January 25

“I can still tend the rabbits, George?”

Discuss Of Mice and Men through page 65 here.  Be sure to include many specific text-based details in your commentary.  Be sure also to reply to your classmates as the discussion evolves over the course of the evening.

Also, don’t forget to choose a specific piece of text to discuss in class tomorrow.  You may also want to write two or three discussion questions for class.  Remember, though, that a discussion question should not have an answer.  Rather, it should provoke interesting conversation.

OMM blog #3

Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved.

Posted January 25, 2019 by equinson in category Of Mice and Men

30 thoughts on ““I can still tend the rabbits, George?”

1. jane

After reading pages 38 to 67 of “Of Mice and Men”, I noticed the similarity between Lennie’s body and his heart. Lennie has been described as big and strong, and George makes it a point to tell Candy that no one should ever mess with Lennie because he will easily beat them up. But what is ironic is that Lennie doesn’t use his appearance to his advantage. The ranch is filled with other men that like to seem tough and intimidating each other. Yet Lennie doesn’t want anything to do with any violence. Despite having Curley hit at his face, Lennie doesn’t want to hurt him. All he wants to do is innocently tend to rabbits, or pet the new-born puppies. Lennie has such an innocent, large heart, and because of this makes himself defenseless. Which is why he would be much better working on the ranch that George and he fantasize about. Instead of being surrounded by tough guys in bunks, Lennie could care for and protect rabbits.

Reply
  2. Mikayla Friedman

While reading this section of Of Mice and Men, I noticed what I think is an important part of George’s character. George wants to fit in with the rest of the guys. I first noticed this when Slim is telling George about how the guys hang out at “Old Susy’s place.” George says:
    “‘Might go in and look the joint over,’ said George.
    ‘Sure. Come along. It’s a hell of a lot of fun – her crackin’ jokes all the time.'” (p. 52)
    George even tells Slim about Lennie, which simultaneously gives the reader information about how Lennie and George’s friendship started. It turns out that George used Lennie as a source of amusement for himself, because Lennie did everything George told him to. It was not until Lennie had a near-death experience that George stopped using Lennie to his advantage. Also, I think George wants have a feeling of belonging because although Lennie could be considered his friend, George always has to act as the person in charge when they are together. He can’t let his guard down and just talk to Lennie as an equal (at least he feels he cannot do that). Therefore, George has no one to confide in, especially about Lennie. I thought George would actually try to stay at this ranch and enjoy his time there until the end of the chapter, when Candy, George, and Lennie are talking about their future. With Candy’s help, they might actually have the money to but their own place. I would really like George and Lennie to make their dream a reality, and I look forward to seeing if they do.

Reply
  3. Myles Ng

This section reinforces the idea of the parent child relationship of Lennie and George. George seems to parent Lennie, who is a child at heart. The reason this relationship has evolved into the one we see today is guilt. George had put Lennie’s life endanger, saved him, and Lennie only remembered him being saved by George. The part where George tells slim about what Lennie did in Weed and how George had nothing to do with it but still helped Lennie hide and evade the law shows just how much he cares for him.

Reply
  4. Hannah Pitkofsky

This chapter continues to develop the parent/protector-child relationship between George and Lennie, but also shows its importance to their everyday lives and the people and places that are around them. George only tells a few, minor details about what Lennie did back in Weed, but that small act shows that George cares about Lennie and helped him evade the punishment back then, and if the same instance came up again, I can infer that both boys would do the same for the other.

Reply
  5. maxwellw

This chapter shows a huge step forward in George and Lennie’s quest to purchase their own property. Candy regrets his decision to allow Carlson to shoot his dog, thinking he should have done it himself, but is pleased to help Lennie and George buy a farm. The friendship between the two men has grown to include Candy, who never really had a friend besides his dog and has found something worthy to spend the money on that he received as compensation for losing his hand.

Reply
    1. Mikayla Friedman

I really hope that with the help of Candy, Lennie and George will be able to purchase their own land. I also think that whether they know it or not, Lennie and George are doing Candy a big favor, and giving him a chance to enjoy his life.

Reply
  6. johnh1

There is a lot of talk of euthanasia in these chapters. They don’t want the dogs to suffer so they put them down. There are scenes when humans even say “I wisht somebody’d shoot me if I got old an’ a cripple.” It’s talked about too much too be just to fill space. It relates to the kind of tough love that George gives Lennie. George calls Lennie an “idiot” and tells him not to talk. However, it’s all for his own good. With the dogs, they’re being killed but just so they won’t suffer.

Reply
    1. Zoe

That’s a great point that I never thought of. I agree that dogs are put down for the good but I don’t agree that in this case it was the right idea to kill Candy’s dog.

Reply
  7. jaclynl

As I was reading this section of “Mice and Men,” I began to notice more about the complicated friendship between George and Lennie. As George spoke to Slim, he began to speak of Lennie in more of a negative way than we’ve seen so far. “’Course Lennie’s a God damn nuisance most of the time,” said George. “But you get used to goin’ around with a guy an’ you can’t get rid of him.”’ (p. 41) Personally, I think that George sees Lennie more as a person to take care of and guide than a friend. Especially after learning their backstories, it seems as though George feels as though he has stay in power over Lennie in order to help him. George has no faith in Lennie’s abilities, and although he may need a friend by his side to help him out, George believes he has to do everything for Lennie. As the story continues though, and if George, Lennie, and Candy end up working to get their own farm someday, this relationship may change.

Reply
  8. angelicac1

This chapter in Of Mice and Men showed me that Lennie has a complex type of innocence. His innocence protects him because he never has to deal with the reality of his actions, but this innocence doesn’t protect the people or animals that surround him. His innocence causes him to be dangerous to others. There have been many times in this novella when Lennie tells George that he never meant any harm with his actions, but what his innocence doesn’t show him is that his actions do cause harm to others and Lennie isn’t fully exposed to that.

Reply
    1. Kate Ma.

You bring up a very interesting point of Lennie’s innocence that I have not thought of. I agree with how it protects him, but not others.

Reply
    2. trinityt

I agreed with your statement about Lennie’s innocence. Maybe he will be fully exposed to it all in the future and will have a self vs. self conflict.

Reply
  9. Kate Ma.

In this chapter, the reoccurring motif of animals appeared again. I’m starting to believe that animals are very important to the plot and theme of this novel. I’m not exactly sure what these animals could mean, but I think that they are used as a comparison to characters. For example, Candy could be compared to his old dog. Candy seems old, and pretty much useless due to his hand, just like his dog, and also he was good at his job before, like how his dog was a good sheep herder. He even made the comparison himself when he said, “I wisht somebody’d shoot me if I got old an’ a cripple.” Another example would be Lennie compared to the puppies. Puppies don’t know much and they look for guidance from their parent, the same as how Lennie rely’s on George. I’m unsure of what the rabbits and mice symbolize, maybe a character later in the book? We’ve met many characters and have seen the motif of animals many times, but in this chapter the idea of Lennie and Candy being compared to dogs has stuck out to me.

Reply
    1. Emma Garbowitz

I agree that Candy and his dog are pretty similar. They do resemble each other in an odd fashion. Hopefully Candy’s life will not end the same way his dog’s did!!

Reply
  10. Emma Garbowitz

Throughout this chapter of Of Mice and Men, the reader can clearly see that Lennie is a person who wants to do no harm to others, under any circumstances. When Lennie chuckles slightly when Curly is getting mocked by everyone, Curly instantly becomes angry and beats Lennie up. Even when Lennie is bleeding really bad and can’t see out of one of his eyes he still doesn’t want to hurt him. It wasn’t until George told him to multiple times to fight back. The text states, ” George yelled again, ‘I said get him.'” Lennie never wanted to do anything to Curly even after he was injured by him. Furthermore, even after the incident when Lennie grabbed Curly’s hand and squeezed it too hard, he felt awful about what he did. The text states, “I di’n’t mean no harm, George.”Lennie was apologizing even though he did nothing wrong. He did nothing to provoke Curly and cause himself to get into a fight. Maybe, if Lennie did something wrong or did something rude Curly would have a right to beat him up but under these circumstances, Curly had no right.
    I think that Lennie did the right thing by standing up for himself. He did nothing wrong and he was getting hurt by someone. He shouldn’t have to take a beating just because he laughed a little bit. Lennie needs to learn to stick up for himself without the help of anyone else. He is completely capable of doing so, but he is too kind of a person to hurt anyone or anything on purpose. Therefore, I think Lennie needs to become mentally stronger and be able to comprehend what to do in certain situations; especially when he is really desperate.

Reply
  11. Emily

After reading last night’s pages I noticed the way that the symbol of dogs keeps coming up. The first time I noticed it was when Lennie had killed a mouse and George was telling Lennie to give it to him. Steinbeck describes Lennie as, “a terrier who doesn’t want to bring a ball to its master”(p. 9) This scene stood out to me because I think that it describes the relationship between Lennie and George perfectly. Lennie is loyal to George in almost a dog like manner and in return George takes care of him and looks out for him. No one would ever want any harm to come to their dog that sums up how George feels about Lennie.

Then again in tonight’s reading we were faced with the idea of Lennie being a dog when instead of being described as having hands he has “paws”(p.63). Both times it is crucial that Lennie is the dog because it shows how people perceive Lennie as less than human. Stenbeck is trying to show how society thinks that people with disabilities are not less than the average person. He is saying that this is not okay and I agree.

Reply
    1. MadiR

I think you are definitely right about Lennie being compared to a dog and you back it up with evidence very well. I agree that Steinbeck is saying that it is not okay to think of someone with disabilities by using the symbol of a dog.

Reply
  12. Zoe

This chapter of Of Mice And !en really established another example of Lennie and George’s relationship and how it changes throughout their conversations. The most important change was really between telling the story of their soon to be house and the encouragement of the fight with Curly and Lennie. When George told Lennie the story, he was loving and caring and told him of the rabbits to make him happy, much like a mother would tell a bedtime story to her child. However, when Curly attacks Lennie, George completely abandons him, refusing to help protect Lennie and even stopped Slim from helping. although this may seem awfully mean towards Lennie, in a way, it’s almost George letting Lennie learn himself about his strength with his size and how to protect himself. Once again George completes the role of a parent towards Lennie and I think this is the way the rest of the chapters will continue to be as we finish the story.

Reply
  13. stephaniec

Throughout this chapter of Of Mice and Men, the readers learn an important lesson. Essentially, in order to be a good person you don’t need to be intelligent. After, George and Slim talk about George and Lennie’s relationship, Slim says “Guys don’t need no sense to be a nice fella. Seems to me sometimes it jus’ works the other way around. Take a real smart guy and he and he ain’t hardly ever a nice fella.”(p. 40).

Reply
  14. laila sayegh

In tonights reading, we learn a lot about who Lennie truly is as a person. Although he is described as a big, strong man, he clearly does care about other people, no matter what they do to him. For example, even though Curley very immaturely beat up Lennie, Lennie didn’t even want to fight him back. The only reason he bothered to touch Curley was because George was forcing him to. Even after hurting Curley, Lennie said, “I didn’t wanta hurt him.” This goes to show how Lennie has a big heart, even though people push him around all the time.
    Another thing I noticed is that Lennie practically had gotten beaten up for no real reason. Lennie wasn’t laughing at Curley, it was just misinterpretation. There are several times in this book where harmless things had gotten hurt for no reason. For example, Candy’s old dog had gotten shot just because Carlson didn’t like his smell. Also, the mice that Lennie had accidentally killed in the beginning of the book. This reminded me of To Kill a Mockingbird and all of the symbolism behind the mockingbird: If something isn’t actually hurting you, there’s no need to hurt it. This can apply to many situations in the real world and it is a very important message.

Reply
  15. MadiR

Through out tonights chapter, we learn more about the two main characters and their dream of life on their own farm. “Lennie said, ‘Tell about that place, George.””I jus’ tol’ you, jus’ las’ night.” “Go on—tell again, George.” “Well, it’s ten acres, said George. Got a little win’mill. Got a little shack
    on it, an’ a chicken run. Got a kitchen, orchard, cherries, apples, peaches, ‘cots, nuts, got a few berries. They’s a place for alfalfa and plenty water to flood it. They’s a pig pen—”
    “An’ rabbits, George.”(pp. 56-57) In the reading George describes the farm in more detail to Lennie but Candy overhears. Candy wants to join in on the farm, he offers his life savings to buy it with them. The farm in a whole comforts the men. When Lennie is getting beaten up by Curley he afterwards goes back to thinking about his bunnies on the farm and that makes him feel better. The farm represents freedom for the three men. Once the men get to the farm they are free of being told what to do and instead of working on a ranch they can work on their own farm with their own hours. The fantasy of the farm has now become very real thanks to Candy.

Reply
  16. trinityt

In this chapter, what interest me is Lennie’s innocence. One night, Lennie hurts Curley, but he didn’t mean it. While Curley was looking for his wife, he came into the bunkhouse that George and Lennie was staying in. He was having an argument with Slim, and sees Lennie laughing and gets mad because he thought Lennie was laughing at him, but Lennie was just thinking about his dream place. However, Curley didn’t know that, and starts a fight with Lennie. George didn’t want Lennie to get beaten by Curley, especially when he care for Lennie and knows that Lennie can defend himself if he tells him to. So George tells Lennie to fight back to defend himself. So Lennie did what he was told, but he doesn’t seem to know his strength and how to control it, and ended up hurting Curley more than he needs to. Due to Lennie’s innocence, he would have never hurt anyone on purpose, but it’s also due to his innocence that hurts others and animals around him. In the past, his aunt gave mice, but he always ended up killing them by accident. Although he didn’t mean any harm because of his innocence, he still ends up hurting animals and those around him. Lennie’s actions cause harm to others, yet he doesn’t understand that and isn’t fully exposed to it all.
    In the future, I think that Lennie would have to be exposed to the weight of his actions, even though he might not mean any harm.

Reply
  17. Casey

In this section, I noticed even more animals. All of the animals mentioned so far, such as the mouse and Candy’s old dog were gotten rid of. In the beginning of the novel, George gets mad at Lennie because he was petting a dead mouse in his pocket. George takes the mouse away from Lennie and throws it. George saw the mouse as useless and something that would only cause problems in the future. Lennie thought that the mouse was important, but ended up agreeing to give it up.

In the scene with Candy’s old dog, there are multiple people telling candy that he should shoot the dog and get rid of it. They claim that the dog is useless now that it’s older. At first, Candy disagreed, explaining how he’s had the dog for a long time so he doesn’t want to kill it, but eventually, he lets the dog go. I thought that the animals could be relating to Lennie in a way. especially in the beginning of the book, Lennie is often compared to an animal. Lennie has some sort of mental disability and needs a lot of help simple tasks such as remembering certain things. Although they are not related, George is always with Lennie and watches out for him. Lennie needs George but George does not need Lennie. Lennie is only going to slow George down in the future. I wonder if the scenes with animals are foreshadowing for a time where George has to leave Lennie. George has a strong relationship with Lennie, but Lennie is only going to cause more problems for George.

Reply
  18. Sophie

In Of Mice and Men up to page 65, I have noticed an important lesson arising. Despite the fact that Lennie obviously has some sort of disability, it takes nothing away from the goodness of his heart. “He’s a nice fella,” said Slim. “Guy don’t need no sense to be a nice fella. Seems to me sometimes it jus’ works the other way around. Take a real smart guy and he ain’t hardly ever a nice fella.” (p. 40) Lennie has never intentionally done wrong by a person. For instance, when he kills tiny animals, his intentions were only because he loved the hold them. Also when he clutched onto the lady’s dress back in Weed, he didn’t mean to frighten her, he naturally gravitated towards it and simply didn’t understand when to stop. Lennie only ever looks out for people because he has a compassionate and kind soul. Just like Slim said, I too believe that a good heart dominates any form of intelligence of a man. Steinbeck is portraying this message because it is very important to know how to treat people like Lennie. Just because somebody may look different or act different or not be as smart as you, it does not mean that they are any less of a person than you.

Reply
  19. Brishti Sarkar

Something I found interesting in this chapter is how the theme of privilege is being portrayed. This can be seen during the conflict between Curley and Lennie. The two people involved are quite different. Curley is the son of the boss, and is much more adept mentally than Lennie. While he has all of the privilege, he is actually a terrible person. He hates Lennie for no good reason, and needlessly picks fights when Lennie has done nothing to him. Lennie, on the other hand, is kind, loyal, and loving, even if he is a bit mentally weak. Curley is jealous that Lennie is big, because he knows that he will always be small. When he picks a fight with him, he does not expect to have his hand crushed by Lennie. If the boss were to find out about the fight, Curley would most likely get sympathized with and Lennie would have a harsh punishment.

Reply
  20. josepha4

In the reading of Mice and Men we learn that smarts does not determine the full character of a person. After George and Slims conversation they discuss how Lennie certainly isn’t intelligent but he can still be a good person. “Take a real smart guy and he hardly ever a nice fella”.

Reply