“As I had grown accustomed to my expectations, I had insensibly begun to notice their effect upon myself and those around me. Their influence on my own character I disguised from my recognition as much as possible, but I knew very well that it was not all good.”

Discuss the theme of guilt and shame in Chapters 34-37, and indeed throughout the novel so far.  As always be sure to use specific details from the text to support your opinions.  Also, don’t forget to respond to at least one other comment in this thread.

GE blog #13

43 thoughts on ““As I had grown accustomed to my expectations, I had insensibly begun to notice their effect upon myself and those around me. Their influence on my own character I disguised from my recognition as much as possible, but I knew very well that it was not all good.”

1. Throughout chapters 34-37, the readers gets a little nostalgic as Pip returns to the forge, turns twenty-one, and has to deal with his own money affairs. “As we got more and more into debt, breakfast became hollower and hollower form…” (page 275) This quote reminds me of when Pip was young and common, with tiny meals he shared amongst himself, and Mr. and Mrs. Gargery. And when Mrs. Gargery dies, Pip comes home to the funeral to see Joe and Biddy. “I noticed that after the funeral Joe changed his clothes so far, as to make a compromise between his Sunday dress and working dress: in which the dear fellow looked natural, just like the Man he is.” (page 282) This quote goes back to the idea that Joe doesn’t feel like himself, or feel comfortable in fancy clothes. He truly prefers his natural, working clothes. And when Pip tries to talk to Biddy, she calls him only “Mr. Pip”, and she was unkind to him, but she had a good reason to be. At the end of chapter 35, Pip tells Biddy, “‘Biddy,” said I, when I gave her my hand at parting, “I am not angry, but I am hurt.'” (page 285) Pip feels that Biddy is treating him with a bad human nature. However, Pip asked Joe if he could sleep in his old little bedroom, and Pip says, “He was very pleased by my asking if I might sleep in my own little room, and I was rather pleased too; for I felt that I had done a rather great thing in making the request.” (page 282) I think that Pip’s money affair, and Biddy being upset at him, is all full circle and like karma for him being so negligent of his family. I also think that just because Pip asked to sleep in his old room, it doesn’t make up for all the time he wasted not writing to his family or visiting.

2. In chapters 34 to 37, Pip experiences a lot of guilt and shame. He feels like he should’ve never mistreated Joe, or seen Mrs. Havisham and Estella. He feels like he should have never left home, just stayed there and lived his regular life. His expectations have greatly affected him and the attitude he has toward the people around him. “ I lived in a state of chronic uneasiness respecting my behaviour to Joe…happier and better if I had never seen Mrs. Havisham’s face…content to be partners with Joe.”( pp. 272). He now regrets his earlier actions and thoughts. His actions also greatly affect Herbert. He has caused Herbert many expenses because of his actions, and Herbert cannot pay off all of them. Thus, he is in debt. In other words, he somewhat has ruined Herbert’s life. “My lavish habits led his easy nature into expenses he could not afford, corrupted the simplicity of his life, and disturbed his peace with anxieties and regrets”( pp. 272). Before, Herbert was this easy going person with a great personality, but now his life has been interrupted by Pip’s foolishness. Later, Pip goes to ask Mr. Jaggers for money to repay his debts. Mr. Jaggers does give him money, but tells him he can only take money from Wemmick once every quarter. “That is to say, you will now take your money affairs entirely into your own hands, and you will draw from Wemmick one hundred and twenty five pounds per quarter”( pp. 288). What is a quarter? Anyway, Mrs. Joe also dies, and Pip is asked to attend the funeral. There, he sees Biddy and Joe again. Biddy now is going with Mrs. Hubble to live, and to become a mistress in the new school. Pip tries to offer her some money, but she refuses. He tells Wemmick about it. “ I am very desirous to serve a friend”( pp. 290). Throughout these chapters, Pip experiences a lot of shame, guilt, and regret.

• Nice job Jacky. You did a great job examining the chapters. To answer your question, I think a “each quarter” means every 3 months. Mr. Jaggers said that he would receive 500 pound each year. 3 x 4 = 12. 4 x 125 = 500.

3. ***The theme of guilt and shame is evident in not only chapters 34-37, but throughout the whole story. As Pip moves along in his great expectations, he feels guilty that he has not helped anyone at all, but only hurt people. In the beginning, Pip travels back to his old home after receiving news that his foster mother has passed away. There, he again talks to Biddy, and she acts differently than she had before Pip got his fortune. He had hurt her greatly, and it showed. “Biddy, I am not angry, but I am hurt. – No, don’t be hurt, let only me be hurt, if I have been ungenerous.” Afterwards, he gets the feeling that Biddy was right. Pip’s conscience makes him feel ashamed of what he’d done to her. Next, after Pip has dinner with Herbert and Mr. Jaggers, he feels intensely sorrowful, and he sees that Herbert does too. “..Herbert said of himself, with his eyes fixed on the fire, that he thought he must have committed a felony and forgotten the details of it, he felt so dejected and guilty.” What strikes me about this quote is that, at the end, Pip directly says he feels dejected and guilty. How would he actually know this? I think Pip is relating Herbert’s mood to himself, in that he also feels unhappy and guilt-ridden. Pip is ashamed when he realizes that he has done no good. He seeks to do some good deed, lending some money to Herbert to go him an opportunity. He cries to see that he his great expectations has had some benefit on someone. “I did really cry in good earnest when I went to bed, to think that my expectations had done some good to somebody.”***

4. When Mr. Jaggers tells Pip to handle his own money, I think this is all part of when Mr. Jaggers said that Pip was going to mess up, but it was not his fault. Pip messed up by bringing himself and Herbert into debt, but Mr. Jaggers does not seem to care, or pity Pip. He probably does not want Pip taking his money anymore. He’s like, don’t blame me! I warned ya! I’m not dealing with your problems anymore!

5. In chapters 34-37 of Great Expectations, Dickens’ portrays a theme of guilt and shame. Pip feels terribly guilty for his snobbish treatment of Joe and Biddy, and he feels as though his new lifestyle has been a bad influence on Herbert. His newfound wealth and fortunes have not only impacted him but others as well. His great expectations don’t appear to be great for anyone besides him. The text states, “I lived in a state of chronic uneasiness respecting my behavior to Joe…happier and better if I had never seen Mrs. Havisham’s face…content to be partners with Joe.”(pg. 272). This shows that Pip is starting to regret his post- Miss Havisham life, and feels as if his life would be better if he had never seen Miss Havisham and if he was working with Joe at the forge. Pip also has greatly affected Herbert, whom he considers his best friend. Pip is acting like a London playboy, spending money he hasn’t even earned yet. Pip has seemingly brought Herbert into this spending, meanwhile, both of their debts are piling high. The text states, ““My lavish habits led his easy nature into expenses he could not afford, corrupted the simplicity of his life, and disturbed his peace with anxieties and regrets”(pg. 272). This shows that Pip has influenced the lifestyle of Herbert, who isn’t as privileged as him. Pip seemed to forget that Herbert isn’t anywhere as fortunate as him. After this, he finds out that Mrs. Joe has passed away, and he was invited to the funeral. Once he arrives at the funeral, he somewhat feels a sense of sorrow and rekindles his relationship with Biddy. He asks her some important questions before offering her money, that she quickly rejects. Pip attempts to do good with his money, but his offerings are not accepted. He then proceeds to repay Herbert for the debts that he caused. I extremely admire this kind action from Pip. As you can see, chapters 34-37 of Great Expectation clearly shows a theme of guilt and shame.

• I love your response! As I was reading, I also thought of Pip wanting to not have met Miss Havisham in the first place. Great Job!

6. One of the events that occurred during these four chapters is Mrs. Joe Gargery, Pip’s sister and “mother figure’s” death. Pip is experiencing his first death as a grown-up, and can’t stop thinking of Mrs. Joe. “The figure of my sister in her chair by the kitchen fire, haunted me night and day” (page 278). Even though Mrs. Joe wasn’t the kindest to Pip, Pip is upset, and feels guilt for not being able to visit his sister before she died. Because he feels guilt, Pip feels the need to avenge her death. Pip believes that Orlick is responsible, and is willing to hunt him down. Pip talks to Biddy about his thoughts. “‘Nothing was ever discovered, Biddy?’ ‘Nothing.’ ‘ Do you know what is become of Orlick?’ ‘I should think from the color of his clothes that he is working in the quarries.’ ‘Of course you have seen him then? – Why are you looking at that dark tree in the lane?’ ‘I saw him there, on the night she died.’ ‘That was not the last time either, Biddy?’ ‘No; I have seen him there, since we have been walking here – It is of no use,’…. ‘You know I would not deceive you; he was not there a minute, and he is gone.’” (page 283-284). Pip feels guilty for not being able to spend more time with his sister, and feels the need to find out what happened to her and avenge her death.

• Great response, Ellie! I love how you incorporated great details from the text. I missed that part about Orlick, so I also thank you for bringing that back and helping me remember it.

7. In tonight’s reading the themes of shame and guilt are depicted. At the beginning of chapter 34 Pip recognizes how snobbish, rude, and self centered he was becoming. He admits that he treated Joe and Biddy inappropriately. He stated “I lived in a state of chronic uneasiness respecting my behaviour to Joe. My conscience was not by any means comfortable about Biddy.” (page 272). Clearly Pip treated them wrongly and regrets doing so. Pip is also shameful for the debt he has brought Herbert. His drive to be a “gentleman” and lavish tastes are wreaking havoc on poor Herbert. “My lavish habits led his easy nature into expenses that he could not afford, corrupting the simplicity of his life, and disturbed his peace with anxiety and regrets.” (page 272). Pip has a negative influence on his friend and is dragging him into a hole and Pip knows this. As if these two incidents were not enough, the death of Mrs. Joe tops them all. (I was sad when I read the news of her death.) Pip was guilt ridden when he heard of her passing. Prior to leaving London, he is reminded of his bad behavior and poor treatment toward his sister before her death. “The figure of my sister in her chair by the kitchen fire haunted me night and day. That the place could possibly be, without her, was something my mind seemed unable to compass.” (page 278).His guilt and shame are causing him to be haunted by his sister. Furthermore, he is dealing with the fact that that he went to see Miss Havisham’s residence instead of visiting his own family and now the chance to see his sister is no more. The guilt must have been so bad that the scoldings and the tickler beatings which he hated so much seemed softer with the memory of his sister. To me, the fact that Pip was was thinking of others and realizing that his actions affected others was a sign of maturity. My hope is that with further maturity Pip will learn that home, friends, and family are the true riches anyone, including “gentlemen,” really need in life.

• Great job! I love how you put in that family is the true treasure anyone could have in life! Keep it up! 🙂

8. In chapters 34-37, Pip realizes that he was becoming very self-centered, and didn’t respect the people who helped him grow up enough. He had pushed away people such as Joe and Biddy, and he only notices that he had been treating them badly after he gets the news that his sister had passed away. “I lived in a state of chronic uneasiness respecting my behaviour to Joe. My conscience was not by any means comfortable about Biddy”(Pg. 272). In this statement, Pip is recognizing that he was not happy with his actions toward Joe and Biddy, and was not comfortable about his current relationship with the two of them. Pip is also guilty for coming into Herbert’s life, and basically becoming a burden and a liability for Herbert to deal with. “My lavish habits led his easy nature into expenses that he could not afford, corrupting the simplicity of his life, and disturbed his peace with anxiety and regrets”(Pg. 272). Pip states that he had ruined Herbert’s peaceful and smooth life, and his drive to become a gentleman led him to mess up someone else’s simple and worry-free lifestyle. Pip was so focused on becoming a gentleman and impressing Estella in the past chapters, but is now realizing how bad of a person he had been to some of the people who had cared for him most.

9. Pip feels a lot of guilt and shame throughout the whole novel, including chapters 34-37. In chapter 34, Pip regrets ever wanting to become a gentleman. “When I woke up in the night – like Camilla – I used to think, with a weariness on my spirits, that I should have been happier and better if I had never seen Miss Havisham’s face, and had risen to my manhood to be partners with in the honest old forge. Many a time of an evening, when I sat alone at the fire, I thought, after all there was no fire like the forge fire and the kitchen fire at home.”(272) Pip feels guilty for neglecting Joe and Biddy by not visiting them often. Pip is looking back on how he yearned to be un-common, and is feeling regretful that he ever had those thoughts. He feels ashamed that he abandoned Joe and his sister and Biddy to go live a life in London. Pip feels that it’s not fair that he has money and suits, while they have almost nothing. Pip really doesn’t like it when Biddy calls him Mr. Pip. Every time she says it, it reminds him that his class is higher than theirs, when it shouldn’t be. Pip should have had a life in the forge with Joe and Biddy, not pretending to be some gentleman who has lots of money and has a higher status then the rest of his family.

• I agree with what you said. I especially like at the end how you wrote,”Pip should have had a life in the forge with Joe and Biddy, not pretending to be some gentleman who has lots of money and has a higher status then the rest of his family.” In that sections you explain what could have happened and what could have improved Pip’s life drastically.

10. After reading chapters 34-37 we see lots of evidence of guilt and shame throughout the story. My favorite example of this and a place I want to delve deeper is when Mrs Joe Gargery sadly dies and Pip stays at Joe’s house with Biddy. After the sad funeral of Mrs Joe Pip stays with Mr Joe. While staying with Joe Pip repeatedly shames Biddy by saying,”This is a bad side of human nature ( Page 284)!” when Biddy is only trying to help. He attempts to act mature by saying things such as,”I am not angry, but I am hurt (Page 285).” When Pip says this it is to a kind and sweet Biddy asking for his forgiveness of crimes she isn’t guilty of. While Pip is trying to act worthy of his expectations he is falling very short and only succeeding in shaming himself. Pip feels above everyone and then from that vantage point corrects others while he himself has is guilty of those same faults. Pip might be trying to help Biddy by saying she has a dark side but this is only unconstructed criticism. When Pip and Biddy are attempting to have a civilized conversation,”I am not going to leave poor Joe alone. Biddy said nothing. Biddy don’t you hear me. Yes, Mr. Pip. Not to mention your calling me Mr. Pip-which appears to me to be in bad taste-what do you mean … “Biddy,” said I, in a virtuously self-asserting manner,”I must request to know what you mean by this?…“Now don’t echo,” I retorted. “You used not to echo, Biddy (Page 284).” In this short passage we see many instances of Pip correcting Biddy or acting above her. I really hope Pip gets over this silly feeling of righteousness and goes back to how he used to respect people.

• Great Job! Although, I think Pip was respecting people especially when he said he was thinking about staying with Joe. Looks like we will just have to continue reading and find out

11. A theme of Pip’s guilt and shame has been clearly depicted in chapters 34-37, and throughout the novel. First off, Pip is realizing that his expectations of his life have been inevitably affecting his relationship with both Joe and Biddy. He knows that he could have treated the both of them with the greater respect they deserve. “I lived in a state of chronic uneasiness respecting my behavior to Joe. My conscience was not by any means comfortable about Biddy.” … “I used to think, with a weariness on my spirits, that I should have been happier and better if I had never seen Miss Havisham’s face, and risen to manhood content to be partners with Joe in the honest old forge,” (272). Pip feels guilty about how he has treated Joe before. He had always felt quite embarrassed and ashamed of him after coming into his fortune and even before that, when Joe is meeting with Miss Havisham and talking to her through Pip. During the funeral, Pip feels guilty about how he had treated Biddy when he said that she was jealous of him, and now Biddy is treating him with disgust (by mocking him) and loathing (for what he accused her of). “ ‘I would think you would always improve, Biddy, under any circumstances.’ ‘Ah! Except in my bad side of human nature,’ murmured Biddy. It was not so much a reproach, as an irresistible thinking aloud,” (283). Biddy is sniping at Pip and trying to get back at him for how he treated her before. Pip is very hurt now, since he is being completely sincere. Piis also guilty because of how he has influenced Herbert. Now they are both in great debt, since Herbert could not help but get into the habit of spending lots of money after hanging out with Pip for so long. “My lavish habits led his easy nature into expenses he could not afford, corrupted by the simplicity of his life, and disturbed his peace with anxieties and regrets.” … “But Herbert’s was a very different case, and it often caused me a twinge to think I had done him an evil service…” (272). He obviously hates the impact that his life has had on Herbert’s, and would do anything he could to make it better. To summarize, the theme of guilt and shame has been demonstrated again and again throughout the novel.

12. Throughout chapters 34-37 it seemed as if the motif of regret and guilt was repeating itself. This motif was first seen on page 225 when Pip saw Joe leave and he regretted not saying a proper goodbye. As time went on we saw the feeling of regret on page 272 when Pip wonders what would have happened if he didn’t meet Miss Havisham. Pip’s exact words were, “I used to think, with a weariness on my spirits, that I should have been happier and better if I had never seen Miss Havisham’s face”. Later, on page 278 after Mrs. Joe died, it seemed to be as if Pip was being haunted with memories of Mrs.Joe, in which I believe only happened because Pip knew he should’ve had better memories with Mrs. Joe and now he is regretting it. Subsequent to that quote, one page 284, Pip said, “not to mention your calling me Mr. Pip – which appears to me to be in bad taste, Biddy – what do you mean”. When reading this it seems to be as if Pip just wanted to be called Pip instead of Mr. Pip in which case makes Pip regrets getting the “honour” of being called Mr. Pip because now he just wants to be himself. Lastly, on page 292, it said that Herbert also felt dejected and guilty. This showed us that Pip wasn’t alone when he felt regret and guilt. All in all, up till now there has been a constant motif of regret and guilt in which makes me curious for what is to come in the future of Pip and if this motif will repeat.

• great response Noy. I like how you focused mainly on Pip’s guilt towards Joe, because that is definitely the most chronic example in the chapters we read today. I like how your response was short, but it explained every detail perfectly. Nice work!

13. Pip felt a lot of guilt and shame through chapters 34-37. First of all, Pip explained how he, “…lived in a state of chronic uneasiness respecting my behaviour towards Joe” (pg. 272) Pip also explained how he feels guilty for how Herbert is in debt because of his own lavish ways. I am glad Pip is realizing how disrespectful he was towards the people who cared about him the most. Pip went to Mrs. Joe’s funeral, which led him to experiencing more guilt and shame with Biddy. Biddy quoted, “Are you quite sure you WILL come to see hi often” (pg. 284). Biddy is hinting at how she doesn’t believe he will be kind and visit Joe, because he hadn’t done so in the past. Pip gets angry and is sort of in denial, but Biddy knows it will take a lot to change Pip. Pip is taking steps towards becoming a better person, but the way he acted with Biddy leads me to believe he still isn’t fully a good, young man. Biddy is a great young woman, and I agree with her when she questions Pip about how good he really will be towards the family in the future.

• Yes! Biddy is definitely right in questioning Pip’s motives and intentions at this point, and clearly Pip has not done much to make her change her view or ours. I certainly feel that Pip becomes more and more distant every chapter we read.
      Fantastic response!

14. Guilt and shame are everywhere in chapters 34-37. There’s a lot, so let’s focus on some specific sections. Starting off, we have the shame Pip feels after really looking at how much debt has piled up since he has spent all the money he has yet to earn. He knows that it’s a problem, and the part I found interesting was that both him and Herbert both seemed satisfied, as if they were proud of themselves. Had they forgotten the fact that they were in fair amount of debt? “But there was a calm, a rest, a virtuous hush, consequent on these examinations of our affairs that gave me, for the time, an admirable opinion of himself.”(pg.277) Sure, I suppose you can be proud of yourself after all the hard work, I don’t think anybody would feel proud from counting up all the debt they have accumulated. Next, we have grief. At the end of chapter 34, Pip receives a letter that informs him that his sister, Mrs. Joe, has passed away the past Monday, and that her funeral next Monday at 3:00 PM. Once Pip arrives to the funeral, he goes to Joe, and asks him how he is. “Pip, old chap, you knowed her when she were a fine figure of a–’ and clasped my hand and said now more.”(pg.279) Clearly, Joe is heartbroken and it hurts for him to think about the current situation he is in. However, more and more, I get the feeling that Pip is acting more of like he is a close friend of the family, rather than the brother of Mrs. Joe. It just seems wrong for Pip to not feel the emotion that Joe is feeling, and it makes me wonder if his new life has really changed him enough so that he feels like he is a family relative, but not in close relation with Mr. and Mrs. Joe. Could it have?

15. In chapters 34-37 we see a lot of shame and guilt from the characters. First of all, Pip is ashamed of how he treated Joe and Biddy. “I lived in a state of chronic uneasiness respecting my behaviour to Joe. My conscience was not by any means comfortable about Biddy.” (page 272). Pip is ashamed of how he acted as if he is better than Joe and Biddy, and wishes that he treated them with more respect. Also, Pip feels guilty once he hears of his sister’s death. Pip wishes that he visited her before her passing, and he had an opportunity to. Since Pip could have visited his sister, and he didn’t he is extremely guilty that he was selfish and saw Estella instead. Furthermore, Pip is guilty of causing Herbert to go into debt. Pip thinks that he ruined Herbert’s simple life by causing him unnecessary stress. I am glad that Pip is realizing the wrongdoings of his past, and I hope that he fixes all past problems.

16. In chapters 34-37, we read as Pip goes back to the forge because Mrs. Joe has passed on. Pip goes back home to be there for the funeral, say goodbye to his sister, and be there for Joe and Biddy. There are many times Pip shows that he is guilty about not being present enough and that he should be more, and one of the times is when he is talking to Biddy. After the funeral, while they are all back at the house, Biddy and Joe go for a walk to talk with each other about everything that has happened. They talk about how Mrs. Joe died and what might’ve happened. They also talk about how now that Biddy has no one to take care of, she shouldn’t be at their house anymore because it wouldn’t make sense. Biddy is upset though, because she doesn’t want to leave Joe all alone. She knows that he is hurt and that although he says he’ll visit, Pip won’t have the time to meet Joe frequently. Pip gets offended by this while they are talking about it because he wants to believe that he would step up and be there for Joe. Especially at a time like this. We can see that Pip has already felt guilty for not being there before Mrs. Joe died and now that she’s gone he says he will be there for her. But even he knows that isn’t true. On page 285 Pip says as he is leaving, “Once more, the mists were rising as I walked away. If they disclosed me, as I suspect they did, that I should not come back and that Biddy was quite right, all I can say is – they were quite right too.” This quote is present Pip talking to the reader. It is saying that although Pip wanted to come back and be there in ways he hadn’t before, he wouldn’t come back. And, even though he didn’t know it back then Biddy was 100 percent right

17. In chapters 34, 35, 36 and 37, there is a theme of guilt and shame. Once Mrs. Joe Gargery dies, Pip finally realizes how he treated others. He understood that he was acting above everyone and stopped caring about the people who raised him. He was treating them unfairly. Pip thought that “I lived in a state of chronic uneasiness respecting my behaviour to Joe. My conscience was not by any means comfortable about Biddy”(Pg. 272). This means that Pip knew that he did not respect Biddy and Joe, and this realization made Pip uncomfortable. He felt guilty about not seeing Mrs. Joe as often as he should have. Since Pip wanted to avenge her, he said that “… I would spend any money or take any pains to drive him out of that country.”(Pg. 284). Pip believed that Orlick killed Mrs. Joe Gargery. Because of this, he will get rid of Orlick permanently to avenge Mrs. Joe. If Pip was not as distant, maybe Mrs. Joe would still be alive. Because of his desire to become a gentleman, Pip acts unjustly to “common” people. Instead, he tries to impress Estella even though she warns him about liking her. Even though Estella doesn’t care for Pip, he abandons his family. As Pip grows older, he becomes more distant and rude to the people that love him. Although he realizes his mistakes, he may become the same way as he was before.

18. In the chapters 33-37 of Great Expectations, there is an apparent and recurring theme of guilt/misery. This also applies to the entirety of the novel thus far. The very first signs of guilt come from when Pip is confronted by a convict and says that his associate will rip out hid organs if Pip does not steal a file, some food, and some drink from his home. Pip does what he is told out of fear, but bears significant guilt about it the entire day and other days to come. The very first signs we have of misery is Pip visiting Miss Havisham and being ridiculed by Estella. Pip feels horrible about it and comes to believe these things to be true. As it says in the text “I was so humiliated, hurt, spurned, offended, angry, sorry – I cannot hit upon the right name for the smart – God knows what its name was – that tears started in my eyes.” (p 62). It is noteworthy as well that this is what the misery begins with: the introduction to a supposedly better life. Pip visits Miss Havisham for a second time, gets ridiculed by Estella more and intensely. Pip then goes home and is completely ashamed of his own home. He states “it is a most miserable thing to feel ashamed of home”(p106). He wishes to be a richer person so that Estella might like him, or at the very least cease ridiculing him so harshly. This feeling lasts for quite a while and only worsens with every visit to Miss Havisham’s Pip has. This really shows that this exposure to a ‘better life’ is truly destructive to Pip, who we now know is susceptible and weak to these things. Pip only intensely desires that his life be changed, that he live a better life. This ties back to the misery of it, and the fact tat Pip shows a little guilt for feeling in such a way about Joe, a person in Pip’s life who has effectively served as a father figure and a close friend to Pip; a person who has never become cross with him or showed any kind of bad decisions ever. One night, Mr Jaggers, a lawyer of a rich benefactor, tells Pip “that he will to come into a handsome property”(p138). This completely turns Pip’s life upside down. He does harbor a good amount of guilt for leaving Joe and Biddy so promptly, but generally feels hopeful toward it. Pip then leaves to London, where he is to be taught to become a gentleman. Pip appears to quickly take up the position appropriately and feel right there. It becomes apparent that Pip still holds a slight resentment of his old way of life, being the blacksmith’s apprentice, when Pip receives a letter from Biddy stating “I am writing by the request of Mr. Gargery, for to let you know that he is going to London in the company of Mr. Wopsle and would be glad is agreeable to see you,”. Pip is not exactly delighted about his, to say the least. He begins to worry about how Drummle, another student of Mr Jaggers, will laugh at him and forever see Pip inferior to himself for the poor conditions from which Pip came. Pip does admit a little guilt about feeling this way, though. When Joe does actually come, he tells Pip that Miss Havisham had wanted to see Pip again. When Joe starts to leave, Pip then, almost as if in surprise, asks him if he will return for dinner. Joe said he wouldn’t and that he was leaving. When he leaves through the front door, Pip “hurried out after him, and looked for him in the neighboring streets, but he was gone.” (p225) This shows Pip still does feel some guilt and misery for leaving Joe, as he still wants Joe to come back to him. When Pip does return to Miss Havisham, he is reintroduced to Estella. Pip feels rather powerless in her presence, and feels like the weak, dirty, working class child he was when he first met Estella. They do go out for a walk, though, and talk about many things. They go over briefely how Estella had at one point hurt Pip so. “‘Not remember you made me cry?’ said I. ‘No’ said she, and shook her head and looked about her.'”(p 237) This shows the pure heartlessness Estella has for Pip, which makes Pip feel even more miserable. This ‘better life’ Pip had so desperately and relentlessly pursued now doe not seem to be much better in reality. He laments how he would have been much better off if he had never seen Miss Havisham. Pip returns to London and continues his studies. Then he gets a letter that Estella was to visit him. Estella came in the coach, but before she even got out of the coach, when she was waving at Pip from the window, Pip had felt miserable that instant he saw her. He continues to feel so as Estella with a sort of scornful arrogance follows orders given to her to be under the care of Pip. In chapters 33-37, the main event of guilt would be Mrs. Joe’s death. Pip had felt at least some sort of guilt for feeling rash about other people in his family or people he knew. Now, however, we see that he appears to have gone completely over the edge and feels no remorse of any kind for Mrs. Joe’s death. He does still attempt to show some respect toward Joe, however, evident by him asking for his room for that night.

19. In the chapters 34-37, the themes of guilt and shame are quite evident. In the beginning of the reading, Pip is dreaming he never met Miss Havisham, and that he lived a content life with Joe instead. In these chapters, Mrs Joe passes on and Pip returns home for her funeral. He can’t stop thinking about her and even dreamt that she was coming toward him and felt she was haunting him. I believe Pip dreamt of her like that because his guilty conscience was weighing him down for not being around for her death. Pip feels so guilty for how he ended things with Mrs. Joe and Joe himself. As a result of this guilt Pip decides he’s going to spend more time at home and tend to Joe. At the funeral Pip and Biddy argue quite a bit. When Pip reveals he’ll be hanging around home more often, Biddy is skeptical of him because he’s been around and believes he’s too good. Pip knows he thinks like this and is ashamed that other people see him as snobby, in my opinion. When Biddy keeps calling Pip out on his behavior, he gets very defensive, most likely because he knows the way she’s acting is justified and he’s somewhat ashamed of how other think of him.

20. In chapters 34-37, guilt and shame are constantly being mentioned. At the end of chapter 34, it explains how Mrs. Joe died and how Pip is going back to his hometown. He suddenly has an epiphany that he has treated his entire family, Biddy and anyone who has been there for him since day 1 extremely poorly. After the funeral, they come back home and Pip asks to go back and sleep in his old room. He tries to connect with Joe on a sympathetic level. As if that would heal the wounds he created. Also when he tries to have a conversation with Biddy, she doesn’t even try to talk to him in a friendly manner. In my opinion, she shouldn’t. He has never treated anyone in his hometown with respect ever since he found out he could become a gentlemen. In London, he also realizes that he is a enormous burden on Herbert. On page 272 it says, “my lavish habits led his easy nature into expenses that he could not afford, corrupting the simplicity of his life, and disturbed his peace with anxiety and regrets” He comes to the realization that being a gentlemen isn’t as easy as he thought it would be. I hope that Pip will change his ways by the end of this book.

21. In these chapters, Pip is feeling ashamed of himself. He wishes that he had never left home and had just lived his old life. “I lived in a state of chronic uneasiness respecting my behaviour to Joe…happier and better if I had never seen Mrs. Havisham’s face…content to be partners with Joe,” ( pg. 272). Pip has just turned twenty-one, and is now handling his own money. He is not very good at it “As we got more and more into debt, breakfast became hollower and hollower form…” (pg. 275). Not only is he affecting himself with his money loss, but also Herbert. Herbert is naturally kind, and pip took advantage of that, using him as a way to buy what Pip wants. Now Herbert isn’t quite as kind and easy, but is stressed because Pip and Herbert are in debt, which if Pip hadn’t been so stupid with his money, Herbert would be fine. “My lavish habits led his easy nature into expenses he could not afford, corrupted the simplicity of his life, and disturbed his peace with anxieties and regrets ”(pg. 272). Here, it is kind of like when he lived with joe and Mrs. Joe and he had to split an already small meal with them. Now Pip is back at his old town because Mrs. Joe has died and he is coming for the funeral. After the funeral, Pip “ noticed that after the funeral Joe changed his clothes so far, as to make a compromise between his Sunday dress and working dress: in which the dear fellow looked natural, just like the Man he is,” (pg. 282). This is referring back to when Joe had said that he was uncomfortable in his clothes when he was visiting Pip. Joe had said that he was a common blacksmith and he wanted to stay in his common blacksmith clothes. I believe this is a step in the right direction for Pip. Pip sees Joe in his most comfortable state and realizes that Joe is happy in that state, and that Joe doesn’t want to change and become uncommon. Hopefully Pip thinks about why Joe would be so comfortable in that state and hopefully Pip changes his mind about being a gentleman. Pip is already a gentleman, but now he sees how hard it is to be one, as seen with his poor decisions with money. And now he sees Joe happy that he is a common man, and Pip asks to be with Joe, and asks if he could sleep in his own little room. And pip is already feeling bad about leaving his family and going to Miss havisham’s, and going to London to become a gentleman. I hope that Pip will think about his decisions and that later he will realize the big mistake he has made, and possibly move back to his old town, and not be so, “uncommon“ anymore.

• Remy, I like how you pointed out that Pip took advantage of Herbert and his finances, and also how Pip finally realized that Joe is happy where he is. I wouldn’t have noticed them myself! Great response!

22. In Chapters 34-37, Pip is upset on how he have been treating Joe, and had wished never to have met Miss Havisham. He feels ashamed and guilty from ignoring his family. When Pip went to his sister’s funeral, Biddy keeps restating his statements, as if she doubts what he says. Yet, instead of admitting it, he becomes a bit angry at her and blamed her, while he knew that he wasn’t any better. He tries to connect with Joe, but still treats everyone else poorly. He wasn’t even sad when his sister passed away. In fact, he was relieved. Even connecting with Joe didn’t help reconnect them completely. He only went to his old house because he had a reason to. His feeling of guilt and shame, didn’t seem to last very long. If anything, I don’t think he deserves pity. Then, he had reached the turning point in his time. Hopefully, that would help him reconnect with his whole family.

23. In chapters 34-37 the theme of Pip’s guilt is clearly evident throughout the reading. Pip’s expectations were far too unrealistic then he realized He finds himself in debt and financial problems with Herbert. When Pip thought of his life being uncommon he never took in the fact that there would be many hardships on the way. This is clearly one of them. At this point Pip is contemplating his choices towards Herbert as well because Pip thinks that he himself is the cause of the hardships for Herbert and his debt.”My lavish habits led his easy nature into expenses… corrupt the simplicity of his life.”(pg 272) The theme deepens when Pip gets a letter that said that Mrs Joe had passed away. He attended the funeral service and saw both Biddy and Joe. He then realized how he has acted with them up to this point. He even regrets meeting Miss Havisham and Estella. Pip saw that his life still would have been nice if he were to stay at the forge. His encounter with Biddy was not all great. When Biddy questioned Pip about coming back to see Joe he then repeated the term he called her before in the novel “bad side of human nature.” Pip did know that Biddy was right however he did not want her to see that. I was quite disappointed with the encounter with Biddy after a long time. All in all we can really see Pip’s guilt in this part of the reading.

24. In chapters 34 through 35, Pip really begins to realize his mistakes, and how his expectations hurt others. He begins to feel guilty for his actions and words and wants to help fix them. Pip’s and Herbert’s finances start to become even worse, so Pip talks to Wemmick about what he should do. When he asked him at the office, his solution was to, “pitch your money into the Thames over the centre arch of your bridge…” (pg. 291) Not satisfied with this answer, Pip visits Wemmick at his home, where he’s more comfortable and relaxed. When he’s there, he asks him what he should do about Herbert again, to which Wemmick’s answer is that he’ll ask Miss Skiffins’ brother, an accountant, to see what he can do. I think it’s good that Pip is really putting in effort to do something so kind, and it’s a big improvement from how he’s been acting towards his friends recently. Pip, Wemmick, Miss Skiffins, (who Wemmick seems to fancy) and the Aged P all enjoy dinner and listen to the newspaper being read by the Aged P. Back at Pip’s room, after a while, Herbert is happy to say that “the opening had come at last,” and he would be going to work for Mr. Skiffins. That night, Pip started crying because he was so happy that his expectations had done someone good for once. This is a sign of real maturity on Pip’s part, because he’s never done something so blindly kind and honest for someone else, especially when the initial fault was his.

25. Pip was very guilty in chapters 34-37.
    Pip was very guilt for many reasons. When the letter came of Mrs.Joe’s death. He was grieving and guilt-ridden that he didn’t keep in touch with his family in his village. He felt guilty about putting Herbert and himself in debt. He saw how Herbert’s personality went from easy-going and pleasant to anxious and ashamed. He regrets splurging on many expensive things that he bought that got him into debt. Pip was also very mean to Biddy, who tried to talk to him nicely, he said ” I am not angry but I am hurt.” When Pip was the first one to upset Biddy in the first place. This theme resonates throughout the book. For example, he felt guilty when he didn’t tell Joe about giving his convict food and a file, he felt ashamed about lying to Mrs.Joe about Miss Havisham and Estella. This theme courses throughout the book, and really is a big part of the plot and character development.