September 18

“I am instructed to communicate to him,” said Mr. Jaggers, throwing his finger at me sideways, “that he will come into a handsome property. Further it is the desire of the present possessor of that property that he be immediately removed from his present sphere of life and from this place, and be brought up as a gentleman–in a word, as a young fellow of great expectations.”

Please read chapters 18 and 19 and annotate!

After you finish your reading, please discuss the above revelation.  You may want to consider how the great expectations affect Pip, even before he starts for London, and how they affect other characters.  What do these reactions to the news teach us about these characters?

Please be as specific as possible and be sure to use evidence directly from the text to support your ideas.  Think about Jaggers!  He would never assert anything without evidence.

Be sure to follow the rules of standard written English and to include many specific text-based details in your response.  Also, don’t forget to respond to at least one other comment in this thread.

GE blog #6

Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved.

Posted September 18, 2018 by equinson in category Great Expectations

43 thoughts on ““I am instructed to communicate to him,” said Mr. Jaggers, throwing his finger at me sideways, “that he will come into a handsome property. Further it is the desire of the present possessor of that property that he be immediately removed from his present sphere of life and from this place, and be brought up as a gentleman–in a word, as a young fellow of great expectations.”

1. mylesn

In these chapters Pip gets a handsome sum of money. “You’ll want some money. Shall I leave you with twenty guineas? In the beginning of the book you see Pip thinking one pound was a lot of money. A guinea is equal to 25 pounds. Pip was told he was going to be, “Immediately removed from his present sphere of life and from this place, and be brought up as a gentlemen-in a word, as a young fellow of great expectations.” This has been Pip’s dream now for the past few years. Pip is finally leaving his low social class and becoming a gentlemen. Everyone is now treating Pip very nicely and doing what ever he wants fro him. They did not treat him like this before. I think all they want is his money and they think by treating him nicely they will get a piece of his fortune. i think this money will change Pip. It will have some positive and negative impacts on him. I think now he will feel better about himself, but at the same time he will hate his new life because people will always pester him with something to do with his money. Either trying to ask for it or hover around him for it. As they say money can’t buy happiness.

Reply
    1. mirandak

Good point! There certainly is a positive and negative aspect of the new fortune! He will definitely gain a new sense of self-esteem and confidence (perhaps he might even become more like Estella with her arrogance and pride in her lifestyle?). As for the negative aspect, that actually sounds like a good idea! Maybe the direction the story is going is that, even in his new life, he will be discontent, and eventually realize that his old life wasn’t so bad after all!

Reply
  2. josepha4

In chapters 18-19 Pip encounters a large amount of money from a man named Jaggers, however Jaggers is not the benefactor just the lawyer, Pip has no idea who has indirectly given him the money. As soon as Pip get’s the money his demeanor immensely changed. He spoke condescendingly to his friends as if because of his money and because of his future to become a gentleman that he must be rude. We can see that this attitude he takes with Biddy upsets her greatly.”Biddy having rubbed the leaf to pieces between her hands and the smell of black currant bush had ever since recalled to me that evening in the little garden by the side of the lane said, Have you ever considered that he may be proud?” Biddy’s crushing the leaf to release her anger and disappointment in Pip’s behavior. Also, when Pip goes into town to acquire some clothing we see others change the way they look and treat Pip. As and example Pip goes to the tailor and the tailor doesn’t even care enough about Pip to come to him inside the store, however when Pip just happens to mention that he has come into some money the dynamic of the room changes. The tailor gets out of his chair and speaks to Pip as a gentleman and takes the time to measure and re-measure him. Another interesting thing that happened is that the tailors son, who was working and getting Pip’s cloth ready to be measured is treated awfully and with no respect, just like plenty of adults treated Pip before the money. Lastly we meet Uncle Pumblchook who always treated Pip as a tool. But not now, he completely sucks up to Pip for no other reason than perhaps Pip might give him some extra money. These chapters show us that money has benefits such as being able to buy materialistic things but the negatives greatly outweigh the positives, people are around you more for your money and not for your personality, and worst of all you start treating the people closest to you like they are below you, hopefully in the case of Pip he can eventually win Joe and Biddy’s forgiveness but first he needs to learn his lesson. Money is not the answer to everything in life!

Reply
    1. trinityt

I agree with your response, especially about how Uncle Pumblechook was treating Pip very differently, now that Pip has money, from how he used to treat Pip, which was very poorly.

Reply
  3. trinityt

In chapters 18-19, Pip was given a large amount of money from Mr. Jaggers. “You’ll want some money. Shall I leave you twenty guineas?” (pg.141). That’s not all! Pip also will get “brought up as a gentleman”, which has been his dream for a quite a while now. “‘that he will come into a handsome property. Further, that it is the desire of the present possessor of that property, that he be immediately removed from his present sphere of life and from this place, and be brought up as a gentleman- in a word, as a young fellow of great expectations.'” (pg.138)

Pip uses the money given by Mr.Jaggers to go buy new clothes for his departure to London. When Pip arrived at the clothes shop, the tailor was treating him like any other person, but when Pip told him that he was going to London to become a gentleman, and took out the money, the tailor treats Pip with more respect and sweet words. The tailor was measuring him and re-measuring him. While Pip was being treated like a higher class, the boy that was helping getting the clothes for Pip, he was treated like nothing as the tailor scold and ordering him around. Pip was treated nicely because he has money. It was the same with Mr.Pumblechook. Before Pip has any money, Mr.Pumblechook was always on Pip’s neck, and didn’t like Pip very much. Now that Pip has money, Mr.Pumblechook sucks up to him.

“Well! Joe is a dear fellow- in fact, I think he is the dearest fellow that ever lived- but he is rather backward in some things. For instance, Biddy, in his learning and his manners.'” (pg.148) While Pip and Biddy was talking, Pip brings up that while he is in London, maybe Biddy would improve Joe of his manners and his learning. “Biddy having rubbed the leaf to pieces between her hands- and the smell of a black currant bush has ever since recalled to me that evening in the little garden by the side of the lane- said, ‘Have you never considered that he may be proud?'” (pg.149) When Biddy was rubbing the leaf to pieces, it was to release her anger and her disappointment in Pip’s behavior and his opinion about Joe. Now that Pip is going to London to become a gentleman, and he has felt what it’s like to be treated by people when you have money, he is starting to act like the people that are closest to him are below him. Pip even said that Biddy was jealous of his rise in fortune during their talk. “‘I am very sorry to see this in you. I did not expect to see this in you. You are envious, Biddy, and grudging. You are dissatisfied on account of my rise in fortune, and you can’t help showing it.'” (pg.149)

This event has caused Pip to change and experience new feelings. The feeling of having money, the feeling of having people suck up to you, and the feeling like he is above people for a moment. I think that this is just the start of those feelings for Pip, and he will keep continuing to develop his character as time goes on.

Reply
    1. Casey

I think that Pip will have second thoughts about the life of luxury he thinks he’s getting. Maybe it won’t be everything he thought is was. His character will really continue to develop in the next few chapters.

Reply
  4. mirandak

Over the course of chapters 18-19, Pip’s desire to lead a life very different from his own finally comes true! At the very beginning of chapter 18, Pip talks of a strange man at the “Three Jolly Bargemen,” and after a heated conversation with Mr. Wopsle, he reveals his true intentions for his appearance at the public house that night: he had business to attend to with Mr. Joe Gargery and Pip. Next, they returned to the Gargery household to speak in a more private manner. The man then explained that he was named Mr. Jaggers, a rather well-known lawyer in London, who would also be the bearer of news that would change Pip’s life forever. Essentially, Pip was told that he was to be given a vast piece of property, be properly educated, and be raised/brought up or taught to be a gentleman (however the identity of the maker of his newfound fortune was not to be disclosed yet), which Pip could hardly believe. For instance, his response to this massive news is shown when in the text it states, “My dream was out; my wild fancy was surpassed by sober reality; Miss Havisham was going to make my fortune on a grand scale… ‘You will have no objection, I dare say, to your great expectations being encumbered with that easy condition. But if you have any objection, this is the time to mention it.’
    My heart was beating so fast, and there was such a singing in my ears, that I could scarcely stammer I had no objection.” (p.138)
    Essentially, he had only dreamed of this kind of life, and the fact that it was finally within his grasp, after all these years of endless yearning for a luxury (apparently, it had been four years since he began his apprenticeship to Joe), it was so breathtaking that he didn’t really know how to react to it.
    However, this opinion of the news was not shared among everyone who heard it. For instance, this announcement had a really bittersweet and heartbreaking impact on Biddy and Joe. Now, of course they wouldn’t interfere or stand in Pip’s way on his path to becoming a gentleman, and they would shower him with tons of congratulations, but deep down inside, I doubt that this is how they truly feel. Having grown up alongside Pip, Biddy being his first ever (real) teacher, and Joe being a father figure to him, they were sad to think of the fact that soon, he would leave them all behind. For example, their behavior towards the news is shown when in the text it states, “‘Pip’s a gentleman of fortun’ then,’ said Joe, ‘and God bless him in it!’
    Biddy dropped her work, and looked at me. Joe held his knees and looked at me. I looked at both of them. After a pause, they both heartily congratulated me; but there was a certain touch of sadness in their congratulations, that I rather resented.” (p.143) I really feel such pity for these characters, who have grown on me so much as I have continued to read this novel, and honestly, if I were in Pip’s position, I couldn’t bare to leave them! But, because he has made up his mind, I just hold on to the hope that he will consistently visit/keep in touch with them (make sure that they still stay a major part of his life).
    Also, Pip’s new fortune definitely caused even more characters in the novel to act “different” than usual. Basically, Pip had to travel all about the town and through the shops, as he had to purchase new garments to wear on his trip to London. Initially, when he first entered the stores, the shopkeepers barely regarded him, not giving him very much focus and concentration. However, once he brought up his reason for needing to obtain the new clothing, his trip to London, they were suddenly all ears. They proceeded to treat Pip with such kindness, and look after him with such precision and care that it was quite apparent for me what they were attempting to do. Perhaps, they thought that if they acted in this way, he would think of them as people of good business, and maybe recommend them to others (the higher-class folk), or even impart a portion of his fortune upon them! For instance, this is shown when in the text it states, “‘Mr. Trabb,’ said I, ‘it’s an unpleasant thing to have to mention, because it looks like boasting; but I have come into a handsome property.’
    A change passed over Mr. Trabb. He forgot the butter in bed, got up from the bedside, and wiped his fingers on the table-cloth, exclaiming, ‘Lord bless my soul!’ …
    ‘My dear sir,’ said Mr. Trabb, as he respectfully bent his body, opened his arms, and took the liberty of touching me on the outside of each elbow, ‘don’t hurt me by mentioning that. May I venture to congratulate you? Would you do me the favour of stepping into the shop?’ (p.150-151). Truly, this kind of mentality disgusted me. They only treated him well in hopes of gaining benefits from his affluence, when in reality, they should treat all customers/clients with the same respect and care as they did with Pip!
    Additionally, not only was this kind of reaction constant among the shopkeepers, but also in the one and only, Uncle Pumblechook himself. Fundamentally, by the time Pip had decided to pay him a visit, he had already heard of the big news, and plastered on a false smile and cordial attitude towards Pip. Pip himself mentioned that they must have shaken hands over 100 different times, and that Uncle Pumblechook spoke to him as if they had always been old friends/buddies. For example, this is shown when in the text it states, “‘But my dear young friend,’ said Mr. Pumblechook, ‘you must be hungry, you must be exhausted. Be seated. Here is a chicken had round from the Boar, here is a tongue had round from the Boar, here’s one or two little things had round from the Boar, that I hope you may not despise. But do I,’ said Mr. Pumblechook, getting up again the moment after he had sat down, ‘see afore me, him as I ever sported with in his times of happy infancy? And may I – may I – ?’ This May I, meant might he shake hands? I consented, and he was fervent, and then sat down again.” (p.153). While in the past, I had already had a strong sense of disapproval of Uncle Pumblechook’s character, this particular scene just made me despise him all the more. What does he expect from the child? The poor boy grew up in a household where he was constantly berated, scolded, insulted, and punished. Suddenly, you expect him to forget it all because of a false grin? Goodness! I really dislike how a lot of these characters only treat each other/have a better image of one another only based on their wealth! People have so many more qualities that could make them likable or not, rather than just the topic of the amount of money they have!

Reply
    1. Sophie

I really like your last sentence. I definitely think that that is one of the main themes in this book, and will maybe affect Pip in future events.

Reply
  5. Brishti Sarkar

Chapters 18 and 19 are big turning points in Pip’s life, and it effects both him and the people around him. At the beginning of chapter 18, a man named Mr. Jaggers, a lawyer from London, visits Pip with a large sum of money and tells him about his “great expectations”. He explains to Pip that he will be sent to study in London and become a gentleman. Mr. Jaggers, however, is just the lawyer, and Pip’s actual benefactor is to be remained unknown until they decide to reveal themself. Nevertheless, this is exciting news for Pip, as Mr. Jaggers says that, “the communication that I have got to make is, that he has great expectations.”(p.138). This has been a dream of Pip’s for a very long time, and he is in awe that it will finally become true.

This change immediately has an impact on the way Pip acts, and how others treat him. He goes into town with the twenty pounds from Mr. Jaggers to go buy new clothes, and the tailor treats Pip almost like royalty when he tells him why he is there. “My dear sir… don’t hurt me by mentioning that. May I congratulate you? Would you do me the favour of stepping into the shop?” (p.151) After he finished ordering everything he needed before going to London, he went to visit Uncle Pumblechook. He treats Pip extremely different than before he got the money. During his visit, Pumblechook repeatedly asks Pip if he may shake his hand, and refers to him as his “dear young friend”. He even credited himself for Pip’s success. “To think… that I should have been the humble instrument of leading up to this, is a proud reward.”(p.153). This is self-absorbed of Pumblechook to say, and it is very hypocritical for him to treat Pip with such respect once he receives a great amount of money whereas before he berated Pip for no reason, and it shows how people will only love someone when they gain something valuable.

However, this change has the most effect on Pip and those who love him the most, such as Joe and Biddy. After four years of apprenticing under Joe, Pip has gotten used to it, and Joe must have as well. Now, Pip is leaving to become a gentleman, Joe must be heartbroken. Of course, like any parental figure, he is happy for Pip and his future, but cannot help to be a bit sad. Early on in the novel, the two are described as “the best of friends”, and now Joe will have to carry on without Pip. Even worse is that Pip is ashamed of him, despite trying his best to care for Pip as much as he can. “What I had meant was, that when I came into my property and was able to do something for Joe, it would have been much more agreeable if he had been better qualified for a rise in station.”(p.148). I predict that when Pip is in London, he will come to a realization that Joe only wanted the best for Pip, despite his lack of education and manners. This change also effected Biddy. She will no doubt miss Pip, since they are best friends, but when Pip asks Biddy if she could teach Joe everything she knows so he would be worthy of Pip’s rank, they get into an argument, and we see how much Pip has changed. Still, Pip cannot help but to feel lonely, even before he sets out to London. One night, he overhears Biddy and Joe talking about him, and he could not sleep soundly that night, as he said that, “…it was an uneasy bed now, and I never slept the old sound sleep in it any more.”(p.146). Overall, this shows us how Pip has changed greatly since the beginning of the novel, and that he will certainly change much more in the future. The characters who love him will always miss him, and the next time Pip will return, it will be vastly different from when he last sees them.

Reply
    1. mikaylaf

I agree. I think Pip’s leaving will affect Joe and Biddy the most. I think you are right about your prediction. Pip may realize that he was too harsh on Joe and should never have been ashamed of the man who cares about him.

Reply
  6. stephaniec

In chapters 18 and 19, Pip’s one true desire was finally in his reach. At the beginning of chapter 18, Pip encountered a rather strange man at the “Three Jolly Bargeman”, who after sharing an intense conversation with Mr. Wopsle, aspired to have a conversation with Mr. Joe and Pip in a more secluded place. Therefore, Mr. Joe and Pip took the man back to their house. The man presented himself to be Mr. Jaggers, and shared his reasons for wanting to talk.““I am instructed to communicate to him,” said Mr. Jaggers, throwing his finger at me sideways, “that he will come into a handsome property. Further it is the desire of the present possessor of that property that he be immediately removed from his present sphere of life and from this place, and be brought up as a gentleman–in a word, as a young fellow of great expectations.”” Pip was longing for the moment that these words were to be said to him, for it was all he ever wanted and more! Pip was not only to gain a “handsome property”, he was going to raised to be a gentleman by a man who may not be named yet. He immediately agreed without any objections. This was going to be the start of a life that Pip believed he was destined for.
    Pip started his long journey, by going to buy new clothes for his new found life in London. The tailor acted informal towards Pip, for he was just some random customer. However, when Pip let it slip of his inheritance, the tailor went straight from putting butter on his breakfast to jumping out of bed saying “‘Lord bless my soul!’”. The tailor measured Pip and remeasured him, and showed a lack of respect to the boy in the store who was working, as he initially did to Pip. In addition, Mr. Pumblechook, who had never shown a liking to Pip, praised Pip as if they had been lifelong friends and as if he was royalty. “We shook hands for the hundredth time at least, and ordered a young carter out of my way with the greatest indignation.”(pg 156). In both scenarios, Pip was referred to as “Sir” and with the respect of a king, which only was out of hope for a piece of his fortune.
    Biddy and Mr. Joe, Pip’s two closest friends, were filled with mixed emotions about Pip’s sudden fortune. Although, they were both proud of Pip and delighted for him, they could not help but feel heart-broken. “Biddy dropped her work, and looked at me. Joe held his knees and looked at me. I looked at both of them. After a pause, they both heartily congratulated me; but there was a certain touch of sadness in their congratulations, that I rather resented.” Being that Joe was Pip’s almost father and best friend, and that Biddy was his first teacher, they both tried to put on a brave face for Pip, but it was evident that they were extremely upset that Pip was leaving.
    I think that Pip’s fortune, had and will greatly affect the course of the story, and that he will be treated differently and act differently. I can’t wait to find out what happens when Pip starts his training to be a gentleman!

Reply
    1. maxwellw

I find it really interesting that Dickens mentioned how Biddy and Joe both weren’t completely thrilled with Pip’s newly acquired wealth.

Reply
  7. mikaylaf

In chapters 18 and 19 of Great Expectations, Pip’s wish to be a gentleman and be part of the upper class life finally comes true! Pip and Joe are at the Three Jolly Bargemen when they meet a man named Jaggers. Later, at the house, Jaggers tells Joe and Pip that he has come to take Pip to London and make him a gentleman. Jaggers says, “‘Now, I return to this young fellow. And the communication I have got to make is, that he has great expectations.” (page 138) Jaggers proceeds to give Pip a large some of money, twenty guineas. The money is for buying Pip new and fancy clothes so that he can travel to London with Jaggers. I also think it is important when Jaggers mentions Pip getting tutored by a Mr. Matthew Pocket. Matthew is the man who Miss Havisham said would stand at her head when she is dead. Matthew’s last name, Pocket, interested me. Sarah Pocket, Miss Havisham’s relative, shares the same last name as Matthew. However, Sarah has a husband. In addition, if Matthew was Miss Havisham’s lover, why would he be related to Sarah? And if Matthew is Sarah’s father, that makes him related to Miss Havisham as well. This connection is strange, and I’m curious to see how it will play itself out.
    After Jaggers leaves, Joe is shocked at the suddenness of his announcement. Now, Pip has to tell Biddy that she is leaving. Biddy is also astounded at the news. The text states, “‘Pip’s a gentleman of fortun’ then,’ said Joe, ‘and God bless him in it!’ Biddy dropped her work, and looked at me. Joe held his knees and looked at me. I looked at both of them. After a pause, they both heartily congratulated me; but there was a certain touch of sadness in their congratulations, that I rather resented.” (page 143) I think that deep down inside, Pip is just as said as Joe and Biddy are.

The great expectations affect Pip, even before he starts for London. I think that Pip thought that once he became a gentleman, life would be absolutely perfect. But now Pip realizes that is not one hundred percent true. Pip has six days in between when he is visited by Jaggers and when he is scheduled to leave for London. In these six days, Pip gets new clothing and walks around with a lot of money, but it is these days that he is truly lonely. Pip feels “…it very sorrowful and strange that this first night of my bright fortunes should be the loneliest I had ever known.” (page 146)

The great expectations also affect other characters. Biddy and Joe are filled with mixed emotions about Pip leaving. One one hand, they are sad to see him go, as Joe was like a father and a very good friend to Pip, and Biddy was his first teacher and someone Pip could always confide in. On the other hand, both Biddy and Joe know this is what Pip wants, so they will not stop him. Pip’s fortune also affects the way townspeople and shop owners treat him. For example, when Pip goes to buy a suit, Mr. Trabb, the tailor, doesn’t think much of him. That is, until Pip says “‘… I have come into a handsome property.’ A change passed over Mr. Trabb. He forgot the butter in bed, got up from the bedside, and wiped his fingers on the tablecloth, exclaiming, ‘Lord bless my soul!'” (page 150) Mr. Trabb proceeded to help Pip with anything he needed, just because of the money. This behavior is humiliating to me. It is sad to think what money can do to people, to the point where the only reason they talk to someone is because of their wealth. Lastly, the great expectations affect Uncle Pumblechook immensely. After going to the tailor, Pip goes to Pumblechook’s house. Pumblechook is pretending like he and Pip are the best of friends. “‘My dear young friend,’ said Mr. Pumblechook, ‘if you will allow me to call you so-‘” (page 153)Pumblechook then serves Pip dinner and must’ve shaken his hand a hundred times.
    Now, Pip is traveling to London. I’m excited to see what awaits him there as he lives his life as a gentleman.

Reply
  8. Rcey Ortega

In chapter 18, Pip meets a man that he has seen before. He was a man that Pip saw at Ms. Havisham’s house, at Ms. Havisham’s stairs. This gentleman was a lawyer from London and his name was Mr. Jaggers. He came to see Pip because he had “great expectations”. ” Now, I return to this young fellow. And the communication I have got to make is, that he has great expectations “. (Pg 138) Mr. Jaggers tells Joe that Pip can leave this place and go to his place in London to become a gentleman. ” … he be immediately removed from his present sphere of life and from this place, and be brought up as a gentleman – in a word, as a young fellow of great expectations “. (Pg 138) This was Pip’s dream, how can he refuse this offer! However, if he left, that meant he had to leave his family behind and Biddy. Joe allowed him to accept the offer so Pip accepted it. Pip’s dream finally came true! He will become a gentleman! Mr. Jaggers gave Pip twenty Guineans so he can buy himself a suit. Pip went to a tailor’s shop. The tailor’s name was Trabb. Pip chose what material he wanted his suit and had it sent to Mr. Pumblechook’s home when it was finished. When Pip saw Mr. Pumblechook, he acted as if Pip were higher than him. He continuosly shook his hand asking, ” May I, may I “. On the other hand Biddy wasn’t so happy. She was mad that he was leaving. When the day came for Pip to leave and go to London, she was crying. ” I stopped then, to wave my hat, and dear Joe waved his strong right arm above his head, crying huskily, ‘ Hooroar!’ and Biddy put her apron to her face”. I think that Pip is going to take advantage that he will become a gentleman and start acting like Estella a bit. I am looking forward to see if Pip changes in volume 2. I want to see if I am right.

Reply
  9. Emma Garbowitz

Throughout chapters 18-19, it seems as though PIp’s greatest desire is beginning to come true. At the beginning of chapter 18, there is a strange man at the “Three Jolly Bargeman” who begins telling off Mr. Wopsle. However, once the strange man won the argument, he revealed that his true intention of coming here, was to speak with Joe and Pip about an opportunity for Pip that would soon change his life. So, they went back to Pip and Joe’s home where they could discuss what they needed to more privately. There, the man introduces himself as Mr. Jaggers, a very prestigious lawyer who lives in London. He then tells both Pip and Joe that he would like to offer Pip an opportunity to become a gentleman, read and write better, and live in riches and fortune. The text states, “I am instructed to communicate with him said Mr. Jaggers, throwing his finger at me, sideways, ‘that he will come into a handsome property. Further, that it is the desire of the present possessor of that property, that he be immediately removed from his presence fear of life and from this place, and be brought up as a gentleman-in a word, as a young fellow of great expectations.”Before he leaves he also gives Pip a sum of money to buy his new, fancy clothes to wear in London. Pip only has a week left in his home town with Joe and Biddy. This is the beginning of Pip’s new life and of everything he has ever dreamed for, including the riches and fortune he will be obtaining.
    For both Biddy and Joe, this is a bittersweet moment. This is because they are obviously both extremely happy for Pip to have this honor, but they are very upset that he will soon be leaving them for London to become a better gentleman and student. The text states, “After a pause, they both heartily congratulated me; but there was a certain touch of sadness in their congratulations, that I rather resented.” However, although they are upset to see Pip leaving, they are leaving the choice up to him whether to go or not and they will not stand in his way. However, I do think that it is going to be very hard for Biddy and especially Joe, Biddy was Pip’s first real teacher and over time they became very close friends and bonded over many different things. The pair really grew to like each other and created a beautiful, strong friendship and I am sure Pip will be missed dearly by Biddy, Although, Biddy will miss Pip, I think it will be even harder for Joe. Joe has been almost like a father figure to Pip but they also became best friends over time. Joe was always looking out for Pip and was always trying to protect him as best as he could. However, he knows he must let go and allow Pip to live out this amazing opportunity created for him. Therefore, this definitely had a huge impact on both Joe and Biddy.
    Also, after people realized that Pip had gained money, they began to act differently towards him. For example, when Pip has to go shopping for all of his new clothes, shoes, hats and more he first stops at Mr. Trabb’s shop to buy his first suit, he is first treated with disrespect and there was no regard for him. The text states, “Putting on the best clothes I had, I went into town as early as I could hope to find the shops open, and presented myself before Mr. Trabb, the tailor who was having his breakfast in the parlour behind his shop, and who did not think it was worth his while to come out to me, but called me in to him.” However, as soon as Mr. Trabb realizes of the fortune Pip obtained, he was glad to help him out. The text states, “A change passed over Mr. Trabb. He forgot the butter in bed, got up from the bedside, and wiped his fingers on the tablecloth, exclaiming, Lord bless my soul.” This shows how differently Pip was treated once the manager found out he actually had money. It was wrong of Mr. Trabb in the first place to disregard Pip let alone if he had money or not. As well as Mr Trabb, Mr. Pumblechook was treating Pip with more respect because he found out about the fortune Pip now had and how he is moving to London. Mr. Pumblechook pretended as though Pip and himself were always the best of friends and how they “always got along”. However, before Pip had this, Mr Pumblechook was not a nice person to him and treated him with very little respect at all. The text states, “My dear young friend, said Mr. Pumblechook, taking me by both hands, when he and I and the collation were alone, I give you joy of your good fortune. Well deserved, well deserved!” Before Pip had the fortune, Mr. Pumblechook would have never said any of this to him and most likely wouldn’t have been very nice to Pip at all. Therefore, Pip obtaining money had an impact on others too.
    Finally, I think that Pip going to London to become a gentleman had a huge impact on himself. Pip was unhappy with what he had before this and he is now getting an amazing chance to change his life into something he actually wants. Pip can finally live out his dreams and feel content about what he has done throughout his lifetime. However, I don’t think Pip realized he only had a few days left with his loved ones and he didn’t realize how fast they would go by. I think Pip still wants his family and he doesn’t know whether or not he made the right choice to leave his small town, Biddy, and Joe. The text states, “… and all beyond was so unknown and great, that in a moment with a strong heave and sob I broke into tears. It was by the finger-post at the end of the village, and I laid my hand upon it, and said, good-by O my dear, dear friend.” In this one moment of time, I think it was the first time Pip actually realized what was happening and how he was leaving his old life behind and that ahead of him were new opportunities that would change his life.

Reply
  10. Casey

In the last two chapters, Pip receives a bunch of money from someone who remains unknown. He is told that he will move to London to become a man of “great expectations”. This gets to Pip”s head and he starts to feel like he is out of place. He thinks that he is so much higher up than the rest of the people around him. Pip starts to regret how he acted that day as he goes to sleep, yet as soon he wakes up, he is back to being the bratty kid he was the day before. He assumes that the person who gave him the money was Ms. Havisham, because the lawyer, Jaggers, was at her house a while ago. She is also very happy for Pip when he tells her he is going to London. Biddy and his family are all sad to see him go, but he ignores their sadness and continues to act like a spoiled brat. As soon as he gets to London, he is filled with regret. I think this means that he is starting to realize the importance of family. Before London, he longed to live the wealthy way of life like Ms. Havisham and Estella, but now he is starting to wish he was nicer to the people around him before he left. He realizes that he is leaving his old life behind.

Reply
  11. Hannah Pitkofsky

In the last section of the first third of “Great Expectations”, Pip is given a large sum of money, which he uses to buy a new suit, and he also leaves Joe’s apprenticeship 4 years after he begins it. When Mr. Jaggers calls Joe and Pip aside during an argument about a murder in the town, he explains who he is (a lawyer from London) and tells Pip that he wishes for an apprentice, bribing Pip. “Shall I leave you with twenty guineas?” (pg. 141) This money makes Pip excited and ready for his future to begin. When Joe and Pip run back home and tell Mrs. Joe and Biddy, Biddy has a strange reaction. She seems proud and happy at first but then gets mad at Pip for changing his future and making it different.
    Pip then goes to Uncle Pumblechook’s mansion and has dinner with him, discussing Pip’s future and the possible apprenticeship with Mr. Jaggers. After a long chat, he goes home for the night but bright and early the next morning he heads to Mr. Trabb’s work area to get his clothing order finalized and measured. (Mr. Trabb is the tailor) He also has an apprentice, who is grabbing things and helping out, but I think that Trabb’s apprentice isn’t getting treated correctly and is getting abused, but that’s just my opinion. At 5 am the next day, Pip is about to leave for Mr. Jagger’s apprenticeship, and the first part ends.

Reply
  12. angelicac1

In chapters 18-19, Mr. Jaggers gave Pip a very large amount of money. “You’ll want some money. Shall I leave you twenty guineas?” (pg.141). A guinea is 25 pounds so Pip was shocked when he was given twenty guineas. Not only did Pip receive twenty guineas! He would also get “brought up as a gentleman”. It’s quite interesting how Pip is going to achieve his dream. Before he had to leave for London, Pip uses the money he received to buy himself nice clothes. At first when Pip arrives at the clothing shop, the tailor treated him as if he were a normal customer, but when he learns that Pip is going to become a gentleman, the tailor treats Pip differently. He treats him in a nicer way with more respect. The same thing happens with Uncle Pumblechook. Normally, Uncle Pumblechook treated Pip with no respect, but when he learned about Pip becoming a gentleman, Uncle Pumblechook treated Pip in a delightful way.

The reactions of Biddy and Joe when they learned that Pip was going to London to become a gentlemen, were slightly sad for me to read. Both of their reactions were filled with different emotions. It was like they didn’t want him to leave, but they knew they couldn’t have done anything to stop Pip because it’s what Pip wanted, so they just let him go. Out of all the reactions, I really disliked the reaction of Uncle Pumplechook. He acted in a completely different way to Pip compared to how he would always treat him. It disgusts me how he would finally change his attitude towards Pip just because of his new wealth and social class.

Reply
    1. Kate Ma.

I agree about what you said about Uncle Pumblechook. This chapter really brought out his true character how he treats the unwealthy bad but the wealthy with such gratitude and wellness.

Reply
  13. emilyr6

In chapters eighteen and nineteen Pips world is revolutionized. He went from someone who had a dream of becoming rich, to someone who actually is rich. A man named Mr. Jaggers leaves Pip with a very large sum of money. Apparently, a mysterious benefactor who made it clear that Pip was “positively prohibited from making any inquiry on his head”(page 139). In a single day Pips world was flipped upside down and now all of his dreams, that had no chance of becoming true before, have come true. In addition to Pip now being rich, his benefactor is insisting that Pip gets a proper education and travel to London, because a gentleman needs to be well read. Since Pip does not know anyone who could tutor him, Mr. Jaggers mentions that Mr. Matthew Pocket would be a good tutor for him.
    As we know from earlier in the novel, when Pip regularly visited Ms. Havishams mansion, Matthew Pocket was the person “whose place was to be at Ms. Havisham’s head, when she lay dead, in her brides dress, on her bride’s table.”(140). We do not know much about Matthew, but we can conclude that he was an extremely important person to Ms. Havisham’s. I predict that when Pip goes to study with him, he will uncover the truth about why Ms. Havisham acts so strange.

Anyway, Mr. Jaggers leaves Pip with twenty guineas to spend on clothing; which is a very large amount of money as opposed to when Pip though that one shilling was a lot of money. When Pip goes to get fitted for a new suit he realizes the affect that money has on people. Suddenly he is not just a blacksmiths apprentice, but some one who people treat with great respect. On page 151 the tailor, Mr. Trabb says to Pip, “My dear sir… May I venture to congratulate you? Would you do me the favor of stepping into the shop?” Now that Pip actually has money, people are beggining to treat him differently.
    In addition to Mr. Trabb, Mr. Pumblechook is treating Pip very differently. On page 155 Pip thinks, “I mentioned to Mr. Pumblechook that I wished to have my new clothes sent to his house, and he was ecstatic on my distinguishing him.”Now he acts as if it is a privilege for Pip to be blessing him with his time, which is very different from before. When Pip was poor, Mr. Pumblechook used to pay very little attention to him, and now he is not, he acts like Pip’s presence is a gift.
    Although being rich has some very rewarding aspects, there is still a lot that Pip is giving up. He thought that once he had money all of his problems would go away, and he would be perfectly happy. However, as time progresses he realizes that this is not the case. One night as Pip is trying to go to sleep, he thinks to himself, “I drew away from the window, and sat down in my one chair by the bedside, feeling it very sorrowful and strange that this first night of my bright fortunes should be the loneliest I had ever known”(page 146). Pip is feeling sad about leaving his home, but he still thinks that money is more important. What Pip does not realize is that by him leaving for London, he is giving up everything that he has ever known and everyone who has ever loved or cared about him. By the time that Pip is wise enough to realize his grave mistakes it will be much to late for him to turn around. I think that Pip will never be content because he is always chasing fortune instead of people who will cherish him.

Reply
  14. Kate Ma.

Pip’s gift of luxury came as a surprise for all of Pip’s closest friends and family. Even Pip was surprised when he was granted a life in London to be a gentleman as well as get a suited education. Pip was beyond excited as well as nervous and guilty of leaving behind Joe. Pip didn’t want to turn into a selfish person and forget all about his recent life as a common man. For example, Pip says to Joe, “You may be sure, dear Joe, that I shall never forget you.” Pip also objects wearing his new suit in town, he thinks that everyone will make a big deal of him. For instance, “That’s just what I don’t want, Joe. They would make such a business of it-such a coarse and common business- that I couldn’t bear myself.” I think that Pip is nervous about Joe’s behaviors when he asked Biddy to help him with his manners. Pip feels that Joe’s an embarrassment and that Pip needs to “save” Joe, like when he was introduced to Ms. Havisham. Pip has a variety of emotions during the upcoming days to his journey.

Biddy and Joe also had many emotions about Pip leaving to become a gentleman. Biddy felt upset that Pip was throwing away his family and his life just to become rich. I think that she knew that going to London was all for Estella to try and win her over by becoming this rich gentleman even if that isn’t his true self. For instance, Biddy says to Pip, “Whether you scold me or approve of me, returned poor Biddy, you may equally depend upon me to do all that is in my power, here, at all times. And whatever opinion you take away from me, shall make no difference in my remembrance of you. Yet a gentleman should not be unjust neither.” Biddy knows that Pip was bragging about his new life and she wanted her to help Joe become better manners so that he would live up to Pip’s new standards. Biddy was extremely bothered by this. I think that once Pip arrives to London he will regret how he treated everyone. Pip’s new luxury has brought a new side of Pip including Biddy.

Reply
    1. Laila

I agree that Pip thinks Joe is an embarrassment. Although they are extremely close, it is almost as though Pip doesn’t want to be associated with him anymore.

Reply
  15. Laila

In chapter 18 of Great Expextations, Pip and Joe meet a lawyer named Mr Jaggers. Mr Jaggers gives Pip twenty guineas, which is a very large amount of money. Pip is also told that he would become a gentleman. Clearly, this is very important for Pip because in a previous chapter Pip says to Biddy, “I want to be a gentleman.“ To Pip, this is all he’s ever dreamed of.. The more money Pip has, the more uncommon he sees himself as. In that moment, Pips perspective of himself changed, as well as other people’s perspective of him. For starters, Mr Pumblechook. Until recently in the novel, Mr. Pumblechook has never had any respect for Pip. After hearing about Pips new opportunity, Mr Pumblechook praises Pip and acts as though they were extremely close, which they aren’t. Mr Pumblechook is a very unlikable character in my opinion because all that he cares for is money and wealth. But again, so does Pip. Pips new opportunity also takes a toll on his relationship with Biddy. Pip had asked Biddy to share all of her knowledge with Joe so he could be uncommon just like Pip. Biddy says that maybe Joe is proud of Pip, rather than envious of him. Pip responds to Biddys comment by calling her jealous. This really bothered me because this is not the Pip that we learned to like in the beginning of the novel. Now he is acting arrogant. He believes that everyone views him as he viewed Estella when he first visited the Satis House, of a higher class. One thing that I found extremely interesting about last nights reading was that we finally hear about Matthew Pocket again. He is going to be tutoring Pip. I hope we can find out more about Matthew and his connections to Miss Havisham. I predict that when Pip goes to London, he will find that his life of luxury is somewhat lonesome and will long to return home.

Reply
  16. Sunna

I’m chapters 18 and 19, Pip seems to have finally gotten everything that he’s ever wanted. A lawyer from London, Mr. Jaggers, gives Pip a large amount of money. He is to go to London to study and become a gentlemen. Mr. Jaggers talks to Pip about “great expectations”, but Pip doesn’t know about his benefactor, and won’t know until they reveal themselves.

With the money that he received, Pip decides to get new and nicer clothes. It was immediately clear that Pip was treated differently because of his money. Once the tailor realizes why he is there, he congratulated Pip and treats him like royalty. The same happens with Uncle Pumblechook, who asks to shake his hand and calls Pip his “dear young friend”. He also selfishly talks about how much he himself has helped with Pip’s success. He used to treat Pip with disrespect and constantly criticized him, but on finding out about Pip’s newfound wealth, treats him much better than before. He clearly is extremely self-invested and thinks that money is the only thing that makes a person.

As for Joe and Biddy, Pip’s money and the chance to go to London affects them, too. Pip has always been close to Joe, but is now ashamed of him. Joe is clearly upset about Pip leaving, but is also trying to be happy for him. He is one of the only characters who has cared for Pip and tried to do the best for him. Pip will probably feel homesick when he gets to London, and realize how wrong he was about Joe. He will most likely see that it didn’t matter if Joe was “just” a blacksmith, but that he only wanted what was best for Pip and was a good person. In addition, Pip and Biddy get into an argument when Pip asks her if she could teach Joe what she knew, so that he could get into his rank. He also says that Biddy is clearly very envious of Pip, which truly shows just how much he’s changed. Pip overhears Biddy and Joe talking about him one night, and feels even more lonely. His loneliness will most likely become worse once he gets to London.

I think that Pip needs to deflate his head and stop feeling so sorry that he’s ashamed of where he comes from, and actually do something about it. He needs to understand that money isn’t all that someone is worth. I used to like Pip, but he is now becoming more and more snobby and entitled. Hopefully his experience in London will show him what really matters in life.

Reply
  17. janem

In chapter 18, a mysterious lawyer known as Mr. Jaggers tells Pip and Joe that Pip will become a gentleman. This is very surprising for Pip and Joe. Pip dreamed of one day becoming a gentleman and being good enough for Estella and Miss Haivisham. Now his dream is coming true, but it isn’t as good as it seemed at first. Pip imagined becoming a gentleman, but never considered how hard it would be to leave his friends and family. He writes that the week leading up to going to London was the loneliest week of his life. Both Joe and Biddy act very strange, and don’t talk about Pip leaving unless he brings it up. Pip also sees Joe smoking at a very late hour and talking very quietly to Biddy about him leaving. Both Joe and Biddy seem happy for Pip,but deep down are very sad to see him leave. I think that because it was so hard to leave Biddy and Joe, Pip is going to feel tempted to want to go back home where he is comfortable. Maybe he will not go through with being a gentleman and instead realize he is better suited to be a blacksmith.

Reply
  18. maxwellw

A great change in Pip’s life occurs in chapters 18 and 19 when he receives a large sum of money anonymously. When Pip suddenly receives his fortune, he experiences a moment in which his romantic ideal seems to have come true, and he has reached an untold level of wealth. But challenges remain, and Pip is forced to contend with the entanglements of his emotional connection with his family and his home. Feeling his emotions clash, Pip is unsure how to behave, so he gives in fully to his romantic side and tries to act like a wealthy aristocrat—a person, he imagines, who would be snobbish to Joe and Biddy. Though he is at heart a very good person, Pip has not yet learned to value human affection and loyalty above his immature vision of how the world should be. In this section and of the novel, behaving arrogantly is a way for Pip to simplify the complicated emotional situations that he finds himself in as he attempts to impose his immature picture of the world on the real complexities of life.

Reply
    1. Brishti Sarkar

I agree. I think that you are right about Pip giving into acting above his rank and trying to force himself to be “better” than Joe and Biddy. I also think that he was influenced by Estella.

Reply
  19. Sophie

During chapters 18 and 19, there is a big event that changed Pip’s life – He receives a large amount of money and gets offered to go to London to educate and become a gentlemen! As I was first reading, I sort of predicted that Pip would be the only character that was affected by it, but I was wrong. Not only was Pip affected, but lots of other people in his life were. Even though the two characters I noticed were not any main characters, they were the ones that stood out to me. The way they were treating Pip was, in my opinion, a little bit ridiculous. The first example I noticed was the conversation with Mr Trabb. When Pip first saw Mr. Trabb that morning, Mr Trabb greeted him by saying, “Well! How are you, and what can I do for you?” (pg 150). Which was very polite and I didn’t really think anything of it, until I kept reading, and AFTER Pip told him about his good fortune, Mr Trabb all of a sudden largely changes his tone and exclaimes, “My dear sir, don’t hurt me by mentioning that. May I venture to congratulate you? Would you do me the favour of stepping into the shop?” (pg 151). That got me annoyed, because it is a clear observation of how his opinion about Pip automatically changed when he heard that Pip was no longer a commoner, but a rich gentleman. The other example I noticed was the way Uncle Pumplechook treated Pip. Instead of talking down to him as is he were a peasant like he used to, he now addressed him in a much more obnoxiously formal way. He continuously starts every conversation with “My dear young friend!”, and speaks as if he’s showing great respect. He also sits Pip down to a fine dinner, offering to serve him every component. He then repeatedly remarks about how he’s known Pip for so long, and “helped out” so much with his childhood, which made no sense because he obviously didn’t. He finishes it off by walking with Pip outside. Their departure was overly dramatic. “We shook hands for the hundredth time at least… Then he blessed me and stood waving his hand to me until I had passed the crook in the road” (pg 156).
    I am a big believer in seeing people by their inner personalities, not through appearance or possession. The fact that both Mr Trabb and Uncle Pumplechook had the courage to suck up to Pip like that just because he has money, really shows a lot about what kind of person they are and makes me not like them so much as characters. (Although throughout the novel I had never really liked Pumplechook and Mr Trabb was just introduced, I now dislike them more). These two rapid changes in two totally different personalities over one common subject makes me think that more people are going to treat Pip like this. I predict that Pip will get sick of it and start to miss his old life, because sooner or later I think that one lesson Pip is going to learn, is the “money doesn’t buy happiness” lesson.

Reply
  20. jaclynl

In chapters 18-19 of Great Expectations, Pip receives a large amount of money from a lawyer named Mr. Jaggers. We have seen before how much Pip dreamed of being “uncommon” and a “gentleman” because of how much he stressed over it. Having this money seems to be what he’s wanted throughout the novel. But now, Pip will soon be leaving for London and although this is what he thought would make him happy, leaving his friends behind is going to be extremely difficult for him. Also, Pip seems to be treated differently now with his money. For example, when Pip went to get new clothing at the tailor, he was treated with respect and even congratulated for the money. Even Uncle Pumblechook is acting completely different towards him. Through all of this, I think that it is very easy for Pip to feel overwhelmed with happiness considering that his dreams have just come true, but soon after leaving for London, he will realize what really matters. His friends and the people he loves. I think that maybe this will even develop into a theme later on. “Money can’t buy happiness.”

Reply
  21. Hannah M.

In the two chapters I read on Wednesday night Pip was offered a large amount of money by Mr.Jaggers who was seen at Ms.Havishams before. This offer overwhelmed both Pip and Joe. Pip was happy that his dreams finally came true, but as for Joe, he was happy for Pip but was scared for what the future brings with this money. When the deal was made that Pip was going to be traveling to London to become a gentleman, he tried not to be selfish and reassured Joe by saying this, ” “You may be sure, dear Joe, that I shall never forget you.” Pip knows he’s a higher class than his family around him, but tries to act normal but he felt guilty so he just went to bed and fell asleep.

Joe and Biddy begin to act strange after the news about Pip moving to London. Both, Joe and Biddy try their best not to talk about Pip leaving unless the topic is brought up for it’s a touchy topic for them both. During the week leading up to Pip’s departure Pip sees Joe up at a late hour smoking and quietly talking to Biddy about Pip leaving for London. Joe and Biddy are both happy for Pip, but are sad to see him leave for they both had a great relationship with Pip. I infer that Pip will go to London, but realize the loneliness that comes with this trip and will go home to Joe, Biddy, and Mrs.Joe Gargery.

Reply
    1. Zoe

I never thought about the fact that Joe might be scared for Pip. I also think that Pip will feel lonely in London, but I don’t know if he would ever go back to his “common” life.

Reply
  22. Zoe

Chapters 18 and 19 reveal a big change in Pip’s life that no one saw coming. A stranger at a bar, after yelling at Mr.Wopsle about not letting the “guilty” person plead not guilty in a court case, asks to see Pip and Joe in a private place; their home. He tells them his name is Mr.Jaggers and that Pip has just received a large amount of money and property from an unknown person, that Mr.Jaggers will know be his guardian in order for him to undertake this fortune, and he has to go to London in six days for his new life. Obviously, Pip is excited about his chance at and uncommon lifestyle, but it also changes the mood of the household. Suddenly, Joe seems gloomy and upset but tries to be happy even though he is losing his best friend. They had been though everything together, and Joe had just lost Mrs.Joe. It was horrible to see Joe’s heart break once again. In addition to Joe, Biddy was really upset when she was informed about the news. Later, when Pip and Biddy privately talk about it, Pip is really rude and tells Biddy she’s just jealous. You could already see the changes in Pip. He started to think he was better than everyone else in these chapters. Even when he meets Mrs.Havisham, he shows off with the fanciest outfit and informs everyone he meets about his newly gained fortune. I really hope he changes back to the Pip he used to be in the old chapters. Right now, he doesn’t even want Joe to walk him to his transportation there, and only wants to leave his old life behind. I really hope that Pip visits Biddy and Joe in the next chapters, but for now it would be the end of Book 1. I could only imagine the cliffhangers that other readers must have had without all three books out.

Reply
  23. MadiR

In chapters 18 and 19 Pip’s yearning for the upper class of life and to be rid of his trade comes true. Pips whole life is changed in just one moment. Mr. Jaggers a man Pip first encountered at Ms. havisham’s residence finds Pip and Joe at the Three Jolly Bargeman. Mr. Jaggers offers Pip a path into a rich life and he takes it. Right there Pip receives twenty guineas. “You’ll want some money. Shall I leave you twenty guineas?” (page 141) Pip uses the money to buy nice attire for London where he will be staying. Pip becoming a gentleman effects his friends and family in different ways. Joe is upset Pip is leaving. “I thanked him and ran home again, and there I found that Joe had already locked the front door and vacated the state parlor, and was seated by the kitchen fire with a hand on each knee, gazing intently at the burning coals.”(page 143) Biddy took Pip’s going away differently. Biddy was just sad. “After a pause, they both congratulated me; but there was a certain touch of sadness in there congratulations, that I rather resented.”(page 143) Joe and Biddy both reacted very much unlike Uncle Pumblechook who acted like he was Pip closest relative and friend his whole life. Pip took his dream coming true differently then all of them Pip became a little selfish although he was trying hard not to. He didn’t wear his new clothing out In public and many other selfless acts but he was also very rude to Biddy. I think when Mr. Jaggers told pip he had “great expectations” it got into his head a little but I think when Pip leaves and cry’s he came back to the kind boy he used to be.

Reply
  24. johnh1

I feel the last few chapters of part one were a good story to follow and do well on following up on the stories of part one. I think having Pip inherit money from Ms. Havisham is a great pay off to Pip’s time there and it means a lot since alot of part one is about Ms. Havisham, Estella and Pip’s time at their home. I like having Biddy in the book more and I feel that Pip and her argument will be followed up on in part two and hopefully, they will be a bit better. Biddy is very nice and Pip has been kind of rude to her in the book and i feel he should shape up. I also like how these chapters were very contrasted from the rest of part one with Pip suddenly having a lot of money. it is even in contrast to the parts at Ms. Havisham’s house because Pip was more of a servant there. I like where the story is going and can’t wait to read part two

Reply
  25. Maddie

In the last two chapters of Great Expectations, Pip meets Mr. Jaggers. He recognizes him as the man he met on his second day at Miss Havishams. Mr. Jaggers has a private conversation with Pip and Joe, and tells Pip that he is to be a gentleman in London and come into a great sum of money. He says that he is now Pips guardian, and gives him money to buy new clothes. Pip has six days until he leaves to London, so he takes that time to say goodbye to all the people he knows. He gets in an argument with Biddy, which is not a good way to say goodbye, and when he goes to Mr. Pumblechook’s house, Mr. Pumblechook says he has been Pip’s “favourite fancy and my chosen friend.” Pip remembers him being nothing of the sort, but goes along with it nonetheless. When Pip finally leaves for London, he cries a few times, and thinks about going back home when they switch carriages. I feel bad for Joe, because it was clear how much Joe would miss Pip, and Joe didn’t want him to leave. Overall, I really liked part one and can’t wait to get started with the next volume!

Reply
  26. Kate

chapters 18 and 19 in Great Expectations affect Pip’s character more so than past chapters. It especially “tests him” to see if he thinks of himself as above his family and friends, because he is told that he is to receive a large sum of money in London, which is where he is meant to go with Mr. Jaggers as his guardian. This makes the me wonder if Pip will choose to completely abandon his former life, and join the upper class for good, even if it meant not being able to live with and spend time with Joe. Joining the upper class means leaving everything he formally owned, or as Mr. Jaggers puts it, “Immediately Removed from his present sphere of life.” Pip shows how he is already beginning to move on from his old life when he says goodbye to Biddy, after being told he will be leaving for london in six days. Biddy was being supportive of Pip, and was upset that he would be leaving her and all of his family. Pip took offence to this and wanted both her and Joe (who had been sad the whole evening about the news) to be happy for him. In order to please Pip they did just that but Pip took it as an offence and thought they wanted him to leave, not for his happiness but for theirs. He even says to Biddy, “You’re just jealous.” How Biddy restrains herself from slapping Pip, I do not know. In conclusion, chapters 18 and 19 show how much pip had changed since that first visit to Miss Havisham, and I predict that going to London, away from his friends and family, who kept him down to earth will only enlarge his ego.

Reply