I have had a most rare vision. (MND#7)

I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was–there is no man can tell what. Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is but a patched fool, if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream was.

Paraphrase and analyze the above from Bottom’s speech at the end of Act IV, scene i.

Are we meant to agree or to disagree with his statements?  Why or why not?  Explain what you think Shakespeare is really trying to teach the audience member or reader in this speech.

As always, be careful to follow the rules of standard written English, and don’t forget to respond to at least one other classmate’s response in this thread.

MND blog #7

33 thoughts on “I have had a most rare vision. (MND#7)

1. I have had the weirdest dream. It was a dream that any man could not explain: he would be an ass if he did. I thought I was- no man can tell that. I thought I was- And thought I had- But a man would be a fool if he said what I thought I had. No eye of a man has heard, no ear has seen, no man’s hand has tasted, his tongue touched, or his heart to say, what my dream was.

When Bottom tries to explain what his dream was he realizes he would sound dumb describing it to people, so he stutters and almost says it but he doesn’t. His statements are confusing because he says that eyes hear, ears see, hands taste, and tongues touch. I’m not really sure what he was doing here and the book says it’s from the bible. Shakespeare may be trying to convey a message with this speech/ramble. He might be trying to keep up this theme of dreams. When the four lovers awoke they thought they had been in a dream as well. Also, Titania thought it was a dream when she woke up. The title of the book is A Midsummers Night’s Dream. Maybe the entire book is a dream.

2. I just had the weirdest dream. No smart man could ever figure out what this dream means: you would be an ass if you tried to explain it. I thought I was a…no ma could tell what I was. I thought I was…I thought I had…oh only a fool would try and describe what happened. No eyes could hear, no ears could see, no hand could taste, no tongue can feel, and no heart could report what just happened in my dream.

I think the purpose of this is to show the reader how confused Bottom is. What just happened to him really was real life, and he felt all those feelings in his dream. He really did love Titania, and he really was treated like a king. Of course being the annoying “ass” that he is, he just kept saying over and over again how no man could ever explain this dream. I sort of agree because what man could clearly explain that a little fairy boy used magic to turn an ordinary man into a donkey so a fairy queen could fall in love with him so the fairy king could steal her little Indian boy? I think it is funny how Bottom kept saying the wrong words as well, like saying no eyes could hear. That just doesn’t make sense! I think Shakespeare wanted to include the unknown about dreams. They are unexplainable sometimes and this is a big theme in the book. The unexplainable. I am excited to see what happens to Bottom and how he will react to things like this in the future.

• Great blog! Your writing was very interesting to read. I love how you brought up the point that Shakespeare wanted to create a feeling of confusing and of the unknown in Bottom’s speech. Keep up the good work. 🙂

3. When Bottom wakes up in Act IV, scene i of A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare, he says the following:

“I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was–there is no man can tell what. Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is but a patched fool, if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream
    was.” (IV. i. 214-225).

When paraphrased:

“I have had a very special dream. This dream, was indescribable by any man: if someone tries to interpret this dream, they are surely an ass. I thought I was–no, nobody can describe what it was. I thought I was–and thought I had–a person must truly be foolish to say what I thought I had. Man’s eyes have not seen, man’s ear has not heard, his hand is not able to feel, or his tongue conceive, or his heart describe, what my dream was.”

This was a great passage to read, and very entertaining. We were able to see Bottom doubt himself, a rare sight. Bottom is always portrayed as the cocky, confident worker, willing to take on and master any role. But here, he is forced to question himself. Did he really have that dream? Was it just a figment of his imagination? This scene was also important because it seemed to take Bottom down a notch. Instead of Bottom walking back to his friends, acting as if nothing ever happened, he is almost humbled and has to think about his actions. Yet, as always, he turns right around in a matter of lines, and proposes an idea to broadcast his dream through his performance in the play. As stated in previous blogs, I believe Shakespeare casts women in a stronger light than men in his plays. This seems to be an example, albeit in an indirect way. He adds to this idea by exploiting Bottom and making him seem weak. No matter how confident or how great you are, you can still be injured, he seems to be saying. In conclusion, I think this passage concerning Bottom is very important as it both characterizes him and adds to Shakespeare’s feminist angle.

• This is a really great blog, Matt. I agree with how you said that Bottom is weaker, and more vulnerable in this passage. Specifically how you brought up how Shakespeare writes Bottom as a weak man, and the rest of the women are strong. I wonder why Shakespeare chose to write Bottom as the man to show both sides of a man.

• I never thought about feminism in this passage. I am glad that you wrote about this, because I would not have noticed it. You supported your ideas very well. Great job Matt Clifford!

4. I have had a very stranger dream. I have had a dream, men with high knowledge cannot say explain this dream: that man is a fool, if he tries to explain this dream. I thought I was–no man can tell what. I thought I was,–and I thought I had,–but man is a clown, if he will try to explain the dream I had. The eye of man cannot hear, the ear of man cannot see, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to feel, nor his heart to report, what my dream was.

In Bottom’s speech, he talks about how bizarre his dream is. He states that no man can explain his dream, and if they did, they’d look foolish. Maybe that is why he doesn’t even try to tell the rest of the mechanicals f his dream. Ironically, Bottom says that a man who’d try to explain his dream would be an ass, and we all know that Bottom was that ass. The last part sees like a strange Shakespeare quote, that people reading it in 2018 wouldn’t understand, but according to the glossary in the book, it is just Bottom quoting St. Paul incorrectly. Typical Bottom behavior. Shakespeare could be trying to tell the reader that Bottom is wiser than we realize. We saw earlier that Bottom responded to Titania’s love with reason and knowledge. Also, he could be telling us that dreams are complicated, and that no one can truly understand them. This part is a little frustrating, though, because Bottom is brushing this experience off as a dream but a fairy queen was in love with him. Shakespeare showed us a philosophical outlook on dreams, and he was able to use the comical character Bottom to express these ideas.

• I really enjoyed reading your blog, you took away a different perspective of the play when reading it than I did and it was interesting to read what your own thoughts were. Good job!

5. I just had a weird dream. I just had a dream, and it would embarrass me to talk about it: I would be an ass if I went on to describe this dream. I thought I was something that no one can say. I thought I was, and I thought I had, but I would be a fool to tell what I thought I had. My eyes haven’t heard, my ears haven’t seen, my hands couldn’t taste, my tounge can’t explain, and my heart cannot say, what my dream was.

Bottom seems to believe that his past few hours were merely a dream. This was not a dream, and Bottom’s face was actually turned into an ass, in real life. He doesn’t realize this, and thinks that his past situation was fake and something that he saw while he was asleep. He also doesn’t want to talk about his dream, as nobody would want to tell other people about their face turning into an ass. But, everybody already knows what happened to Bottom. He seems very confused and lost, as he is linking all of the body parts to the incorrect senses, such as saying that his eyes couldn’t hear or his ears couldn’t see. He either knows what had just happened and is very reluctant to talk about it, or he is completely oblivious about what had just happened and is genuinely confused. Just like love, Shakespeare is also saying that dreams and magic are also strange and unreasonable concepts.

• I love the last comment you made! I hadn’t thought of that while reading it. Shakespeare does seem to put unreasonable things all throughput the play now that I think about it. Even people laying down and falling asleep in the middle of nowhere is unreasonable. Great job!

6. In Act IV scene ii of a Midsummer Night’s Dream, Bottom says:

I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was–there is no man can tell what. Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is but a patched fool, if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream was.

When Paraphrased it is:
    I have a rare dream. More than what a man would normally dream. Man is foolish not to go after his dream, I thought I was going after my dream that no man could tell me what my dream was. I thought I knew, I thought I had a dream but I am a fool to think that I was right. Because, I hadn’t realized, I hadn’t heard or seen and I wasn’t able to taste. My heart didn’t even know what my dream was.

Here, I think that Bottom is realizing who he is and what his dreams and aspirations are. Bottom, is among the Mechanicals in his status in life. This means that he is below many people he would never dream of someone like Titania wanting him around or loving him. But, when she was under a spell that made her love him, he was praised by her and treated better than he had ever been treated before in his entire lifetime. He got the attention that he had never had before and it was almost as if he was like royalty. He was treated kindly by Titania because she loved him and for the first time he was being waited on by hand and foot by her fairies. he had never had a taste of a life like this. A life with power, dignity and wealthiness. Titania’s life was nothing like his old one he did not have her stature or power and liked what it felt like. When he is turned back to a regular man with no donkey head he goes back to his friends. He wants to tell them of his great adventure in a new life. He wants to share with them the glance into a life like this. Before now, he never knew what was possible to have or to dream about in life. The only way he found out about it was because of Titania. Now he knows the possibilities that he has in his dreams and that those possibilities are endless. His hope for a good life and to dream big is inspiring although he isn’t usually a role model at least here Bottom is teaching us to dream.

7. I had a weird dream. I was so weird that I cannot even get the words to describe it. A person would be a idiot to even talk about this dream. I thought I was- there is no one that describe what I was. I thought and I thought I had- a person would be an idiot to describe what I had. No eye has ever heard, no ear has ever seen, no hand has tasted, or tongue felt, or heart described what my dream was like.

There are two definitions for dream. One is a dream you physically have when your asleep. The other, is what your aspirations are. This phrase that Bottom says applies to both definitions. Bottom thinks that the events that had occurred was a dream. After all, he had just woken up from a sleep. When he talks about dreams, he might also be talking about his aspirations. Bottom is portrayed as a stupid character, however, for once, someone loved him, and cared for him, and showed emotions that Bottom never had experienced before. He realizes how good that felt, to be in love, and to be treated right. Of course, Bottom was not treated terribly before Titania, however, Titania treated him like a person of high status and respect. Bottom does not want to loose it, and it is so unreal that it is like a dream, the physical kind. However, to him, it is also an aspiration. He wants others to treat him the way Titania treated him; with respect. Honestly, I do not exactly know what Shakespeare is telling us through his speech. However, I do have a general idea. Shakespeare is telling us that dreams and aspirations come from experiences, and that your dreams are influenced by the people around you. Bottom would have never thought of being treated with respect, until he met Titania. Titania opened a door for him, if Titania never did, Bottom would still be his stupid self. He would not even consider being treated like a high-class person. Through his speech, Shakespeare is telling us that our dreams are influenced the people around us.

• Great job! I love how you mentioned that dreams aren’t just things you think of when you are asleep but also things you aspire to do. Keep up the great work!

8. In tonights reading of Act IV scene i of A Midsummer Night’s Dream by WIlliam Shakespeare, we encounter Bottom as he wakes up from his so called dream. He stated:
    “I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream—past the wit of man to say what dream it was. Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was—there is no man can tell what. Methought I was, and methought I had—but man is but a patched fool if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report what my dream was.”
    In other words:
    What a weird dream I had. You can’t even describe such a weird dream. You’d be an ass if you even tried to explain it. I thought I was – no, nobody can even describe what I was. I thought I was, I thought I had – but a person would be an idiot to try to say what I thought I had. No eye has ever heard, no ear has ever seen, no hand has tasted, or tongue felt, or heart described what my dream was like

I don’t think that we are supposed to agree or disagree with his statement but rather learn from it. Bottom was so confused and he didn’t understand what happened so he insisted that it was a dream. My guess is that he couldn’t believe what happened so he just called it a dream instead of believing. If this is the case, maybe Shakespeare is trying to show us how no one has faith anymore and no one believes in crazy fantasies. Maybe he is trying to tell us to have more of an imagination rather then just saying how those things only happen in dreams. Another idea that we could learn from this is that people make mistakes and they don’t know everything. When people think they know everything, they just end up acting like an ass when inside they are confused. Maybe this “dream” was a realization for Bottom that people don’t know everything and they can be confused sometimes, which is important to know. These are all guesses but I do truly think that we don’t have to agree or disagree but learn from it.

9. At the end of Act IV, scene ii of a Midsummer Night’s Dream Bottom says,

“I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was–there is no man can tell what. Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is but a patched fool, if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream was.”

Paraphrased, this becomes,

I have had the most rare dream. I have had a dream, more than what a normal dream is: to try and explain this dream would make a man an ass. I thought I was- nobody can describe what. I thought I was- I thought I had,- a man would be foolish to say what I thought I had. Man’s eyes have not seen, and ears have not heard, man’s hand has not touched, tongue has not tasted, or heart has felt, what my dream was.

This passage characterized Bottom. Usually we see him being cocky and annoying; wanting to play every part, his head as a donkey. But here he doubts himself over and over again. It makes Bottom seem more vulnerable in the moment. He is taken back by what he has dreamt. Of course this doesn’t last long and he immediately goes back to being cocky and talking about the play. I have a few ideas to why Shakespeare made Bottom have this moment of doubt. First of all maybe he wanted to reassure the female strengths in the play. Bottom has been one of the only strong male characters in the play and Shakespeare might have wanted to not have such a strong male. Secondly, he might have wanted to show how Bottom can get over things quickly. He only doubts himself for a moment, and then is back to him old self. Maybe something will happen later on in the play where Bottom needs to get over something quickly, and Shakespeare is foreshadowing it now. Whatever it may be, I found this interesting. It is unlike Bottom to act like this and I wonder what Shakespeare’s reasoning is for it.

• I find it interesting that you said Shakespeare didn’t want such a strong male character, and that he wanted to reinforce the strengths of women . Bottom does say that it is past the wit of man to describe his dream. Perhaps this is another occurrence of the theme of gender in the play? Nonetheless, great job, Hailey.

10. In Act 4, scene i, Bottom wakes up from his “fantasy” and wakes up to his reality. He says (paraphrased)

I just had the weirdest dream. I don’t even have the words to describe it. If you tried to explain it, you would look like an ass/idiot. I thought I was–I thought I had–a person would be an idiot to describe what I was. The eye of man has never heard, seen, tasted, or their tongue has felt, or the heart to report what had happened to me.

Bottom wakes up from this “dream” that the Queen of Fairies, Titania, loved a mechanic such as Bottom. We see here a cocky and confident man start to doubt himself, whether or not this actually happened. It was surprising to see him in this state. I wonder if he was faking this astonishment. However, even if he was faking it, he realized that anything was possible. He could make the Queen fall in love with him. Even if he didn’t get a happily ever after with Titania, he still got a confidence boost.

11. I just had the weirdest dream. I had a dream, which is too complicated to describe: A man would be a fool if he was to attempt to explain this dream. I thought I was一it’s impossible to say it. I thought I was一and I thought I had,一but a man would be a fool, if he offers to say what I thought I had. Man’s eye has not heard, man’s ear has not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, hor his heart to report, what my dream was.

After Bottom wakes up in Act IV, scene i, for a second he believes that they are still rehearsing the play. When he notices that everyone is gone, he tries to describe the dream he had just had. He states that his dream was so confusing and hard to explain that nobody would be able to tell what it is. When Shakespeare writes these lines, he does not mean for us to debate about it or agree/disagree. The playwright simply wants to put this idea in our heads: dreams are confusing and don’t make sense. This outlook really makes sense with in the rest of the play. The whole story is strange; There are fairies, magic, and mystical plants. In addition, as we discussed in class, the previous scenes were really dreamlike. Why would so many characters just suddenly fall asleep on the spot? What is actually going on with their love triangle (or square)? All of these events are just like Bottom’s dream, in that they are obscure, don’t make sense, and are hard to explain.

12. “I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was–there is no man can tell what. Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is but a patched fool, if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream was,” (IV.i.214-225).

Paraphrased:
    I just had the weirdest dream. It was a dream so weird that it could not be explained by any man: he would be an ass if he tried to explain it. I thought I was—no, no one could possible describe what it was. I thought it was—and I thought I had—a person must be quite foolish to say what I thought I had. A man’s eyes had not heard, his ears had not seen, his hand had not tasted, nor tongue felt, nor heart explain what my dream was like.

I believe that the purpose of this passage was to show Bottom’s confusion. His actions and the things that happened to him seemed too ridiculous to happen in real life. And, truth be told, it seems like he really just woke up from a dream. If you have a ridiculous dream then you wake up, possible remembering part of it and grasping for the details. Once you remember the full thing, it just seems too ridiculous to explain. I believe Shakespeare is trying to convey a powerful message about dreams. Waking up is a fresh start. It’s a new day, with new possibilities. Forget about what may have happened in the past, and instead focus on the future. Also, he could be saying that life isn’t a dream. By using all these fictional characters that make the play seem absurd, the plot seems absurd. And Shakespeare could be using this to say that the idea of life being a dream is absurd.

• I enjoyed reading your blog. I liked how you used information from throughout the book to create deep messages regarding life and dreams. I look foward to seeing what theme or idea you will spot next.

13. I had the most unusual dream. I have had a dream that no man could ever explain. Man is an ass if he will try to explain it. I thought that I was – nobody can tell. I thought I was – I thought I had – but man is a fool if he tries to say what I thought I had. Man’s eyes haven’t heard, his ears haven’t seen, hands haven’t tasted, his tongue hasn’t felt, or his heart described what my dream was about.

Bottom here just woke up from his sleep and is very confused and a little embarrassed at what happened. Bottom says that no man could ever explain or describe what his dream was. Although it is all very explainable, Bottom doesn’t seem to want to tell anyone about it. When his fellow Mechanicals questioned him about it, he changed the topic and told them all to get ready for the play. One thing that interested me was that Bottom, and everyone else in the play who was asleep after the nectar, calls their experience a dream, when it sounded more like a nightmare. Hermia’s boyfriend fell in love with her best friend, Helena had two boys that hated her suddenly loving her, Lysander and Demetrius both fell in love with someone they did not like, and Titania fell in love with a man who had an ass-head. The things they went through seemed more like nightmares than dreams. In dream everything is good and happy, and none of the things that happened to the lovers was happy. Shakespeare was trying to tell us in Bottom’s speech that dreams and nightmares can be very alike. Puck, for example, is having a good time, and his experience would definitely classified as a dream if he were sleeping. What is happening to the lovers is not a dream, even though they keep referring to it as one.

14. I had the strangest dream. My dream was odd, no one could ever understand it: a man is little more than ass if he went to explain this dream. I thought I was – some creature that no one had heard about. I thought I was, -and I believe I had been, but a person would be an idiot, to try to describe the dream I had. No eye had ever heard, ear seen, hand tasted, tongue thought nor heart what my dream was like.

Some dreams are completely indescribable. However, what Bottom had wasn’t a dream. Bottom’s dream actually happened, but it was so strange, that Bottom remembered it as a dream. Bottom attempts to recall what he thought was a dream but fails and just expresses how crazy the so-called dream was. Of course, Bottom makes classic Bottom-like mistakes and confuses the senses when trying to emphasize how insane the experience was. Bottom makes two important claims in his speech: no one could possibly understand his dream and only fools would try to envision his dream. Of course, people could understand the dream because we understand it as readers, but that statement isn’t important. Bottom briefly makes the interesting claim that people that try to imagine the impossible are fools. I strongly disagree with that and so does Shakespeare. Imagination is a useful tool and important asset that actually prevents people from being fools. Shakespeare demonstrates the uses of imagination through his many similes and extended metaphors. It is interesting how Shakespeare can manage to make important statements regarding the reader while still managing to be comical and humorous at the same time.

15. In Act IV scene i, Bottom makes the following speech:

When Paraphrased, the speech can be read as:

“I have had the most bizarre dream. I have had a dream that no man can comprehend what it was: anyone who would attempt to explain this dream would be an ass. I thought I was, I don’t even know. I thought I was, and I thought I had, oh I don’t know. Only a fool would attempt to describe what I had just dreamt of. Eyes did not hear, ears did not see, hands did not taste, tongue did not receive, and heart did not feel what my dream was.”

At first, I didn’t know what was going on after reading this. My first reading of this quote lead me to believe that it was random and proposed nearly no message, as most texts do if overlooked. After giving it another chance, I knew that something was there, but almost like a couldn’t find it. I mean, how would you understand what is being said when the people speaking don’t even know what is being said. However, I realized that having no knowledge of what is going on is the exact message that is being sent. From this quote I took in confusion, an inability to express oneself, and an inability to express emotions. I know for a fact that each and every one of us had experienced a feeling or event that we just couldn’t describe or explain. It just happened, and it almost feels so random that you can’t believe it. This quote represents all those moments when you can’t describe an emotion you’ve felt, or you can’t explain why something is right or wrong.

Often we experience these situations in our lives, but it is our job to handle them. Shakespeare uses confusion to support the idea of logic that is most commonly presented in decision making. However, decisions should also be made based on what is morally correct. For example, one might argue that test chemicals on animals is ok because logically it may save human lives. However, morally it feels wrong because those animals have lives as well and feel pain just like us. At this point, I feel Shakespeare steps away from logic and shows the world that while logic is important, you should always do what you feel is right, even if you can’t explain why it is right.

16. I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was–there is no man can tell what. Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is but a patched fool, if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream was.(Act 4, scene 1, lines 214 – 224)

I’ve had an unusual dream. I’ve had a dream that is beyond man’s ability to conceive the meaning. Any man to try to find the meaning of this dream would make him an ass. I thought I was -no one can understand what. I thought I was -and I thought I had -but man is a professional fool if he says what I thought I had. The eye of man cannot hear, the ear of man cannot see, man’s hand has never tasted, his tongue never thought about, his heart has never reported, what my dream was.
    In this speech by Bottom, we see his first attempt to elaborate on his memories, but then quickly realizes that it would simply make him look ridiculous. He then cuts himself off multiple times for fear of making a fool of himself. He then attempts to state that there is no point in sharing his dream, as no one has ever seen something like the contents of his dream. I think the lesson here is about the stubborn and unchanging mind of society as a whole, and how society is not willing to accept new Ideas or norms, only if a large group of people accepts these norms/ideas will society begin to accept them as well.

17. I was given a rare vision. I have had a dream, intelligence of man to know what dream I has: man is an ass, if he tries to explain this dream. I thought I was an ass–there is no man who can tell I was. I thought I was,–and I thought I had,–but man is but a fool, if he offers to say what I thought I had. The eye of man did not hear, the ear of man didn’t see, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to devise, nor his heart to speak, what my dream was.

In this part of the scene, Bottom wakes up after the quarrel with Titania. He thinks of it as a vision, a dream. He is amazed by his “dream” that he wants to perform it for the wedding. He thinks that no one can really fully explain what his “dream” was. Usually, when someone is given a vision, their vision has a meaning. Bottom thinks that there is a meaning in his dream, but couldn’t seem to figure it out himself. There is a bit of irony though, since he thinks that it was a dream when the audience knows it was not a dream. I guess that this is Shakespeare’s way of saying that you cannot always understand what you see. Also, I noticed that in his speech there is references to God and the Bible, which is kind of intriguing since this book had several references to Greek gods.

18. At the end of Act IV Scene I, Bottom says the following:

Paraphrased:

I have had a very strange dream. I have had a dream that is beyond what any man can say it was: man would be foolish if he tried to explain this dream. I thought I was – there isn’t anyone who can say what I was. I thought I was, – and I thought I had, – though man is but a proper fool, if he tries to say what I thought I had. A man’s eye has not heard, his ear has not seen, his hand is unable to taste, his tongue to receive, nor his heart to describe, what my dream was.

This speech mostly includes Bottom’s confusion after he wakes up all alone, thinking everything that happened was only a dream. He can’t even begin to describe what the dream was, and he says that anyone who tried to describe it is a fool. I think that Shakespeare is trying to tell the reader that some things just can’t be explained, and that some things are better left alone. Some things just need to be accepted and moved on from, instead of dwelling on them and becoming obsessive. This doesn’t mean that you completely forget these strange things, but you hold onto them without trying to define or constrain them.

19. I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was–there is no man can tell what. Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is but a patched fool, if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream was.

Paraphrased

I have had the most strangest vision. I have had a dream that not even a smart and reasonable man can understand what my dream meant. That man would be an ass if he tried to explain my dream. I thought I was- no other person can say what I saw. I thought I was- and I thought I had-but every man that tries to figure out what I had is just a fool. The eye and ears of any man has not heard or seen or taste with their tongue from his heart to know what my dream was.

While reading this speech I was really confused and it was hard to follow on with what was trying to be conveyed. But once I thought about it a little more I came to a realization that Shakespeare purposely made this speech confusing and hard to follow on with. He did this to emphasize Bottoms confusion of the whole scenario. Since he doesn’t even know what exactly happens. Bottom realizes his dream sounds dumb but yet he can’t even explain this dream. Not to mention all the stuttering in this speech. All in all there may be a purpose to this confusing play of words after all.

20. I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was–there is no man can tell what. Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is but a patched fool, if he will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man hath not heard, the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart to report, what my dream was.

Paraphrasing:
    I have a most strange dream
    I have had a dream, past what man might believe when I say what it was
    Man is just an ass, if he goes around telling this dream
    I thought I was- no one can tell what
    I thought I was and thought I had
    But man is just a ragged fool, if he offers to say what I thought I had
    The eye of man did not hear
    The ear of man did not see
    Man’s hand is not able to taste
    Nor his tongue to make
    Nor his heart to say what my dream was.

Analysis:
    What I see here is anoher mission into the human psyche. Many people don’t say what happens to then if it is embarrassing, as we know it was for Bottom, and Bottom has kept it a secret giving into the irony that, we know what has happened to him, but other characters don’t. There is also a sense of duality because of the way Bottom described his secret, no eyes will here and no ears will see, which has a little bit of comedy to it because he was describing the ears as seeing when we all know we use ears to here. In conclusion, Bottom has given us yet another examination of man’s behavior.

21. This is Bottom’s speech paraphrased:

“I had the most outlandish dream, that man is unable to process: you have to be an ass to try to explain this dream. I thought I was- no person an explain what. I though I was- and I thought I had- but a person would insane to say what I thought happened to me. The eyes have not heard, the ears haven’t seen, the hands cannot taste, the tounge can not understand, and his heart can’t say, what my dream was.”

I think Shakespeare wants us to disagree with Bottom. I think the whole theme of the play is how far the lengths of the imagination can go. So I think where are supposed to want Bottom to share his dream, to express that no dream is too crazy, or to insane. I think Shakespeare is saying to dream of yours is to outlandish, and if you dream it, as corny it is, you can achieve it. We shouldn’t be embarassed of our dreams. We should share it with it others who can relate to you and your expriences.

22. I have seen a most unusual dream. I had a dream, past the knowledge of man to say what it was about: man would be like a donkey, if he were to try and explain it. I thought I was-there is no person to tell what. I though I was,-and I though I had,-but man is an idiot, if he tries to say what I though I had. Man’s eye cannot have heard, his ear not seen, his hands not tasted, his tongue not perceived, nor his heart reported, as to what my dream was.

This quote of Bottom’s is delivered after waking up to find everything back to normal; after his head is normal, Titania is nowhere to be found, and all is generally well. The audience knows that all the events in Bottom’s referred to “dream” did in fact happen, once again building the dramatic irony in the contrast of his assumptions and the audience’s knowledge.

23. In Act IV, Scene i of A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare, as Bottom wakes up he says:

“I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream,
    past the wit of man to say what dream it was: man
    is but an ass, if he go about to expound this dream.
    Methought I was–there is no man can tell what.
    Methought I was,–and methought I had,–but man is
    but a patched fool if he will offer to say what methought I had.
    The eye of man hath not heard,
    the ear of man hath not seen, man’s hand is not
    able to taste, his tongue to conceive, nor his heart
    to report, what my dream was.”

Paraphrased:
    I had a very strange and interesting dream
    You can’t even describe such a weird dream.
    You’d be an ass if you even tried to explain it.
    I thought I was—no, nobody can even describe what I was.
    I thought I was, I thought I had—but a person
    would be a fool to try to say what I thought I had.
    No eye has ever heard, no ear has ever seen, no hand has tasted,
    or tongue felt, or heart described what my dream was like.

This speech is very interesting and significant to the story. Bottom who is among the mechanical or common class was loved by Titania, Queen of the fairies, when she was under the spell. In terms of status, there is a large gap between o queen of anything and a commoner, so this was completely unbelievable, as stated in the dream. For Bottom, he has never experienced anything like Titania’s love and company, that he couldn’t even believe it happened. Throughout his speech, he goes on with many reasons why this must be a dream. In addition, Bottom seems to doubt himself for the first time while he is questioning himself. Bottom declares he’ll have Quince write a ballad about it, called “Bottom’s Dream,” because it has no bottom. He seems weak and vulnerable in this passage. Moreover, this play is titled A Midsummer Night’s DREAM, meaning that there must be an important aspect of dreams. I wonder where else we will see dreams play a large role in the story.