“I’ll tell him you said hey, little lady.”

Tonight please read chapters 14 and 15 of To Kill a Mockingbird.   Then write your response.  Please consider the following questions:

• What passage or passages strike you as interesting or singular and why?
  • What questions do you want to discuss with the class tomorrow?
  • Why do you think these questions may generate interesting discussion?

Keep annotating!

Mockingbird blog #6

42 thoughts on ““I’ll tell him you said hey, little lady.”

1. In Chapters 14-15, Dill comes back into the lives of Scout and Jem. In my previous blog, I explained how Dill represents childhood and as Dill left Scout, childhood has left her and she moves on to become an adult. However, in these two chapters, we, the reading audience, see here that Dill, or her childhood has come back. On the other hand, Jem seems to leave Dill and Scout as he is on his own. We see that Jem is becoming an adult and more mature and responsible. Scout even tells him that he “rose and broke the remaining code of our childhood” by telling their father. This marks the point in which Jem is stepping into adulthood. However it is a question of when Scout will become an adult. Her life before was simple because she played games all day and had not a care in the world. But now, Atticus is dealing with the Tom Robinson case and there is a lot of stress. To add to that pressure, she also has the town calling her father insulting names. I am waiting to see what will happen with Scout and when she will mature as an adult.

• Good job on your blog. I also think it will be quite interesting to see what will become of our main character later on. Really fast post too.

• Great job! I like how you used Dill as the symbol of childhood, and how when he is with Scout, she and Jem both seem less mature and act more like children, but when Dill leaves, the kids become more mature. Keep up the good work! 🙂

2. Chapters 14-15 capture many new events, but the most interesting to me is at the end. At this point, Jem has some sort of “feeling”, which leads him to bring Scout and Dill with him to find Atticus. Upon discovering him at Maycomb’s jail, they find another, but different, group of men with him. These people, unlike the previous group, had come to take Tom Robinson. “ ‘He in there, Mr. Finch?’ a man said. ‘He is,’ we heard Atticus answer, ‘and he’s asleep. Don’t wake him up.’ In obedience to my father, there followed what I realized was a sickeningly comic aspect of an unfunny situation: the men talked in near-whispers. ‘You know what we want,’ another man said. ‘Get aside from the door, Mr. Finch.’ “ From this interaction, we can infer that the men had arrived at the jail in order to seize the hated man who had been accused. When Scout jumps in, along with Jem and Dill, she attempts to make conversation with the men. To this, they say little. After a long, awkward conversation, Walter Cunningham suddenly calls for them to leave. Why would they leave without their intended goal of Tom Robinson? I would guess it has something to do with Scout, but what did she actually do? Her conversation with Mr. Cunningham had apparently no effect. Perhaps they saw something in Scout, as he gestures for them to leave right after he responds, “I’ll tell him you said hey, little lady.” I think these questions will have a large impact on the later story, since Tom Robinson is such a heavily debated subject at the time.

3. In these chapters, the suspense of the upcoming trial, where Atticus is supposed to defend Tom Robinson, rises. Tom Robinson gets moved to the Maycomb County jail too. Also, in these chapters, it really shows Jem growing up and becoming more of a man. He is leaving the realm of childhood now, and is outgrowing things and ideas. Scout, however, finds these changes unlikable, and thinks that Jem is trying to act all tough and superior. Jem is becoming more mature, while Scout is still a little girl. When Dill comes back, he even goes as far to tell Atticus that Dill is there. If Jem hadn’t matured, he wouldn’t have told Atticus. I am looking for ways Scout and Jem start to depart from each other now, in the ways of ideas and maturity.

4. IN chapters 14-15 one part that stood out to me was when Jem,Dill, and Scout snuck out. They went to town to find Atticus. They found him at the jail. Just as they were leaving cars started pulling up to the jail. A group of men gathered in the jail and from the conversations intended to hurt or kill Tom Robinson. They might try to do this because of the chaos the case and when Tom Robinson’s gets brought to jail has brought the town. The day before a few different men went to Atticus’s house and told him that “they” meaning the African Americans would be upset and as they like animals when Tom Robinson gets brought to jail. Maybe they wanted to just kill Tom Robinson to avoid the chaos. Atticus went to the jail that night to protect Tom Robinson. Then Jem, Dill, and Scout interrupt the gathering. Atticus repeatably tell them to go home. After they refuse Scout makes small talk with Mr. Cunningham who she recognized in the crowd. It’s weird but this makes the men leave. This shows how Atticus is not racist, actually the exact opposite. He would risk being hurt or even killed to protect Tom Robinson.

• Good job! I love how you included a theory of yours, a brief summery, and an expansion to Atticus’ persona. You demonstrated a good understanding of the text. Keep up the great work!

5. Chapters 14 and 15 have us meeting Dill once again, but in an untraditional way. Apparently, Dill has run away from his home and doesn’t want to go back. Neglected and hurt, he wants to stay with the Finches. “…having been bound in chains and left to die in the basement (there were basements in Meridian) by his father, who disliked him…”(pg.186). Clearly, while Dill is exaggerating his story, he definitely is having some father-son issues. Along with his dad abusing him, his mother neglects him. “Nothin’, just sittin’, readin’,—but they don’t want me with ‘em,”(pg.190). Dill is receiving next to no care from his family, and he makes plans to stay in Maycomb for the summer. However, is it possible that he could move in permanently? Or will his family try to take him back before the summer ends?

• Nice analysis, Matt! While reading, I also noticed that part in which Dill refers to his parents, and I made a note of it in the text. However, I also have a question as to how valid Dill’s story is in regards to his parents. I also still wonder though what his relationship is with his parents, is it neglect, like you said? Or is it something else? I think this is a great question to be asked in class tomorrow,

6. After reading chapters 14-15 of To Kill A Mockingbird, a scene that was interesting to me was when Atticus is confronted on his front porch by Heck Tate and a group of men. This occurs about a week after Dill’s arrival in Maycomb. To Scout, the group seems ominous, and she states “In Maycomb, grown men stood outside in the front yard for only two reasons: death and politics. I wondered who had died. Jem and I went to the front door, but Atticus called, “Go back in the house.” (page 193). However, the group turns out to be friendly, as Jem asks Atticus “‘They were after you, weren’t they?’ Jem went to him.’They wanted to get you,didn’t they?’…he said gently, ‘No son, those were our friends.’” (page 196). This passage shows many things about the town of Maycomb. The group of sympathizers towards Atticus conveys that there is at least some resistance to the racism in Maycomb. It shows that although Atticus is fighting an impossible battle and one he is likely to lose, he still has support from a group of people who seem to know him well. However, this also reveals some aspects of Scout and Jem not previously discussed. This scene shows the reader that Scout and Jem are on edge about the impending court case. This is illustrated in the fact that after the group leaves, Jem ultimately assumes the worst and believes they were there to “get” him. It is also reflected through Jem when talking to Scout, as he says “Scout… I’m scared.” (page 197). In town, it seems that as the case is approaching, the stakes are raised and the drama in Maycomb is heightened. Going into the next few chapters, it will be interesting to see how the court case plays out and how the town of Maycomb reacts to it.

7. When I was younger, my mom would always mention to me that I shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover but instead I should get to know about the book and read the first few chapters to see if I truly like dislike it or if it’s just my imagination. Although this is just a metaphor, I truly think that this is portrayed beautifully in the novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, and it is done for multiple good reasons. This metaphor can relate to many things yet I think it mostly portrays to segregation. Segregation took place for thousands of years and is still not completely fixed today. The thing with segregation is that the people are being segregated by the color of their skin not who they are as an individual. In chapter 14, Scout the main character, finds her friend, Dill, under her bed. Besides the point that this is creepy, the first thing that Scout mentions when she and her brother, Jem, see something under the bed is, “suddenly a filthy brown package shot from under the bed. Jem raised the broom and missed Dill’s head by an inch when it appeared”. If this is how Scout reacts to her own friend, imagine what would happen if this was a stranger. As to why Lee added this is a matter of opinion. Unfortunately, not everyone knows why she added it so we can only infer why she added it. Some say she added it to show how the color of someone’s skin was the first thing that someone looked at in the 1900’s. Others may suggest that she included it to show how you should get to know something before you classify it. All in all, the scene in when Scout and Jew found Dill showed segregation and it enhanced the theme of what many say, don’t judge a book by it’s cover.

• I think your idea is valid, but I thought that the only reason she described Dill as brown was because he was dirty from staying under the bed. Later, Atticus tells Dill not to take Maycomb property, and put the dirt back where it belonged (he was joking of course), and then told Dill to go take a bath.

• I agree with Arjun on this point, because while it is a good analysis, I really think that it may be more of a coincidence rather than a deep metaphor. I do however think that segregation and racism is a very present theme in this book, just not in the case of Dill’s hand, which happened to be dirty. Good response, though!

8. In chapters 14 and 15, we got quite a bit of character development for Jem. Jem is starting to follow in Atticus’s footsteps and become an authority figure in Scouts life. He is actively seeking responsibility and starting to become less of Scouts friend, and more of a mentor. But Scout is resisting this change, she wants Jem to remain as her partner in crime and can’t seem to handle the fact he’s growing up and attempting to mature. The extreme way Scout handles Jem’s newfound changes demonstrates Scouts emotional immaturity. She shouldve listened to Atticus when he said to fight with your head and not your fists, and she would’ve never been be sent to bed or strained her relationship with Jem further. Jem is also starting to rebel against authority figures and wants to make his own decisions, like when he refused to go home from the jail. Also I think Scouts talk with Mr Cunnigham, and how he really didn’t seem at all interested in discussing his own, is worth discussion.

9. In chapters 14-15, we see the separation between the maturity of Scout and Jem. When Scout discovers that Jem is going to go out late at night, she also wants to go. Jem is visibly upset about this, but accepts her request because he does not want to upset Aunt Alexandra. “Jem saw that he would have to fight me to keep me home, and I suppose he thought that a fight would antagonize Aunty, so he gave in with little grace.”(Pg. 199). This is the first example of Jem being more mature, as he is respecting his elders and avoiding making them annoyed. Then, when Jem, Scout and Dill see Atticus, Scout immediately tries to run to him. But, Jem knows that this is not what Atticus would want, and stops Scout. “I made to run, but Jem caught me. ‘Don’t go to him.’ he said, ‘he might not like it.”(Pg. 201). Jem is again showing maturity, because he knows how to act in adult, or grown-up situations. In the end, Jem is unable to stop Scout from going to Atticus, as she escapes him the second time she attempts to run to him. Jem is growing more mature, but he still has his flaws. He wants to go home after seeing that Atticus is okay, but lets his curiosity get the better of him after seeing the group of men go up to Atticus. This leads to Scout running to Atticus, and the whole fiasco that happens after. But, Jem is still much more mature than Scout now, and is becoming more of a man.

10. In chapters 14-15 of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, suspense is added along with more characterization of Atticus. First and foremost, Dill is once again an active character in this novel. One day Scout sees him under her bed after running away from home due to a lack of attention in his household. It turns out that Dill had been deeply neglected and mistreated by his parents, forcing him to leave. I wonder how his life would be different if Atticus was his father, and how his future will turn out. Also, I noticed this can be connected to the theme of nature vs. nurture. A week after Dill’s arrival a group of men led by Heck Tate, come to Atticus’s house in the evening. Tom Robinson is to be moved to the Maycomb jail, and concerns about the possibility of a lynch mob have arisen. Later on, Jem tells Scout that Alexandra and Atticus have been arguing about the trial while calling him nearly accused him of bringing disgrace on the family. This also shows how courageous Atticus is for ignoring everyone, and doing what he believes is morally correct. Jem and Scout see Atticus sitting in front of the Maycomb jail, reading a newspaper, and decide not to bother him.
    Suddenly, four cars drive into Maycomb and park near the jail. A different group of men gets out, and one demands that Atticus move away from the jailhouse door. Atticus refuses, and Scout comes to a realization that Mr. Cunningham is among one of the men. Scout takes this opportunity to talk to him by asking him to deliver a message to his son, Walter. I wonder why Harper Lee decided to incorporate a cunningham into this scene after what we had learned earlier about Cunninghams. As the chapters came to a conclusion, I kept wondering about the future of Tom Robinson, and hope to learn more about him in the upcoming chapters.

11. In chapters 14-15, Scout saves Atticus, Jem, and Dill from the group of men. In a way, Scout did what her father wanted her to do; she got out of a fight without using her fists and showed true courage. Of course when one of the men grabbed Jem, she got defensive and kicked him, but after that, she used her head to get out of the situation. Scout didn’t continue fighting and punching the men as she usually would have. Scout was also showing courage in her own way. Scout was obviously afraid of the men, but she stood up for her family and friends anyway. She knew what was right and was brave enough to see it through. There was a slight foreshadowing of this previously in chapter 14. “…what I would do it Atticus did not feel the necessity of my presence, help and advice. Why, he couldn’t get along a day without me. Even Calpurnia couldn’t get along unless I was there. They need me.”(191) Now, Scout finally knows the meaning of true courage, and she knows that fighting isn’t the only way out of a bad situation.

12. Tonights reading was chapters fourteen and fifteen in To Kill A Mockingbird. The main things that happened involved Atticus and Tom Robinson, and Dill. My favorite passage from tonight’s reading occupied Dill and Aunt Alexandra. Aunt Alexandra was yelling at Dill from running away from home, but Dill was just happy that he was allowed to stay in Maycomb.

“He bore with fortitude her Wait Till I Get You Home, Your Folks Are Out of Their Minds Worryin‘, was quite calm during That’s All the Harris in You Coming Out, smiled at her Reckon You Can Stay One Night, and returned the hug at long last bestowed upon him.” (Pg. 189)

Many of the questions I had tonight during tonight’s reading were answered later in the reading. For example, I asked where Atticus was going in the middle of the night, and I was laer answered with the county jail. I wasn’t confused at all during these chapters, other than the cliffhanger Harper Lee left us at the end. WHO WERE THOSE MEN AND WHAT WERE THEY DOING?! I’m sure we’ll find out tomorrow night.

13. Chapters 14 and 15 of To Kill A Mockingbird sent me reeling with questions. The ones that are most prominent regard the scene where Atticus is at the prison and those men came up to him. “In ones and twos, men got out of the cars. Shadows became substance as light revealed solid shapes moving toward the jail door,” (p. 202). Primarily, who were those people? Yes, I know about Mr. Cunningham, but who were the others? And also, why were they so set on finding Tom Robinson? What did they intend to do with him? Why was Mr. Cunningham prepared to hurt Atticus? Wasn’t Mr. Cunningham Atticus’s friend? And what happened to Heck Tate? Is he okay, or was he hurt? Additionally, why was Atticus waiting for them? If he knew that they could potentially serve a threat to Tom Robinson, why would he want to meet with them? And if they didn’t plan on meeting, how did Atticus know that they would be there? I sincerely hope that these questions will be answered in the following chapters. I am anxious to find out what happens next.

14. In Chapter 15, we are starting to read more on the Tom Robinson case. Crowds are starting to attack Atticus’ case, especially the group of gentlemen by the cells of the jail. To Scout, all of the men, besides Mr. Walter Cunningham, were strangers. She tried to talk with Walter, but she couldn’t seem to think of an interesting topic. Then suddenly, she said,
    “Entailments are bad.”(pp. 205)
    It had seemed shocking seeing a little girl trying to give advice about entailment, but what seemed even more shocking was how all the men reacted. They seemed so fascinated by the fact, their mouths became half-open. Many people wouldn’t react in such an overdramatic way, so I’m guessing that the men were simply bewildered by her statement. Since Atticus seems to know the men and is a lawyer, it is very likely that the men have a lot of experience with entailments, which is surprising, since Cunninghams are said indeed to be extremely poor. I hope to learn more about these men, and the Cunninghams.

15. One part of chapter 14 that strikes me is when Aunt Alexandra and Atticus talk about Calpurnia. At first, Scout thought that they were talking about her, but they weren’t.
    “And don’t try to get around it. You’ve got to face it sooner or later and it might
    as well be tonight. We don’t need her now.”

Atticus ’s voice was even: “Alexandra, Calpurnia’s not leaving this house until she wants to. You may think otherwise, but I couldn’t have got along without her all these years. She’s a faithful member of this family and you’ll simply have to accept things the way they are. Besides, sister, I don’t want you working your head off for us — you’ve no reason to do that. We still need Cal as much as we
    ever did.”

This passage strongly supports Atticus’s loyalty to Calpurnia, and explains Calpurnia’s importance in the Finch Home. Even though Calpurnia works for Atticus, she is considered family. Atticus cares for Calpurnia and so does Scout and Jem. Because their mother died, Atticus needs Calpurnia to help him raise Scout and Jem. Aunt Alexandra tells Atticus that he must fire her, but Atticus says no. Calpurnia is considered family, and is great help to Atticus. Scout and Jem need a mother, and Calpurnia is like a mother-figure to them. Atticus can’t fire her, even when Aunt Alexandra encourages him to, because he can’t live life without her.

16. In chapters fourteen and fifteen in To Kill a Mockingbird, the last scene got really intense. Luckily, Jem, Scout, and Dill arrive at the scene or else things could have gotten ugly. Jem’s so-called feeling saved the day. Mr. Cunnigham and two other men go to the Maycomb Jail hoping to find Tom Robinson and probably kill him. However, Atticus probably knew this because he was not at his office when the men arrived. When the men had arrived, Atticus knew that he was in trouble. Scout could see it in his eyes. This is probably the first time Atticus was not the perfect, calm person that he normally was. When Scout first saw Atticus speaking to the men, she knew she needed to know exactly what was going on. When she discovered that the men were different from the people that Atticus considered his friends, she knew something was wrong. When Jem rushed to get her, one of the men grabbed Jem and refused to let go. Scout kicked him and he let Jem go. Scout talked Mr. Cunningham into leaving by talking about his entailment. This is strange because of the way Scout handles the situation. Again, instead of using her fists, she uses her words to convince him to leave. This is a sign of Scout maturing. She is using her fine folk definition and applying it to herself. She remembers Atticus saying about fighting friends. Who were the other men? Are they involved in the case? Has this happened before? Does anyone else know about this? Hopefully, these questions will be answered.

17. Atticus said nothing. I looked around and up at Mr. Cunningham, whose face was equally impassive. Then he did a peculiar thing. He squatted down and took me by both shoulders. “I’ll tell him you said hey, little lady,” he said. Then he straightened up and waved a big paw. “Let’s clear out,” he called. “Let’s get going, boys.” (Pg. 206) In chapter 15 of To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee demonstrates how the pure innocence of children can have an astoundingly positive effect on on those with malevolent intentions. In this scene Atticus is protecting Tom Robinson at the county jail and is surrounded by strangers meaning to hurt Tom. Scout, thinking that she would be doing good by showing up and calling out “H-ey to Atticus, but immediately realizes it was the wrong thing to do. In order to make up for her evident mistake, she attempts to make small talk with the only person in the crowd she knows, Mr. Cunningham. This demonstrates how guileless Scout still is. This leads me to believe even more that Atticus is a very good parent with very highly held morals. This leads me to a prominent theme within the novel, Nature Vs. Nurture. It seems that in this novel, Nurture has a direct effect in Nature, in that because Scout and Jem have Atticus as their father, they have more rectitude and are overall better people. I am still curious how living with Aunt Alexandra will affect Scout in the long term, and what will become of Boo Radley.

• I agree with you, Scout did do something small, but made a large impact. And that Atticus has nurtured them to be respectful people, which shows his own values. Also, good use of our vocabulary words!

18. “You’ve got everything to lose from this, Atticus, I mean everything.” (pp. 195)

In these last two chapters, we read a lot about Atticus’ case with Tom Robinson, and how the town is against it. In chapter 15, Atticus was sitting in front of Tom Robinson’s jail cell to protect him from the men that came to attack him. Jim, Scout, and Dill were there, and Jem refused to leave. One of the men even grabbed Jem and threatened him to make him leave. Then, Scout began a conversation with Mr. Cunningham, because she knew his son from school. Then to continue their “discussion,” Scout talks about his entailment, because Atticus taught her that she should talk about what people are interested in, rather than what she is interested in. She brings up entailment, and this strikes a cord with Mr. Cunningham, so he tells the men that they should go home. This part shows that even the smallest of voices can make the biggest differences, and I thought that it was interesting how Scout saved her family by using a skill that Atticus had taught her. That skill was one for courtesy, which can help Scout become more like a lady. I think that this part shows that Scout is beginning to change, and that she is learning how to be a lady. This proves that she does not need a “female role model” because Atticus can still rear her into a brilliant young women. It is important to know that although in class we discuss what it means to be a lady, and who is a good role model for Scout, but we are forgetting that Atticus can teach Scout good values and lessons, and be a good role model, without being a women.

19. In chapters 14 and 15, many exciting things happened. One thing that was small but could stand out of have some meaning to it, is how when Scout first told Atticus that she was allowed to go to Cal’s whenever and that they went to her church, he was very surprised. This could easily have been just because Atticus was taken aback by the fact that no one had told him they had gone and that it was a very big thing to go to a different race’s church. I mean, at this time it was unheard of and un thought of for anyone who was white to go to a black church or parish and vice versa. Atticus could have had the reaction for many reasons. He was utterly surprised and thought that it was just something that had never been done before, he could have wondered why Cal hadn’t told him, he may have thought that it was a good step in growth for the town and their maturity, or he could have just wanted to know before Aunt Alexandra did, knowing she wouldn’t like it. It was definitely a new thing for the town when Cal took the kids to her church, but one can’t help but wonder as to why Atticus was so surprised or why Cal hadn’t told him before Scout did. Would there be any reason that Cal would keep it away from Atticus, she did know what he believed in and supported so she shouldn’t be afraid, unless there really is a reason to be. From what I can see, this isn’t too important, but while reading it did stand out, so we will have to keep a watchful eye. It may unfold eventually that although this is a small point to make, it could be an important one.

20. Chapters 14 and 15 of To Kill A Mockingbird had some interesting and surprising events, like the scene when Scout, Jem, and Dill followed Atticus to the county jail, and watched as a car of strange men got out, asking about Tom Robinson. After a while, Scout revealed herself and started up a conversation with the only group member she recognized, Mr. Cunningham. She asked about Walter, his son, and made comments on his entailments, to the rest of the group’s surprise. What was strange about this scene, was that after Scout started running out of things to say, Mr. Cunningham seemed to soften for a moment and said, “‘I’ll tell him you said hey, little lady… Let’s clear out,’ he called. ‘Let’s get going, boys.’” I found this very surprising, because just a minute ago, the group was threatening Atticus and even said that they led the sheriff on a wild goose chase across town, so that Atticus wouldn’t have backup. I think the main reason that Mr. Cunningham changed his disposition so quickly, was because Scout started talking about his son. As she was talking about him, she remembered that Atticus had told her to talk to people about the things that matter to them, rather than yourself. I know that it seemed like Mr. Cunningham wasn’t even interested in his son, but why else would he tell Scout that he’d say ‘hi’ to Walter for her? It seems like he was trying to keep his facade up, but deep down, he probably reacted so gently because his son was mentioned and had someone who actually cared about him. Of course, there’s always a chance that his reaction was, in fact, caused by the mention of his entailments, rather than of his son. While this isn’t very heartwarming or kind, it’s still a very valid possibility. Perhaps he was surprised to think that a little girl was so caring that she felt the need to ask about how his payments were going. Or, maybe he was just embarrassed to be called out on his family’s poverty in front of the rest of the men, and by a little girl. This doesn’t explain why he would be so kind to Scout afterwards, but it’s still another possibility.

21. “’The Ku Klux’s gone,’ said Atticus. ‘It’ll never come back.’”
    There certainly are many things of significance to analyze further, but I’m sure most of the class has already done that, so I decided to focus on one of the more minor details in the chapter. It is established that this novel takes place somewhere in the 1930s, in the midst of the Great Depression, and just after the huge spike in KKK members. By the 30s, it was pretty clear that the KKK’s reign had essentially ended. This trend remained true in the 60s as well, which is when Harper Lee wrote the novel. Everyone considered the KKK to be over. But as we know, in modern 2017 America, there are millions of Klan members again. It seemed strange to see how even the author appeared to just shrug off the KKK, saying it was over, without seeming to give too much thought. It really underlines how today’s society is at one of its most racist points in history.

22. I’m sorry this didn’t get posted earlier, but my wifi wasn’t working.

Some thing very interesting happened in these chapters. A gang of people went to the Macomb prison in order to torment, or even kill Tom Robinson. Atticus somehow knew of this and went there that night to protect Tom. Well, Jem had a feeling that Atticus was in trouble so Jem, Scout, and Dill decided to go out looking for Atticus. They found him reading in front of the prison and decided it was okay. But then the mob showed up in their cars, and so they waited to see what was halpening. Well Scout ended up running to her father and so Scout and Dill followed. While in the middle f the mob with all the attention on them, Scout felt uncomfortable and started looking around them to find a familiar face. She found Mr. Cunningham’s and started to try and get his attention but he was trying to ignore her. When she realized this she started talking about his entailment. And then when that didn’t work very well she started talking about his son. She said how he was very nice and that she wants to say hello. Mr. Cunningham decided he had had enough and told all the others to leave that they have no business there. And then he told Scout that he would tell his son hey and left hinself.
    Scout didn’t know it at the time but she had just saved herself, Jem, Dill, Atticus, and Tom from getting hurt, or even killed. I believe that even though she didn’t process it right away she knew what she was doing. I believe that Scout is smart, smarter than she has been portrayed so far. And that her instinct told her to start taljing, because she was nervous and uncomfortable and was trying to make herself feel better. Even though she didn’t process what she had done at the time. Part of her somewhere must have known what was going on. Or possibly it was just a coincidence that she was trying to make herself feel better and ended up sending the mob away, but personally I like the first way of thinking about it.

• I loved this post Remy! You explained the events perfectly and it even cleared some things up that I was confused about. Nice work!

23. In Chapters 14-15, many events happened, but obviously the most interesting part was when Dill came back. He had run away from his Aunt and was found under scout’s bed. “Refreshed by food, Dill recited this narrative: having been bound in chains and left to die in the basement (there were basements in Meridian) by his new father, who disliked him, and secretly kept alive on raw field peas by a passing farmer who heard his cries for help (the good man poked a bushel pod by pod through the ventilator), Dill worked himself free by pulling the chains from the wall. Still in wrist manacles, he wandered two miles out of Meridian where he discovered a small animal show and was immediately engaged to wash the camel. He traveled with the show all over Mississippi until his infallible sense of direction told him he was in Abbott County, Alabama, just across the river from Maycomb. He walked the rest of the way.” I really hope that Dill ends up staying with the Finch’s because scout really missed him. If I remember correctly, Dill and Scout promised each other they would get married when they were old enough. Something we can discuss in class is how significant is Dill to the story? I have a strong feeling he will be very important to the lives of Scout and Jem. He was the only child they played with that one summer, and he has something special in him. I feel like just his name, Dill, says it all. Names could be a motif in this story, because everyone’s names reflect their character. Dill is an unusual name, which pertains to his unusual life and personality. Scout and Atticus are strong, powerful names, and so is Jem. Scout and Jem even refer to the creepy Arthur Radley as Boo Radley. Your name is usually the first thing a person learns about you, and they give off an impression of your personality. THis can be a motif we discuss in the future.

24. Atticus stepped back and looked up. “They’ve gone,” he said. “Get some sleep,
    Tom. They won’t bother you any more.” From a different direction, another voice cut crisply through the night: “You’re damn tootin‘ they won’t. Had you covered all the time, Atticus.”
    Mr. Underwood and a double-barreled shotgun were leaning out his window”
    This section in Chapters 14 through 15 is extremely intriguing. This happens after a group of men come into Atticus‘s room and prepared to fight. We all realized that Atticus’s case would be very important but never did I suspect someone could possible die over it. One of those people that could have assaulted Atticus was Walter Cunningham’s father. We never before witnessed any antagonism between Mr Cunningham and Atticus leading us to believe that he is there to extract information about Tom Robinson or convince Atticus to drop the case. In fact, The men likely came to kill Tom Robinson. Those men led by Mr Cunningham ask if anyone is with Atticus. Atticus responds with he is sleeping. That person is probably supposed to be Tom Robinson and those men would have killed him if Atticus didn’t intervene. This further shows us Atticus’s bravery. At the end of the conflict we realize that there was no real danger because Tom Robinson wasn’t asleep behind Atticus. He had a rifle and was hiding in a shadow. This conflict opens up many questions. What were Mr Cunningham’s motives? What is so important that someone could die? Finally, what are the small but important details in Atticus’s case? All of those questions, if answered, will give us deep insight into the novel at this point. Fortunately, I feel that we will get the answers to these questions and much more in next night’s reading.

25. Chapters fourteen and fifteen in To Kill A Mockingbird are very interesting. Scout found Dill under her bed, and Dill told Scout all about what happened, how he ran away from home and came here. Atticus left when they were getting to bed, but Jem wanted to investigate more, so they followed him out into the street and watched. When Scout saw the men she ran out and started talking with one of the men in the group, which made him. Change his mind about their plan. A passage that struck me as interesting is when Jem and Scout snuck out to find Atticus with a bunch of men outside of the jailhouse. Scout saved the day by talking to one of the men to stop with their plan. My question is, what did they want to do? What was their goal? Why did they wanna do it? To be honest, I was a little confused about what happened back there.

26. In chapter 14 and 15 of to kill a mockingbird the most intriguing part of this chapter was when Scout and Jem followed atticus to the county and Jail and Jem managed to drive away the crowd that was threatening Atticus. It happened when Atticus found out that Tom Robinson had been moved to the county jail. Atticus went there to protect him. When Jem and Scout went to go check on Atticus they found that the crowd seemed angry and among that crowd we see that Mr. Cunningham is leading the group. After seeing this Scout interferes and talks to Mr. Cunningham about his entailment and his son Surprising Mr. Cunningham listens to her and leads the crowd back to their homes.“I’ll tell him you said hey, little lady,” he said. Then he straightened up and waved a big paw. “Let’s clear out,” he called. “Let’s get going, boys.” (Pg. 206) Through this event we can see a slight character change in Jem and see that she uses her words to win a so called fight instead of her fists. Maybe she is turning out like her Father Atticus. All in all this scene was very interesting.