison. I found this horrible. He tried climbing the fence, but as he was one handed, he wasn’t fast enough. The prison guards fired a warning shot, but he just kept on climbing, so they were forced to shoot him, as he left them no choice. I think this was utterly selfish of Tom, and I mean, just awful. How could he have done this? Ok, he thought that he wouldn’t get an appeal, but he COULD HAVE. He COULD HAVE gotten an appeal. Unlikely, but there was hope. Also, did he not think of how much trouble Atticus went through to try and get him to win? He just threw that out the window and ran. If he wouldn’t stop for Atticus, he should have thought of his wife and children, who were at home, worrying about him, and praying and hoping that he would get an appeal. He left them on this world alone, with no provider, and he didn’t even blink. Did he even think about how his distraught his wife would be when she learned that he basically killed himself? Or how his children would grow up without a father? He just ran, without thinking about anyone and anything, except that tiny, .00001% chance that he could escape. I personally think that was extremely selfish of Tom Robinson, because no matter how bad things could get, he could’ve gotten out, and lived, but instead he decided to go on a death mission and leave his wife and children alone in this cruel, cruel world.

• May 3rd, 2012 at 12:01 am      Reply Autumn N. Says:

I don’t really agree that Tom was being selfish. I think that he was just desperate. Really, even if he did get an appeal, what were the chances that he would be proven innocent? The facts are that black men (and women) did not have equal rights in that time and especially not in the south. Tom was sick of waiting and listening to what everyone was telling him. Tom for once wanted to make a decision for himself. And he chose to try his luck. Because, really he had nothing to lose. His family was bound to suffer either way, whether he was rotting in a jail cell or in a place without suffering.

29. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:32 pm      Reply tylerf2 Says:

There were a few things that really caught my attention in tonight’s reading of To Kill A Mockingbird. The first event was a tragic one, the death of a poor, defenseless, innocent Tom Robinson. It was quite tragic how he died, gunned down by an officer guarding the prison he was staying at. Tom tried to escape the prison, and the officer spotted him and did his “job.” Did the officer want to kill Tom? Probably not. Therefore, there was no prejudiceness involved, but simply one man doing his job and the other paying the price. I believe that there was no racial provoction in the officer’s actions, for he surely would have done the same thing to a white man trying to escape. However, the sad thing is that he was so close to “freedon” and would have escaped if it weren’t for his gimp arm. His services to whites had brought him down in more that one way apparently. However, all this sorrow and loss and evil ties into the topic of racism. Racism is an evil, and we all know it. Yet, despite the fact that we are aware it is a sin to be racist, it still occurs to this very day. Why? Simply because there was always a sense of how whites were superior to blacks in every way (which I do not believe. I believe we were all created equal). Atticus in the courtroom; he opened the public eyes so that they can see the true evil of racism. Tom, representing that idea, is now gone. Even though the people now know of the evil, no matter what, racism will always exist somewhere.

30. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:34 pm      Reply Anton Says:

Tom Robinson has bailed on life in tonight’s reading. He decided to try and escape rather than wait and see if Atticus would be able to get him out. Atticus told Tom that it was even likely that something would be done and he would be freed. It seems that Tom just could not stand it any longer. He was innocent (it seems) but was put in jail. He seemed to have went mad, not being able to deal with being in jail. He decided to take the quick way out and just end it. This was not a good idea in terms of its impact on society. First of all, he exited life as a coward, whereas he could have died a martyr for equality. He also reinforced and/or created stereotypes such as “always running away” and “no thought for the future.” If he had just hung on a little longer, he may have escaped with his life and respect.

31. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:57 pm      Reply Autumn N. Says:

In tonight’s reading, there were a few things that struck me as particularly interesting. Firstly, I’d like to note what Mr. Underwood wrote about Tom Robinson’s death in his newspaper. “He likened Tom’s death to the senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children…”. Songbirds. I find this to be the key word. We talked a little bit about it in class today and what the Mockinbird symbolizes in this story. It symbolizes Tom Robinson. Tom Robinson is an innocent and harmless man. The mockingbird is an innocent and harmless creature. Yet, somehow it is okay to kill one of them.
    Another thing that caught my attention was when Scout says, “Tom was a dead man the minute Mayella Ewell opened her mouth and screamed.” It is so true. Every man is supposed to be given a fair trial in the American Judicial System but because Tom Robinson was a black man, no amount of fighting could ever undo the damage done by the girl.
    Also, I was intrigued by the class discussion about Hitler. Each person expresses their views about the immorality about persecuting someone based on their religious views. Mrs. Gates expresses her opinion strongly; she absolutely despises Hitler and all of the vulgar actions that he partakes in in persecuting the Jews. However, something confused me and also confused Scout. Mrs. Gates had a strong opinion about how it was wrong to persecute jewish people yet wasn’t she doing the same thing to African-Americans only because of their skin color. Mrs. Gates distinctly said to Miss Stephanie that the black people of Maycomb needed to be “taught a lesson” because they were feeling too powerful, like they had equal rights. That is the most hypocritical thing I have ever heard. So, it’s okay send someone to jail simply because they are black but it is an abomination when a white person is persecuted because of their religion? It shouldn’t be okay in either case! At the ladies meeting, hypocrites was a topic that came up then too. Scout is thinking that everyone in Maycomb it hypocritical but Mrs. Merriwhether argues that the people are honest and not hypocrites at all, even though she is the biggest one of all. Hypocrisy is a large part of this novel.

32. May 3rd, 2012 at 9:28 am      Reply benjaminf Says:

While reading these three chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird, I found a few things interesting. First of all, I have realized that Scout has been thinking of herself as a more of a man than a woman lately, it first happened when she is with Aunt Alexandra’s friends and realizes how judgmental the women are and that she would prefer to be with men because they forgive and forget, unlike women that don’t forgive and forget and instead give people streaks that last for generations. She also says that she is like a man when she wants to kill a centipede but Jem acts like more of a girl than she does. She has already realized that she is a tomboy, but now she thinks of herself less of a woman as she learns more about the comparison in behavior between men and women. I think that her relationship between Aunt Alexandra will improve now because after Atticus walked in and took the ladies aside to tell them that Tom Robinson had died, when Atticus and Calpurnia went to tell Helen the news, Scout and Aunt Alexandra went back into the room and Aunt Alexandra smiled at Scout. Then Scout thinks to herself that if she can keep her good manners at a time like this, then so can she. I think their relationship will improve because after that experience Scout will respect her more and since Aunt Alexandra smiled at her, she might treat Scout better because her manners are apparently improving.

33. May 3rd, 2012 at 7:22 pm      Reply Ben E. Says:

I feel bad for Tom Robinson. Although Tom believed he had no chance of living, he still died fighting, just like Mrs. Dubose. Although he didn’t succeed in his final attempt of escape I feel like he died on his own terms, and still in his mind, innocent. If he had let them kill him on the chair, he would have had his entire family knowing exactly when he would die, and he would die, although still innocent, without anyone else on his side. I also think that the fact that he was shot 17 times was a little scary. Once would have been enough, but yet they had to shoot him 17 times, 16 of those were shooting a dead body. Also I noticed that in his report, Mr. Underwood wrote that it is a sin to kill a cripple, just like when a hunter kills a songbird. The title To Kill a Mockingbird is now explainable.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: