Young Havisham’s name was Arthur. Compeyson is the man who professed to be Miss Havisham’s lover.

There have been many revelations in this evening’s reading, especially in chapter 42.  Discuss these new developments and how they might alter our understanding of some of the major themes of the novel, as we have discussed them so far.  Some themes to consider are:

• money
  • appearance v. reality
  • guilt and shame
  • love
  • nature v. nurture

As always, be sure to include many text-based details to support your opinions and follow all the rules of standard written English.   In addition, remember to respond to at least one other comment in this thread.

GE blog #15

40 thoughts on “Young Havisham’s name was Arthur. Compeyson is the man who professed to be Miss Havisham’s lover.

1. Many things were revealed in chapters 40 through 42, and they were surprising! They also change our views on themes. At the beginning, Pip is still fretting about keeping the convict in his room, and keeping his identity secret from everyone else. Pip finds out that the convict’s name is Abel Magwitch, but he went by the name Provis. Also, we find out that Jaggers was really Provis’s defense lawyer, and that he was tried in London. Pip goes to Mr. Jaggers to tell him, but it seems that Mr. Jaggers already knows. “ Don’t tell me anything:I don’t want to know anything …….I saw that he knew the man was come”( pp. 335). He also wants to make sure that the convict was really his benefactor, and it really is. Suddenly, Herbert returns home, and the convict does not seem scared of him, and makes no attempt to hide himself. Herbert recommends that Pip takes Provis’s back to where he came from, but Pip is not to sure. “The first and main thing to be done…is to get him out of England…could I prevent his coming back?”( pgs. 343-344). Pip wants to know what was with the convict and the man he was struggling with on the marshes, when the convict tells his story. The man is Compeyson, who “apprenticed” Provis and taught him all sorts of bad trades, like forgery and others. They were tried together, and Compeyson looked more fresh and formal, and Porvis looked like a downright rag. “ All what a gentleman Compeyson looked…and I was so ..poor”(350). During the trial, they took Compeyson more seriously, because of his clothing. Since then, Provis has vowed to “ smash his face”. Also, Arthur Havisham was Mrs. Havisham’s son, and somehow was killed, which I am really confused about. We learn that Compeyson was supposed to marry Mrs. Havisham, but could not, because he was jailed. Mrs. Havisham was so blinded by love, she did not realize that her lover was a crook.

• Great analysis, Jacky! You put a lot of thought into your writing and backed up your claims well. I also liked the emphasis and feeling that you put in your blog, as it showed your raw thoughts and opinions of the text.

• Arthur Havisham is Miss Haviasham’s brother. The one who hated her. He wasn’t her son. Other than that, great job!

2. Once again, Pip experiences new revelations, which also shows the theme of nature vs nurture. The most prominent one takes place in chapter 42. In that chapter, Pip’s convict, Provis, tells the story of how he became to be a criminal and who the other convict was. Provis was once a poor, ragged, little child. Eventually, he met a wealthy gentleman named Compeyson which he had become acquainted with. Provis was then thrown into the world of Compeyson’s business of swindling and trickery. “Compeyson’s business was the swindling, handwriting, forging, stolen bank-notes passing, and such like.” The next part involves Provis re-enacting a dialogue, which confuses me. I especially am baffled when he says “She’s lifting me up. Keep me down!’ Then he lifted himself up hard, and was dead.” As it was bound to happen eventually, Compeyson and Provis are both charged with a felony. However, Compeyson is treated better, even though they had committed the same crime.”..Here you has afore you, side by side, two persons as your eyes can separate wide; one, the younger, well brought up, who will be spoke to as such; one the elder, ill brought up, who will be spoke to as such.” Even though they had no control over how they were raised, they are still treated differently. It is clear that how you are nurtured, not natured, will decide who you are and how you are treated in the future. I think it’s very unfair that, for no good reason, Provis receives a harsher sentence. Gentlemen are treated better, even though they had done nothing to achieve that status. “And when we’re sentenced, ain’t it him as gets seven year, and me fourteen, and ain’t it him as the Judge is sorry for, because he might a done so well, and ain’t it me as the Judge perceives to be an old offender of wiolent passion, likely to come to worse?”

• I like what you said. The she is lifting me up line refers to Abel re-enacting a hallucination done by Miss Havisham’s brother seeming to be about a woman in a white dress (Maybe Miss Havisham).

3. In tonight’s reading we get a deeper insight into some characters as well as learn about unknown connections. First, the name of Pip’s convict, Abel Magwitch is revealed. We discover about his sad childhood and his life “In jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail.” (page 346). His outward appearance would make him a poster child for convicts yet deep down he is kind, generous, and would do anything to help Pip become a “gentleman.” However, he still holds a grudge against a fellow convict named Compeyson, who is also Miss Havisham’s lover! (I always suspected Miss Havisham to be connected to convicts-why else would Jaggers be at the Satis House?) Compeyson appears to be a wealthy gentleman by the way he dresses and conducts himself but in reality, he is a manipulative thief and is rotten to the core. He committed all sorts of crimes with a man named Arthur who is revealed to be Miss Havisham’s brother. He later commits all sorts of crimes with Magwitch, for money and his own gain. He was greedy beyond words. Sadly when caught, it was Magwitch who got double the sentence because the judge was fooled by Compeyson’s dress and the way he acts. This book keeps drawing me in deeper and leaves me wondering if there will be connections made with other characters like…Estella?

• Great Job, Matt! Your response was well constructed and written. You had a great analysis of the text with appropriate context and explanations. I loved how you kept your response so concise. Keep up the great work!

• I love your response Matt, but keep in mind that Miss Havisham adopted Estella after she was betrayed. Therefore, I find it doubtful that Pip’s convict has ties with Estella. However, in this book, anything is possible, so I won’t rule it out completely!

4. In chapter 42, Pip’s first convict, Abel Magwitch or “Provis”, tells his life story. “But to give it you short and handy, I’ll put it at once into a mouthful of English. In jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail. There, you’ve got it.” (page 346). As a young boy, Provis was an orphan, like Pip. However, nobody wanted him and was kicked out of multiple families. He wasn’t loved. Provis taught himself to read and write, doing everything he needs to do to get by. “Tramping, begging, thieving, working sometimes when I could… a bit of a poacher, a bit of a labourer, a bit of a waggoner, a bit of a haymaker, a but of a hawker, a bit of most things that don’t pay and lead to trouble, I got to be a man” (page 347). Later in his life Provis meets Compeyson. By their meeting, Provis was exposed to swindling and signature-forging. Provis worked for Compeyson, doing all the dirty work for little money. “The time wi’ Compeyson was a’ most as hard a time as ever I had; that said, all’s said” (page 350). Compeyson and Provis were both eventually convicted. However, because Compeyson acted and looked like a gentleman, the jury believed that he deserved another chance. Provis, on the other hand, was poor and common, and the jury decided to give him more jail time. The theme “appearance vs reality” fits with this plot. Although Compeyson looked like a gentleman, he does not deserve a second chance. He had treated Provis unfairly, and in reality, he is the real swindler. Provis is poor, common, and nothing like a gentleman, but he is a good man even though he does bad things. As an orphan, he worked hard to get through the tough times, and put in all his effort to live. Provis deserves to be treated equally.

• Great job! I love how you gave us a tiny summery of what happened and then explained to us how it fit into the motif of appearance vs reality. Overall, keep up the great work!

• I also think that maybe Compeyson influenced Provis’s desire to make Pip a gentleman. He wants people like Pip to be the ones to be given a second chance, not people like Comeyson, who are unkind and people who are convicts.

5. In chapters 40-42 of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, lots of interesting events took place. These events sparked major changes and developments of the plot of this novel. It all begins when Pip hears sounds of a shadowy man on his staircase. Pip finds out that this was his convict and that his name was Abel Magwitch. To keep the servants from learning the truth, Pip decides to call Magwitch “Uncle Provis,” an name Magwitch made up for himself on the ship from Australia to England. Pip arranges a disguise and calls on Jagger’s to confirm Magwitch’s story. Magwitch tramps around the apartment, embarrassing Pip, “his” gentleman, with his bad table manners and rough speech. Later on, Pip is forced to confront his convict, after some discussions with Herbert. They agree that Pip should no longer use Magwitch’s money. This obviously goes with the theme of money and its importance to the story. Pip decides that it’s finally time to leave behind the money that this novel is so revolved around. The next day Provis tells Pip and Herbert his story. He was an orphaned child and lived a life of crime out of necessity. His earliest memory is of stealing turnips to feed himself. As a young man, he met a gentleman criminal named Compeyson and fell under his power. The text states,“Compeyson’s business was the swindling, handwriting, forging, stolen bank-notes passing, and such like.” This shows that Compeyson was none other than a crook. Compeyson had already driven another man ,by the name of, Arthur(Miss Havisham’s half-brother) into alcoholism and madness. Provis continues with his story, saying that when he and Compeyson were caught for a felony. Next, Compeyson betrayed, using his gentleman’s manners to obtain a light sentence at the trial. The text states, “ All what a gentleman Compeyson looked…and I was so poor”(pg. 350) Provis wanted revenge, and Compeyson was the man Pip saw him struggling with that night on the marsh. Provis vowed to get revenge on him, “ smash his face.” While at the trial the theme of nature vs. nurture and and importance of social classes are portrayed. Compeyson and Provis received very different sentences. The way they were born and brought up as well as their ranking in the community greatly differs the sentences. That’s very unfair! In addition, Pip and Herbert figure out that Arthur is the half brother of Miss Havisham and that Compeyson was Miss Havisham’s lover that ditched their wedding. I cannot wait to see the events that will unfold in the following chapters.

• I totally agree with your response. The sentencing was not only unfair, but it is downright wrong. Overall, your response was easy to read, and the ideas you shared were very interesting. You also had great text based details!

• Ajay, wonderful response and great text based details! However, I’m fairly certain that the name “Uncle Provis” wasn’t what the convict was called on the ship. I know that he was called Provis there, but the uncle part wasn’t added until he got to Pip’s. Pip told him that he’d been referring to him as his uncle, so as not to arouse suspicion, and Provis got excited at the idea of himself being Pip’s uncle. Besides that one thing, great work!

6. In chapters 40-42, many identities are revealed, and many new connections between characters are made. First, Herbert comes home from his long business trip, and meets Pip’s convict for the first time. He learns the story behind the convict, and seems to have the same reaction and feeling toward the convict as Pip did. “…I saw my own feelings reflected in Herbert’s face, and, not least among them, my repugnance toward the man who had done so much for me”(Pg. 340). Herbert has the same thoughts toward the convict, and does not like him whatsoever as well. Then, many secrets are revealed about the convict, such as his name and the story of his life. The convict’s name is Abel Magwitch, but he is referred to as Provis in the book. But, the main facts that are revealed are the ones about Magwitch’s life. In the beginning, it is already seen that Magwitch has had a sad and troubled life. He states that he was, “In jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail”(Pg. 346). During Magwitch’s story, the identity of the young man at the marshes is found out to be a man named Compeyson. Compeyson and Magwitch were once partners in crime, but after they conflicted and Magwitch was finessed by Compeyson, they were at each other’s throats. Compeyson seemed like a very friendly and kind person on the outside, but in reality, he was a manipulative man who took advantage of everyone who he had a relationship with. He was always able to persuade anyone who he pleased, and the turning point in their relationship was when, “…and when we were sentenced, ain’t it him as gets seven years, and me fourteen…”(Pg. 351). Many secrets and concealed facts were revealed in these chapters. The name of the convict, the story of the convict, but most importantly, the somewhat insane and unexplainable connections between the characters of the story.

7. Multiple themes were displayed in chapters 40-42, some of which include, money, love, nature vs nurture, appearance vs reality, guilt and shame, and many more. Although, the one particular motif that stood out to me, was appearance vs reality. In chapters 41 and 42 this was revealed multiple times. It started off on page 337 when Pip dresses Provis, Pip’s convict, just so he doesn’t look like his true self as a criminal. On page 337 it said, “I believe too that he dragged one of his legs as if there were still a weight of iron on it, and that from head to foot there was convict in the very grain of the man”, in which showed us that although he dressed himself differently, yet he was still the same man. Subsequent to this quote, in chapter 42, page 351, it appears as if the two men, Compeyson and Provis, were side by side and based on their appearance and their background, they were judged on their sentence. Although life isn’t always fair, in my eyes this was just wrong and they should’ve looked deeper into the crime.When thinking of appearance vs reality, it is my instinct to think about not judging a book by it’s cover. Anyways, Provis proceeded to tell his story in the basis of appearance vs reality being a recurring motif in life. All in all, appearance vs reality seemed to be a big part of chapters 40-42 and can be called a motif.

8. After reading chapters 38-39 we find out who Pip’s benefactor is. In a surprising twist we come to realise that Pip’s benefactor is his convict. On page 319 Pip’s convict says,”Yes, Pip, dear boy, I have made a gentleman on you! It’s me wot has done it! I swore that time, sure as ever I earned guinea, that guinea should go to you.” This knowledge imparts a huge change upon Pip. Pip, in an instant, goes from being relatively happy with his fortune to being extremely shamed. “But, sharpest and deepest pain of all – it was for the convict, guilty of I knew not what crimes, and liable to be taken out of those rooms where I sat thinking, and hanged at the Old Bailey door, that I had deserted Joe (Page 323).” When Pip chose to become a gentleman and leave Joe he made a choice. It is now when he realises what his choice truly means that he realizes what he has done to Joe. When he now knows that his benefactor is not Miss Havisham another person he thinks about is Estella. If Miss Havisham and Estella aren’t related to him becoming a gentleman what does this say about his relationship with Estella. “Miss Havisham’s intention’s toward me, all a mere dream: (however worst) Estella not designed for me (Page 323).” Pip’s love isn’t actually his. With all this new information Pip actually is taken from from his relatively safe position and now, ”All the truth of my position came flashing on me: and its disappointments, dangers,disgraces, consequences of all kind, rushed in in such a multitude that I was borne down by them and had to struggle for every breath I drew ( Page 319).” Pip has been chucked into this huge mess and now it is up to him to get out of it and undo his mistakes of his past.

9. There were many huge revelations in chapter 42. Most importantly, the man who used to be Mageoych’s lietral partner in crime, Compeyson, was Miss Havisham’s lover. Compeyson former partner in crime befor Abel was a man called Arthur. Arthur is Miss Havisham’s brother. The theme of appearances vs reality heavily effects Compeyson and Magwitch’s relationship. Since Compeyson appears to be some kind of gentelman or nobleman, the courts believed he was innocent. Thus, all the blame was put into Magwitch. Magwitch wasn’t as presentable or high class as Compeyson, so the judges let Compeyson off the hook. Which is extremely unfair, since Compeyson was much more of a criminal mastermind than Magwitch ever was. Compeyson was a man fueled by greed and was very avaricious. Whereas Magwitch was kind of just trying to get by in the way he knew how.The theme of shame also plays a role in the chapters we read tonight. Pip is ashamed of Abel, he’s repulsed by him and the idea that he owes everything he has to him. He’s so ashamed of him, he and Herbert are plotting to get him out of London. I hope Pip reflects on how unfairly he treated Magwitch considering everything he gave him. Pip really ought to be more careful considering the lengths Magwitch went to, to give Pip a privileged and good life.

10. In chapter 42 many things are revealed, and we dive deeper into the theme of appearance vs. reality. First of all we learn that Pip’s convict’s name is Abel Magwitch, but he goes by the name Provis. This reminds me of Pip going by the name Handel. Secondly, we learn about Provis’ past. He was “In jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail” (Pg. 346). As a child Provis was an orphan. He had many jobs to live, but once he met Compeyson he fell into a life of crime. We learn that Provis’ fellow convict Compeyson was Miss Havisham’s lover. Provis hates Compeyson because when they were being tried, Compeyson looked formal and like a gentleman and Provis looked ragged and unkempt. The judge was fooled by Compeyson’s appearance and gave him half the amount of jail time as Provis, when really his was worse than Provis. We also see appearance vs. reality when Provis meets Herbert.

11. In chapters 40-42, Pip and Herbert find out a lot of things about Pip’s convict, Provis. They learn that he has been “In jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail.”(346) Provis tells them that he was an orphan and stole to survive. “This is the way it was, that when I was a ragged little creetur as much to be pitied as ever I see, I got the name of being hardened…May be said to live in jails, this boy…Tramping, begging, thieving, working sometimes when I could – though that warn’t as often as you may think…”(346-347) Pip also finds out that Compeyson was Miss Havisham’s fiancé, and Arthur was her brother. In these two chapters, we see the theme of appearance vs. reality. During Provis and Compeyson’s trial, Provis got a harsher and longer punishment than Compeyson. This was because Compeyson looked like a gentleman. He was finely dressed, was very educated and had lots of money. Provis, on the other hand, was dressed in dirty, worn-out clothes, taught himself reading and writing, and was poor. The judges, according to Provis, gave his partner a shorter sentence because he appeared to be a wealthy, rich, gentleman. Although they committed the same crime, Provis’ looks got him a longer sentence in jail. When he and Compeyson first met, Compeyson said to him, “‘To judge from appearances, you’re out of luck’”(347) It’s very unfair that back then the higher class people had it off easier then the lower class ones just because of their looks. This ties back to the motif on status, and how important it was back then. Status is what drove Pip to try to become a gentleman, after all. It was Estella’s status that made him think that he wasn’t good enough for her. Pip now doesn’t know what to do; either he should put up with Provis or send him away from London and make sure that he never comes back.

12. Tonight in our reading, we definitely got a lot more insight to the connections between everyone in the novel. One thing that was revealed was the name of Pip’s convict which is Abel Magwitch. Pip had to let him stay at the Temple with him for a little while because he had nowhere to go. While he was there, a common theme came up. The theme we can detect from this point in the story is money and importance. While Abel was there, Pip would comment on his every move including, his eating habits, what he wore, the kind of person he was and what he looked like. Pip tried to change anything he could about Abel. He even went out with him and got him new clothes to try. This is the same kind of thing Pip did with Joe. Pip tried to teach Joe because Pip didn’t see him as good enough to be around him. Joe had given him so much and he couldn’t see past the material things. Now, Abel has done the same type of thing for Pip and he hasn’t even said thank you, he’s just pushed him to try to blend into a world that he doesn’t fit into and never will. This shows how Pip was never really thankful for the things or love that he received unless it came from what he felt counted as a worthy person. It would be one thing if Pip only didn’t want him around because of the dangers, but that’s not it. Pip is ashamed of Abel because he doesn’t have the look of money and the important image that Pip has built for himself. This is also just like when Pip was ashamed of his home because it was common. Pip has a fear of not being important enough and not looking as though he’s uncommon and has many. With this theme coming up again in the story, we can see that although Pip has grown up, he hasn’t grown in the way that we maybe would’ve hoped for him. Maybe he’ll realize that he shouldn’t push Abel away the same way he did with Joe and he’ll fix it.

13. In chapters 40-42, the reader learns a lot about Pip’s convict. Pip’s convict’s real name is Abel Magwitch, but he is going by Provis to avoid suspicion. Pip finally gets Magwitch to tell him his life story, which demonstrates multiple themes. His life story shows money, appearance v. reality, and nature v. nurture. Magwitch’s life story is basically “In jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail,” (346). He was an orphaned child who was actually taken in by several families. However, each time, he was kicked out. Often times Magwitch, having no home or money, would steal for food. Eventually, he got into the wrong business with a bad man. His name was Compeyson. Compeyson was wealthy and brought up very well. He was very gentleman-like, and a really smooth talker. Compeyson and Magwitch would become partners in crime. However, Compeyson would most of the time make Magwitch do all the dirty work. “Compeyson’s business was the swindling, handwriting, forging, stolen bank-notes passing, and such like,” (348). Compeyson had also had another partner by the name of Arthur. It turns out that a few years back, he and Compeyson swindled a rich lady out of a lot of money. Ever since Arthur has been very sick and having lots of hallucinations. He dies a little later on. Anyway, Magwitch and Compeyson are tried together in court after they committed a crime. The judges are saying that Magwitch must have been the “leader” of the two, because he had no education ad looked absolutely disgusting and poor, and that Compeyson wasn’t nearly as responsible for their crimes. Naturally, Compeyson goes with this statement. “ ‘My Lord and gentlemen, here you has afore you, side by side, two persons as your eyes can separate wide; one, the younger, well brought up, who will be spoke to as such; one, the elder, ill brought up, and will be spoken to as such; one, the younger, seldom if ever seen here in these transactions, and only suspected; t’other, the elder, always seen in ‘em and always wi’ his guilt brought home. Can you doubt, if there is but one in it, which is the one, and, if there’s two in it, which is much the worst one?’ ” (351). This shows nature v. nurture and money. Compeyson was brought up better, so he is judged better than Magwitch, who was an orphan. Compeyson is richer than Magwitch, so he is judged better. They are making their verdict based off of these biases. Compeyson is really the worse one of the two, since Magwitch was tricked into doing more of the dirty work. This demonstrates the appearance v. reality aspect of the themes. Magwitch is being treated unfairly because of what he looks like, his upbringing, and his wealth, all of which is awful. To summarize, Magwitch’s past clearly demonstrates appearance v. reality, nature v. nurture, and money. Also, I really hope that Compeyson is still alive. If he is, then Dickens can create so much with that, and so I am really looking forward to it. Plus, if he doesn’t, it’ll just be plain disappointing. Also, does anyone have any idea who was lurking in the staircase? It was really weird. (Leave your answers/comments if you have any in the reply below please. Thank you.)

14. There are many revelations and themes in chapters 40-42. Something I noticed was the way Provis would talk to Pip about how he is so proud of Pip. “All I stip’late, is, to stand by and look at you, dear boy!” (Page 331) This made me think of the love a parent would have for their child, because a lot of what Provis says is how proud he is of Pip, and what a fine gentleman he is. “Yet I am afraid the dreadful truth is, Herbert, that he is attached to me. Was there ever such a fate?” Pip is obviously bewildered by how clingy his convict is to him, and how he wants clothes, and would live with them. So although Provis appears to be generous, he really might just be looking for Pip to give him a gift, such as rooming, and clothing. And on top of that, Pip is hiding a convict. But in chapter 42, we learn the bizarre connections betweens these characters and Miss Havisham. Appearance vs. Reality comes into play here when Provis was given a longer sentence because he was poor, and Compeyson was given another chance because he appeared more groomed. And in general, the novel appears to throw silly characters at the reader, but in reality, they all have a strange connection to each other, with Pip being at the core of all of the madness.

• Nice job Ashley. I loved reading your take on the chapters, and the theme you tied to it. Magwitch trying to be a father figure to Pip and loving him is a great theme, and also kind of reminds me of how Joe tried to be when Pip was pushing him away. Great Response!

15. Chapters 40-42 explain tie up quite a few loose ends for us. Starting off with the most important part, we finally learn the convict’s name! His name is Magwitch, and boy do we learn a lot about him. Magwitch was in prison because he was accused of counterfeiting money with his partner, Compeyson. However, since Compeyson talked and dressed like a gentleman, though he wasn’t, he got half the sentence Magwitch got. This points out that money is definitely a theme that is screaming in every chapter of this book. We know this because money counterfeiting is what let Pip’s convict earn a place in prison. Also, everything that Pip has gone through has been about money. All the difference between Pip’s old life and his new life is the amount of money they he has. Otherwise, he’d be the same person who we loved in the beginning of the book, not somebody who is snobbish and doesn’t appreciate his family. I wish that money and social class weren’t so important to Pip and that he really had his priorities in check.

• I like your comment! It was as if you were having a conversation with friend, talking about these bizarre things so casually.

• Matthew, your blog was great. Pip has only changed because of the money. Without it, Pip would be a totally different person. These chapters are a great example for the theme: money.

16. “To judge from appearances, you’re out of luck.”(p. 347)
    In the chapters 40-42, they show a theme of appearance v. reality. Provis is not only being judged by his words, but also by his appearance. When he revealed himself, Pip despised and was disgusted by him, even after everything he went through for Pip. He had expected Miss Havisham was his benefactor, to set him up with Estella to have his heart broken. He seemed dissapointed that it was him who gave him the money. He may have felt that way because of his appearance as a criminal, and was “miserably poor.”(p. 350) Then, when Compeyson and Provis was put on trial, Compeyson was more favored because of appearance. Compeyson was a young gentleman on first offense, while Provis was an old criminal with several offenses. “And when we’re sentenced, ain’t it him as gets seven year, and me fourteen, and ain’t it him as the Judge is sorry for, because he might a done so well, and ain’t it me as the Judge perceives to be a old offender of wiolent passion, likely to come to worse?” (p. 351) These chapter had shown a big amount of appearance v. reality, and I hope that someday, Provis would be forgiven.

17. In chapters 40, 41, and 42, the reader learns many new things about the convict. There is a huge revelation in chapter 42. The chapter relates to Nature vs. Nurture theme. This Pip’s convict’s real name is actually Abel Magwitch. He is an orphan just like Pip. “I’ve no more notion where I was born than you have—if so much.” (pp. 346). Abel says that he does not even know who his family was. Abel had to do whatever it took to survive. “‘Tramping, begging, thieving, working sometimes when I could,—though that warn’t as often as you may think, till you put the question whether you would ha’ been over-ready to give me work yourselves,—a bit of a poacher, a bit of a laborer, a bit of a wagoner, a bit of a haymaker, a bit of a hawker, a bit of most things that don’t pay and lead to trouble, I got to be a man.” (pp. 347). Abel had to work and steal from a young age to survive. Because he was an orphan, he could not be raised by a family and lived a normal life. Also, he describes his entire life as “In jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail. There, you’ve got it. That’s my life pretty much.” (pp. 346). His whole life was in a prison. He did not have a normal life. At an Epsom race, he meets his partner in crime, Compeyson. He is the same convict that used Abel. ““By my boy, I was giv to understand as Compeyson was out on them marshes too. Upon my soul, I half believe he escaped in his terror, to get quit of me, not knowing it was me as had got ashore. I hunted him down. I smashed his face. ‘And now,’ says I ‘as the worst thing I can do, caring nothing for myself, I’ll drag you back.’ And I’d have swum off, towing him by the hair, if it had come to that, and I’d a got him aboard without the soldiers.” (pp. 352). Compeyson was a manipulative person. He looked like a good person on the outside, but he was monstrous in the inside. He only wanted to gain even if it meant that others would suffer. This is why Abel is so angry with Compeyson. Because of him, Abel went to jail several times, and at one point was sentenced to life. Soon after the reader learns of the cruelty of Compeyson, Abel says that a man named Arthur was involved with Compeyson’s acts of crime. At the end of Abel’s quick life story, Herbert comes to the conclusion that “‘Young Havisham’s name was Arthur. Compeyson is the man who professed to be Miss Havisham’s lover.'” Arthur and Compeyson were the two people that stole Miss Havisham’s money! Arthur was the younger step-brother and Compeyson was Miss Havisham’s fiancée. If Abel was raised by a family his whole childhood, maybe he would not have committed crimes nor would he be stuck with people like Compeyson. Nature vs. Nurture play a major role in the story as it is one of the most important themes.

18. Chapters 40-42 reveal new insight on characters and develop many themes. One theme I would like to focus on is appearance vs reality. We find out the convict’s name is Magwitch, and he wants to be with Pip for ever with all his earnings. This behavior is very different than a convict would appear. However, Mr. Jaggars tells Pip the truth, “I cautioned him that I must hear no more of that….and that he presented himself in this country would be an act of felony, rendering him liable to the extreme penalty of the law.” In reality, Magwitch is still a convict and shouldn’t return to England. Herbert however feels bad for Magwitch and feels Pip should leave England with him. Magwitch also lets the readers in on his life. He says, “Dear boy and Pip’s comrade. I am not going to tell you my life like a song or a storybook. But to give you it short and handy, I’ll put it at once into a mouthfull of English. In Jail out of jail, in jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail. There, you got it. That’s my life pretty much…” This new insight on the convict can give us a new insight on the theme appearance vs reality. People like Jaggars may see Magwitch appear like a trouble to the law, and a horrible person. In reality, Magwitch probably had many problems all through his life, and is always miserable in jail. He always finds himself in these situations. I am excited to see what else is in store and what will happen with Magwitch.

19. There was lots of information in chapters 40-42. And we learned many new things, some of them expected, some of them most unexpected. First we find out that Pip’s convict’s name is Abel Magwitch, he used Provis as a name to keep his identity secret. (I think it’s an interesting name don’t you Haley?). Pip goes to Mt. Jaggers, to seek the truth, but it seems that Mr. Jaggers knows that Abel is here, and doesn’t want to take part in it, ““ Don’t tell me anything:I don’t want to know anything…I saw that he knew the man was come,” (pg. 335) Mr. Jaggers ends up talking to Pip about it anyway and we learn that indeed it is all true. Able was the only one to take part in making Pip a gentleman, and Miss Havisham had nothing to do with it. We also learn that Mr Jaggers was indeed Abel’s defence lawyer, and that Abel was more recently tried in London. Abel was not a rich man and he had to steal just to eat. He lived in the streets with someone else, and that someone else had left him alone and cold, “ I first become aware of myself down in Essex, a thieving turnips for my living. Summun had run away from me—a man—a tinker—and he’d took the fire with him, and left me wery cold,” (pg. 346). From here Abel goes on to explain his entire life, he explained how all he was trying to do was to get a pay and stay out of trouble, but just couldn’t stay out of jail, “…May be said to live in jails, this boy,” (pg. 346). He goes on and on, but I want to focus on this one part. We as a class were right to assume that the convict, Abel, had something to do with Miss Havisham. But we were not correct to assume that he was to be married to Miss Havisham. Instead it was Compeyson, the man that Abel somehow became to work with. Compeyson and Arthur had done this to Miss Havisham a while back, so Abel was not tried for it, but Arthur died because of fear of it. Compeyson and Abel had gotten caught and tried for putting stolen money into the system, and Compeyson, being the gentleman, smart mouth, wealthy man he is was not punished as hard as Abel. After they had been tried and both were found guilty, but Abel getting the worse punishment, Abel made the promise that he would kill Compeyson, and that he hopes he did. You see, the other convict that Pip’s convict had beaten up and turned in with himself back to the soldiers, was compeyson. And that is why he had said that the man had used him. And that is why he had gotten his revenge on the man. “Is he dead?’ I asked, after a silence.
    ‘Is who dead, dear boy?’
    ‘Compeyson.’
    ‘He hopes I am, if he’s alive, you may be sure,’ with a fierce look. ‘I never heerd no more of him.” (pg.352).

20. In the chapters 40-42 we get an insight on how most of the characters in the book are connected. Firstly Pips convict who was hiding in his apartment was actually a man named abel Magwitch, who goes by the name Provis. We find out that Provis was tried in London and Mr. Jaggers was his defense attorney. Also Mr Jaggers somehow knew that Provis was hiding at Pip’s apartment. Don’t tell me anything… I saw that he knew the man was come”( pp. 335). Furthermore this explains how Provis became Pip’s benefactor. Later in the chapter we find out the identity of the convict he fought in the marshes when Pip was a child. The mans name was Compeyson. Provis was taught under Compeyson and became a criminal by him. Compeyson was a gentleman before he was tried. Also we find out that Compeyson was Miss Havisham’s lover. That is when Arthur Havisham is revealed as Miss Havisham’s half brother. He was also Compeyson’s partner in crime until he died. “And when we’re sentenced, ain’t it him as gets seven year, and me fourteen, and ain’t it him as the Judge is sorry for, because he might a done so well, and ain’t it me as the Judge perceives to be an old offender of wiolent passion, likely to come to worse?” The only reason
    Compeyson did not get the same amount of time to serve was because he was a gentleman. He had gentleman’s clothes and talked like a wealthy man. Provis however was poor and the Judge didn’t care much for what he had to say. Here we can see how unfair the justice system was and that upper class people got off easier than lower class people. This is also the reason why Provis resents Compeyson so much. As he said he wanted to “ smash his face”. Compeyson may have seemed as a nice man on the outside but he he was very manipulative and greedy on the inside. In conclusion many characters stories and connections were introduced

21. We discover some important things in chapters 40-42, but mainly that Provis is connected to Miss Havisham indirectly. Throughout the chapters, the theme of social class and appearances came up often, especially when Provis was telling Pip and Herbert his life story. His life started off on a bad foot, because he was forced to resort to stealing and fraudery so that he could survive. At one point, he got caught up with a gentleman named Compeyson, (we later found out that he was Miss Havisham’s proclaimed lover and fiancee!) who turned out to be a criminal as well, though on a much more upscale level. Even though Compeyson was a criminal and obviously the one to blame, when him and Provis were tried in front of a jury for their crimes, Compeyson was let off easy, and Provis got the brunt of the sentence. The jury’s reasoning was unfairly based on Compeyson’s and Provis’ appearances. The latter was younger, better looking, better dressed, and a smooth talker, unlike Provis, who just had a convict-look about him. After the hearing, Provis was angry, and rightfully so. It wasn’t his fault that he wasn’t brought up as well as Compeyson, and yet he was the one getting the 14 year sentence compared to Compeyson’s 7 year sentence. “‘And when we’re sentenced, ain’t it him as gets 7 year, and me fourteen, and ain’t it him as the Judge is sorry for, because he might a done so well, and ain’t it me as the Judge perceives to be a old offender of wiolent passion, likely to come to worse?’” (pg. 351) All of this ties back to the theme of appearance and social class, because Provis now has to live his life in fear and suspicion, all because he was the one seen as the real criminal. Much like when Pip was trying to make Joe less “common,” he is now trying to mask the convict side of Provis with a disguise, though that side seems to show through too much anyway. To conclude, I think that Provis has reason to be so angry, and I hope that we see more of Compeyson and his ties to Miss Havisham later on.

22. In chapters 40-42, there are important revelations to the background of both the convict and perhaps Miss Havisham, which both before were thickly covered in a mist of mystery. Starting, most importantly, with the convict, he tells us his name is Abel Magwitch. He tells us that he, at one point, was a small, poor boy, similarly to Pip. He was one day approached by a rich man named Compeyson, who offered him to come work for him for good pay. Little did young Abel know, Compeyson was a rich man with a horrible hobby of villainous crimes of all sorts, into which Abel was dragged in without knowing so much as which way was up. It is revealed that compeyson was engaged to a rich, crazy woman wearing all white. This seem pretty accurate to Miss Hvisham, as we know she had a fiance who stole from her, and she wore all white wedding attire. He kept stealing from her and betting away every last penny, and then went back for more, with the help of Abel. Eventually, and inevitably, they are caught. Compeyson. Although it was hard to understand, i was able to understand that they were both tried, convicted, and sentenced to jail. Abel was so resourceful and skilled (somehow) that he was able to escape the prison ship. And little did he know, though, Compeyson followed him and took advantage to escape by Abel’s efforts. Abel was so infuriated when Pip tells him another person escaped, he said he was willing to swim Compeyson by his hair back to the ship himself, completely accepting that he was going to get caught.

23. In chapters 40-42 we find out about the real history about Abel Magwitch. He was pulled in and manipulated by a horrible man by the name of Compeyson. Compeyson was rich, and engaged to Miss Havisham. Abel was poor, and desperate, so he started to work for Compeyson. Compeyson got them into all kinds of trouble for his villainous acts. So they were caught, and were both convicted. Magwitch escaped from the prison ship, and worked very hard to make Pip a gentleman. This just shows how much money can influence and change one’s life.