December 18

“Run, Scout! Run! Run!” Jem screamed.

Open season!  You are free to write anything you like in response to chapters 27 and 28, or anything that interests you in To Kill a Mockingbird so far.

Also, as you read, be sure to annotate!  This will help you recall the text and help you find great passages to discuss in class.

As always be sure to respond to at least one other comment in this thread and proofread your writing for spelling , punctuation, and grammar.

Mockingbird blog #12

Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved.

Posted December 18, 2018 by equinson in category To Kill a Mockingbird

34 thoughts on ““Run, Scout! Run! Run!” Jem screamed.

1. Myles Ng

“Far from it,” he said, squatting down to me. “He’s got a bump on the head just like yours, and a broken arm. Scout, look that way — no, don’t turn your head, roll your eyes. Now look over yonder. He’s got a bad break, so far as I can tell now it’s in the elbow. Like somebody tried to wring his arm off. . . Now look at me.”

This must be the injury that Scout talked about in the first chapter. Jem was 13 when he got it and after she talked about it she had flashed back to when he was 10. This scene from the very end of the book connects to a what seems like just a description of Jem, turns out to be connected to this scene. Bob Ewell dies in the process of attacking them, but it seems he tried to hurt his arm mostly. Maybe he didn’t wan’t to kill him, but hurt the thing he cared most about, playing football. I don’t think Bob Ewell knew about Jem’s passion for football and was just probably an odd coincidence. I wonder why Bob killed himself in the end. It could have been someone else but only Bob had the motive and showed the grudge against everyone related to the court case. This was probably just an attempt to take revenge on Atticus for exposing him as a fraud in the court trial.

Reply
  2. Kate Ma.

“Jem was becoming almost as good as Atticus at making you feel right when things went wrong. Almost—not even Jem could make me go through that crowd, and he consented to wait backstage with me until the audience left.”

This quote interested me because it gives a lot more insight to Jem’s older personality. I think that future Scout is describing this scene as she was making a joke out of the whole play, realizing that it was no big mistake from an older perspective. In previous chapters Jem was sort of stand-offish towards Scout as he was transitioning from childhood to adulthood. In this scene we see that Jem treats Scout with empathy and really cares for her. Older Scout expresses Jem’s personality as being like Atticus’s. This alludes to the fact that children replica their parents actions or personalities which is a big thing in Maycomb with everyone’s “reputation”. This scene interested me as it gives more information about Jem’s personality when he grows up.

Reply
  3. Laila Sayegh

“We laughed. Haints, Hot Steams, incantations, secret signs, had vanished with our years as mist with sunrise.”

This quote interested me so much because it shows just how much Jem and Scout have changed and also, Harper Lee uses symbolism to do so. Scout claims that things such as haints, or ghost, and incantations, or “magic spells”, don’t seem to phase her and her brother anymore. She says that they have vanished like “mist with sunrise”. Seeing the mist used as a simile reminded me so much of Great Expectations where mist was used as a symbol for uncertainty of what’s to come. In this case, it is used to show change. The mist vanished as the sunrise appeared and Scout and Jem’s fears had vanished as they grew older. The mist represents Jem and Scout’s beliefs in the past, while in Great Expectations, the mist represented the future. Also, the fact that the mist is vanishing into sunrise leads me to believe that the sunrise represents something as well. When you think about sunrise, you think about light and clarity. You’re able to see everything clearly. But with mist, everything appears to be foggy and you can’t see clearly. I think that this shows how as Scout and Jem are growing older, the mist, or things they were never able to understand, are fading away and the sunrise is shedding a light for them on the real world.

Reply
  4. Brishti Sarkar

Something I found interesting in To Kill a Mockingbird is the idea of getting what you deserve. This can be seen in the lives and deaths of Tom Robinson and Bob Ewell. Tom Robinson was wrongly accused of his crimes, and Bob Ewell was believed by most of the town. There was a unanimous verdict that Tom Robinson was guilty during the trial. Thus, Tom Robinson was sentenced to death. While trying to escape from the temporary prison, he dies after getting shot 17 times. Because he was innocent, Tom Robinson did not deserve this treatment, much like how it is a sin to kill a Mockingbird because it is so innocent. Even after he won the court case, Bob Ewell is still upset. He makes several death threats to Atticus, and goes as far as to try and attack Scout and Jem, and succeeds to hurt Jem. After that, he was found dead. He was a very bad person, and it seemed like he deserved this. Furthermore, it was his fault an innocent man was killed, so it is quite possible that this was going to happen to him, and the idea of karma plays a role here.

Reply
    1. trinityt

I agreed with karma playing a role here. Even though deaths are always horrible, I would be lying if I say that Bob Ewell didn’t get what he deserved.

Reply
      1. Zoe

I agree he got what he deserved. It also really surprised me when Atticus still believed he was a good man, even after the court case. I think it could possibly be the only time Atticus was wrong in the book. Great analysis!

Reply
  5. Emily

An interesting part about last night’s reading is that the readers are finally at the part of the novel where Jem breaks his arm. In the very first paragraph of To Kill a Mockingbird the reader learns that, “When he (Jem) was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.”(p.1) Although the readers knew that this had to happen at some point throughout the novel, it is still interesting to see the end of the book connect to the beginning. Furthermore, at the beginning, Scout writes that, “that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out.”(p. 1) Unbeknownst to the readers, Lee had already included that the Ewells would become a crucial part of the storyline. Lee includes the scene at the beggining of the novel, not only to introduce the readers to the characters, but to also force them to stop and predict what will happen. Moreover, Lee is also showing the readers that no matter how much Scout has changed, even at the end of the novel she still maintains the same mindset that the Ewells are not good people. Overall, it is intriguing to see how neatly the whole storyline is coming together at the end of the novel.

Reply
    1. Emma Garbowitz

That’s a really interesting point! I didn’t even realize that Jem breaking his arm was mentioned in the very beginning of the novel. I am really glad you brought it to my attention and I wonder if there are more things foreshadowing later in the book

Reply
  6. Emma Garbowitz

“Maycomb was itself again. Precisely the same as last year and the year before back, with only two minor changes.”

I found this quote very interesting for many significant reasons. First of all, I found this interesting because Scout is saying that everything went back to normal, or at least in Scout’s perspective. When she says this I think Scout means that everything went back to the way it was before the court case. Before the court case and the whole “Tom Robinson incident” there was still racism, but everyone seemed to get along decently well. Not everyone was caught up in the Finch’s business anymore and Jem and Scout didn’t have to go everyone being scared that people will call them or their father rude things. I think that the lives of the Finchs changed drastically from before the case, compared to during the case, and compared to after the case. But, in the end, everything went back to normal or Scout, Jem and Atticus and they didn’t seem to have many problems with racism afterward.
    Also, after I read this quote I was curious to think what actually was Maycomb’s original self. It was always racist and had many flaws within it so I don’t know when to consider it as its original self. I think you can look at Maycomb in many different ways but it depends on how you look at the situation it will allow you to understand in your own way. I am curious to figure out what exactly did Scout mean by this and why she said it at all?

Reply
  7. trinityt

“‘Bob Ewell’s lyin’ on the ground under that tree down yonder with a kitchen knife stuck up from under his ribs. He’s dead, Mr. Finch.'” (p.357).

In chapter 28, Scout and Jem was attacked by an anonymous person while walking home at night. Although the text didn’t say that it was Bob Ewell, I believe that it was him who attacked Scout and Jem. At the end of the chapter, Bob Ewell was found dead. Something that interested me from tonight’s reading was the ideas of karma, and justice along with what goes around comes around. In previous chapters, Tom Robinson had died. Although Tom was shot by the guards at the prison he was at, it was technically the Ewells’ fault. Tom Robinson was clearly innocent and did not committed any crime, but the Ewells framed him and accused him of a crime he didn’t do. If it was in today’s world, Tom would be found innocent and the Ewells would actually be found guilty, but the trial took place back then when racism existed in most of the place and even in the court of Maycomb. Unfortunately, Tom was found guilty because he was black and the Ewells was whites. As a result, Tom was send to jail, and that was where he died. The malicious Ewells started this whole mess by framing Tom, who was clearly innocent. Since an innocent man died because of the Ewells, it looks like karma and justice is coming after Bob Ewell for what he has done. At the end of chapter 28, Bob Ewell was found dead after trying to hurt Scout and Jem. Since it was Bob Ewell’s fault that Tom Robinson, an innocent man, died, the same thing happened to him.

Reply
    1. Mikayla Friedman

I agree that Bob Ewell certainly got what he deserved, but Tom Robinson didn’t! Not only was Tom Robinson convicted, but he was killed, which is definitely not what he deserved if he was innocent!!

Reply
  8. Zoe

Throughout the book, events have been occurring incredibly fast with many important scenes. However, when you take a moment to read a little slower you can see new and interesting things. One thing that really stood out to me was when Jem and Scout were on their way to the pageant and Cecil jumps out from a bush and scares them. Although it isn’t a pivotal point of the story, it foreshadows greatly towards what would happen when they came back from the pageant. When Bob Ewell comes out, he attacks Jem, thankfully dies, and Jem escapes with only a broken arm. This seems like the most important point of the story for me because it connects the reader all the way back to the beginning of the story where Scout begins with Jem breaking his arm. However, I’m still confused about how this connects to football. I believe she said it connected to football to confuse the reader and possibly make them think it was a light-hearted story to surprise them with the real storyline. Either way, the book has many confusing turns and this one was really the biggest one yet.

Reply
      1. angelicac1

The connection with the football also confuses me, but this novel is full of confusing connections so hopefully we can eventually figure out this connection.

Reply
  9. josepha4

This nights reading proves the saying “what comes around goes around”. As we previously read in the novel Tom Robinson’s trial was based off of a false statement that Tom had sexually assaulted Mr. Ewells daughter Mayella which was false. The only reason the accusation occured was because Bob was ashamed his daughter loved a black man and beat her. And the court the trial was unjust from the start. It contained a bias jury which consisted completely of white men. Because of the false accusation Tom Robinson was proven guilty of the sexual assault and sentenced to death. However, he tried to escape and was shot 17 times. This was essentially a planned murder. At the trial Bob Ewell had been made to look like a fool because Atticus tore apart his completely invalid story he had been angry ever since. Mr. Ewell decided to go after Atticus’ children to get revenge, after he charged at them with a knife he himself was impaled with it. It’s inferred that it was Scout’s doing when she bumped into him by accident.”I can’t conceive of anyone low-down enough to do a thing like this”. After all Bob Ewell got what he deserved, he left a family with no father and a working mother and he left his trash family with no husband or father, they might be better off without him though.

Reply
  10. Mikayla Friedman

Something that I noticed in the past few chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird was a change in aunt Alexandra and in her relationship with Scout. When aunt Alexandra first arrived in Maycomb, it was to give Scout a female influence, and to teach her how to be a lady, because she thought Atticus wasn’t doing a good enough job. Scout didn’t like her aunt very much; she didn’t want to wear dresses and be forced to attend Missionary Teas. However, throughout these last few chapters Aunt Alexandra changed. She seems to care more about Atticus, and to me she is learning to accept Scout for who she is, and not forcing her to be someone she is not. For instance, Alexandra, who was previously seen as a racist woman, seems to have compassion for not only Atticus for losing the case, but for Tom Robinson. When Atticus, Jem, and Scout come home from the trial, Aunt Alexandra says, “‘I’m sorry brother,’ she murmured. Having never heard her call Atticus “brother” before, I stole a glance at Jem, but he was not listening.” (p. 284) Alexandra feels her brother’s hurt when he loses the trial. In addition, she seems to feel sorrow when Tom Robinson is killed.
    “‘Tom’s dead.’
    Aunt Alexandra put her hands to her mouth. . .
    ‘Didn’t they try to stop him? Didn’t they give him any warning?’ Aunt Alexandra’s voice shook.

Finally, it seems as if aunt Alexandra has stopped forcing dresses and proper manners up Scout’s throat. I thinks he has accepted that Scout will always be the girl she is, a carefree and spirited young girl who likes to wear overalls and play with the boys. This is shown when Scout comes home from the pageant, and Alexandra hands Scout clothes. She gives her overalls, which Scout refers to as “the garments she most despised,” (p. 354) She has also started calling Scout ‘darling.’ I hope that with this unexpected change in aunt Alexandra’s behavior comes respect for all people, regardless of their skin color.

Reply
  11. maxwellw

Lee fills the night of the pageant with elements of foreshadowing, from the sense of foreboding that grips Aunt Alexandra just before Jem and Scout leave the house, to the ominous, pitch-dark night to Cecil Jacobs’s attempt to scare them. The pageant itself is an amusing depiction of small-town pride, as the lady in charge spends thirty minutes describing the exploits of Colonel Maycomb, the town’s founder, to the audience. Additionally, the reader can visualize the comical parade of meats and vegetables crossing the stage, with Scout, just awake, hurrying after them as the audience roars with laughter. In this way, as with the early snowfall, the fire, and the mad dog, the night of the pageant incorporates both the Gothic motif of the novel and the motif of small-town life that counterbalances it.
    A mood of mounting suspense marks Jem and Scout’s walk home. They hear the noise of their pursuer and assume it to be Cecil Jacobs, only to realize relatively quickly that they are in mortal danger. The attack is all the more terrifying because Jem and Scout are vulnerable: they are very near their home, in an area that they assume to be safe, and Scout, in her awkward costume, has no idea what is happening. Though Lee has spent a great deal of time foreshadowing the impending attack on the Finches, she manages to make the scene of the attack surprising.

Reply
  12. janem

“She left it at that. She brought me something to put on, and had I thought about it then, I would have never let her forget it:in her distraction, Aunty brought me my overalls. ‘Put these on, darling,’ she said, handing me the garments she most despised.” (p. 354)

Throughout the book, young Scout always assumes her Aunt didn’t like her and that she was a grouchy old lady. But in the hectic Finch household, with Jem unconcious and the sheriff on his way, Aunt Alexandra kindly handed Scout her beloved overalls. Aunt Alexandra always encouraged Scout to ditch her overalls and instead dress like a lady, in a big starched dress. But in this moment we see Aunt Alexandra handing Dcout her comfort clothes, and showing Scout that at the end of the day, she doesn’t care how Scout dresses or what she does, but that she only wants Scout safe.

Reply
    1. MadiR

I agree with what you said and I think that Aunt Alexandra finally shows how much she cares about Scout in this chapter by handing her the overalls.

Reply
  13. Hannah Pitkofsky

The thing that I found most interesting so far in To Kill a Mockingbird is the fact that the characters all grow and develop in many different ways throughout the course of the novel. This applies to smaller characters such as Tom Robinson and Aunt Alexandra, or to larger characters like Scout, Jem, and Atticus.

Scout and Jem both mature as the novel progresses because 1) this novel is a little bit of a bildungsroman and 2) they are both getting older from part 1 of the novel (Scout is 6/7 and Jem is about 10 years old) to part 2 (Scout is 8 and Jem is 12).

Other characters such as Tom Robinson change in a different way than Scout, Jem, and the younger characters in the novel. Tom changes by learning from his mistakes and by trying not to make the same mistakes again. Unlike Scout, and even Jem, who are both pretty innocent and unaware of the world around them, Tom and some of the older characters are living their lives as Maycomb really is and how the town really treats others who aren’t like themselves.

Reply
  14. MadiR

I don’t like it, Atticus, I don’t like it at all,’ was Aunt Alexandra’s assessment of these events. ‘That man seems to have a permanent running grudge against everybody connected with that case.

This passage was an example of foreshadowing. When Aunt Alexandra reveals this information the reader makes many predictions of what could happen next. It turns out that this quote relates to what Ewell does next with his “permanent grudge”. Ewell has not hurt everybody connect with the case yet. Ewell knows the best way to hurt Atticus is to hurt his children. Lee wrote this statement for a reason and it did not give too much away about what came next in the book, but it did get the reader thinking. This quote also proves how much Aunt Alexandra has changed throughout the story during her stay with Scout, Jem, and Atticus.

Reply
  15. Hannah M.

Something that interested me in tonight’s reading was the attack of Bob Ewell and how it connects to the beginning of this book and the fake scare performed by Cecil before the REAL attack. It was very frightning to read and included a lot of suspense which caught me reading more and more. Cecil jumped out from a bush when Scout and Jem made their way into a party. Scout and Jem jumped and were spooked. When making their way out of the party they were ACTUALLY attacked by Bob Ewell. Jem told Scout to run and Jem ended up with a broken arm, but thankfully Mr.Ewell died. Maybe this was a threat towards Atticus for sticking with Tom Robinsons trial and almost revealing the sad truth about Mr.Ewell. Also, at the beginning of the novel I recall Scout saying that Jem broke his arm due to football, but we learn that it wasn’t the real cause of Jem’s broken arm.

Reply
  16. stephaniec

“He thought he’d be a hero, but all he got for his pain was … was, okay, we’ll convict a Negro but get back to your dump.” (p. 335)

This scene between Atticus and Aunt Alexandra summarized the outcome of the trial. Even though Mr. Ewell won the case, he received little gain from it. This can be considered a hollow victory. After the trial, Mr. Ewell received no praise or resect, but instead was treated as if the trial never happened. However, Tom and Mr. Ewell or both dead now from a trial that should have never happened.

Reply
  17. jaclynl

The characters in the novel have changed a lot since we first saw them. As Scout and Jem are growing older, both of them are learning new things and maturing as a result of it. They start out in the novel in a “cocoon” and are blind to the world around them. But with age and experience, especially Tom Robinson’s trial, they begin to discover the reality of Maycomb. Scout, who started out as a blank slate, is beginning to have thoughts and opinions on the things that are happening around her. Jem is beginning adulthood, and is gaining so much wisdom as he realizes new things. Both characters have grown incredibly.

Another example of a character who has changed is Aunt Alexandra. When we first met her, she didn’t seem very likeable. She wanted Scout to be a lady and was not too accepting of who she wanted to be. But specifically in the last few chapters, she has also had a major change in her character. She seems to be so much more caring of Atticus and the kids, and isn’t as obsessed with Scout becoming a lady. Since she has been with the family for long enough to adjust, their morals and routines are rubbing off on her and as a result, she is becoming a better person.

Reply
  18. Maddie

During these chapters, many surprising and breathtaking events took place. First, Scout recaps all of the interesting things that had happened throughout the last year. Bob Ewell got a new job and lost it in just a few days. He also said that Atticus took his job from him, which worried some townsfolk, but not Atticus, of course. The next thing that happened was at Judge Taylor’s house. Someone broke in and was trying to steal from him. Aunt Alexandra thought that it was also the act of Bob Ewell, but there is no real evidence to prove it. The last thing that Scout talks about is Helen Robinson. She got a job at Tom’s old workplace, Mr. Link Deas’ house, but has to walk a mile out of the way to get there, because Mr. Ewell would bother her if she used the public road. Mr. Link Deas threatens Bob one day when he gets an alarming phone call from Helen, saying that he followed her there and was heading towards the house.

In the next chapter, it is Halloween. A terrible event occurs on this night. Scout finishes her pageant, and her and Jem are on their way home from the high school in the dark. Suddenly, they hear someone following them, buit can’t tell who it is. For a while they think it is just Cecil playing another joke, but they come to realize that a man is running towards them. He attacks the children, and breaks Jem’s arm, knocking him unconscious. We come to find out that the person in charge of the attack was Bob Ewell. This is discovered when he is found dead under the tree that they were near.

In the many events that occured throughout these chapters, Bob Ewell was almost always involved. This may have to do with him vowing to get revenge on Atticus if it’s the last thing he does, and, in fact, it is.

Reply
  19. Casey

I thought it was interesting that Harper Lee chose to include the pageant in the novel. It seemed insignificant but upon a closer look, it shows a lot about the town of Maycomb. First of all, Mrs. Merriweather creates a whole pageant about the history of Macomb County. She spends a lot of time bragging about how wonderful Maycomb is, and everyone watching seems to agree. No one points out that people are discriminated against everyday for something as simple as having a darker skin tone. This shows that most of Maycomb is blinded by their idea of a ‘perfect community’ when really there is no such thing. By claiming that Maycomb County is the greatest, they are completely disregarding their own actions. In a ‘perfect community’, I would think that anyone living there would feel safe and welcomed. In Maycomb, the African Americans live on the other side of town, and go to a different church than the whites. Tom Robinson was shot when he was a completely innocent man. He was killed by a white man, who was not arrested or sent to jail for doing so. The pageant was just a way to mask the hate and discrimination within Maycomb.

Reply
  20. Sunna

A theme that these two chapters really showed were, “What goes around comes around.” Bob Ewell completely destroyed Tom’s life, resulted in his murder, and ruined Tom’s wife and children’s lives. He deserved to die—and he did. Many people get away with crimes and injustices in the real world, but this showed that sometimes our actions have a way of coming back to us.

Reply
  21. angelicac1

Karma played a huge role in chapters 27 and 28. Bob Ewell did many horrible things such as making Tom Robinson’s life incredibly difficult and even murdering Tom. Not only that, but following Tom’s death, Bob repeatedly harasses Helen Robinson, Tom’s wife, when she is on her way to work. Bob’s actions only resulted with karma when he died because it was payback and a lesson for his wrongdoings. So overall, Bob Ewell really demonstrated the principle of karma because his actions that affected others took a turn to come back to affect himself.

Reply