Ms. Quinson's 2011-2012 9H Blog

a place for students to express themselves

Ill met by moonlight, proud Titania.

January9

Describe Oberon and Titania both physically and psychologically. What are they fighting about? Do they remind of any other people or characters you have met either in real life or in books?

As always, make sure you comment on at least one other classmate’s response in this thread as well.

69 Comments to

“Ill met by moonlight, proud Titania.”

1. January 9th, 2012 at 5:40 pm      Reply carlya1 Says:

Oberon and Titania are fighting over the little Indian boy that is in Titania’s trail. The Indian boy is the son of a woman who used to be in Titania’s trail before she died and she asked Titaniabto always keep her on in her trail. They remind me of Capulet and Montague because your not really sure why they are fighting but they are fighting constantly.

I think Oberon and Titania are small fairies. Oberon is a little fairy who can change size to it his needs, such as cheating on Titania with Phillida and Hippolyta. He is an aggressive, persistent and always has to get his way and can never admit he was wrong.

Titania is a trustworthy, caring fairy. He kept her promise to her old friend that she would keep her on in her trail. Th is hat caused tension between her and Oberon. She also is accused of cheating with Theseus after she accused oberon of cheating with some othe women. She doesn’t want to fight but Oberon can’t stop until he gets what he wants, the Indian boy, which he isn’t going to get.

2. January 9th, 2012 at 5:59 pm      Reply lucyl2 Says:

Oberon and Titania are both very majestic. Titania is the beautiful queen of the fairies and Oberon is her strong king. Both are invisible to mortals unless they choose to let one see them. They can also change their size for whatever the purpose (so basically the usual magical skills). The two of them may be married, but they aren’t happy with each other. That’s why they cheat on each other with mortals (hence the size and appearance changes).

Oberon and Titania are fighting over a small Indian child whose mother has just died. Titania thinks that she should keep him because it was the request of his mother that he’d be in her care. Oberon wants the boy simply because he cannot have him. It goes back the human condition that everybody wants what he or she can’t have.

The fairies in general remind me other the Greek gods. Titania and Oberon remind me of Zeus and Hera because of their constant fighting, affairs, and the fact that mortals can only see them if they (the fairies) show themselves.

3. January 9th, 2012 at 6:06 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

Oberon and Titania are to me like an old married couple. They fight, don’t get along, and are sick of each other. They are both also the king and queen of the fairies. Titania seems very clever to me. She appears as a cunning, calm fairy that isn’t lenient. Oberon seems to me as aggressive and someone who would anything even if it was illegal to get what they want. He also just seems to have a softer side of him when he feels sympathetic for Helena.

Oberon and Titania are fighting over an Indian boy whose mom used to be of Titania’s and asked her to keep her son always with her. Titania vows to keep this promise. In the reading we don’t find out why exactly Oberon wants the Indian boy but I think it’s because he can’t have. People or fairies tend to want things they generally can’t have. As Carly said the fighting between Oberon and Titania reminds me Capulet and Montague because they just had inner feelings of envy and hatred to each other. I also think Oberon is secretly jealous of Titania because she has that boy and he doesn’t so he wants him.

I also have a question. Can we refer to fairies gender wise like woman or man?

• January 9th, 2012 at 6:55 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

I agree. Titania seems very clever and cunning.

And what do you mean by your question?

• January 9th, 2012 at 7:11 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

As in like; “Titania is a very cunning woman” can we say that? even though she isn’t …human?

• January 9th, 2012 at 7:15 pm      Reply anjuv1 Says:

Oh, I believe you can. The fairies could grow to human size, so I would think that it would be correct to say woman or man.

• January 9th, 2012 at 7:17 pm      Reply anjuv1 Says:

I agree with when you said you thought that the King and Queen remind you of an old married couple. Nice analogy!

• January 9th, 2012 at 7:53 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

I agree with the comparison you made of the old married couple and Oberon and Titania, and also when you compared Montague and Capulet to the king and queen of the fairies.

• January 9th, 2012 at 9:28 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

I was also thinking about how they are like an old married couple. I was also thinking that they actually could be an old married couple. I’m pretty sure fairies are immortal, so who knows how long Oberon and Titania could’ve been married?

4. January 9th, 2012 at 6:08 pm      Reply coryannm2 Says:

Titania and Oberon are fighting over an Indian boy. Titania is keeping a promise to a fairy that had passed away by taking care of the boy. However, Oberon wants the boy under his command. Titania and Oberon’s personalities remind a little too much of my parents. Not that they fight a lot of course. Titania is reasonable and isn’t one to start fights, she does not easily anger and tends to talk reasonably during an argument rather than yell, just like my mother. While on the other hand Oberon is imposing and extremely unreasonable, rather childish. He wants something merely because he cannot have it; he is immature, which reasonably described my dad. (that’s the cold hard truth)

Titania is a small fairy, but still commands an air of authority. She may change her form to fit her needs as all fairies can. She is reasonable and trustworthy; she will keep a promise. She is not rash, she speaks reasonably during an argument and holds her ground.

Oberon seems to be the exact opposite of Titania; some people may say opposites attract, well they did, but the attraction turned sour. Oberon is immature and wants what he can not have. He has allegedly had relations with other women while married to Titania. He also then claimed that she had done such treachery, though those claims have been called lies formed from jealousy. He also does not like to lose, hence the revenge he had planned on Titania for withholding the boy from him. Though we may see many faults within Oberon we also saw some good. Oberon saw Helena chasing after Demetrius in the forest. He felt sympathy for her and tried to help her. Oberon is a slightly intimidating fairy and also has an air of authority.

5. January 9th, 2012 at 6:21 pm      Reply Jesse Says:

Oberon and Titania are the King and Queen of the fairies and they are at each other’s necks because Oberon wants the little boy whose mother told Titania to look after if she died. Titania Keeps her promise and won’t let Oberon jave the boy to make him a knight.
    Oberon is a handsome man who always wants what he can’t have, such as the little boy. Titania is a beautiful woman who is very assertive (sp?) and trustworthy because she keeps her promise to the boy mother.
    This reminds me of a couple from something only i’m not quite sure what it’s from. It does however remind me of Zues and Hera.

6. January 9th, 2012 at 6:35 pm      Reply alwynp2 Says:

The major dispute between Titania and Oberon is a little Indian
    child. The little Indian child was given to Titania by one of her former member of her trail. Before the woman had died, she asked Titania to take care of her son. Like Carly said, I feel like they are the Montagues and Capulets for the fairies. I also feel they are like gods. Oberon is like Zeus, always cheating on Hera and both of them constantly fighting.
    When I picture fairies, such as Titania and Oberon, I see small, little, people. When I picture Oberon, I see someone who has the ability to change size and/or shape. For his psychological description, I see a number of things. I see childishness. I feel that Oberon is used to getting what he wants and will go to extreme lengths to get what he wants. When Titania gets a Indian boy, HE wants an Indian boy. I see sneakiness and someone who is not loyal and trustworthy. The reason I think this because he cheated on Titania with Phillida AND Hippolyta. I actually feel sorry for Titiania. She KNOWS that Oberon is cheating on her, but she can’t get a divorce. I also see someone who ALWAYS gets what he wants. And right now, he wants the Indian child as his page.
    When I picture Titania, I see someone who is delicate. She always keeps her word to people, even when they die. I also picture someone caring. It is probably hard to take care of a child. She doesn’t give up the child even when Oberon and her got into a fight over something she doesn’t even really own. She is a good friend.

7. January 9th, 2012 at 6:36 pm      Reply michaelt10 Says:

The fighting between Oberon and Titania seems pretty silly. I would describe them as typical pretty fairies with wings. Does it say they have wings? No. I just can’t picture a fairy without wings. Anyway, describing them psychologically is much more important. First of all, this is a crazy fight. First off, they are disrupting the peace be cause of a little Indian boy. Why would a fairy want a little boy? Oberon has to make this whole big plan about the flower that has the power. Titania has a reason, that her old friend told her to take care of him. Oberon, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to have a reason. It is mostly out of greed and not wanting his wife to have him. This brings me to my next point. He is planning to have his wife fall in love with some animal. For a little boy he could care less about. This shows that their relationship means absolutely nothing. Are they even married? They seem not to care about each other at all. What kind of husband and king would make his wife and queen fall in love with something else for a little boy? So the verdict is: Titania-nice and loyal to old friend. Oberon-Strange. Very. 😉

• January 9th, 2012 at 6:52 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

I agree. Oberon and Titania’s fighting seems very silly and child-like. And yeah I can’t picture a fairy without wings either.

• January 9th, 2012 at 10:57 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

This is my basic definition of fairy= magical winged creatures.
      Apparantly this definition is not always true.

Just because your married doesn’t mean you don’t fight. Just maybe not to the extent that the fairies are.

8. January 9th, 2012 at 6:45 pm      Reply benjaminf Says:

Oberon and Titania are husband and wife who are leaders of their respective group of fairies. I imagine them as looking like normal people that dress regally because I don’t think they are very small like my perception of fairies were prior to reading A Midsummer Night’s dream. They are both unfaithful to each other and it doesn’t seem like they love each other, but I can tell that they are because they are so much like each other and for that reason they are perfect for each other. They are both fighting over a little Indian boy, Oberon has no reason to want him but does because his wife does and he wants to outdo her. They remind me of Zeus in Hera in the way that they aren’t faithful but will be married forever nonetheless. The difference between Oberon and Titania and Zeus and Hera is that Titania and Oberon are equal in power even though one would like to think that they are the greater being, but with Zeus and Hera, Zeus was blatantly the one who wore the pants in their marriage and could do what he wanted with only limited scolding. Overall, Oberon and Titania are a married couple that seems like they aren’t getting along but they really do love each other deep, deep down, but neither of them will ever admit it.

• January 9th, 2012 at 8:44 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

I agree, and I like how you brought up that their relationship is made of some love, even though it’s deep down.

9. January 9th, 2012 at 6:50 pm      Reply amandaj3 Says:

Oberon and Titania are King and Queen of the fairies. They are very interesting as characters. They always seem to bicker and argue. I also find them a little bit jealous of each other. When Titania gets something new, Oberon wants it and vice-versa. They are almost like little children. They actually remind me of my two little cousins Katelyn and Aiden, both three years old. When Katelyn gets a new toy to play with, Aiden immediately gets jealous and upset. Oberon and Titania are just like Katelyn and Aiden. Titania gets a little Indian boy and Oberon is jealous. A woman died in Titania trail and her last wish was for Titania to get her beloved son. Oberon has no reason in him wanting the child. He wants what he can’t have. So he tries to get the boy one way or another. He will even if make his own wife look foolish.

Oberon is a fairy and can change into any shape, size, or form. He’s a fairy, so gets whatever he wants. Oberon also uses his shape-shifting ability as an advantage by cheating on his wife. He’s already cheated on his wife with Phillida and Hippolyta. I think he is a very stubborn character. He will do anything to get his own way, even if it makes his wife or anyone else look bad or foolish. Oberon is a very interesting character.

Titania is the Queen of all the fairies. She seems very thoughtful, sly, and clever. She respects the promise that the woman made and kept the Indian boy. She did not give the child away to Oberon, no matter what. Unfortunately, this conflicted with her relationship with her husband. Overall, I look forward to learning more about Titania.

Oberon and Titania can be compared to a few pairs in novels or any other literary pieces. I think Oberon and Titania resemble Zeus and Hera. They are always bickering and fighting for pointless reasons. Zeus is very alike to Oberon. Oberon and Zeus both cheated on their wives and they both get involved in other people’s business. Hera and Titania are alike in some ways but not many. Oberon and Titania can be compared to Capulet and Montague also. They fight for no apparent reason. I really look forward to more Midsummer Night’s Dream! 🙂

10. January 9th, 2012 at 7:03 pm      Reply Ben E. Says:

Oberon and Titania are always bickering. They are fighting over the most pointless thing. They are fighting over one of Titania’s servants. Oberon could have any servant in the world, but no, he wants that specific one. Titania has a good reason to deny it. She knew the boys mother, and as the mother was dying, she promised her to raise the boy. The two seem to have been fighting for ever, but in those times once you are married you stay married. The worse part is that their fighting is hurting the mortals too. According to Titania, because of this fight Oberon caused the farms are flooding and the mortal’s livestock are dying. Of course Titania blames this on Oberon, but Oberon believes she is to blame. The thing I find most funny is how Oberon wants to get his new servant. He wants to use a love potion to make Titania fall in love with the first thing she sees in the forest. Then while she’s in a loving stupor, he’ll take the boy from her. What is the point of this? Yes he gets the boy, but won’t it be an embarrassment to him if his wife falls in love with a wild animal?
    This fighting reminds me of the fighting between the Capulets and the Montagues. I think that the Capulets and the Montagues’ fight is even worse. At least Oberon and Titania know what petty trifle they are fighting about. They are also both similar in the sense of dragging innocents and they’re followers in with them. The City of Verona, Romeo and Juliet, The Fairies, and the mortals in a Midsummer Night’s Dream are some of the people involved involuntarily. Both of the fights have dire causes for those involved in them.

11. January 9th, 2012 at 7:11 pm      Reply anjuv1 Says:

Titania and Oberon are the royals of the fairies. Titania is the Queen and Oberon is the King. They both can grow to human height as well as choosing if they want to be invisible. Oberon seems very stubborn and quite rude, while Titania sounds intelligent and very conniving. The King even though married to Titania, cheats on her with mortal women. Titania uses this to her defense in her conversation with her husband. The King and the Queen are both very unhappy with each other, but still decide to stay with one another. I find this very peculiar.

In this section of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Oberon and Titania are fighting over the possession of a little Indian boy. A women from Titania’s entourage asked the Queen of the fairies to look and keep her son in her care. She wanted him to be in her possession before her unfortunate death. The King, Oberon, wants the Indian boy just because he can’t have him. Like Lucy said, everything always goes back to when you can’t get what you want, you have to have it.

The King and the Queen both remind me of my second cousins, John and Tom. They are both twin brothers that are 6 years old and literally argue about everything. For example, if Tom gets a better Christmas gift than his brother, John goes ballistic. John and Tom both create a lot of problems. They create a much bigger deal then necessary. Their personalities match up with Oberon and Titania.

12. January 9th, 2012 at 7:25 pm      Reply briannab3 Says:

Oberon and Titania are King and Queen of the fairies. Titania has an boy in her court and Oberon is demanding that Titania hand him over. However, Titania made a promise to the boys mother, who was a friend of hers, that she would take care of her son. But Oberon won’t take no for an answer and because they are fighting, the world is being plagued with disasters. The root of the argument is really jealousy. Oberon just wants what he can’t have. This couple has a very bad and unhealthy relationship because they are not faithful to one another. They have both had affairs with the leaders of the human world: Theseus and Hypolyta which signifies they both had promiscuous pasts and probably still do.

Queen Titania is a caring fairy. In my head, she is dainty and feminine and kind to all of her followers. On one hand she seems trustworthy because she kept her promise to the boys mother all these years and raised him. On the other hand, she is not faithful to her husband Oberon, because she has relationships with other men behind his back. Titania would definitely be the fairy I would go to if I needed help, not Oberon. She seems more understanding. She is the one actually paying attention the devastating things happening to the humans because of their quarreling, whereas Oberon seems as if he couldn’t care less.

Oberon is a mean, selfish fairy. He uses trickery to get what he wants. He is not understanding at all. He is very vengeful because Titania will not relinquish the child. Honestly, Oberon himself is acting like a child! He is essentially throwing a temper tantrum because he’s not getting what he wants. He is very aggressive, and on the way to getting what he wants, he will take advantage of being able to make others look stupid… Especially his wife. Oberon is able to change his size and shape, which gives him the upper hand. This couple needs to go to marriage counseling!

13. January 9th, 2012 at 7:33 pm      Reply ashleys2 Says:

Oberon is the king of the fairies and Titania is the queen of the fairies. They are at odds because Oberon wants to have a small Indian servant boy that is employed by Titania. Titania cannot give him to Oberon because she promised her friend a long time ago that she would take care of him as long as she lived. Oberon can have any other Indian servant boy in the world, but he specifically wants that one because it is Titania’s, and therefore he wants what he can’t have. He wants the Indian servant boy to make Titania jealous because even though he love her, they have been fighting a lot lately and making nature act strangely with all of their fighting. Bothering Titania about the servant is the only way Oberon can get Titania’s attention. Oberon and Titania’s relationship reminds me of Zeus and Hera because although they always fight and cheat on each other, they always come back to each other in the end. Oberon and Titania also remind me of the real life couple of Eminem and Kim Matthews because they always fight and accuse each other of cheating, but somehow remain together over the years.

14. January 9th, 2012 at 7:45 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

Oberon and Titania are king and queen of the fairies. They are married, but they fight a lot and have affairs. Both fairies are not seen by humans unless they choose to be. Oberon is very selfish and demanding. He uses trickery to manipulate others into giving him what he wants. Oberon acts very childish and is eager to embarrass his wife. He is able to change his size and shape however he wants. On the other hand, Titania seems kind to her follower fairies, even though she is not to Oberon. I picture her as a dainty little fairy (kind of like tinker bell), but I think she is very confident. Titania seems to be much more understanding than Oberon. I think the two leaders’s followers reflect the personality of their superiors. So by that, Oberon’s followers (Puck) seem very mischievous and Titanias followers (Fairy) seem compassionate, which so far I think matches the king and queen. The couple is fighting over an Indian boy, who is the son of one of Titania’s former followers who died. Oberon demanded Titania to give the Indian boy to him, which she refused to do, causing conflict between the two.

15. January 9th, 2012 at 7:55 pm      Reply tylerf2 Says:

Oberon and Titania are the king and queen of the fairies. THey are in an arguement over Titania’s page, the little Indian boy which Oberon wants so badly. It is unclear why Oberon exactly wants the boy, but I believe he wants him because he can’t have him. It’s like the more he is told he cannot have the boy, the more he wants him. The boy was given to Titania by her dear friend who passed away and she promised her that she would take care of the boy for her. She is not willing to part with him, even for her forced- husband.
    The excessive fighting between these two figures reminds me of a few different characters from other stories that we have read. FOr example, the excessive fighting between these two reminds me of how the Montagues and the Capulets would fight with each other. However, I believe that the fighting of the Capulets and Montagues was more extreme than that of Oberon and Titania. Also, unlike the Capulets and Montagues, they each know what they are fighting about, which is the little Indian boy.

16. January 9th, 2012 at 8:14 pm      Reply bridgetd1 Says:

I imagine Oberon as a strong, immature king and Titania as a beautiful, caring queen. They can both easily get what they want. They are the king and queen first of all and they are magical fairies. But if they grew to the size of a human and looked the same, they might still get what they want. Oberon is strong and can convince people by fearing them or negotiating and Titania is beautiful and has a way with words. But Oberon wants too badly what he cannot have, which is what makes him immature.

Oberon and Titania are fighting over a little Indian boy. His mother died and Titania promised her that she would take care of him. Oberon is jealous and wants the boy for himself. When he asks Titania for him she refuses and this angers Oberon very much. Their feuding is causing many bad things to happen in the world. Sheep are getting sick from the rain and are spreading the disease to other animals. The seasons are getting all out of whack too. The flowers are blooming in the winter and the summer is cold. This argument leads to Titania and Oberon accusing of being in love with humans.

Titania and Oberon remind me of the Montagues and Capulets. They do not really know why they are fighting. Titania and Oberon kind of like siblings too. They love each other but get jealous if one has something the other does not (more Oberon than Titania). And once they point out one flaw in each other they cannot stop.

17. January 9th, 2012 at 8:20 pm      Reply johnk4 Says:

Oberon and Titania and both supposed to be physically and mentally perfect because they are the king and queen of the fairies but here this is not the case. They are fighting over an Indian boy that Titania vowed to protect. Oberon wants the boy for unknown reason. Right now they are throwing nasty comments at each other. Oberon will not understand his wife and has to get the boy. Oberon seems to be very stubborn and scheming. Also Titania is acting out of sorts. She should know better then try to fight him. Titania should just ignore him. Instead Titania blames him for all of the natural disasters that are happening. Titania is usually cool headed and honest. They are acting like politicians. They also fight for reasons I don’t know about. Also there are affairs that are associated with these people.

• January 9th, 2012 at 8:51 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

Oberon is just being annoying and saying he wants the Indian boy even though the only reason the boy has value is because Titania is keeping him from Oberon. Although he may actually have an unknown reason that we just didn’t find out about yet.

18. January 9th, 2012 at 8:20 pm      Reply carak1 Says:

Titania and Oberon always seem to be at odds. I think that most of their fights probably do not have any reason to them. I imagine them to be very magical and physically beautiful, creating love in the first place. I think they must have gotten married on whim, as they both were beautiful (with symmetric faces!) and of the same status, but soon realized they were not compatible, personality-wise. However, they are now bonded for eternity, and they will always be in each other’s bad graces. In the case we find them in, they are fighting over a little Indian boy, whom they both want. Titania has an actual reason; he was the son of one her favorite maidservants. Oberon just wants the boy because Titania has him and he can’t let her win. All their fights are trivial things like this, one of them can’t get over something trivial. They are exactly like Zeus and Hera. I also think they are similar to Capulet and Montague (someone else said this and I thought it was a great idea). Oberon and Titania are similar to fighting siblings too, because they have no reason fight, except that they irritate each other.

19. January 9th, 2012 at 8:38 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

Oberon and Titania are fighting over a little Indian boy. Titania has the boy but Oberon is jealous and wants him. This causes them to fight. They fight all the time and when they fight, it causes chaos. Oberon and Titania are therefore like the Capulets and the Montagues. They both fight over every little thing and it causes things to go crazy whether its people killing each other out in the streets or making the seasons all messed up. They are always trying to be better than the other and when they fail at that, they get angry and start a fight.

Oberon is king of the fairies. I think that he is very strong and handsome and he can grow to be small like a fairy or big like a human. He can also choose whether or not he wants to be invisible. I think that he is a lot like Zeus in a way because he is always seducing women. Also, I think that he acts arrogant like he can get whatever he wants but he is really a little insecure and that’s why he always wants what Titania has and if he doesn’t get it he gets mad and jealous.

Titania is queen of the fairies. I think she is very pretty and like Oberon, she can grow to be whatever size she wants to be and can choose whether or not she wants to be seen. She is very caring and she is loyal. She was very loyal to the little boys mother. When she died, she asked Titania to raise him and she did. The only one I can imagine Titania not being caring and loyal to is Oberon because she was having affairs behind his back. Other than him, she seems like she would be very kind to anyone that is with her.

20. January 9th, 2012 at 8:42 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

Oberon and Titania were both arguing over who would take possession of a little Indian boy. They were king and queen of the fairies. I imagine them to look beautiful, as they are magical. Even though they may seem physically perfect, they are not perfect mentally. First of all, as rulers, they should be thinking about more important things, and they shouldn’t fight as much as they do now. They have been arguing over a little Indian boy. I think Titania has more of a right over the Indian boy because she knew the mother of the boy, who was her servant. Oberon just wanted the boy because he couldn’t have it. They were both making nasty comments about each other as well. This behavior is not acceptable for rulers. As said before in class and earlier in the blog, Oberon and Titania compare to the Greek gods and the Capulets and Montagues. I believe that they are most like the Greek gods because they were both imperfect rulers. Like I said before, they both fight, but I believe Titania has more of a right to the Indian boy because she knew his deceased mother, and she told her to take care of him. Oberon has no right to him, he just wants him. Oberon and Titania fight and provoke each other.

21. January 9th, 2012 at 8:46 pm      Reply johnw2 Says:

In act two scene one, we are introduced to two very important new characters. They are Oberon the king of the fairies and Titania the queen of the fairies. Now thought the two are married Oberon sees other women while he is married to Titania, in a relationship that is similar to Hera and Zeus. Though the mostly have a stable relationship, they are in a major fight over a young Indian boy. Oberon wants to take the boy and make him a knight; however Titania will not let him do that. She wants to keep the boy and have him in her train, because that was the promise that she had with his mother. I feel that Oberon’s plan to make Demetrius fall in love with Helena is a good one but very flawed. First off he gave Puck a very poor description of Demetrius making it easy for Puck to mess up. Also what if Helena is not the first thing that Demetrius sees, meaning he could fall in love with a candle or his reflection. These huge flaws could end up doing much more harm than good. Only time will tell if Oberon and Titania will become once again on friendlier terms, or if his plan for Helena will work out without a horrible mishap in Puck’s part of the job.

22. January 9th, 2012 at 8:49 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

Oberon and Titania are married king and queen of the fairies who will probably be together for the rest of their lives quarreling. They always fight over trivial matters, and cannot divorce due to the time period. In this section of the story, Oberon wants a small Indian boy that Titania has kept as her servant. Oberon has no use for the boy, but wants to have him because it is something Titania won’t let him have. Oberon receives insults and taunts from Titania about his affairs with other women, and he launches some himself as well. The reason Titania is hanging on to the boy is that his deceased mother, who was Titania’s friend, made Titania promise to keep and take good care of the boy. Titania is defending herself and standing up to Oberon’s stubborn nature. Something that this reminds me of is when I really want something that I can’t have, but when I finally get it, I don’t even care about it anymore. This is similar to Oberon’s irrational desire for the little boy. In class, Oberon was seen as Zeus, and Titania as Hera. I think this is a fair comparison, because Zeus is always being unreasonable and Hera stands up to fight for herself. Also, both couples can’t divorce and are subject to eternal fighting over small matters.

23. January 9th, 2012 at 9:17 pm      Reply amandaf2 Says:

Oberon and Titania are the King and Queen of the fairies that live in the woods. They are married, but they are always fighting and getting divorced was not an option during their time period. Since they are not happy together they are constantly cheating on each other with mortals. They are able to date mortals because they can change their size and appearance whenever they want. This reminds me of the Greek Gods. The Greek Gods are constantly dating humans and doing other mischievous things. Titania and Oberon are fighting over an Indian boy. They are fighting over him because his mother just passed away. Titania wants the boy because his mother wanted him to be in her care. Oberon wants the boy only because he cannot have him. This relates back to the human condition which is that we want the things that we cannot have.

24. January 9th, 2012 at 9:23 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

Oberon and Titania are the King and the Queen of the fairies, and they are very interesting characters. They are different in so many ways, but they do share a few similarities. Their primary similarity has to do with the fact that they are both fairies. They both have magical powers, and these powers include the ability to change their size and the ability to be invisible to humans when they don’t want humans to see them. They are extremely different, and their primary difference is that while Titania is the beautiful and majestic Queen of the fairies, Oberon is the strong and powerful King of the fairies. The interesting thing about these two is that although they cheat on each other, argue constantly, and hate each other overall, they still stay together because divorce didn’t exist at the time.

Oberon is stubborn and acts like a child, and he constantly cheats on his wife to anger her. Whenever someone else gets something, he wants it. Titania had the Indian boy, and he wanted the boy merely because she got him and he didn’t. He also has a devious side to him. He plans to get the boy by using a special flower that makes people fall in love with the first thing they see. He was originally planning to use it only on Titania, but he wanted to meddle in the affairs of the four lovers after eavesdropping on Helena and Demetrius.

Titania is clever, thoughtful, and keeps her promises. The reason she had the Indian boy in the first place was because the boy’s mother was in her trail and they were friends. When the mother died after giving the birth to the boy, her final wish was that Titania would take care of her son. She also shows that she has an iron will by the fact that she still hasn’t given the child to Oberon. She says that their argument has ruined many things going on in the world such as drowning the land, killing sheep from the disease known as murrain, and messing up the seasons.

Oberon and Titania remind me of Zeus and Hera. They always bicker and argue constantly, the husbands both cheat on their wives, and the husbands like to get involved in human affairs. As other people have said on the blog, their bickering and arguing can be compared to the Montagues and the Capulets in Romeo and Juliet. They both fight for no good reason.

25. January 9th, 2012 at 9:26 pm      Reply nikital Says:

Oberon and Titania, the king and queen of the fairies, are quite intriguing characters. They, at this point in the book, are quarreling over a little Indian boy whose mother was Titania’s sworn servant and died during childbirth. Oberon seems proud, daring, impulsive and persistant, while Titania appears to be elegant, regal, eloquent, and even steadfast. Both are majestic, powerful creatures, each making their own impression on those around them. Even so, they can be a bit foolish sometimes, falling in love and declaring an enemy just as suddenly as the Greek and Roman gods/goddesses did.
    The line before the pictures of Oberon and Titania (Ill met my moonlight…) reminds me of another quote similar to this one in looks but on the other hand, completely different in meaning. “Well met my moonlight…” is a line from Inheritance of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. Perhaps the author was thinking of Shakespeare when he wrote it. I know well that there are plenty of other references to Shakespeare’s plays out there, so maybe this is one of them.

26. January 9th, 2012 at 9:47 pm      Reply sharonm1 Says:

Oberon and Titania are the king and queen of the fairies. They are invisible to mortals unless they choose to be seen. They can change their size and appearance. Although they are married they are constantly fighting. Because they are not happy they have affairs with other mortals.

Right now they are fighting over a little Indian boy. Before the boy’s mother passed away she asked Titania to take care of her child and make sure he doesn’t leave her care. Oberon wants the boy to use as a henchman and is upset that Titania wouldn’t give him to her. The fact that he couldn’t have the boy made Oberon want him more

Oberon and Titania remind me of Zeus and Hera because although they are married they are unhappy with each other and have affairs with other mortals. They could not get divorced because it was not a part of the time period.

27. January 9th, 2012 at 9:51 pm      Reply sabrinak1 Says:

Oberon and Titania are fighting over a little indian boy that Titania is watching over. The boy’s mother was part of her trail (her posse) and when she died from childbirth, requested that Titania protect and look after him. Oberon does not actually want the boy, only wants what he cannot have. I do not understand why Oberon wants to make Titania so unhappy. He cheats on her with Phillida and Hippolyta, he calls her awful names, and he wants to make her become infatuated with an animal! He’s not a very good husband! They fight over nothing, making them similar to both the Montagues and Capulets, and also Zeus and Hera. They were not able to get divorced so they are forced to live with each other. Even though Oberon is mean to Titania, she also retuurns the favor. She cheats on him too and fights back when he makes snide comments. I just hope the little boy is ok whatever happens!

28. January 9th, 2012 at 9:54 pm      Reply elizabethp4 Says:

Oberon and Titania are the King and Queen of Fairies, and they’re fighting over a very silly thing – the ownership of a little Indian boy. Titania, of course, has the proper rights to him, but Oberon is too stubborn and wants exactly what he can’t have, so, of course, he commands his wife to give the boy to him. Titania’s a fiercely loyal person, but she also has a stubborn streak like her husband. Neither would relent until the other gives in first, so it will probably permanently stay at a stalemate. This reminds me of Zeus and Hera, because both of the royal couples start accusing each other of cheating. Apparently Theseus and Titania, and Oberon and Hippolyta, were in the midst of an affair. Both of the fairies are quick to anger, even though Titania is a bit more peace-loving: she offers that Oberon join her and her posse if he calms down and lets her keep the boy.

Oberon is a very angry fey, and he’s bitterly jealous, as well as pampered and spoiled. He’s used to getting his own way, so when he doesn’t get something that he wants, he’s very upset. Especially if the object of his desires is out of his grasp because of his wife.

They two fighting kind of remind me of me and Inna… Not trying to offend her, but we squabble all the time about the most random things, and the arguments tend to get pretty heated. It also reminds me of two of my friends who are always, always, always fighting, and usually it’s over little things, but once there was this really big argument that just snowballed from nothing and it nearly ruined their friendship. Luckily for everyone, they’re too close of friends to be able to break apart that easily.

I don’t think that the fairies are described physically… All that I really got is that they’re very delicate little things with wings, but Mrs. Quinson said that they could adjust their shape or size. I would imagine them to be very beautiful, since they’re fairies, after all.

• January 9th, 2012 at 10:45 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

I would imagine Oberon and Titania to be good-looking, even though I know that not all fairies are this way.

• January 9th, 2012 at 11:15 pm      Reply Anton Says:

Well, considering that they have the ability to alter their appearance to whatever they chose, they would likely look like whatever their image of a perfect fairy would be.

• January 10th, 2012 at 12:21 am      Reply innag2 Says:

LOL. Yes. It does remind me of you and I, because we honestly fight like cats and dogs over the smallest things. But that’s how we work! I don’t know what we would do if we didn’t fight. It’s just in our personalities. I think that’s how Oberon and Titania are; they fight because they just do. I think that’s why they fell in love and got married in the first place; they’re so similar that they just couldn’t stay away.

29. January 9th, 2012 at 9:59 pm      Reply Autumn Says:

Today we were introduced to Oberon and Titania, a fairy couple who seem to be constantly quarreling. Their most recent fight is about a little Indian boy whose mother used to be servant to Titania. Titania makes a good argument, saying that it his late mother’s wish that he remain under Titania. Oberon is very persistent and wishes to gain the control over the boy.
    Titania seems elegant and independent and also a symbol of power. I think it is also fitting that she is a beautiful fairy and looked up to by others. She is strong willed and fights for what is rightfully hers instead of giving up and saying “What’s the point?”. Titania stands by her opinion.
    Oberon takes pride in himself but almost arrogantly. He is dutiful and strong and thinks everything is his right. He is admired by many so I infer that he is charismatic. Oberon will not take no for an answer.
    Their fighting reminds me of the Capulets and Montagues, both very headstrong and unwilling to back down. Many also compared them to the Greek gods and goddesses because they are supposed to be perfect rulers but are actually very flawed. Their constant bickering makes you wonder why they got married in the first place.

30. January 9th, 2012 at 10:15 pm      Reply anthonym9 Says:

Oberon and Titania have a terrible relationship. They are always fighting about who had an affair with who and especially a little Indian boy who’s mother was Titania’s servant. The mother gave the kid to Titania and said to never give him away, so Titania tries to keep her promise. Oberon was persistent in telling Titania to give him the boy, but Titania is determined to keep her promise. This argument shows how stubborn Oberon is because he could have any other Indian boy, but he always wants what he can’t have. No matter what Oberon does, Titania will never give up the boy.
    Titania says their relationship is terrible because of this boy and jealousy. Titania says that all their fighting has created flooding, snow in the summer, warty in the winter and other crazy events on earth.
    These actions show how great of a fairy Titania is. She is strong, determined and knowledgable. This also shows how determined, but jealous and foolish Oberon is.

• January 9th, 2012 at 10:17 pm      Reply anthonym9 Says:

When I said warty, that was the spell check. I meant warmth.

• January 9th, 2012 at 10:51 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

lol. Spell check 😛

Also, I am not quite sure “how great of a fairy Titania is”. You may be able to argue that she is a bit better than Oberon… Titania has many faults, just like any other person.

31. January 9th, 2012 at 10:40 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

Oberon and Titania are two fairies who are married to each other. Oberon is the king and Titania is the queen. I did not find anything to describe their physical appearances, but since they are fairies they probably would be supernatural in appearance. Psychologically they fairies well educated and wise with words. That is why they speak in the most beautiful poetry out of everyone in the play.

The two fairies are fighting over a small Indian boy under the care of Titania. Oberon wants the little boy to be his henchman (sounds scary), and Titania is not going to give up the boy. Of course, this makes Oberon really angry because he can’t get what he wants.

The two fighting with each other is common in many stories and people in real life. For example a husband and wife may threaten each other to divorce just because they are mad at each other, but know that neither one of them are going to divorce. In all stories with a protagonist and an antagonist, you will see this bitter, unrelenting, heated conflict occurring between the two. For example Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter. Neither one of them wanted the other person to beat them, whether it was Quidditch or duels. I have read about references above made by other students, including the Montagues + Capulets and Zeus and Hera, and I think these are very nice examples. In the case of Montague v. Capulet, the two households, although very vicious to one another, made up in the end. Perhaps the same will apply to the two quarreling fairies.

32. January 9th, 2012 at 11:12 pm      Reply Anton Says:

Both Oberon and, and Titania are fairies. However, they are not your plain and simple fairies that go around making flowers bloom or whatnot, but they are The King and Queen of the fairies. However, they are not very happy with their marriage. Being that they are mystical beings, they can alter their size and appearance, among other things. Although their marriage was likely not always this way, they are now very jealous of one another and to express their discontent with one another, they constantly go around cheating on each other with mortals
    At this point in the play they are amid a trivial argument that has been brought to such great lengths that the weather is being altered, causing great problems for mortals. This argument is over an Indian boy whose mother before death told Titania to hold onto him. Because he cannot have this Indian boy, Oberon is jealous and wants him even both. Both Oberon and Titania being suborn are in a stalemate. Titania is right to hold onto the boy, as it was his mothers wish. I am curious of the boy’s opinion on the matter.
    Besides Zeus and Hera, I am not reminded of any characters in particular. It is interesting how human like the traits of these mystical beings (the ones that are supposed to be better than humans in every way) are. Although I believe that Oberon is wrong in this argument, from the character chart that we did before beginning this play, it appears that Titania more than enough servants, especially compared to Oberon. For such perfect beings, both have a lot of flaws.

33. January 10th, 2012 at 12:17 am      Reply innag2 Says:

Oberon and Titania are king and queen of the fairies. They themselves are fairies, and I imagine that they are small and can fly and such things as that. Both Oberon and Titania are VERY stubborn. They fight over everything, like… and OLD MARRIED COUPLE. Ever heard that saying? Well, I’m pretty sure that’s a great example of one. Oberon is a bit cruel, and likes to get back at his wife, and get his revenge. Titania is very loyal, and keeps her promises no matter what she has to do to keep them. Oberon and Titania are fighting over a little Indian boy that’s part of Titania’s entourage. Oberon wants to take him to be his page, or squire, but Titania will not give him away because he is the son of a fairy that was her closest friend and lady-in-waiting, who died giving birth to this little boy, and who made Titania promise to look over the boy, no matter what. Titania is loyal to her word, and refuses to give the boy away to Oberon. Also, if she gave the boy away now, it would make her look bad and that would hurt her pride. If Oberon just asked politely for the boy, maybe she would’ve forgotten her loyalty and given the boy away, but now that Oberon wants it so much, and is making her look bad, and screaming and yelling at her, she definitely won’t give the boy to him, because that would just be a sign of giving up, and giving up is considered a weakness, and a queen can’t have any weaknesses! (I say this from what I think is her perspective.) All in all, their squabble is ridiculous to the extremes, and if they would just stop, everything would be much easier for everyone else that is affected by this fight.

• January 10th, 2012 at 12:18 am      Reply innag2 Says:

I forgot to add that Oberon and Titania remind me a lot of Hera and Zeus, what with their ever constant fights and their infidelity.

34. October 4th, 2014 at 5:41 pm      Reply Felicity Says:

Titania and Oberon remind me of Zeus and Hera. They don’t get along and Oberon cheats on Hera, and they both have great power.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar