Ms. Quinson's 2011-2012 9H Blog

a place for students to express themselves

How happy some o’er other some can be!

January5

How happy some o’er other some can be!
Through Athens I am thought as fair as she.
But what of that? Demetrius thinks not so;
He will not know what all but he do know:
And as he errs, doting on Hermia’s eyes,
So I, admiring of his qualities:
Things base and vile, folding no quantity,
Love can transpose to form and dignity:
Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind;
And therefore is wing’d Cupid painted blind:
Nor hath Love’s mind of any judgement taste;
Wings and no eyes figure unheedy haste:
And therefore is Love said to be a child,
Because in choice he is so oft beguiled.
As waggish boys in game themselves forswear,
So the boy Love is perjured every where:
For ere Demetrius look’d on Hermia’s eyne,
He hail’d down oaths that he was only mine;
And when this hail some heat from Hermia felt,
So he dissolved, and showers of oaths did melt.
I will go tell him of fair Hermia’s flight:
Then to the wood will he to-morrow night
Pursue her; and for this intelligence
If I have thanks, it is a dear expense:
But herein mean I to enrich my pain,
To have his sight thither and back again.

Paraphrase Helena’s soliloquy above.  Then explain what this reveals about Helena and her experience with love?  What can we all learn from this?  Compare and/or contrast this to the  lessons we learned about love inRomeo and Juliet.

As always, don’t forget to comment on at least one other response in this thread.

56 Comments to

“How happy some o’er other some can be!”

1. January 5th, 2012 at 5:39 pm      Reply carlya1 Says:

Why can some people be so much happier than others?
    Throughout Athens, people say I am a fair as Hermia.
    So what? Demetrius doesn’t think so and that is all I care about.
    He refuses to admit it. He is being foolish obsessing over Hermia but I am also being equally as foolish for obsessing over him.
    Love can make anything appear beautiful.
    Lovers see with their mind, not eyes.
    Paintings of Cupid portray him as blind for this reason.
    Love also has bad judgment. Cupid has wings and no eyes.
    He is bound for destruction and recklessness.
    That’s why love is shown as a child because it makes bad choices.
    Boys play games by lying, just as Cupid breaks his promises all the time.
    Before Demetrius laid eyes on Hermia, he made promises to me that we would be together forever.
    But once he saw Hermia, he broke all the promises he had made.
    If I tell Demetrius that Hermia is running away, he will follow her.
    He may be so grateful for the information, that it will be worth steering him towards her.
    At least I will see him as he goes and when he returns.

Helena obviously doesn’t have much luck with love. She seems extremely desperate for Demetrius to return her love. If you are really in love with someone, I guess you would do anything to get them to notice you instead of someone else. We learn that she is a desperate, conniving person who is willing to use her knowledge to get him to notice her in even the smallest way. This connects to Romeo and Juliet because Romeo was so desperately in love with Rosaline and she refused to return his love, leaving him devastated and heartbroken.

2. January 5th, 2012 at 5:51 pm      Reply lucyl2 Says:

Some people can be so happy, while others are so sad!
    Throughout Athens others think I’m just as beautiful as she is.
    But does that even matter? Demetrius begs to differ;
    And other opinions do not matter if he disagrees.
    And he is mistaken, lost in Hermia’s beauty.
    Even his worst qualities are beautiful to me.
    Love can change us.
    Love doesn’t look at the beauty on the outside, but the beauty within.
    That is the reason Cupid is always painted bind.
    Neither does love have good judgment.
    Cupid has wings to fly, but his blind eyes cannot see so he is hasty.
    Love is a child; its choices are immature and deceptive.
    Just like boys lie when playing games, including Cupid.
    Demetreus told me he’d be mine
    But his promise was broken when he fell for Hermia.
    I will tell him about Hermia’s plans to leave tomorrow.
    He will chase after her,
    And for this intelligence given to him he will thank me.
    He and Hermia may be together again, but I’ll do anything to have him back.

You can tell from Helena’s soliloquy for jealous she is of Hermia. It’s very understandable. She thought she had “the one” and then because of some other girl that was taken away from her. It seems like she has had bad luck with love before considering that she said that “And therefore is Love said to be a child, /
Because in choice he is so oft beguiled. /As waggish boys in game themselves forswear,” It implies that she’s had trouble with men before if she thinks that they only play games with you. Helena’s situation was worse than Juliet’s in Romeo and Juliet because Helena’s love is not returned. It is somewhat like Romeo’s though, because Demetreus denied her just like Romeo was denied by Rosaline.

• January 5th, 2012 at 6:07 pm      Reply innag2 Says:

I agree! I never thought that she could be so jealous of her closest friend. But then, she goes out and probably ruins Hermia’s life by telling Demetrius. This is just another example of how you should pick your friends carefully, and sometimes, keep a secret from them.

• January 9th, 2012 at 6:54 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

I agree that it seems like she has had bad luck with love. I also like your comparison to how it was like Romeo’s love with Rosaline.

3. January 5th, 2012 at 6:05 pm      Reply innag2 Says:

How happy some can be in comparison to others!
    People in Athens see me just as pretty as she is,
    But why does that matter? Demetrius doesn’t think so.
    He will never really know all that he should know.
    And, as he makes his mistakes, obsessing over Hermia’s eyes,
    I will be obsessing over his good qualities.
    Things like bad behavior and ugliness can seem
    Attractive to someone who is in love.
    Love isn’t through the eyes but through the mind;
    That’s why Cupid is painted as blind.
    And in a lover’s mind, no rational judgment can be made.
    Cupid’s combination of wings and being blind doesn’t work out.
    And that’s why love is like a child
    Because Cupid is often misled with his choices.
    As mischievous boys when playing often lie,
    So is the word ‘Love’ falsely sworn everywhere.
    For, before Demetrius fell in love with Hermia,
    He courted and told me he was in love with me;
    And when he thought he had a chance with Hermia,
    He left, and his oaths and promises were gone.
    I will go, and tell him of how Hermia will leave.
    Then he’ll go to the woods tomorrow night
    To pursue her. And, for this news
    If he thanks me, it’s at a dear cost.
    But I will pay the price,
    If he looks at me once more and tells me his love for me.

This shows that Helena has not been to successful in the love department. The one man she loves, loves another woman, and she is devastated, because he left her for this woman. He tells her he loves her, then finds a prettier girl and goes and woos her. This is an example of how murder happens. :) Just kidding, not actually murder, but this is why girls go out and do a) Crazy things for revenge or b) Never get over the guy, get their hurt broken over and over again, and risk their closest friends and family for this one guy THAT NEVER WILL BE WORTH IT. If he was dumb enough and enough of a jerk to dump you after he told you he loved you, he is an idiot and you should be happy it didn’t get any farther with that jerk. We can learn that sometimes, guys can be jerks, and you should be wary for men that do this. Also, don’t trust some people. Helena might be a good friend, but she’s in love with Demetrius and will do ANYTHING. This is kind of how Romeo got over Rosaline for Juliet. If they were courting, Rosaline would be heartbroken. But they weren’t so it was ok.

4. January 5th, 2012 at 6:30 pm      Reply shianak3 Says:

In Act 1 scene 1 we read about a love quad. This is Helena’s short, heartfelt speech paraphrased.

How happy some are compared to others!
    People in Athens say I’m as beautiful as Hermia
    But why does that matter if Demetrius doesn’t think so?
    He knows well, but doesn’t want to admit
    He’s obsessing over Hermia’s beauty
    As so am I admiring his
    Good and bad, all qualities
    Love can make anything and everything beautiful
    Love looks with the mind not the eyes making it beautiful no matter what
    That is why Cupid is painted blind
    Love does not make good judgements
    Cupid has wings and no eyes therefore he’s quick
    And that is why he is a child
    Because in his choice he is often tricked
    As young silly boys take oath and swear
    So the child love is cheated everywhere
    Before Demetrius pursued for Hermia
    He promised me that he was only mine
    But when Hermia came along
    He left me, and broke his promises
    I will go tell him of Hermia’s plan to elope
    then he will go into the woods tomorrow night
    Following her, and for this information
    If he gives thanks, it is a high cost
    But I will pay for it
    To be able to see him go and come back 

In this speech we can feel her love for Demetrius. She wants him really bad and is jealous of Hermia because she has his heart even when she doesn’t want it. I feel bad for Helena because he used to love her a lot and if Hermia hadn’t come along they might’ve lived together married. I understand her jealousy and her reason for wanting to tell Demetrius of Hermia’s plan but I personally don’t think its worth because the most she may get is a word of thanks but how much can that mean to a person? If Hermia and Helena are friends than I think it doesn’t mean much to Helena because telling Demetrius of the plan is basically backstabbing her. I understand though because as she says in the speech, love is quick, blind, and I think even impulsive.

5. January 5th, 2012 at 6:36 pm      Reply michaelt10 Says:

How can one be so happy and another so sad?
    In Athens, I am just as good looking as her,
    But who cares? Demetrius doesn’t think so.
    He will not know what anyone else knows,
    And there he is, admiring her eyes,
    As I admire him
    Things good and bad, having no difference,
    Because love can change the sight of someone.
    Love should be from the heart, not image
    No wonder he doesn’t like me, cupid is blind after all.
    Love has no taste as well,
    Having wings and no eyes are foreshadowing disaster,
    This must be why love is portrayed as a child, (cupid)
    Because he is so often wrong in choice.
    And boys, they make false promises.
    So cupid shows himself everywhere.
    The moment Demetrius looked at Hermia’s eyes…
    He said I was his only love forever,
    But the second he saw Hermia,
    He and his oaths were gone.
    I should tell him of Hermia’s loving Lysander,
    Then he will follow her tomorrow night,
    He will follow her, and ask for the truth.
    If this works, it may come at a price.
    But I mean to feel better,
    To have him wanting me again.

In this speech, Helena seems to be mad at love. She insults it, and this is probably because of Demetrius breaking up with her. Maybe this isn’t the first time something like this has happened to her, and she has just had enough. In Romeo and Juliet, Romeo had a similar situation. He was upset that Rosaline didn’t love him back. Of course, then he met Juliet. I find it strange how she says she is as good looking as Hermia, but she says love should come from the mind.

• January 5th, 2012 at 6:59 pm      Reply Ben E. Says:

I agree about the part about the mind, I think that she still wants to be beautiful, because quoting you it “should come from the mind”. Should, it doesn’t.

6. January 5th, 2012 at 6:55 pm      Reply sharonm1 Says:

How happy some people can be while others so sad!
    Throughout Athens people think I am as beautiful as Hermia.
    So what? That’s not how Demetrius sees me.
    He does not see me as everyone else does.
    And he is mistaken, loving Hermia.
    I admire all his qualities.
    Love can make anything beautiful
    Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind.
    There is a reason that Cupid is painted blind.
    Love doesn’t have the best judgment
    Because Cupid has wings but is blind,
    He makes hurried judgment
    Love is said to be a child
    Because in his chose his is so often deceived
    Just as mischievous boys in games themselves swear,
    So the boy love is false everywhere.
    So when Demetrius looked into Hermia’s eyes
    He broke the promise that he was only mine
    I will go tell him Hermia’s plan to escape
    Then he will follow her to the woods tomorrow night.
    For this he will be grateful and thank me,
    And he will be in love with me again.

From Helena’s soliloquy the reader can interpret that Helena was in love with Demetrius and was desperate for him to love her back. It is also obvious that Helena was jealous of Hermia because Demetrius loved Hermia instead. This is similar to Romeo and Juliet where in the beginning Romeo was portrayed as heartbroken about Rosaline rejecting him. He was desperate for Rosaline to love him back just as Helena was heartbroken about Demetrius rejecting her and she was eager to win him over.

7. January 5th, 2012 at 6:57 pm      Reply Ben E. Says:

In Helena’s speech, she is showing how upset she is about Demetrius, and also teaching a lesson about love. How happy can some people be while others,(such as me) are unhappy? I am thought of to be just as beautiful as Hermia, but Demetrius doesn’t think so. So why does it matter to me? He doesn’t realize what he doesn’t know. All he does is stare into Hermia’s eyes, and thats all he cares for. But I love him for this. All of his bad qualities count for nothing to me. Love can change these to good qualities. You don’t love by seeing, you love with your mind. That’s why Cupid is blind. Love’s mind has any taste of judgement. Love is said to be a child, because in it’s decisions it always decides the same. Just like boys in a game. Love is lying everywhere. As soon Demetrius saw Hermia. He stopped loving me, and when he felt something back, our love dissolved and his oaths dissolved with it. I will tell him of Hermia’s plan. He will pursue her and thank me. It is the price to pay for my pain to weaken, and to have him turn towards me again. Helena seems to me to be a lot like Romeo, not only in the sense of there love, but in the sense of that they both understand love, but can not achieve it themselves. Another similarity is the impulsiveness of Demetrius and Romeo with who they love. They both are like what we today would call a player. Romeo’s love though is a fickle thing, his emotions change, he never got into a serious relationship, but Demetrius had exchanged vows with Helena, and left her, and I don’t think that it is the first time he’s done it. I wouldn’t say that he is evil, but he definitely isn’t the good guy in the story.

• January 5th, 2012 at 8:00 pm      Reply johnk4 Says:

I think Romeo could only describe love. He could not tell what was a crush and what was true love. Romeo may have just had a crush on Juliet.

8. January 5th, 2012 at 7:13 pm      Reply coryannm2 Says:

How happy they are!
    I am considered just as beautiful as she by the other Athenians.
    But does that matter? Demetrius does not share the same opinion;
    He does not see what everyone else sees;
    as he sits staring at her eyes,
    as I admire him:
    bad qualities are transformed by love into good qualities;
    love does not care for beauty, but for the soul;
    and that love is blind, love hath bad judgement
    Eros makes bad decisions in haste and impulsiveness:
    therefore Love must be a child ,if it is to be so impulsive,
    Love is so often mislead and deceitful.
    Boys swear in the game of love, yet the love is false.
    Here Demetrius looks on Hermia even after he swore oaths that he was only mine
    and as he swears Love to Hermia,
    all of the oaths he swore to me are hence gone.
    I shall tell him of Hermia’s flight:
    Then in the woods he shall go,
    to pursue fair Hermia; and thanks he shall give to me,
    though it shall only worsen my pain at betraying Hermia,
    yet it shall be worth it to have his gaze one more time.

Through Helena’s soliloquy she expresses her views on love. Her views are similar to Miss Havisham’s views on love, they are twisted, because she had been betrayed like Miss Havisham. Love is impulsive, which is something we have learned through reading Romeo and Juliet. They met each other and acted rather impulsively, they got married a day after they met; they probably did not even know each others favorite color, and that’s crucial to a marriage. They did not think, acted childish, and both died in the end. Helena describes love as if she had read both Romeo and Juliet and Miss Havisham’s story. Love is full of betrayal, empty oaths and impulsiveness that kills you figuratively and sometimes literally. Though Helena has these views she still wants Demetrius’s love, she is practically addicted to love. She is willing to prevent another couple from true love just to have a glance, a thought, from Demetrius. The betrayal shall make the pain worse, yet the thought of his love is all worth it.

Mid Summer Night’s dreams is similar in several aspects to Romeo and Juliet. Romeo is similar to Demetrius in the way that he switches from loving one girls to the other in the blink of an eye. Also that their actions and “love” is impulsive and childish. Hermia faces a similar problem that Juliet had faced, her father wants her to marry a man she does not love, while she longs to be with another. Not only this, but their fathers had similar reactions, they both threaten death and abandonment if they disobey their orders. And in both cases the young lovers attempt to run away together. Of course that had not been a comedy and their plan had failed leading to their doom; this is a comedy and shall work out in the end.

9. January 5th, 2012 at 7:32 pm      Reply anjuv1 Says:

In act one scene one of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, by William Shakespeare, Helena is talking about Hermia, Demetrius, as well as herself. This is her soliloquy paraphrased:

How is it possible for some people to be
    happy while others aren’t?
    People in Athens say that I am as fair as Hermia.
    But what does that matter? Demetrius doesn’t
    believe so. He will not know, but he knows he’s
    crazy in love over Hermia’s beauty,
    while I admire him for his beauty.
    Things evil and good, both of them are in love.
    Love can make anything appear to be pretty.
    Love looks not through eyes, but with the mind.
    Therefore Cupid is illustrated as blind,
    love is not good at making decisions,
    Cupid leaves hastily due to having wings not eyes.
    That’s why love is called a child.
    He is set up for disaster,
    like young boys who are foolish.
    So love is perjured everywhere.
    For before Demetrius set his eyes on Hermia,
    he told me he was mine.
    And when Hermia came into the picture,
    he left, and broke his promise.
    I will go tell him of Hermia’s plan.
    He will then go the woods tomorrow night,
    to get her and for this information,
    I will get a word of thanks,
    I to enrich my pain, to see him go and come once back again.

Through this short speech said by Helena, you see how depressed she is about Demetrius loving Hermia instead of her. She says how people think that she is as beautiful as Hermia, but all she cares about is what Demetrius thinks of her. In her speech, Helena tells the reader she will tell Demetrius of Hermia and Lysander’s plan to get married. She just wants to win Demetrius’ love. This speech is somewhat similar to Romeo and Juliet. Near the beginning of that play, Romeo loves Rosaline. She doesn’t return his love. This is how Helena feels about Demetrius. Although this is the same, Demetrius was in love with another woman while Rosaline swore to a life of chastity. Helena was really jealous of how Hermia has her love’s heart. Hermia didn’t even want it. She loves Lysander. I wonder how Demetrius is going to take the news about the situation.

10. January 5th, 2012 at 7:49 pm      Reply bridgetd1 Says:

In Helena’s speech she wonders how one person can be so happy while another is so sad. In Athens she is thought to be just beautiful as Hermia but Demetrius does not seem to think so. He does not believe in anything but his own opinion. But even his worst traits are beautiful to Helena. Helena believes that love is not seen with the eyes, but with the mind, which is why Cupid is painted blind. She also thinks that love is foolish and does not have good judgment. Demetrius promised to love Helena but he broke that promise when he fell in love with Hermia. Helena decides to tell Demetrius about Hermia’s plans and he will be very grateful. She knows it is a very high price but she does not care.

Helena is obviously very jealous of Hermia. She is completely in love with Demetrius and will do anything for him. She is betraying her best friend just so Demetrius will notice her. She is COMPLETELY desperate, which can cause people to do crazy things. This is related to Romeo and Juliet because Romeo was obsessed with Rosaline like Helena is obsessed with Demetrius and Demetrius is in love with Hermia, but they are all denied. Also, Hermia’s father is treating to kill Hermia if she does not marry Demetrius (touchy) and Juliet’s father was going to abandon her if she did not marry Paris.

11. January 5th, 2012 at 7:55 pm      Reply Autumn Says:

In the soliloquy above, spoken by Helena, she is feeling very envious of Hermia. Helena is just as beautiful as Hermia, everyone in Athens agrees except Demetrius; the one person whose acceptance she seeks.

Some people can be so much happier than others!
    All throughout Athens, I am considered just as beautiful as Hermia.
    But it doesn’t matter what everybody thinks because Demetrius doesn’t think that is so
    And he sins, being so fond of Hermia’s eyes
    I admire him so much
    All the bad qualities too, the things out of proportion
    Love can change and become great:
    You don’t fall in love looking at someone, you fall in love with the person’s inner personality
    That is why Cupid is depicted as blind (because he doesn’t choose who would just look good together)
    Cupid is not judgmental
    but wings and blindness represents reckless haste
    and that is why Cupid is said to be a child acting foolishly
    so Cupid is often cheated
    mischievous boys in the sport of love falsely swear
    So Cupid is the victim of perjury everywhere:
    For before Demetrius looked in Hermia’s eyes
    He promised that he only loved me!
    And when Hermia came along, these oaths meant nothing
    So he was gone and the promises he showered me with were gone too
    I will tell Demetrius of Hermia’s plan to leave
    Then he will follow her to the woods to pursue her
    And he will thank me for telling him
    But it will cost me alot, such as a friend in Helena
    So in this circumstance, I will have to have more pain
    To have Demetrius look at me again

Helena is very jealous of Hermia and she says that Cupid is cheated all the time by guys like Demetrius who promise to love girls like herself and they don’t. So in order to win Demetrius’s love again, Helena plans to tell him of Hermia and Lysander’s plan to leave Athens so that he will be thankful. Helena is willing to lose the friendship of Hermia and Lysander for a boy. She is so desperate for Demetrius to love her. Helena is obviously feeling the heartbreak and pain from love. When she was talking about Cupid’s haste it made me think of Romeo’s change from Rosaline to Juliet. He promised his heart to Rosaline and then loved Juliet. Who’s to say that wouldn’t have happened with Juliet?

• January 5th, 2012 at 8:48 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

I think you paraphrased that really well and I agree with everything in your summary. The play is a comedy, so everyone gets married, but Helena didn’t know that while the story was taking place. Since Helena didn’t know how it would end, she was risking two friendships for a boy who she knows doesn’t love her back.

12. January 5th, 2012 at 7:55 pm      Reply kevinj3 Says:

Helena’s soliloquy paraphrased:

Oh how some people can seem much happier than others!
    In all of Athens I am thought to be as beautiful as Hermia.
    But what does that even mean if Demetrius does not think so
    He will not notice at all,
    He is too busy admiring Hermia’s beauty and virtue
    So I, who loves him
    Love is powerful enough to overshadow one’s bad qualities,
    and make one who is loathsome seem beautiful and good.
    Love does not see with eyes, but with the mind.
    Given this, Cupid is blind and cannot make good choices.
    Love makes quick decisions and chooses with haste.
    The choices it makes most often are mistakes because love is a child, and children are brash and reckless.
    Before Demetrius laid eyes on Hermia, he and I were lovers.
    But once Hermia came into the picture, he neglected all the promises he had made me earlier.
    If I inform him that Hermia is leaving, he is bound to follow her path.
    It is all worth it in the end if I could just see him when he goes and comes.

Helena’s tone seems downcast, which is understandable considering her circumstances. She is still in love with Demetrius, who had once loved her too, but has since moved on to Hermia. This is very awkward because Demetrius does not receive any affection back from Hermia, who loves Lysander, a man who is not approved of by Egeus, Hermia’s father. Demetrius should leave Hermia alone and go back to Helena because she actually loves him. This situation draws similarities to Romeo and Juliet because before Romeo sees Juliet, he loved Rosaline, who was on a pedestal and ignored Romeo. This is the kind of relationship between Helena and Demetrius, and Demetrius and Hermia. One possible difference is that the neglected one in Romeo and Juliet, Romeo, eventually moves on and finds a person who loves him back. This may or may not happen in Midsummer Night’s Dream.

• January 5th, 2012 at 11:18 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

I think your paraphrasing is pretty good. Except in line 3, it would have been better if you said “but why does that matter” instead of “but what does that even mean”

P.S. Ike is better than Marth 😛

13. January 5th, 2012 at 7:57 pm      Reply johnk4 Says:

First Helena says that some people can be happy with love and other people cannot. Ten she says that according to Athens she is as fair as Hermia. She states that Demetrius does not follow this way of thinking and loves Hermia. She states that she is admiring his characteristics and that Demetrius is sneaky and crafty. Demetrius disobeyed her secret oath to have him and loves Hermia. She says tat because Hermia knows that she loves her and does not love Demetrius as a result. She says that she will tell Demetrius that she has run away and she hopes that she will get Demetrius love her after this. This revels that she had a very bad experience with love. She also revels that she has plans for everything. The lesson her is to love someone that loves you back. Romeo loved Rosaline but she would not love Romeo back. They both say love someone that loves you back. Also Romeo and Juliet were planning to run away.

• January 5th, 2012 at 9:56 pm      Reply Anton Says:

It isn’t really love someone who loves you back. Helena fell in love with Demetrius, because he loved her, then Demetrius abandoned her. 🙁

14. January 5th, 2012 at 7:58 pm      Reply benjaminf Says:

Helena says in her soliloquy:
    Oh how happy others can be!
    People in Athens think I am as fair as Hermia.
    But that doesn’t matter because Demetrius thinks not.
    He won’t think of me as he stutters when looking at Hermia.
    He is so great that I am blind to anything bad about him.
    Love is only skin deep and only looks matter.
    Therefore Cupid is blind to personalities and doesn’t create love when judging the minds of the lovers.
    His wings are for flying but his eyes are for nothing.
    Therefore love is a child because it is so easily tricked.
    Boys think love is a game and their loves are lies.
    Demetrius gave me his oath of love but when he felt that Hermia may like him; his oaths to me were quickly broken.
    I will tell him that Hermia is getting married tomorrow and then he will certainly follow her into the woods to their place of marriage.
    If he thanks me for the information I give him, it will be worth it for me because I will finally have his attention again.
    Helena’s soliloquy tells us that Helena really loved Demetrius when they were together and although he left her, she still wants him back. This tells us that Helena must have very strong feelings for Demetrius because if what she said about being one of the fairest in Athens is true, she should have not trouble finding a new partner. Her love for Demetrius reminds me of Romeo’s love for Rosaline. But the difference is that the love between Helena and Demetrius was once mutual, unlike the love between Romeo and Rosaline.

15. January 5th, 2012 at 8:07 pm      Reply alwynp2 Says:

How are some people happy whereas some other people sad!
    Though some people of Athens thinks that I am just as fair as she. (Hermia)
    So what? Demetrius does not think so;
    He knows that it is true, but he does not want to admit it:
    And he sits there, admiring Hermia’s eyes,
    Just like I do to him:
    Things that are good and terrible both has no difference,
    Love can switch anything to make it beautiful:
    Love looks with the mind and not with the eyes;
    That is why Cupid is drawn blind:
    Love has no taste;
    Having wings to fly, but no eyes predict a catastrophe:
    And that is why Cupid is portrayed as a child,
    He is often mistaken
    Like boys who end up making phony promises,
    So Cupid is shows up everywhere
    The first time he looked into Hermia’s eyes,
    He promised that I (Helena) was his one and only love;
    But when he saw Hermia,
    That second his promises were forgotten.
    I should tell Demetrius about Lysander, who she really loves
    And about their plans to run away.
    Go after her, and seek the truth.
    If this does work, it will come with a price:
    But I will pay for it,
    If he sees me again and tells his feelings for me.
    In Helena’s soliloquy, she expresses her envy for Hermia. Demetrius tells her that she is his only love. Then, he sees Hermia and goes after her. This event has made Helena almost HATE love. I could relate this to Romeo and Juliet in a couple of ways. First, Demetrius reminds me of Romeo. Romeo (Demetrius) thinks that he loves Rosaline (Helena). Then, Romeo sees Juliet (Hermia) and falls in love with her! This is also not like Romeo and Juliet because Juliet actually loves Romeo back. In Midsummer Night’s Dream, it is the other way around. Demetrius likes Helena and Helena likes Demetrius back. Then, Demetrius sees Hermia and falls in love with HER! Both Romeo and Demetrius are like what we would call today “players”. The say they like one girl then go onto liking another.

16. January 5th, 2012 at 8:16 pm      Reply carak1 Says:

How lucky some others can be! Throughout Athens, people think me to be as fair as Hermia, but what does that matter, as Demetrius does not? He does not see what they see and as he makes a mistake, doting on Hermia’s looks, I love him for his qualities, both good and bad which all seem good painted by love. Love is through the mind, not through the eyes, and that is why Cupid is painted blind. Also, love does not judge. Cupid makes fast decisions because of wings and no eyes. Because of this, Cupid is seen to be a child, for he often makes decisions quickly, like boys do. Before Demetrius saw Hermia, he swore he loved me. Then he met her, and all oath melted away. I will tell him of Hermia’s leaving with Lysander and he will go to her in the forest. Though it will hurt and I will betray Hermia, it is worth it for one last look.

Helena loves Demetrius but Demetrius love Hermia who loves Lysander who love Hermia back. Hermia speaks of love not being a thing of beauty but rather of the mind. In relation to Romeo and Juliet, I think this idea rather contrasts the love of the “star cross’d lovers.” Romeo and Juliet fall in love based on looks, and Hermia thinks love is not based on looks, as Cupid is blind. We can learn that the people we choose to be with in our lives, whether a petty eight grade boyfriend/girlfriend or a spouse, should be chosen for their personalities rather than their looks. Looks fade, character doesn’t. I think Helena’s love for Demetrius is as if Rosaline loved Romeo back, but then Romeo met Juliet. She loves him but he now loves her best friend. Imagine the heartbreak it would cause. I think Hermia is more moderate and wise about love than Romeo and Juliet because she stops to think rather than pushing ahead without thought to things.

• January 5th, 2012 at 9:00 pm      Reply elizabethp4 Says:

I totally agree!
      That would be terrible if Rosaline finally loved what was there as soon as it slipped away.

17. January 5th, 2012 at 8:42 pm      Reply tylerf2 Says:

In Act I, scene i, we encounter a “love quatrain” between four different characters: Hermia, Helena, Lysander and Demitrius. Now, Hermia loves Lysander, and Lysander lover Hermia back. But Demitrius also loves Hermia, when Helena loves Demitrius. Lysander and Hermia have decided that they shall leave the city of Athens and go elsewhere to be married. They are doing this because the father threatened Hermia, stating “You will either marry Demitrius or death will come to you.” Well, she instead chooses to run away before any of these things can be fulfilled. They have both just told of their plan to Helena, who wants to know how Hermia charms Demitrius so well when she does not even like him. hermia tells that she does not do anything, but the more she hates him the more he loves her. Now, both Lysander and Hermia have left the scene, and Helena states (paraphrased):

“How can others be so happy, when I am so sad?
    I am just as good as Hermia is,
    Yet, Demirtius thinks it not so.
    He won’t know as anyone else knows
    And there he is, admiring her eyes,
    Like how I admire him so.
    Things both good and bad, having no difference
    Since love can change all that.
    Love should be because of heart, not image
    OF course he doesn’t like me, cupid cannot see
    Love has no taste as well
    Having only wings and no eyes is bringing disaster about
    This is why love is portrayed as a child,
    Because he is often wrong in choosing right from wrong
    And boys, with their false promises
    Cupid showing himself everywhere
    He promised me that he was mine and mine only
    But as soon as he laid eyes on Hermia
    Those promises turned into nothing
    Maybe I shall tell him of Hermia loving Lysander
    For then he shall follow them both tommorow
    He will follow, in seek of the truth
    If this works, it might come at a price.
    But I mean it for the best,
    So he will love me again.”

In this speech, Helena seems to be jealous of how Hermia gets Demitrius to love her. She states that Demitrius once loved her and promised her that she was all his. But as soon as he saw Hermia, those promises meant nothing. Now she is considering telling Demitrius of how Hermia loves Lysander instead of him. Then, he will follow them in search of the truth. If the clever plan works, it will work with some sacrifice. But, in her opinion, it is meant for the best.

18. January 5th, 2012 at 8:43 pm      Reply nicolea4 Says:

In Helena’s soliloquy, she expresses her feelings towards Hermia and Demetrius.

How is it that some people can be so much happier than others!
    In Athens, I am seen just as fair as Hermia.
    But what does that matter if Demetrius does not think so?
    He will only know what he knows, not what anyone else knows.
    And he is making a mistake, loving Hermia.
    Still, I am in love with him:
    Things terrible and repulsive, things insignificant.
    Love can make anything seem special and beautiful.
    Love is found using the mind, not the mind.
    Which is why Cupid is painted blind.
    Love is not judgmental.
    Cupid acts quickly without thought,
    Which is why love is said to be a child.
    Because when he decides he is often tricked.
    Like boys deceiving others.
    So the boy of love is deceived everywhere,
    Before Demetrius became interested in Hermia,
    he promised me that he would love me forever.
    But once he saw Hermia, he broke his promise of love.
    I will go tell him of the beautiful Hermia’s leaving,
    Then he will go to the forest tomorrow night
    To follow her; and for this news
    If he thanks me, It is a great price.
    But here I am, meaning to heal my pain,
    To see him there and back again.

Helena’s soliloquy tells us that she has not had good experiences with love. Her current love, Demitrius, used to love Helena; that is, until he met Hermia. Then he fell in love with Hermia and no longer loves Helena. We learn that Helena is desperate for Demitrius’s attention and for him to return her love. We also learn that Helena is sneaky and willing to betray her friend to get Demitrius to notice her. This is similar to Romeo and Juliet because at the beginning of the play, Romeo was hopelessly in love with Rosaline, who did not return his love. Romeo and Helena did not receive love back from their “crushes”, which left them sulking and brokenhearted.

19. January 5th, 2012 at 8:59 pm      Reply elizabethp4 Says:

In Helena’s soliloquy, she’s essentially saying how jealous she is of Hermia (the fact that Demetrius is in love with her). She says something along these lines:

How happy others can be!
    Throughout Athens, I’m regarded as pretty as Hermia.
    But what good is that? Demetrius doesn’t think so.
    He won’t see what they see:
    And as he makes a mistake, falling for Hermia,
    I do the same thing to Demetrius (fall for him:
    But I love him for all his qualities, good and bad, they make no difference,
    Love can make him seem better than he actually is.
    Love isn’t based on appearances but personality;
    And therefore Cupid is blind,
    And Love is not judgmental;
    But is fast and impulsive, because it is blind and has wings;
    Therefore Love is said to be a child,
    Because he is as naive as one.
    As silly boys while they play are,
    So Love is lying everywhere:
    For when Demetrius looks into Hermia’s eyes,
    He lied about the oath that said he was mine;
    But when he saw Hermia,
    He left, and the oaths he made went with him.
    I’ll tell him of Hermia’s plan to marry Lysander,
    Then he’ll go to the woods tomorrow night,
    Follow her; and for this information,
    If I get any things, it is a rich repayment:
    But here I mean to make something of my pain,
    To have him look at me and back again.

Poor Helena saw that Hermia had Demetrius’ love, once directed at her, is now in Hermia’s favor. However, she thinks that Demetrius only loves Hermia because of her looks, and in that way, it isn’t true love but simply adoration which will soon fade.

I just have to put this in: Helena’s reaction, this monologue of hers, actually shows a lot of what almost all teenage girls feel at some point in their life. “How could he like her, he only likes her because of her looks! She’s not even that pretty!” That essentially summed up Helena’s whole speech. It’s a bit blunt, but yet.

Helena says how she thinks it’s rushed, which reminds me of when Friar Lawrence was warning Romeo to think about what he was doing, to make sure that he was actually and honestly in love with Juliet.

• January 5th, 2012 at 9:29 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

I liked the way you paraphrased Helena’s soliloquy and I think you hit all of its main points. I also agree with what you said about her reaction being the same as almost all teenage girls at some point.

• January 5th, 2012 at 11:04 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

😮 !!! How come I can’t paraphrase as well as this. I never get my sentences to go as smooth as this.

I agree with your Romeo and Juliet reference.

20. January 5th, 2012 at 9:20 pm      Reply nicholasm14 Says:

Helena’s soliloquy was right after Hermia and Lysander had left. Here is it paraphrased:

How happy others can be when compared to others!
    All throughout Athens people would agree that I am as fair as Hermia.
    But how does that matter? Demetrius doesn’t agree with that;
    He won’t know everything expect for what he should know.
    As he makes mistakes, admiring Hermia’s eyes,
    So I, admiring all of the good qualities of Demetrius.
    Anything that is immoral and despicable, out of all proportion,
    Can be transformed into something wonderful and dignified by love.
    Love is present not through sight, but through the mind;
    And this is why Cupid can’t see.
    When a mind is in love, it makes poor judgments.
    Having wings but not eyes can lead to folly and recklessness.
    And so love is portrayed as a child
    Because Cupid’s choices are often deceived by love.
    As boys in play often deny the truth and lie,
    So the word “love” is used falsely everywhere.
    For, before Demetrius had first seen and fell in love with Hermia,
    He swore his love to me through numerous oaths;
    And when Hermia had come into his life,
    His love for me had dissolved, and his oaths were broken.
    I will go to him and tell him about how Hermia is leaving the city.
    Then he will go to the woods tomorrow night to
    Pursue her. And if for this news
    He thanks me, it will be at a great cost.
    But I will suffer the consequences,
    If it means that he will return to me and love me once more.

Helena’s soliloquy clearly depicts her situation when it comes to love. As we learned today, there is situation going on between four of the aristocrats. Hermia and Lysander are both in love with each other, and plan to leave Athens so they can be together. Demetrius is in love with Hermia, but this after he was in love with Helena. While he moved on to being in love with Hermia, Helena was still in love with him. She desperately wanted him to love her again as he did. She plans to use her knowledge that Hermia is leaving the city with Lysander to her advantage. She hopes she will be thanked/ noticed by Demetrius. This is extremely similar to Romeo’s situation in Romeo and Juliet. Romeo wanted Rosaline to love him back as Helena wanted Demetrius to love her back once again.

• January 5th, 2012 at 10:17 pm      Reply nikital Says:

I like how you paraphrased Helena’s soliloqy. It reveals how much she is willing to sacrifice in order to gain back Demetrius’s love.

21. January 5th, 2012 at 9:53 pm      Reply Anton Says:

how happy some lovers compared to others are
    throughout Athens, I am believed to be as beautiful as Hermia
    but why does that matter, if Demetrius doesn’t agree
    he won’t see what everyone else does
    as he loves Hermia, who does not care much for him
    I do to, loving everything about him
    no matter how bad some of his qualities are
    love can make someone look better than they are
    love is not based on looks, but on personality
    and that is why cupid is portrayed as blind
    and love is not judgmental
    love having wings, but being blind, is impulsive
    that is why love is like a child
    often cheated in his choice
    just as boys do when they play
    love is scattered everywhere
    so when Demetrius saw at Hermia,
    all the things he said (like hail) about loving only me,
    once they were heated by his love for Hermia,
    melted
    I will tell Demetrius of Hermia’s plans of running away
    then he will go to the forest tomorrow night
    to follow her. And for giving him this news
    If he thanks me, it would have been worth it
    But all this would really do is worsen my pain,
    to temporarily have his attention and lose it again.

Helena loves Demetrius more than Romeo loved Rosaline.
    She loves him very desperately, and is willing to be cruel to Lysander and Hermia, just for a chance to have his attention temporarily. Although she knows that it would be like taunting an doberman, momentary fun followed by what how you think an angry dog will treat you , she thinks that this “fun” will be worth it. What makes this the most sad is that Demetrius once loved Helena, aroused her love for him, and once it was there abandoned her 🙁

22. January 5th, 2012 at 10:14 pm      Reply nikital Says:

In Helena’s soliloquy, she says(paraphrased): How happy some people over others can be! Through all of Athens, I am thought as beautiful as my friend, Hermia, but Demetrius doesn’t think so. He makes a mistake, doting on her when I admire his qualities, a trait that SHE doesn’t share. The bad things, out of all proportion, can be switched by love for good things, for it sees not with the eyes, but with the mind. That is why Cupid is painted blind(ed). Love’s mind also does not contain very good judgement, and that’s why Cupid is seen with wings and no eyes, the very figure of haste and rush. And, therefore, Love is said to be a child because his choice is often inconstant and beguiled. Before, however, Demetrius looked upon Hermia, he loved and courted me, lying to me and saying that he was only mine, a fact that was soon proved to be untrue. Nevertheless, I’ll go tell him that Hermia will flee to the woods tomorrow night, and he will pursue her. For this news, he may thank me, a high price, but I mean to make something of my pain, and have him love me back again.
    In this, Helena confirms what Lysander said earlier on: that Demetrius used to court her, but abandoned her when he laid eyes on Hermia, her friend. Helena still loved him, however, and still does. Even at this point, she is willing to take him back.
    This situation is almost like that of Romeo and Rosaline. Romeo loved Rosaline, but she wouldn’t return the love. In the same way, Helena loves Demetrius, but he won’t love her back. Also, both Helena and Romeo think of their crush constantly and mourn their loss of him or her. In Romeo and Juliet, however, it is well known that Romeo finds someone new. Will the same thing happen to Helena? Now that’s a question to consider.

23. January 5th, 2012 at 10:20 pm      Reply Jesse Says:

How happy can others be I am just as fair as her!But who cares? demetrius doesn’t think that. He is in love with Hermania and I’m in love with him. Love should not be based on beauty it should be based the mind. Love is like a child. All those feelings he had for me were melted by his love for Hermania.I shall tell him of their plan to elope and then purhapse he will love me again.

Helena thinks of love as a pain but one thats entirely worth it. She thinks that love is a little immature. This is similar to romeo and juliet because In the beginnning Romeo talks about how horrible love is yet it is amazing. Here helena is saying something very simiar.

24. January 5th, 2012 at 10:20 pm      Reply johnw2 Says:

In Helena’s soliloquy she reveals a lot about her personality and relationship with love. Her speech is basically her stating that though she loves Demetrius, he does not love her back, and also that he left her to chase after Hermia because he felt that she was more beautiful than Helena. She takes obvious offense to this because, she goes on to say that she is just as beautiful as Hermia, and there is no good reason why Demetrius should not chase after her. Especially because he does not have Hermia’s love but he has Helena’s. I feel that from this speech we learn that Helena is the type of person that clings to one person and one person only, and cannot accept being rejected by that person. In this case that person is Demetrius, who showed her what she felt as true love. He then left her broken hearted because he had found a new girl to chase after, one that would not be won over as easily. She then continues to pursue Demetrius in hopes that he comes back to her. I feel that if she truly loves Demetrius she would let him go because she would rather see him happy with someone else then sad with her. I feel that Helena is an over dependent lover who has the need to be loved back by a man who has no serious interest in her. She is bound to be miserable in this love triangle.

25. January 5th, 2012 at 10:22 pm      Reply briannab3 Says:

How is it that some people can be so much happier than others?
    Everyone in Athens thinks I am just as beautiful as Hermia.
    But so what? Because Demetrius does not think so, and that is all that matters.
    He only knows what he thinks, not what others think.
    He is making a mistake, loving Hermia
    But so am I for admiring him and his qualities.
    Things disgusting and gross, things insignificant;
    Love can make worthless things beautiful.
    When we are in love, we don’t see with our eyes, but with our hearts.
    That is why the god of love Cupid, is painted as blind.
    Love doesn’t make good judgments
    With wings and no eyes, Cupid is bound to be reckless and hasty.
    That is why they say love is like a child;
    Because it makes such bad choices and cheats!
    Just like boys, lying and cheating while playing games,
    Cupid breaks his promises all the time.
    Before Demetrius ever saw Hermia,
    He showered me with promises that he would love me forever.
    But when he met Hermia, his promises to me melted away.
    So I will go tell him about Hermia running away.
    Then he will go to the woods tomorrow night
    To follow her. And for telling him this news,
    If I get thanks, then it is at a dear expense,
    But at least to comfort me I will see him when he goes here and there.
    This speech tells us that Helena’s course to true love is definitely very bumpy! She and Demetrius loved each other, and he showered her with gifts and promises that he would never leave her, and then here comes Hermia! She steals Demetrius’ heart without meaning to and doesn’t want it! And Helena craves his attention so she tries to get it whatever way she can. She is even willing to betray her two friends for him to look at her and his thanks. To me this makes no sense. Why not let Hermia and Lysander run off and get married together so that Helena could have Demetrius to herself? She is basically encouraging Demetrius to go find Hermia and marry her! Helena’s plan is not thought through; just like Cupid making blind judgments. It will be interesting to see how this situation will pan out.

26. January 5th, 2012 at 10:31 pm      Reply ashleys2 Says:

How can some people can be so much happier than I?
    Throughout all of Athens I am thought to be just as pretty as Hermia to everyone but Demetrius.
    He refuses to admit that I love him because he is so busy checking out Hermia.
    I’m making a mistake by obsessing over him so much.
    Love can make worthless things beautiful, as one loves not with the eyes but the mind. No matter how pretty someone is, it takes a lot more than looks to truly love someone.
    That is why Cupid is painted blind.
    Love has no judgement either. Cupid is painted with wings and no eyes, so he is bound to be careless in decision making.
    That is why Love is said to be a child; because it acts like one and it makes bad choices, like playful children who tell lies. Cupid tells lies all the time.
    Before Demetrius had a thing for Hermia, all he could think about was me. He made promises to be that immediately broke when Hermia came along.
    I will tell him of Hermia’s escape plan so before she leaves he will once again try to woo her. If anything he will see that I still care about him, and that I will be there waiting for him when he comes back heartbroken.

Before Demetrius loved Hermia, he had a thing for Helena, but then he rejected her when he fell for her Hermia. From this passage we can learn that even though Demetrius loves Hermia, Helena still cares about him as much as she did before. This is like in Romeo and Juliet when Paris found out about Romeo and Juliet’s clandestine marriage. Although he was angry, he still respected Juliet after she died. In Romeo and Juliet, we learned that young love revolves around looks, but with mature love like in Midsummer Night’s dream, there is more to real love than just looks.

27. January 5th, 2012 at 10:47 pm      Reply harrisond1 Says:

In Helena’s soliloquy, she essentially stated how jealous she was of Hermia. Her speech paraphrased was:

How happy can someone else be?
    I’ve been regarded as fair as her throughout Athens
    But what does that matter? Demetrius doesn’t think so;
    He doesn’t know what they know:
    And as he admires Hermia,
    I admire him:
    All of his qualities
    can be made better by love:
    Love is not about looks, but is about personality
    This is why Cupid is blind:
    Love is judgmental as well;
    Having wings and no eyes is impulsive
    Therefore Love is said to be portrayed as a child
    Because it can make bad choices
    As mischievous boys make false promises
    So love is lying everywhere
    For before Demetrius fell in love with Hermia
    He swore that he was mine
    When Hermia came,
    his love for me was dissolved and forgotten.
    I will go to him and tell him of Hermia’s excaoe
    Then he will go to the woods tomorrow night
    Pursue her; and if he gives me thanks
    For this intelligence, it is at a great cost:
    But I will go through this pain
    To have have him return to me again.

In this speech, Helena showed her jealously for Hermia. She loves Demetrius, who in turn, loves Hermia. Hermia doesn’t even love Demetrius, she loves Lysander. Also, Helena said that Demetrius loved Hermia for her looks. Her love for Demetrius was like Romeo’s love for Rosaline, because he loved her, but she didn’t love him back. I wonder how this situation will develop.

28. January 5th, 2012 at 11:01 pm      Reply leonl2 Says:

How happy some others can be!
    All throughout Athens people think I am as good as Hermia.
    But what use is that? Demetrius doesn’t think so;
    It won’t change a thing:
    And as he goes on loving Hermia
    I, who admires his qualities:
    Love can turn things plain and out of all proportion something glorious and strong
    Love doesn’t look with eyes (at appearance), but instead looks with the mind;
    And that is why winged Cupid is clearly blind:
    Love’s mind also doesn’t have any taste of judgement
    Wings and no eyes represent reckless haste:
    And therefore Love is said to be a child,
    Because in choice he is so often cheated.
    As waggish boys in sports perjure,
    Cupid is perjured every where:
    For here Demetrius looked on Hermia’s eye,
    He broke the promises that he was only mine;
    And when this hail he fell in love with Hermia,
    He dissolved his oaths, and showers of them melted.
    I will go tell Demetrius that Hermia is fleeing;
    Then to the wood he will go tomorrow night
    chase her; and for this knowledge
    If I get a thanks, it is worth the expense:
    But in this circumstance mean I to increase my pain,
    To be able to see him when he goes and comes back.

Yes… I am very confused about some parts of this speech and I have trouble paraphrasing even with the side notes of the book.

This speech reveals that Helena knows a great deal about love. She makes many references to Cupid, using Cupid’s traits to blame the faults of love. She says that love has bad judgement and is always a lie- breaker. Demetrius used to love Helena but now he is head-over-heels for Hermia, and Helena blames this on Cupid.

After reading this we know that Helena is going to go tell Demetrius that Hermia and Lysander are fleeing. Uh-oh. Why would Hermia and Lysander even trust Helena with this information? We readers could easily tell that she despises Hermia. Demetrius knowing this will probably get Lysander and Hermia into trouble for trying to flee the city. I wonder if that was against the city rules at that time. It obviously is disobeying the “law” of Hermia’s father.

This play is starting off well enough. I think it’s more hard to understand the play when you read parts of the play for the first time alone.

29. January 5th, 2012 at 11:17 pm      Reply anthonym9 Says:

How happy others can be!
    I am just as good as Hermia.
    But who cares since Demetrius thinks not.
    He doesn’t know everything.
    And as he flirts with ,
    I am admiring him.
    Everything about him,
    But love makes it even better.
    Love is about personality, not all looks.
    And therefore Cupid doesn’t know love.
    Love is about people’s judging.
    Wings and no eyes means bad choices
    And so love is childish
    Because they make bad decisions.
    As a mean boy lies about his promise.
    So he lies everywhere
    So Demetrius loves Hermia,
    He lied that he loved me;
    When Hermia showed up,
    He loved her and his feelings for me went away.
    I’ll tell him about Hermia not going to the wedding.
    Then go and find her
    Woo her. And for the advice,
    If I receive thanks, it would pay off.
    But I will go through this pain,
    To have him love me.

30. January 5th, 2012 at 11:32 pm      Reply sabrinak1 Says:

Some people get to be happy while others are sad.
    in athens everyone knows we are of the same level of beauty
    But whatdoes it matter? demetrius certainly doesn’t agree!
    Either way, no one else’s opinion matters but his.
    He is wrong, so lost in her beauty
    Everything about him is beautiful to me
    Love changes us
    Love doesn’t look at outer beauty it looks at inner beauty
    That is the reason Cupid is always painted bind.
    Love does not have good judgement
    Cupid has wings but he is blind so he doesn’t make good matches
    Love is a child, deceptive, clever, immature.
    Cupi is like any other boy, he lies.
    Demetreus told me we’d be together.
    He fell for Hermia and broke his promise to me.
    I will tell him tht Hermia is going to leave tomorrow.
    He will chase after her
    Then he will thank me for my information
    He and Hermia may end up back together but he is still mine.

In Helena’s soliloquy we realize how much she loves Demetrius. She is willing to do really anything. She is ridiculously jealous and disagrees when people in Athens think they are both equally beautiful. She doesn’t understand how they can be equally beautiful if he chose her! Plus, she doesn’t even like him back! I can see why Helena is so frustrated!

31. January 6th, 2012 at 12:07 am      Reply amandaj3 Says:

In Act I, Scene I, Helena is clearly in love with Demetrius. Unfortunately for her, he is in love with her sister, Hermia. Here’s how I paraphrased Helena’s soliloquy:

How can some people be joyful why others are full of sorrow?
    The citizens of Athens think I’m just as beautiful as my sister, Hermia.
    But so what? Demetrius doesn’t think that and that’s what matters.
    He knows but refuses to admit.
    Demetrius is love with Hermia and he is making a mistake.
    The charm of love can make anything look perfect.
    When you are in love, you see with your mind, not your eyes.
    That is why Cupid is portrayed blind.
    Love has never good judgment either.
    Love is almost like a child because it makes foolish choices.
    Just as if young boys play games, telling lies.
    So love is perjured every time.
    Before Demetrius ever laid eyes on Hermia, he was in love with me.
    He swore that he would be mine forever.
    But when he fell in love with Hermia, all of his promises seemed to wither away.
    I will go tell Demetrius of Hermia’s plan.
    He will follow her through the forest tomorrow night.
    If he is thankful for the information, it will be worth the pain.
    At least I will get to see him when he goes and comes back.
    Helena is clearly in love with Demetrius. He used to be so in love with her until he saw Hermia. Now he is in love with her sister, Hermia. But Hermia is love with Lysander. But unfortunately for Hermia, her father, Egeus, wants her to marry Demetrius. This is basically a love quadrangle. Helena is so in love with Demetrius. Before Demetrius was in love with her also but she never loved him back. So he moved on to Hermia. I think Helena got jealous. She didn’t have a boy to shower her with love anymore. Now Hermia’s the center of attention. Helena thinks love is like a child. It makes poor choices. She also says that love is blind. I learned that you shouldn’t be ignorant and that you should like the person who likes you back, before he/she moves on. I think in Romeo and Juliet, a similarity was that the couples were both infatuated in love and were blind in love. They both loved with their minds, not their eyes. I think everyone could relate to Helena’s position.

32. January 6th, 2012 at 10:13 pm      Reply amandaf2 Says:

In Helena’s speech she is saying the following:
    Why are some people happier than others?
    People say that I am as pretty as Hermia,
    but who cares, Demetrius doesn’t think so.
    He doesn’t think like they do
    He loves Hermia, who does not love him back, which is foolish, however, I love him, which is foolish too.
    Love is not about looks, it is about personality,
    Therefore, Cupid is blind,
    and love makes bad judgments.
    Love is like a child, because it cheats
    And Cupid does not tell the truth.
    Before Demetrius met Hermia, he told me that he would love me forever,
    I will tell him that Hermia is running away.
    Then he will go find her.
    he will be thankful for the information,
    And at least I will see him when he leaves and when he returns.

In Helena’s speech, she is lovesick for Demetrius, who does not love her back. This reminds me of when Romeo was love sick for Rosaline. However, Rosaline never loved Romeo in the first place, and Demetrius used to love Helena. It is clear that Helena loves Demetrius a lot, and she will do anything to make sure that she sees him.

33. January 9th, 2012 at 7:45 pm      Reply sarahb5 Says:

In Helens’s speech, she is saying:
    How can some people be so happy while others are not?
    Everyone in Athens thinks I am just as pretty as Hermia.
    But that doesn’t matter because Demetrius doesn’t think that.
    He thinks the same things as everyone else but he just won’t admit it.
    He is making a mistake by falling in love with Hermia.
    I love him, but love can sometimes make things seem different than they actually are.
    Love is not all about ones outer beauty, but it is about their inner beauty.
    So, Cupid is blind.
    Love makes bad judgements,
    Love flies around but can’t see where it is going,
    And therefore love is like a child,
    Because when he chooses, someone is often cheated out of what is theirs.
    Before Demetrius met Hermia, he told me he would only love me.
    But when he saw Hermia, all his promises to me were broken.
    I will tell him about Hermia’s plan to escape,
    So he will be in the woods tomorrow night to stop her.
    And because I gave him this information, he will be thankful to me.
    But maybe this will make my pain worse because I will have to see him leave and come back again with Hermia.

Helena’s speech tells us that she was once happily in love with Demetrius but once he saw Hermia, he just left her. This reminds me of Romeo and Juliet in many ways. First, Romeo is in love with Rosaline but as soon as he sees Juliet, he forgets all about Rosaline and falls in love with Juliet. In this case Romeo is like Demetrius. Then, there’s also how Romeo is in love with Rosaline but he does not love her back, just like how Helena loves Demetrius but he does not love her back.

Email will not be published

Website example