Miserably I went to bed after all, and miserably thought of Estella, and miserably dreamed that my expectations were all cancelled, and that I had to give my hand in marriage to Herbert’s Clara, or play Hamlet to Miss Havisham’s Ghost, before twenty thousand people, without knowing twenty words of it.

Tonight, I would like you to respond to Chapters 30-33 in any way you choose. These chapters seem fairly varied to me, full of interesting details that may lead you to new questions or understandings about the themes and motifs presented in Great Expectations. You may choose a close reading of one small passage or scene, or you may choose to address the larger thematic questions touched upon in these chapters.  Also, I’m thinking that we can use your responses to focus our discussion in class.

As always, be sure to use specific details from the text in your response and be sure to comment on at least one other comment in this thread.

GE blog #12

40 thoughts on “Miserably I went to bed after all, and miserably thought of Estella, and miserably dreamed that my expectations were all cancelled, and that I had to give my hand in marriage to Herbert’s Clara, or play Hamlet to Miss Havisham’s Ghost, before twenty thousand people, without knowing twenty words of it.

1. In chapters 30 to 33, many interesting things happen, with a lot of details. I chose the part where Estella comes to London, just to visit Pip for a short time before going to Yorkshire. Right now, Pip is still very attracted to Estella and adores her. She comes and tells Pip that he is foolish that he thinks he is living pleasantly at Mr. Pocket’s. In addition, she tries to somehow put Pip against Mr. Pocket by telling him all his “ real bad qualities”. “ You silly boy…how can you talk such nonsense?…. but he really is disinterested, and above small jealousy and spite….and you are the torment and occupation of their lives”( pp. 266). Estella seems very good at playing a large role in Pip’s attitude changes. She also lets him kiss her cheek again. Estella appears to want Pip to warm up to her, not because of love, but for other reasons. Pip also seems partially heart broken. He sends Estella to her new house at the end, and remarks that he is not very happy. “I got in with a bad heart-ache, and I got out with a worse heart-ache”( pp. 271). Pip seems stressed over his new life, and he might be pounding himself with too much expectations.

• I like your response! By merely reading your response could give me a general idea of what happened, and you caught a few things that I haven’t seen before.

• Great Job on your response Jacky (as always!). I like how you had a negative tone on Estella, because that is how I felt. She only loves him because of his new life, and she influences his decisions. She is controlling and I don’t see a good outcome to be honest.

2. “Miserably I went to bed after all, and miserably thought of all Estella, and miserably dreamed that my expectations were all cancelled, and that I had to give my hand in marriage to Herbert’s Clara or play Hamlet to Miss Havisham’s Ghost, before twenty thousand people, without knowing twenty words of it.(Page 258)”

From this quote we can see Pip is may be re thinking all his expectations. He says he dreams of his expectations being cancelled. He doesn’t want to become a gentleman. He also says that he wishes to marry Herbert’s Clara instead of Estella. This part had me thinking. Why would he not want to marry Estella when the chapters before he is realizing he loves her. Pip may fail at his expectations. The theme of this book may to not get your expectations up because then you won’t be disappointed when you don’t reach them. Earlier in the book we hear of Mr. Pocket. He used to sharpen knives and he moved to London to become something more. Mr. Pocket ultimately fails to become better. Dickens may have been foreshadowing to how Pip will fail. Also Pip seems like he may be missing Joe. He sends him a barrel of stuff. Also he has to make excuses for himself to not go visit Joe.

• Abby, I do not think that Pip no longer wants to marry Estella. He is saying that he dreamed he had to give his hand his in marriage to Clara (emphasis on ‘had’). He also says, “and that I had to play Hamlet to Miss Havisham’s Ghost, before twenty thousand people, without knowing twenty words of it.” Pip feels like he is forced to do something he doesn’t want to, and he dreams of it because he constantly thinks of it.

3. In chapters 30-33, Pip experiences many new events that should be further analyzed and questioned. The most notable subject is Estella. After a dinner with Herbert, Pip decides to ask him what to do with her. Pip already knows that Estella is terrible and makes him miserable, but he still cannot tear himself away from her. “Think of what she is herself. This may lead to miserable things – I know it, Herbert, but I can’t help it.” It is natural that Pip cares of Estella’s opinion of him. However, he is so concerned that when she comes into his mind at the coach station, he instantly thinks of how the tiniest details of him would matter. I think it is peculiar that this is the case, because deep down he knows that he is miserable with her, and will always be. I also wonder what Pip means by, “What was the nameless shadow which again in that one instant had passed?” He notices it when Estella waves at him from the window, and is recalling and wondering what it had been. Therefore, it must have something to do with her. Miss Havisham has succeeded in using Estella to win Pip over. It is easy to predict that Estella will break his heart in the future (even though his is heart is breaking presently). Finally, when Pip brings Estella to her new home, he once again thinks of how happy he should be. Still inside of him he knows that he will always be miserable with her, “And still I stood looking at the house, thinking how happy I should be if I lived there with her, and knowing that I never was happy with her, but always miserable.”

• Awesome job Tony. You did a great job of analyzing Estella in this scene and her effect on Pip. I also completely agree with you that Estella will break Pip’s heart somewhere along the line. Again, great job, Tony.

• Things are looking brighter for the Pip-Estella future from what I’ve seen, even though I wish not. I’d say that it’s definitely got me confused since she was so mean before but is a lot kinder now. I actually find myself liking Estella as a character.

4. In Chapter 30, Pip had told Mr. Jaggers that he doubted “Orlick’s being the right sort of man to fill a post of trust at Miss Havisham’s.”(p. 244) He responded that he isn’t the right sort of man “because the man who fills post of trust never is the right sort of man.” (p. 244) At first, it confused me on why Dickens had put that paragraph in that chapter, when it seemed to have nothing to do with the following chapters. Then, after looking it over, I noticed that Mr. Jaggers was mentioned several times on the following chapters. It seemed to show aspects about Mr. Jaggers, such as how he is odd and intimidating. He had said, “I should like to see him argue the question with me.”(p. 244) The way he acts and affects others pops up several questions. His words itself seems very puzzling. I hope to learn more about him in the following chapters.

5. During chapters 30-33, there were many details that had beautiful meanings in which caught my eye. One particular detail that caught my eye was in chapter 30 when Pip was talking to Herbert. On page 246, Pip discussed with Herbert that he liked and adored Estella. To Pip’s surprise this didn’t shock Herbert and Herbert said in reaction to this, “when you told me your own story, you told me plainly that you began adoring her the first time you saw her, when you were very young indeed”. This just shows how Herbert pays attention to Pip instead of just nodding to whatever Pip says. Additionally, on page 248, when Pip was distraught that Estella lived far away from him which meant that they couldn’t hang out alot, Herbert stepped in and said that he just has to wait and that he is not a bad person, just like Joe would’ve done. Lastly on page 251, Herbert trusted Pip to keep his secret of who he is marrying, and Pip mentioned that, “I assured him of my keeping the secret, and begged to be favoured with further particles”. This shows how Herbert can trust Pip in which can lead to them getting to be closer friends in the future. As of now this ensures us that they are friendly with each other and can be considered friends. Overall, since Joe left, Herbert seems to be replacing him due to him always hanging out with Pip and giving him advice in a way that a good friend would do.

• Great comment! I definitely agree with you that Herbert is a great friend and that Herbert is like Joe. Great job ! Keep it up!

6. In chapters 30-33 of Great Expectations a lot of interesting events take place. First, Pip advices Mr. Jaggers to get rid of Orlick at Miss Havisham’s house. Pip tells Jaggers about Orlick’s past, and Mr. Jaggers fires the man from Miss Havisham’s employ. Although many minor events took place, the main focus of chapter 30-33 was ESTELLA. Pip explains to Herbert that Miss Havisham is his secret benefactor, and she does not intend for him to marry Estella. Herbert seems to be giving Pip lots of advice and seems to be a Joe figure to Pip. Herbert confesses to Pip that he is also in love and, in fact, has a fiancée named Clara, but he is too poor to marry her. Herbert also knows about Pip’s affection for Estella without him directly telling him. The text states, “‘Herbert,’ said I, laying my hand upon his knee, ‘I love I adore – Estella.’ Instead of being transfixed, Herbert replied in an easy matter-of-course way…‘Of course I know that.’” (pg. 247) This shows just how obvious Pip’s love for Estella is. In addition, when Pip was waiting for Estella he was bummed when he couldn’t get his fancy clothing and wanted everything to be perfect. He even waited hours earlier for Estella’s arrival at the station. When Estella does arrive and they travel together she treats Pip arrogantly. Pip is suddenly transformed into ecstatic joy when she refers to their “instructions,” which makes him feel as though they are destined to be married, contrary to his statement before. I wonder whether Pip and Estella will get married and if Estella feels a certain way towards Pip (although she does not have any feelings).

7. “Miserably I went to bed after all, and miserably thought of all Estella, and miserably dreamed that my expectations were all cancelled, and that I had to give my hand in marriage to Herbert’s Clara or play Hamlet to Miss Havisham’s Ghost, before twenty thousand people, without knowing twenty words of it.(Page 258)”

Pip’s life in London is not going as he had expected it to be. The big expectations he had on this journey and his wish to become a gentleman is “cancelled”. Everything he had planned out, is not going as expected. Pip loves Estella, and always thinks of her, believing that they are destined together. However, he knows he will not be happy with Estella. Miss Havisham had tricked him into loving Estella, always asking about his feelings and if she is pretty, Pip feels forced to propose to Clara, and play Hamlet, where Miss Havisham takes form of the ghost, and that he forgets his lines. Although Pip always dreamed for a chance to become “uncommon”, it is not going how he had planned it to be, and feels forced to make certain decisions.

• I agree with your response. Pip’s dream tells us a lot about him. When he dreams of preforming Hamlet, without knowing the lines and having a huge audience, it can tells us he is nervous and stepping in uncharted areas in which one slip could have drastic consequences.

8. Many new events take place in the chapters 30-33, the major one being Pip’s latest encounter with the love of his life, Estella. Pip approaches this visit nervously and excitedly, but deep down in his thoughts he knows that he will never be able to win Estella over. After Pip got the letter from Estella that she would be coming to London in a little while, Pip was extremely self-conscious about everything about his appearance. Thinking about what Estella would think of him after his time with Wemmick, he says “I wished that Wemmick had not met me, or that I had not yielded to him and gone with him, so that, of all days in the year on this day, I might not have had Newgate in my breath and on my clothes”(Pg. 264). Pip is thinking way too much about what he smells like, looks like, and is way too invested in trying to impress Estella and win her over. Pip has also given too much of himself over to Estella, and she has immense amounts of control over Pip. She is capable of molding Pip’s thoughts to what she pleases, and could start to manipulate Pip’s mind into what she, and possibly Miss Havisham, desire. Pip’s main emotions and actions are sometimes solely based around impressing Estella at this point, and when he sees that she does not feel the same way, he is crestfallen and depressed. “…I got in with a bad heart-ache, and I got out with a worse heart-ache”(Pg. 270). Estella has completely won Pip over, and it seems that Pip would do anything for her, and believe anything that she says. He cares too much about her, is always going out of his way to win her affection, but when she does not show anything of the sort, Pip becomes horribly heartbroken.

9. In the chapters of 30 through 33 many interesting things occur. One thing I would like to mainly she is controlled by ofocus on though is when Estella arrives. She arrives in a fur covered traveling dress and immediately when she arrives she talks as if she has no control of her future. She says, “We have no choice, you or I, but to obey our instructions (Page 265).” Miss Havisham apparently has complete control of Estella’s life everything is reported to Miss Havisham and executed how Miss Havisham desires. “Said Estella ,with a sigh as, if she were tired;”I am to write to her constantly and see her regularly, and report how I go on-I and the jewels-for they are nearly all mine now.”” Estella talks as if they are “puppets on a string” multiple times and drills that feeling home. Estella soon leaves and goes to a small family in London. Pip is left “thinking how happy I should be if I lived there(house owned by the family Estella is visiting) with her, and knowing that I was never happy with her, but always miserable (Page 271). After Estella left, Pip feels worse than he did before seeing her. Estella is not good for Pip except he cannot stop loving her. Herbert understands how Estella effects Pip and says, “Not being bound to her, can you not detach yourself from her(Page 250)?” Even when Herbert realises pip is hopeless he states, “Think of her bringing-up, and think of Miss Havisham. Think of what she is herself (now I am repulsive and you abominate me). This may lead to miserable things (Page 250).” Many characters including Pip realise that Estella is a monster in disguise. However, Pip is unfortunately too attached to this monster to let go. I hope that Pip can get over Estella and even moreso hope she has pity on him and doesn’t destroy his heart.

10. In these chapters Pip continues to fall more in love with Estella. He confessed his feelings for her to Herbert, and Herbert wasn’t surprised at all. Herbert already knew this and Pip was puzzled as to how he could have known since he never told him. Herbert responded “You never told me when you have got your hair cut, but I have had senses to perceive it.” (page 247). Here we learn more about Herbert’s character. He is both perceptive and observant. We also see how much Herbert cares for Pip as he advises Pip to fall out of love with Estella if he could. Pip, being so deep in love, cannot see the facts and says that this is impossible. He states “‘You cannot detach yourself?’ ‘No, Impossible!’ ‘You cannot try, Handel?’ ‘No, Impossible!’” (page 250). Pip now has been told by two friends, Herbert and Biddy, that Estella is not the one for him, but that falls on deaf ears. I am certain this is not going to end well for Pip-and it’s driving me crazy that Pip is so blinded by love that he cannot see what is coming…heartbreak. This is only further reinforced when Estella comes to London. She continues to treat Pip in a disdainful manner. He is like a puppy dog who responds to all of Estella’s commands. There is no sincerity or love in her actions and deep down, I believe Pip knows this. He goes so far as to admit that he is “always miserable” (page 271) in her company. I just don’t understand how Pip can be so in love with a woman who makes him feel so unhappy. Will he ever wake up?

11. In chapters 30-33, my interest is drawn to Pip’s meeting with Estella. Pip still believes that Estella is beautiful and adores her. I am sure that Pip doesn’t realize he is doing it, but he makes his feelings for Estella very clear. When he decided to tell Herbert that he likes her, it turned out that Herbert already knew. “Told me! You have never told me when you have got your hair cut, but I have had senses to perceive it. You have always adored her, ever since I have known you. You brought your adoration and your portmanteau here, together. Told me! Why, you have always told me all day long. When you told me your own story, you told me plainly that you began adoring her the first time you saw her, when you were very young indeed.”(247) Pip also makes it very obvious to Estella that he loves her. “I live quite pleasantly there; at least… As pleasantly as I could anywhere, away from you.”(266) Estella doesn’t have the same feeling for him, though. Pip should drop his dream of getting Estella. They are constantly apart and have no hope of getting together. Miss Havisham might not allow him permission, since she is all about the revenge and breaking of the heart business. Pip is distracted with his thoughts about Estella. He even tells Herbert that it is impossible for him to stop loving and adoring her. Pip might find another girl, but his love for Estella might never fade.

12. On page 238, after learning that Estella is coming to town, and after having his talk with Herbert about trying to let Estella go, Pip has a lot of trouble falling asleep. “Miserably I went to bed after all, and miserably thought of Estella, and miserably dreamed that my expectations were all cancelled, and that I had to give my hand in marriage to Herbert’s Clara, or play Hamlet to Miss Havisham’s Ghost, before twenty thousand people, without knowing twenty words of it,” (238). There are many tiny details in this small text that are very difficult to find, but if you look closely, you’ll spot them. Pip is dreaming of being married to Clara instead of Estella, and clearly, this isn’t a happy though. You can tell by the way that Dickens says “miserably”, repetitively, that none of Pip’s thoughts right now are good. He does not like the idea of not being with Estella. Second, the part where it says, “play Hamlet to Miss Havisham’s Ghost” is a reference to Mr. Wopsle’s play that day, Hamlet. In this play, Hamlet, a prince, rethinks his life as his mother marries his dead father’s murderer. In the quote, Hamlet is being compared to Pip and Miss Havisham is being compared to Hamlet’s mother. I really liked how Dickens managed to slip that analogy in there, so discreetly that it was nearly unnoticeable. Finally, the last part of the quote is a reference to the terrible performance put on by Mr. Wopsle and the rest of the cast. To summarize, Dickens has once again managed to expertly slip clever references into the text that require a close analysis to see.

13. In chapters 30-33 of Great Expectations, many things happened, but I wanted to focus on one critical moment in chapter 30. During this chapter Pip asks Herbert for advice on Estella. Pip tells Herbert he loves Estella, although Herbert replies how he has known that ever since he had known them. Herbert must have always seen the connection between the two that was obvious to him that Pip didn’t even realize until now. However Pip doesn’t know how to tell Estella because she is “…thousands of miles away from me!” (pg. 248) This realization of Pip could be a motif or even a theme of the hardships of love. Pip then talks about how, “…I may still say that on the constancy of one person(naming no person) all my expectations depend.” (pg. 248) Herbert responds, “We are looking into our gift-horse’s mouth with a magnifying glass. Likewise, it seems to me that, concentrating our attention on examination, we altogether overlook the best points of the animal….” (pg. 249) Pip basically says one person (I’m gonna guess Estella) controls all his expectations and that is all he focuses on. He spends so much time trying to be the gentleman and acting like the gentleman Estella wants. Herbert made a great point how focusing on one portion of your life will make you miss some of the best parts. This adds to the theme of coming of age because Herbert is trying to get Pip to learn to not focus on his expectations, but to acknowledge the best aspects of his life, all the love people like Joe offer him, and so much more. Pip is on a journey to realize everything life has to offer, which adds to the theme of coming of age.

• Patsy, I like how you pointed out several motifs and themes from the chapters, and how enforced them with good details and quotes. I agree with your inference about Estella being the one who controls Pip’s expectations and feelings, as well. Great analysis!

14. Many events had taken place in chapters 30-33, and I will address Pip’s pronouncing his love for Estella to Herbert Pocket. In chapter 30, Pip and Herbert are sitting around the fire when Pip decides to confess his love for Estella, and Herbert says that he felt that it was obvious, and that Pip, “always adored her, ever since I have known you.” (Page 247) One of my favorite quotes from this scene were on page 248, Pip says, “I am ashamed to say it, and yet it’s no worse to say it than to think it. You call me a lucky fellow. Of course, I am. I was a Blacksmith’s boy but yesterday; I am- what shall I am to-day.” This quote reminds me of Pip when he was younger, and was always wondering what would become of him, growing up common, but visiting the elegant Miss Havisham. He is confiding in Herbert, and Herbert tells Pip that he is not even “bound” to her, so Pip should just forget about her. I noticed that characters such as Herbert and Joe, who have been Pip’s main companions, are very wise and poetic. On page 250, Herbert states, “Think of her bringing up. Think of Miss Havisham. Think of what she is herself. This may lead to miserable things.” Herbert is a good role model for Pip, and he does seem to wan to help Pip. Pip even tells Herbert that he has “a hopeful disposition.” (page 249) So I think that Pip can really benefit from having a friend like Herbert, because instead of having a fatherly-figure, he has a brotherly-figure.

15. In Chapters 30-33 we got to read about Pip and Estella getting to have some time alone together. Estella comes from Miss Havisham’s to visit Pip in London, while she is on her way to Richmond to live with some women there. She writes to Pip before she comes, letting him know when she will be there and he can hardly contain his excitement. The whole night before, he thinks about her and he wakes up early in order to prepare for her visit. He couldn’t even eat he was so nervous. When she arrives, she is standing there waving to Pip greeting him and he comes to greet her as well. He takes her things for her and asks her where she is going. They talk about her future and where she will be and what she’ll be doing while she’s in Richmond. They then go to a restaurant to eat and drink tea to rest before she’s has to get in carriage and go to Richmond. While she’s there and telling Pip the plan, she continues to tell him what he must do and that he is to take care of her. This seemed to be a way for her to get exactly what she wants because she know’s if anyone will do it for her, it’s Pip. They get to the restaurant and talk about how Pip is doing and how she is doing. At one point she addresses him exactly as “Pip” and this surprises him because she never calls him just by Pip. He says that this was just something she did purposely so he could treasure it. From this clue, you’d think that there would be no future for them and that Estella would be giving him something to hold on because they wouldn’t see each other for a while. Maybe this was a way for her to say goodbye. But maybe, based on other clues, they’d see a lot more of each other even though Estella is going to be in Richmond. Using Dickens’ words you also could see that maybe there was more meant for them together. At one point in these chapters, Pip thinks to himself on page 267, “She laughed again, and even now when she had told me why, her laughter was very singular to me, for I could not doubt its being genuine, and yet it seemed too much for the occasion. I thought there must really be something more here than I knew; she saw the thought in my mind, and answered it.”. With this quote, you see how after all the years of being mostly in two different dimensions, she could finally connect with him and understand what he meant. There isn’t a way to predict if there will be a future for them, because we don’t know what Estella wants, but we do know that Pip wants her. So, maybe with time, they’ll end up together or maybe this was it.

16. In chapters 30, 31, 32, and 33, Estella visits Pip in London. Yet again, Estella becomes the rude girl that she previously was. First, she tries to convince Pip that Mr. Pocket is an awful person by saying preposterous things about him. She tells Pip, “You silly boy…how can you talk such nonsense?…. but he really is disinterested, and above small jealousy and spite….and you are the torment and occupation of their lives.” Why does Estella say this about Mr. Pocket in the first place? Is this part of Miss Havisham’s plan? Estella can easily change Pip’s view on anything. Although Estella acts this way, Pip just cannot resist Estella. “Think of what she is herself. This may lead to miserable things – I know it, Herbert, but I can’t help it.” When Estella leaves, Pip feels awful when she finally leaves. Herbert asks Pip, ““Not being bound to her, can you not detach yourself from her?” Herbert tries to make Pip realizes that Pip and Estella’s chances of being married are very little and that he should move on. Throughout the chapters, Estella is able to make Pip into her own little puppet. She has complete control over how Pip feels about anything.

17. In chapters 30-33 a lot of interesting things happen. Pip and Herbert spoke about Herbert’s secret fiancé, and Pip’s love for Estella. Herbert knew that Pip loved Estella even before Pip told him, and Herbert advised to stop, and find someone else. Pip simply stated that it was impossible.Pip is miserable and in pain every time Estella is with him, ” Her reverting to this tone as if our association were forced upon us and we were mere puppets, gave me pain; but everything in our intercourse gave me pain” p.268 and ” I got into the carriage to be taken back to Hammersmith, I got in with a bad heart-ache, and got out with a worse heart-ache.” This just shows how much Pip Is miserable. Somehow, it all felt set up by Miss Havisham, how Estella said that she had to constantly report to her, and how in the previous quote, it said ” we were mere puppets.” All in all, these three chapters were very interesting, and gave me insight on the plot development and character development of this book.

18. From chapters 30-33 I would like to focus on Pip’s feelings for Estella. Pip has very strong feelings for Estella. Pip tells Herbert, “I love- I adore -Estella.” (Pg. 247) and when Pip leaves Estella at her new home he, “got in (the carriage) with a bad heart-ache, and I (Pip) got out with a worse heart-ache.” (Pg. 271) My question is, if Pip had visited Biddy after he visited Estella, would he feel differently? When Pip was leaving for London, the last of the girls that he saw was Biddy, and he left he thought “Biddy was measurably better than Estella” (Pg. 132) , but after seeing Estella again he doesn’t seem to agree with his past-self. Pip hasn’t even thought about Biddy the way he is thinking about Estella recently and I’m wondering if Biddy would be on his mind if he had seen her.

19. The passage I chose from chapters 30-33 was,” ‘Then, my dear Herbert, I cannot tell you how dependent and uncertain I feel, and how exposed to hundreds of chances. Avoiding forbidden ground, as you did just now, I may still say that on the constancy of one person (naming no person) all my expectations depend.” This passage struck me as very interesting because it gives you an insight on how Pip feels about his current living situation. From this, it tells me that Pip seems all his good fortune has come from luck or a series of coincidence. He’s gotten hundreds of chances like from a mysterious benefactor, when he didn’t really work for the opportunity to come to Londkn and instead he got lucky. Pip feels as though his success has come solely from depending on others to help him out. The reason he has any good fortune in his life is because someone else handed it to him, whether it be Jaggers or Miss Havisham. On top of that Pip knows the only reason he’s pursuing this lifestyle is to impress Estella, a girl who could care less about him. He wants to live up to her standards and that’s why he has such great expectations. Pip wants to please Estella and that’s the only reason he wants to be a gentleman or have money. Clearly Pip feels unworthy of his status and position in life, and feels as though he doesn’t truly earn what he receives.

20. In chapters 30-33, we come across plenty of details and events that capture us. The one I’d like to focus on, however, is Estella and Pip’s relationship. Again we find Estella wanting Pip to meet up with her and now they have instructions of some sort. “We have no choice, you and I, but to obey our instructions.”(pg.265) What does she mean by that? This is definitely some good evidence that would suggest that Pip and Estella are meant to be together. I’d also like to suggest that Miss Havisham is setting them up since she is so driven to making Pip love her. “Oh yes, you are to see me; you are to come when you think proper; you are to be mentioned to the family; indeed you are already mentioned.”(pg.270) In this bit, Estella is saying that they are to see each other often and that she has already mentioned Pip to the family she is staying with. Clearly, they are going to be spending time together in the following chapters, and I can’t wait to see how that pans out!

21. Chapters 30 through 33 have many new grown relationships between characters, but the one I want to focus on is the friendship between Pip and Herbert. At the beginning of chapter 30, Pip tells Herbert about his feelings for Estella, but he claims that he has known of these feelings since the first day he met Pip. “‘Told me! Why, you have always told me all day long. When you told me your own story, you told me plainly that you began adoring her the first time you saw her, when you were very young indeed.’” (pg. 247) This shows how observant and attentive Herbert is, and how much he actually listens to what his friends say, instead of just pretending to listen and waiting for them to stop talking. Herbert is like a father figure to Pip, as well as a good friend, much like Joe was, and he gives him advice on what he should do about his feelings for Estella. He tells Pip that he should move on, because Estella will never really love him back. Pip, however, says that he can’t do that, that it would be “impossible!” Even though Herbert didn’t agree with him, he was still supportive and helpful, which is what a true friend should be like. After that, Herbert trusts Pip enough to tell him about his fiancee, Clara, even though it’s supposed to be a secret. I think it’s good that Pip has such a great friend, because it’s someone that he can laugh and connect with, as well as get good advice from. To conclude, Herbert and Pip really connected in these chapters, and I hope that they continue to help each other and learn from each other in the chapters to come.

22. In chapters 30-33, we are introduced to many new plot developments. We begin with Pip and Herbert. Pip sat down with Herbert one night and decides to admit to Herbert that he feels for Estella. Herbert simply replies at first asking “well?”, until realizing this is what Pip was trying to tell him. Herbert tells Pip this fact has been very obvious since Pip was a small boy. While it does show that Herbert cares about Pip and takes care what he does and how he acts, this also shows us about Pip. It would appear that Pip wanted to keep his feelings toward Estella a secret and share it only with the closest of friends, which means Herbert has passed a certain threshold of Pip’s trust. The other major development in the chapters was Estella arriving at London and visiting Pip. Before Estella even gets off the coach, Pip already is affected by her, seeing her in the coach window. She almost arrogantly tells Pip that he is to call a coach to reach where she will be staying and that Pip will have o take care if her until then. After tea and chatting, the coach for Estella arrives and she drives off. What was most interesting about this event was that Pip recalls feeling miserable in her presence the entire time. This would show that Miss Havisham had succeeded in breaking Pip’s heart completely. He so desperately desires her, but at the same time feels miserable in her presence. Pip appears to have fallen into an emotional trap delicately set up by Miss Havisham.

23. Chapters 30-3 mainly revolves around Estella and Pip’s feeling toward Estella. Pip know very much that he shouldn’t want to be with Estella, but he still cannot stop thinking about her. Pip can’t get decide on his feeling for Estella. “Think of what she is herself. This may lead to miserable things – I know it, Herbert, but I can’t help it.”In this part Pip feels that Estella will make life for Pip bad and that Pip doesn’t display affection towards her at all hear. I think Pip is afraid of not loving Estella because of other Miss Havisham and Estella. This thought is apparent whenever he is with Estella. His whole attitude towards her changes and he goes back to loving Estella. Pip is completely in love with Estella when he asked to kiss her cheek again. This was when she was present and right in front of Pip. Estella attitude towards Pip may be done purposely to win his heart and then break it. All in all Pip has a different attitude towards Estella when she’s present from when she isn’t present.

24. These chapters open with Pip and Herbert going to Hamlet, a play that Mr. Wopsle is the star of. But after this play in chapter 31, the rest is about Estella. Still Pip believes Estella is the one and only for him. He receives a letter that tells him to wait for the arrival of somebody the next day around noon, there is no signature and no greeting, but Pip knows who it is from. The next day he arrives at carriage house five hours before he was supposed to. Luckily for Pip Mr. Wemmick invites him to tour the prison house with him. I say lucky for Pip because it will waste time, and Pip won’t be sitting around doing nothing for five hours. But it was rather unlucky for Pip, for he didn’t like the prison house. He doesn’t like that criminals are constantly in his life, and he doesn’t know why criminals are constantly in that she is moving away to his life. And now he doesn’t even smell as good as he did before. Later Estella arrives and Pip is overjoyed, Estella tells him the plans. They will both ride to her new home in Yorkshire, and then he will go back home. Estella will pay for all of it. Also he is to visit her often. They go out to eat and in their discussion Pip kisses Estella’s hand and tn her cheek. She doesn’t show that she is affected by this in any way and continues to talk. This shows that still, even if Pip believes Estella is the one, that Estella has no affection for Pip, or she tries her hardest to not show that she likes Pip. And if it’s the ladder, then she is really good. Also even if she does like Pip and is just trying to hide it, that would still mean that she isn’t the one for Pip. That would mean that she is probably embarrassed that she likes Pip, which isn’t going to lead to a healthy relationship. When Pip leaves and gets home, after dropping of Estella, he is very upset. “I got in with a bad heart-ache, and I got out with a worse heart-ache,” (p. 271). Pip is still trying to get with Estella, and Estella is still getting around that. As smart as Pip is, he should be a bit smarter ere, and realize that Estella is a lost cause.