It’s up to you!

Tonight, please respond to Chapters 51-53 in any way you choose.  These chapters seem fairly varied to me, full of interesting details that may lead you to new questions or understandings about the themes and motifs presented in Great Expectations.  You may choose a close reading of one small passage or scene, or you may choose to address the larger thematic questions touched upon in these chapters.  Also, I’m thinking that we can use your responses to focus our discussion in class.

As always, be sure to use specific details from the text in your response and be sure to comment on at least one other comment in this thread.

GE blog #18

45 thoughts on “It’s up to you!

1. In chapters 51-53 many new things happen to develop the plot and the themes and motifs. Pip visits Jagers and Wemmick to get confirmation that Magwitch is Estella’s father and Molly is her mother. At first Pip cannot get any information but then he reveals Wemmick’s soft side and Jagger’s is so shocked he confirms Estella’s parentage. Then Pip goes and bring the check Miss Havisham gave him for Herbert to the shipyard man named Clarriker. The man says he will open a new business and hopes Herbert will run it. Herbert is excited to take Clara with him. Wemmick sends Pip a message telling him that next Wednesday will the perfect day to escape with Magwitch. Tuesday night comes around and Pip revives a letter. It is from an unnamed person telling Pip to meet him by the marshes. Pip goes and enters a small building. He is attacked and tied up with a rope. The attacker is Orlick. Orlick says how he killed Mrs. Joe. He also says how it is his fault Mrs. Joe died because he was always favored by Joe. This made Orlick angry. As Orlick is getting ready to kill Pip, Herbert, Startop, and Trabb’s boy burst in. Orlick manages to escape but Pop is safe for now. We end on the next morning when Pip is getting ready to escape with Magwitch. This goes back to our theme of revenge. Orlick wanted revenge for Pip always being liked by Joe more so he kills Mrs. Joe.

2. Chapter 53 was enthralling and mind-blowing. The feeling reminded me of the great turning point of Pip’s life. To restate the obvious, Pip was given a mysterious letter. It is not signed and simply says to go meet him at the marshes at 9 PM that night or the night after. Pip decided to go on that very night. He went to an inn lesser known that the Blue Boar that night before heading out. He finds a shack, as I understand, where Pip sees a candle. He goes in to inspect the candle, but is bound by ropes and restrained to a ladder. We find that Orlick himself had tied him up and intended to kill him for years and years of getting in his way and causing inconveniences to whatever he was doing since the moment he was born, apparently. He specifically mentions Biddy, and how Pip had promised to drive Orlick out of the country when he becomes rich. He also tells Pip that he was the one who was at the bottom of Pip’s staircase outside his room and, more importantly, that he was the one that hit Mrs. Joe over the head with his hammer, which eventually killed her. We did see allusions to this, though. In the period where Mrs. Joe had to draw out everything she wanted to say, Biddy interpreted that she wanted to allude to Orlick, and she seemed a little afraid of him. Just as Orlick is about to drink off the last of his ale (which meant he was about to kill Pip), Herbert, Startop, and Trabb’s boy came crashing through the door and subdued Orlick. We also know that Orlick somehow knew of Magwitch, and that he intended to kill him too. This is all fascinating and exciting, but doesn’t leave much to be said. It is more of a revelation. We do see before that, though how Pip reveals to Jaggers who Estella’s parents are. Jaggers himself seemed so surprised, he ‘started’ before he could stop himself, which he did the instant after. This shows that Jaggers is truly surprised, and hat he does never want to show that to anyone. We also see, for the first time, a disagreement between Wemmick and Jaggers. This is similar to when Estella disobeys Miss Havisham , slowly more and more until she marries Drummle and leaves Miss Havisham completely. The thing is, though, that Wemmick and Jaggers were able to resolve this by giving a good putting down the other clerk’s wishes. This shows how their jobs are the only thing that allows them to tolerate each other. And, although it was brief, Jaggers mentions ‘poor dreams’. In the first time he says it, he says “we won’t talk about ‘poor dreams;’ you know more about such thing than I, having a much fresher experience of that kind”(p412). Would this imply that Mr. Jaggers was once poor himself, and that he worked his way up? Just a thought.

• This was a very well thought out response. Great Job it made me understand the chapters even better. That is what I like about the blog, I always have a better understanding after reading peoples perspectives on the chapters!

3. Many new things happen in chapters 51 through 53, that lead us to make conclusions, and to add to the developing plot and theme. Pip goes to Mr. Jagger’s office to confirm that Molly is Estella’s mother, and Magwitch is Estella’s father. Mr. Jaggers sorts of stiffens up, but does not tell Pip anything, just to provide “evidence”. Then, Pip all of a sudden starts talking about Wemmick’s home, and the Aged P., and how he gets rid of his stress. Mr. Jaggers is very surprised when Wemmick even confesses it. He did not even know about it. “ What’s all this?….You with an old father, and you with pleasant and playful ways?”( pp. 412). Mr. Jaggers then goes on to explain how he saw Estella as a child who stood out from all the other children, a child that could be saved from a miserable life, unlike all the other children. Magwitch does not know of Estella’s existence. Then, Pip receives a letter from Wemmick that tells him the day, I believe it is Wednesday, to take Magwitch and escape from London. He is instructed to burn the letter afterwards. Pip decides to tell Startop to take Magwitch out of town. “ Take Startop. A good fellow, a skilled hand, fond of us….honourable”( pp. 417). However, he receives a dirty letter the following day, and this is the part I find most interesting. The letter is from an anonymous writer, who tells him to go back to the marshes. The letter almost dares him to come. “ If you are not afraid to come…”( pp. 418). Also, it tells Pip that if he wants information about Provis, he has to come. The guy knows about Provis? Pip decides to go anyways, without knowing who the person is. When he arrives at the sluice-house, he is suddenly attacked by a drunk Orlick. Orlick was the one who wrote the letter. Anyways, he is seriously drunk, and calls Pip a wolf and a enemy. “Oh you enemy, you enemy…speak, wolf!”( pp. 424). Orlick is drinking to get ready to kill Pip. He holds a grudge against Pip because according to Orlick, Pip was always the “favored” one. By being the favored one, Pip was driving Orlick out of the country. “ You and her have pretty much hunted me out of this country…you was always in Old Orlick’s way….”( pp. 427 and 425). He despised both Pip and Mrs. Joe, Pip being favored by Joe. Then it is revealed that Orlick was really the one to kill Mrs. Joe, who Pip has suspected all along. He killed Mrs. Joe as a sign of revenge, with the iron of Pip’s convict, which is how he knows about Pip hiding “his uncle Provis”. Pip is then saved from further things happening by Startop, Herbert, and Trabb’s boy. Orlick somehow escapes. A theme that reappears is revenge. Orlick wanted to take revenge on Pip by killing Mrs. Joe. He did partially succeed.

4. Many events that unfold in the reading are worth analysing. However, I think the most interesting one is what happened between Pip and Orlick. The day before Magwitch was to escape, Pip received a letter from an anonymous person. It told him to come back to the marshes to receive information about Provis. When Pip arrives, there is no one there. This makes him suspicious as there was a candle burning. Soon, Pip is assailed and tied up with a rope. His attacker and the anonymous author is revealed to be Orlick. He had hated and Pip and wanted to get revenge on him. Earlier in the book, Biddy had said she had the idea that Orlick had liked her. However Pip said she should stay away from him. Orlick is angry at Pip for getting in between him and Biddy. “ ‘It was you as always give Orlick a bad name to her.. And you’ll take any pains, and spend any money, to drive me out of this country, will you?’ said he, repeating my words to Biddy in the last interview I had with her.” Orlick was also angry that Pip had gotten in his way when he lived with Joe. “You was always in Old Orlick’s way since ever you was a child.” Many revelations are announced as well during Pip’s capture. It turns out, that Orlick had been the one that was watching Pip. He knew about Pip’s plan to get Magwitch out of the country. He had also been the one to assault Mrs. Joe. All the while during this, Pip is thinking he is going to die, and regrets everything he’s done. He does not want to be remembered as someone who deserted his family, or was terrible to his friends. “The death close before me was terrible, but far more terrible than death was the dread of being misremembered after death.” I also notice that throughout this conversation, Orlick consistently calls him a wolf. Could this be another support for the dog motif, or does it mean something else?

• Tony, I like how you went into great detail with your analysis, and how you pointed out little motifs along the way. I never would have noticed the wolf-dog motif! Great response

5. Chapter 51 was very interesting to me and it made me think a lot about Mr. Jaggers’s personality. In this chapter Pip goes to Mr. Jaggers and Wemmick to confirm Estella’s parentage. At first, Mr. Jaggers ignores Pip, but is certainly surprised Pip found out. Pip then goes on to explain that he still cares for Estella. “And if he asked me why I wanted it, and why I thought I had any right to it, I would tell him, little as he cared for such poor dreams, that I had loved Estella dearly and long, and that although I had lost her, and must live a bereaved life, whatever concerned her was still nearer and dearer to me than anything else in the world” (page 411). When Jaggers and Wemmick finally reveal to Pip after Pip talks about Wemmicks soft side, I started to realize that Mr. Jaggers also has a soft side. He wanted to save Molly’s daughter from a hard life and a life as a criminal. I guess Mr. Jaggers isn’t so intimidating after all.

• I like how you saw Jaggers had a soft spot and then using that inferred that Mr Jaggers tough personality might just be a pretense. Also Pip catches Jaggers off Guard with information on Estella’s parentage, so maybe Jaggers isn’t all knowing either.

6. Two major events occurred in the chapters for today, one of them being Pip’s conversation with Mr. Jaggers and Wemmick about Estella’s parentage. In this conversation, we see many characters show their true selves to each other, from Jaggers being caught off guard, to Wemmick’s confessing of his split personality at his home, which Jaggers had not known about until now. Jaggers is somewhat interested in what Pip has to say at first, and seems to be his usual calm self. But, when Pip says that Magwitch is the father of Estella, we see Jaggers lose his composure and his calm demeanor for the first time. “Even Mr. Jaggers started when I said those words. It was the slightest start that could escape a man, the most carefully repressed and the soonest checked, but he did start…”(Pg. 410). Wemmick’s split personalities have been one of the more interesting topics and characteristics in the book so far. But, Mr. Jaggers had not had any idea about Wemmick’s personality until Pip mentions it in their conversation. “Wemmick, I know you to be a man with a gentle heart. I have seen your pleasant home, and your old father, and all the innocent cheerful playful ways with which you refresh your business life…’You with an old father, and you with pleasant and playful ways”.(Pg. 412). Not only was the parentage of Estella confirmed in this conversation, but we also see Wemmick’s other side revealed to Jaggers, and we also see that it is not impossible to surprise or startle Jaggers.

• Good use of detail, William! I like how you went over chapter 51, because I was a bit lost, and you seemed to cover the major events in that chapter. Good job!

• I love your response! I also thought that chapter 51 was a very important chapter for the characterizations of both Jaggers and Wemmick.

7. In chapters 51-53 of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, the plot is further developed added by the inclusions of themes and motifs. It all begins, when Pip speaks to Mr. Jaggers’ about Estella’s parentage. Pip cannot manage to receive extra information about Estella, but that soon changed. Although Pip did not receive extra information, Jaggers’ confirmed that Molly was indeed Estella’s mother. This was all because Wemmick showed his pleasant side at work for the first time. The text states,” What’s all this?….You with an old father, and you with pleasant and playful ways?”(pg. 412) Jaggers does confess that he didn’t know about Magwitch’s role in the story. Pip then leaves to finish the task of securing Herbert’s partnership. He learns that Herbert will be transferred to the Middle East, and Herbert fantasizes about escorting Clara to the land of Arabian Nights. Later on, a message from Wemmick arrives, indicating that they should be ready to move Magwitch in two days. Pip also finds an anonymous note threatening his “Uncle Provis,” demanding that Pip will travel to the marshes in secret. Pip proceeds to travel to the inn near his childhood home, where he is reminded of how badly he has neglected Joe since he became a gentleman. Of all his losses, Pip thinks he regrets the loss of Joe’s friendship the most. That night, Pip leaves to go to the mysterious meeting on the marshes. Pip walks through the thick mist and enters an abandoned stone quarry and finds his candle without the flame. Suddenly, a strange voice grabs hold of him and threaten to kill him. Pip realizes that this man is none other than Orlick. Orlick accuses Pip of coming between him and a young woman he loved and declares his intentions to have revenge. Orlick also admits to killing Mrs. Joe and says that Pip is ultimately responsible for her death since Orlick did it to get back at him. Pip responds boldly by saying,”It was you, villain,” but is very afraid for his life. He fears that he will die and none of his loved ones will know how he hoped to improve himself and to help them. Does everyone in this book have serious anger problems, and are unable to experience anything bad?(Mrs. Joe, Miss Havisham, Molly, and Orlick) Pip cries out and finally, help came. Herbert had come through, and Orlick managed to escape successfully. Last but not least, Pip returns home with Herbert. Themes of hatred and revenge are portrayed clearly in this set of chapters.

8. In chapters 51-53, I noticed a lot of motifs that we mentioned today in class. In my opinion, chapter 53 had some of the biggest revelations, because we find out so much about Orlick, and Pip is in danger. A big motif I saw here was guilt. There is always this cliche of a character regretting everything they have done before they die, and realizing that they’ve done something wrong, but can’t fix it. On page 420-421 Pip states, “I have never been struck at so keen.y, and for my thankfulness to Joe, as through the brazen impostor Pumblechook. The falser he, the truerJoe; the meaner he, the nobler Joe.” Pip finally begins to realize how he hadn’t given Joe the recognition he deserves for being his friend. Then on page 425, Pip laments, “Joe and Biddy would never know how sorry I had been that night…” and “And so quick were my thoughts , that I saw myself despised by unborn generations- Estella’s children, and their children…” Pip doesn’t want to die as an arrogant young man, remembered as cold, and cocky. Finally, when it seemed as thought Pip’s fate was sealed, he thought, “I had thought a prayer, and had been with Joe, Biddy, and Herbert, before he turned towards me again.” Pip is aware of his remorse for what how he acted, and wishes he could change it, or apologize somehow. I also noticed that Pip only thought of Estella once when he was tied up in the house. He mainly thought of how Joe and Biddy would remember him. Another motif I noticed was fire, with the candle Orlick held close to Pip, and the recent event of Miss Havisham’s dress. In class tomorrow, I would like to discuss the plot of chapter 51, because I was quite confused.

• Great job, Ashley! You did a really great job explaining the motifs shown in these chapters, and I can’t say I noticed the image of fire, so I thank you for bringing that to the surface. You had great evidence, and I agree with us discussing the plot of chapter 51 tomorrow in class as it seemed a little muddled to me, too. Again, great job.

9. After reading chapters 51 through 53 there are many influential things but there is one in particular I would like to focus on. Near the beginning of chapter 52 Pip reads a dirty note which says,“If you are not afraid to come to the old marshes to-night or to-morrow night at nine, and to come to the little sluice-house by the limekiln, you had better come. If you want information regarding your uncle Provis, you had much better come and tell no one, and lose no time. You must come alone. Bring this with you (Page 418).” PIp foolishly goes along with this and takes the afternoon train down to the marshes. Upon entering the marshes Pip is tied up by his used-to-be colleague Orlick. “You was always in Old Orlick’s way since ever you was a child. You goes out of his way this present night. He’ll have no more on you. You’re dead(Page 425).” Throughout Pip’s interaction with Orlick we discovery that Orlick is very jealous towards Pip and feels he would have had Biddy if it wasn’t for Pip’s meddlesome interferences. “You cost me that place. You did. Speak!”… “You did that, and that would be enough, without more. How dared you to come betwixt me and a young woman I liked( Page 424)?” However Orlick isn’t a kind figure searching for love, he admits to being the person who attacked Mrs Joe Gargery. ”Again my mind, with its former inconceivable rapidity, had exhausted the whole subject of the attack upon my sister, her illness, and her death, before his slow and hesitating speech had formed these words, “It was you, villain,” said I. “I tell you it was your doing,—I tell you it was done through you,” he retorted, catching up the gun, and making a blow with the stock at the vacant air between us. “I come upon her from behind, as I come upon you to-night. I giv’ it her! I left her for dead. Orlick is responsible for doing many horrible and is nowhere near as nice as we might have previously thought of him. However with all his faults he does mention something important,”There’s them that’s as good a match for your uncle Provis as Old Orlick has been for you(Page 428).” This confirms that Compeyson is hear to capture Provis. We can hope that Pip can get Provis to safety but until we read more it is all just speculation.

• Good job Devan! I love how you managed to incorporate many different quotes yet you still helped clarify your aspect of the chapter. Keep up the great work!

10. Once again Dickens sets the scene perfectly in chapter 53. As described by Pip, “There was a melancholy wind, and the marshes were very dismal. A stranger would have found them insupportable, and even to me they were so oppressive that I hesitated, half inclined to go back.” (page 421). However, Pip does not follow his intuition and proceeds forward to the Sluice House to meet the author of the anonymous note. Inside the house, someone grabs Pip and has him in a hold-but who? Compeyson in search of Magwitch? No! It’s Orlick! (I always knew we had not heard the last of that creep.) Orlick explains that this is revenge on Pip for stealing away a girl he once had feelings towards. (I think that girl was Biddy.) Biddy always said she had felt that Orlick was interested in her and that he frightened her. Orlick also confesses to hitting Mrs. Joe over the head which ultimately led to her death, and he blames Pip for what he has done. Orlick is pure evil and takes no accountability for his actions. Pip is convinced he would have been killed at the hands of Orlick, but luckily for him, Herbert prevents this. Orlick manages to escape, which leads me to believe we have not heard the last of this evil man! One aspect of tonight’s reading that stood out to me was Pip in reaction to his possible death. It was not death itself he was afraid of, rather it was the fact that he would not be able to right his wrongs with the important people in his life, such as Joe and Biddy. This is significant as it shows how Pip is continuing to mature. I look forward to seeing how this experience will impact Pip’s future.

• Great job! I love how you put in that Pip wasn’t afraid of dying, he was afraid of fixing his relations with the people he cared about. Keep up the good work! 🙂

• Matthew, great job. I also wonder if this experience will change Pip and maybe even cause him to finally visit Joe again.

11. In chapters 51-53 one of the most plot-changing events that occurred was that Orlick attacked and was going to kill Pip. During their conversation, (If you could even call it that. It was more of Orlick explaining how Pip ruined his life while Pip thought about how he was probably going to die.) Orlick told Pip that because of Pip, Orlick was miserable. Orlick told Pip, “You cost me that place. You did…How dared you come betwixt me and a young woman I liked?…You was favoured, and he was bullied and beat. Old Orlick bullied and beat, eh?”(424-426) Orlick has been wanting revenge on Pip since he was a young boy. This fits into the theme of revenge. Miss Havisham wanted revenge on Compeyson and look where that got her! She ruined the life of a little girl who now has a block of ice for a heart. Orlick resenting Pip has led to him try to kill Pip. But before he does that, he tells Pip about what exactly he did to deserve to be killed. Orlick also admits hurting Mrs. Joe. “I come upon her from behind, as I come upon you to-night. I giv’ it her! I left her to dead…”(426) Pip gets really angry about this. Although she wasn’t very nice to him, he still loved his sister. And now Pip regrets not telling Joe and Biddy how sorry he is. Pip doesn’t mind much that he will die, (he was miserable anyway) he just wants to let the people he cares about know how much he was sorry for the pain he caused them. I hope that Pip will eventually get to fixing his relationships with those he loves and cares about.

12. A lot of interesting details have been revealed in chapters 51-53. But I wanted to focus on one particular theme in chapter 51. In this chapter, Pip has figured out who Estella’s parents are, but wants Jaggars to confirm it. Of course, Jaggars and Wemmick are all business when it comes to work, so they sort of ignore Pip. “I looked at Wemmick, whose face was very grave… but they were both happily relieved by the opportune appearance of Mike, the client with the fur cap and the habit of wiping his nose on his sleeve…” (414-415). I enjoyed how Dickens added to the theme of appearance vs. reality, how Jaggars and Wemmick are super serious at work. However, and especially Wemmick, they are great people i the comfort of their own home. The next two chapters, I understand the basic idea, but I am confused on many of the details like what startop is there for, why Pip is escaping, and how Orlick came back. If someone could explain just some of these little details I think I would be able to understand the big picture, but right now I am just lost.

13. The classic coming of age novel, Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens has a mouth full of themes and events that are just ludicrous yet so entertaining. As a part of tonight’s homework, we had to read chapters 51-53. While reading this there was a part in which I thought would be amazing to clarify. On page 418 of chapter 52, a paragraph reads, “On opening the door of our chambers with my key, I found a letter in the box, directed to me; a very dirty letter, though not ill written”. This conveyed the motif of letters. During the time of which this novel was written, people favored writing letters. With this thought maybe Dickens wanted the reader to connect the emotions you have when you get a letter because it means someone was thinking about you but you have the anticipation of wondering if they mean well or bad. Who knows if this small connection is right and can take a big leap in this book? Anyways, more specifically, the letter was described as “a very dirty letter”. This information lead me to believe that the letter showed the status of who wrote it (later we find out that this particular note was written by Orlick). Letters can be seen in different ways, some letters have fancy ink and have pearly white paper while others, like this one, can be dirty. Usually the fancy on is from a higher class and the dirty one has to do with a lower class who couldn’t afford fancy stamps and luxurious pens. Maybe Dickens is trying to foreshadow in this part while showing us a symbol?

14. These chapters revealed many interesting details, either barely touched on, or not touched on at all, left to gather dust in the dark. One such detail was who killed Mrs. Joe. We were hinted as to who it was when Mirs. Joe seemed a bit afraid of a specific man, after she had suffered a blow to the head. Eventually she ended up dying, and we find out who killed her because the same man tried killing Pip, but it was foiled by Trabb’s boy, Startop, and Herbert. This man was Orlick, and he wanted revenge on Pip for all of the years that Pip was in Orlick’s way. There is a lot about murder, and attempted murder in this book! That’s all great and all, but we also had a scene where Wemmick, Jaggers, and Pip were all talking. Pip confronted Jaggers, asking about Estella’s old parents. Even though he was fairly certain he knew who they were, he wanted to get clarification. Mr. Jaggers doesn’t openly admit that Molly and Magwitch are the parents, but instead provides a case as to what t would be if this was to have happened. This is kind of his way of getting around just saying yes, he could have easily said, yes you’re right, because Pip is right, but instead he goes on and on about what could happen of this was true. And everything he says has happened. During this discussion Jaggers asks why Pip wants to know this, and Pip says it is because he loves and cares for Estella and wants to know more. So, he is still in love with her, even though she is married, and has told Pip many, many times that she could not be loved. *sigh* Anyway, Orlick was able to try to kill pip, because Pip was stupid. Pip had received a dirty letter, from an anonymous writer that told him to go to the marshes to find out more about Provis (Magwitch). So Pip went and was attacked by a drunk Orlick. Orlick said that Pip and Mrs. Joe were always getting in his way. Pip, being the “favoured” one, was slowly driving Orlick away. So he decides to kill them both, good idea. Even though these chapters aren’t as interesting as some of the others that we’ve read, they still hold a good deal of importance to the plot, and the characterization of Pip, all the way at the end of the book, we’re still learning new things about Pip.

15. In chapters 51-53, we had a lot of great and new information. In chapter 53 especially, there was a huge turning point. I chapter 53, Pip went back to the marshes because he got a note from an anonymous person to come and meet them there. Pip decided to leave and go meet the mysterious person in case it was in regards to Provis (after leaving a note for Herbert of where he was going) and then he went and had to look for the person. He started by calling out to see if anyone was there and then out of nowhere, a man jumps behind him and takes him, screaming, “I’ve got you!” and scaring Pip even more because he still didn’t know who it was. Then, as Pip is put down and tied to the chair he sees him, and the man was Orlick. Pip was so shocked, and I’m sure we all were as well, he didn’t know what to do with the situation. Pip started asking questions, because he was so confused as to why this happened and why Orlick wanted to capture and hurt him. Orlick starting talking and telling Pip of how he had had enough with Pip and how throughout their whole lives Pip was trying to get Orlick out of the way. Pip barely even knew he had ever done that to Orlick and was so confused. Orlick talked to Pip as though this had been something in the making for a long time, and that Orlick has wanted to kill Pip for years now, but was waiting for the perfect time to do so. Pip was terrified and didn’t know how to help himself in the moment, he started praying and thinking of the ones he loved (at this moment, I noticed he didn’t bring up Estella which was nice to see). But Orlick gets very close to killing Pip and he starts calling out to see if anyone is there. Next thing we know, Pip wakes up in the same place, untied from the chair and on the ground. He was unconscious and has just come to when he sees Herbert there, along with Trabb’s boy and Startop. He is very happy to see them (specifically because Orlick is not there) and gets to hear their side of the story. Although Pip is very lucky that he didn’t die or get hurt from Orlick, he is still scarred and mentioned that he will always feel the presence of Orlick around him like a ghost, sort of way.

• Great job Ryan! One thing that I also noticed about Orlick was that he was drinking and was clearly very intoxicated and had been drinking a lot. This is kind of far fetched, but if Orlick is an alcoholic, then that brings in the motif of mental illness again.

16. In Chapters 51-53, several odd events occurred, including Pip’s chat with Mr. Jaggers and Wemmick. During this conversation, the only thing that intrigues me is the relationship between Mr. Jaggers and Wemmick. I understand that they have a boss-employee relationship, but they have different opinions of each other. For instance, Wemmick seems to be a little intimidated by him. He doesn’t want his chances of being fired to increase, he always agrees to whatever he says while he is there. Wemmick also never told Jaggers about the Castle and Aged P, so when Pip told that to Jaggers, he didn’t notice that Wemmick could’ve been “dismissed” from his occupation, causing Pip to worry. Fortunately, he smiled, andactually seemed quite interested about Wemmick. Wemmick thinks Jagger is intimidating, but he also thinks that when he retires, Jagger would want to live in a pleasant home with a close relative to take care of him. It is quite intriguing.
    Mr. Jaggers seems surprised when Pip told him about Wemmick’s life outside of work. Possibly from working with a stern post-office man for a long time, it must be shocking to think they were kindhearted, especially after knowing them for a long time. I think that Jaggers believed that Wemmick’s personality was like his own, but in reality Wemmick just wanted to be pleasing to him, so learning of him as opposite of what he expected makes him seem like a huge impostor. Hopefully, they will grow out of their boss-employee relationship and become friends outside of work.

17. For tonight’s homework we were instructed to read chapters 51-53 of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. From these chapters I would like to focus on a certain paragraph. “My mind, with inconceivable rapidity, followed out all the consequences of such death. Estella’s father would believe I had deserted him, would be taken, would die accusing me; even Herbert would doubt me, when he compared the letter I had left for him, with the fact that I had called for Miss Havisham’s gate for only a moment; Joe and Biddy would never know how sorry I had been that night; none would ever know what I had suffered, how true I had meant to be, what agony I had passes through. The death close before me was terrible, but far more terrible than death was the dread of being misremembered after death. And so quick were my thoughts, that I saw myself despised by unborn generations – Estella’s children, and their children – while the wretch’s words were yet on his lips.” (Pg. 425) These are Pip’s ‘final thoughts’ before Orlick ‘killed him’ (he never got to kill him). The entire time Pip is so worried about others will think of him, once again bringing up the motif of reputation. Also the order of thoughts was interesting to me. First he thinks of Magwitch, then Herbert, then Joe and Biddy. First of all, why would he think of someone that he was not excited about meeting in the first place, nevertheless he is the first person that comes to mind. Secondly, Joe and Biddy should be much more important to Pip considering that Joe raised Pip and Biddy was so close to Pip and is just an overall amazing person. They should have been thought about first! Third of all, why didn’t he think of Estella at all? All Pip has been thinking about recently was Estella and suddenly she doesn’t matter anymore? Sure, he brings up not being liked by her kids but is that really thinking about her? All in all, Pip’s thoughts in chapter 53 gave is insight to the person that he really is and what he really cares about.

18. In chapters 51-53 a lot happens. The theme of revenge and appearances vs reality play a quite a large role in the events. In chapter 51, Pip gets a note tellib him to meet at night and to come alone to get more information on Provis. So Pip decides to go, when he gets there he’s attacked from behind, grabbed and tied up in a chair. His attacker was Orlick. Orlick has had a lifelong grudge against Pip since Joe liked Pip better and because Pip spoke ill of Orlick to the woman he loves. Orlick then tried to kill Pip for what Pip has done. But this was not Orlick’s first attempt at murder. He earlier on in the book, was the one to hit Mrs Joe. He’d hoped to murder her, but failed to do so and is trying again with Pip. Orlick feels Pip and Joe have both wronged him and they deserve to be punished. He wanted Joe to lose his wife and Pip to lose his life. Luckily, Trabb’s boy/young man saw Pip, got Herbert and came to rescue him. This plays into the theme of appearances vs reality. The only time we saw Trabb’s boy he was making fun of Pip, not being very serious and was just acting like a fool. But in reality he’s really selfless, brave and kindhearted. Pip thought he was too good to associate with Trabb’s boy and yet Trabb’s boy came and saved him. We thought of Trabb’s boy as a fool and he’s really not. He’s quite mature. He didn’t even care that Pip took back all the rude things he did to him, he just knew he had to help and didn’t really expect much in return. I think this is sort of a foil to Provis in a way, Bith help out Pip in huge ways and don’t even want anything in return.

19. Dickens manages to write a very interesting scene in chapter 52. What really struck me was the end of that chapter when Pip is at the inn and talking to the landlord. Their conversation goes like this: “ ‘Do you know the young man?’ said I. ‘Know him!’ repeated the landlord. ‘Ever since he was — no height at all.’ ‘Does he ever come back to this neighbourhood?’ ‘Aye, he comes back,’ said the landlord, ‘to greet his friends, now and again, and gives the cold shoulder to the man who made him.’ ‘What man is that?’ ‘Him that I speak of, said the landlord. ‘Mr. Pumblechook.’ ‘Is he ungrateful to no one else?’ ‘No doubt he would be, if he could’ returned the landlord, ‘but he can’t. And why? Because Pumblechook’s done everything for him.’ ‘Does Pumblechook say so?’ ‘Say so!’ replied the landlord. ‘He han’t got no call to say so.’ ‘But does he say so?’ ‘It would turn a man’s blood to white winegar to hear him tell of it.’ I thought, ‘Yet Joe, dear Joe, you never tell of it. Long-suffering and loving, Joe, you never complain. Nor you, sweet-tempered Biddy!’ ” (420). Honestly, reading this makes me wants to find Pumblechook, walk up to him, and slap him in the face. And I think that Dickens did that on purpose to help the reader characterize Pumblechook. He is an egocentric, self-centered, arrogant, makes-you-want-to-punch-him type of person. He’s the sort of guy who steals the spotlight from everyone, and thinks that everything revolves around him, and that everything good that happens to those he knows is because of him. Also, Pip, after hearing this, is filled with disgust towards Pumblechook. He is also stunned by the fact that he has been so ungrateful to Joe. “I have never been struck so keenly, for my thanklessness to Joe, as through the brazen impostor Pumblechook. The falser he, the truer Joe; the meaner he, the nobler Joe,” (421). It’s also ironic, because Joe and Biddy aren’t complaining, but Pumblechook is basically saying that this is the worst thing that could’ve happened to him, after being ‘responsible’ for Pip’s fortune, then getting ‘shunned’ by him. And Pip is also comparing Joe and Pumblechook like two opposite forces. They are directly related to his feelings, in the sense that, even though Pumblechook shouldn’t be upset because he did almost nothing, he is, and that makes Joe seem, by comparison, nobler, because Joe hasn’t even complained. So even though Pumblechook and Joe are different in almost every way, they are related in the roles they play in Pip’s feelings. In conclusion, the end of chapter 52 was very interestingly written because it reinforced the reader’s initial assumptions about Pumblechook’s personality, and compared him and Joe in a new way.

• I agree with your statement on how nobody is complaining accept Pumblechook. It really is funny because he had the most minor part in his upbringing as a gentleman yet he takes more credit than anybody else.

20. Chapter 53 includes the answer to a question most of us have had for the longest time: who is actually responsible for Mrs. Joe’s attacking and death? Well, do we have the answer now! In the cold night, Pip walks into the marshes where he was told to be by a mysterious letter. We would all do the same, wouldn’t we? He enters a cabin with a single lit candle, and is grabbed by Orlick! There, Pip is tied up and Orlick confesses to being behind Mrs. Joe’s attack and death. This is so important because it just seems to show the whole theme of revenge in this book, and how It’s always trying to get back at someone. Orlick says that Pip was “taking all of Joe’s attention” but obviously Orlick wasn’t going to be cared for by Joe as much as Pip is. I truly think Orlick is an obsessive lunatic, because he also blames Pip for Biddy leaving, which isn’t his fault. It seems that he likes to pin his bad luck unto others.

21. Chapters 51-53 is a whirlwind of chapters. There are two major parts. One is Pip asking Wemmick and Jagger’s, Estella’s heritage. Where she is from, her parents. Are her parents actually Magwitch and Molly? Well, in order to get information out of Jagger’s and Wemmick, Pip realizes that the only way was to bring up Wemmick’s life outside the office. The Aged, his home, and how he relieves himself from stress. Jaggers is quite suprised and wonders why he doesn’t know this. He says, “You with an old father, and you with pleasant and playful ways?”( pp. 412). Jaggers thinks he knows his old time coworker and friend but it turns out he doesn’t. Mr. Jaggers then tells him that Estella was a child that could be saved. However, Magwitch has no idea about the child. Pip then receives a letter from an anoonymous person saying to meet him out on the marshes to find out about Provis. (doesn’t that seem a bit suspicious? wouldn’t you be a little freaked out?) He then encounters a very drunk Orlick. Orlick was always very jealous of Mrs. Joe and Pip for being “favoured by Joe” He admits to killing Mrs. Joe. He ties Pip up and Pip is about to face death and he is counting all of his loved ones and people he loved. (he doesn’t say Estella). When Startop, Herbert, and Trabb’s boy comes to his rescue and saves Pip. I am excited to know what will happen in the coming chapters since the book is soon ending.

22. A lot happens in chapters 51-53, and the events that transpired allow us to get further insight into some past characters we may have forgotten about. The part that I found most surprising was when Pip received a letter from an unknown source, telling him to go down to the marshes if he wants more information on Provis. After careful consideration, Pip decides to go. When he arrives at the meeting place described in the letter, no one is there, though there is a candle still burning. Suddenly, Pip is apprehended from behind and tied up by none other than Orlick! Orlick is angry at Pip for making him lose his job at Miss Havisham’s and for speaking ill of him to Biddy, whom he had a crush on. ‘“You cost me that place. You did. You did that, and that would be enough, without more. How dared you come betwixt me and a young woman I liked?’” (pg. 424) After saying that he’s going to kill Pip, Orlick also says that it was himself who attacked Mrs. Joe, later causing her death. This is quite disturbing, to think that someone would resort to violence and even murder, over something as small as a little jealousy and a disagreement that could have been solved if he had just come out and said that he was feeling left out. During this whole event, Orlick is very drunk, and continues to drink from a small pouch around his neck. Pip says that every time he took a sip, he knew that his life was getting closer and closer to being ended. “I knew that every drop it held was a drop of my life. I knew that when I was changed into a part of the vapour that had crept towards me but a little while before, like my own warning ghost, he would do as he had done in my sister’s case…” (pg 427) This makes me wonder if maybe alcohol could be another small motif, or perhaps a symbol for someone’s mind being clouded, like Orlick’s mind was being clouded by his jealousy and hatred for Pip. Overall, I found these chapters very interesting, and I think they provided great characterization and imagery to further help with our understanding of the chapters.

23. In chapters 51, 52 and 53 of the coming-of-age novel, “Great Expectations”, by Charles Dickens, there is a specific part. After his conversation with Mr. Jaggers, Pip receives a note that says, ““If you are not afraid to come to the old marshes to-night or to-morrow night at nine, and to come to the little sluice-house by the limekiln, you had better come. If you want information regarding your uncle Provis, you had much better come and tell no one, and lose no time. You must come alone. Bring this with you.” (pp.418). Pip decides to actually listen to the letter says and goes to the sluice-house. When Pip enters the sluice-house, someone attacks him and tie him up. But who? It was the one and only Orlick. Orlick wants to kill Pip. He says, ““You was always in Old Orlick’s way since ever you was a child. You goes out of his way this present night. He’ll have no more on you. You’re dead.” Orlick wants to kill Pip for one main reason: love. Although the reader cannot be sure who Orlick liked, they can assume it was Biddy. “Old” Orlick says, “How dared you to come betwixt me and a young woman I liked?” (pp. 424). He then says, “‘And you’ll take any pains, and spend any money, to drive me out of this country, will you?’ said he, repeating my words to Biddy in the last interview I had with her.” (pp.424). Earlier in the novel, Biddy told Pip that she thought that Orlick liked her. When Orlick repeats what Pip told Biddy, this makes the reader think of two possibilities: “Did Biddy tell Orlick this? Why?” or “Did Orlick eavesdrop and find out himself?” Pip almost dies that night and regrets many things. He was luckily saved by Trabb’s boy, Herbert, and Startop. All in all, these series of chapters were important and really affected Pip.

24. In chapters 51 to 53 the theme of revenge can be summarized. This theme of revenge is mainly shown through the actions of Orlick. Orlick sent a note to Pip that stated for Pip to go back to marshes to inquire on information. When Pip received this “dirty letter” he was in the middle of the process where they were going to get Magwitch safely abroad. Pip decided to abandon this to go to the Marshes. Pip got to the old house and was surprisingly attacked by none other than Orlick. This was actually quite shocking for me as well. I anticipated Pip to have an interaction with Compeyson but that was not the case. As Orlick prepares to kill Pip he goes on about how Joe favored Pip and Mrs. Joe and that, “ You and her have pretty much hunted me out of this country…you was always in Old Orlick’s way….”( pp. 427 and 425). Orlick also admits that he killed Mrs. Joe out of jealousy. Orlick seems to be a jealous man who gets his temper in the way of his life. Fortunately Herbert Startop and Trabb’s boy saved him. Orlick clearly shows a deeper and darker understanding of revenge. He feels as though Pip and Mrs. Joe ruined his life. He shows this by blaming Pip for “Old Orlicks” actions. This also draws many questions. How did Orlick know about Magwitch? Is Orlick working with Compeyson? In conclusion the theme of revenge can be shown through Orlick

25. In chapters 51-53 we saw many interesting things. We saw how Pip told Mr.Jaggers about Wemmick living with his father, and not being so professional. We saw how Pip brought in Miss Havisham’s order for nine hundred pounds for Herbert. When Pip was to leave his home, he got a mysterious letter. He decided to go to the location stated in the letter. On his way there, he dropped the letter, even though he had to bring it with him, and he thought he lost the letter. While he was gone, Herbert found the letter, and Pip’s letter stating that he is leaving. Seeing this is shady, Herbert decided to follow Pip. When Pip got there, the rendezvous point, he saw that there was no one there. Then Orlick kidnapped him. Orlick bound him, and told him that he was jealous of Pip being the only one in his way of getting Biddy, he said that he was the one who disabledrs.Joe, and he was going to kill Pip, and frame it as if Pip was confessing that he killed Mrs.Joe. Orlick was about to kill Pip, when Startop, Herbert, and Trabb’s boy came and saved him. I think this ties in with a motif of jealousy, and is a very interesting part of the book.