“I can still tend the rabbits, George?” (OMM #3)

Discuss Of Mice and Men through page 65 here.  Be sure to include many specific text-based details in your commentary.  Be sure also to reply to your classmates as the discussion evolves over the course of the evening.

Also, don’t forget to choose a specific piece of text to discuss in class tomorrow.  You may also want to write two or three discussion questions for class.  Remember, though, that a discussion question should not have an answer.  Rather, it should provoke interesting conversation.

OMM blog #3

38 thoughts on ““I can still tend the rabbits, George?” (OMM #3)

1. In tonight’s reading, we see George and Lennie at the farm once again. After working, Slim and George are walking back and George thanks him for giving Lennie a puppy. Slim tells him that it’s good that he takes care of Lennie. After the death of his Aunt Clara, Lennie followed George around. At first he played around with him, making him jump in the river and messing around with him. But then he realized how helpless George actually is. Then, in Weed, “The guys in Weed start a party out to lynch Lennie. So we sit in a irrigation ditch under water all the rest of that day. Got on’y our heads sticking out from the side of the ditch. An’ that night we scrammed out of there.” (page 42). Lennie arrives, but is berated by George because he took the puppy away from his mother. The other ranch hands appear, and Carlson complains about Candy’s dog and offers to take it out and shoot it. Candy is peer pressured into agreeing and the dog dies. Then Slim is called to the barn, and Curley storms in and thinks him and his wife are together, and moves toward the barn. That leaves George, Lennie and Candy, who talk about their future and ranch. Curley then returns and attacks Lennie, who doesn’t know how to defend himself and accidentally crushes his hand. They move to get Curley to a doctor. One thing that I found interesting in this reading was specifically Lennie. From beginning to end, the passage focuses on Lennie. Whether it’s the past, the puppy, or the fight, it’s all about him. Another thing that stuck out to me was how Lennie doesn’t know his own power. I have thought about this in the past, but it seems different here. George tries to control Lennie, but it is clear he cannot. Another thing that is clear is that George is the only person who can control Lennie. He is the only person he can trust. A passage from this reading that was very important was:

“He’s a nice fella,” said Slim. “Guy don’t need no sense to be a nice fella. Seems to me sometimes it jus’ works the other way around. Take a real smart guy and he ain’t hardly ever a nice fella.” (page 40).

Slim says this and, as always, shows some wisdom in his words. It lends to the theme of appearance v. reality. Upon looking at Lennie, you might be intimidated, but once he opens up, he is nice and gentle, a seemingly rare trait,

Also, a couple of questions I have from this reading are:

Why is Curley so stuck up, and further why is he so paranoid? While it is clear his wife doesn’t love him, Slim is trustworthy and he seems just to be trying to pick fight.

Why did no one make a move to stop Lennie when he crushes Curley’s hand? Is it because they are afraid to approach him, or because of their hatred of Curley.

2. In chapter 3 of Of Mice and Men, George talked to Slim all about how he met Lennie and why he always sticks with him. George knew Lennie’s aunt Clara, so he vowed that he would take care of Lennie after she died. The passage that I thought was very interesting was the section where George explained that he would pick on Lennie, but Lennie never cared or reacted aggressively. “If I tol’ him to walk over a cliff, over he’d go. That wasn’t so damn much funny after a while. He never got mad about it, neither. I’ve beat the hell out of him, and he coulda bust every bone in my body jus’ with his han’s , but he never lifted a finger against me.” This is really interesting because it truly shows how oblivious Lennie is to hate in the world. This story takes place during the Great Depression, a time of sadness and worry. With Lennie, he sees the world through a child’s eyes. He is a large man, yet he would never try to hurt a thing. One might say that is what we all need in life, just living in the now and not worrying or being sad. However, it is important to defend yourself and also know your strengths, which Lennie can’t do. In my opinion, Lennie’s disability is his lack of knowledge about the world around him. It is as if he looks at the world through a little tube, so he isn’t getting the full picture. Lennie knows how to work and how to be kind, but when it comes to thinking about himself and his own needs, he can’t.

• Excellent response! I really loved how you said that Lennie being oblivious is both beneficial and detrminetal to him. I never really thought about how his ignorance can shield him from the hate in the world. Keep up the good work!

• I never thought about how Lennie’s disability could be an advantage to not seeing the hate in the world. Great Blog!

• Great job Patsy! Your blog made me think of my discussion question from last night which was “Is Lennie’s disablitiy a blessing or a curse.” I think your blog made great points for both sides of this argument. Nice work!

3. After rereading chapter 3 of Of Mice and Men, I want to talk about two things. One is George and Lennie’s relationship, and the other is the shooting of Candy’s dog.

George and Lennie’s relationship is further developed by Steinbeck in George’s discussion with Slim. George makes his need for Lennie clear when he tells Slim about the incident at the river. George says, “… he’ll do any damn thing I [tell him to do.]” Here the reader sees that George enjoys the opportunity to not only give Lennie advice, but also to be in charge. Lennie gives George stature. But now George uses that power carefully; he respects the fact that Lennie is not mean and would never intentionally hurt anyone. What George does not seem to realize is how dangerous Lennie’s strength can be, a danger that Steinbeck makes clear when Lennie crushes Curley’s hand.

The shooting of Candy’s dog shows the callousness of Carlson and the reality of old age and infirmity. Carlson offers to shoot the old dog, complaining many times of the smell. He brutally keeps after Candy, and Candy’s reaction can be seen in the adverbs Steinbeck uses to describe how Candy looks: “uneasily,” “hopefully,” “hopelessly.” Candy reaches out to Slim for help, but even Slim says it would be better to put the dog down. “I wisht somebody’d shoot me if I get old an’ a cripple” are the words Slim uses that Candy later echoes when he considers his own future. Carlson is the stereotype of a macho male. He relentlessly pursues the dog’s death, more for his own comfort (he doesn’t like the dog’s smell) than to put the dog out of its misery. He quickly and emphatically says he has a Luger that can do the job, and he has to be reminded by Slim to take a shovel so Candy will be spared the glimpse of the corpse. Carlson even cleans his gun in front of Candy after the deed is done. While it may be true that killing the dog put it out of its misery, little concern is shown for Candy’s feelings after a lifetime of caring for the dog. Now Candy is like the rest of them — alone, revealing the rough and brutal world of the ranch.

• I enjoyed reading your blog. I especially liked that you talked about two major topics instead of just one. George has definitely learned his lesson from abusing Lennie’s power. I initially did not see the insensitivity of Carlson, but you pointed that out clearly. I liked your well-thought-out analysis and will enjoy reading your future blogs.

4. “Look, if me an’ Lennie work a month an’ don’t spen’ nothing, we’ll have a hunderd bucks. That’d be four fifty. I bet we could swing her for that… They fell into a silence. They looked at one another, amazed. This thing they had never really believed in was coming true. George said reverently, “Jesus Christ! I bet we could swing her.” His eyes were full of wonder. “I bet we could swing her,” he repeated softly.

Chapter 3 of “Of Mice and Men” discusses the motivation of George and Lennie. George and Lennie have always dreamed of owning their own farm, now they realize that their dream might actually be possible. Throughout the novella, we see that George continually has motivated Lennie with the thought of owning a farm and some rabbits. In my opinion, this text is the happiest part of the story. For once, George and Lennie have a future that doesn’t involve more farm work, and they are already so close to attaining that dream.

But little Mouse, you are not alone,
    In proving foresight may be vain:
    The best laid schemes of mice and men
    Go often askew,
    And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
    For promised joy!

We all know that this novella is based on the poem “To a mouse.” That poem cuts straight to the point when discussing dreams and desires. In the above text, the narrator of the verse states how hopes and plans will often hurt us. Those lines foreshadow the upcoming events in the novella. Even though the idea failed, it was good that George and Lennie had a plan. Instead of giving up, they had the motivation to keep going. For once, they felt as if they had a purpose. Besides giving something to focus on, goals are also useful because they set mental boundaries. For example, Lennie tries not to get in trouble because, if he does, he won’t achieve his goal. Steinbeck is trying to show the importance of goals while also warning against having a goal that is too far-fetched. It is a shame that George and Lennie never fulfill their plan and don’t live happily ever after, together on a farm.

• Great blog! I like how you related the poem to this novella. I agree that Steinbeck is trying to tell us that our goals should not be too far fetched, or else we will be very disappointed in the end. Keep up the good work! 🙂

5. In tonights rereading, I found a passage that caught my eye. Steinbeck writes
    “Oh, I dunno. Hardly none of the guys ever travel together. I hardly never seen two guys travel together. You know how the hands are, they just come in and get their bunk and work a month, and then they quit and go out alone. Never seem to give a damn about nobody. It jus’ seems kinda funny a cuckoo like him and a smart little guy like you travelin’ together.”
    On page 39, Slim says this while talking to George. This struck me because in class we have talked a bit about how George and Lennie are the only pair of men that stick together. Slim says how usually men just come, work for a month, and leave. He also says how they don’t care about anyone else but themselves. Another part that struck me was he uses the word “hands” instead of workers in the 3rd sentence. We have talked about hands as a motif in this book. I also realized that most of the characters aren’t described with there hands, only the special ones. Like Lennie and his paws, Candy with a missing hand, and Crooks with pink hands.

Discussion Questions:
    Why does George Need an excuse for being with Lennie?

• I also noticed that George and Lennie are the only ones together, and also the hands. Steinbeck may be trying to show how hands may have something to do with a man’s life. It defines how they will be able to live. For example, Lennie is strong and powerful with his gigantic ‘paws,’ allowing him to buck barley easily. When Candy describes his place in George and Lennie’s dream farm, he says because of his missing limb, he might get canned for his inability to do work as well. Crooks is also discriminated against for his skin color.

6. The reread of the next chapter in Of Mice and Men highlights Lennie and George meeting the rest of the men on the ranch. A part that opened my eyes a bit was when George was talking to Slim about him and Lennie sticking together. He said-

“Funny how you an’ him string along together.”
    “What’s funny about it?” George demanded defensively.
    “Oh, I dunno. Hardly none of the guys ever travel together. I hardly never seen two guys travel together.

I found this interesting. Slim expresses how extremely unusual that these two men stuck together, which lead me to start thinking about the theme of friendship. Throughout their story, Lennie and George display their amazing bond that keeps them together no matter what. Once you’ve realized this, you can step back and see the whole picture of their friendship. First, George took him along after his Aunt Clara died. After that, George did so many cruel things to Lennie, but he still was faithful. When George told him to jump into the river, he did and almost drowned. He was still grateful for George pulling him in, and George never did such a thing again. Even after all the dumb things Lennie did, and always forgetting things, George never told him to leave when he offered to (which I suspect isn’t just because he’ll get mistaken for a coyote) . Although he still sometimes was mean to him, George still looked after him. In the world of Of Mice and Men, it was hard to come by two men that still care about each other. In such a world like this, Steinbeck attempted to show the beauty of such a relationship between people.

• Great response, I actually did a similar topic for my blog and I really enjoyed reading about the ideas that you had. Nice job!

7. Two characters are the focus of this chapter, Lennie and Slim. Lennie is just like a child in some cases, and a robot in others. He follows whatever somebody tells him to do, no matter who they are. But, when somebody doesn’t tell him directly what to do, he sneakily opposes the authority and does something he knows that the people in charge would not approve of. This is where he is a child. Lennie doesn’t like to fight either, and is caught in a sticky situation when Curley starts punching him for no apparent reason. George tells Lennie to fight Curley back, and after a pause, Lennie cannot control himself and fights back. Lennie cannot make himself let go even though he does not want to hurt anybody, and only lets go when George tells him to. This is where he is like a robot. Slim is an entirely different kind of person. He is in total control of himself, and basically everybody he is around. Whenever he speaks everybody listens, and whenever spoken to he receieves everything and is a great listener. Nobody crosses him. George and Slim meet for the first time and have their first long conversation. The two have not been acquaintinces for long, and George is already telling him things that only him and Lennie knew. He tells Slim about the times where he would mess around with Lennie, which almost got Lennie killed. George feels horrible about that story, and it was the first time he had told anybody about that. George also tells Slim honestly what happened at Weed. George had lied to the boss and told him that the job was done, but that was not the truth. Lennie had grabbed onto a girl’s dress, and when the girl told the law that Lennie had raped her, the two had to hide in order to escape a lynching. George had lied to the man really in authority, and had instead told Slim the truth, a man who he had just met.

• I love how you said that Lennie is like a robot, and I totally agree! He follows every command, and listens to George. Good job!

8. In Chapter 3 of Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, there are many passages from the text that are important and significant to the story. At the end of the workday, Slim and George return to the bunkhouse. Slim has agreed to give one of the pups to Lennie, and George thanks him for his kindness, insisting that Lennie is just “dumb as hell,” and not crazy or rude. Slim appreciates George’s friendship with Lennie, saying that it is a welcome change in a world where no one ever cares for anyone else. Slim sparks an important point, that the friendship George and Lennie are so close, which was so rare in the community. Next, George proceeds to tell the story of how he even met and began his friendship with Lennie. He says that they were born in the same town, and George took charge of Lennie after the death of Lennie’s Aunt Clara. He even admits that he pushed Lennie around, getting him to do ridiculous things, such as jumping into a river even though he didn’t know how to swim. After watching his friend nearly drown, George felt ashamed of his behavior. Since that day, he has taken good care of his companion, protecting him even when he gets in trouble. He justifies his changed behavior towards Lennie by explaining that while in Weed, the last town where they worked, Lennie wanted to touch the fabric of a girl’s red dress. When she pulled away, Lennie became frightened and held on to her until George hit him over the head to make him let go. The girl accused Lennie of r-a-p-e, and George and Lennie had to hide in an irrigation ditch to escape a lynch mob. This passage really helps demonstrate how close George and Lennie really are, and that George seemingly wants the best for him.

9. After re-reading chapter three of, Of Mice and Men, there were a few things that caught my eye. The most interesting of which was the question of why George is stuck with Lennie. There are a lot of reasons that are correlated with each other, but they all lead to the fact that Lennie will always listen to George no matter what, and George will not leave Lennie alone after all the horrible ways he mistreated Lennie. When George tells Slim, “If I tol’ him to walk over a cliff, over he’d go. That wasn’t so damn much funny after a while. He never got mad about it, neither. I’ve beat the hell out of him, and he coulda bust every bone in my body jus’ with his han’s, but he never lifted a finger against me.” This not only shows the relationship Lennie and George have, it shows how optimistic Lennie is in any situation. Lennie is the dreamer and George is the realist. Lennie does not get upset over anything and is like the mouse. He only cares about what happens to him during the present that is good. George helps him notice what goes around him, good or bad so that he knows how to react and when to react.
    Discussion question: Why does George want to present the image that he is the tough guy instead of being himself?

• I like your discussion question. I think being a “tough guy” allows George to have more control over his life. He does not want to be vulnerable like Lennie is (mentally), and he really does not have the strength to protect himself. It’s all about survival. George and Lennie need each other to survive. Also, look at the paragraph I have chosen for my blog, I think it is showing George’s toughness.

10. “He ain’t no cuckoo,” said George. “He’s dumb as hell, but he ain’t crazy. An’ I ain’t so bright either, or I wouldn’t be bucking barley for my fifty and found. If I was bright, if I was even a little bit smart, I’d have my own little place, an’ I’d be bringin’ in my own crops, ‘stead of doin’ all the work and not getting what comes up otta the ground.” George fell silent. He wanted to talk. Slim neither encouraged nor discouraged him. He just sat back quiet and receptive. (page 39)

This is the piece of text I have chosen to analyze for tonight. I thought that this moment in time was very strong for George, and it really showed the power of words. George has strength in his words, and was able to make the room completely quiet. He stood up for Lennie, and really showed the equality of all people. George is basically saying that everyone has flaws, so it isn’t right for everyone to think that Lennie is stupid. This moment also shows what good of a friend George is. He really is like a big brother or a parent to Lennie, protecting him and not letting anyone make fun of him. George is allowed to curse at him, but no one else is allowed to. In just one paragraph, Steinbeck was able to show George’s personality, his relationship with Lennie, and also the status of people during the early and mid 20th century. Educated people clearly seemed to be higher in status, and those who were not smart did not have the chance to own their own land or businesses. In the context of Of Mice and Men, George and Lennie are not high class educated people, therefore they work for others. It is much harder for them to own their own farm, but they have dreams of doing so. Slim’s God-Like persona can also be seen in this paragraph. After George has his so-called speech, Slim quietly listens and does not put in input. Slim is a very open-minded person, so it makes me feel like he is watching over, like a god. In just one paragraph we learn so much about George, Lennie, and Slim, and I think that is very incredible of John Steinbeck.

11. In chapter 3 of Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck we read as George and Lennie become closer with the other men on the ranch and begin to feel comfortable on the ranch and working there. They start to fall into a pattern of working there and living there creating a routine for their daily lives. George starts to explain to Slim some of the aspects and details of his and Lennie’s past together. He explains why they started to work and travel together and what had happened at their last job in weed. Before George decided to tell Slim about their past he wanted to make sure he could trust him and when he felt that he could he shared with him what had happened. Slim made a remark about how it was strange that the two of them meaning, George and Lennie travelled together all this time he wanted to begin to try and understand why the two of them liked being together all of the time when the rest of the men on the ranch where most likely living their lives alone. For men like them to be together all the time you would think that George would have some kind of obligation like he was a family member or that he had to be around him all the time but really it was more of a decision and a choice and it was an obligation. Although it did make George’s life more difficult having Lennie in his life was also something that he needed although to other people it may have been strange. Being with one another was something that the two of them were comfortable with and used to. They depended on one another for support, just to have a friend, or to turn to if they were in trouble. if one of them needed something the other was there whatever time whatever the cause and that was something that the other men on the ranch weren’t lucky enough to have. On page 39 Slim starts to say how he thought it was strange that the two of them spent so much time together and how they had come to this ranch together and not alone. He says, “… Hardly none of the guys ever travel together I hardly never seen two guys travel together you know how the hands are, they just come in and get their bunk and work a month, and then they quit and go out alone never see them give a damn about nobody. It jus’ seems kind of funny a cuckoo like him and a smart little guy like you travelin’ together.” This was interesting to read because we talked today about how many of them were alone but George and Lennie unlike all the rest, had each other and that was all that they needed.
    JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS MY QUIZLET IS RYMCGINLEY13 AND THE SET IS UNDER ENGLISH VOCAB OF MICE AND MEN.

12. After re-reading chapter 3 of “Of Mice And Men” by John Steinbeck, I realized the importance of titles. One specific title that I felt was important to discuss is the title, “kid”. What does it mean to be a kid and can it be used as both a positive and a negative? Kids are typically creative and happy, yet they can be annoying and rude sometimes. Personally, I think that being called a kid is a positive. Being a kid means that you’re creative and optimistic, sure some kids could be really annoying but they don’t care what others think and they have so much fun. Anyways, in this chapter, Lennie was being called a kid from both George and Slim. The conversation started with Slim saying, “Jesus.. He’s jes’ like a kid ain’t he.” In this context, being called a kid isn’t so positive, in fact I interpreted it as calling Lennie immature and someone who doesn’t know right from wrong. George goes on to say, “Sure he’s jes’ like a kid. There is no harm in him than a kid neither, except he’s so strong.” George is saying how Lennie doesn’t mean harm. He doesn’t think of hurting anyone, but he does unconsciously. It’s just like how little kids make mistakes and it takes them a bit longer to understand what they’re doing is wrong. Also, I found it funny how Lennie likes Candy and talks to him trustfully. Don’t little kids love candy? Was this a coincidence or did Steinbeck do this on purpose? This got me thinking about how in most books we read, we give each character a title. Why is it that people need to be called a different title than their names? Names are also important in this book, but what is the difference between a person’s name and their title?

13. In rereading pages 37-65 of Of Mice and Men, I found the behavior of Curley very stuck up. He acts like he is better than everyone, when really, he isn’t. We talked about names beginning with ‘C’s today in class, and how they all mean that those men are all similar. That ties in with Curley’s name, which also begins with a ‘c’. Although Curley pretends to be more superior than everyone else, he isn’t. Just because his father owns the ranch does not mean that Curley is of a higher status than all the other men. This goes back to what Slim said about smart people not always being the nicer ones. “‘Guy don’t need no sense to be a nice fella. Seema to me sometimes it jus’ works the other way around. Take a real smart guy and he ain’t ever a nice fella.’”(pg. 40) Curley is smart, or at least smarter than Lennie, and he is much meaner and more rude than Lennie. Lennie is a much better person than Curley, even if he is more dumb. Curley is like his wife. Even though both of them do not have much power, they act like they do. Curley does not own the farm, his father does, but he acts like he can do whatever he wants to whomever he wants. When George was warning Lennie to ignore Curley, he said, “‘If he tangles with you, Lennie, we’re gonna get the can. Don’t make no mistake about that. He’s the boss’s son.’”(pg.29) Although Curley is not very high and mighty, he acts like it. Candy was telling George how whenever Curley beat someone up, the men cheered for Curley, but when someone beat Curley up, the men would yell at the one who beat Curley up. Curley has almost no power, but he uses it like he has more.

• I really liked how you analyzed the characters that had names that started with a “c”, especially Curley. You brought up some very good points. Good job Arina!

14. Today in class we discussed the scene in “Of Mice and Men” where the boss thinks George is trying to get something out of Lennie since he is so nice to him. In tonight’s reading Slim makes a comment about George and Lennie’s relationship as well.

“‘Funny how you an’ him string along together.’ It was Slim’s calm invitation to confidence.
    ‘What’s funny about it?’ George demanded defensively.
    ‘Oh, I dunno. Hardly none of the guys ever travel together. I hardly never seen two guys travel together. You know how the hands are, they just come in and get their bunk and work a month, and then they quit and just go out alone. Never seem to give a damn about nobody. It jus’ seems kinda funny a cuckoo like him and a smart little guy like you traveling together.’” (Pg. 39)

This interaction between George and Slim characterizes Slim. We can see that Slim is different from the boss by his tone. The boss was rude and judgemental when calling George out for being so nice to Lennie, but Slim isn’t acting like it is a bad thing to travel with someone. Slim really is interested in George and Lennie traveling together. It shows how Slim is different from the other guys, which is reinforced by his name not starting with a “C”.
    Today in class we also discussed the use of stereotypes in this novella. We see the stereotype of a typical man portrayed a lot. By the novella’s standards, a man should be strong, and be smart enough to do everything for himself. George and Lennie do not fit this stereotype. George is not strong, and Lennie needs George’s brains to survive. These stereotypes are reinforced by everyone’s surprise to see two men traveling together.

15. “Funny how you an’ him string along together.” It was Slim’s calm invitation to confidence. “What’s funny about it?” George demanded defensively. “Oh, I dunno. Hardly none of the guys ever travel together. I hardly never seen two guys travel together. You know how the hands are, they just come in and get their bunk and work a month, and then they quit and go out alone. Never seem to give a damn about nobody. It jus’ seems kinda funny a cuckoo like him and a smart little guy like you travelin’ together.” (Page 39)

Slim points out how George and Lennie are always together, unlike everyone else on the ranch. This is one of the main differences that George and Lennie have compared to the other men, or men that have names that start with “c”. In our discussion in class, we mentioned how the men in this book relate to laborers of America during John Steinbeck’s period. Also, almost every man on the ranch is completely emotionless and live miserable lives. They have no family to live for, no one to talk to or no one to care or love for. George and Lennie have themselves. In the previous chapter George explains to the owner how Lennie is big but has no brain, George is small and is more intellectual. They are perfect for each other as they are yin and yang. Another reason why George and Lennie need each other is because of their personalities. Lennie obviously needs George to help him make the right decisions and choices. However, George needs Lennie too. To the outside world, he has to put up this strong exterior wall that prevents any feelings or emotions to show, to avoid the stereotypical insults. But, when he is with Lennie, he could attempt to put his guard down. He can sit down and dream with Lennie about their careless and worry- free future.

16. On pages 38 through 65, I’ve personally payed more attention to the other character’s interacted with our two main characters, George and Lennie. Based on each character’s individual personalities, they each have their own opinions and interactions with Lennie. First, we see George describe Lennie as not crazy, but a little dumb. George even admits that he isn’t too bright himself, and that he has a fantasy life where he has his own farm and life. This fantasy life did not include Lennie. George feels safe speaking to Slim. Slim is receptive to everything that George says and Lennie does. When Carlson steps in, he talks about how Candy should shoot his old dog. George mentions how there was someone from weed had a great herding dog. Weed as we know is the town where George and Lennie are from, so it is coincidental that the this dog is from there. What stood out to me was that it was said that that dog won learn from the other dogs, and this reminded me of how Lennie would do anything George would tell him to do. Candy’s dog was foreshadowing to how George would kill Lennie. I also found it interesting how Candy regretted not being the one to shoot his dog, and in the end George took responsibility as he always does for Lennie, and kills him.

17. Chapter 3 is a rather eventful one.Given, not very action-ish, but many important themes take place. The first of these events is Lennie getting a puppy from slim. This pup in a way might represent Lennie’s innocence later on, when he kills the dog and in progression to Curly’s wife then getting himself killed. As he tries to take one into the quarters, George tells him to put it back, and so Lennie goes to the farm to spend the night. Gorge then starts telling Slim of how he got to meet Lennie. George knew Lennie’s Aunt Clara, and when she died, Lennie just followed him around, and have been close friends ever since. This tells us George likely knew Lennie and may have felt bad for him, but George would rather keep that a secret than seem weak. The next event is a very symbolic and significant event. Candy walks into the bunk house, and he brought his dog with him. Perhaps not dis similarly from how Lennie always holds onto everything. Anyways, Carlson then convinces Candy to kill the dog, as it was old and suffering. He kills the dog himself, and Candy is left with just hearing a gunshot, something he regrets deeply. This could possibly be Steinbeck emphasizing how often times, people don’t know how to let go of loved ones. It could also be paralleled into a physical sense when Lennie physically can’t let go of things when he’s scared and doesn’t know what to do.

18. This chapter really shines a light on George and Lennie’s relationship. It is clearly more then just “a cuckoo like him and a smart little guy like you[George] travelin’ together,” (Page 39). George really does care for Lennie. After Lennie’s Aunt Clara died, Lennie started following george around. At first George took advantage of Lennie, telling him to do stuff and then Lennie would do it. But one day, when George told Lennie to jump into a river and Lennie jumped, And almost drowned because he couldn’t swim, George stopped. Ever since, George has been taking care of Lennie. After rereading this part of Of Mice and Men, I have formed an idea. George is a smart guy, everybody says so “a smart little guy like you travelin’ together,” (Page 39). And Lennie is not very “smart”, but that’s because he is held back by a disability. I think that maybe another answer to why George still keeps Lennie around, isn’t just because Lennie has grown on George, but because George doesn’t want Lennie taken advantage of. It is clear that Lennie doesn’t see things in a bad way, he just can’t comprehend why someone would do something bad to another person. I know this because Lennie does almost everything George tells him to, and always forgets about the bad things George has done. If anyone other than George had found Lennie, they more than likely would have either left him to die, or realized that they had full control over a very large and strong man. And used him to make themselves better off. George doesn’t want this for Lennie, because Lennie wouldn’t even notice that he was being taken advantage of. All that hubbub George says about taking care of Lennie is fake, we already know that, but maybe it’s for an even deeper reason then just, George cares about Lennie.

19. After rereading this portion in Of Mice and Men, I wanted to talk about the symbolism of Candy and his dog. Candy. Being one of the more talkative and well-known characters in this novella, Candy is pressured into letting his old dog be put down. He loves this dog, and although he cannot name a productive reason to keep him, he tries very hard until finally giving in to letting him be killed. This mirrors what later happens to George and Lennie. Lennie is being pressured by the other me to be killed, yet George hangs around him and protects him with the sole reason of love. George loves Lennie. The only difference between the two scenarios is that, rather than letting one of the other men kill Lennie, George decides that he should do it himself. Both Lennie and the sheepdog do not know that they are going to be killed, and both are killed in order to prevent some future misery. This has brought me to look deeper into the Theme of Death in Of Mice and Men. Death Is everywhere in this novella. We see it in the mice given to Lennie as a child, we see it in the mouse found by the edge of the road, in the puppies who must be kept in the nest to survive, the puppies who were drowned in order to keep the others alive, Candy’s old sheepdog, Lennie, and Curley’s wife. The theme of death so deeply pervades the story that one would have great difficulty reading or recalling this story without recalling death. Some of the death in OMM is accidental, and some has purpose, and if they are divided up into two categories, then one would find that Lennie is the cause or probable cause of accidental death, while others are the cause of purposeful death, thus leading me to the belief that Lennie is not innocent in his actions, but rather innocent minded, thus setting him apart from the other characters in OMM.

They took places opposite each other at the table under the light, but George did not shuffle the cards. He rippled the edge of the deck nervously, and the little snapping noise drew the eyes of all the men in the room, so that he stopped doing it. The silence fell on the room again. A minute passed, and another minute. Candy lay still, staring at the ceiling. Slim gazed at him for a moment and then looked down at his hands; he subdued one hand with the other, and held it down. There came a little gnawing sound from under the floor and all the
    men looked down toward it gratefully. Only Candy continued to stare at the ceiling.(Pg 49)

20. A lot has happened in this chapter. Candy’s dog was shot down, and Curley broke his hand. First, I want to point out that not all of the characters name starts with the letter “C”. There is Slim, Whit, Smitty, George, and Lennie. I also noticed how odd the names are. I think that some of these names are just nicknames, like Slim, Crooks, and Curley. Slim is tall and probably skinny, Crooks has a crooked back, and Curley acts superior and fancy in a way. I also noticed that Candy said that he would rather shoot the dog himself than a stranger. I find this interesting because it kind of relates to George and Lennie. George has been really close to Lennie ever since he was young, so he kept holding onto him, even if he seemed to be dragging him down. When George knew that Lennie finally had to go, he preferred that he was the one to pull the trigger than a stranger.

21. In the reading of the novela we come too see a intriguing yet touching backstory to George and Lennie. Lennie was being taken care by his Aunt Clara. When she died George promised to take care of him. At first we see that George was taking advantages of Lennie and played with him. However soon George realized how much Lennie was loyal to George. He says he got bored but in fact he was touched by how much Lennie would and still does trust him. This shows how much George actually cares about Lennie. Also we come to find out what happened Weed, where they previously worked. Lennie was basically convicted of touching a woman and they wanted to lynch him. However George hid them both out of love and fear. George loves Lennie but doesn’t show it openly. Probably relating back to his masculinity. He wants to be seen as a man. As a result he would act like he is isolated.
    Eventhough it is clear George cares for Lennie does he seem Lennie as an advantage or disadvantage?

22. Tonight’s reading was pages 33-65, in which George and Lennie have their first interaction with Slim, in which George actively defends Lennie and says that he’s not a cuckoo. Following this, we learn about how George and Lennie became a duo in the first place. George tells Slim about how he and Lennie grew up in the same town, and when Lennie’s Aunt Clara passed away, Lennie started to tag along with George. At first, George started to “prank” or harass Lennie, and would make jokes at his expense. Once, George told Lennie to jump in a lake and Lennie started to drown because he couldn’t swim. George went to save Lennie and Lennie thanked him without even remembering George told him to jump in the pond in the first place. This is when their relationship changed. George saw how easy it was to manipulate Lennie, and decided he needed to protect him in a way. He needs to be the one to have Lennie’s back. He needs to be the one to take up for Lennie. Like a brother would, brothers at times will mess with you but at the end of the day will always have your back. The only time George has to manipulate Lennie is in his fight with Curley, where George tries to force Lennie to fight. But this isn’t for George’s own entertainment, it’s to help Lennie. All George wants to do is help Lennie, and be a figure in Lennie’s life with a good influence.

23. After analyzing tonight’s reading on OMM, I decided to think about the theme of responsibility and friendship, and see if they are intertwined with each other.

If I’m honest, I don’t really know how to explain the relationship between George and Lennie. It’s technically a friendship, but it seems more like George is responsible for Lennie in a sibling kind of way. If you add that George also knew Lennie’s Aunt, it definitely appears that they are family. Therefor, if it seems that way, does that mean that George feels responsible for Lennie? I think the answer is yes, but not in the way that makes Lennie seem like a burden. However, at times he can be a burden due to the trouble he starts periodically.

24. I feel that curly was trying to cover up his weaknesses with trying to be tough. In his pursuit to look tough, he forgets to care for people who are detrimental to his life, like his wife for example. His wife was only lonely, she just wanted to have some social interaction, and just because of her looks, she was judged. Then, when she tried to talk to any of the men, they avoided her and said that she was. I understand the doubts that the men had. Now I have a question. Do you think the men were justified to have doubts about her? Or do you think she deserved a chance?