Ms. Quinson's 2011-2012 9H Blog

a place for students to express themselves

I have had a most rare vision.

January12

I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was–there is no man can tell what. Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is but a patched fool, if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream was.

Paraphrase and analyze Bottom’s speech at the end of Act IV, scene i.  Are we meant to agree or to disagree with his statements?  Why or why not?  Explain what you think Shakespeare is really trying to teach the audience member or reader in this speech.

As always, don’t forget to respond to at least one other classmate’s response in this thread.

67 Comments to

“I have had a most rare vision.”

1. January 12th, 2012 at 6:35 pm      Reply coryannm2 Says:

After being turned from a man to an ass and back, Bottom had been confused. After waking from sleeping he had thought his adventures to be nothing, but a mid summer night’s dream. He is confused about the dream and whether it meant something or not, but it had felt real and left him sputtering. After he wakes up and finds the other actors
    Bottom says:
    I have had an odd vision. I had a dream, though no man could say what the dream had been: a man is an ass if he is to further explain this dream. I thought- no man can tell what I thought. I thought I was,-and I thought I had,-man is a fool to dwell on what I thought I had. The senses of man are incapable of knowing what my dream had been.
    I believe that Bottom is telling us the nature of dreams. They seem realistic at the time, but afterwards you realize that they are strange and you find yourself slowly forgetting them. Not only this, but dreams are insubstantial and a person would be an ass if they were to dwell on things such as a dream. Within a dream your senses nary work properly and things are blurry. Shakespeare may be telling the audience the true nature of dreams. They are nothing, but the wanderings of an idle brain.

2. January 12th, 2012 at 7:11 pm      Reply johnk4 Says:

Bottom states that he has had a dream that no mortal can understand or try to comprehend. He is saying that humans do not have the intelligence to understand the dream. He also says the people who try to interpret the dream are very stupid. Bottom states that he thinks man is a fool if he tries to interpret this strange dream. He says that man has not come into contact with anything that help him make sense of the dream. . Yes I agree with his speech. In real life or even in the story humans have not come into contact with anything that may make sense of the so-called dream. For example people have not come into contact with anything like fairies. If we do see it we deny it by saying it is something else that we want to make sense of. Humans are unwilling to go beyond what we consider normal. Therefore people would dismiss Bottom’s dream as a figment of his wild imagination. Examples of this are shown in real life. People who saw Sasquatch or the Yeti were dismissed as lunatics. However the people’s judgment might not be right. Examples that show this are the giant squid. The public convinced people who saw this that it was a hallucination or an elaborate hoax. It was just not normal for se people. In the end the giant squid turned out to be real. Think Shakespeare was trying to convince the audience that not everything is our imagination and not to be so sure that it was a dream.

3. January 12th, 2012 at 7:14 pm      Reply lucyl2 Says:

After Bottom wakes up, he thinks that everything thate he’s been through (like the ass head, and his love for Titania) was just a dream. He thinks nothing that had happened to him was real. It couldn’t be real because of how illogical it was.

I have had a strange dream, but I cannot explain what it was. I’d make an ass out of myself if I even tried. I thought I was one. No man can explain my dream. A man would be an idiot to try and analyze what I thought I had. A man is unable of understand my dreams.

I agree with Bottoms statements. I believe, that we are the only people who are able to understand our dreams because we are the only people that live through them. Also, whenever we try to tell others about the dreams we’ve had, we sound like idiots, and vise versa. I do disagree however, when he said that people who dwell on their dreams are fools. People say that dreams are an effort of your mind to communicate to you while you’re sleeping. If that is the case, we SHOULD dwell on our dreams so that we can progress further in our lives.

Shakespeare is trying to tell us in Bottom’s speech that our dreams are specialized only to us, and only we will be the ones to understand them. If other people understood our dreams, they would never be special to us.

• January 15th, 2012 at 7:17 pm      Reply alwynp2 Says:

I agree about what you said about dreams. I said the same thing in my blog. Your dream should be your own business. I read on someone’s blog that “no one understands the dream better than the dreamer.

4. January 12th, 2012 at 7:52 pm      Reply Jesse Says:

Ive had a dream. A very strange dream but i woauld look like an ass if i tried to explain it. I thought I was one. No one can explain this dream. It would be foolish to anylize it . No one can understand it.

I agree with what bottom says about his dream. First off, it was a very strange and slightly embarrassing dream. Secondly, I think what Shakespeare is trying to tel the readers/audience that man should not anylize thier dreams for it is quite foolish. The dreams aren’t meant to be anylized. The thoughts of the subconscious will remain a mystery.

• January 12th, 2012 at 8:19 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

I agree with what you said about how dreams aren’t meant to be analyzed and that it is foolish to try to analyze them. They are meant to be a mystery and are just the wandering of the subconscious while we are sleeping.

5. January 12th, 2012 at 8:03 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

After having an ass head and Titania being in love with him, Bottom wakes up the next day very confused. He couldn’t really explain what happened, and he believed it was all a dream because of how strange it was.

He starts off by saying that he had a very strange dream, and it was beyond the comprehension of man to understand what it meant. Any man is an ass who tried to explain this dream. He said that he thought he was something, but then stopped himself and said that no man could tell what he was in the dream. He thought he was something, and thought he had something, but he stopped himself and said that any man who tries to explain the things in the dream is a fool. He finished his speech by saying that eyes couldn’t hear, ears couldn’t see, hands couldn’t taste, tongues couldn’t think, and hearts couldn’t report what his dream meant. He was basically saying that it was impossible to understand what his dream meant.

I agree with what he said about men being unable to understand one person’s dream, because that dream is that person’s dream alone. He is also trying to explain dreams. They are strange and insubstantial, and when we try to explain them, they make less and less sense to others. In addition, they make less and less sense to the person who had the dream as it fades from their mind. However, someone who has a dream is the one person that understands more than others because he or she was the only one to experience directly.

Shakespeare included this speech because he was trying to explain how it is unwise to dwell on or try to explain dreams. They are meant to be mysteries within the subconscious and are also just the subconscious wandering through our memories and imaginations while we sleep.

• January 16th, 2012 at 2:52 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

I agree about how you said that dreams make less and less sense the more you share it and the longer you hold on to it. I think Shakespeare showed this concept to illustrate how Bottom shouldn’t dwell on dreams.

6. January 12th, 2012 at 8:11 pm      Reply alwynp2 Says:

After Bottom was turned back to his normal self by the herb and he wakes up, he regards everything that happened to him as a weird dream. This is his short speech paraphrased:

I had the most messed up dream. Yet, I don’t know how to explain what it was. If I tried, I would have probably make an ass out of myself. That is very peculiar. I thought that I was an ass! No man could possibly try and explain my dream. It is that preposterous! Whoever who wanted to decipher my dream would be a fool to try! No person is capable of understanding my dream.
    I agree with Bottom’s statements. Have you ever had a dream that is so crazy that you can’t really explain it? I know I have! For some reason when other people try to explain their dreams to me, I feel like they are talking in a whole different language or something. Any way, dreams are supposed to be about being mysterious. Not every dream is rational.

7. January 12th, 2012 at 8:15 pm      Reply carak1 Says:

I have had a very rare vision. It was very strange, too confusing to remember what it all was: man is but a ass if he is to try to explain this dream. I thought I was… well… no man can say what I thought I was. I thought I was… I thought I had… but man is but a fool if he tries to explain what I had. Man’s eye cannot hear, his ear cannot see, his hand cannot taste, his tongue cannot touch, nor can his heart tell what my dream was.

Bottom is, in essence, describing a very strange dream. He does not know how to explain that he thought he was an ass and that a fairy (a fairy?) was in love (in love?) with him. I agree with what Bottom is saying, I think. It doesn’t make much sense! If you go to school trying to explain that this had happened to you, umm… I think they would laugh at you. I think Shakespeare is doing this on purpose. He is trying to make us think: is this all a dream? Is life really a dream? Are we actually being controlled by fairies? Are our strange dreams real? This is the original Inception.

• January 13th, 2012 at 11:34 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

I agree on your idea of what Shakespeare’s purpose is. I don’t think we are being controlled by fairies though. :/

8. January 12th, 2012 at 8:32 pm      Reply Autumn Says:

Bottom was very confused after awakening. He had the vague sense that he had been turned into an ass and then back again. He thought it was just a dream but it really was reality. I think that in his heart he knows that it was real but he doesn’t want to believe it because really if he ever told anyone, he would be the laughing stock of the whole town. Bottom is saying:
    I have had a very interesting vision, It was the wierdest thing and too strange and confusing to remember. A man is just an ass if he tries to explain this. I thought I was… well.. I cannot nor can any man say what I thought I was. To explain what I think would be very foolish. The eye of man cannot hear, the ear of man cannot see, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to think, nor his heart to tell, what my dream was.
    Everything seems so confusing and real to Bottom but he can never tell what he believes and dream s or else he will be made fun of.
    I think that what he is saying is real, how much can you really tell everyone?

9. January 12th, 2012 at 8:52 pm      Reply nikital Says:

In Bottom’s speech toward the end of Act IV, scene i, he says (paraphrased):
    I have had a rare vision, a dream that even the wit of man cannot explain. Man, after all, is but an ass if he tries to explain the meaning of this dream. I thought I was…there is no man that can tell what. I thought I was… and I thought I had…but man is but a professional fool, and he will offer to say what I thought I had. The eye of man has not heard, the ear of man has not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to concieve, nor his heart to tell and report what my dream was.
    In this Bottom seems to be sleepily awakening and confusing things, mostly dreams with reality, and then chiding himself for doing so. I believe we are meant to agree with his statements, for the man is but a fool if he will offer to say what Bottom thought he had on his head! Also, it is true, that the eye of man has not heard and the ear of man has not seen, though they say in the verso that the weaver might have been confusing his own language again. All in all, Bottom’s awakening heavily involves dramatic irony and, in this way, is comical for the viewer to watch unfold.

10. January 12th, 2012 at 9:32 pm      Reply sharonm1 Says:

I had the rarest vision. I cannot explain what it is. I would be an ass to try. Only an idiot would try to analyze my dream. A man is unable to understand my dream. Man is a fool to dwell on dreams. The senses of man are not capable of trying to tell what my dream meant.

Through his speech, Bottom is stating that his dream was not one that could be analyzed and you would be an idiot to try and make sense of it. Even though the experience was real, it was so fanciful and made no sense that Bottom could only explain it as a dream. I agree with Bottom because no one can decipher a dream better than the dreamer.

I think that Shakespeare is trying send a message that people shouldn’t dwell on and analyze their dreams. He ascribes it to foolishness when people try to make sense of a dream. Basically what happens in a dream isn’t meant to influence you when you are awake so don’t bother dwelling on them. The speech reminded me of Mercutio, after Romeo told him of his dream and Mercutio told Romeo to pay no attention to dreams because they mean nothing.

• January 12th, 2012 at 10:58 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

I really like how you said no one can decipher a dream better than the dreamer. I think that is totally true because no one else has had the same dream and even if they had, it could mean something different to everyone. Therefore, only the person who dreamed the dream truly knows what it means.

• January 17th, 2012 at 7:28 pm      Reply alwynp2 Says:

That is true! If I had a dream about cars, someone else might have a dream about cats or pets or something that they like.

11. January 12th, 2012 at 9:55 pm      Reply Ben E. Says:

I’ve had a crazy dream. I would be an idiot to explain it. I thought, I thought I had, but I’m just a fool. I thought I was something no one should describe. Man’s eye hasn’t heard, it’s impossible. We are meant to disagree, Bottom was wrong, it wasn’t a dream, but Bottom just didn’t believe it. Shakespeare was trying to explain that dreams are not reality, but the void between the two is always open. Some dreams are real, and some reality is dreams. Even the dreamer can not understand the dream. As Bottom said, he eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream was.” He is right.

12. January 12th, 2012 at 10:56 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

“I have had an unusual dream. This dream was so unusual that no man can explain it. If someone tries to explain it, they will look like an ass. I thought I was one!” That is the first part of Bottom’s speech. He is saying that this dream he had of becoming an ass is so crazy that there is no way possible that it could have been real. I think that the last sentence is the most important one. He says, “The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report what my dream was.” Here, he is saying that his dream was about as real as an eye being able to hear things and an ear being able to see things. I thought that this sentence was really important because this is where he is saying that the dream was absolutely impossible to be real which makes you wonder if it was real at all. I think that we are meant to disagree with Bottom’s statement that this was not real. Even though it could have very well been a dream, I don’t think it was. I think the message that Shakespeare was trying send was that there isn’t really a line between dreaming and reality. Who’s to say that we are all not dreaming right now and when we think we are dreaming we are actually awake?

• January 16th, 2012 at 8:19 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

I agree about the last line of his speech being very important. I think by adding that line, Shakespeare was also trying to show just how confused and dazed Bottom was when he woke up.

13. January 12th, 2012 at 11:03 pm      Reply Anton Says:

Paraphrased, Bottom says:
    I have had a most odd, and uncommon vision. I have had a dream, so confusing that no man is smart enough to understand it. Man is stupid if they try to. I thought I was… no man can know what. I thought I was… I thought I had… man is a professional fool if he can guess what I thought I had. No man can find out/ know what my dream was.

We probably are supposed to agree with his statements. Unknowingly bottom has been a character of wisdom, and all he has said before has been true. Shakespeare appears to use Bottom as the character through which to get his messages out. By that logic, we are meant to take this as the truth. What he is saying is that dreams are strange. Although I do not agree that nothing can be learned through them, they can be very nonsensical. He does say that dreams are not reliable. He also says that it is pointless to guess at another’s dream, Because only they have experienced it. No man but the dreamer, can experience the dream. (This is the only example today that does not seem similar to Inception in my mind. Frankly, it seems quite opposite.

14. January 13th, 2012 at 12:12 am      Reply anthonym9 Says:

I have had the oddest dream. I had a dream so confusing, a smart man wouldn’t understand it. A man is stupid if he even talks about it. I thought I was-no man knows what. I thought I was and I thought I had-man is a fool if he tried to say what I was. No man can tell what my dream was.

We should agree with bottom because Bottom has been smart through his ignorance. He is saying that dreams are very strange and that they are not known much about. I agree with Bottom. Dreams are the one thing in life that confuse me. Bottom is also saying that dreams won’t come true and have nothing to do with life itself, so why should anyone worry about them? Bottom also makes sense here because he is saying dreams aren’t important.

15. January 13th, 2012 at 9:11 am      Reply elizabethp4 Says:

Bottom woke up from his sleep, and he has a hazy recollection of what he believes to be ‘dreams’. What happened that night, his head turning into a donkey’s, and Titania’s love for him, seemed to merely be part of a midsummer night’s dream.

I had a very interesting vision. I’ve had a dream, past the capabilities of man to say what it was: men are but asses, stupid, if they go around trying to understand this dream. I thought I was – no man would be able to say what. I thought I was – I thought I had – but men are just idiots, if he tries to say what I thought I had. Men have never had the capabilities to understand what my dream was.

Bottom was saying that his dream was so unrealistic, the mere possibility of it was astounding. He’s also saying that dreams don’t make sense in the real world, that if one tries to understand it and say what it is, he’ll end up looking like a fool. I agree with Bottom, because usually when I remember my dreams, they’re amazing but make absolutely no sense in the real world. I believe Shakespeare was trying to say that dreams are just figments of our imagination which probably won’t make sense.

• January 14th, 2012 at 5:00 pm      Reply briannab3 Says:

I agree that when you wake up from a dream its wonderful but doesn’t make any sense.

• January 15th, 2012 at 12:12 am      Reply innag2 Says:

I agree! I didn’t think of it that way, of how all dreams don’t make sense. I thought it was just a play on how he doesn’t want to admit his dream, because it was so strange. I think that in some cases, that happens to people nowadays, too. You might at first remember your dream, but when you start thinking about it, it’s so absurd that you dismiss it and forget about it, and truthfully, dreams are REALLY absurd sometimes!

16. January 13th, 2012 at 11:33 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

This is Bottoms speech paraphrased;

I had a very strange dream. If I were to explain my dream, I was a donkey. I thought I was-no you wouldn’t understand. I thought, actually no who knows what I thought. I’m thinking like a fool if I thought I was an ass- Oh never mind! A man is a fool if he knows what I dreamed. No one else has seen, felt, heard or used any of my senses to have this dream. You wouldn’t understand because you didn’t have it.

This is a part of Bottoms speech right when he wakes up and Puck reverses the spell that was on him. Bottom says that he thought he had a dream where he was an ass and he was trying to explain it but he couldn’t because then he said that since he was the one who had the dream no one else would understand. I think Shakespeare is trying to say that sometimes reality can just seem like a crazy dream. Also I think we are supposed to tell the difference between a dream and reality. Sometimes events can be so shocking that we mistake them for a dream or we have a really realistic dream that seems like a reality but it’s a false hope.

I think we are supposed to agree with Bottoms statements. Only we can truly understand our dreams because we went through. Every dream has a different meaning and perspective to a person. Therefore no one else can ever truly understand a dream. I think Shakespeare is trying to teach his audiences to take a moment and tell decide whether we are in reality or a dream.

17. January 14th, 2012 at 4:58 pm      Reply briannab3 Says:

What a weird dream I had.—You can’t even describe such a weird dream. You’d be an ass if you even tried to explain it. I thought I was—no, nobody can even describe what I was. I thought I was, I thought I had—but a person would be an fool to try to say what I thought I had. No eye has ever heard, no ear has ever seen, no hand has tasted, or tongue felt, or heart described what my dream was like.

Bottom into an ass, being loved by a fairy queen and then given a potion to make him think it was all a dream has him very confused and befuddled. He tries to explain it, well not really, and just says that no man would ever believe him or understand his dream. He doesn’t seem to believe any of his adventures in the fairy land had happened. I agree with Bottom because when someone wakes up from dream, it usually makes no sense whatsoever! You can be anywhere, at anytime wiht anyone and be doing anything! It seems magical and unreal. When you wake up it also hazy and not very clear and I think this is how Bottom feels. He has some memory of being a donkey, but believes it was all just a crazy dream. I agree with previous posts that Shakespeare is making us question the differences in dreams and in reality.

18. January 14th, 2012 at 5:20 pm      Reply bridgetd1 Says:

When Bottom wakes up he is very confused. He says that he has had a very strange dream and he will never be able to understand or explain it. Bottom believes that anyone who tries to interpret the dream would be a fool and that humans as a whole are very ignorant. I think that we are meant to agree with Bottom. Most humans find it hard to look past the things that they know to be true, such as that fairies do not exist. Dreams are really strange. They play with what we think is true and make us believe that the “impossible” is possible. It is not until we wake up that we think that the dream is completely irrational. I think that Shakespeare was using Bottom to express this idea and make us question if things that happen in our dreams can come true.

19. January 14th, 2012 at 9:44 pm      Reply anjuv1 Says:

In this part of the A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Bottom just got his normal head back, instead of a donkey’s head. This is what he says after waking up from a “dream” where he has a donkey’s head. This is Bottom’s speech paraphrased:
    I have had the strangest dream. I had a dream that no one could explain. Man is but a donkey if he goes on to talk about this dream. I thought I was- no man could explain what I have dreamed. I thought I was- I thought I had, – but man is but a fool, if he would continue on with what I thought I had. The senses of men would not be able to decipher what the dream I had meant.

During his speech, Bottom is talking about his dream where he was turned into a donkey. He was trying to state what his dream was like, but is not able to. It was too confusing and on one could not understand since he was the one who had the dream. I think we are meant to agree with Bottom’s speech. He was saying how people can’t understand one another’s dreams. People interpret dreams in different ways, so one dream can mean something to one person and not mean anything to another. I think Shakespeare is trying to show the readers how reality and dreaming are blurred together. How can a person tell the difference between dreaming and reality?

My question is, how can someone tell if they are living in a dream now?

• January 16th, 2012 at 12:22 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

Easy. I do my blog post now, and then at school tomorrow I see if I actually did the blog post or if I did it in my dream.

What if that school day was a dream O_O and to find out if I actually was at school and not in a dream, I can go home and see if homework is posted on the website for that day.

What if that entire experience is a dream and I have to wait for tomorrow and start the experience again?

How long do dreams last? O.o

• January 16th, 2012 at 4:16 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

Dreams usually last from a range of 5 – 45 minutes, according to Google.

• January 16th, 2012 at 9:05 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

That doesn’t make sense though, because most of my dreams last for the entire time I’m asleep. That may be inaccurate because the time before and after, when you’re asleep and not dreaming, you aren’t supposed to feel or experience.

20. January 15th, 2012 at 12:10 am      Reply innag2 Says:

I have had a rare vision. I had a strange dream, so strange that a man can’t even say what the dream was about. A man is as stupid as a donkey if he tries to explain this dream. I thought I was- but no man can tell me what I was, it was that strange. I thought I was- I thought I had- but man is an idiot if he tries to tell me what I had, for it was so absurd. The eyes of any man have not heard, the ears of any man have not seen, man’s hand cannot taste, his tongue dream, his heart tell him what my dream was about. (He’s stupid, it’s a play on words and his stupidity. Get it? xD)

We are meant to disagree with Bottom’s statements. (Well, obviously! They don’t make sense!) Bottom mixes up his senses, and what you do with body parts, because you see with your eyes, and not your ears, and your hands don’t taste, your tongue does. Shakespeare plays on words here, seeing if the reader understands and pays attention, but also playing up the fact that Bottom is an uneducated peasant who isn’t very bright. I think that Shakespeare is actually trying to make the reader or audience member laugh, because it is funny, but also to go to school, and be educated, because without education, you might end up like Bottom, and while we all laugh at Bottom, we again laugh AT him and not WITH him. No one wants to be the village idiot, and that’s what Bottom is. Shakespeare is trying to show that if you are educated, you can move up in society, and be in greater places than Bottom is or ever will be.

• January 16th, 2012 at 12:18 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

No, I think Bottom does that on purpose. Do you really think he is THAT uneducated? >:O Do you not agree that it is basically what happens in a dream? A dream may be so confusing that you are tasting with hands, speaking with the heart, seeing with your ears, hearing with your eyes…

This is the same absurdity that goes on in dreams.

And stop being mean to Bottom. Although he may be foolish sometimes, he is not stupid and not a village idiot. In fact, he probably knows more about human nature than anyone else in the play.

21. January 15th, 2012 at 12:23 pm      Reply benjaminf Says:

Bottom wakes up after his crazy night and thinks that last night was a dream because he was turned into an ass and then back to a human again, all while a fairy queen had been in love with him. When he wakes up, he says this:
    I have had an unlikely vision; I have had a dream past the imagination of a man.
    To say what this dream was; I was turned into an ass and I would be crazy to continue to describe this dream.
    I thought I was-no man can tell what, I thought I was and I thought I had-but man would be silly to try to describe what was going on in my dream.
    No one has ever heard, seen, felt, or tasted what my dream has been.
    I think we are supposed to agree with what Bottom said because if anyone woke up after a night like that, spent with mystical fairies would have thought it was a dream too. I think Shakespeare is trying to put the idea in the head of the audience that dreams and reality are closer than they might seem to be.

22. January 15th, 2012 at 2:37 pm      Reply amandaf2 Says:

Bottom says his speech after he wakes up. He is very confused about the “dream” that he had. He thinks that his turning into a donkey was a dream. His speech is a form of dramatic irony because we know he was turned into a donkey by the fairies. However, in a way we are meant to agree with Bottom. He says:

I have had a strange and unreal vision, I had a dream more unreal than anything that man can come up with.
    This dream was so crazy, and I need not say anything more than that I became an ass-head.
    No body can understand how strange that my dream was.

I think that Shakespeare was trying to make us think about our dreams. He is trying to give us a message about how dreams and reality can seem very alike. I think that we are meant to agree with Bottom because when we wake up from a strange dream we think that it is unreal. Bottom felt the same way after he woke up.

23. January 16th, 2012 at 12:10 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

After Bottom wakes up he gives a little speech of his “dream” last night. Part of it is:

I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was–there is no man can tell what. Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is but a patched fool, if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream was.

What Bottom is saying is that he had a dream that is so crazy it is hard for a man to say what it actually was. He also says that a man is an ass (literally an ass) if he tries to explain what happens in a dream. He says he would be a fool to explain what he had seen in his dream, and that you cannot taste, conceive, or report what happens in a dream.

I agree with Bottom’s thoughts on dreams. Whenever I wake up from a dream, I try to explain to myself what happens, and I only remember things that make no sense and would feel foolish if I tried to explain them. Even this morning when I was in the midst of dreaming, I had a dream where I was trying to find the average of 3 test scores. After adding the three numbers together-one of them I remember as a 66- I got the number 15.5 (that would be horrible for the SUM of 3 test scores). So in my amazing dream I divided the number 3 into 15.5 and I woke up saying 51. See how foolish that was? I feel like a Bottom. Although I could report some parts of the dream, Bottom is correct that it is foolish to try to explain dreams and they are usually not clearly explainable.

24. January 16th, 2012 at 2:25 pm      Reply sabrinak1 Says:

Bottom was very confused after he awoke after midsummer night. He had a dream that he had been turned into an ass and then turned back again. He doesn’t want to tell anyone because he is afraid that he will get laughed at and made fun of. Bottom explains his dream:
    I have had a very strange dream; it was so weird and way too confusing to remember all of it. I will seem like an ass if I try to explain it. I thought I was…well, no one can believe what I thought I was. It would be stupid to tell people what I thought I was. A man’s eye can’t hear, see, taste, his tongue can’t think, and his heart can’t tell, what my very confusing dream was.
    Bottom is afraid of getting made fun of, for he isn’t even really sure what happened himself. He is confused and a little scared and probably thinks he’s a bit crazy for thinking he was turned into an ass by a mischievous fairy in the woods. Who would believe him anyway?

• January 17th, 2012 at 11:04 pm      Reply alwynp2 Says:

I would probably be scared of telling MY friends my dreams were like. Different people dream about different things so one’s dream might seem weird to another.

25. January 16th, 2012 at 2:48 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

Bottom gave a speech after experiencing many strange events. He took these events and believed them to be dreams. Paraphrased, he said:

I have had a strange vision. I have had a dream that no man can explain. I would seem like an ass if I tried to explain it. I thought I was- no man can tell. I thought I was,- and I thought I had, – a man would be a fool if he tried to interpret what had happened to me. No senses could figure out what my dream was.

I believe that Bottom was right about how men cannot accurately see another man’s dream. A dream is meant for one person, and it may have a special impact to that person. Also, if this chain of events had happened to me, I would probably have thought of it as a dream. Nobody would believe me if it was true and the events were very strange, like events in dreams. Shakespeare used Bottom to make us question dreams.

26. January 16th, 2012 at 4:13 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

This is how I paraphrased Bottom’s speech:

Tell me when my cue comes around and I shall say my line. My next cue is “Most Fair Pyramus”. Peter Quince? Flute? Snout? Starveling? Where have they all gone? Did they run away? Oh God, they all left me sleeping here. I had such a strange dream. I can’t even describe it. I would be an ass if I tried to explain this weird dream! Oh I thought I was – I can’t even say. I thought I had a – no it’s too strange to describe. No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no hand has touched, no tongue has tasted, or no heart can ever experience the dream that I had. I shall get Peter Quince to write this dream as a ballad.

In Bottom’s speech, he seems to be very confused about his dream. He dreamed that he had the head of an ass and was sleeping with a fairy. That is a pretty weird dream. But now he is changed back to a head of a man. This whole “dream” has confused him. I think he is trying to figure out if it is real and if it mean something or not.

I do agree with Bottom. Dreams are strange. I think that the person who dreams the dream only knows what their dream is about because the person has only experienced it. Did I confuse you? The dreamer only knows what the dream is about because they have dreamed it. Still confused? No one understands a dream better than the dreamer. Get it? 

I think Shakespeare included this dream because he wanted to inform the readers that dwelling on dreams are not a good thing to do. You should also keep the dream to yourself. No one would really understand your dream. I believe dreams are mysteries and they leave us wondering.

• January 16th, 2012 at 4:14 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

That box in my third paragraph is supposed to be a smiley face. I’m using the new Microsoft Word and the new one changes the smiley face automatically and it doesn’t show up here…

27. January 16th, 2012 at 4:27 pm      Reply johnw2 Says:

In Bottom’s speech he rambles on about his “dream” that he had. In this speech he tells about how he finds what happened so strange that he feels no man could conceive what he felt. He also seemed confused because he messed up the various functions that different body parts do. I feel that we are supposed to agree with Bottom. We are supposed with him that dreams are indescribable and random events that keep the brain occupied when it as rest. To Bottom what happened was like a strange dream that makes no sense at all when you wake up, but when you are asleep it seems completely normal. These thoughts to Bottom are simply that, thoughts. To him it has no meaning other than the fact that it is an interesting dream. I feel that Shakespeare is telling us that we should look back at our dreams and try and see if the mean anything, or if they are simply a compilation of all the things on your mind.

28. January 16th, 2012 at 4:54 pm      Reply michaelt10 Says:

I just had the strangest dream, on most men would not say happened. If they do this, they are an ass. I thought I was an ass. I thought I was, but I and men is just fools. Especially to admit a dream like this. Man cannot understand what my dream was.

It almost seemed like Bottom was calling the race of men asses. Like his dream was a literal sense of a figurative statement. I am disagreeing, as everyone else should be. To him, it was just a dream reflecting life. We, however, knew that Puck turned him into an ass. This is one of those types of ironies when the audience knows something that the character doesn’t.

29. January 16th, 2012 at 8:12 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

Bottom was extremely confused when he woke up from his “dream”.

I have had a very rare vision. I have had a dream, past the judgement of man to say whether it was a dream. My dream was so indescribable, I would be an ass to try to explain it. I thought I was- no man can describe what. I thought I was- I thought I had,- but man is a fool to try to explain what I thought I had. No man’s eye has heard, no man’s ear has seen, no man’s hand has been able to taste, or tongue to feel, or heart to describe what my dream was like.

Bottom’s head was turned into that of an ass, and the fairy queen fell in love with him. He was then given a potion to make the previous events seem like they were a dream. He tries to describe his dream in this speech then stops himself each time he begins, by saying just how indescribable it was. I agree with Bottom because when someone wakes up from a dream, they can be utterly confused and puzzled by what they had thought was so real, but seemed so preposterous. Dreams can seem so vivid, but when the dreamer wakes up, everything can seem so hazy and vague. I agree with previous posts that this scene is supposed to make the audience question reality versus dreams.

30. January 16th, 2012 at 9:02 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

Bottom was very perplexed by his vivid, but weird dream. He dreamed that he was an ass, or donkey. He also stated that only a fool or idiot would attempt to make a meaning of it. Bottom’s “dream” happened was because he was transformed into an ass and Titania fell in love with him as a result of the magical nectar. Then a potion was given to him and it made him think afterwards that what had just occurred was nothing but a Midsummer Night’s Dream. Bottom seems very pitiful and lost as he describes his irrational dream. Shakespeare uses Bottom as a person to give the audience a thought to how easy one can be manipulated. He gets turned into a donkey, is loved by the fairy queen, and is forced a potion all in this short amount of time. Bottom seemed normal before, but now he is completely different as a result of Puck’s transforming of him. Bottom’s feelings are palpable to me, I have also experienced dreams where none of it made sense, but while I was living it, I believed it was actually happening.

31. January 16th, 2012 at 9:36 pm      Reply ashleys2 Says:

I just had the weirdest dream. It was so weird, I can’t even describer it without sounding crazy. I almost thought I was a- no never mind if I told you I would sound like I belong in a mental hospital. I thought I had- a person who tried to explain this dream would sound silly. No eye had ever heard, no hand has tasted, no tongue has felt, or heart described what my dream was like. I should like to have Peter Quince write it down. It will be a ballad, titled “Bottom’s Dream”, because it has no bottom. And I will sing it during the play before the duke, or maybe I should sing it at her death.

This speech made by Bottom at the end of Act 4, scene 1 suggests that he thought that his becoming a donkey and making the fairy queen Titania fall in love with him was all a dream, when it actually did happen. Shakespeare is trying to make the audience think about what is real and what isn’t. He is also trying to show that Bottom is contradicting himself by saying that his dream is beyond understanding, but that it is so important that it should be made into a song. Also, it is an example of comic relief when Bottom confuses his body parts, saying that his eyes haven’t heard and his hands have never tasted a dream like this one.

32. January 16th, 2012 at 10:28 pm      Reply carlya1 Says:

When Bottom woke up from his “dream”, he was very confused. In his speech he is saying that he had a strange dream, a dream no one can explain. He had the feeling that he was turned into an ass and back to a human again. Bottom has a hinting suspicion that his “dream” was actually a reality. A man who tries to explain this would seem like an ass. There is no part of my body that would be able to explain my dream.

Bottom can’t tell the difference between dreams and his reality. He also can’t talk to anyone about it because they will make fun of him. I agree with Bottom that after waking up fro a dream, you re confused and question if it was real or not. I can relate to what he is saying about not bring able to tell people, even your friends, some things because of fear.

33. January 19th, 2012 at 8:13 pm      Reply tylerf2 Says:

When Botton first woke from his “dream”, he was extremely confused on what had happened in his dream. He stated that no man could explain the dream to him or anybody and that anyone who tried would be an ass. He states that in his “dream”, he was turned from a human into an ass and back into a human again. However, he has an overwhelming suspicion that what was in his dream was not a dream at all, but a reality. He truly cannot tell the difference between reality and fantasy at this point. e can’t even talk to anyone about his “dream” because he is afraid of the inevitable fact that they will all make fun of him. I agree with Bottom when he says that after waking from his dream that you become very comfused by what has happened in your dream that you believed to be a reality a minute before.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar