Shall I compare thee to my mistress eyes?

Tonight, please write your response to the sonnets we looked at in class.  We’re going to talk more about these two sonnets tomorrow, and you will choose one of them to memorize over break, but meanwhile, what are  your thoughts so far?   One idea for your response could be compare and contrast.  How are they similar and how are they different?

Some more questions you may want to consider for your analysis:

• What patterns such as rhythm, rhyme, word choice or imagery, do you notice about your sonnet?
  • What literary elements, such as simile, metaphor, alliteration, etc., do you notice and what effect do they have on the overall sonnet?
  • What is the most important underlying message of your sonnet?

As always, you MUST provide specific evidence from your text, proofread your writing for spelling, punctuation, and grammar.  Please also respond to at least one other comment in this thread.

Sonnet blog #1

35 thoughts on “Shall I compare thee to my mistress eyes?

1. In class today, we read two very famous sonnets written by William Shakespeare, Sonnets 18 and 130. The first, Sonnet 18, Shakespeare had written to a young man. He praises him saying “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?/ Thou art more lovely and more temperate” (ll. 1-2). He compares the person to a summer, and then points out how he is better because he is more gentle and beautiful. Sonnet 130, however is a stark contrast. Shakespeare instead talks this time to a lady, and in a much more negative light. This is shown as he says, “My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun;/ Coral is far more red than her lips’ red;” (ll 1-2). He points out all the negative attributes to the woman, first commenting on her body, and then her breath, voice and gait. He compares this women to everything better than her, for instance, the coral, which is more red than her lips. This provides an interesting comparison. While the earlier sonnet, 18, compares the boy to summer in a positive light, the later one uses the same technique in the opposite way. I find it interesting, also, that he was more positive in the earlier one than in the late one. It makes me wonder if anything happened to the young man that Shakespeare was writing to. Did he die, or did another dramatic event occur causing Shakespeare to write more negatively later on? Personally, I favor the first sonnet. It seems more positive and uplifting than the degrading second one. I think the main message of this sonnet over the other one shows ust how much Shakespeare cared for this young man, while the other one just shows how he resents the woman he was writing to. Furthermore, I wonder why he even wrote this sonnet for this woman if all it was meant for was degrading her. Overall, I find both of these sonnets interesting, particularly when compared side by side.

• Great job, Matt. I wonder who the people are that Shakespeare writes about, and why he wrote about them in such a way as well.

• I also find them interesting because there is a sense of mystery in them. We don’t who Shakespear is talking about in either of these sonnets.

2. After reading the sonnets a couple of times, my first conclusions are that it’s hard to understand, even more so than the Mythology books. Shakespeare’s style of writing and the way he forms sentences is odd, and sometimes unintelligible. This, and the many archaic words he utilizes can probably be attributed to the time period Shakespeare wrote his poems. For example, in sonnet 18, he writes, “And every fair from fair sometime declines/ By chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimm’d…” As of now, I can’t really comprehend what he is trying to say, but I hope I will understand more as our unit progresses. That aside, the sonnets can be compared and also contrasted to each other. Both seem to be speaking of someone, but the earlier sonnet, sonnet 18, seems to be speaking about someone in a positive light. He describes that person as “lovely” and “temperature,” as well as many other praising words. In the 6th line, Shakespeare uses the word his, thus leading me to believe he is talking about a male. Sonnet 130 however, talks about his mistress, and instead negatively. This time, he describes the woman with phrases like, “[Her] eyes are nothing like the sun/ Coral is far more red than her lips’ red,” or “And in some perfumes is there more delight/ Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.” A way in which they are similar that I noticed is that, at the end of both sonnets, the last two lines are indented. They also seem to have a different feel than the rest of the poem, sort of wistful or thoughtful.

• Great job! I love the way that you looked at the text and not only found the meaning of it, but also you saw Shakespeare’s authors craft moves and built your thoughts off of it. Keep up the great work!

3. As an Introduction to Shakespeare, these sonnets have been eye-opening to the style and language of Shakespeare. While sonnet 18 is positive and prideful, almost arrogant, not seeing the faults in the subject, there is an obvious change in the tone and the ability of the speaker to perceive both the pros and cons of the subject. In sonnet 18, he describes the subject as better than a lovely summer day, “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate… thy eternal summer shall never fade.”(Lines 1-2, 7). This is in heavy contrast to Sonnet 130’s darker, yet wiser tone and theme, “My Mistresses eyes are nothing like the sun; Coral is far more red than her lips’ red… And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare As any she belied with false compare.” Sonnet 18, in saying that the subject shall live on forever in the lines of the poem forever more beautiful than a summer’s day, at first glance this seems to be simply a glorification: seeing someone in a positive light. Yet nature is not perfect, and so neither are humans. Therefore, it is arrogance that prevails throughout sonnet. In stark contrast, Sonnet 130, seems at the original glance to be a poem of darkness and hate, yet we see that that is not at all the theme or tone poem conveys. Instead, it is a wise message of true love and perception. The speaker acknowledges the faults of the subject, and yet describes her as a love rare and like no other. He loves her for who she is, not how she looks. In sonnet 130 we find a deep and perceptive wisdom completely unlike the arrogance of Sonnet 18.

4. In class today, we heard two different sonnets, sonnet 18 and 130, by WIlliam Shakespeare. These two sonnets have different tones that allow the reader to feel a certain way when someone reads it. In the first sonnet, sonnet 18, Shakespeare is comparing his love to something glorious. The sonnet starts with, “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate”. When he writes these, he explains how he can’t exactly explain the feeling of his love but if he was to compare it to something, he could compare it to a summer’s day, even though, he feels as if his love is even greater and is more desirable. Shakespeare then mentions, “And summer’s lease hath all too short a date: Sometimes too hot the eye of heaven shines.” After reading this part I was confused on whether or not the summer day is his love and he is mentioning that on some days things get ruff and others his love might go by too quickly. This part of the sonnet could also show how summer isn’t always great but his love is. Next the sonnet mentions, “And every fair from fair sometime declines,
    By chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimm’d; But thy eternal summer shall not fade.” This quote is very important because it shows how everything beautiful will eventually fade away because if everything is beautiful then nothing would truly be beautiful. The change he mentions can happen by accident or on purpose. In the end of the sonnet he mentions, “So long as men can breathe or eyes can see, So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.” This goes to show the love would live forever even if something happens to them. Overall, this sonnet shows happy things unlike sonnet 130. In sonnet 130, all of the imperfections of the women are pointed out. The sonnet mentions, “My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun; Coral is far more red than her lips’ red.” This shows the things that are bad about her. In my opinion, these sonnets show a good lesson of, things get much happier thing are once you look at the good and forget about the bad. This lesson of ignoring the bad can be useful in life because if you keep looking at all the mistakes a person made, you will miss out on the amazing things they did. Also, everybody make mistakes and it’s completely normal so by only looking at their mistakes, you won’t see their powerful impact on the world.

• Great blog. I love how you put that the lesson of ignoring the bad and sticking with the good is very important and that making mistakes is ok. You described both sonnets beautifully. Keep up the good work! 🙂

5. Today in class we listened to sonnets 18 and 130 by William Shakespeare. Sonnet 18 is about a young man and Shakespeare talks about him in a very positive way. He writes “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?Thou art more lovely and more temperate:” Shakespeare compares the man to a summer’s day and says how the man is lovely. This sonnet is positive, however, sonnet 130 is not. In this sonnet, Shakespeare is talking about a women. He writes“My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun; Coral is far more red than her lips’ red;” He says how her eyes aren’t bright like the sun and how her lips aren’t red. He also writes “ I have seen roses damasked, red and white, But no such roses see I in her cheeks;” He writes how he has seen roses and how her cheeks don’t look like them. This sonnet has a negative tone. A factor in this may be when Shakespeare wrote this. He wrote sonnet 18 a while before sonnet 130. It is possible his views may have changed being he was older and wiser.
    Over break, I will be memorizing sonnet 18. In this sonnet, Shakespeare uses a simile by comparing the young man to summer. He writes “And summer’s lease hath all too short a date; Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,” Shakespeare is saying how the summer is too short which may mean his time with the man goes by fast. He also says that sometimes summer is too hot which may be Shakespeare pointing out a flaw with the man. At the end, he writes “So long as men can breathe or eyes can see, So long lives this, and this gives life to thee”. He is saying that as long as he lives he will have this man and that gives him life. The underlying message of my sonnet is that Shakespeare is saying the young man is better than a summer day. “Thou art more lovely and more temperate:” He is saying the man is more lovely than a summer’s day.

6. In class, we were given two of Shakespeare’s famous sonnets. Sonnet 18, the first one that we read, had a cheerful and happy tone. In many cases, Shakespeare is talking greatly about a man. He is complimenting and pointing out all of his good qualities. He says things and compares the man to things such as summer, and his gold complexion. Sonnet 130 has a very different feeling to it, a sad and grim tone. In this sonnet, Shakespeare is pointing out qualities of another person once again. But this time, it is all of the bad qualities about a woman. In the first sonnet, the man was compared to summer, but now he is saying that this woman’s eyes are nothing like the sun. He also states that he does not see the pretty color of roses in her cheeks, and also states that he would rather listen to music than to hear her speak. But, in the end, he still loves her, even though she has all of those flaws. The two poems both talk about a single person, but have different tones. Shakespeare points out all of the good qualities of a man in Sonnet 18, and all the bad qualities of a person in Sonnet 130. But, both of the people that he writes about probably have an opposite side to them that Shakespeare does not mention.

• I agree that Shakespeare does seem to only be pointing out the bad side of women and the gloriousness of men. However, sonnet 130 isn’t all about faults of women. The sonnet ends by saying the narrator loves thee person, so they cannot be all that bad if the narrator loves the subject.

7. “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate:” This is the opening line of Shakespeare’s eighteenth Sonnet. As we can see, it talks about warm things like summer and uses it to convey the beauty of someone. “My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun; Coral is far more red than her lips’ red;” Here are the opening lines of Sonnet 130. We can immediately see how this beginning contrast with the beginning of sonnet 18. This beginning discusses how dark and pale his mistress is. Both sonnets are used to describe people that the narrator likes. In Sonnet 18, the entire sonnet is spent complimenting a person while Sonnet 130 ends with, “I think my love as rare As any she belied with false compare.” The last quote says that the narrator loves his mistress. Both sonnets are similar in that they have a rhyme scheme of ABAB CDCD EFEF GG (Three quatrains and a closing couplet). The underlying message in both novels is about love and beauty. In sonnet 18 it is about the how even after a person may lose their beauty a poem will remain forever. Sonnet 130 is about how love is blind. Even though the mistress may not be pretty, the narrator still loves her.

8. For the sonnet that I will be learning to memorize over break by Shakespeare, I wanted to choose one that I felt the beauty of in my heart. The sonnet that I chose is sonnet 18. Sonnet 18 is a beautifully written composition of Shakespeare expressing his love to a beloved of his. He compares her to a “summer’s day” when I read that line, I imagine the true beauty and hope that this person that he loves gives him. Here, Shakespeare is expressing the love that many people feel and see when they are near their loved ones. A summer’s day is one of magic that can bring out all the best in people. The light of the sun hits the one that you love and who see them in all of their glory from your own eyes. To you, they are beautiful no matter what they have done or what they have been through and Shakespeare wants to convey that feeling and emotion to us, his readers through his writing. He explains to us in poetry how that although so many days of summer pass by in the blink of an eye, if you are with the ones you love they can feel like forever and 30 seconds looking into the eyes of the ones you love can feel like eternity. Shakespeare, like many or all poets, wrote to make the audience feel something and teach them something. He wrote sonnet 18 to make us believe in the magic of love and a fleeting feeling of hope in one that you always want to be around. In the same way that everyone has hope in summer to be all year round and not go to school. Sonnet 18 is a beautiful sonnet and will be inspiring to memorize.

• Great job, Ryan! I love your analysis of sonnet number 18! The way you explain a Summer’s day is splendid! Keep it up, you’re doing great!

9. The two speakers David Tennant and Stephen Fry read two different sonnets with different views to them. David Tennant speaks of it in a very Shakespearian way, emphasizing several words and said it as a poem. If you pay enough attention, you can hear the sonnet rhyming. Stephen Fry on the other hand thought of it in a completely different way. He talks of it not as a tale or a poem, but a mere story he is telling to his friends. He was speaking naturally, like what we did in class last week. You could hear no pauses or rhymes, just a man talking about his mistress. It makes it seem more casual than mysterious or dark. In a way I prefer the way David Tennant had spoke. He spoke in such a way that made it even more dramatic, making it more interesting, at least for me.

10. Today, we read two sonnets by Shakespeare, sonnet 18, which was about a beautiful man and was written in an overall positive attitude, while sonnet 130, which was about a lady who wasn’t the prettiest, was in more of a somber mood. To be honest, I think that Great Expectations was harder to understand than Shakespeare. Of course Shakespeare uses unfamiliar words that were used long ago and phrases such as the one in sonnet 130. “I have seen roses damask’d, red and white,/ But no such roses see I in her cheeks:” I will be memorizing sonnet 130, and I noticed that most of the imagery in connected with plants and nature. “My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun;/ Coral is far more red than her lips’ red:/ If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;”(sonnet 130) The sun, corals, snow, and roses that he later on mentions are all connected to nature. Whatever characteristics that she has are contradicting nature, in a way. The sun is bright, but her eyes aren’t. Coral is red, but her lips aren’t. This might lead us to think that the lady that Shakespeare is writing about is unnatural, since nothing about her has anything to do with nature, color, or light. But even though this woman seems unnatural, Shakespeare writes that he, unlike other, will not give her false compliments and shower her with soft words. He speaks the truth, and he still loves her. I don’t think that this was meant to offend her, but to show her, and others, that love doesn’t depend on how you look or act, it depends on the person inside. Shakespeare wrote that into his sonnet, just in a much more deeper and complicated way.

11. In class, we took a look at Shakespeare’s Sonnet 18 and Sonnet 130. I am really glad that we got a chance to actually listen to the poems being read, as we can hear the rhythms and the feelings the poem brings out. However, we have to keep in mind that each person reads the poems differently. In the videos above, we can tell that David Tennant and Stephen Fry reads the poems in different ways. They emphasize certain words, and speaks the poems in different tones. The way the poem is read highly impacts the way the poem is expressed, therefore slightly altering the meaning the poem gives. I think it’s important to listen to the poem and get a feel for the rhythm and rhyme, and the emphasis of different words.
    I’d like to focus on Sonnet 18. This poem really stood out to me when we read it in class, because the word “summer” gave out a positive vibe, and I just like hearing summer. I think that Shakespeare really made a good choice on using the word “summer”. It is a very good word to represent the positives, the lights and the beauty of something, or in this case, someone. To generalize, Shakespeare is comparing a summer’s day to love. However, I am beginning to realize that Shakespeare is stating some bad things about summer. “Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May;/ And summer’s lease hath all too short a date;/ Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,”. Shakespeare is listing the faults of summer. How its winds are too rough, how it is too short, and how it is sometimes too hot. Shakespeare is saying that all beauty has faults that love isn’t perfect.

12. Tonight we started Shakespeare. To start off, I think that Shakespeare is really hard to understand because the meaning of it is confusing. I focused mostly on Sonnet 130. There is a rhyme scheme of ababcdcdefefg (I think). Shakespeare words like coral, snow, wire, the sun, roses, and perfumes. What I don’t get is why he uses both the sun and snow to describe his mistress. They are complete opposites. Also, if Shakespeare is talking about the guy loves his mistress, why does he say so many negative things about her, if he loves his mistress? I think the underlying message is that people should not be judged by appearance because it definitely seems as though the mistress is not a pretty person. Her breath smells, her hair is like wires, her voice does not sound good, and she does not smell good. If anything, you can relate her to an ugly person instead of a pretty person. Other than the fact that some people say it energetically and some say it in a way that it sounds dull, I don’t see any other differences in the videos.

• Great analysis, Aniket. I think that sonnet 130 has a tone of disappointment and annoyance with the mistress for not being his expectation, but you are correct in saying that he still loves her.

13. After reading the two sonnets written by Shakespeare, a pattern is very clear in the pieces. However, they are very different. Sonnet 18 begins by comparing the person to a summer’s day, filled with flower buds, and how the internal summer shall not fade. Sonnet 130 begins by comparing his mistresses eyes to the sun, and how coral’s red will always outshine the hue of her lips, if there was any color to begin with. Both of the sonnets begin with a simile. Sonnet 18’s simile sets the poem up for lines of innocent romance, and the emotion and the emotion you get when you see the one you love. It’s tone is very warm, and I can see the green of the leaves, and I can feel the warmth of the summer breeze. Sonnet 130’s simile says that is mistresses’ eye are nothing like the sun, an from there, the sonnet describes everything that the woman lacks. This sonnet makes me think of winter, because I can see the snow on the ground, and how her complexion is far paler. His descriptions are chilling. The first sonnet reminds me of having the loving connection with someone. It is like a story of youth in love. The concept of love seems new to the narrator, and they are trying to find the words to emphasize their lover’s beauty. Sonnet 130 reminds me of an old, and dying relationship. The narrator can’t even see the good in his mistress any longer, and he is simply tired. Tired of being with such an underwhelming person, tired of being with this person. This narrator remind see of Ethan Frome, and what he fells about Zeena. One sonnet is more innocent, and the other has wisdom, and age to it.

14. In the reading of Shakespeare’s sonnets numbers 18 and 130, and found it fascinating how the rhythm and emphasis on. Certain lines could give such light and meaning to these sonnets. How masterfully they were put together is beautiful, and the way one person can read it could be completely different from how someone else might read it, which sheds light on to different meanings based on the experiences the person wading would like to convey. I personally, love the fact that such thought, talent, and creativity was put into these vibrant sonnetts, and it makes me think, how bright could your mind have been to come up with such simple but complex short poems? All the people who have read them so perfectly clearly have talent as well, the way they have such keenness with the rhythm in order to convey a certain message is fantastic. This makes me think about the real understanding and meaning of literature in itself. Of course it is knowledge, but the moral universe each story or poem or play tries to give off, and the different ways it is interpreted, the way literature molds your mind into an eye-opening thought is just such an amazing feeling, and that, I believe is what Shakespeare gives me with the way he wrote the most astonishingly beautiful pieces of literature.

15. We read two sonnets today in class: Sonnet #18 and Sonnet #130. These two sonnets are very different; however, they’re still very similar. They both profess their love for their ladies in their own ways. In Sonnet 18 it says, “shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate…” I find summer to be one of the most beautiful seasons. Summer is a time of joy and happiness. The sun is bright, and your hopes are high. He has the hopes for his love like a summer’s day. However, in Sonnet 130 it says, “and in some perfumes is there more delight
    Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks. I love to hear her speak, yet well I know that music hath a far more pleasing sound….” Although, he still loves this woman with all of his heart, he looks at her differently. He doesn’t flatter her with a tremendous amount of compliments and is very truthful. However, I find that when I read today, and talked with my group members, he loves her just the way that she is. And he describes her in such a way that she is portrayed the way she was meant to be. Also, this is a bit off topic but when we were listening to various people read the Sonnets, we could easily tell the difference between a young man, (Daniel Radcliffe), and an experienced man (Alan Rickman) read. When Alan Rickman read, he paused in all of the right places, and put emphasis on the right words. You could really understand it. I know I did. I am excited to read more of Shakespeare.

16. Sonnets 18 and 130 which we read and analyzed in class seem to be polar opposites in the way their told and in their overall tone. I personally preferred sonnet 130, I feel that it had more meaning to it much more emotion there and that behind that sonnet is very dark but somewhat beautiful story. The morriss he refers to in the sonnet, is heavily criticized. Her breath, her hair, her voice and her looks are critized by Shakespeare. And just something about feels more raw,real and passionate than sonnet 18. Sonnet 18 to me feels hallow like your first impression of someone. Sonnet 130 feels like you’ve been with someone for many years and you’ve come to love every single one of their flaws and find beauty in their flaws whilst still acknowledging that they are there. Sonnet 18 is so innocent, so pure and so jovial it’s too idealistic. It’s the beginning of a friendship or relationship and sonnet 130 is after many, many years of knowing someone. I feel as though sonnet 130 has more meaning because to pen such a deep and somewhat cynical analysis of one’s character you have to have a very strong bond. You have to know someone very well to write such things about then like Shakespeare did. Sonnet 18 is of two people who have only seen the good in each other, to truly understand and connect with a person on a deep level you must acknowledge and accept the good along with the bad. Sonnet 18 lacks that and makes it feel emotionally hallow and shallow to me. Also I preferred Alan Rickman recordings of sonnet 130 over David Tenant’s of 18. The way Daniel Radcliffe read the poem was so negative in a way. He sounded hopeful like the sonnet was him expressing the problems and flaws of his lover as if their relationship is dying and hopes to reconcile with her. Alan Rickman expressed it as more of a man who had been with a woman for such a long time and he sees so much bad in her but he doesn’t want her to change. He acknowledges that the woman he has studied and observed in such detail is deeply flawed. Sonnet 130 says so many things, and I feel like 18 doesn’t really challenge the way think it all and it’s jut kind of pretty and not deep or emotional and it’s just kind of sweet.

17. In class, we read and listened to the two sonnets by Shakespeare. It was interesting when Ms. Quinson made the comparison of Shakespeare to a modern day rapper, which shows that it was a common thing for people to write poetry. However, in rap these days, you can understand what people are talking about. Shakespeare, on the other hand, appears to speak in another language so advanced that nobody can understand him. For example, “But thy eternal summer shall not fade, Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st; Nor shall Death brag thou wander’st in his shade, When in eternal lines to time thou grow’st,”(Lines 9-12). I mean, I really don’t understand this. A few confusions come up in the grammar. What’s up with the use of contractions? Having words like grow’st and ow’st just plain out confuse me in their meaning. The older English writing style is very different and contains many variations that appear often in Shakespeare’s work. Also, another interesting concept is when in line 11. “Nor shall Death brag thou wander’st in his shade”. Why did he capitalize death? Is death being used as a person in this situation, and why? What does this add to the meaning that wouldn’t be there without it? So many questions, it really has me overthinking not only the meaning behind this but also everything else I do.

18. In class, we took a look at and discussed famous sonnets by William Shakespeare. Specifically, sonnets 18 and 130. We studied each dinner individually, but how to they compare? For starters, both are on the topic of “my mistress”, which in this context most likely means their spouse. But it is worth considering that it might be symbolizing something else. A large portion of famous Latvian literature is centered around patriotism, and often symbolizes and personifies the Latvian spirit, people, and land. Shakespeare was not particularly famous for his patriotism, but it definitely would make sense if he would. “My mistress” could very likely then be his country, and when he compliments her, he could be highlighting various admirable features of the country. And when he describes terrible things it could be crime, war, poverty, or anything else that plagues a nation. Another way the poems compare is that one highlights how great “my mistress” is, and the other expresses how ugly or undesirable she is. 18 does the praising, and 130 does the nitpicking. It is definitely worth taking note of their themes on relation to when they were made. 18’s glee possibly expresses how great someone appears in youth. 130 is many many sonnets later, and would conceivably been written with greater experience. It illustrates how lack of love can only truly be felt and understood in later years of life. It links back to Ethan Frome, when nobody in the class liked it. This is likely because no longer loving someone is a pretty mature theme.

19. In the two sonnets written by Shakespeare, the writing was very odd and sometimes difficult to understand. Oftentimes in his writing, Shakespeare tends to write very confusing but important lines in his writing. The first, Sonnet 18, Shakespeare had written to a young man whom he had praised,“Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?/ Thou art more lovely and more temperate” (ll. 1-2). He compares the person to a summer, and then points out how he is better because he is more gentle and beautiful. On the flip side, Sonnet 130, contrasts to the previous sonnet by instead talks this time to a lady, and in a much more negative light, “My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun;/ Coral is far more red than her lips’ red;” (ll 1-2). This sonnets is focused on negatively with him first commenting on her body, and then her breath, voice and gait. In addition, both sonnets have the same rhyme pattern of ABAB CDCD EFEF GG, the content of both writing is both novels is about love and beauty. In sonnet 18 it is about the how even after a person may lose their beauty a poem will remain forever. Sonnet 130 is about how love is blind. Even though the mistress may not be pretty, the narrator still loves her. I can’t wait to read more shakespeare, and find out how he writes. Although some of this text is difficult, I hope it’ll make better sense, and I can find it enjoyable.

20. Between Sonnets 18 and 130, I have chosen to recite Sonnet 18. Both sonnets are very different. Sonnet 18 is about a man who is perfect. “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? / Thou art more lovely and more temperate: / Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, / And summer’s lease hath all too short a date,” (ll. 1-4, Sonnet 18). Here. Shakespeare is comparing this man to summer. However, he is saying that this man is better than summer. Sonnet 130 is about a woman who Shakespeare makes seem repulsive, but he loves her. “My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun; / Coral is far more more red than her lips’ red: / If snow be white be white, why then her breasts are dun; / If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head,” (ll. 1-4, Sonnet 130). This woman is being made out as someone full of imperfections and flaws in physical qualities. However, “And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare / As any she belied with false compare,” (ll. 13-15, Sonnet 130). He still loves her for who she really is.

Sonnet 18 is pretty much a simile. This man is being compared to summer through the entire sonnet, except for the ending (which I’ll get into later). Basically, Shakespeare is pointing out all the flaws in summer, and how this man contains none of those flaws (from now on I will refer to the man as “he” and “his”, and Shakespeare as Shakespeare). “Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, / And often his gold complexion dimm’d; / And every fair from fair sometime declines, / By chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimm’d;” (ll. 5-8, Sonnet 18). In this quote, Shakespeare is saying that a) sometimes the sun is too bright, b) sometimes the clouds cover the sun, c) the sun’s beauty will eventually die out, because of d) time. “But thy eternal summer shall not fade, / Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st; / Nor shall Death brag thou wander’st in his shade, / When in eternal lines to time thou grow’st:” (ll. 8-13, Sonnet 18). Shakespeare is saying that his beauty will never fade, and he will never give up his beauty. Death would not seize him, for he is immortalized in this poem.

Now, the ending, which I believe to be the most interesting part. “So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see, / So long lives this, and this gives life to thee,” (ll. 14-15, Sonnet 18). Like Mr. Enright said, Shakespeare is extremely arrogant. He believed, then, that his poetry would be forever remembered by mankind. I really don’t know how to feel about this, especially since he was right. I do feel a little upset that Shakespeare was really so arrogant. It kind of ruined the poem. At the same time, though, it made it even more interesting, and kind of makes me like it more. It also makes me wonder whether Shakespeare said that because he was successful, or that Shakespeare was successful because he believed that. Either way, it just makes Shakespeare’s character even better. It shows that even a legend like Shakespeare has his flaws, too.

21. Sorry this is late! I didn’t realize we had a blog! In this blog, I wanted to focus on sonnet 18, and what Shakespeare meant in this poem. He was basically comparing his love with a nice summer day. However he feels his love is better than summer for many reasons. “Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, And summer’s lease hath all too short a date: Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, And often is his gold complexion dimm’d; And every fair from fair sometime declines, By chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimm’d” He used this pattern of showing how the best parts of summer also has its trade-offs, which I think is very interesting. Some might see this as an epic simile, where he is comparing the bad parts of summer to all other women, meaning he would think his love is perfect compared to everyone else. I think the overall meaning of the sonnet is true love without imperfections. Shakespeare always talks about fairness and beauty in women, which is what he is trying to convey through this piece. Many people will look at one of shakespeare’s pieces and freak out once they see “thee” or “thou.” The way to understand shakespeare is to find keywords and just think about how the words feel. This poem was meant to feel light-hearted and beautiful because it talks about the beauties and trade-offs of summer. Most of all, he wants his love to know that she is better than anything else, which is really sweet. I love this sonnet because it creates a beautiful picture in my mind.

22. In both sonnet 18 and 130 Shakespeare seems to two differing views of two people. In sober 18 the tone seems to be more upbeat and full of praise. He seems to be talking about a young man but is comparing him to be better than a summer day by basically telling him he is perfect. Pointing out flaws in a summer’s day while seeing no error with the young man. I wonder who this young man is and what kind of connection he has with Shakespeare. In something 130 however it is a more resentful mood. In this sober Shakespeare’s compares a woman to be physically unappealing in any way. Comparing unusual things to be prettier than her. Making her look somewhat of a horrifying monster in our eyes. I have the same curiosity about this woman as I did with the young man. All in all these two sonnets contrast very differently with one another with something 18 being more up beat and 130 having a depressing tone to it.