September 5

“I don’t know where people got the idea that characters in books are supposed to be likable. Books are not in the business of creating merely likeable characters with whom you can have some simple identification. Books are in the business of creating great stories that make you’re brain go ahhbdgbdmerhbergurhbudgerbudbaaarr.” —— —–John Green

Describe your favorite character in the best book you read over the summer.  Give as complete a description, both physical and psychological of your character.  Why is he or she your favorite?  Of whom does this character remind you?  Don’t give too much away; you don’t want to ruin the book for someone else!

Now, I know you’ll all be wondering how long your response should be, and really there is no simple answer.  Most blog responses tend to be about 300 words, some less, some more.  Also, please be careful to proofread your writing. Blogs are somewhat less formal than an essay, but this is still a school assignment.

In addition, please be sure to respond to at least one other comment in this thread.  If someone has discussed a character you also know, respond!  Just be careful to avoid any spoilers!

Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved.

Posted September 5, 2018 by equinson in category Uncategorized

47 thoughts on ““I don’t know where people got the idea that characters in books are supposed to be likable. Books are not in the business of creating merely likeable characters with whom you can have some simple identification. Books are in the business of creating great stories that make you’re brain go ahhbdgbdmerhbergurhbudgerbudbaaarr.” —— —–John Green

1. emmag5

My favorite character in the best book I read over the summer was Harry Potter from Harry Potter and the Sourcerer’s Stone. Harry Potter is a thin, smaller child for his age and wears circular shaped glasses. He has brown hair with bright green eyes that stand out. As well as this, he has a lightning bolt scar on his forehead that provides a great significance throughout the plot of the story. Harry is a bright kid who is very brave and strong in my eyes. He goes through a countless number of challenges throughout the novel and tries his best to get through all of them with a very optimistic mindset. Also, Harry is a very good problem solver and always tries to find the best solution for the problem. There are so many reasons why Harry is my favorite character throughout the novel. First of all, Harry Potter is such an enjoyable character to read about because I like to read his reactions to certain things that occur in the chapters. As well as this, I like the way Harry communicates with different characters in the novel and creates such great relationships with many different people he meets at school. Lastly, Harry Potter is my favorite character In the novel because he plays the sport Quidditch at Hogwarts which is very relatable to me. I love to play sports which is a similarity that Harry Potter and I share which is another reason why he is my favorite character in the novel. In my opinion, Harry Potter also reminds me of another character from a completely different book series. Harry reminds me of a boy named Claus from a Series of Unfortunate Events. Claus, who has a similar appearance to Harry, is a smaller, skinnier kid who has a pair of circular glasses as well. However, that is not the only thing they have in common. Both Harry and Claus attempt to come up with various solutions to solve certain problems that come up throughout the novel. Furthermore, both Harry and Claus are attempting to defeat the antagonists of the novels. Therefore, Harry Potter is a great character and has so many great attributes which is why he is my favorite.

Reply
    1. mirandak

I agree that Harry Potter is an amazing character Emma! Even faced with such struggles throughout several of the novels he still manages to keep his head above the water with his strength and wit, prevailing in the end!

Reply
    2. madilynr

Harry Potter is one of my favorite characters too. J. K. Rowling is such a talented writer all of the details of Harry’s adventures are laid out so well in the book series.

Reply
      1. janem

I read the Harry Potter series and I agree, I think Harry is a really positive, hard-working character. J.K. Rowling is also a very good author.

Reply
  2. hannahp2

My favorite character from a book that I read over the summer is Vicky Decker from the book “How to Disappear”. She is a sophomore in high school and she suffers with severe social anxiety. As the story progresses, we see a dynamic change in her, including the decrease of the severity of her anxiety. She is my favorite character because she is very relatable and her story is one that I have dealt with (a very mild version, though!)

Reply
    1. equinson (Post author)

I like characters I can relate to as well. And I’m delighted to hear your only had a mild version of social anxiety. It can be really debilitating.

Reply
  3. mikaylaf

My favorite character from a book I read over the summer is Dov Landau from Exodus by Leon Uris. When the book starts, Dov is a depressed teenager who rarely talks and is traumatized from WWII. He lived through the Holocaust, and he is the only person in his family who survived. In a flashback, Dov’s entire childhood is explained to the reader. Now, Dov is living in a displaced persons camp on the island Cyprus. Like many of the young people who lived through the Holocaust, all Dov wants to do is go to Palestine (current day Israel). Even two years after WWII ended, Dov still hasn’t come out of his hiding shell. That is, until a teenage girl comes along. This girl makes it her mission to get Dov to open up again. Dov is my favorite character because although in the beginning of the book he seems very unapproachable and unrelatable, he becomes more and more likable as the book progresses. He turns his whole life around into one of success, honor and happiness. Dov shows resilience to almost everything that life throws at him, despite the many challenges of his childhood.

Reply
  4. mirandak

My favorite character from a book I read this summer is Madeline Whittier from the novel “Everything Everything.” Madeline, or Maddy, is an 18-year old whose life is quite different from most. She is warm-toned, brown-eyed and has long, dark curls. However, while she may look like an average teenage girl, her life is anything but average beneath the surface. From the ripe age of six months old, she was diagnosed with SCID, or Severe Combined Immunodeficiency, a very rare genetic disorder that causes two major “weapons” of the immune system, antibodies and T-cells, to be missing or disabled. This causes her body to be very weak and fragile, not being able to fight viruses, bacteria, etc. and so almost anything can trigger an allergic reaction. Due to this, Maddy is unfortunately confined inside her house for her own safety for 17 years, not allowed to leave for fear that she could die, with her mother caring for her all of the time. She is my favorite character because, while she is very ill, she doesn’t want others’ pity, but rather to be treated normally. She is also incredibly kind, and loves to read. In addition, while some would think that she would give her mother a very hard time, trying to rebel and go outside, she is quite the opposite. She never complains about her illness to her mother, and is content with the life she has, as it is the only life she has ever known. Perhaps deep down inside she might want to just once see the world beyond her house, but wouldn’t dare try, as it could mean the end of her life (basically,even faced with strong temptations to go outside, she still stands her ground, staying in her own house for her safety, which takes such strength to do). She has so much courage in extremely tough situations, whilst I would probably be extremely scared and apprehensive, so I would say that I admire her personality.

Reply
    1. trinityt

Maddy seems like a somewhat patience and strong person since it must be hard for her to not go to the outside world due to her illness. Would I be able to stay inside forever without going crazy? Probably not. So I think that Maddy is a great and strong character.

Reply
  5. Hannah McKiverkin

My favorite character is from a book I re-read this summer titled, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. The character that I was most intrigued by was the one and only Tom Sawyer. This is because he is always looking for an adventure and brings so much suspense into the novel. Tom Sawyer is around twelve years old and has brown curly hair. Tom always has an active mind and loves to get in trouble with his Aunt Polly while dealing with his “love” life between Becky Thatcher and Amy Lawrence. Tom Sawyer reminds me of my dog actually! Haha! This is because my dog is always sniffing around to explore new things and causing mischief around the house and getting in trouble by my mom and dad. I’m glad that I re-read the Adventures Of Tom Sawyer this summer because I really enjoyed it both times I read it!

Reply
    1. equinson (Post author)

I’m so glad you re-read TOM SAWYER. I love that book, but my favorite character is Huck Finn. I’d love to read that book with you gusy, but I think you read it later in high school.

Reply
  6. sunnas

The best book that I read over the summer was Cruel Beautiful World by Caroline Leavitt. My favorite character was Lucy Gold. Lucy is sixteen years old and is often underestimated by those around her. Everyone assumes that she doesn’t have any talent or a future because she struggles in school, and is often overshadowed by her sister. However, what makes her so interesting is that no one sees her true talent. She is an amazing writer and understands people better than they understand themselves. She has wild, blonde hair and is seen as very attractive, but no one considers her to be intelligent. I love Lucy’s character because she has such an interesting way of thinking and seeing the world. This story is about her running away with her high-school teacher, William, to rural Pennsylvania, and her thoughts throughout the story are fascinating. Lucy starts off extremely optimistic and envisions a future where she can live in the country with William until she’s eighteen. She plans on coming back to her family so that they can be together without any problems. However, her situation starts to become lonelier and lonelier as William isolates her more than ever before. Her character starts to push more limits for human contact, and I admire how daring and resourceful her character is. She reminds me Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter because Ginny is also not one to back down when she knows that she’s being mistreated. Lucy never gave up when she realized how bad her situation was becoming, and I love her constant fighting spirit. These are just a few of the reasons why Lucy Gold is my favorite character from Cruel Beautiful World.

Reply
  7. Brishti Sarkar

My favorite character from a book I read over the summer was Maddie Fynn from the book When by Victoria Laurie. Maddie is the main character of the book, and she has a special ability to see the dates of when people are going to die. This special ability is used to her alcoholic mother’s advantage when she makes Maddie read the dates for clients, and this eventually leads Maddie to be involved in a homicidal investigation. Maddie looks like an average teenage girl who likes to dress in jeans and sweatshirts, similar to how modern teens dress, and has straight brown hair that is usually in a ponytail. She is very strong and persistent, but is also caring about her friends and family and makes an effort to help them in any way she can. She is incredibly smart for her age, is mature, and makes responsible decisions. This character is my favorite because it feels more like a real person than a fictional character because of how grounded she is and that despite her challenges, she still tries to be a normal teen.

Reply
  8. Laila Sayegh

My favorite character that I read about this summer was Meg Murry from A Wrinkle In Time. Meg Murry is portrayed as an insecure girl with brown frizzy hair, braces, and glasses. She had never been cool or popular. In her town, she was known only for being the girl with no father. Her father had gone missing when she was young and very few knew the details of his disappearance. Meg and her younger brother, Charles Wallace, were the laughing stocks of their schools. As the story progresses, Meg embarks on an adventure to save her father, who is in an alternate dimension. As Meg does this, we can notice a change in her behavior. She develops more confidence in herself. At the end of the novel, Meg finds her father, making her the hero of the story. This is one of the main reasons I love Meg’s character so much. She shows to show that no matter who you are, how you look or where you came from, you can always become a hero. It also shares a very important theme of never doubting yourself and what you’re capable of. Meg puts out an amazing example for all readers.

Reply
    1. equinson (Post author)

I recently re-read A WRINKLE IN TIME, too, and I loved it! I was particularly intrigued by the mother creature. What was its name?

Reply
  9. madilynr

The best book that I read this summer is The Hazel Wood, a novel written by Melissa Albert. My favorite character in this book is the main character, Alice Proserpine. Alice is a short, seventeen year old girl with blonde hair and dark eyes that look soft and surprised until she gets angry. Alice has a bad temper, which helps her to persevere through the tough times. Alice loves her mother and she stops at nothing to find her. She is my favorite character because of the long journey she undertakes throughout the book and the stamina that she is able to maintain with every challenge. Alice reminds me of myself, because she, like me, would do anything for the people that she loves.

Reply
  10. kate

My favorite character from We Were Liars was Cady Sinclair. Cady was a pretty, rich girl who’s grandpa owned a private island. Cady and her very close cousins would go to the island on summer vacation. Cady had an accident in which she got migranes often resulting in her forgetting the tragedy that happened the year before to her cousins/best friends and her family fighting. Although what happened was a great tragedy, Cady didn’t let it drag down her future. Cady is my favorite character because she stays strong even when her family is destroyed. Cady still has her good sense of humor and great personality after all that happened. Cady Sinclair is my favorite character because she doesn’t get dragged down by the tragedies.

Reply
  11. johnh1

My favorite character in Halo: Evolutions was John 117. I have always loved this character because he has a great story, personality, and is just generally really cool. He is an extraordinarily powerful character and goes on very dangerous missions and battles however he doesn’t lack a personality or a good and dark backstory.

Reply
    1. equinson (Post author)

Interesting! I’d love to know more, such as what kind of a personality does John 117 have? And what is this backstory of which you speak???

Reply
  12. Casey Zuckerman

My favorite character from a book I read this summer is Alma Peregrine,a protagonist, from “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”. Miss Peregrine is one of the ymbrynes, or someone who can change between bird and human form. An ymbryne can also manipulate time. She controls a time loop on a Welsh island where it is always September third, 1940. There she gives a home to other peculiars, or people with powers. Miss Peregrine is my favorite because she’s very mysterious and knows a lot about the past and the future. She holds back the truth to protect the children, but ends up telling one peculiar, Jacob Portman, all about his grandfather, the wights, and hollowgasts, monsters that hunt peculiars to feed on them in order to regain their human appearance. Despite not being the main character (even though her name is in the title), her selflessness, loyalty and her mysterious personalty makes her my favorite character.

Reply
  13. Sophie

The best book I read this summer was called Everything Everything. My favorite character was named Carla. She was the nurse of a girl named Maddy who had a very rare disease and needed lots of specialized attention. The reason I enjoyed Carla’s presence in the book was because she allowed Maddy to see somebody that her mother would have not wanted her seeing. Maddy and the person were only friends, and Carla understood her feelings and let them see each other. That one decision though, was the key rising action to the turning point in the story, where the most interesting and shocking thing happened that changed Maddy’s life. If it weren’t for Carla, that never wouldn’t happened. I very much enjoyed the dramatic parts that followed, and as I was reading I felt so grateful for Carla for making that decision. Carla was not one of the main characters, but every time she appeared throughout the book, it made me so happy she was there. The way she talked to Maddy, I felt such an honestly and genuineness to her. She always told Maddy the truth and helped her when she needed it. In relation to that, Carla was not just a regular nurse. She loved Maddy. They had a special bond and special connection, which was so special to Maddy because besides her mother, she didn’t have any other strong bonds. Carla really added strong dynamic to the story, and I am not sure I would’ve enjoyed the book without her.

Reply
  14. stephaniec

My favorite character from The Hypnotist’s Love Story is Ellen O’Farrell. Ellen is a professional hypnotist who lives in her grandparents old house on the beach. She is very pretty and later on in the book becomes pregnant. She lives a pretty ordinary life, except for the fact that her previous relationships have been disastrous and that she grew up without a father and was not very close to her mother. The main plot of the story shows how she is curious. She is my favorite character because where most people would find themselves to be terrified by the main plot, she finds herself to be very intrigued and curious.

Reply
  15. Zoe

My favorite character I read over the summer is Tris Prior from the Divergent series. I started loving her the moment she was introduced because she had the inner struggle of choosing whether to go against her family and choose another faction or stay with them and live a lie for the rest of her life. This pressure on her made me nervous and excited to see how it all played out. Also, the way the author wrote her struggle made it seem as though she would stay with her family but her first act of defiance in the series was going against those standards. The surprising plot twists and the way she reacts to it made me excited to read the book, however sometimes she made the wrong decision and the author then brings that problem up over and over again to really illustrate the way she battles between her different emotions. She builds up amazing relationships in the beginning but by the end she is an entirely different person and changes the way everyone sees her. Tris makes the whole series exciting and her personality gives me a reason to continue through all three books of the series.

Reply
    1. Brishti Sarkar

I just started that book recently and I can’t wait to finish the book series. I find Tris very interesting and cannot wait to see how her character develops!

Reply
  16. mylesn

I read the Cursed Child, by J.K. Rowling. My favorite character from this book is Harry’s son, Albus Severus Potter. He befriends Malfoy’s son, Scorpius. Albus constantly believes he will never live up to the name Potter and is also sorted into Slytherin instead of Griffyndor, which is a shock to all. I can like how Albus has a kind spirit. He shows this by trying to save Cedric Diggory’s life, even though his efforts are vain and misguided. In the end Harry tells his son that he doesn’t need to live up to anything and that he will always love him.

Reply
  17. emilyr6

My favorite character from a book that I read over the summer was Clary Fray from The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Claire. Clary is my favorite character because of the way that she manages her emotions. For instance, in the very first book Clary discovers that there is a another world and that she is a part of it. In just one day, her whole life was flipped upside down and she reacted like any normal person would, by completely freaking out. The way that Cassandra Claire portrayed Clary made her seem like she could be an actual person. Furthermore, she since she discovered this new world, called the shadowhunter realm, she always feels out of place. As a result of Clary just discovering this new way of life, she realizes that she will no longer be able to continue her old, normal way of living. On the other hand, since she recently discovered the Shadowhunters she still does not feel as though she belongs, even though it is in her blood to be a part of it. Subsequently, this creates extreme levels of conflict throughout the duration of the entire story. Moreover, Clary is a remarkably realistic character because of how she reacts in situations. She ia a very impulsive person who rarely listens to what they are told to do. In one example, when one of Clary’s family members was in extreme danger, Clary was told to stay put and let someone else handle it because she did not have the proper training yet. However, Clary was to worried to just do nothing, like most people would be, and instead she broke all of the rules by going to save her family. Clary added a lot of suspense and action into the story and without her in it the book would be uninteresting and I probably would not have bothered reading it.

Reply
  18. Angelica :)

One of the books I read over the summer is a part of the Maze Runner series and it’s called The Death Cure by James Dashner. My favorite character’s name is Minho (his last name is unknown). I’ve always loved characters who had the best sense of humor and Minho is definitely one of those types of characters. He uses his sarcastic ways to humor his friends in the worst situations and he always seems to find a way to make anyone laugh at any time. Putting all his funniness aside, Minho is level-headed and he has such a bold personality. He has incredible leader skills and he’s overall such a lovable character.
    Unfortunately, I don’t know anything involving his past. In the first book of this series, it is explained in the beginning that all the characters have been placed in a huge glade that is surrounded with a moving maze. These characters, which includes Minho, have been placed in the Glade with no memories of ANYTHING. The only thing thing they remember is their name.

Reply
  19. janem

The best book I read this summer was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling, the final book in a seven-part series. My favorite character from this series is Severus Snape. Snape is a middle aged man with shoulder-length black, greasy hair and a crooked nose. He is always described to be in a long, black cloak, whether he’s teaching a potions class or is needed after hours. The author also describes him to frequently wear a bitter look on his face, and that he is notorious for punishing students that are in a house other than his own. Throughout the series, both Harry’s and the reader’s hatred for Snape gets stronger. But Snape is my favorite character because in the end of the story, his true colors are revealed. The reader learns about his past and reasons for being so bitter. I also like that Snape is a very strong character. He seems very odd and his work suspicious but he is more than a one faced character, as he is shown in the beginning of the series. I also enjoyed how J.K. Rowling told Snape’s story, and how the reader’s views and opinions change in a matter of pages.

Reply
  20. trinityt

My favorite character in the book, Where The Mountain Meets The Moon, is Minli. She is around 9 year-old, and has glossy black hair with pink cheeks. Minli is lively and impulsive, and is always eager for an adventure. Her name, Minli, means quick thinking, which suit her habit of quick acting. Minli is my favorite character in this book because she gives me this vibe of youth and adventurous. When Minli was on her journey to change her family fortune with her friend, Dragon, who is actually a dragon, that she met at the beginning of her journey, Minli had to get through some obstacles to reach her destination and the goal of her journey. Thanks to her quick thinking and quick acting personality with some help from Dragon, Minli was able to come up with ideas to get through her obstacles. Minli reminds me a little of my cousin and me when we were in kindergarten. When we were younger, me and my cousin are very energetic and hyper and lively. Overall, this book is amazing, and I love it.

Reply
  21. madisonl2

This summer I read a book called 11 before 12. It is about two girls named Ari and Kaylan who are best friends. Ari is my favorite character. They make a list of 11 things they are going to do before their twelfth birthdays, which are a day apart. The list includes things like get detention, help humanity, and highlight their hair. They get into a fight because Ari wants to let another girl do the list with them, but Kaylan is jealous and says no. They do not talk to each other for a while and when they become friends again, it is almost their birthday. They have to rush to finish the list because they believe that if they don’t finish it, something bad will happen. I like Ari because she is laid back and cool and she gives good advice. This is the best book I read over the summer because it takes place recently and I like modern books. I also like how the book is realistic and I can relate to some of the things that the characters go through at different points in the story.

Reply
  22. jaclynl

My favorite character from my favorite book I read this summer was Augustus from the Fault in Our Stars. It was my second time reading this book because I liked it so much and again, I fell in love with this character. Augustus Waters is first introduced in a support group for teenagers who have cancer. The main protagonist, Hazel, ends up falling in love with him and he changes her life. One thing that I like the most about this character is his outlook on life. I like how he’s confident, smart, witty, and wastes no time on anything. He’s all about living life to the fullest and ends up inspiring Hazel to do the same. I think that Gus is such a strong, inspiring character that can change your own outlook on life. I saw this from the second he was introduced until the very end. This book is amazing and I definitely would recommend it.

Reply
  23. maxwellw

My favorite character from my favorite book this summer was the detective Ralph Anderson in The Outsider by Stephen King. I believe the main reason I enjoyed Anderson’s character so much is because I respected his persistence and determination in solving the murder mystery in this story. This sort of determination shows in moments like when everything Anderson knows to be true starts unraveling around him, and his suspect who has his DNA all over the murder, turns out to have a rock-solid alibi. Anderson is what I consider to be a “good cop”, or an officer who focuses on the arresting the right suspect, rather than any suspect. Even as someone who isn’t working as a police officer or plans to, it’s powerful for an author to portray what you would look for in someone who you’ve entrusted your safety in.

Reply