Ms. Quinson's 2011-2012 9H Blog

a place for students to express themselves

“I’ll tell him you said hey, little lady.”

April27

Tonight please read chapters 15, 16, and 17 of To Kill a Mockingbird.   Then write your response.  Please consider the following questions:

• What passage or passages strike you as interesting or singular and why?
  • What questions do you want to discuss with the class tomorrow?
  • Why do you think these questions may generate interesting discussion?

Keep annotating!

Review those flash cards!  Make sure you quiz yourself each and every night, once or twice on the words.  If you do, you are sure to ace the vocabulary section of our Mockingbird assessment.

49 Comments to

““I’ll tell him you said hey, little lady.””

1. April 27th, 2012 at 6:13 pm      Reply johnk4 Says:

First I thought it was surprising that the Cunninghams went after Tom Robinson. You would think that people like the Cunninghams would like the colored people then the well to-do white people. I found this fact to be very interesting. Also it was interesting how Mr. Underwood was looking out for Atticus when the mob congregated outside the jail. It is stated that he hates African Americans yet he protects Atticus who is defending the person he despises. Also the way Atticus handled his case was admirable. It was amazing how he changed a hopeless situation. I thought he was going to lose.

• April 27th, 2012 at 6:23 pm      Reply Jesse Says:

I think that the Cunninghams just came with the others because they wanted to get some action or fit in or something. I don’t think it was necessarily because they dislike colored people. Then again I could be wrong…

• April 29th, 2012 at 6:56 pm      Reply innag2 Says:

I ‘m not sure. I think that the Cunninghams may just be racists. Back then in the South, most people were, and most people hated the colored people. It was very much a segregated community, and I think that Cunningham was drunk, and was easily persuaded by the angry mob to join them and go and fight/try to kill Tom Robinson.

2. April 27th, 2012 at 6:36 pm      Reply Jesse Says:

I also thought an interesting event in this chapter was when the men had tried to lynch Tom Robinson. They were determinded and there was nothing Atticus could have said to change their minds. I thought it was kind inspiring in a way that those grown men, who were acting quite foolishly were stopped dead in their tracks when a little girl came up to them and began talking about entailments. It suprised them so much and made them realized that Atticus and his children were friends of theirs and what they were doing wasn’t right. It was strange to see how huge an impact this had on them, how after Scout started conversing with them they gave up and decided to go home.

3. April 27th, 2012 at 8:49 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

These chapters of our story were packed with excitement. Atticus continues to show his true and good side by representing Tom Robinson, in a highly publicized case. It seems the entire town, even Aunt Alexandra, is against his decision. One night, Atticus goes downtown to the jail and is reading, when a mob of men come out of their cars and start demanding Atticus to move away from the jail door. Atticus refuses for a little while, and then Scout jumps in, presenting herself to this group. Atticus is angry at Jem for disobeying him, but Scout is undeterred. She manages to convince the men to go away by finding a soft spot in Mr. Cunningham, one of the men, about his son. I am surprised by the influential abilities of Scout. She is a elementary school girl, and she was able to do what she did.

The next chapter, and day, the town of Maycomb is buzzing with excitement about the case against Tom Robinson, who will be represented by Atticus. The vast majority of the town arrives at the courthouse bright and early, to witness a foregone conclusion, the prosecution of the Negro, Tom Robinson. The controversial thing about this trial is Atticus, who was appointed to defend Robinson, but was not expected to do so. However, given the opportunity, Atticus has chosen to try to win this case, earning criticism from everybody. Also, who would have believed Scout, Jem, and Dill wouldn’t attend this trial? Yet again not following Atticus’s orders, the children sneak in to the courtroom to watch the trial.

The trail itself is overly unfair, and corrupt to massive extents. What else to expect from a white vs. black trial anyways? I thought Tom Robinson was always on the receiving side of arguments, forced to defend himself rather then putting pressure on Bob Ewell, the plantiff, to answer some questions of his own. This made the situation almost impossible for Tom Robinson, and highlights the time period, and segregation that came with it. The interesting part of this chapter happened at the end. Bob Ewell was asked to write his name, and revealed that he was left handed. This might be evidence for him to have beaten up Mayella, because the bruises on her face suggest a left-handed person beating her up. Jem gets excited, and thinks Tom Robinson is safe. The next few chapters will be interesting to see what becomes of this trial.

A passage that struck me as singular was definitely when Scout approached the men and convinced them to stop pestering Atticus. It really is surprising that she could do this. I believe the purpose of the these chapters is to show us the innocence of the children, who don’t know much about skin color and racial issues, and the cruel nature of law in the South, the outcome of which is decided completely by a white judge, who is naturally going to give the benefit of the doubt to a white.

• April 28th, 2012 at 8:25 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

YES! I agree. Do you think Atticus will win? When I read the chapter where he is at court he seems like a professional judge who knows what he’s doing.

• April 29th, 2012 at 9:03 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

I think Atticus will win because the questions he asked pointed out things that would prove that Tom Robinson was innocent. The fact that Bob Ewell was left-handed and his daughter’s injuries would’ve been made by a left-handed person and the fact that he didn’t send for a doctor point to the possibility that Bob Ewell beat his daughter and didn’t send for a doctor because the doctor would’ve noticed that he was the one that beat her and he would’ve been put in jail for domestic violence. To prevent this, Bob Ewell wouldn’t have sent for a doctor and he would’ve blamed Tom Robinson, which people would’ve believed because of the racism at the time. Is this true? We will have to read on.

4. April 27th, 2012 at 9:13 pm      Reply nikital Says:

One matter that struck me significant in chapters 15, 16, and 17 of the novel To Kill A Mockingbird was that of Atticus and the lynch mob. After he refused to move from the jailhouse door, as one of the mob had asked him to, Scout, sensing trouble, immediately raced from her hiding place… and into an unfamiliar group of men. These men were nothing like the throng that stood outside her house one day, waiting to talk to Atticus. No, this group was different, composed of mostly farmers, “sullen-looking, sleepy-eyed men”, united by their hate and fear of the colored folk. Frightened and embarrassed, Scout searched for a familiar face among the unfriendly countenances, and then saw Mr. Walter Cunningham, the father of a boy she knew at school. Familiar with his legal affairs, she began to talk to him about his entailments, and when that failed, about his son. Her friendliness and innocence got through in the end, when she told Mr. Cunningham, despite what was happening, to say “hey” to his son for her. Ashamed and brought to his senses, he told Scout he would and left in peace with his companions. Later, Atticus states, “ That proves something– that a gang of wild animals can be stopped, simply because they’re still human”. Though the mind sometimes overpowers the conscience, it never abandons the man, but waits for the right time to strike and take charge again, with or without help. In this case, Scout found Mr. Cunningham’s heart, which led him to eventually make the right decision and turn away.

• April 28th, 2012 at 8:21 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

I do not think Scout rushed out because she sensed trouble; moreover because she wanted to surprise the men there or say hi or something. Plus, Scout didn’t even know what the men were doing until after the entire thing was over. She did NOT know that they could easily have decided to beat up Atticus, or that they were not there on friendly terms. She had originally thought they were just chatting with Atticus.

• April 29th, 2012 at 12:28 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

I agree with what Leon said. In my response, I also wrote about how Scout ran into the mob because she sensed trouble, but it makes sense that it just could have been to surprise Atticus and say hi.

5. April 28th, 2012 at 1:47 pm      Reply Ben E. Says:

I was amazed at how wise Scout is. Firstly, she figured out where Atticus was. Then she was able to protect him from a lynching mob simply by telling Mr. Connigham about her experiences with his son. I don’t think that Scout understood what was going on, just the fact that Atticus was in danger, and he couldn’t protect himself. The other thing that interested me was mob mentality. We know Connigham disliked all of his fellow mob members, but yet he allied with them. Why? Thirdly, why did Mr. Underwood protect Atticus when he supposedly hates blacks? I think he did this because he either doesn’t hate blacks, or, that he cares about Atticus more than he hates blacks. With the trial beginning tomorrow, who knows what lies ahead for Robinson, Scout, and Atticus.

6. April 28th, 2012 at 4:12 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

In these few chapters we learn more about Atticus and his involvement in the Tom Robinson case. In chapter 17, the trial is taking place and there was a large turnout of people coming from the south, colored and white, to see this trial go on and the outcome. I was a little shocked by the amount of people who came, but I realized that this a big deal but that me think, if the colors were switched, if a white man was raping a colored woman, would it be such a big deal? Probably not.

I found this passage to be really interesting. Mr.Dolpus is a white man who chose to go off with a colored woman and have kids. It was interesting how Scout said that he didn’t look like trash and Jem replies saying he isn’t, but he’s just that way. This proves that going off with a woman from a different ethnicity was degraded and looked down on. Scout was shocked and initially thought that he had to be a man from a low class to go off with a black woman. This situation connects with the Tom Robinson case. Tom is a black man, who is accused of raping a white woman. If the genders were switched, and it was a white man raping a black woman, would it be such a big deal? I think the author placed this passage in the novel to show the segregation and how it took a toll on people’s lives.

7. April 28th, 2012 at 8:17 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

The passage that struck me as the most interesting in these chapters was probably the part where Jem, Scout, and Dill sneak out of the house to see whether Atticus was okay or not. The children find Atticus confronted with a group of people who demand Tom from inside the jail. Scout, who thought that these people were the same people they saw a day ago, jumps out from hiding and says hi… only to discover that these people are different people, and that they look as if they mean business.

Now Scout, who is young and innocent, is totally oblivious to the fact that these people may easily have beat-up Atticus over Tom Robinson. Scout however, is insistent on saying hello and engaging in conversation with the only man she recognizes in that group- which would be Mr. Walter Cunningham. Surprisingly, her polite conversation ended up disbanding the mob, and allowed Mr. Cunningham to realize that what his group was trying to do was not right.

I guess this is typically what Southern people are used to doing. If this took place in somewhere such as New York City, no child would have the nerve to say a single word. It was probably only because of Scout’s southern background that enabled her to engage in friendly conversation that night. Still, her innocence and oblivion to everything that’s going on around her is uncanny.

8. April 29th, 2012 at 11:47 am      Reply alwynp2 Says:

When I was reading To Kill a Mockingbird, I was surprised at the mob. What surprised me more was that the Cunninghams would be part of a mob. Scout eventually talks to Mr. Cunningham and asks him to tell Walter “hey”. Mr. Cunningham convinces the mob to go. Mr. Underwood calls from a window with a shotgun and tells Atticus that he was covered the entire time. I found this strange, since Atticus was protecting a black person and he (Mr. Underwood) despised black people. I was also surprised at how many people went to the trial. People from all over the county came.

9. April 29th, 2012 at 12:27 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

The mob of men trying to lynch Tom Robinson is what stood out to me. This mob was trying to make Atticus move away from the jail house door, so they could get to Tom Robinson. When Atticus refused, Scout sensed trouble and ran out to the middle of the mob, from the safety of her hiding place. She found herself surrounded by a group of men she did not recognize; they did not look like the men who had stood outside her house a different day, wanting to talk to Atticus. Scout was embarrassed and afraid, so she scanned the crowd for a familiar face. The face she found was that of Mr. Cunningham, the father of a boy Scout goes to school with. I was amazed at how she casually inquired about entailments while being watched in astonishment by men she had never seen before, who would have harmed her father if their plan did not go accordingly. When the talk about entailments was over, Scout started to speak about Mr. Cunningham’s son. She asked him to say “hey” to his son for her. Seemingly brought out of some sort of shock and embarrassment, he bent down, put his hands on her shoulders and said, “I’ll tell him you said hey, little lady.” With that, Scout had successfully broken up the mob, which may not have even been her purpose.

10. April 29th, 2012 at 3:48 pm      Reply benjaminf Says:

I found the court scene an interesting one. Since Maycomb is considered a slow, lazy town, it sounds like a trial is big news for Maycomb and that is why most people go socialize on the yard in the time prior to the trial. I know the controversy of mixed marriages and relationships, but I never thought about the children of these relationships in segregated times were thought of as outcasts because since they were mixed, they did not belong in the white neighborhoods because they were colored or the colored neighborhoods because they were white. I feel bad for these children because they are considered outcasts but it is completely not their fault. I haven’t read ahead and I think at this point in the trial Atticus is either being ingenious or not smart because he is asking questions that are out there and he keeps repeating them. It does not seem to be working yet but I think Atticus is good at his trade and might be able to pull his case off. I think Jem is right because since left handed people are rarer than right handed people, and most right handed people punch the corresponding side of the face of their victim, I think that Ewell used his left hand to beat up the right side of his daughter’s face.

11. April 29th, 2012 at 3:50 pm      Reply Anton Says:

I enjoyed the court section, although at times when Scout got off topic from the court case, I would get confused, not noticing the transition. Anyhow, when I could keep track of the situation I found it interesting. When the scene began, and we were informed that the jury was composed mainly of farmers, I immediately assumed that the jury would be bias. Not to be stereotypical, but farmers tend to be closer to the past. I believed that they would be racist towards Tom. It seems because of this, Atticus’s tactic was to try and prove Tom’s innocence. If it was confirmed that he took part in any of this, he would be harshly punished. If Atticus could get Tom’s name cleared, then there would not be room for punishment of of any kind. Atticus appears to be a very good lawyer, and is very keen when it comes to details. His strategy was risky however, and seems to revolve completely around who was a lefty, and who was not, and if the people he needed to to be strong in the specific arm did not line up, he would be in big trouble. This is a rather pivotal moment in the book, and a good cliffhanger to end a chapter on. (not that I like when authors do that)

12. April 29th, 2012 at 4:52 pm      Reply coryannm2 Says:

In the reading it talks of the case against Tom Robinson. It was interesting to see Atticus work his magic, even with the odds against him. Since he is representing an African American in a trial against a white man, most of the people in Maycomb have already decided that Tom is guilty. It is sad to see how corrupted the justice system is and how unfair in such days when African Americans were inferior in the law. Hopefully because the evidence clearly points to Bob Ewell the people won’t be idiotic and sentence the correct man, not an innocent man.
    I was also amazed at how Scout managed to calm an angry crowd of people so easily. Did she even know what was going on? She is only eight after all and I surely did not know much at eight. She talked to Mr. Cunningham about his son and it calmed down the situation and possibly saved a few people from serious injury, and if she did know what was going on, I applaud her bravery.

13. April 29th, 2012 at 5:28 pm      Reply tylerf2 Says:

The readings of these chapters was quite interesting to me. I was particularly interested in the mob that was outside Atticus’s house during the night. Apparently, it had something to do with how Atticus is defending an African-American in court, which the people disapprove of. The group of men pulled up in cars and approached Atticus in an almost hostile way. They stated that they wanted to speak with Tom, but Atticus said to just leave them alone. Dill, Jem and Scout see this and hold back best they can to keep away from him, but Scout exploded in a frenzy of emotion and confusion, and ran to her father for comfort. He obviously was not expecting them to come, and therefore was quite suprised when Scout revealed herself from hiding. The mob, however, didn’t budge. Now Scout realised that the gang consisted of nobody that her family knew of. However, there was one farmiliar face, and that was the face of Mr. Cunningham. Scout says hello to him, but he fails to give her the slightest recognition. However, after Scout persists and persists, he finally gves a reassuring nod to her. Seeing this, she asks him to say hi to Walter for her, and he agrees to this. After this little encounter, Mr. Cunningham comes to his senses and convinces the mob to leave Atticus and Tom Robinson (the African–American) alone. They believe that Atticus will be upset, but instead he is quite joyous and relieved that the kids got the mod to leave. To think, that all it took for these men to make a decision that was probably entirely different from their intentions was an eight year old girl, it is quite astonishing.

14. April 29th, 2012 at 6:27 pm      Reply carak1 Says:

This. Book. Is. Amazing. Just saying :).

In chapter 15, Scout, Jem, and Dill go into town at night to check on Atticus. Jem had a feeling that something bad would happen that night and wanted to make sure his father was alright. Jem’s suspicions were proven true when several cars slowly drove up to Maycomb’s jail, where Atticus had been sitting, apparently waiting for these men to arrive. This group was composed of strangers to Scout, except for Mr. Cunningham. When they seemed poised to hurt Atticus, Scout ran over and intervened. She just started talking to Mr. Cunningham, the only familiar face. She spoke of his son, his entailment, and various occasions that affected the both of them. Although Mr. Cunningham had seemed ready to hurt Atticus, Scout’s small talk had humanized him. She proved that all it takes to stop violence is a reminder that the victim is equal to the perpetrator. In Night, the SS officers would not hang a little boy caught stealing soup because they were reminded that their victims were humans. I wonder if, like Atticus said, a police force composed of children could be more effective sometimes than a traditional adult one.

15. April 29th, 2012 at 6:44 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

Chapters 15, 16, and 17 of To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee were filled with anticipation and excitement. There were many passages that struck me while I was reading. The passage about the mob was definitely most interesting. Scout is incredibly wise for an eight year old. She figured out where Atticus was. She even talked to Mr. Cunningham which helped her dad, Atticus. I think Scout sensed danger which caused her to immediately talk to Mr. Cunningham. I actually don’t think that Scout understood anything that was happening but I think she knew something was up. That’s truly amazing for an eight year old. I admire Scout so much. I also noticed Jem a lot more mature now compared to a few chapters ago. It’s amazing to see how characters grow and mature in a book. I also find it interesting how race and color is one of the most important themes in To Kill A Mockingbird. In the small secluded town, Maycomb, blacks and whites are separated. Back then, it was uncommon for an African-American to get married to a white person. In Chapter 17, we see an example of it. I thought it was very interesting.

• April 29th, 2012 at 9:02 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

I agree, it’s interesting to see how Jem has changed throughout the book. Also, the theme of race and color can be a touchy subject, but I like how well it was pulled off throughout the novel.

16. April 29th, 2012 at 6:49 pm      Reply carlya1 Says:

I think it’s very interesting that the court made Mr. Ewell, as a witness, sign his name. By doing so, he revealed that he is left handed and people who are left handed tend to leave bruises on the right side of people’s bodies. When he found his daughter Mayella, she had bruises only on the right side of her face. Tom Robinson, the person in question, is right handed. Just by signing his name, Mr. Ewe but a little doubt in the mind of the court.

I also thought it was interesting how Mrs. Maudie didn’t attend Tom Robinsons’ court hearing when the rest of the town did. He said watching someone on trial for their life was like attending a Roman carnival. I think this means that watching Tom Robinson being questioned would be like watching someone in Ancient Rome. Ancient Rome is famous for the Colliseum, where the gladiator fights took place and a Roman carnival would probably be like a bunch of people fighting for their lives. I think Mrs. Maudie reacted very similarly to how I would. It would be awful watching someone fighting for their life while people already think he is guilty and want him dead.

17. April 29th, 2012 at 6:54 pm      Reply innag2 Says:

The most interesting thing I found in the reading tonight was about how Atticus went down by the jail to make sure nothing would happen to Tom Robinson. I felt that that was very heroic, because he could’ve gotten hurt. Atticus is so unselfish it sometimes hurts to think about it. He will do everything that can help somebody, and he won’t even demand some form of payment in return. That’s how it worked with the Cunninghams, when Atticus knew that they would not be able to pay for his services. That’s why I was so shocked when it turned out that the Cunninghams were there alongside the other drunk men to form a mob against Tom Robinson. I would never be able to do that to someone like Atticus, no matter how much I hate the person in the jail cell. I was so happy when Scout changed their minds. I mean, an eight year old girl who can turn away an angry, drunk mob? That takes skill. She didn’t even realize what she was doing, but she made Cunningham ashamed of himself and of what he was doing. This struck me as something really and truly great, because she is so innocent. I can’t wait to read on to see what will happen next.

18. April 29th, 2012 at 7:15 pm      Reply lucyl2 Says:

Something that I wondered about while reading chapter fifteen is why Atticus went to the jail and practically waited for this mob to come and hurt him? Why didn’t he just avoid the pain? It wouldn’t make him a coward. It would make him more mature in my eyes. I thought that it was powerful how Scout, a girl so small, could stop and entire mob that was so violent and brutal. These are the moments where I question how this book compared to reality at the time. I think that in the real world, a mob so pugnacious would not be able to deteriorate so easily because of one little girl. It was a sweet moment, that showed that even the most inhumane actions can be stopped, but (in my humble opinion) it was not realistic.

I can relate to what happened at the beginning of chapter 16.
    “I was beginning to notice a subtle change in my father these days, when he talked to Aunt Alexandra. There was a quiet digging in, never an outright irritation.” (p.209) This basically IS the relationship that my dad has towards my grandmother. Sometimes, when she says something he’ll get this tone of voice that simply says “How the heck can you say something this stupid.” I’m not saying that my grandmother is stupid of course, but that’s just what the tone is like. I think that this is the way of life for some people and their family members when we get older. Scout is just now starting to realize that.

19. April 29th, 2012 at 8:26 pm      Reply michaelt10 Says:

In this section of To Kill A Mockingbird, the trial is held. This is the trial that Jem, Scout, and Atticus have been given some grief about, because Atticus is defending a black man. Scout has tried to not listen to what others say about her father, and all of her tension has come down to this. While the court session seems calm, Atticus begins to question Mr. Ewell about his reading and writing. Then, we discover that he is left handed. While this may seem irrelevant, the wounds on his daughter would be from a left handed puncher. It looks like Atticus is trying to convince the jury that Mr. Ewell committed the crime. Then the chapter ended, so we will have to wait to find out who wins the case.

20. April 29th, 2012 at 8:26 pm      Reply bridgetd1 Says:

One thing that stood out in chapter15-17 was when the mob came for Tom Robinson. Atticus was sitting in front of the jail and Mr. Underwood was hiding with a shotgun when the mob came. Jem, Scout and Dill went out to look for Atticus because it was late at night and he took the car, which he never does. The mob was really mad for some reason and was ready to hurt Atticus to get to Tom Robinson. But before they d=could Scout ran out to Atticus and Jem and Dill followed her. Atticus told Jem to go home but he refused. Then Scout spotted Mr. Cunningham in the mob and told him to tell Walter she said hi. Everyone was just staring at her until Mr. Cunningham said that they should leave. On the way home Scout thought Atticus would be mad at Jem but he ruffled Jem’s hair instead. I thought it was interesting that Atticus was not mad at Jem but if Jem had gone home with Dill and Scout, the mob would have never come to their senses. Also, when Tom Robinson asked Atticus if the mob was gone he seemed to be so innocent and I cannot imagine him being guilty.

21. April 29th, 2012 at 8:27 pm      Reply ashleys2 Says:

The court case in tonight’s reading of To Kill A Mockingbird was interesting to me. Atticus seems like a very confident lawyer, and he knows all the right questions to ask. I think that even though Tom Robinson is probably innocent, as there is no real evidence against him besides Bob Ewell and Heck Tate’s story, Atticus knows that the jury would never acquit a black man of raping a white woman. The real suspense that the trial brings is not whether Robinson will be guilty or innocent, but in Atticus’s slow breaking apart of the case and taking out every detail he can possibly get out of it. At the end of the chapter, Jem believes that Atticus has the case in the bag, because his youthful idea of all men being created equal and justice in the legal system blind him from the reality that the court is racist and that there is no way Atticus can win. It is interesting how Jem, Scout, and Dill are sitting in the colored section of the court because it shows that they lack the racism that the rest of the courthouse seems to posses. I also noticed how many people came to Maycomb from all over the county to watch the trial. Back in the times of the book, people saw black men and women being charged, lynched, and tortured as a form of entertainment to them, so that is probably why they came back to Maycomb. I am eager to see what happens next during the trial.

22. April 29th, 2012 at 8:28 pm      Reply briannab3 Says:

In these chapters, the case Atticus has defending Tom Robinson is getting heated.When the men had gathered around Atticus at the jail, determined to lynch Tom Robinson, Scout, Jem and Dill ran forward to “save” Atticus. By making a conversation and trying to be polite with Mr. Cunningham, Scout made him walk in Atticus’ shoes. She mentioned how nice Walter was, and how they had dinner together one day, and I think Mr Cunningham, realized how nice the Finches are. It was put in perspective for him about how Walter would be if he had been hurt, because of Scout and Jem being present. After Scouts persistent, one sided conversation with Scout, Mr Cunningham realized how much the Finches had done for his family and ordered the rest of the men to clear out. It was peculiar that after they left, Mr Underwood made his presence known; he had Atticus covered the whole time with a shotgun from his window for protection. After all, it is known that he isn’t fond of Negroes.
    I like how Atticus isn’t taking any nonsense from his sister. He won’t let her run his life and take control. He likes his life the way it is and is frustrated with her attempts to, in her mind, fix it. Scout says that you can hear the irritation in the sharpness of his voice. I’m glad that Aunt Alexandra isn’t having too much say in the lives of Atticus, Jem, Scout and especially Calpurnia.

23. April 29th, 2012 at 8:32 pm      Reply anjuv1 Says:

While doing the reading for tonight’s blog, Scout and the mob really interested me. Reading through these chapters, we learn more about Atticus and his case with Tom Robinson. Atticus, being the humble and sweet man that he is, goes to the jail to see if Tom was okay. He knows that people are angry over the case he is involved with. One part that truly amazed me while reading these chapters was Scout. Even though she is only eight years old, she is very intelligent and persuasive. An angry mob forms over Tom Robinson’s case and Scout is able to calm them down. She talks to Mr. Cunningham and is able to make the mob dissipate. I was surprised that Mr. Cunningham was involved in the angry mob. He seemed to be a good person, having been a friend of Atticus’. Scout decided to talk to him because she was not familiar with any other person. She was able to make Mr. Cunningham think about what he was doing and how it was wrong. Going back to Scout, I love her character. She is so young, but has so much potential and she is very independent which is fun to read about.

24. April 29th, 2012 at 8:51 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

Within these chapters there were numerous exciting passages that highlight how amazing this book is. We are finally introduced to the Tom Robinson case, and are shown how Atticus is trying to win this case when the odds are against him. On the previous night, Atticus left home to go to the jailhouse and a lynch mob arrived to attack Tom Robinson. Atticus refused to let them pass him and enter the jailhouse, but these men all had a burning hatred for African-Americans, especially Tom Robinson, and were willing to do anything to get in there and lynch him. Scout, Jem, and Dill were watching the scene unnoticed, curious about Atticus being at the jailhouse, but then Scout ran to him. Entering this crowd, she saw that these men were not familiar to her and tried to search for someone she recognized. She did find someone, and that person was Mr. Cunningham, Walter Cunningham’s father. She tries to have a conversation with him about the fact that she knew his son, and asked him to say “hey” for her. Her innocence made Mr. Cunningham realize that what he was doing was wrong and, promising that he would do as she asked, left peacefully with the other men. It is amazing how such a young girl had stopped these men from beating up Atticus and eventually Tom Robinson.

The next day yielded the next exciting passage: the Tom Robinson case. It had only been talked of briefly up to this point, and now the day finally came where Atticus would have to defend both Tom Robinson and his honor as well. He was technically forced to defend Tom Robinson, but he goes against what anyone else would do in this era and decides to actually try to prove Tom Robinson’s innocence. Going back to previous chapters, we know he does this because he is a very moral person and will always do the right thing. He received criticism from everyone in Maycomb, including Aunt Alexandra who said that he was disgracing the Finch family name. He ignores this and defends Tom Robinson because while everybody thinks it’s wrong, it is really is the right thing to do. The trial itself is incredibly unfair, and of course the evidence points to the fact that Tom Robinson was the one who beat and raped Bob Ewell’s daughter. However, Atticus is calm and confident throughout the trial. He asks questions that at first made no sense to me but then Atticus’s skill as a lawyer showed when it all came together. He asks if a doctor was sent to treat Ewell’s daughter’s injuries, which seems irrelevant until he then asks Bob Ewell to write his name. It turned out that Bob Ewell was left-handed, evidence that Bob himself may have been the one to beat up his daughter. In addition, he didn’t send for a doctor because the doctor would’ve noticed that he was the one that beat her and he would’ve been put in jail for domestic violence. To prevent this, he didn’t send for a doctor and he blamed Tom Robinson. While this is just a guess, the questions that Atticus asked support this theory. I can’t wait to read on and find out if this actually happened!

25. April 29th, 2012 at 8:55 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

Throughout this reading, many interesting events occurred. In Chapter 15, Atticus left late at night to go to the jail where Tom Robinson was being held. Jem had a suspicion that something bad was going to happen to Atticus, so he followed him, accompanied by Dill and Scout. They found that he was in front of the jail with a mob of people approaching him, demanding to lynch Tom Robinson. Scout, sensing danger for her father, ran out to him. This mob was different than the previous one, but she recognized Mr. Cunningham, the father of one of her classmates. She started talking to him at first about his business dealings and then his son. She got him to soften up, and he got the rest of the mob to stop. I find it very interesting how brave Atticus was to defend Tom Robinson. At the end, Mr. Underwood stated how he was defending Atticus the whole time, but supposedly Mr. Underwood hates African-Americans. Also, I find it interesting that Scout, at her young age, was able to stop the crowd. It wasn’t her intention, but she made Mr. Cunningham realize that he was doing the wrong thing. She even accomplished this in a dangerous situation, showing her bravery.

26. April 29th, 2012 at 9:00 pm      Reply amandaf2 Says:

In chapters 15-17, I was surprised about the mob. I was shocked that the Cunninghams were going against Tom Robinson. To me they seem like the kind of people who would be kind to the African Americans. However, this was the one opportunity that they had to fit in. I was also surprised that Scout was able to stop the mob just by saying that she knew Walter. She told Mr. Cunningham that she goes to school with him and he is a nice boy. I was very impressed with the way that Atticus handled the case. He was very smart and asked very wise questions. He did a good job trying to do his best to help Tom Robinson. I think that it is very admirable that he is trying so hard to help someone that everyone else discriminates against, and believes is guilty.

27. April 29th, 2012 at 9:34 pm      Reply Autumn N. Says:

In the readings I found the amount of conflicting views of the people of Maycomb very interesting. Mr. Cunningham went along with the mob who were against the black people yet Scout’s mentioning of his son made him back off. Mr. Underwood despised black people yet, he had a deep respect for Atticus and watched out for him. A lot of people didn’t like the African Americans in Maycomb but they liked Atticus and felt conflicted. Atticus’ confidence also aids him. People see that he is confident in his case and they begin to doubt that it will easily be won by Bob Ewell. One other thing that interested me was that Atticus didn’t argue that he had been forced to defend Tom Robinson, he in fact, did otherwise and took pride in it. I at first doubted that Atticus could win this but the inconsistencies in Bob’s testimony and his lawyer’s lack of confidence leads me to believe that Atticus now stands a very good chance.

28. April 29th, 2012 at 9:52 pm      Reply elizabethp4 Says:

The most interesting passage in chapters 15-17 probably had to be in chapter 16, after the mob came to assault Tom Robinson and Scout unknowingly stopped them. Mr. Underwood, with his shotgun, came out and assured Atticus of his support of protecting Tom after the mob left; in chapter 16, it is revealed that Mr. Underwood detests coloured people. He was so adamant to preserve justice that he broke the image that all of Maycomb County has of him.
    Another thing that isn’t nearly as groundbreaking as Mr. Underwood: the morning after the mob attempted to hurt Tom Robinson, it said that “everybody had a delicate appetite” except for Jem. It shows that during these tumultuous events Jem is still growing, maturing, changing. Jem’s refusal to leave Atticus while they were protecting Tom Robinson was also another sign to show that he was no longer a child, he was a man to be reckoned with and respected. The comparison between his maturity and growing up and how young Scout is is shown even more with Scout’s coffee – there’s barely any coffee in it, just mainly milk. Aunt Alexandra claims that she’s “too little” for it. Atticus also calls her a child.
    I gained so much respect for Atticus in these chapters; he’s such a wise, intelligent, thoughtful man. He’s an amazing father, no matter what Aunty says. His ingenuity just might prove Tom Robinson not guilty.
    A side note: Scout doesn’t use proper grammar. While narrating the story, she says “Jem and me”, not “Jem and I”. It might just be how they spoke at the time, or it may even be proper grammar (Cara’s grammar captain, not me!).

29. April 29th, 2012 at 9:57 pm      Reply johnw2 Says:

What I found most interesting in the reading was the mob of people that were coming to attack Atticus while he was outside the jail. These people were act on an impulse instead of well thought out reason. You can tell because Scout is able to talk them out of harassing Atticus and Tom Robinson by simply talking about Mr. Cunningham’s legal troubles. This shows that the mob was not very organized with a reasonable goal in mind, they just wanted to hurt either Atticus or Tom. Another interesting portion was Jem’s reaction to the trial as it is going on. This was interesting because the way that Jem was reacting you would have assumed it was a sporting event he was watching and not a court case. I feel that this shows Jem’s dedicationg to wanting to become a lawyer. If he was not truly 100% committed to being a lawyer he would have been calm the entire time throughout the case. However he was animated and thoroughly engaged with the events taking place on the courtroom floor.

• April 29th, 2012 at 10:25 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

I like how you said it was like Jem was watching a sporting event. Know that I think about, it does seem like that. I just thought that he was excited because he knew what was going on.

30. April 29th, 2012 at 10:23 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

The part I found most interesting in these chapters was when Jem, Scout, and Dill were in the courtroom watching the trial going on. I thought that it was interesting how Jem seemed to know what Atticus was trying to do the whole time, meanwhile, the rest of the people seemed clueless as to what was going on. It was almost as if Atticus told Jem what he planned on doing and each time Atticus hit his point, Jem got excited. I also found it very strange how Scout knew so much about being a lawyer and what they do. She is only eight years old and while she didn’t even understand what the case was about, she knew that it was dangerous for Atticus to ask a question like if Ewell knew how to right his name because even though she might not have known the follow up question, she knew that if Atticus could be proved wrong on whatever he was trying to do, it could ruin his whole case. Jem and Scout might have just picked up on all this lawyer stuff just from being around Atticus a lot and watching his cases, but I think that they are just both really smart children, even if Scout does hate school.

31. April 29th, 2012 at 11:08 pm      Reply anthonym9 Says:

The court case was very interesting to me. Since there is no proof against anything in the court, it is one man’s word vs. another’s. Atticus is the most clever person in this book. Somehow, he figures out that Mr. Ewell might have beaten Mayella up because she was all bruised on the right and he was a lefty. He got the judge to realize he is lefty and realize that the woman was bruised on the right. This may be enough proof to get Tom Robinson out of jail.

32. April 30th, 2012 at 8:38 am      Reply sharonm1 Says:

Atticus stayed at the jailhouse door to prevent anybody from lynching Tom Robinson. A mob approached him and demanded that he moved from the door. He refused to move from the jailhouse door, Scout sense=ing her father was in danger immediately raced from her hiding place and into the group of men. These men were nothing like the people who stood outside her house one day, waiting to talk to Atticus. Frightened, Scout searched for a familiar face among the unfamiliar men. Then she spotted Mr. Cunningham, the father of Walter Familiar with his legal affairs. She started to make conversation with him, by talking to him and his entailment and his son. Her being so friendly and innocent to him made him ashamed of his actions, and brought him to his senses. He then left the jailhouse followed the other members of the mob. By talking so sweetly and innocently to Mr. Cunningham, she was able to find his heart and soften him. Because of this he turned away and left taking other members of the mob. Because of this incident I predict that there will be trouble in store for Atticus and the kids because of how the public is reacting to the court case.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar