September 25

Miserably I went to bed after all, and miserably thought of Estella, and miserably dreamed that my expectations were all cancelled, and that I had to give my hand in marriage to Herbert’s Clara, or play Hamlet to Miss Havisham’s Ghost, before twenty thousand people, without knowing twenty words of it.

Tonight, I would like you to respond to Chapters 30-33 in any way you choose. These chapters seem fairly varied to me, full of interesting details that may lead you to new questions or understandings about the themes and motifs presented in Great Expectations. You may choose a close reading of one small passage or scene, or you may choose to address the larger thematic questions touched upon in these chapters.  Also, I’m thinking that we can use your responses to focus our discussion in class.

As always, be sure to use specific details from the text in your response and be sure to comment on at least one other comment in this thread.

GE blog #10

Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved.

Posted September 25, 2018 by equinson in category Great Expectations

46 thoughts on “Miserably I went to bed after all, and miserably thought of Estella, and miserably dreamed that my expectations were all cancelled, and that I had to give my hand in marriage to Herbert’s Clara, or play Hamlet to Miss Havisham’s Ghost, before twenty thousand people, without knowing twenty words of it.

1. Myles Ng

In these chapters lots of things happen. I am going to analyze Pip and Estella’s relationship, its positives and negatives and its effects on Pip. Pip confesses to his friend, Herbert,”“Think of what she is herself. This may lead to miserable things – I know it, Herbert, but I can’t help it.” Pip adores Estella and knows that this will give him nothing but misery. “I have never left off adoring her. And she has come back, a most beautiful and most elegant creature. And I saw her yesterday. And if I adore her before, I no doubly adore her.””‘This may lead to miserable things.”I know it, Herbert,’said I, with my head turned away,’but I cant help it.'” Pip truly loves Estella, yet he knows it won’t work out. When Pip and Estella meet he is just more in love than ever. “In her furred travelling-dress, Estella seemed more delicately beautiful than she had ever seemed yet, even in my eyes.” I think this relationship in the end will only leave Pip heart-broken and destroyed.

Reply
  2. Emily

In chapters thirty to thirty-three many interesting things happened, but what I found to be the most intriguing was how Pip’s relationship with Estella changes. When Pip admits that he loves Estella to Herbert, he says “I have never left off adoring her. And she has come back, a most beautiful and most elegant creature. And I saw her yesterday. And if I adored her before, I now doubly adore her(page 248).” Although the readers have known all along that Pip is in love with Estella; his saying it out loud makes it official. I think that Dickens made Pip admit this so that we know for sure that the only person that Pip can end up with is Estella, or no one at all.

Furthermore, a crucial event that happens is that we learn how Estella really feels about Pip, once and for all. On page 265 Estella says “We have no choice, you and I, but to obey our instructions. We are not free to follow our own devices, you and I.” I think that Estella is saying this because she actually loves Pip, although she can not admit it. She is bound to Ms. Havisham and she has to follow her plan no matter how much she wants to ignore it.

With all considered, I think that Pip and Estella will eventually learn that they should follow their hearts and ignore Ms. Havisham. Since they are no longer near her, maybe london will be the perfect opportunity for the two of them to confess their love for eachother.

Reply
    1. Emma Garbowitz

I agree how Pip never stopped loving Estella and how it is almost impossible for him to stop even after knowing that she is tantalizing him and wanting him to love her just so she can break his heart.

Reply
    2. Laila Sayegh

I also believe that Pip stating his feelings of Estella out loud made it more official. I am really hoping that Pip ends up with Estella!

Reply
  3. Emma Garbowitz

Throughout chapters 30-33 many key events occurred. One thing I thought that was very important was that Estella seemed to be telling Pip how Miss Havisham planned out her life and it seems as though Estella must obey everything she is told to do by Miss Havisham. It is almost as if Estella was adopted in order to be like Miss Havisham’s “toy”. Miss Havisham will make decisions for her, and Estella will do anything she is told to do. The text states, “We have no choice, you and I, but to obey our instructions. We are not free to follow our own devices, you and I.” This shows how Estella is very serious about doing what she is supposed to do.
    Along these lines, I think Estella having to obey Miss Havisham has to do with something stated earlier in the novel. When Pip goes to Miss Havisham’s house the first time, he is first introduced to Estella and they play cards together. However, before they begin to play, it seems that Estella didn’t want to but then Miss Havisham told her she could break his heart and she instantly began to play with PIp. The text states, “Miss Havisham beckoned her to come close, and took it up a jewel from the table, and tried its effect upon her fair young bosom and against her pretty brown hair. ‘Your own, one day, my dear, and you will use it well. Let me see you play cards with this boy.’ ‘With this boy! Why he is a common laboring-boy!’ I thought I overheard Miss Havisham answer- Only it seemed so unlikely – ‘Well, you can break his heart.’ ‘What do you play, boy?’ asked Estella of myself, with the greatest disdain.” This shows how Estella is almost forced to do what Miss Havisham says in order for Miss Havisham to be happy. This brings me back to the point that years later, Miss Havisham is still in control of Estella’s life in order so she can break Pip’s heart. Even though Pip has a sense that Estella is trying to get Pip to love her (Miss Havisham’s plan)he still understands that she doesn’t love him but he keeps loving her anyway. The text states, “It was the first time she had ever called me by my name. Of course she did so, purposely, and knew that I should treasure upon it.” Therefore, I think Estella is using Pip as part of Miss Havisham’s plan to have Pip’s heart broken.

Reply
    1. mikaylaf

I agree! In addition, even though both Estella and Pip are being used by Miss Havisham, she has everything planned out so that Pip’s heart get broken, not Estella’s. A part of me thinks that Estella will try to be as gentle as possible with Pip, because they both know that everything will end the way Miss Havisham wants it to.

Reply
  4. jaclynl

In these few chapters of “Great Expectations,” a lot happened. One thing that I think has been interesting from the very start of the novel is Pip’s relationship with Estella. We know that he is hopelessly in love with her and we know that he has been holding onto these feelings through everything. Something that I found very interesting while reading was when Pip finally confessed his feelings to one of his friends, Herbert Pocket and Herbert told him that he has known the whole time. “You have always adored her, ever since I have known you. You brought your admiration and your portmanteau together. Told me! Why, you have always told me all day long. When you told me your own story, you told me that you had plainly been adoring her the first time you saw her, when you were very young indeed.” (pg. 247) This whole time, we have been reading through the eyes of an older, wiser Pip. We have gotten subtle hints through dialogue and actions, but for most of it, we only know how strongly Pip feels for Estella because the narrator (older Pip) told us that he had been nonstop thinking about her. I had never really thought about what this all looks like from the point of view of another character, such as Herbert for example. I think Dickens wrote this scene for a few reasons. First, I think that Dickens is telling us that Pip will never lose feelings for Estella. It has been so many years and the fact that Pip is finally admitting it aloud to another person is something to pay attention to. Also, Dickens is showing us how strongly Pip feels by giving us insight into another character’s point of view. If Herbert can tell that Pip loves Estella without him even having to say it, that just shows how much Pip really loves her. This one scene has shown so much about Pip along with the people around him.

Reply
  5. Sunna

In these chapters, some very important things happened. I think that the most important event was when Pip and Estella spoke. Estella told Pip about how influenced she is by Miss Havisham. Estella’s whole life seems to be controlled her. She has to do whatever she is told. She even comparing herself to Pip by saying, “We have no choice, you and I, but to obey our instructions. We are not free to follow our own devices, you and I.” Their conversation really changed the way that I look at Estella. If she started to think more for herself and stand up for herself and Pip, she could become a much better person. Maybe she’s secretly in love with Pip. Either way, I think that Estella holds a lot of potential that is being locked away by Miss Havisham.

Reply
  6. josepha4

In chapters 30-33, the situation most interesting to me is the re-introduction of Estella into Pip’s life after so much time and change in both characters. Estella seems to have a fatalistic attitude about her life’s work. That’s in contrast to Pip’s idea that anything can happen, despite his fear that he will never achieve his great expectations. Estella must obey all of Mrs. Havisham’s rules and seduce Pip into abiding by them also. “We have no choice, you and I, but to obey our instructions.” She also seems very precise about her facts such as the distance to her destination how they will get there and what will occur before they begin their journey. It seems all mapped out. Estella seems both better and worse simultaneously. To Pip, and others, she keeps becoming prettier and prettier but she makes him more and more unhappy in more and more complicated ways. He knows that he shouldn’t fall for her, but despite his inner knowledge that she’s bad for him can’t help himself: “and I stood looking at the house, thinking how happy I should be if I lived there with her, and knowing that I never was happy with her, but always miserable.” He seems to be compelled to make the wrong choices even as he watches himself make them. He even willfully ignores Estella’s confession to him that she has no heart. He also ignores Ms. Havisham’s almost witch-like command to “love her” that would have made any wise person run. Despite being so bothered by Pip’s foolishness, it’s interesting to see how Estella’s plan to break Pip’s heart will unfold. We are curious about how the plot will unfold, maybe much as Mr. Jaggers appears to be, we all know Pip is headed for disaster. We both feel for him and begin to genuinely dislike him. He is making such poor choices that we are beginning to hope he pays for some his more foolish mistakes, but not likely as badly as he actually will.

Reply
  7. mikaylaf

Reply
  8. mikaylaf

Sorry about posting my comment twice (I didn’t realize), but here is my actual blog. 🙂

In these chapters, Pip’s relationship evolves with both Estella and Herbert. I think Pip’s relationship with Herbert is very important, therefore I am going to analyze it. At this point in the novel, Pip truly regards Herbert as a friend. I think Herbert is like a positive influence on Pip. In the beginning of chapter 30, Pip confides in Herbert. He tells him about his love for Estella, and how he cannot get her off his mind. Much to Pip’s surprise (and mine!), Herbert says he’s known about Pip’s love for months. Evidently, Pip isn’t so secretive when it comes to his feelings. Instead of telling Pip to forget about his love, Herbert tells him to stay optimistic about Estella loving him back. The text states, “‘What a hopeful disposition you have!’ said I, gratefully admiring his cheery ways.” (page 249) However, a page later Herbert contradicts himself by telling Pip how getting involved with Estella might make him miserable in the future. He asks Pip if he can detach himself from her, to which Pip answers that he can’t. Herbert states, “‘Think of what she is herself (now I am repulsive and you abonimate me). This may lead to miserable things.’
    ‘I know it Herbert,’ said I, with my head still turned away, but I can’t help it.’
    ‘You can’t detach yourself?’
    ‘No. Impossible!’” (page 250)

In a way, Herbert is like Pip’s conscience. Now that Pip doesn’t have Joe, he doesn’t have anyone to go to for advice or help, except for Herbert. I am looking forward to seeing how Pip’s friendship with Herbert will continue to grow throughout the novel.

Reply
  9. Laila Sayegh

In chapters 30-33, there were many different storylines going on but the one I am choosing to focus on for tonight’s blog is the development in Pip and Estella’s relationship.
    We first hear about Estella in tonights reading when Pip and Herbert are conversing about her. Herbert is trying to convince Pip that he needs to separate himself from Estella and that falling for Estella is not a good decision. Herbert says to Pip, “You can’t detach yourself?” and Pip responds with, “No. Impossible!” (Pg. 250) This clearly shows that if Pip’s strong feelings for Estella are changing at all, they are definitely escalating. For some reason, I find it odd that Pip’s feelings for Estella have not faded since he did develop those feelings when he was just a boy and now he is a young man. Usually, a person’s feelings change over time but not these ones. This further shows how much Pip truly does love Estella.
    We soon find out that Estella is going to go to London. She writes Pip a letter telling him the news. Narrator Pip states, “My appetite vanished instantly, and I knew no peace or rest until the day arrived” (Pg. 259) Pip was anticipating Estella’s arrival in London and absolutely could not wait to meet up with her. Finally, the day had come. When Estella arrived in London, she was wearing a large fancy gown and brought many bags with her. Instead of kindly greeting Pip, she immediately she tells Pip that he must take care of her. This shows that Estella’s true personality is not changing very much. One thing I found very interesting is when Estella calls Pip by his first name. Narrator Pip claims, “It was the first time she had ever called me by my name. Of course she did so, purposely, and knew that I should treasure it up” (Pg. 270) In my opinion, Pip is giving Estella too much credit. I personally do not think that Estella said Pip’s name for the purpose of having him treasure it. I think it has to do with how close they are getting. As Pip and Estella grow closer, she will get more comfortable with him and moments like these show us that change.
    The development shown between Estella and Pip in these last few chapters is very important and I hope that Estella and Pip do end up together. Slowly but surely, I think Estella is starting to care more for Pip and he clearly does care for her. Although Biddy is a good person, I prefer Estella more because Estella claims that she has no heart, but it would be very ironic and interesting if maybe Pip can bring that out in her.

Reply
    1. Casey

I also find it odd that Pip still has the same feelings for Estella. I would think that since he was older, he would have started to realize that Estella was very mean to him when they were kids at Miss Havisham’s house.

Reply
    2. MadiR

When Herbert speaks to Pip about forgetting Estella it shows that Herbert is a true friend who cares about Pip. Herbert tells Pip that what he is about to say will make Pip unhappy, but since Herbert is such a good person and friend he continues on and tries to talk Pip into forgetting about carrying on a relationship with Estella. Pip too cares for Herbert as he heeds his advise although he feels he is not able to forget about having a relationship with Estella.

Reply
    3. Casey

I also find it odd that Pip still has the same feelings for Estella. I would think that since he is older now, he would have realized that Estella was very rude to him when they were kids at Miss Havisham’s house.

Reply
  10. Kate Ma.

Pip’s love for Estella becomes stronger and irresistible in these past chapters. Pip can’t stop thinking about Estella and wants her to fall for him like he did for her, but it’s extremely difficult when Estella refuses everyone’s love. Pip even admitted to his friend, Herbert his love for Estella. For instance, “I have never left off adoring her. And she has come back, a most beautiful and elegant creature. And I saw her yesterday.And if I adored her before, I now doubly adore her.” Pip’s feelings for Estella are real and Pip would do anything to gain Estella over. For example, the only reason Pip did all this gentleman learning was to possibly have Estella. Pip never actually wanted large sums of money, all he wanted was Estella. I think that Estella subtly warns Pip many times about his strong love and what’s he getting himself into by loving her. Estella knows that under Ms. Havishams influence/rules almost, that Estella has to break his heart and maybe Estella doesn’t want to break Pip’s heart so that’s why she’s giving him hints to back away. Pip’s love for Estella is so strong that he ignores her hints. Pip’s and Estella’s relationship changes over these past chapters.

Reply
    1. Hannah M.

I totally agree that Pip’s feelings have gotten much stronger amd that Estella really does love Pip but doesnt want him ti get hurt!

Reply
    2. Hannah Pitkofsky

I agree because Estella mentioned earlier in the novel that she “has no heart”, so maybe she’s trying to protect Pip, but he doesn’t know it yet.

Reply
  11. Hannah M.

Many important events occur in chapters 30-33. In my opinion the most important scene was when Pip and Estella spoke. This scene is important because it shows how Estella feels about Ms.Havisham being the boss of her and teaching Estella “her ways”. Estella does what she’s told and does not rebel. Estella is afraid of being in a real relationship because she’ll just wind up breaking the mans heart. their conversation changed my perspective of Estella as a character. It made me feel that Estella really does love Pip and is just trying to hide it so Pip doesn’t get hurt. If Estella really tried to be a better person and be independent from Ms.Havisham I think Pip and Estella’s relationship can work out! All of Estellas unique personalities and true feeling are locked away by Miss Havisham!

Reply
    1. Maddie

I agree that it is important to know that Estella doesn’t know any better, and just does as she is told by Miss Havisham.

Reply
  12. janem

Many events occurred in chapters 30-33 of “Great Expectations” by Charles Dickens. A specific quote on page 271. Pip writes, “…, thinking how happy I should be if I lived there with her, and knowing that I never was happy with her, but always miserable.” A constant conflict throughout the book has been Pip’s relationship with Estella, and I think the previously mentioned quote sums it up perfectly. Pip adores Estella’s beauty and desirableness, and has longed to marry her. She was the reason he wanted to become a gentleman and uncommon. But despite her beauty, Estella hasn’t shown too many pleasant characteristics. She was the one who haunted Pip as a kid, made him cry, and made him ashamed of Joe. Pip is also such a nervous wreck around her, in fear of losing her. But the readers, and I think Pip, knows that he isn’t meant for her, she is too snobbish for him and makes the confidence drain from Pip the moment she shows up. As beautiful as she may be, she isn’t the right person for Pip.

Reply
  13. Maddie

In chapter 30, Herbert and Pip have a confidential conversation. Pip tells Herbert that he is in love with Estella, thinking this will take Herbert by surprise. Herbert, on the other hand, knew this all along. Herbert says that Pip did not have to tell him, but it was evident through his actions that he adores Estella. “‘I know it, Herbert,’ said I, with my head still turned away, ‘but I can’t help it.’
    ‘You can’t detach yourself?’
    ‘No. Impossible!’
    ‘You can’t try, Handel?’
    ‘No. Impossible!'” (pg. 250)
    Then, they discuss the fact that Herbert is engaged. He is engaged to a girl named Clara.
    “‘May I ask the name?’ I said.
    ‘Name of Clara’ said Herbert.
    ‘Live in London?’
    ‘Yes.'”
    The two gentlemen have become great friends, and are able to talk to each other about their secrets, and their deepest thoughts. I am interested to see how Pip and Herbert’s friendship progresses, and can’t wait to read more!

Reply
    1. mirandak

I totally agree with your anticipation to see how their friendship will grow! I think these two have the potential to become the best of friends in the future, and it makes me want to continue reading even more!

Reply
  14. Casey

In these chapters, Pip and Estella’s relationship continues to evolve. This all starts when Pip heads back to his home. There, he meets with Estella again and she explains that she feels like she needs to follow Miss Havisham’s instructions. This gives Pip hope that he will someday marry Estella. Throughout the novel so far, Miss Havisham whispers to Estella “Break his heart.” This makes me wonder if Estella is going listen to her, or fall in love with Pip. I don’t think that Pip really loves Estella. He is only blinded by her beauty. I am curious to see how their relationship continues to evolve throughout the story.

Reply
  15. Hannah Pitkofsky

These chapters delve deeper into the love life situations arising throughout the story. Pip wants to be with Estella, so he moved to London to try to become a gentleman to impress Estella, and now he sees Estella for the first time in years since he left. The encounter is a bit awkward, but Pip still has feelings for her, and wants to tell someone. So, he decides to tell Herbert, who apparently knew all along! He tells Herbert, “I have never left off adoring her. And she has come back, a most beautiful and elegant creature. And I saw her yesterday. And if I adored her before, I now doubly adore her.” Herbert tells Pip that he could tell the whole time, and then tells Pip something exciting that is occurring soon: a wedding between him and Clara! The two young men have had a growing friendship, and maybe that means Pip will have a part in the wedding! I can’t wait to find out!

Reply
  16. MadiR

In chapter 33, after Estella arrives in London she has Pip bring her to tea. In this chapter, Dickens reveals more to the reader about Estella’s character. Estella inquires how Pip is getting on with Mr. Pocket. “How do you thrive with Mr. Pocket?”(page 266) When Pip responds hesitantly, “As pleasantly as I could anywhere, away from you.” (page 266) Estella calls him a silly boy. Estella remarks that Mr. Pocket is superior to the rest of his family. Estella goes on to confide in Pip that the rest of Ms. Havisham’s relatives are constantly misrepresenting him to Ms. Havisham and she further reveals their hatred of Pip. Estella takes delight in the fact that Ms. Havisham will never believe her relatives and this torments the relatives. Estella, now, for the first time, speaks frankly to Pip about herself and her childhood with Ms. Havisham’s relatives. Estella states, “For you were not brought up in that strange house from a mere baby. – I was. You had not your little wits sharpened by their intriguing against you, suppressed and defenseless, under the mask of sympathy and pity and what not that is soft and soothing. – I did.” (page 267). This section of the book leaves me questioning Estella’s motives. Was Estella revealing this information to Pip in order to upset Pip, as she had a habit of doing in the past or was she actually opening up to Pip outside of the company of Ms. Havisham. Will Estella continue to confide in Pip to form a friendship or will she continue to confide in Pip in order to torment Pip? Overall the relationship between Pip and Estella has progressed in this chapter.

Reply
  17. stephaniec

In chapters 30-33 many key events occured. One small scene that I would like to address, is a when Estella and Pip first meet in London. As shown in previous chapters, Pip and Estella have had a very complicated relationship and in spite of always being miserable around Estella, Pip can not stop himself for continuously falling madly in love her. Pip thought to himself, “Yet the room was all in all to me, Estella being in it. I thought that with her I could have been happy there for life. (I was not at all happy there at the time, observe, and I knew it well.)” (page 266). Pip had admitted to us and himself that he was truly unhappy around her, but something about her was so compelling that it overruled what he was really feeling. I think that Pip and Estella have a very confusing relationship and that it will continue to be like that throughout the rest of the novel. In addition, I think Charles Dickens’ made it this way so that the reader would be attentive to the interactions between Pip and Estella, and make the reader want to know more.

Reply
  18. Rcey Ortega

In the beginning of chapter 32, Pip receives a letter from a person with unfamiliar handwriting. However, after he read it he saw that it was from Estella. She is coming to London and wants to meet up with him. “I am to come to London the day after to-morrow by the mid-day coach. I believe it was settled you should meet me? At all events Miss Havisham has that impression, and I write in obedience to it. She sends you her regard.
    ‘Yours, Estella.'” (Pg 259)
    In the beginning of chapter 33, Pip meets Estella. When Estella speaks to Pip, it seems to me that she thinks better of Pip now but still bosses him around. Pip gets Estella a coach and as they wait, Estella tells Pip that people he knows talk about him behind his back. She then tells him all she’s been through and that he’s been through non of it. “For you were not brought up in that strange house from a mere baby. – I was. (Pg 267) When Pip and Estella arrived to their destination, she called him Pip and knew he would love it. “It was the first time she had ever called me by my name. Of course she did so, purposely, and knew that I should treasure it up.” (Pg 270) I think Estella is starting to change and starting to like Pip. She just covers it up with her personal problems, and if not, she says that she is mean and has no softness in her heart. I am looking forward to see how Estella changes her opinions on Pip.

Reply
  19. angelicac1

Throughout chapters 30-33, something that is touched upon a lot is Pip’s relationship with Estella. Their relationship frustrates me because reading about Pip struggling with his feelings for Estella is something that I don’t enjoy. Pip is hopelessly in love with Estella, but Estella’s too irresistible for him and she acts like she taunts him. Estella is definitely not someone who I would ever picture Pip with. She isn’t the right person for him, but Pip is so blinded by her allurement which causes him to fall for Estella even more. I hope that Pip will one day realize that Estella truly isn’t right for him and that he will move past his feelings.

Reply
    1. trinityt

I agree that Pip is hopelessly in love with Estella. Even though he knows that being with Estella will make him miserable, he can’t help, but still love her.

Reply
  20. Sophie

Throughout chapters 30-33, Pip and Estella’s relationship were a key part. Not only is Pip falling more and more in love with her, but I think Dickens is starting to hint that there may be more to Estella than what he has shown already. I predict that Estella is going to change in the future, and stop letting Miss Havisham control how she feels about Pip, (hence the pressure she’s putting on Estella “to break his heart”). It is clear to everyone that Pip shows a great deal of love for Estella. I found it really funny how when Pip finally warmed up to Herbert, enough to tell him about his Estella feelings, Herbert already knew! That just shows how big of an aspect Pip’s romantic feelings are to the book, and will definitely continue to progress and add much action and conflict to the rest of the story!

Reply
    1. Zoe

I agree that Dickens is hinting that there is more to Estella than meets the eye. Especially when she opens up to Pip by saying that Mrs.Havisham is an imposter of a woman with her planned out life you can see Estella’s defiance against having no heart.

Reply
  21. mirandak

As I read chapters 30-33, I continued to delve deeper and deeper into Pip’s mindset, his reasoning, and his entire journey as a whole. However, while there were certainly quite a few significant events within these pages, I found one scene in particular that caught my attention the most. Essentially, in chapter 30, once Pip had finally returned back from his visit to his old town and had met up with Herbert in Barnard’s Inn, they began to have quite the conversation! In short, they barely conversed for long before Pip decided that he should like to impart a certain confidence of his onto Herbert. For instance, this is shown when in the text it states, “Dinner done and we sitting with our feet upon the fender, I said to Herbert, ‘My dear Herbert, I have something very particular to tell you.’
    ‘My dear Handel,’ he returned, ‘I shall esteem and respect your confidence.'” (p.247)
    Firstly, even before he had revealed what exactly the secret was to Herbert, who was respectably and patiently waiting to hear what he had to say, the very fact that Pip would trust Herbert so dearly with his secrets when they hadn’t even known each other for quite long (and to think, the first time they were acquainted, they fought each other). The very notion of it showed me, as a reader, just how much Pip’s relationship with Herbert had progressed over his stay in London so far! When they had reunited with each other in London, I highly doubted that they would ever get along, because there was “history” between the two of them. Basically, my thought process was that you wouldn’t suddenly befriend someone you had only previously met when you had engaged in a duel with them! Also, if they somehow did, I should have at least thought that it would have taken a much longer time to develop their friendship, and let go of their grudges and differences from the past. However, the moment they saw each other in London, they began to act like mature young gentleman, and still treated each other with due respect even though they had fought! Now, even though not so much time has passed, they have become close enough for Pip to feel comfortable in confiding to him, as if Herbert were perhaps an old friend that he has known for ages! This really goes to show just how far they have come, and I can’t wait to see how their friendship will grow even further in the future.
    Also, due to their constantly developing relationship, I wonder if Herbert will almost represent the characters of Joe and/or Biddy during Pip’s time in London. This is because, if you were to think back to Pip’s relationships with Biddy and Joe, he had grown quite close to them, and even resided with them for a long time! Biddy, who had been his first real tutor/instructor (and who could have been a possibly love interest), and Joe, the father figure of his life, the only person who was there to support Pip every step of the way. But, now that they were out of the picture, as Pip’s life had caused him to mostly drift away from them, we now see Herbert in their places. He is always so kind, polite and gentle with Pip, as if Pip is his own sibling! He constantly gives Pip advice, and even offered to teach him in the ways of what is considered proper etiquette and manners in the grouping of higher society which Pip aspires to belong in! All in all, Herbert is simply a wonderful and good-natured character, just as I found the characters of Joe and Biddy to be!
    On a different note, the scene escalated even further once Pip actually told Herbert his secret: He was so deeply and desperately in love with Estella, to which Herbert only replied in simple agreement! He proceeded to explain to Pip that he had known for quite a long time now, as Pip had spoken of her with such admiration when he had only first met Herbert and told him of how he had come into this fortune, his past, etc. This completely dumbfounded Pip, and me along with him! For example, this is shown when in the text it states, “‘Herbert,’ said I, laying my hand upon his knee, ‘I love – I adore – Estella.’
    Instead of being transfixed, Herbert replied in an easy matter-ofcourse way, ‘Exactly. Well?’
    ‘Well, Herbert? Is that all you say? Well?’
    ‘What next, I mean?’ said Herbert. ‘Of course I know that.’
    “How do you know it?” said I.
    ‘How do I know it, Handel? Why, from you.’
    ‘I never told you.’
    ‘Told me! You have never told me when you have got your hair cut, but I have had senses to perceive it. You have always adored her, ever since I have known you. You brought your adoration and your portmanteau here, together. Told me! Why, you have always told me all day long. When you told me your own story, you told me plainly that you began adoring her the first time you saw her, when you were very young indeed.'” (p.247) This just goes to show just how much of a good listener Herbert is, and how he takes into account whatever anyone ever says to him with such respect. He is already so clearly a great friend to Pip, and will continue to listen to his issues, as well as support him, that I certainly believe that Pip and Herbert will become the best of friends really soon! I simply can’t wait to see how Dickens will continue to portray the friendship between the boys, and whether or not their bond will strengthen as they become better people because of each other, or if an unfortunate event will cause their friendship to come to a tragic end. Either way, I believe that the progression of their affiliation is definitely something to look out for as the story goes on!

Reply
  22. Zoe

In chapter 33, Pip meets Estella again after his last visit at Mrs.Havisham’s house. When Estella gets there, although Pip was very excited and nervous, he feels as though there is something strange about it. Estella is very proper and not much like herself before France and almost refers to herself in third person as though she must follow all directions given by Mrs.Havisham. She didn’t even say Pip’s name. Later, on the way to her new house, Estella explains that her whole life is already planned by Mrs.Havisham. At this point Estella opens up a bit more to Pip about her life growing up with Mrs.Havisham and her relatives. “For you were not brought up in that strange house from a mere baby. – I was. … You did not gradually open your round, childish eyes wider and wider to the discovery of that imposter of a woman who calculates her stores of peace of mind for when she wakes up in the night. – I did.”-pg267. You can briefly see how Estella actually feels towards Mrs.Havisham and her planned out life. However, she quickly goes back to her proper self and goes to her new house. That was definitely not how Pip expected it to go, but I believe he’ll be able to bet through to her.

Reply
  23. maxwellw

Much happens in tonight’s chapters. Firstly, Pip informs Jaggers about Orlick’s past and Jaggers fires the man from Miss Havisham’s employ. Pip is mocked by Trabb’s boy as he walks down the street. He returns in low spirits to London, where Herbert tries to cheer him up, though he also tries to convince him that, even if Miss Havisham is his secret benefactor, she does not intend for him to marry Estella. Pip receives a note from Estella, telling him to meet her at a London train station. He arrives early and meets Wemmick, who takes him on a brief tour of the miserable grounds of Newgate Prison. Pip feels uncomfortable in his surroundings, but Wemmick is oddly at home, even introducing Pip to a man who has been sentenced to death by hanging. A reason for the apprentice’s behavior may be a representation of the town’s attitude towards Pip since he “abandoned”. Pip also confesses his feelings for Estella to Herbert, who said: “When you told me your story, you told me plainly that you began adoring her the first time you saw her.” This brings up the question of who else might know this.

Reply
  24. trinityt

In chapters 30-33, Pip and Estella’s relationship was an important part in these chapters. Not only does Pip fall more deeply in love with Estella, but I think that Dickens is foreshadowing that maybe there’s more to Estella’s character than what we have already know. All this time, Estella listened and obey Miss Havisham, but maybe in the future she will be free from Miss Havisham’s control. As Pip’s feeling for Estella grow, he wants to tell someone about it. So he decided to tell Herbert about it. “‘I have never left off adoring her. And she has come back, a most beautiful and most elegant creature. And I saw her yesterday. And if I adored her before, I now doubly adore her.'” (pg.248). Turns out, Herbert already knew about Pip’s feeling toward Estella. It’s clear that Pip’s feeling for Estella play one of the major roles in this book since Estella is the main reason that Pip wanted to become a gentleman.

Reply
  25. Brishti Sarkar

In these chapters, many significant and interesting events occured. However, an interesting theme I found was explored in tonight’s reading was the theme of love. Love can come in many different forms, and it is often a misconception that love always has to be romantic. Pip is a very loving person, and he has loved many different people in many different ways. In these chapters, we see how Pip interacts with people that he “loves”. In a way, Pip essentially “loves” Herbert as a friend, and it was almost like Herbert was a brother and a part of a loving family that Pip never got to experience. Growing up, Pip never had a family that loved him and that he could confide in. Although Joe was loving towards Pip, he was much older than him and could not relate to Pip as they got older. Herbert, on the other hand, is a sweet, funny, and caring person who is Pip’s age, and they are comfortable talking about their deepest secrets. In fact, like any best friend, Herbert knows Pip’s secret without him needing to say anything. When Pip is telling Herbert that he (romantically) loves Estella, Herbert tells him that he already knows. Pip is shocked by this, but Herbert replies with, “Told me! You have never told me when you have got your hair cut, but I have had senses to perceive it. You have always adored her, ever since I have known you. You brought your adoration and your portmanteau here, together.”(p. 247). Almost all best friends can “read” the minds of their best friend, and they always seem to know whenever something is upsetting them, making them happy, or even if they have feelings for someone else. Both are very friendly with each other, and it is clear that they are the best of friends.

Another version of love, however, is romantic. This is represented by Pip’s feeling towards Estella. Pip is so blinded by love for her that he cannot see how miserable he is around her. He even says that he is “never happy with her, but always miserable.”(p.271). Pip constantly finds himself thinking about Estella, and he romanticizes what could be if him and Estella were a couple. In these chapters, while he might be more mature, is also very stupid and does not realize that Estella is a toxic person, and that he should be in love with someone who has a pure heart, not someone with none. In class, me and my group were discussing the possibility that Dickens portrayed the relationship of Joe and Mrs. Joe in a way to reflect how Pip’s life may turn out if he would marry Estella. We also talked about the chance that Estella may get a redemption arch. Although Estella has matured, it does not mean that she has changed for the better. She still views Pip in a negative light, and only portrays it in a different way. Love is a very powerful thing, and it is not always consistent. It is clear that Pip loves Estella very much, but Estella does not love Pip nearly as much as he loves her. Love makes his brain think irrational things, and it makes him do things that he wouldn’t normally do. A huge example is how he strived to become a gentleman only to please Estella. It made him think that if he was not of a high standard, that he was not good enough for her. This is a toxic way of thinking because if he wants to be in a relationship with anyone, that person should make him feel good to be himself and build him up, instead of breaking him down. Overall, Dickens portrays a strong theme of love in these few chapters that help shape the story of Pip’s life.

Reply
  26. johnh1

I think chapter 30 has a lot of good chemistry between Herbert and Pip. I think the dialogue in this section really shows their friendship. For example, when Pip tells Herbert that he loves Estella by saying “Herbert…… I love and adore Estella” Herbert responds by simply saying “Exactly . Well?”. I think Herbert knowing this about Pip completely really shows how well they know each other. There is another line that shows how well they Know each other. When Pip says “I never told you” Herbert responds “Told me! You have never told me when you have got your hair cut, but I have had senses that perceive it.” I just think this part of chapter 30 shows the bondd between them very well

Reply