“Why should I loiter on my road…?”

Dear Students,

This weekend, I would like you to loiter on your road as we approach the end of our journey with Pip.  Finish your reading for the weekend, and then “pause, you who read this” to think about the images, motifs, or themes would you like to discuss.  Certainly, these themes, images or motifs may be represented in this weekend’s reading or they could be from earlier in the novel.  But you should think of ideas that we have not yet addressed in class, but which have been on your mind.  You are not expected to have an answer, only to question.

As always, please be sure to follow the rules of standard written English and respond to at least one comment in this thread.

GE blog #16

46 thoughts on ““Why should I loiter on my road…?”

1. Chapter 44 leads me to question on Estella’s and Pip’s relationship. In the beginning of the book, Pip fell in love with Estella although she was very insulting, while Estella called him a “common labouring-boy.”(p. 60) She commented on the way he called knaves and “measured” his body. Yet, when both matured and became a lady and a gentleman, things are slightly different. Estella no longer insults him, but she doesn’t treat him any different than anyone else. Pip, on the other hand, falls in love with her even more. Everyone believes that Estella has no heart, even Estella, except Pip. He refuses to believe that, although he had known her for a while, and had been insulted by her several times. Estella tries to warn Pip from herself, possibly to keep his heart from being broken, although doesn’t seem to want to listen. Later on, in the book in chapter 38, Pip feels jealous when she gives looks and smile to other men. He tells her about his dilemma, and she responds with,” Do you want me then to deceive and entrap you?”(p. 311) He asks if she did that to the men. She says, “Yes, and many others,—all of them but you.”(p. 312) All of this doesn’t seem to add up to me. Why does Pip love Estella, despite her treating him poorly when he was little? Is it because of her beauty, or is it something more that we don’t know yet? Why is Pip special to Estella? He should be like every other boy she meets, poor or rich. Is it a secret plan for revenge, or is it truly something about Pip that intrigues Estella? These were all questions that were in my head. Then, I read chapter 44. It showed a small spark of clues on their relationship. Pip confesses to Estella as soon as he learns that she was to marry Drummle. We learn that Estella has a big spot in Pip’s heart from not only her beauty but also the big part she plays in his life, good and evil. Yet, that wasn’t what had intrigued me. What shocked me most was Estella and Miss Havisham’s reactions. “But ever afterwards, I remembered,—and soon afterwards with stronger reason,—that while Estella looked at me merely with incredulous wonder, the spectral figure of Miss Havisham, her hand still covering her heart, seemed all resolved into a ghastly stare of pity and remorse.”(p. 365) For the first time in a long time, Estella seemed shocked. She always seemed to look serious when Pip met her. Just like Joe’s last words to Pip as he left London, it moved Estella. Even Miss Havisham was pitiful and remorseful. I am quite interested what will happen next.

2. As we are nearing the end of Great Expectations, it is best to recap themes, images, or motifs that we have seen throughout our reading. A theme that strikes me the most is affection. Throughout the book many decisions were heavily influenced by love. For instance, Miss Havisham had been so enveloped in love with Compeyson that she could not make rational decisions. “I believe that she had not shown much susceptibility up to that time; but all she possessed, certainly came out ten, and she passionately loved him.. He practised on her affection in that systematic way, that he got great sums of money from her..” Another exceptionally fitting example is Pip and Estella. No matter how terrible, no matter how little sympathy she has, Pip still wants her to be his because of affection. “ ‘You must know that I have no heart,—if that has anything to do with my memory.’ I got through some jargon to the effect that I took the liberty of doubting that. That I knew better. That there could be no such beauty without it.” However this affection is also a weakness for those people. Miss Havisham had not been so vulnerable, but once she fell in love with Compeyson, she did everything for him. Even things that were to any average person, bad judgement. Pip had also known that he loved her against all common sense. However, he still loved Estella despite all these reasons to dissuade him. “The unqualified truth is, that when I loved Estella with the love of a man, I loved her simply because I found her irresistible. Once for all; I knew to my sorrow, often and often, if not always, that I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be.” It is both a weakness and a blessing to be able to have affection or love for others.

3. We are nearing the end of Great Expectations, and we should look back on developing themes, motifs, and images. Some themes that play a large role in the novel are love, affection, and heartbreak. Starting with Mrs. Havisham, she fell too deeply in love with Compeyson, and got “too close”. She didn’t even take notice of what he was doing behind her back. “ He practised on her affection in that systematic way, that he got great sums of money from her”( pp. 181). Therefore, when Compeyson did not show up on their wedding day, ( because he got arrested ), she fell into a deep, immense heartbreak. As a result, she hates the male race, and about everyone else. “ The day came, but not the bridegroom…at which she afterwards stopped all the clocks…she laid the whole place waste…and she has never since looked upon the light of day”( pp. 182). Love and affection blinded her to an extent. Secondly, we have poor Pip. He is deeply in love with Estella, even though she has warned him about “entrapping” him. “ Do you want me…to deceive and entrap you?”( pp. 311). Pip does not take the warning, however, and continues to love her strongly. He does not believe what she says. He, too, is blinded by love. When he goes to Mrs. Havisham’s house, he finds out that Estella is being married to Bentley Drummle, and that he has been following her around and that they dine every night. When he hears this, he is in deep agony. “.. considering what agony it gave me to hear her say these words”( pp. 363). He tries to convince her not to marry him, but she does not listen. He then confesses to her that she was a huge part of his heart, and was part of his “ existence”. Baloney. Anyways, if he had took Estella’s warning, none of this would have happened. These themes are a huge part of the novel Great Expectations.

• Great Job Jacky! You included some great points and analysis with incredible writing skills. Perfection! Keep up the great work!

4. As the third and final stage of Great Expectations began, there were many incorporations of the many themes already mentioned throughout the novel. The most occurring one being a certain head-over-heels in love with a special someone. For example, that was Miss Havisham towards Compeyson, and Pip towards Estella. Both Miss Havisham and Pip were both heads over heels in love with someone and they both find out that it doesn’t work out in the end. Miss Havisham loved Compeyson so much and they were destined to get married. What she didn’t know was that he would be unable to attend the wedding due to jail. “ He practiced on her affection in that systematic way, that he got great sums of money from her”(pg. 181). She was so blinded by her love for this man that she was just purely heartbroken. In addition, Pip dearly loved Estella although she was treating him badly. She didn’t even have feelings and Pip knew that, but he still loved her. The text states,”‘You must know that I have no heart,—if that has anything to do with my memory.’ I got through some jargon to the effect that I took the liberty of doubting that. That I knew better. That there could be no such beauty without it.”(pg.237)This shows that Pip loved Estella no matter what she was like, and even if she didn’t have any feelings. Later on, when she declares to marry Drummle he becomes heartbroken just like Miss Havisham. He tries his hardest to change Estella’s perspectives and it doesn’t work, when he finally confesses the love he had for her. I wonder if Pip will try to sabotage the wedding in pursuit of jealousy? I know this is unlike Pip, but he loved Estella so dearly. Furthermore, I still think that Estella will end up marrying Pip, but that’s beyond the point that he did get his heart “broken.” In conclusion, certain themes of love and affection are portrayed all throughout the novel and seem as if they will continue to.

5. Nearing the end of “Great Expectations”, we should look back at some main themes of the book. The main theme that strikes me is emotion towards other people, either good or bad. In the book, we see many people do many different, and sometime illogical things due to love or hate. The most prominent cases of this is Miss Havisham to Compeyson, Pip to Estella, and Magwitch to Compeyson. Miss Havisham was completely in love with Compeyson, and gave all of herself over to Compeyson. In the end, Compeyson had complete control over her, and it all ended up in tragedy for Miss Havisham. Compeyson wasn’t able to attend the wedding due to jail, and she was heartbroken. “He practiced on her affection in that systematic way, that he got great sums of money from her”(Pg. 181). This is the same case with Pip and Estella. Pip goes out of his way to impress her and be able to call her his own, but never succeeds. Everything he did in his life was partially thinking about her, and in the end, his efforts were in vain. After Estella left to her new home in London after her day with Pip, Pip states that he, “…I got in with a bad heart-ache, and I got out with a worse heart-ache”(Pg. 270). This mentality continues with Pip after every visit with Estella, and reaches an all-time high when Pip finds out that Estella planned to marry Bentley Drummle. But, not all actions are because of love, and some are because of hate. Many of Magwitch’s actions were because of one man, Compeyson. Compeyson manipulated and used Magwitch while they were partners, and after their final encounter when Compeyson got half the trial that Magwitch got, Magwitch snapped. During the trial, Magwitch said, “Once out of this court, I’ll smash that face of yourn”(Pg. 351). As we know, Magwitch did indeed fight with Compeyson in the marshes, and this was completely driven by hate. Many people’s actions in this story are solely based on emotions. Some do it due to the ones they love, and some do it due to the ones they despise.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

6. So far in Great Expectations there has been many themes and motifs. One is heartbreak. Throughout the whole book there is Miss Havisham telling Estella to break their hearts. We now know she was saying to break all the boys hearts. Another theme could be status. This is because the whole reason Pip wants to become a gentleman is because Estella says he is a common boy. Pip wants to become a higher status than a blacksmith. Another theme could be what goes around comes around. Pip gives the convict food and in return the convict goes to Australia, becomes rich being a shepherd, and uses the money to make Pip a gentleman. Not a very fair trade. But we can see that if you do something good it will come back around and something good will happen to you. A motif would be the convicts. This may go along with status. Convicts are at the lowest status in this London society. Another theme that could tie into this is appearance versus reality. When you look at the convict you would never think he would work to make someone he barely knows a gentleman. These are some of the main themes and motifs of Great Expectations.

• Good job! I loved how your answer was short and sweet. I like how you took a different approach on the question and summarized multiple motifs and theme.

7. As the end of Pip’s expectations are approaching quickly, there have been multiple motifs, images, and themes. One popular motif was abuse. When you hear abuse you think it is just physically but in this book, like in many other scenarios, it was also represented mentally. In the beginning of the book, when we met Estella, Estella abused Pip mentally. On page 65 Pip said, “I thought, if she saw me frightened; and she should have no fair reason”. In other words Pip was scared of Estella yet didn’t want to cry because he was afraid it would make his life harder. In a way, this lowered Pip’s confidence level. Another example of abuse as a motif is when Joe feels pressured and like Pip is getting in his head just to tell him that he isn’t good enough. In which case it was almost as if Joe was getting mentally abuse but Joe loved Pip so much that he ignored it and tried to find the good in Pip. When Joe goes to Pip in London he talks about how he is never going to be the person Pip wanted him to be and he can’t change who he is just for Pip. Lastly, Pip’s convict, Magwitch, was abused throughout his childhood. He was abused mentally when he said that he wasn’t a good person and he will never be. With this Magwitch was always the one to blame and since the abuse was continuous he just learned how to live with it. Magwitch was also abused physically when he was younger when he went to jail from time to time. All in all, abuse played a big role in the three volumes of Pip’s expectations and his journey.

8. Throughout the coming of age novel, Great Expectations, the theme of love and hate has been a major aspect of the book. In chapters 43, 44, 45, and 46, the theme is brought up again. One obvious example is that Pip is blinded by Estella’s beauty. Pip loves Estella even though she acts as if she does not care for Pip. “The unqualified truth is, that when I loved Estella with the love of a man, I loved her simply because I found her irresistible. Once for all; I knew to my sorrow, often and often, if not always, that I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be. Once for all; I loved her none the less because I knew it, and it had no more influence in restraining me than if I had devoutly believed her to be human perfection.” Even though Estella is always rude to Pip and makes him feel bad about himself, Pip still loves Estella. Why does Estella act like she does not care for Pip yet she tries to warn him and chooses not to entrap him? What is Estella trying to warn Pip? Another clear example of love is Miss Havisham’s love for Compeyson. She loved him so much that she could not realize that she was being scammed. “He practised on her affection in that systematic way, that he got great sums of money from her” ( pp. 181). Because she was blinded by love, Compeyson stole Miss Havisham’s money. Not only do the characters in the book love others, some also hate others. Even in the beginning of the story, Magwitch has loathed Compeyson. “Do you see him?” pursued my convict. “Do you see what a villain he is? Do you see those grovelling and wandering eyes? That’s how he looked when we were tried together. He never looked at me.” (pp. 37). In the beginning of the story, Magwitch hated Compeyson so much that he gave up his freedom to take Compeyson to jail. He hated him so much that he calls Compeyson a villain and says blames being a convict because of him. Also, in the third volume, Magwitch says that “Once out of this court, I’ll smash that face of yourn” (pp. 351). Even after becoming rich and finally meeting the gentleman he has “made”, he still abhors Compeyson. All of those characters’ emotions of love and hate cause them to make their decisions. Love and hate are one of the most important features of the novel.

• You did a good job, aniket. Maybe you could find other places where hate is mentioned in the novel, to make it better.

9. Noy, great job! I loved that you chose the motif of abuse. It was totally different than everyone else and you explained everything really well. Keep up the good work.

10. So far in Great Expectations, Pip is shown two different types of love, even if he doesn’t see it. There is what Pip has with Estella, someone who is perfect in every way to him, but someone he cannot attain, and a type of imperfect love, where both people are still happy because they have each other. “The unqualified truth is, that when I loved Estella with the love of a man, I loved her simply because I found her irresistible. Once for all; I knew to my sorrow, often and often, if not always, that I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be. Once for all; I loved her nonetheless because I knew it, and it had no more influence in restraining me, than if I had devoutly believed her to be human perfection,” (232). Pip doesn’t truly love Estella. He just has a sort of infatuation with her. He doesn’t really know her, he is just encaptured by her beauty. At the same time, (back then) he knew he could never have her, as long as she was in a much higher social class. Then later, even as Pip becomes a gentleman, the revelation that Magwitch is his benefactor and not Miss Havisham destroys him. Again, his dreams of Estella cannot come true. Later, however, Pip goes to see Clara for the first time, and sees something else between Herbert and her. “There was something so natural and winning in Clara’s resigned way of looking at these stores in detail, as Herbert pointed them out,—and something so confiding, loving, and innocent, in her modest manner of yielding herself to Herbert’s embracing arm—and something so gentle in her, so much needing protection on Mill Pond Bank, by Chinks’s Basin, and the Old Green Copper Rope-Walk, with Old Barley growling in the beam—that I would not have undone the engagement between her and Herbert, for all the money in the pocket-book I had never opened,” (376). He sees a love between them which he knows is precious to them both. He sees the two of them, together and happy, “with pleasure and admiration,” (376). In conclusion, Dickens is able to depict to different kinds of love in the novel: one perfect yet unattainable, the other imperfect yet real.

11. We are nearing the end of Great Expectations, and the theme/motif that kept coming up was be yourself. In class, we read “True Courtesy” by Cecil Hartney, where it said that to be a true gentleman you must be yourself. Both Pip and Estella have problems with being themselves. In Pip’s case, he can’t be himself because of Estella. She makes him feel as if he is not good enough and needs to be better than he is. Pip was going to become a blacksmith with Joe and lead a happy life with family, but his love for Estella forced him to try to become a gentleman. His dream to be a blacksmith was crushed by Estella. She prevented him from being what he wants to be. Pip shouldn’t have let Estella’s criticism affect his choices. In the very beginning of the book Pip says that, “Her contempt was so strong, it became infectious, and I caught it.”(60) Pip tried to be someone he isn’t just for the purpose of impressing someone who criticised and teased him. Pip not only tried to change himself, but he tried to change others, too. Now, Pip is regretting that he became a gentleman and met Estella and Miss Havisham.
    Estella also did not have the chance to be herself. Her whole life was controlled by Miss Havisham. “‘All I possess is freely yours. All that you have given me, is at your command to have again. Beyond that, I have nothing.”(304) Estella has been raised by Miss Havisham and must obey the orders that her adoptive mother gives. Miss Havisham raised her to become someone that Estella doesn’t want to be. Estella wants to be in control of her own life. She doesn’t like how all Miss Havisham sees her as is a tool for breaking men’s hearts. Estella wants to be more than that. She wants to be her own person and not let others control her life. In that way, both Estella and Pip are similar. They want to live their lives the way they want them to be lived.

12. As we’re getting closer to the end of Great Expectations, it’s important to see if we can notice any new themes and motifs or come back to ones we’ve noticed before. A new motif I would like to mention goes along with our fairytale idea. The motif/ theme is that life isn’t a fairytale. In these chapters we read as Pip and Estella said their final goodbyes because they are not meant for each other. Pip has spent so much of his time and energy trying to be enough for Estella and her world. As he has grown and made his way as a gentleman, he has hoped that it meant he and Estella could be together. In this chapter, it became very clear to him that they couldn’t be together no matter how badly he wanted it. He went to Miss Havisham’s and fully confessed how he feels about Estella in front of both of them. Pip talked to her and she said that it’s not fair for him to tell her he feels something that she cannot comprehend. Pip pushes her to tell him that she’s with Drummle and she confesses that she is and they are set to be married soon. This hurts Pip even more because he has always known she couldn’t love, but for her to not be able to be loved by Pip, breaks his heart. This shows that no matter how bad we want things to end happily ever after, they don’t always and we have to be okay with the fact that things aren’t always meant to be. It’s hard to see Pip hurt and to watch his heart break in pieces the way we all predicted it would. Hopefully, he’ll find someone to live happily ever after with because although life isn’t a fairytale, he does deserve to be happy.

13. Question: did anyone else find it somewhat ironic that the man Jaggers loved is the one Estella will end up with. Maybe Jaggers had some pull with that, I don’t know but it was something I noticed.

• That is a great thought Ryan. That makes sense because Pip really emphasized how Drummle is nothing special and frankly, not a great guy. But Jaggars always liked Drummle, and maybe Estella sees what Jaggars saw. But Pip definitely doesn’t see it!

14. I notice a great many references to the theme of love/emotion in this novel thus far. Although it is very commonplace for novels to portray emotion, Great Expectations shows the recurring theme of love and has it play a tremendously significant part in the motivations of important actions made by characters. But before we go on, it is interesting to take notice that this is referred to as a ‘coming of age novel’ and focuses on love. Anyways, love is first referred to at the very beginning of the novel Pip comes home from the cemetery, after the threat from Magwitch, to his parents. We see right off the bat how Joe dearly loves Pip as a son and a brother, as he warns him that Mrs. Joe was going to come home and have a fit over Pip being gone all day. We then see Mrs. Joe herself, who, as we were already told, ‘raised Pip up by hand’. She is definitely strict and seemingly mean to Pip and Joe. However, this is evidence that Mrs. Joe really did care for and love Pip, as we know he was pretty much alone in the world without her and Joe, and she had the option of simply leaving Pip to die defenseless. Her strictness shows that she only wanted Pip to become a respectable, hard-working man. More evidence of Joe’s deep love for Pip is when the family sits down to a Christmas dinner. We see Mrs. Joe and Mr. Pumblechook insult Pip right in front of him with absolutely no respect or consideration to Pip. Joe does not take any part in this and appears uncomfortable at it. He just keeps piling on more gravy on Pip’s plate every time something rash is said about Pip. A few chapters later, Pip writes a letter to Joe in the crooked, barely legible language that is the only one Pip knows. We know from this that Pip truly loves Joe back with all his heart at that point in time. Another few chapters later, Pip is introduced to Estella. Pip then hopelessly falls in love with Estella, seeing her boundless beauty. She, however cannot disapprove more of Pip and hurts him in every way she can. Pip becomes rather self-conscious of his lifestyle and being lower class. Pip still does love Joe, but seems embarrassed about him. Fast forward to when Pip is being told that he is to become a gentleman. Pip over the long while has become extremely self-conscious and embarrassed about Joe and the forge. He, without much thought accepts it, full-well knowing that he will have to leave Joe and the rest of his family. It would appear as if Pip had no more love left for Joe, but we see feint traces of longing for Joe. For example, when Pip is waiting for his coach, he sees a man approach him who he wished was Joe, but it isn’t. Pip then continues his studies in London for a while until Joe visits Pip. Pip actually panics before Joe comes, fearing that Drummle will see Joe and laugh at Pip. But he doesn’t. Joe comes to tell Pip that this was good-bye for good and that Miss Havisham had wanted to see Pip again. Joe then truly does leave for good. We see, based off of this, that Pip had accepted the life he lives and does not wish to return, judging by the shame of Joe and his old life he still harbors. Pip still has managed to hold on to his last golden love and sincerity he had for Joe, though. We see Pip ask whether he will come back for dinner, and after he leaves, he runs out after Joe. When he returns to see Miss Havisham again, it turns out that she just wanted to show Estella to him again. She had returned from France and looked more dazzling than ever. This only serves to bring more pain to Pip’s life, because he knows she is hopelessly out of his reach. Later in the novel, Pip is told that Estella is coming to London and that he will have to take care that she gets where she needs to from the coach. Pip is simply writhing in pain the entire experience, showing above all that this love Pip feels for Estella is only damaging and painful. This is only amplified when Estella chooses to marry Bentley Drummle, against both Miss Havisham and Pip. Which brings us to the next character who is greatly affected by love, Estella. We learn early on the Estella is being raised by Miss Havisham to be a trap for all men; a revenge on all male kind. She easily plays and toys with Pip’s emotions and who knows who else. We then see, however, that Estella begins to disobey Miss Havisham at the end of chapter 38, when she tells Pip that she refuses to apply this trap to Pip. The exact nature of this action is rather unknown, but it could definitely be because she has developed feelings of her own, and does not wish to hurt Pip. She goes significantly further, however, when tells both Miss Havisham and Pip that she had decided to marry Bentley Drummle. Miss Havisham seemed too shocked to make any remarks, but Pip was mortified. Estella explains that the life Miss Havisham had taught her to live, offered little in return, and was cold and lifeless (despite it being a life-style). That brings us to the last character to mention the effect of love on, Miss Havisham. Miss Havisham, as we have known for the longest time, lives in her house and never lets the sunlight touch her. She always wears her wedding dress and hes the entire house decorated for a wedding. We learn that Miss Havisham once had a fiancee who she loved dearly and blindly. She was unaware, until the wedding day, that he had been stealing from her the entire time, and that he was caught and sent to jail. She stopped all the clocks, then, told the guests to leave, and lived in her house, raising Estella to be the revenge she so desperately craved, until the day Pip comes to Miss Havisham’s, and becomes the helpless victim of her wrath.

15. A recurring theme that Dickens reveals throughout the novel is that of guilt. Several times we have seen Pip be remorseful for his bad behavior towards Joe and Biddy. In tonight’s reading we now see the same theme of guilt in Miss Havisham. Miss Havisham has raised Estella the way she did in order to gain revenge on all men for being stood up by Compeyson. HOwever after Pip’s outburst and passionate appeal to Estella about how much he loved her and how she will always be part of his “very existence” (364), there was a change not seen before in Miss Havisham. She responded to Pip’s profession of love with “her hand over her heart and held it there. As she sat looking by turns at Estella and me…Miss Havisham, her hand still covering her heart, seemed all resolved into a ghastly stare of pity and remorse.” (pages 362 and 365). While she has achieved her goal, that of a brokenhearted Pip, all she felt is great sadness for what she has done. I wonder if what she feels will truly impact her and if her guilt will bring about a change in her character going forward which may eventually affect both Pip and Estella.

16. Through out Great Expectations, we have been introduced to many themes, images, motifs, and characterization. And something I think we should discuss in class is the competition between Drummle and Pip. “Bentley Drummle, who was so sulky a fellow that he even took up a book as if its writer had done him an injury, did not take up an acquaintance in a more agreeable spirits.” (Page 202) Bentley Drummle was so arrogant towards Pip, and it seems like he wants nothing to do with Pip. In chapter 43 and 44, Drummle becomes a bigger burden in Pip’s life, because Pip finds out that Drummle will be marrying Estella. “And therefore,” I went on, “with your leave, I will suggest that we hold no kind of communication in the future.” “Quite my opinion,” said Drummle, “and what I should have suggested myself, or done, -more likely-, without suggesting.” (Page 357) Pip has finally cut Drummle out of his life until he visits Estella, and she tells Pip that she will marry him. “I dropped my face into my hands, but was able to control myself better than I could have expected, considering what agony it gave me to hear her say those words.” (Page 363) Pip doesn’t want Estella to marry, Drummle, because he loved her so, but Drummle won, and Pip is defeated. There could also be a foil between them.

17. Since Pip’s first visit to the Satis House, he had fallen in love with Estella. Even though Estella had called him common and insulted him multiple times, her beauty had attracted Pip. Love and heartbreak seems to be a recurring idea. Compeyson had stolen money from Miss Havisham and left her at the altar years ago, and now Pip is in love with Estella, but Estella is heartless. Because Estella was raised by the vengeful Miss Havisham, Estella does not know what love is. Pip had always believed that Estella was “designed” for him, but after finding out his real benefactor, his dreams of marrying Estella are crushed. Miss Havisham only had him at the Satis House as a mere servant, and that Mr. Jaggers relationship with both Miss Havisham and Magwitch was just a coincidence. “‘When you first caused me to be brought here, Miss Havisham, when I belonged to the village over yonder, that I wish I had never left, I suppose I did really come here, as any other chance boy might have come,—as a kind of servant, to gratify a want or a whim, and to be paid for it?’ ‘Ay, Pip,’” (page 359). Later in the chapter, Estella divulges that she will be marrying Bentley Drummle. Obviously Pip is in shock as he had always been told that Estella doesn’t know or feel any love. Pip strongly believes that Estella should never marry Drummle and that he is not good enough for a beautiful women like her. “‘Estella, dearest Estella, do not let Miss Havisham lead you into this fatal step. Put me aside for ever,—you have done so, I well know,—but bestow yourself on some worthier person than Drummle’” (page 636). Love is a crucial part of the plot. It has shaped both Pip and Estella, and influenced their decisions and actions.

18. Something I found very interesting form the chapters we read this weekend was in chapter 44 when Pip is with Estella. Pip has found out that Benetley Drummle is coming to town to have a dinner with Estella. It’s revealed later he is also to be married to Estella. But something Pip says when he first arrived back at the Satis House really intriguies me about Pips character, and his character development. He states to Estella, “I know. I have no hope that I shall ever call you mine, Estella. I am ignorant what may become of me very soon, how poor I may be, or where I may go. Still, I love you. I have loved you ever since I first saw you on this house.” This intrigued me quite a bit. I believe this is Pip’s character moving in the right direct when it comes to being a better person in the future. Pip for the end of volume 1 and all of volume 2 has been very bratty, money hungry and snobbish. He’s joined social clubs for the sake of spending money. Pip has spent most of the novel being very frivolous, and immature. To me this was Pip showing he’s ready to mature. Every time Estella has shot Pip down or warned him of her, he waved it off and continued to hope that they’d marry. But in this instance Pip shows emotional maturity, he acknowledges that Estella will never reciprocate his feelings. He has finally realized that there is nothing he can do and won’t pursue her any longer. But Pip still cares for her and warns her not to marry the god awful Bentley Drummle. I feel he did this not to make her love him but because his was concerned about her well being and future. I think because of this we are going to see a more mature side to Pip going forward. Also when meeting Clara, I noticed how unlike with Biddy he isn’t concerned much with her status. Pip says he think she’s quite nice and pleasant, and Pip likes her quite a bit. When Pip describes his view on Ckara he mentions how good of person she is and not of she’s common or uncommon, or if she’s wealthy or poor. Not like how in the past he saw Biddy as someone he should love if only she wasn’t common. I think we’ll see a more mature and rational Pip as the rest of Volume 3 goes on. I hope we can discuss in class, what Pip could do to become a real gentelman or how we see his character ending up by the end of the novel. What will he be like?

19. As we are coming to the end of the novel, it is important to look back on recurring themes or motifs, that could serve a great purpose in the conclusion of the novel. The greatest theme that we see in the novel is emotion between characters. One specific example of emotion that I would like to focus on is between Estella and Pip. Pip was head over heels in love with Estella from the moment he laid eyes on her, but Estella did not have the same feelings for Pip. Estella repeatedly told Pip that she had “no heart,” but she did things that made Pip believe that she felt otherwise. One thing that Estella did was she let Pip kiss her. This confused Pip, but since he wanted Estella to love him, he decided that she did. Not only did Pip think that Estella sort of liked him, but he thought Miss Havisham was setting them up to be together. Pip reveals all of his feelings on page 362, “It induced me to hope that Miss Havisham ment us for one another.” All throughout the novel Pip is confused by his relationship with Estella, and what Miss Havisham was doing with them. Once Pip learned about Miss Havisham’s past he was convinced that she wanted revenge on men, and was using Estella to make him hurt, but he didn’t care because he loved Estella. Along with emotion towards each other, Pip and Estella’s story also has a motif of feelings not be reciprocated. We also see this when Magwitch is so happy with being Pip’s benefactor and Pip is not. Im wondering if Pip will start trying to be happy for Magwitch once he realizes that Estella not reciprocating feelings hurt him, but I doubt he will.

20. As we’re coming near to an end, of the book Great Expectations, more than a few themes and motifs are mentioned. Love is a major theme that plays a crucial role all throughout the book. First, Miss Havisham was head over heels for Compeyson. She was blinded by her love, that she never knew that he was stealing from her. Miss Havisham made irrational decisions and she wouldn’t listen to anyone except her beloved fiancee. Well, that didn’t work out too well. She was heartbroken forever. Now she’s stuck in time, wearing an old wedding dress with all of her clock stuck when she was supposed to get married.
    How Compeyson broke Miss Havisham’s heart, she brought up Estella to break the hearts of young men. A young victim just happened to be our coarse and common Pip. As a young man, he fell into Estella’s trap. He fell in love with her beauty. However, Estella treated Pip as her inferior. He was just an apprentice to a blacksmith. When Pip becomes a gentlemen, Estella starts to treat him like a man but still lures him. However, she does warn Pip that she cannot love. She has no heart, but Pip refuses to believe this. Later on, when Pip confesses his love for her, she says no and insists that she marries Drummle. Pip is heart broken and loses the love of his life. Its like this void in his heart was filled for his love for Estella but now its drained and it can never be filled again. Its quite sad. I wonder what will happen in the future in Pip’s love life and in other aspects in Pips life.

21. The chapters we read this weekend introduced more themes I would like to discuss. A theme we have already talked about is love, the love Joe has for Pip, the love Biddy has for Pip, and the love Pip has for Estella. But we haven’t really talked about the theme of heartbreak. On page 364, Pip tells Estella, “‘Oh Estella!’ I answered, as my bitter tears fell fast on her hand, do what I would to restrain them; ‘even if I remained in England and could hold my head up with the rest, how could I see you Drummle’s wife!’” Pip is saying this because Estella has told him she will be marrying Bentley Drummle. Pip is heartbroken for the reason being he is deeply in love with Estella, and couldn’t bear to witness her marrying a drip like Bentley Drummle. I had a feeling Drummle would play an important part in the plot. Pip is heartbroken now that the girl of his dreams is gone, and I had a feeling this was coming. Whenever Pip expects something great, it always seems like his expectations are never met. This event adds to the great overall theme of great expectations. However, the theme of heartbreak is also important in the story. We saw how crazy Miss Havisham got after the love of her life left, will this be the same for Pip? We have already seen Pip’s character can be influenced by many things, like how his social class affected how he talked to people like Joe. Maybe heartbreak will cause a dramatic change, like what happened to Miss Havisham. We just have to keep reading to find out.

22. We are now almost done with Great Expectations, and it is worth our while to look back and take notice if a few things. Something I have noticed that has been repeated many times, is e and even love and hate. Love has shown up with Estella, Pip, Miss Havisham, Joe, Mrs. Joe, and even Magwitch. And hate has shown up wit all the same people give or take a few. Firstly, love, Estella says she can’t love. She doesn’t hate people, but she can’t love, she says so herself. “That I have no heart,” (pg. 237). Estella was raised by Miss Havisham to never love, for it will ruin her, and so Estella doesn’t love. She simply can’t, she doesn’t know how to. Pip’s love is a bit more foolish than Estella’s serious problem. Even though it’s obvious to us, and Pip understands a bit better now, that Estella and Pip are not meant to be, Pip still wants it to happen. Pip just can’t help himself from loving Estella, after all she is pretty. He is the entire reason he wanted to become a gentleman, and she is why he is now apart of the upper class. Yet he still tells Estella, right in front of Miss Havisham, that he loves Estella. As expected, Estella reacts very little to this, and seems a bit disappointed, she did after all worn him not to love her. There is also Miss Havisham. She had an interesting love life indeed. After all,her love that she was to marry, and her brother robbed her and left her. She then becomes very depressed never leaving her house, ever. She raises Estella, and in not a very friendly way. She raised Estella to never love, and to always prey on the ones that love her. Needless to say, Miss Havisham became a bit crazy after her heart was broken. Joe, ah Joe. Joe is a great character. One of the best characters in my opinion. He is the most lovable, and very easy to relate to, at least for me. Joe will always love Pip, and truly loved Mrs. Joe. No matter what, Joe always has accepted Pip’s decisions, and never tried to make him change hi mid. All he did was try to Point Pip in the right direction, and Pip decided to go differently. But Joe still loves him, and will never stop. And Joe loved Mrs. Joe, right up until she dies, then he loved and missed her. Joe is very nice, and I feel bad for him. He has lost his wife to death, and practically lost his son to the social classes. But he still ceases to not love them.
    As for hate, Miss Havisham has some there. She wants revenge for what her loved one did to her, and she uses Estella for it. As said before Estella was raised by Miss havisham to punish those that dare love Estella. Miss Havisham enjoys watching and hearing if this. Like I said, she’s a bit crazy now. Pip has hate also. He hates the satis House, and Miss Havisham. He wishes that he had never wanted to become a gentleman, but there’s no going back now. And there’s Magwitch. Abel Magwitch has already gotten his revenge on compeyson for using him as a tool, but Magwitch still hates Compeyson for what happened to him all those years ago.
    We are almost done with this book and I think it will be interesting to see what Fickens dos with all of these mixed emotions between the characters.

• Great job Remy! You really have me thinking why there is so much love, and it seems almost like a painful kind of love in this book from most characters.

• Remy, I like how you went into detail about all of the characters’ relationships, and how you gave your own opinion on all of them. Great response!

23. Chapters 43-46 show us a lot of recurring aspects of the book. One I’d like to focus on though, is the idea of how most people don’t deserve what they get in this book. I assume Dickens was a firm believer in the theory of “Life just isn’t fair.” Clearly, everyone in this book gets something they don’t deserve, whether it be for better or for worse. For starters, we have Joe. Joe has had the worst life in the novel and he is the best person we’ve come across! We all know Joe as such a loving person and that he cares for everyone, so why has his wife died and his only “child” left him thinking he is lower class? Makes you wonder what poor old Joe did to deserve it, doesn’t it? Truth is though, he really doesn’t deserve it. In more recent chapters also, how about Drummle? We know him as a cold hard character who is nothing but rude to his peers. However, of course he is the one to gain Mr. Jaggers’ liking and the love of Estella? Clearly there is a problem in the world of this book, since karma is nonexistent at this point.

24. As we get closer to the end of Great Expectations, there are several recurring themes and instances that have taken my notice. One of these themes is that of guilt and remorse. When Pip gave his speech about always loving Estella at Satis House, Miss Havisham “put her hand to her heart and held it there…” (pg 362) She seemed to be surprised at how real Pip’s feelings of affection were for Estella, and she even seemed almost guilty of how poorly she had made Pip feel, by leading him on. Before that, when Pip had called her out for being mean by leading him on about her being his benefactor and Estella being meant for him, she got very defensive and said that it didn’t matter if she was mean. Now, however, she appears to be changing her mind and feeling guilty for her actions. I wonder why she is suddenly changing her mindset towards Estella breaking Pip’s heart, and why she is now remorseful? Earlier in the novel, we saw Pip being guilty about leaving Joe and Biddy behind, and about being rude towards them just because they were in a different social class than him. This makes me think that Pip may soon go back to the marshes and visit them. Who knows, maybe Biddy is already married, or Joe has turned cold. It’s been so long since Pip has visited home, that any of these things could have happened. It would be ironic and unfortunate if Biddy had indeed married, because Pip has finally come to terms with that fact that he and Estella will never be together, now that she is marrying Drummle. If Biddy hasn’t married, then perhaps her and Pip could finally get the timing right and begin to love each other.

25. So far in the book we see many themes as we come to an end. One major one that pops out to the reader is the theme of affection and heartbreak. This theme is most evident in chapter 44. When Pip expresses his love towards Estella probably for the last time. When Pip went to the Satis house to seek both Estella and Miss Havisham he stayed at the Blue Boar. There he unexpectedly met with Drummle. This is where we see drummle saying “And I don’t dine, because I’m going to dine at the lady’s.”(pg356) This definitely throws off Pip. Also this may show Pip that that Drummle truly is the one meant for Estella. After this Pip went to the satis house and told Estella that he shouldn’t be with Drummle because he is, “ a mean brute.” Pip tries to convince Estella to go with him and not Drummle. He confesses his love and starts crying or getting upset. Estella still tells Pip that she has warned her and that her and Drummle are meant to get married. In this scene I saw Pip as someone who is pathetic. I liked Estella way more than Pip in this scene. Estella has tried and tried to tell Pip she has no heart and that she purposely does not deceive Pip , but Pip can’t understand that. He just kept on trying. After he was done trying his heart was broken once again. In conclusion the theme of affection and heartbreak is relevant.

26. In this book, we see a lot of changes. A definite theme in this book is change. How Pip changed from a poor boy to a gentleman. How Estella is being courted by Drummle, and how Magwitch turned out to be the benefactor, not Miss Havisham, and many more are examples change. Another motif is acceptance. How these characters deal with these changes are part of how they except it. This is one Motif and one Theme of ” Great Expectations”.