It was Jem’s turn to cry.

Tonight please read chapters 22 and 23 of To Kill a Mockingbird.   Then write your response.  Please consider the following questions:

• What passage or passages strike you as interesting or singular and why?
  • What topics do you want to discuss with the class tomorrow?
  • Why do you think these topics may generate interesting discussion?

As always, please use standard written English in your comment and respond to at least one other comment in this thread.

Two reminders:  Keep annotating and review those flash cards!  Make sure you quiz yourself each and every night, once or twice on the words.  If you do, you are sure to ace the vocabulary section of our Mockingbird assessment.

TKM blog #11

51 thoughts on “It was Jem’s turn to cry.

1. These chapters were quite eventful. I think most importantly Tom Robinson was shot and killed after trying to escape from prison. In the situation he felt desperate and couldn’t handle the prison camp and fled. I think this adds to the title to kill a mockingbird. An innocent man was killed because of racial injustices and circumstances he couldn’t control. How could you kill a mockingbird who did nothing? How could you kill Tom Robinson who did nothing wrong ?

2. These chapters showed us how Atticus was threatened by Mr.Ewell. Scout and Jem are very concerned about this because Atticus accused Mr.Ewell of bearing Mayayella in court. This enraged Mr.Ewell and could lead him to make a harsh act. Also Jem has told Scout about the people in the town. Most importantly about Boo Radley. Jen says that he doesn’t want to come. I wouldn’t either because this town seems corrupt. This will possibly affect Scout and her views on the town.

• Good job! I agree with you that this will possibly affect the town. I think that as Scout gets older, which is maybe a motif, she will come to realize that nothing is perfect, not even sweet old Maycomb.

3. After reading chapters 22-23 of To Kill a Mockingbird, one scene that stuck out to me was when it was revealed that all the African Americans in Maycomb left gifts to Atticus Finch for his handling of the case. The day after he was defeated in court, Calpurnia came into the kitchen to find it, “loaded with enough food to bury the family: hunks of salt pork, tomatoes, beans, even scuppernongs. Atticus grinned when he found ajar of pickled pigs’ knuckles.” (page 286). This again shows the feeling of the African Americans towards the Finches. Although they lost the case, they still dedicated anything the could give to the Finches. This becomes even more apparent when it is realized that Maycomb has fallen on hard times during the depression. However, an added element reveals something deeper about the black people. When Atticus is shamed by Bob Ewell after the case, the black people show their support for him by giving him food and other items, it is revealed that they are not afraid of Bob Ewell or any of his family. They feel the need to support Atticus for standing up for Tom Robinson when no one else would. This makes me wonder why Harper Lee in the novel. I think she might have put it in there to try and lessen the segregation in the novel. Throughout the novel, it is seen that there is a huge divide between the blacks and whites of Maycomb County, and that a lot of the whites are racist. However this scene seems to bridge the gap between black and white and the big idea of segregation seems to soften, albeit subtly. I believe it is also to show that not all black people are bad, rather many are quite generous, and give what they can.

One question I have after reading these chapters is, What is the future of Atticus Finch and the Finch family as a whole. Bob Ewell, the main antagonist of the novel, “stopped Atticus on the post office corner, spat in his face, and told him he’d get him if it took the rest of his life.” (page 290). If Bob Ewell carries out his threat, which seems a possibility, will he kill Atticus? Would the FInch children be targeted as well? Although this seems unlikely, Bob Ewell does seem like the character to murder in cold blood. Going into the next few chapters, it will be interesting to see what Bob Ewell chooses to do, as well as what will happen to Tom Robinson and Atticus.

• Nice blog, Matt. I liked how you said that Harper Lee tried to show something to us. Also, nice job explaining your thoughts.

• Matt, I like your questions and I agree that the scene where the black community brought food for Atticus was surprising but pleasant. You also have great evidence and explanations. Great post!

4. In chapters 22-23, we see that some people are very thankful for Atticus’s efforts, while others are very angry and resentful at him. The Negro community came together to give Atticus a massive amount of food and goods, brought by Calpurnia. In previous cases of a black man being convicted of r ape, the lawyers of the defendants most likely did not care about the case, and did not put any effort into their argument. So, when Atticus put his full efforts and strength into trying to convince the jury that Robinson was innocent, the Negroes were probably surprised, and extremely thankful and happy. But, on the other side of things, Mr Ewell was very unhappy and angry at Atticus for his argument. Mr. Ewell’s last strand of credibility was taken away by Atticus during that trial, and therefore, Mr. Ewell now had a massive grudge against Atticus. He spat in Atticus’s face, cursed at him, and threatened to kill him. Atticus did not seem very affected by these remarks, but Jem certainly was. Since the start of the whole Tom Robinson case, Jem had been worried about his father’s safety. Now, after hearing about Atticus’s altercation with Mr. Ewell, Jem’s fears had certainly reached an all-time high.

5. In these two chapters, 22 and 23, I am mostly surprised that Atticus got so many gifts from the townspeople after the trial, even though he lost. The people, especially Tom Robinson’s dad, respect Atticus for what he did, and show it by giving him gifts. Scout even mentions that the amount of things in the kitchen can “bury the family”. Even though a lot of people in the town despised Atticus for putting his time and effort into defending Tom, a lot of people, on the other hand, respect him for his courage and dedication to the trial. He is a hero in these people’s eyes. What is interesting is that before the trial, Harper Lee made it seem like everyone hated Atticus, and that he was a disgrace, but then, after the trial, he was respected by everyone, and everyone was grateful to him.

• Good job, Jacky. I agree that it seemed like everyone disliked Atticus for defending Robinson, but now it looks like a lot of people respect him for it.

6. “That’s what I thought, too,” he said at last, “when I was your age. If there’s just
    one kind of folks, why can’t they get along with each other? If they’re all alike,
    why do they go out of their way to despise each other? Scout, I think I’m
    beginning to understand something. I think I’m beginning to understand why Boo
    Radley’s stayed shut up in the house all this time. . . it’s because he wants to stay
    inside.”

In the chapters we read today, the aftermath of the Tom Robinson case is shown. I think the most interesting part is at the end (once again). At this part, Jem is beginning to grow up. He starts to exhibit certain characteristics belonging to someone coming of age. He has a voracious appetite, is becoming taller, and even is growing chest hair. He also even says, “when I was your age”, when talking to Scout, as if he was a lot older than her. Moreover, he starts to understand and wonder more about life and other things than when he was younger. He questions why people akin to each other would hate each other. All of this leads to him comprehending more about Boo Radley’s situation. The last thing he says in the chapter is that he thinks Boo never leaves his house because he wants to. I wonder, how alike people despising each other is linked to Boo’s reasons for staying inside. I would guess that Jem is thinking something like Boo doesn’t want to leave his house because he does not want to fight with others that are similar to him. In that case, what does Boo have in common with other people? We have pretty much no information on him besides the untrustworthy rumors spread across Maycomb. All of this leads to more question of Boo Radley. We still do not know what role he actually plays in the book. I have a feeling he’s going to appear soon. As a result, I think discussing Boo Radley is worth a shot. He is still shrouded in mystery, but is brought up again by Jem. Overall, this passage brings up many new topics of discussion.

• Yours is a a little different from ours in terms of what you thought was interesting (so far), and you did a good job! Keep up the good work!

• I also agree that Boo Radley will appear later on in the novel and that we should discuss him in class, even though not much is known about him. Great job on your blog! 🙂

7. A really significant part of these chapters, 22-23 was how much Scout wanted to go to Calpurnia’s house again. In tonight’s reading, Scout was talking about how she thought that it would be interesting to go to Cal’s house and see how she lived and her community that she was surrounded by. It was a small part of the chapters tonight but I feel like it could come to be of more importance later on. Ever since they visited the church, Scout has wanted to be with Cal more and is that just because she likes Cal as a person or does she really want to see what it is like for their lifestyle and part of town. At this time in history obviously, blacks and whites were treated differently. Is Scout interested in their livelihood or just wants to spend more time with Cal? I wonder how much of an impact Scout’s desire to go to Cal’s home will have on the story, it may be immensely important or it may not be at all. If it is though, it will be interesting to see how it ties into the rest of the novel.

• Great Job Ryan! You had great points, and thinking in your blog. I agree that this will even mean something or absolutely nothing. I will now pay attention to that aspect, which was something that I somewhat ignored when reading this novel. Keep up the great work!

8. In chapters 22-23 of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, many significant events take place. First and foremost, Jem begins to cry due to the injustice of the verdict, showing a glimpse of the emotions in Maycomb. The next day, Maycomb’s African Americans deliver an awful lot of food to the Finch household. This shows the support from the black community towards the Finches, because of Atticus’ courage to stand up for Tom Robinson in court. Later on, according to Miss Stephanie Crawford, Mr. Ewell approached Atticus, spat on him, and swore revenge. I wonder what Bob will do to Atticus, if anything at all, and who or what exactly he will target. It turns out Atticus isn’t afraid at all towards Mr. Ewell’s threats, and actually has some faith in Tom being pardoned. Also, one of the jurymen wanted to acquit Tom Robinson, and it turns out that it was a Cunningham. As a result, Scout wishes to invite Walter over to her house, an idea which is quickly rejected by Aunt Alexandra. Aunt Alexandra proceed to call the Cunninghams “trash,” which made Scout furious. What makes the exactly Cunningham’s trash? Before the chapter comes to a conclusion, Boo Radley is brought back into the novel, when Jem and Scout decide Boo does not come out of his house because he does not want to leave it. I wonder what this means, and if it’s even true?

• Ajay, that is an excellent question. If the Cunninghams are so-called trash, what does Aunt Alexandra characterize the Finches as? Great Analysis!

9. In chapters 22-23 of the fantastic novel, To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, there were many striking passage but I think that the most striking one is when Atticus, a lawyer, showed no pity after the case was over. When Atticus did this, Scout, his daughter and the main character of the novel, felt as if he pretended that nothing happened. In my eyes, if you truly care for something, you shouldn’t give up once it doesn’t go your way. Atticus just tearing away and pretending that nothing happened isn’t very gentleman like. One may argue that Atticus was just trying to grieve with it and trying to see what he could do differently. If this is the case then why didn’t Atticus explain to Jem and Scout that when times are ruff you might need some time to grieve but that’s okay. Another theory is that Atticus is selfish in a sense that he truly didn’t let it affect him personally. I wonder what would happen if Atticus was in Tom’s shoes and he saw how he was being unjustly treated. All in all, in the scene in chapter 22 when he is quiet, we learned a lot about his character and we see his flaws.

• Your response is good and well thought out but, I don’t think Atticus was being selfish. I feel that he was impacted by it. However, he put on a strong face for his family and the community to show his strength. I don’t know if strength is the word for it though. However, good job overall!

• I agree Anjali. I don’t think there was any scenario here in which Atticus was being selfish. Atticus showed clear dedication to the case, and to Tom Robinson. Although he knew it was coming, losing that case probably devastated him. Also it is so out of his character that I just can’t see Lee presenting him as selfish. That being said, I think Noy did a great job on her blog and argued her point very well.

10. “You know she’s not used to girls,” said Jem, “leastways, not girls like you. She’s trying to make you a lady. Can’t you take up sewin‘ or somethin’?”

Scout is not the stereotypical girl, and even though I keep bringing this up constantly in my blog, this concept keeps on growing as Scout grows. Now that Jem is offically a “man”,
    (“Under my arms, too,” he said. “Goin‘ out for football next year. Scout, don’t let Aunty aggravate you.”) Scout will soon become a “women”. However, she is not the lady that Aunt Alexandra expects her to become. As she grows up, Scout will get more and more comments on how she should act like a lady, and I wonder if this is going to influence her character at all. Will she change to become the stereotypical lady? Or will she be strong and fight to be herself? Jem even thinks she should try sewing, and is starting to think that Scout should be a lady. With all these influences, there is a high possibility that Scout will start to adapt to the “lady-ish” ways, and start to behave like a stereotypical women.

• I really liked your blog! Maybe its a motif or a theme? Maybe just the idea of growing up? Well, that is the idea of a bildungsroman. I hope it comes up in class so we can put a name to the idea or just discuss it

11. Chapters 22-23 showed the aftermath of the trial. In this post, I want to focus on the section in chapter 22 that shows the morning after the trial. Everyone, including Atticus, got up in a better mood. “Calpurnia said, ‘Tom Robinson’s daddy sent you along this chicken this morning. I fixed it.’ ‘You tell him I’m proud to get it — bet they don’t have chicken for breakfast at the White House. What are these?’ ‘Rolls,’ said Calpurnia. ‘Estelle down at the hotel sent ‘em.’ Atticus looked up at her, puzzled, and she said, ‘You better step out here and see what’s in the kitchen, Mr. Finch.’ We followed him. The kitchen table was loaded with enough food to bury the family: hunks of salt pork, tomatoes, beans, even scuppernongs. Atticus grinned when he found ajar of pickled pigs’ knuckles.” This passage from chapter 22 really showed how the community was on Atticus’s side. After the disturbing ending to the case, it really brought down everyone’s spirits, especially Atticus. When Calpurnia shows how much food and love Maycomb was sending, it showed how this is a battle they are all in together. I noticed the theme of community through this chapter because everyone is coming together. It was so obvious that Atticus should have won, that he might be mad at himself for not succeeding. He used pathos to shake the jury and everyone saw how wrong their society is. Overall, these chapters made me feel like life goes on and this is still a lot of work to be done.

12. From reading chapters 22-23, I feel that it reveals how Scout is very unladylike but that compensates in other ways. In my eyes, she is an audacious, curious young woman struggling to find who she’s going to be as a woman. Will she continue her reckless and daring ways? Or will she follow in her Aunt Alexandra’s footsteps and be a lady? As Scout is curious, (Ryan mentions it in her blog for tonight), she is very interested in learning more of Calpurnia’s other world. I feel that ever since her trip at Calpurnia’s church and the Tom Robinson. Also, I feel that Scout is like her father in the sense that she doesn’t give up hope on the things that she loves that easily. That is a very valuable characteristic to have. I am wondering what will happen as we see the beginning of Scout growing up.

13. In chapters 22-23 or To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, I noticed Aunt Alexandra’s view of who the kids should be around and who they shouldn’t. She seemed pretty upset when they went to see the court case, but she was even more upset about the fact that Scout wanted to invite Walter Cunningham to dinner or to play. She thinks that Scout should only play with kids of her “status” or not at all. “‘I’ll tell you why,’ she said, ‘Because-he-is-trash, that’s why you can’t play with him. I’ll not have you around him, picking up his habits and learning Lord-knows-what.’”(301) Aunt Alexandra might start taking a more direct approach to turning Scout into a lady. She might see this as the last straw and start pressuring Scout much more than she already does. Personally, Scout doesn’t need this type of stress in her life with the fact that she is scared for Atticus. She has so much going on with the court case that teaching her how to be a lady will just add to her stress. Aunt Alexandra should either wait for things to cool down, or go back to Finch’s Landing and leave Scout and Jem alone. Why is she even with Scout if she isn’t teaching her the “ways of a lady” much? Will she leave soon?

14. At the end of tonight’s reading Jem tries to explain to Scout why some people are different than others. Scout just can’t wrap her mind around other people’s morals, but Jem tries anyway and explains everything to her. Jem also says how he thought the same thing when he was Scout’s age. We see a maturity in Jem. I think I will like Jem better now, but I want to see what other people think too. We could talk for hours about Jem in class, so I think it would make a good discussion.

15. Chapters 22-23 have very important scenes. However, one scene is of Jem when he finally realizes that most of the people of Maycomb County are not so great after all. No one stepped up to help Tom Robinson. However, Miss Maudie believes otherwise. She tells Jem that Judge Taylor could have picked an inexperienced lawyer who was unwilling to help Tom Robinson. However, he picked Atticus because he knew that the case was unfair and that Tom Robinson was innocent. Not only did Judge Taylor want to support Tom Robinson, colored people, and Heck Tate. “We’re the safest folks in the world,” said Miss Maudie. “We’re so rarely called on to be Christians, but when we are, we’ve got men like Atticus to go for us.” Jem grinned ruefully. “Wish the rest of the county thought that.” “You’d be surprised how many of us do.” “Who?” Jem’s voice rose. “Who in this town did one thing to help Tom Robinson, just who?” “His colored friends for one thing, and people like us. People like Judge Taylor. People like Mr. Heck Tate. Stop eating and start thinking, Jem. Did it ever strike you that Judge Taylor naming Atticus to defend that boy was no accident? That Judge Taylor might have had his reasons for naming him?” Even though Atticus did not win the case, he was able to convince a lot of people that color does not define one’s action.

16. These chapters were pretty shocking, but it was not very surprising. Like Atticus had said in the beginning, it doesn’t matter if Robinson was innocent or not, as long as there is a white man’s word against his, he will be executed. What had really showed me though was when Jem started crying. He suddenly started to act so high and mighty, but then he starts to crumble apart from this one case out of many. It was like this one case had tied up all the loose strings in his head, matching together the pieces like a jigsaw puzzle. If anything, I could say this was a life changing moment to the children, for all three of them. Hopefully, I want to hear on what my classmates think would be Jem and Dill’s viewpoint on the case.

• It also surprised me when Jem started crying. I would think by his age that he would develop the sad realization the world jut isn’t fair. This definitely was life charging for all of them and I also looking forward to tomorrows discussion.

17. Chapters 22 and 23 of To Kill A Mockingbird were mostly quiet, but insightful. The part I found most interesting was when Atticus was explaining to Scout and Jem that even though it shouldn’t change the verdict, race always ends up playing a part in court decisions.

“The one place where a man ought to get a square deal is in a courtroom, be he any color of the rainbow, but people have a way of carrying their resentments right into a jury box. As you grow older, you’ll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don’t you forget it — whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash.” (pg 295)

I feel like Atticus is very angry in this moment, because the court is his one way of actually making a difference in the community, no matter how small, and yet the jury always resorts to their prejudices rather than plain evidence when deciding a verdict. Say that you’re the very best at a sport due to hard work and lots of practice, but along comes someone who cheats and still wins somehow, even though they don’t have any real talent and weren’t actually trying. Your feeling would be similar to Atticus’, because he has worked hard his whole life to become a good lawyer and has spoken against racism and discrimination, but the jury disregards all of the evidence he provides and makes a decision based on the defendant’s skin color. He is also angry for Tom’s and the rest of the black communities’ sake, because the evidence against Mr. Ewell was so obvious that anyone in their right mind would agree that Tom was innocent. However, the men in the jury were not in their right mind, because their opinions and thoughts had been clouded over by the rest of society and the everyday social norms that had been pushed upon them throughout their entire lives. They go purely off of if the defendant is black or white, and if they’re black, they’re automatically considered guilty. Tom’s case was a bit more controversial than previous ones, thanks to Atticus’ skills as a lawyer and the foolproof evidence, but the jury still leaned towards Bob Ewell’s side because he is white.

“That was the one thing that made me think, well, this may be the shadow of a beginning. That jury took a few hours. An inevitable verdict, maybe, but usually it takes ‘em just a few minutes. This time — ” he broke off and looked at us. “You might like to know that there was one fellow who took considerable wearing down — in the beginning he was rarin’ for an outright acquittal.” (pg 297)

The fact that the verdict took a long time means that Atticus did just what he set out to: “rattle the jury.” He didn’t expect to win, but he did want to at least make the jury and the audience think about the injustice it was putting Tom and other black people through. The one person who took longer to come to a decision was one of the Cunninghams, which leads to a different discussion, but this makes me think that he was less “clouded over” than the other members of the jury. Perhaps this was Scout’s doing, from when she was kind to Mr. Cunningham at the jailhouse? Maybe she made him and his family come to their senses more. I look forward to further discussing this theory in class and seeing what other people think!

18. She took off her glasses and stared at me. “I’ll tell you why,” she said. “Because—
    he—is—trash, that’s why you can’t play with him. I’ll not have you around him,
    picking up his habits and learning Lord-knows-what. You’re enough of a problem
    to your father as it is.”

19. “No, everybody’s gotta learn, nobody’s born knowin‘. That Walter’s as smart as he can be, he just gets held back sometimes because he has to stay out and help his daddy. Nothin’s wrong with him. Naw, Jem, I think there’s just one kind of folks. Folks.” (Pg. 304) This excerpt from the text is extremely monumental. It portrays a pure perception of human nature. This is monumental to the story, as it applies to races as well. This is a portrayal of the prominent theme of Nature Vs. Nurture, is one’s identity simply one’s nature, or is it the way one is cared for that creates one’s identity. Scout seems to believe in the idea that the way that one is nurtured is the prominent factor in their personality.

20. Chapters 22-23 were like the aftermath of the court trial. These chapters helped Jem and Scout realise that there town might not be as bad as it seems. “Who?” Jem’s voice rose. “Who in this town did one thing to help Tom Robinson, just who?” “His colored friends for one thing, and people like us. People like Judge Taylor. People like Mr. Heck Tate. Stop eating and start thinking, Jem. Did it ever strike you that Judge Taylor naming Atticus to defend that boy was no accident? That Judge Taylor might have had his reasons for naming him?”
    This is a conversations between Miss Maudie and Jem. She is trying to point out that there is good in this community as well. Many people didn’t want Tom Robinson to get convicted and tried to do things to progress Malcolm’s stance on African Americans. For example Ms Maudie tells us that Judge taylor appointed Atticus in the intent that Atticus could sway the jury. Also not everyone in Malcolm is clearly one way or the other. Mr Cunningham originally wanted the arrest of Tom Robinson but by the time of the trial had changed his opinion and not was against the conviction of Tom Robinson. So even if it seems that it is hopeless for African Americans in reality more people support equal treatment then we may have previously thought.

21. Chapters 22-23 have a lot to do with realization. Our class discussion today about methods of persuasion and getting a point across have to do with this first subject, which is the realization that Maycomb is not a perfect always-do-good type of town. Maycomb didn’t have many problems, and we had no reason whatsoever to loathe the community or anyone in it. However, after this trial, it’s evident that this small little innocent town is not so innocent, and is in fact guilty of a crime in itself. This crime, of course, being Tom Robinson’s conviction. Another realization is the way social classes treat each other. It’s a cycle almost, with the rich being mean to the middle class, and the middle class being mean to lower class, and so forth with more layers in between. This is interesting because it is so clearly the case in our lives today. Instead of treating others how you would like to be treated, we treat other how we already are treated. So when someone brags to me about having nicer shoes, I’ll brag to someone else saying my shoes are better, and it’ll repeat. Just an interesting idea that so many people turn down the opportunity to do right because nobody ever does right to them.

• I like how you analyzed the social aspect of tonight’s chapters. I don’t really see it as a cycle, I see it more of a ladder. I do understand your explanation, but the black people of Macomb don’t go out of their way to make themselves feel better after being disrespected, they simply accept the comments and move on. I think that the cycle relates more to the white population. And I do agree that the town is poisoned by racism, and it has become their way of life.

22. For tonight’s reading, I admired Atticus’ disposition after Mr. Ewell had threatened him. This proves that Atticus does not agree with violence, and that he has a lot of empathy. He had told Jem to put himself in Mr. Ewell’s shoes. If Jem was in Mr. Ewell’s position, he probably would have also threatened Atticus as a way to release his anger. I also noticed a lot of development with Jem. In the beginning of the novel, Jem was a young boy, he was guileless, and loved to play. I noticed that Jem is excited by the cases his father takes on, and he is showing an interest in real politics. Before, he was so focused on making Boo Radley come out, when really, and now he wants to attend his father’s trials. He is learning a lot through Atticus as well. We see his new beliefs especially in chapter 23, when he had said that the whole case was unfair, and that Tom Robinson deserves better. Jim was Scout’s companion, then he was a moody older brother, but I think that he will eventually become a great role model for Scout.

23. The main event that took place in chapters 23-24 was Tom being shot trying to escape prison. He had conceivably at this point had enough of white people pushing him around unfairly for things he hadn’t done. He is abused to a point where he is “pushed over the edge”. But there are finer details that show up beforehand in chapter 23. There is one in particular on page 300: “I might as well have wanted to see the other side of the moon.”. This book was published by Harper Lee in 1960. What made me sort of jump as soon as the moon was mentioned is the fact that the Apollo program, which was meant to explore the moon, was initiated just a year after. In 1968, astronauts Jim Lovell, Frank Borman, and William Anders were the first humans to see the far side of the moon. But what does this all mean? This is a real life lesson that literally anything imaginable is possible as long as it obeys the laws of physics, which might even then be possible, seeing how the laws of physics are slowly changing as we are learning more and more about the universe around us.

24. During my reading of chapters twenty-two through chapters twenty-two, there are many things that struck me as being interesting. One thing that was very prominent is the change that took place. It wasn’t physical change, but a mental one. Jem and Scout’s moral universes changed. They changed because their opinions of Maycomb have changed. Atticus spoke to them and told them that certain people aren’t stereotypical, and you cannot categorize them as under one thing. Jem and Scout being young, and haven’t known many people for too long, this completely changed their opinion on certain people and on certain things that have happened in the town over the past few chapters. Overall, the moral universes of these two characters are dynamic, and constantly changing, and we have witnessed a big change in this aspect of their lives in these chapters.

25. Because I saw the first post last night, I event back to re-read cause I thought I had missed something important. If you haven’t read the first post, don’t read it. It is a major spoiler.

Anyways, one of the main focuses in these chapters was Mr. Ewell getting revenge. Mr. Ewell spat important Atticus’s face and yelled at him. Atticus took the beating, and didn’t do a ingredients to Mr. Ewell. When he got home he told them that Mr. Ewell kind always has to javelin a comeback to whatever is going on. He exam never feel like he has been the one that got bested.

What I find interesting, isn’t the fact that Mr. Ewell spit in atticus’s gace, but rather, that Atticus didn’t react to it, as far as we know. I know people who are like Mr. Ewell, always needing to get the last word. And that isn’t very intersting, I was expecting some kind of event to happen when Mr. Ewell is trying to redeem himself because of the humiliation Atticus caused him during the case. But Atticus didn’t react out of anger at that moment. And he breach at of anger later. I feel like this haracter is ed a lot in literature, and even more n movies and tv. But it is normally the “bad” guy who is able to always stay calm. It makes him look more cool, but at the same time it makes a large group of people resent him because they don’t Ike that he can stay so calm when someone is screaming in their face. I think it is an intersting twist to the common writing style. Instead of making the “enemy” of the main character the calm and evil guy. Lee made the father of the main character the calm guy. And he is certainly not and evil enemy, I would say he is more of a hero to this person.

26. In to kill a mockingbird chapter 22-23 the most fascinating part for me was of the differ in appreciation towards Atticus for taking this case. The black people still see Atticus as someone who they trust and respect and they do this by firstly standing up when he walked by and now leaving gifts at his house to show their appreciation. Even though he lost they don’t care. The black people are not doing this because he won they are doing this because they have respect for him. They have respect for him for trying to defend a black man with all of his strength. I think the black people see Atticus as a person they can finally trust that is white.As this appreciation was good towards Atticus not all people acted kindly towards him. Especially Mr. Ewell who threatened Atticus after the trial. The real question is which one does Atticus keep with him the most. It is probably the black people but maybe Atticus does worry about his wellbeing and doesn’t show it. All in all many people view Atticus differently after the trial.