“I saw no shadow of another parting from her.”

Please finish reading Great Expectations and be sure to read both endings.

Dickens was persuaded by his friend and fellow novelist, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, to rewrite the ending to Great Expectations. Why do you suppose his friend objected to the original ending?  How do the endings differ?  Which ending do you prefer?  Why?

Make sure you include many specific details to support your opinions and to respond to at least one other comment in this thread.

GE blog #20

42 thoughts on ““I saw no shadow of another parting from her.”

1. There are two endings in Great Expectations. Dicken’s friend, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, recommended that he write a second ending to the novel, and he probably had good reasons why. Both endings were pretty good. In the first ending, he goes home with Joe, and talks things out with him. Joe still thinks they are very good friends, even though Pip had been so rude and ignorant to him. He finds out that Satis House is being sold, and that Mrs. Havisham had not recovered. Pip finds Mr. Pumblechook talking to the landlord, who keeps calling him a young man, and orders him to talk a certain way to Joe. Pumblechook somehow still has an idea that Pip is ungrateful to the people who “brought him up by hand”. “ This is him who I have seen brought up by hand…let him deny if he can!”( pp. 475). Mr. Pumblechook has not changed, not one bit. Does he think that he has not hammered that phrase into Pip’s head? Anyways, he resolves to apologize to Biddy for being a complete jerk, who is the mistress at the school. When he arrives, he finds out that neither Biddy nor Joe are there. He comes across the house, where he sees Biddy and Joe hand – in – hand. He is confused, but then Biddy tells him that she is getting married – to Joe! “ It’s my wedding day…and I am married to Joe!”( pp. 478). This is very surprising, considering that Biddy seems a whole lot younger than Joe. Then, there is the second ending. Edward Bulwer-Lytton recommended that Charles Dickens rewrite the ending because as you can see in the first ending, nowhere does it mention how Estella came to an end. This is pretty crazy, considering that Estella is such a huge part of the novel, including its themes, plot developments, and other literary features. In the second ending, we jump right to when Pip re-meets Joe and Biddy after 11 years. They have a kid, who is sitting by the hearth, reminding Pip of childhood
    times. The kid is named Pip, in remembrance of Pip. Joe even says that he thinks the kid will grow up to be like Pip. “…he might grow a bit like you, and we think he do”( pp. 481). Pip, in fact, is delighted. He even takes the kid ( Little Pip, let’s say), on a walk, getting to know him, and letting the little Pip to know Pip. After, he goes to Satis House, where it is all taken down, except the garden. The whole place is covered with a veil of mist (imagery!). He finds Estella there, who has greatly changed. She tells Pip that she had longed to come back, but was prevented by certain circumstances. She then tells Pip that the ground is hers. “ The ground belongs to me. It is the only possession I have not relinquished. Everything else has gone from me, little by little, but I have kept this”( pp. 483). In a sense, Estella has lost everything, except the land Miss Havisham used to have. Estella then declares them two friends. I like the first ending better because it wraps everything in a neat little package, with Biddy and Joe in a happy relationship, and Pip being a bachelor.

2. I think I speak for all of us when I say that the end to Great Expectations was astonishing. After reading the original ending, I can see why some people disliked Dickens leaving off the story like that. Many people favor a more cheerful or a “happily ever after” ending. Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Dickens’ friend, had objected to his original ending, with the reasoning that it was too disheartening. “He then went to stay with a friend and fellow-novelist, Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton, who was shown the proofs and argued that the ending was too disappointing to the reader.” The new ending that we read first was brighter because there was a chance that Pip could be married to Estella afterward, which I think was a nice choice. “On 24 June Dickens sent a new ending to Bulwer, which leaves open the possibility of marriage between Pip and Estella, and which concluded all versions of the novel published in Dickens’s lifetime.” Frankly, I prefer the happier ending as well. I also like it better that Pip would be able to marry Estella, after everything that happened between them. It would be pretty disappointing if Estella just perfectly showed up when Pip was visiting Satis House, and saying that she was a better person, and they just never saw each other again.

• Great work! Your point of view of the matter at hand is quite intriguing! I hope to hear even more from you!
      Also, if you think your response is short, you should see mine! Like what Ms. Quinson said, it’s okay if it is short, as long as you didn’t leave out anything important.

3. For the ending for the book’s ending on pages 482-484, there are two different endings to the story: the official ending, the one where Pip seeks Estella, and the original ending, the one where Estella seeks Pip. I suppose Dicken’s friend wanted him to change the ending because it didn’t really follow the storyline. Pip learns to become a gentleman, go through grief and joy, devotes himself to look more impressive and attractive, all to impress his love, Estella. If Pip was left to be lonely and without Estella in his life, the storyline wouldn’t make any sense. Even the paragraphs before the mentioning of Estella were about Pip and marriage. I believe that the official ending was better because at least after all his effort, he finally has the old love of his life in his world.

4. With the conclusion of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, there are two endings in the novel. In my opinion, both endings were good, however, they were relatively different in terms up summing up the entire book. In the modified ending, Pip returns to England and has learned to work hard and is content with the modest living he makes with the job with Herbert. He goes to visit Joe and Biddy and tries to convince Biddy that he has a bachelor. He reiterated his relationship with Joe. Next, Pip then goes to Satis House and finds that it is up for auction. In the mist, Pip walks through the garden and thinks of Estella. Pip has heard that she was unhappy with Drummle but that Drummle has recently died. Pip finds Estella wandering through the old garden. Estella confesses that she would consider them “friends.” This somewhat leaves a cliffhanger for the relationship between Pip and Estella that we may never fully know or understand. Maybe Pip and Estella could have gotten married? This ending was fairly well-written and was a good conclusion to this incredible coming-of-age novel. The original ending was decent but lacked information about Estella. This has the reader thinking,”WHAT HAPPENED TO ESTELLA?” This ending was very vague and brief. I felt as if it should have been elaborated on more, and have a bigger emphasis on Estella.
    To conclude, I think that the modified ending of Great Expectation is better the original version.

5. I think Dickens friend objected to the original ending because it’s boring. Estella gets remarried after Drummle dies and goes to visit Pip in London. She thinks little Pip is Pips child and they part their separate ways. The end. I would have been thoroughly upset if that was the ending. This ending is boring and doesn’t really leave the reader saying “ Wow that was great book.” Now the other ending is where it’s at. Dickens packs this one with everything we wanted to happen essentially. Estella doesn’t remarry after Drummle dies. When Pip is visiting Boody and Joe in London he goes to the Satis House, or what used to be the Satis House. All that is left is a wall. Pip sees Estella walking toward him. They sit on a bench and talk about they have been thinking of each other. Then Estella says how she wants to leave it all behind, meaning the Satis House. Pip and Estella make a dramatic exit through the gates. The end. I like that ending so much better. It’s a lot more Hollywood. A perfect ending. This ending was definitely a lot better to read. But was it better for the book? The whole book has bad luck and Estella marrying Drummle and Miss Havisham really just using Pip. So an ending with Estella not marrying Pip seems a bit more fitting. I’m glad we got to experience both.

• Although I disagree with which one is better, you wrote your blog beautifully. I love how in the beginning you wrote what you honestly thought. Keep up the great work!

6. The wonderful coming of age novel, Expectations, by Dickens, has two different endings. One ending is one that Dickens wrote and the other, is his friend’s, Edward Bulwer-Lytton. In Bulwer-Lytton’s ending, Pip and Estella meet up again and become friends. Although, in Dickens ending, things don’t go as Estella planned. Personally, I prefer Dicken’s ending. Although many favor Bulwer-Lytton’s ending, saying that it is just happily ever after, I believe that the story would be better with the original ending of Dickens writing. In the original ending, Estella’s husband, Drumble died and so she remarried and changed. One day when Pip is with little Pip in London they go on a pony carriage and are shocked to see that the driver is Estella. Estella then asked to kiss little Pip as if she thought that he was the son of Pip. Pip then sees that Estella has been suffering through her eyes and that she is probably going to change more in the future do to her not being happy. This ending lead the reader to choose what will happen next regarding Estella’s happiness and how what comes around goes around in which just continued the theme. As for the other ending, Estella and Pip become friends and life is all happy. In my opinion, the original ending is better because it conveys the theme and it shows how life isn’t always what you want it to be. When ending the book this way, it always the reader to relate to the story on how life isn’t always happy.

7. The coming-of-age novel, Great Expectations, has two endings. Dickens’ friend, Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton, told him that the original ending was too disappointing. This was because in the original ending, Pip and Estella had that one meeting in the carriage, and after that would probably never see each other again. Also, the original makes it feels like Pip was leading a miserable life. The ending didn’t tie up the story. It left the readers thinking, “And what happens after that?” In the modified version, Pip and Estella part as friends. The story makes it sound as if they will meet again. Also, we see that Pip is happy and content living with Herbert and working. “‘I work pretty hard for a sufficient living, and therefore – Yes, I do well.’” The modified version gives us a feeling that Pip and Estella are friends and might become more. “‘We are friends…And will continue friends apart’”(484) It ties up the story with pretty bow. It gave readers the sense of finish, and the feeling that there was no more to tell.

• I agree, the original ending sounds depressing. The second ties the novel up and it is more of a “happily ever after” ending.

8. What a great book! In my opinion I think that Dickens friend was absolutely right to encourage an alternate ending . The original ending seemed sad and a let down for such a great story. In the initial version, we see Pip and Estella meeting and talking briefly before parting to go back to their separate lives. Estella is under the assumption that Pip is married with a child of his own. He says “She supposed the child, I think, to be my child.” (page 509). Thus implying that there is no hope at all for a future between the two. This ending did not sit right with me as I was always rooting for Pip, even with all his failed expectations, that he would someday find happiness and manage to be with his beloved Estella. Therefore the revised finale gave me great satisfaction as Pip and Estella meet once again in Miss Havisham’s garden, which was the sight of their initial encounter. Although they have certainly had their ups and downs (mostly downs) it is here we see the notion of “No shadow of another parting” (page 484) between the two. This makes me believe that there is a possibility for the two reuniting and obtaining happiness which they both deserve. No matter which ending you prefer, one cannot deny what a masterpiece of literature this novel is!

• Great job! I like how you put in that they deserve happiness. Both Pip and Estella have been through a lot, and definitely deserve to be happy. Keep up the good work! 🙂

9. The original ending to Great Expectations was frowned upon and wasn’t popular among most readers, and therefore, a second ending was written. There are differences between the two endings, but the main issues with the original was that there was not much information about what had come about with Estella, and there wasn’t a very happy ending, which most people would’ve liked to see. It focused more on the lives of Joe and Biddy, which is great, but to almost leave Estella out of the picture is just not correct. Pip goes to visit Joe and Biddy at their old household, and is greeted with a surprise. Pip sees Joe and Biddy arm-in-arm, and is confused at first. But, he slowly figures out what had happened, when Biddy exclaims “It’s my wedding day,’ cried Biddy, in a burst of happiness, ‘and I am married to Joe!”(Pg. 478). This was probably very popular among the readers, but there was not a happy ending in the case of Pip and Estella’s relationship. The pair meet one day in London, and they have a brief conversation, with Estella also kissing little Pip. “Lift up that pretty child and let me kiss it!…that suffering had been stronger than Miss Havisham’s teaching, and had given her a heart to understand what my heart used to be.”(Pg. 509). Not much information on Estella and Pip’s current relationship is given, which did not sit well with most readers. But, in the second ending, a much longer conversation is held between the two, and there is a happier ending as well. “We are friends,’ said I, rising and bending over her, as she rose from the bench’. ‘And will continue friends apart,’ said Estella.”(Pg. 484). A much happier ending is portrayed here, with Pip and Estella once again parting from each other, but this time as friends.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

10. Great Expectations had two endings. Charles Dickens wrote the ending to it in the daily newspaper, and was convinced by his good friend Edward Bulwer-Lytton to re-write it. In the original ending, as I can gather, Pip comes back to London after working in a respectable business for eleven years. He comes back to find Estella in the garden that once surrounded the Satis House, which was now torn down. Estella then tells him that she should like to only be friends, and ends with an uncertainty alluring towards the idea that Pip will never see Estella again, knowing that he will go back to the store with Herbert. The ending could have been disliked by Edward because of its uncertainty. It ends rather vaguely and hopelessly, even though a good portion of the novel is about Pip yearning for Estella. The second ending shows Pip taking a walk with Joe’s little boy, when he is stopped by Estella. She picks up little Pip to kiss him, thinking that he was Pip’s little boy. This shows really good intentions between them and gives more hope for a future between Pip and Estella. I like the first ending more, because it shows how Pip has truly let go of his desires for a better life, and through his tremendous journey through life truly become a gentleman and be content with what he has.

• Emils, I agree that the first ending meant that Pip had finally become content with his life, and that the second ending was just vague. The way you explained your opinion was great.

11. Over this weekend, we finished the novel Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. In his book, there are two endings and we read both. Both of the endings he wrote, are wonderful and give a good stop to the story. In the Original ending, I felt that it was harder to understand what Dickens was saying, whereas in the second ending, Dickens made it longer and did a better job of explaining what happened. I think that the second ending was the better one of the two because it gave both Estella and Pip closure and it was an ending for them where they could be content with their lives. In the second ending Pip goes back to where Miss Havisham’s house used to be and spent some time in the garden thinking of old times. It was here, where he saw Estella again. They talked to each other and caught up about what was going on in their lives in the past years. Estella was no longer with Drummle, for they were separated, and Pip was off working abroad and harder than he ever had ever worked before. Estella tells Pip that she is “greatly changed” (pg 483) and that she’d be surprised if he even knew her. They talked about regrets and how the house had ended up the way it did and they talked about what they missed. Estella turns to Pip and asks him for forgiveness. During their time apart, she has become more aware of her heart and how she has badly treated people and she wants to leave him with the piece of mind that they are friends and can both be happy. At the end Pip says, “… I saw the shadow of no parting from her.” (pg 484) This could give us clues that although they are saying goodbye for now as friends, they might have a future and their story might not be done. The main reason the second ending is better is because it gives the reader the ability to believe more of what the want to about the story. With the second ending, we can choose to believe what we want for Estella and Pip. This is why I like it better than the original ending.

• I totally agree that the second ending is better than the original. The original ending just too depressing for my taste. Pip and Estella just part. The second ending leads to the growth of Estella and Pip’s friendship. I agree that the second ending brings closure to the novel.

12. There are two endings in Great Expectations. In the ending that Dickens’s friend, Edward Bulwer-Lytton wrote, Pip meets Estella at the Satis House.Mr. Drummle, Estella’s husband that had abused her had passed away. , but we don’t know for sure. Pip and Estella talk, and remain friends at the end, walking through the mists together. In the original ending, Estella has gotten remarried to a doctor, and living off her riches. Pip meets Estella in a carriage, and Estella kisses little Pip, Joe and Biddy’s son, assuming its Pip’s. Pip sees sorrow in Estella’s eyes as they part. The revised ending is better in my opinion. If the book just ended with Estella and Pip’s parting, like the original, Pip’s love for Estella throughout the entire novel wouldn’t come together at the end. “And of her being married again to a Shropshire doctor,” (page 508). Estella is remarried in the original ending, however, in the revised one, she is not remarried. Pip and Estella can maybe end up with each other! The original ending would have disappointed me if it was the ending that mostly got published. The relationship between Pip and Estella just disappears, and all that Pip had worked for is gone.

• Ellie, I like the way you provided evidence and explained your opinion, and frankly I agree with you. The novel wouldn’t all come together if dickens had left the original. But anyway, Great job!

13. The last chapter of Great Expectations has two different endings: one that Dickens had originally written, and another which Dickens wrote after being persuaded by a fellow novelist, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, that the original one was much too disappointing to the reader. Dickens’s original ending was quite unsatisfactory. Two years after Pip visits Biddy and Joe (no the one where they get married, but the one after that), he is walking with Pip Jr. and comes across Estella. Earlier, Pip had caught wind that Mr. Drummle, who beat Estella during their marriage, had died while abusing a horse, and that Estella had gotten remarried to a doctor who wasn’t quite rich, and that they were living off her fortune. They greet each other, and Estella asks if she can kiss Pip Jr., who she assumed was Pip’s child, and Pip says that “ … in her face, and in her voice, and in her touch, she gave me the assurance, that suffering had been stronger than Miss Havisham’s teaching, and had given her a heart to understand what my heart used to be,” (509). That’s it. The end. The second ending was much more enjoyable. After Pip had his conversation with Biddy, he decided to go to Satis House, just for Estella’s sake. He had also heard that Drummle would beat Estella, and that she really wasn’t happy in her marriage. He’s also heard, however, that Drummle died several years back in an accident during which he was abusing a horse. Pip assumes that she’s remarried, but he doesn’t know for sure. He goes to Satis House and finds that all that’s left of it is a battered and dilapidated garden wall, and the rest had been torn down. There’s a silvery mist, and it’s very hard to see, but Pip sees the figure of a woman. That woman turns out to be (drum roll please) none other than Estella. They call out to each other, and sit on a bench and get to talking. They both talk about how they haven’t been to the House since Miss Havisham’s death. It turns out that Estella is going to build a house over the property she inherited. Estella tells Pip that she thinks of him often, Pip tells Estella that he’s never forgotten her. She tells him that she never thought she’d say goodbye to Pip when she is saying goodbye to Satis House. Pip is crestfallen when she says this, because he doesn’t want to have to say goodbye to her again. Estella says that her suffering has taught her what Pip’s heart used to be. She tells him life has broken her, but that she hopes she’s a better person as a result. She wants to know if they will always be friends, even when they are apart, and Pip says yes. Then, “I took her hand in mine, and we went out of the ruined place; and, as the morning mists had risen long ago when I first left the forge, so, the evening mists were rising now, and in all the broad expanse of tranquil light they showed to me, I saw the shadow of no parting from her,” (484). The end. Personally, I prefer the second ending. I find it much more satisfactory, with the idea of the possibility of marriage between Pip and Estella. Plus, it seems like the book has come full circle, the way it ends with the evening mists. However, I can see why Dickens wrote the first ending in that way. Dickens liked to make his political and philosophical beliefs apparent throughout the book. With his ending, the reader sees that life isn’t all ideal, and things don’t always work out the way you expect. He is saying that you should be content with what you have. In conclusion, although I prefer the second ending to the original, I can see merit to both possibilities.

• Arjun, great response! I agree that the second ending is more satisfactory and that the original ending was most likely making more of a political statement. Great use of quotes too!

14. After reading both endings of “Great Expectations,” I’ve decided that I like the ending that Edward Bulwer-Lytton preferred. Dickens’ original ending still had the same story for Estella and her marriage, but it simply ended with Estella’s coach stopping next to Pip, and she wanted to see the child Pip. “…that suffering had been stronger than Miss Havisham’s teaching, and had given her a heart to understand what my heart used to be.” (Page 509) In this version, Estella has changed and is nicer, then the book just ends. This ending doesn’t seem like a conclusion, however, the official ending really ties the story all together. “I took her hand in mine, and we went out of the ruined place; and, as the morning mists had risen long ago when I first left the forge, so, the evening mists were rising now…” (Page 484) The mists represent the way Pip found his way home, and found his way to find things were familiar to him, and his relationship with Estella will no longer eat away at him.

15. There are two endings for the story Great Expectations. They are the original ending, and the published ending. When Dickens showed the original ending to a fellow novelist, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, he was persuaded to rewrite a new ending. The first ending ruins the book for most readers. Throughout the story, Pip tries to win Estella’s affection. In most stories, after many failures, the main character is able to win his/ her lover’s affection. However, Pip never gets to marry Estella or have a close relationship with her. She just assumes that Biddy’s and Joe’s child is Pip’s child. He says “She supposed the child, I think, to be my child.” (pp. 509). However, some readers may have found it interesting that Pip had given her heart meaning that she finally learns to love. Before, she says that she has never seen the light, but now Pip’s heart has shown her the light. This ruins any hope that he ever had with being with Estella. However, in the published ending, Pip and Estella are friends; and Pip has a chance to have a closer relationship with Estella. “We are friends,’ said I, rising and bending over her, as she rose from the bench’. ‘And will continue friends apart,’ said Estella.”(pp. 484). The published ending sounds happier than the first one. Both endings had their pros and cons, but the published ending is better. It leaves a cliffhanger for the reader, and it lightens up the mood.

• I like what you said and agree that the first one seems lighter and more pleasant. I think that it is nice that Estella now considers Pip a friend but I think they have sort of been friends ever since Pip became a gentleman.

16. After finishing Great Expectations there are two endings, one suggested to Dickens by another author and the original ending by Dickens. The original ending discussed Estella more saying Drummle died and was a horrible father, Estella then remarried to a doctor and they lived off her fortune. “I heard of the death of her husband(from an accident consequent on ill-treating a horse), and of her being married again to a Shropshire doctor… the Shropshire doctor was not rich, and that they lived on her own personal fortune(Page 508).” Pip meets Estella while walking with Joe and Biddy’s child, she ask to hold the child and through that Pip realizes the suffering she went through with Drummle being her husband undid Miss Havisham’s teaching and Estell now has somewhat of a heart. This ending makes sure Pip can’t marry Estella because she is already married and she thinks Pip is married with a child, and so is disappointing. The other ending given to Dickens is longer and goes deeper into multiple sections of Pip’s life. In this ending Pip isn’t as over Estella as he previously was, while telling Biddy he is over Estella he plans on visiting the late Miss Havisham’s house. “Tell me as an old friend. Have you quite forgotten her? My dear Biddy … that poor dream, as I once used to call it, has all gone by, Biddy, all gone by! Nevertheless, I knew, while I said those words, that I secretly intended to revisit the site of the old house that evening, alone, for her sake. Yes, even so. For Estella’s sake.” Pip is still addicted to Estella. Upon going to the house he meets Estella again who lost the freshness of her beauty. They part from that house as friends which allows for a possible relationship between them. However this also puts the finishing touches on Estella and Pip. Dickens likely included the revised ending over the original because it settles Estella and Pip while not completely ending their romance. This ending was also longer so he might have done this because he would have got payed more. I prefer the original ending because it punishes Estella and also gives her a heart at last also ending the story shortly and concisely.

17. This weekend we finished Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. There are two endings to this novel, the original and the revised. When Charles Dickens published the ending to his story, his fellow author Edward Bulwer-Lytton persuaded him to rewrite the conclusion. In the original ending Estella and Pip meet, talk briefly, and move on with their lives. Estella believed that Pip was married with children, and kisses Joe and Biddy’s son as if it was Pip’s. “She supposed the child, I think, to be my child.” (page 509). This left no future between Pip and Estella. In my opinion this ending was such a let down for the novel leading to it, and feels rushed to be written. The new ending on the other hand, is much more thorough and made the storyline more believable in the sense that Estella and Pip could still have a future. In the new ending Pip and Estella meet again in the garden at Miss Havisham’s old house. Estella is not married anymore, has realized her wrongdoings of the past and asks Pip for forgiveness. This leaves room for a future between the two, which is much more believable than nothing since they had such a great impact on each other. In my opinion the revised ending is better than the original by far. If Dickens had ended the novel with no future contact between Pip and Estella I would have been very upset.

18. When Dickens published Great Expectations, his friend objected and Dickens rewrote a much happier ending to Pip’s story. In my personal opinion, I found the revised ending to be much better than the original. It was much a much happier ending and the original kind of lacked anything interesting, in my opinion. I thought the original was sort of bland. In the original it was quite unsatisfying. It left the reader with no hope and no real resolution for Pip and Estella. Estella is remarried and she thinks little Pip is Pip’s son. It’s sad because the end gives no hope that Pip ever gets to have a relationship with Estella, and it kind of feels like all of Pip’s years pining over Estella mad the countless pages describing Pip’s love for Estella were kind of a waste. But in this new ending, it gave some kind of hope and resolution to Pip and Estella’s story. Estella apologizes for he cold behavior and they agree to be friends. This ending doesn’t have Estella married leaving Pip the ability to have a relationship with her. Also the story ends with them being in a relationship even if for now it’s platonic but it could lead to more in the future. Also it ties up the story with the Satis house, Estella and Pip in a nice little bow and it all comes full circle in a way.

19. As we conclude our reading of great expectations, I find it necessary to point out interesting differences in the original ending and the rewritten ending. So from general to specific, the original ending is a lot more open. We learn that Drummle has died(Woohoo!) and that Estella has remarried to a doctor. The ending of Pip just leaving Estella at the carriage and nothing more, however, just seems like a huge cliffhanger. It has me wondering “What? What else? Is Great Expectations 2 coming out soon?” The ending is so incomplete that it makes me believe that Dickens might have actually planned to make another book. However, compared to the newer ending, I find the new ending to be so much better and complete. Instead, we are at the Satis House instead of in London. Here, we meet Estella and she has not yet remarried after Drummle’s death(Good thing in both versions he’s dead). Estella apologizes for her actions towards Pip as she did in the original ending, but the setting and current situation just makes it seem that much more sincere. Pip decides to stay by Estella’s side and that’s how it ends. One thing I want to touch upon is that both endings seem incomplete, even though one more than the other. I feel almost like there’s a piece missing and it has me wondering what happens to Pip and Estella in the new ending? Do they stay together and get married or just stay friends. Or the original ending; do Pip and Estella ever see each other again or do they never speak again? I just want to know the relationship between them both and I feel sad that the book is ending.

20. I am glad that Charles Dickens’ friend and fellow novelist, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, convinced him to rewrite the ending of Great Expectations. In the original ending, there is no real closure with Pip and Estella’s relationship, and it doesn’t show if there even is a relationship between them. I like the rewritten conclusion more, for this reason, though I was a bit disappointed to see Pip and Biddy not end up together. I’m glad that Biddy and Joe are happy together, but I still think that her and Pip would have been better. I like the idea of her and Pip together, rather than Estella and Pip together, because she was so cold-hearted before. I know that it wasn’t all her fault, but I still just don’t like the idea of them having a relationship. Even so, in the rewritten version, it was nice to get a complete ending on what happened to everyone. Joe and Biddy have two children, Herbert and Clara are happy and married, and Pip is working hard at his new job and is enjoying staying with Herbert and his wife. Furthermore, Drummle was killed in an accident involving a horse that he had mistreated, but Estella had been unhappy with him, him being abusive and proud, so good riddance. (Sorry-not-sorry) After visiting Joe and Biddy at their home in the marshes, Pip goes to Satis House to see what has become of it, and sees none other than Estella walking around the empty lot. They start talking about how they often think about each other and how they will remain friends, which is also disappointing, in my opinion. I’d rather Pip end up together with someone instead of being a bachelor his whole life. He still deserves to be happy, even if he has his flaws, and so does Estella. “‘We are friends,’ said I, rising and bending over her, as she rose from the bench. ‘And will continue friends apart,’ said
    Estella.” (pg 484) My guess as to why Dickens’ friend told him to rewrite the ending, is that he felt it wouldn’t sit well with readers. He knew that people would be unhappy with the short and blunt ending, which doesn’t provide closure. Closure is the key to ending a story, so when there isn’t any, the novel almost seems unfinished. In conclusion, I liked the revised version of the ending of Great Expectations, because it provided better closure on the characters, and because it allowed the reader to possibly imagine Pip and Estella’s relationship growing into something better.

21. Dicken’s friend persuaded him to write a new ending to great expectations. Before both endings, Biddy says, “Tell me as an old friend. Have you forgotten her?” Pip responds with, “My dear Biddy, I have forgotten nothing in my life that ever a foremost place there, and little that ever had a place there. But that poor dream, as I once use to call it, has all gone by, Biddy, all gone by!” (pg. 482). Dickens reminds us that Pip and Estella never did end up together, and Pip will never forget that. In the original, it was left at that. We never saw Estella again, and we never know what happened to their relationship. Edward Bulwer-Lytton probably told Dickens to change it because Estella was such a major character, and to end with not knowing what happened to her left the reader feeling incomplete about the story. In the new and improved version, Pip runs into Estella, and they agree that they will stay friends. I prefer the new ending because even though it could have been an artistic choice to leave Pip and Estella’s relationship unanswered, I was interested to see what would happen. I am a little sad they never got together, and I am sad Pip never found love, but like he said, he is a bachelor and that’s that. I enjoyed the ending with the wedding and happy some of the only good people in the book, Biddy and Joe got married. I wasn’t expecting it so it was a nice surprise. Usually I end with something like “I am excited to see what happens next”, but we are done with the book now!

22. in the novel Great Expectations we see that Dickens has created two endings. The original and the revised one. In the revised ending Joe and Biddy get married(I did not expect this at all) 11 years later Pip comes to visit them once again and see their child. Well soon after Biddy asks Pip if he still thinks about Estella. He responds that he can never forget her but he does not love her anymore. Pip can never forget Estella since she is basically the reason of how he turned out to be. We come to find out that Estella’s husband Drummle was cruel to her and died in a horse accident. Pip assumes that she is probably remarried by now. Pip then goes to the Satis house to visit it one last time. There he meets Estella again. Surprisingly they both just want to be friends. Pip clearly has gotten over her by now. I’m the original ending Pip is in london with Biddy and Joe’s son and they see Estella in a carriage and kiss her hand. I would agree with the fact that the original one was bad. It really didnt show how Pip and Estella feels towards each other. It the idea that they might still love each other out there. This is clearly not the case. In the revised version it is clear that they no longer have romantic feelings towards one another. Although I would personally wanted them to get together i like the revised one better because it is clear

23. In the last chapters, I read both endings. The differences between these two endings were significant. The revised ending had Estella and Pip meet in the ruins of the Satis house. It also talked about how Estella was no longer with Drummle. In the original, Estella also is no longer with Drummle, but is remarried. In the original Pip meets her in a carriage, with little Pip. In the revised one, Pip is alone. In the original, Estella is living off of her own fortune, and in the revised one Estella said that everything eventually slipped away from her, and she was not in a carriage. I like the revised version more because the book ends full circle. I think the revised ending gives the book a full meaning when Estella and Pip end friends in the end. This is my opinion on the revised ending.