It was but a day gone, and Joe had brought the tears into my eyes; they had soon dried, God forgive me! soon dried.

In chapters 27, 28, and 29 Pip comes into contact again with various people from home.  Discuss how his relationships with these characters have evolved since he came to London and how this evolution contributes to the reader’s understanding of Pip’s development.  Use many specific details from the text to support your opinions.  Be sure, also, that you comment on at least one other comment in this thread.

GE blog #11

41 thoughts on “It was but a day gone, and Joe had brought the tears into my eyes; they had soon dried, God forgive me! soon dried.

1. Since coming into his handsome property and becoming a gentleman, Pip’s relationships with his friends and family from home have changed. This helps us come to understand the development of Pip. First, Joe arrives in London to meet Pip, and to send a message from Miss Havisham. Joe has changed towards Pip after being apart for so long, and his becoming uncommon. At times, he calls him “Sir” and seems a bit distant from him, and hurt from how Pip treats him now that he’s changed. Pip does not enjoy his company much anymore. In fact, he wishes Joe would not embarrass with him with his common manner, and Joe recognizes it. “You and me is not figures to be together in London; nor yet anywhere else but what is private, beknown, and understood.” However, overall he is still the same loving friend of his inside. Once Pip had arrived back at Miss Havisham’s house, he sees that Estella has changed. So much so that Pip does not even recognize her until further examination. She is now much more beautiful, and more like a mature lady. Now that Pip is no longer so “coarse and common”, Estella treats him much better than before. She talks to him more like an equal (but not completely), rather than something far inferior and beneath her. This causes Pip to love her even more, still refusing to accept that she has a terrible personality. “Oh! I have a heart to be stabbed or shot in, I have no doubt.. But you know what I mean. I have no softness there, no – sympathy – sentiment – nonsense.” She even downright tells him she has no heart, sympathy, or feelings, and Pip still does not believe it! This shows that Pip has a very strong conviction of winning Estella’s love, which is ironic since she said she has no feelings. Estella also does not want Joe to be around him anymore, which tests the bonds between Joe and Pip. Pip cannot win Estella over while still being friends with Joe, his so very close friend, but Pip still chooses Estella. This, he knows is not to be forgiven so easily. “It was but a day gone, and Joe had brought tears into my eyes; they had soon dried, God forgive me! soon dried.”

2. In chapters 27-29 Pip returns home for a little while. He reconnects with a few characters from earlier in the the book. One of them is Estella. Pip and Estella’s relationship changed from when they last saw each other. This is probably because they both changed. When Pip first sees Estella he hardly recognized her. “ The lady whom I had never seen before, lifted up her eyes and looked archly at me, and then I saw that the eyes were Estella’s eyes. But she was so much changed, so much more beautiful…(page 234+235)” Estella has changed so much Pip doesn’t recognize her. Then Miss Havisham asks Estella if Pip had changed. “Is he changed? Miss Havisham asked her. ‘Very much,’ said Estella, looking at me. ( page 235)” They both see that’s each other have changed so that will make them have different opinions on each other. Then while Estella is changing Miss Havisham and Pip are alone. Miss Havisham says “… Love her, love her, love her! If she favours you, love her. If she wounds you, love her. If she tears your heart to pieces… love her! (Page 240)” Now Miss Havisham is telling Pip to love Estella. Estella never says anything about loving Pip, but you can tell that she is “leading” him into loving her. Then Pip can’t stop thinking about her. “ Far into the night, Miss Havisham’s words, ‘Love her, love her, love her!’ sounded in my ears. I adapted them from my own repetition, and said to my pillow ‘I love her, I love her, I love her!’ hundreds of times. ( page 243)” Pip now loves Estella when before he thought she was mean and made him cry.

3. In chapter 27, Joe comes to London to visit Pip. A lot has changed from the last time they have spent time with each other. Pip is learning to be a gentleman and is more mature. During Joe’s visit, Pip acts very annoyed and acts much like how Estella treated him when they were younger. The visit is awkward, and the companionship Pip and Joe had together is nowhere to be seen. Joe mentions that Estella wants to see him, and Pip suddenly starts to improve his behavior, but Joe leaves. “Pip, dear old chap, life is made of ever so many partings welded together, as I may say, and one man’s a blacksmith, and one’s a whitesmith, and one’s a goldsmith, and one’s a coppersmith. Diwisions among such must come” (page 224). In chapter 28, Pip is traveling to the Satis House, to hopefully see Estella. He shares a coach with two convicts, one of them who happen to be the man from the pub. Pip overhears their conversation, and how Pip’s first convict had asked the convict in the coach to give him the money. Out of fear, Pip leaves the coach immediately, at the next stop. In chapter 29, Pip arrives at the Satis House. Orlick now works for Miss Havisham. Pip finds Miss Havisham in her room with Estella. Estella is pretty as ever, and Pip knows that they are destined to be together. However, when Estella and Pip walk around the garden, Pip becomes the awkward little boy again, and Estella does not remember most of the memories they had together. “I showed her the nicety where I had seen her walking on the casks, that first old day, and she said with a cold and careless look in that direction, ‘Did I?’” (page 237) Estella also mentions that she loves no one, but Pip wonders if someone so beautiful can be heartless. Like when Pip was younger, Miss Havisham continues to ask Pip if Estella is pretty and graceful. However, Miss Havisham is crazy as ever, desperate for Estella to find love. “‘- love her, love her, love her!’” (page 240).

• Great job, Ellie! Like the way you broke down the interaction between Pip and Joe, and how you connected Pip’s attitude towards Joe to Estella’s attitude toward Pip when see met him. I also like the evidence you used. Nice work!

4. Throughout chapters 27-29, Pip comes into to contact with many of his familiar family members. This time, however, his relationships with these characters have evolved since he came to London and this evolution greatly contributes to the reader’s understanding of Pip’s development. First, Pip witnesses Joe at Pip’s hotel, and he has a very short and awkward conversation with him. Pip was a bit apprehensive because he worries that Joe will disapprove of his lavish lifestyle and that Drummle will look down on him because of Joe. Anyways, Pip seems very embarrassed and annoyed at everything Joe had to say. Joe realizes this and says,” “Pip, dear old chap, life is made of ever so many partings welded together, as I may say, and one man’s a blacksmith, and one’s a whitesmith, and one’s a goldsmith, and one’s a coppersmith. Divisions among such must come. . . .”(pg. 224). This shows that Joe understands Pip has changed and that he knows that they are extremely different from each other, especially in terms of wealth and social class. Pip only seems to pause his embarrassment and annoyance of Joe when he brings up the fact that Estella came back and would like to see him, “‘Would you tell him, then,’ said she, ‘that which Estella has come home and would be glad to see him.’’ Next, Pip meets at Miss Havisham’s house to see Estella. To his surprise, Estella becomes unnoticeable and has increasingly grown very beautiful, as she has become a stunning, ravishing young women. “ The lady whom I had never seen before, lifted up her eyes and looked archly at me, and then I saw that the eyes were Estella’s eyes. But she was so much changed, so much more beautiful…(page 235)”. On top of everything, Estella’s attitude had completely changed. She now treated Pip better than before, because he wasn’t so coarse and common. This makes Pip quickly fall in love with her more than ever. Although she was much nicer, she didn’t have any feelings and even warned Pip of that. Pip just got distracted by her beauty, and genuinely loved her. While about to sleep, Pip says to himself, “‘I love her, I love her, I love her!’ hundreds of times.” ( page 243). Furthermore, Pip has come to an interesting circumstance, will he choose Joe or Estella? Pip must stick to his family if he chooses, or get blinded by Estella’s beauty which will continue growing. For now, he has chosen Estella, but we will find out what route he will take in the later chapter. To conclude, Pip’s perspective of familiar characters of the novel changes as he is becoming uncommon.

5. In chapters 27-29, Pip reunites with many of his old friends and companions. The first person that he meets is Joe, who travels to Pip’s house after sending Pip a letter telling him about his visit. Joe seems very happy and excited to see Pip, but Pip does not feel the same way. Pip feels annoyed and irritated by Joe’s presence, and notices all of the non-gentleman characteristics about Joe. Pip now feels as if he is above Joe, and states that “If I could have kept him away by paying money, I would have paid money”(Pg. 218). This looks to be the final stage of the change in Pip and Joe’s relationship, as they have grown completely distant and now understand that they are not on the same social level. The other 2 people that Pip meets once again are Miss Havisham and Estella. Miss Havisham seems relatively unchanged, as she still is that crazy woman, and now heavily desires Pip to be in love with Estella, which he is. But, it is Estella who undergoes the biggest change, and along with that, the relationship change between Pip and Estella. Instead of being the pretty, bratty girl that she was all those years ago, she now seems to have matured and grown into a composed young woman. Estella doesn’t seem to think that she is above Pip anymore, and sees that he had changed into a gentleman. But, their relationship is looking like one-sided love, with Estella not showing any feelings toward Pip, and not remembering any of the memories she had about Pip from their younger days. “I verily believe that her not remembering and not minding in the least, made me cry again, inwardly – and that is the sharpest crying of all”(Pg. 237). Pip remembers everything about his time with and around Estella, but Estella doesn’t remember any of it, and doesn’t feel sad that she doesn’t either. Pip reunites with multiple of his old companions, but most of these people, and the relationships Pip has with these people, have changed drastically.

6. In chapters 27-29, Pip has been reacquainted with several people from his past. When Pip received a letter from Biddy stating that Joe would be traveling to London and that he wishes to see him, Pip is not exactly thrilled with this news. Before I get into the visit, I would like to point out how Biddy signed the letter, “your servant.” This relationship has changed for sure. The words “your servant” don’t even seem to phase Pip as he is too concerned with Joe visiting. I feel nothing but sympathy for Joe when Pip says that he looked forward to Joe’s visit with “considerable disturbance, some mortification, and a keen sense of incongruity.” (page 218). He is not one bit happy to see the man who always showed him love and friendship. I think this signifies how much Pip has changed. During their visit, Joe informs Pip that Miss Havisham would like him to visit as Estella has returned home. “Estella has come home and would like to see him.” (page 224). This seems to be the highlight of the visit for Pip and he sets off for “home” by coach the next day. On the coach ride, he meets the convict who gave him the two one pound notes at the Three Jolly Bargeman. Pip knows exactly who he is, but luckily for Pip the convict does not recognize him as he has changed so much. I find it interesting that a convict frequently pops up in this novel and suspect will see a convict show up again in the future. When Pip finally arrives to his hometown it is do disappointing that he does not go to visit Joe, Mrs. Joe and Biddy. Rather, he talks himself into believing that it would be better if he stayed at the Blue Boar. Once again we see how Pip has changed and in my opinion not for the better. When Pip finally arrives at Miss Havisham’s he finds Orlick who is now a gatekeeper at the Satis House. He is unhelpful in answering any questions Pip proposes to him. Once Pip meets up with Miss Havisham and Estella, he finds Miss Havisham the same, peculiar as ever. However, Estella is unrecognizable to him. She was physically beautiful, yet remained mean and cold. She tells him “I have no heart…I have no softness there-no, no sympathy-sentiment-nonsense.” (page 237). Pip however does realize what she is truly saying and feels she is prettier than ever. He believes he can “awaken the heart within her, that is mute and sleeping now.” (page 244). What a fool! Overall, these chapters convincingly reveal just how much Pip has changed since becoming a “gentleman.”

• Matthew, I really like how much depth you used to describe the changing relationships between characters, and how many details you used to do so. Wonderful response!!

7. After reading chapters 27-29, I was very glad to read about the characters who were most dominant in volume 1, who have now grown and changed. We see Joe, Orlick, Miss Havisham, and Estella. When Joe visits Pip, for me it was very awkward and frustrating to read. Knowing Joe being Pip’s old companion and being caring, it was strange to see him speak to Pip in the utmost respect, rather than speak to him like a friend. On page 222, Pip states, “…If I had been easier with Joe, Joe would have been easier with me.” and, “Joe,” I interrupted pettishly,”how can you call me Sir.” It’s obvious that Pip wishes to be treated informally by Joe because they are friends. And on page 224, Joe tells Pip, “You and me is not two figures to be together in London; nor yet anywheres else but what is private, and beknown, and understood among friends.” This quote is sad to read because Joe doe not want to be embarrass Pip, which explain why he was using uncommon dialogue, as if to impress Pip. Then we run into Orlick at Miss Havisham’s which was strange to me because he is a creepy character, whom we know little about. So this may mean that he will become more important. When Pip goes to visit Miss Havisham, she is still the same. She is still wearing the dress, only wears one shoe, and she asks Pip what he thinks of Estella, who was right there. On page 235, she says, “She (Estella) was proud and insulting, and you wanted to go away from her. Don’t you remember?” So she is obviously still trying to concoct something between Pip and Estella. Now Estella is a young women who isn’t as cruel as the young Estella, but she frustrates Pip because she remembers nothing of their time spent together. She was always saying, “I don’t remember.” Then on page 237, she tells Pip, “‘You must know,’ said Estella, as condescending to me as a brilliant young women might, ‘that I have no heart- if that has anything to do with my memory.'” This quote shows that she is aware of her changes, but she knows thatch is heartless. Some things I had questions about were the convict that Pip knew as the man who was aiming an invisible gun at him, and if the conversation the convicts had about two one pound notes and witless and anything to do with Pip ad his convict. And I noticed dogs on page 230.

8. Chapters 27, 28, and 29 let us go back to see many different characters from Pip’s past. We come into contact with Joe, Miss Havisham, and Estella once again. Starting with Joe, everything is different. Pip can tell Joe is coming up the staircase before he even sees him. “I knew it was Joe by his clumsy manner of coming up-stairs – his state boots being always too big for him – and by the time it took him to read the names in the other floors in the course of his ascent.”(pg.219) The fact that Pip is able to distinguish Joe from other people just on that shows that Joe is out of place. We also get the same feeling throughout their time spent together when Joe is leaving. “It ain’t that I am proud, but I want to be right, as you should never see me no more in these clothes. I’m wrong in these clothes. I’m wrong out of the forge, the kitchen, or off th’meshes.”(pg.224) It’s almost sad for Joe to basically tell Pip that their public life together is over, and that their relationship should be almost private due to their seperation in class. However, before Joe leaves, he tells Pip that Estella would like to meet up with him once again after the time they’ve spent apart. And Pip, with all his feelings towards the girl that doesn’t treat him well at all, is entirely excited and is knows that he will go and see her. To Pip’s despair, she seems to have vague memories of their time spent together. Pip says “You rewarded me very much”(pg.236) when recollecting on the fight between him and Herbert. She simply responds with “Did I?” because she didn’t remember what she did, even thought Pip held on to that memory dearly. “I showed her to the nicety where I had seen her walking on the casks, that first old day, and she said, with a cold and careless look in that direction, ‘Did I?”(pg.237) Even smaller memories such as this one, Pip can remember. And it breaks my heart knowing that Estella almost doesn’t care, even though she is much kinder to him at this point. And lastly, Miss Havisham. Their relationship has completely changed from Pip being a child to him being a young adult. The part that I find most interesting is when she has a sort of outburst for Pip to love Estella. “Love her, love her, love her! If she favours you, love her. If she wounds you, love her. If she tears your heart to pieces – and as it gets older and stronger it will tear deeper – love her, love her, love her!”(pg.240) Now, we know why Miss Havisham has adopted Estella. It seems it was not only to fill a void left by her husband leaving her, but also to make sure that Estella would have a husband who truly would love her so she would not have to experience what Miss Havisham went through.

9. Pip meets many people from home in chapters 27 to 29. He has changed since the last time he met them. Joe first comes to see Pip in London, because of Mr. Wopsle. Pip does not exactly regard Joe’s visit with complete happiness. He actually feels a bit “disturbed”. As for Joe, now he has fallen into the habit of calling Pip “sir”. “ Your servant, Sir….Us two being now alone, Sir…Joe, how can you call me Sir?”( pp. 222). This shows that Pip is not really homesick, or thinks about home a lot in the process of becoming a gentleman. Joe now thinks that Pip is a higher class individual, and feels obliged to call him Sir. Next, he somehow comes in contact with the convict from the bar again, sitting with him and another one on a ride back to his hometown. Although Pip notices him, the man does not seem to notice Pip. Also, he meets Orlick, who was supposedly supposed to open the gates for him. Orlick seems friendlier. Finally, he sees Mrs. Havisham again with Estella, who he does not notice at first. As it seems, she is more beautiful and attractive. Mrs. Havisham is still wearing the same clothes, and is still vowing to make Pip’s heart broken. “ Love her, love her, love her…I developed her into what she is, that she might be loved. Love her!”(240). She is definitely still looking for revenge. He has changed because if he was not told Mrs. Havisham’s story, he would’ve thought she was encouraging him to marry her. She is still vengeful Estella seems to forget what she had done, and somehow has turned more attractive. She also tells him she is going to London.

10. In Chapters 27-29, Pip is united with some of his old friends. He was given a letter by Biddy that Joe will be visiting him. Instead of being happy, he was horrified. He didn’t want to be embarrassed from his shenanigans, and Joe picked up on that too. When he arrived, he called Pip “Sir,” and fidgeted with his hat, showing he seemed a bit anxious. He started showing tricks to Herbert, and apparently Pip was ashamed of them. He was relieved when Herbert decided to go to the City, leaving them alone. Pip learned that Joe also visited him to tell him that Estella wanted to see him. Only then was he happy that he came. Joe left shortly, because he knew that Pip didn’t want him to embarrass him, and he was hurt, and admitted that they didn’t belong together. “You and me is not figures to be together in London; nor yet anywhere else but what is private, beknown, and understood.” That touched Pip, but it was too late, for he was already gone.
    Pip then goes take a trip to his home town. Before he left, he saw the man with the invisible gun, but he did not recognize him, luckily. When he arrives, he goes to Blue Boar, but does not notify Mr. Pumblechook. The next morning he went to the Satis house, finding Orlick opening the door for him. Pip noticed that the manor has changed a little, for there a more people contained in the manor. Pip finds Estella, who seems to be a much more beautiful and mature woman, yet still heartless, although Pip refuses to believe that. She says herself that she has no heart, yet he still has his heart set on her. The problem is, that she thinks that no one lower class than him can hang out with him, possibly talking about Joe. Sometime in the future, he might have to choose between a friendship with Joe, or a relationship with Estella. Miss Havisham wants him to be with Estella and have her be loved, most likely to break his heart, like hers was. Hopefully, that will never happen.
    He met his old friends, and as Pip treated them by class, while they treated him as a gentleman, oddly, like they were merely strangers greeting each other for the first time.

11. In chapters 27-29, many characters who Pip had lost contact with after leaving for London meet again With Pip. To begin, Pip receives a letter from Biddy that Joe is going to come meet him in London. At reading this for the first time, Pip is ashamed to admit that he is not exactly ecstatic. Pip actually begins to worry about what Drummle will think of him. Pip feels a similar pressure from Drummle now as he did from Estella’s insults. He does not wish for him to see hoe ‘common’ the people who had essentially raised him until going to London. He was relieved to find out, however that Joe was only going to meet him in his inn room and then leave. This shows us that Pip has become rather attached to his current lifestyle, and that he entirely does not even want to be reminded of his old ‘common’ lifestyle. When he does meet with Joe, Pip emphasizes how clumsy and slow Joe is as he is coming up the stairs. When he does get there, Pip mensions that he s annoyed with Joe; annoyed how awkward and clumsy he is. However, Joe then tells him that Miss Havisham had wanted Pip to come visit and see Estella. Pip’s heart jumps at this news and is delighted to hear it. They converse a little, until Joe says he has to leave. Pip seems to be a little disheartened at this, as he asks him if he will even come by for dinner (to which Joe said he wouldn’t). This shows, that through all the new connections, attachments and statuses, Pip still does harbor at least a little attachment to Joe, showing that Pip has not yet entirely been corrupted by wealth. The other main encounter Pip has is with Estella. First, he meets Orlick at the front gate, to Pip’s surprise. Pip finds that Orlick has quit the job of being the blacksmith’s assistant. This does not appear to have too much an effect on Pip, however. When he enters the house to go to Miss Havisham’s room, the next person Pip meets is Miss Pocket. She and Pip then greet each other, and Pip tells her that he has met her family. She seems not too fond of her family, however, as she asks him if they’ve gotten any wiser in dismay. Pip found this a little strange, but he didn’t appear to give it much mind. When Pip enters Miss Havisham’s room, he sees Miss Havisham, seemingly just as he had left her, and a woman he had never seem before. As the woman looked at him, Pip realized that that was Estella. She had changed significantly, and made Pip feel like he had barely changed at all. This might show how he makes himself feel inferior, when in reality he might not necessarily be inferior. Pip is practically dumbfounded at seeing Estella now and feels like the coarse little boy again. This just goes more to show to how Pip really exaggerates in a negative direction hi situation. This could show that his character is just one that constantly puts itself down and will never really be satisfied, no matter the position he may be in, hence the Great Expectations Pip always has and will have of life.

12. In chapters 27 through 29 we are reintroduced to many characters. The first person we meet is Joe, and we see that Pip’s attitude towards him as changed. Where once Pip loved seeing Joe now he looked forward to Joe’s coming,”not with pleasure, though I was ound to him by so many ties; no; with considerable disturbance, some mortification, and a keen sense of incongruity(Page 218).” Pip feels as if Joe is far below him and is just a connection to Pip’s old “miserable” life. With Joe comes an invitation to the Satis House. When Pip is riding there he sits in front of the convict who stirred his rum with a file. Pip overhears this convict talking about why he gave Pip the two one pound notes and understands more about what is happened to his convict. Upon arriving at the Satis House Pip meets Orlick who is now Miss Havisham’s porter. Orlick left Joe’s forge and now lives in a previously unused room next to Miss Havisham’s door.
    Pip then enters Miss Havisham’s room and see’s Estella. “She was so much changed, was so much more beautiful, so much more womanly, in all things winning admiration had made such wonderful advance.” The old Estella was proud and insulting, but the new Estella seems so much more elegant and gained perfection in the area’s the old Estella had not. Unfortunately while Estella and Pip were talking she said,”You must know… that I have no heart.” Finally we meet Miss Havisham again. She hasn’t changed, she still wants Pip to love Estella but now more than ever. Miss Havisham actually grabs Pip and then repeatedly says,”Love her,love her, love her!” Overall to all the characters we have gained new information in these chapters to make me think of them and Pip differently and I am curious to see what Dickens will make happen next!

13. In chapters 27-29 Pip comes in contact with various people from home. The homes/ meet ups that were mentioned were the Satis home, Joe, and even Orlick. As Pip sees these people he realized that he isn’t the only one that changed but everyone else’s character developed . One particular meetup that caught my eye was when Pip saw Joe. This meeting was approached when Joe went to London. Antecedent to this occasion, Joe took the time to find a way to go to London and ask Biddy for help to write a letter explaining that he is coming, in which shows that Joe has changed to be more aware of what is happening around him and that he should see his son/friend instead of sitting at home. Supporting this claim, on page 224, Joe stepped up his game and gave Pip excellent advice, this advice was that, “life is made of ever so many partings welded together, as I may say, and one man’s a blacksmith, and one’s a whitesmith, and one’s a goldsmith, and one’s a coppersmith”. Saying this showed Pip how Joe finally wants to be different and that he isn’t going to go with the crowd anymore but instead just be himself. Subsequent to that quote, on page 244 Pip said, “Joe had brought the tears into my eyes; they had soon dried”. When reading this part, the quote was flashing in my head due to it being put so well on saying how Joe started to reflect on Pip and that when Joe truly talked to Pip he was honest and that left a mark on Pip unlike before when Joe talked and it just went in through one ear and out through the ear of Pips. All in all Pip realized that he wasn’t the only one that changed but others also did.

14. In chapters 27-29, Pip meets people from his old home again. First, he meets Joe. Pip isn’t very happy about that. Joe and Pip are very awkward with each other. Joe keeps on calling Pip “sir”, and thinks that he isn’t worthy of his company. “Having borne his flattering testimony to the merits of our dwelling-place, and having incidentally shown this tendency to call me “sir,” Joe, being invited to sit down to table, looked all round that room for a suitable spot on which to deposit his hat – as if it were only on some very few rare substances in nature that it could find a resting-place – and ultimately stood it on an extreme corner of the chimney-piece, from which it ever afterwards fell off at intervals.(221) Although Pip loves Joe, he is both relieved and sad when he leaves. Pip also gets the chance to see Miss Havisham and Estella again. Miss Havisham didn’t really change, but Estella seemed like a completely different person. Pip didn’t recognize her because she has grown so beautiful. Her attitude towards Pip has also changed greatly. She doesn’t tease him or criticize him like she used to. Pip is still hopelessly in love with her. I hope that Pip will re patch his relationship with Joe soon. I hate seeing them so awkward around each other.

15. In these chapters (27 through 29) Pip gets to see some old friends again. Those people were, Joe, Miss Havisham, Orlick, the convict he saw at the Three Jolly Bargemen, Estella and he came in contact with Biddy. First Joe came, he said that he was there to watch a play that Mr. Wopsle was in after he decided to take up acting instead of working at the church. Joe came and Pip really wasn’t excited, it had been a while since they had seen each other and Pip was still annoyed by him. That was so rude of Pip and he always seems to act as though he’s above everyone, especially Joe. Eventually, Pip and Joe got to talking and Joe told him one of the reasons he was really there. Joe got word from Miss Havisham that Estella was back and that they should see each other again. When Pip finally went to Miss Havisham’s estate, he walked in and Orlick was there. Pip hadn’t seen him in a while since he hadn’t been at home where Orlick was with Biddy and Joe. He didn’t expect Orlick to be at Miss Havisham’s place at all, so it was strange for him to see Orlick there and he wondered how he had ended up there. As soon as Pip got upstairs to the room that Miss Havisham was waiting for him in, he saw her sitting there in her old dress, near the old table, the same way he had left her. They got to talking and soon Estella walked in. Pip was suddenly transported to his helpless, common boy, younger self and didn’t know what to do. She was beautiful, even more beautiful than before and he still wanted her. They went for a walk around the garden and they talked about each other’s lives and how so much had changed since they had last seen each other. When they came back in, Miss Havisham kept talking to Pip and saying, “Love her! Love her!” as if she wanted to force him into something that he didn’t know if he wanted (although I think he does). It’s gonna be a rollercoaster of events that occur between Estella and Pip, we can already tell. Along with seeing Joe, Orlick, Miss Havisham and Estella Pip also saw the squinted eye convict that he met at the Three Jolly Bargemen. He was walking in London with Herbert one day, when they heard crowds and two convicts were being taken care of. Pip immediately knew who it was. He was very scared to see him walking the streets and tries to keep a low profile, even though it was likely that the convict wouldn’t recognize him at all. He was especially grateful that Herbert called him by the name of Handel and not Pip because that could’ve given him away. These 3 chapter were very good tonight and many new and exciting events occurred.

16. In chapters 27-29 Pip once again came into contact with people from home. He is visited by Joe, visited Miss. Havisham and Estella, where he ran into Olrick and Miss Pocket, and on his way back home he saw the man with the file. When Pip used to be with Joe, Joe was Pip’s boss and was more important than Pip. Now that Pip is a gentleman, Joe is calling him “Sir” and acting like he did at Miss. Havisham’s. Joe was holding his hat as he did at Miss. Havisham’s when he was uncomfortable with higher class people. Now that He is acting this way with Pip, we see that Joe feels as if he is less than Pip. On Joe’s way out he explains to Pip how he feels about being with high society people and it makes Pip realize how much he has changed. The next day Pip went to visit those at home and was put in a carriage with two convicts, one of which Pip recognized from having Joe’s file. The convict did not recognize Pip, but remembers him, he was talking about Pip to the other convict. Pip is still afraid of the strange man. “I thought what a blessed fortune it was, that he had found another name for me than Pip.” (Pg. 228) Pip didn’t want to be recognized by the convict in fear. Once Pip went to Miss. Havisham’s, we was surprised to see Olrick opening the gate for him. I was wondering why Pip was being so polite to Olrick, since one of the last times he saw him, he was fighting with Joe. Anyway, Olrick directs Pip to Miss. Pocket, whom Pip assures that her family is doing well. Miss Pocket responds with “ Are they any wiser?” (Pg. 234). This gives us insight to how Miss Pocket must not like her relatives. Miss Pocket then sends Pip to Miss Havisham’s classic room where Miss havisham is sitting in her classic chair in her classing wedding dress wearing her signature single shoe. Miss Havisham does not spend much time talking to Pip and quickly points out Estella, which makes me think that she doesn’t care about Pip and just wants to use him to love Estella. Also, on pip’s way out she pretty much begs Pip to love Estella. As for Pip’s reunion for Estella, he almost didn’t recognize her. “She was much changed. So much more beautiful…” (Pg. 235) Estella also seems to like how much Pip was matured, which makes their relationship much more romantic. Pip has once again fallen in love with Estella, but he hasn’t seen Biddy yet!

• Hailey, I really liked how you wrote about everybody Pip met and how he felt about them. You picked great evidence. Great question, when will we see Biddy again?

17. In chapters 27-29 Pip reunites with several characters. Pip was not looking forward to his reunion with Joe. It was quite awkward, with Joe bouncing between calling him Pip or Sir, and constantly playing with his hat. At the end of their visit though, Joe still tried to regard Pip with the camaraderie they once had. Joe also asked for Pip to come to Miss Havisham’s house the next day. When Pip was going to the coach he found out that he was going to be in the coach with two convicts. He recognized one of them as the convict he met not that long ago at the Jolly Bargemen. On the coach, he overheard the two convicts talk about how Pip’s convict went through with a secret transaction were he got two one-pound notes.when Pip got there, he was surprised by Orlick. Orlick started working for Miss Havisham. When Pip got to Miss Havisham’s room, Estella was so beautiful, he didn’t even recognize her. He obviously was falling for her, but she definitely did not reciprocate that feeling. Estella did not even remember how they were together as children. Pip fell in love with Estella even more when Miss Havisham manipulated him even more. All in all this shows alot about Pip’s character development, and the story’s plot development.

18. When Pip goes back to his hometown and visits people from his past and when people from the past visit him, it’s clear as day that their relationships have changed from when they lay interacted. The biggest change in my opinion was Pip and Joe’s relationship. By the end of the chapter, Pip has completely cut Joe out of his life! When Joe and Pip meet in London, it’s very awkward. Pip is still treating Joe as beneath him to an extent since he wants to make sure him and Drummle never meet. Pip also is very formal with Joe, even though they’re lifelong friends and brothers. Joe even admits it was an uncomfortable situation and that their dynamic has changed. You can tell by the way, they feel so disconnected they can’t even have an informal and friendly conversation. Joe is still his cheery, kindhearted, loving self though. But it seems Pip doesn’t care about how amazing Joe is since he doesn’t seem to mind dropping Joe for Estella. He’s so ashamed of Joe, that Pip believes that the only way he’ll get Estella to love him is cutting out Joe who is too common. This is also awful because Estella when Pip went home, rejects Pip saying she has no love in her heart and no tenderness . Yet Pip is still willing to sacrifice the relationship with people who raised him for her. Estella does treat him like more of a human being and not a punching bag, and doesn’t talk down to him as much. Nevertheless is still not really that kind to Pip and flat out rejects him with no remorse and Pip loves her even more. Now that Estella is coming to London, Pip wants her even more than before.

19. In chapters 27-29, Pip’s relationships with family and friends from volume 1 have definitely changed since Pip coming into his fortune and going to London. Joe treats Pip very differently now, calling him “Sir” all the time. Pip feels like they are drifting apart, and when Pip receives, the letter from Biddy, he doesn’t even completely want Joe to visit. “If I could have kept him away by paying money, I certainly would have paid money. My greatest reassurance was, that he was coming to Barnard’s Inn, not to Hammersmith, and consequently would not fall in Bentley Drummle’s way,” (218). Pip is ashamed of Joe. He even said that he would pay to keep Joe away if he could. Later, he returns to his home, (since he was called by Miss Havisham) but he decides to sleep in the Blue Boar rather than in his house. The next day, Pip goes to Miss Havisham’s house. He sees that Estella has drastically changed, and has grown into a young, beautiful woman. She no longer treats Pip with loathing and disgust, but at the same time doesn’t completely warm up to him. In fact, she says that she no longer feels anything for anyone, and she never will. She says that she doesn’t have a heart. She even says that she doesn’t remember most of their encounters when they were little. “ ‘You must know,’ said Estella, condescending to me as a brilliant and beautiful woman might, ‘that I have no heart —if that has anything to do with my memory,’ ” (237). Pip doesn’t want to believe this. Surely, someone as beautiful as her would have a heart. Finally, after much nagging from Miss Havisham, Pip feels that he and Estella are truly meant to be together. He believes that it is their destiny.

20. In chapters 27, 28, and 29, Pip reunites with many characters from the first volume of Great Expectations. In the beginning of the chapters, Pip receives a letter from Biddy that Joe is going to visit Pip. The reader learns two things from this. For some reason, Biddy is a “servant” now. Pip also does not want to meet Joe and would try to avoid seeing Joe if he could. Pip states that “If I could have kept him away by paying money, I would have paid money” (Pg. 218). Pip would rather bribe Joe into not visiting him instead of seeing the only person who truly loved and cared for Pip when he was still a “common” boy. This really shows the new relationship of Pip and Joe. The longer they don’t stay together and stay in contact, the more Pip seems to forget about Joe and pretend that Joe was never part of his life. However, when Joe tells Pip that Estella wants to see him, Pip immediately goes to Miss Havisham’s home. When Pip reaches her home, he is greeted by Orlick. Orlick left the forge to work for Miss Havisham. Pip asked, “‘Then you have left the forge?’ I said. Do this look like a forge?'” (Pg. 233). Since Orlick left the forge, this means that Joe is the only blacksmith in town. This also means that Orlick now works for Miss Havisham. Eventually, he sees Estella after many years. Estella has changed the most out of the all of the characters that Pip has revisited. Instead of being a rude, insulting girl, Estella has become a young woman. Pip says “But she was so much changed, was so much more beautiful, so much more womanly…” (Pg. 235). Estella is almost like a completely different person. Strangely enough, Miss Havisham tells Pip to “love her”[Estella] again and again. Although Pip does love Estella, Estella does not love him back. Estella specifically tells Pip that “I have not bestowed my tenderness anywhere.” (Pg. 238). Estella indirectly tells Pip that she will not love Pip even if Miss Havisham wants Pip to “love her”. Throughout these chapters, Pip learns how different some of the characters are, and learns that some are the same way as before.

21. In these chapters , Pip meats some of his old friends, and the people he grew up with. Joe comes to visit Pip in London. There Pip treats Joe much like how Estella treated Pip, and Joe realizes it. Joe sees that there relationship is gone and quickly gets on with the message he had come to say, sot that he can leave. Joe tells Pip that Estella wants to see him, and Pip starts acting a bit more like his old self, but the damage is already done, and Joe is already hurt, “You and me is not figures to be together in London; nor yet anywhere else but what is private, beknown, and understood.” (pg. 224). Pip is sad by this, and doesn’t know what to do. When he finally gets his act together and rushes out to apologize to Joe, Joe is already gone. On the way home, he was in contact with the person that gave Pip the two pound note in the Jolly Bargeman, all those years ago. He is now in chains and has an iron around his leg, and is wearing a uniform, and has a guard with him, marking him as a convict. Pip was scared the whole way back to his village, because he didn’t want the convict to recognize him, because Pip wasn’t sure what the convict would do to him if he did recognise Pip. “I thought what a blessed fortune it was, that hew had found another name for me other than Pip. The convict wasn’t a friend earlier in Pip’s life, but it was a large part of his life, for now he was once again scared that someone would try to get revenge on him. Then, at the Satis House, Orlick is the new Gatekeeper. Orlick says that he became the Gatekeeper, “‘One day is so like another here,’ he replied,’that I don’t know without casting it up. However, I come here some time since you left,’” (pg. 233). Again, Orlick was not a friend but they did work together in the forge for quite some time. Then, he goes up and sees Estella and Miss Havisham, there isn’t much talk about Miss Havisham, but she did tell them to go walk around in the garden and wheel Estella around a bit. This isn’t very different for how she acted before and it isn’t very important, I just wanted to make sure I got all the characters I recognized. At first, Pip doesn’t even recognize Estella, “The lady whom I had never seen before, lifted up her eyes and looked archly at me, and then I saw that the eyes were Estella’s eyes. But she was so much changed, so much more beautiful…(pg. 234+235)” And not only did Pip think Estella had changed, but So did Estella think that Pip had changed, “Is he changed? Miss Havisham asked her. ‘Very much,’ said Estella, looking at me,” (pg. 235). As they were walking Pip tries to talk with Estella, but is crushed when she doesn’t remember much of anything from their childhood. She says that there is no sympathy in her heart and that may be why she can’t remember these things, but Pip doesn’t believe that she has no sympathy. He can’t imagine something so beautiful having no sympathy. She calls im a dum boy and they go back up to Miss Havisham.Now as Estella goes to change, Miss Havisham is getting more attention, and she tells Pip top, “… Love her, love her, love her! If she favours you, love her. If she wounds you, love her. If she tears your heart to pieces… love her!” (Pg. 240). Pip, who doesn’t say he loves her, is kind of being pressured into loving Estella, and Pip does love Estella. He thinks they are meant to be. But now he is realizing that Miss Havisham also wants them to love each other. Pip thinks about Miss Havisham’s words and realizes that he does love Estella and says to himself, “I love her, I love her, I love her!’ hundreds of times,” ( pg, 243).

• I like how you said “the damage was already done”. It shows how things have changed in sort of a negative way. Nice job Remy!

22. All throughout chapters 27-29 we see a major change in Pip’s character development and how the plot will unfold. Pip’s character mainly revolves around his status and his new life now. When Joe came to deliver a message Pip was very much uncomfortable with his presence. The same traits were shown in Joe as well when he refused to call Pip by his own name but by “Sir”, “ ‘ Us two being now alone Sir,”-began Joe. ‘Joe,’ Interrupted, pettishly, “how can you call me Sir?’” (pg 223) Joe clearly doesn’t see Pip the same as well. Joe sees him higher up in society, however Pip feels the exact opposite during Joe. Pip must still have love for him, but he is so worried about his manners and his status that he is too worried Joe might mess everything up for him. Furthermore another place when Pip shows his traits is when he goes to see Miss Havisham who is very much the same now, but when he reunited with Estella he didn’t even recognize her at first. She was now more Beautiful and more mature now. Also she doesn’t treat Pip the same way now that he is uncommon. This makes Pip want her even more than ever. Estella herself told pip that “ I have no heart…”(pg 237) This did not stop Pip however he still loved her. Pips character really changes when Estella told him he can’t visit Joe and the forge anymore. It was like Pip forgot about the forge when he was told this. He did not show any love towards Joe at that point as well. Pip wanted to but deep inside he couldn’t. “Joe had brought the tears into my eyes; They had soon dried, God forgive me! soon dried.”All in all Pip’s character developed into someone who puts riches over family.

23. In chapters 27-28, we meet some of our favorite characters again. Joe comes to London to see Pip. Now that Pip is a gentleman, Joe feels he should treat him differently by calling him sir. Pip is against this and tells Joe, “how can you call me sir?” (pg. 222) However, at the end of their meeting the text states, “Our eyes met, and all the ‘sir’ melted away in our hearts… I want to be right, as you shall no more see me in these clothes. I’m wrong i these clothes…” Joe explains how they are different now, and though they are still friends, things have grown distant. Joe says how he wants to try harder and be like Pip, which is very different of him. Also, Pip’s relationship with Estella has changed. Miss Havisham tells Estella, “Is he changed?” this implies how Miss havisham encourages Estella to see how Pip is now a worthy gentleman. “Love her! Love her! Love her!…” (pg. 239). Miss Havisham says what we are all thinking. Estella doesn’t try to come off as interested but I can tell she is looking upon Pip now that he is a gentleman. On page 239 Pip says “She treated me as a boy still, but she lured on” However, it isn’t right of Estella to just have feelings for PIp now that he is a gentleman. We will see how PIp feels about this in further chapters.

24. In chapters 27 through 29, Pip meets with several people from his past, including Joe, the strange man from the pub, Estella, & Miss Havisham. The first person Pip meets with is Joe, who is visiting with Mr. Wopsle for a play that he is doing. Joe is very nervous and awkward, as always, and he keeps referring to Pip as “Sir.” This probably means that Joe feels he has to treat Pip differently now that he is a “gentleman,” even though they’re such good friends. “‘Us two being now alone, Sir,’ – began Joe. ‘Joe,’ I interrupted, pettishly, ‘how can you call me Sir?’” (pg. 222) This is unfortunate, because they had such a good friendship before. Joe tells Pip that Miss Havisham requests him to visit, now that Estella is back from studying abroad, so Pip does so almost immediately. When Pip is leaving to visit home, the coach is stopped so that two convicts can board as well, one of which, is the strange man from the pub, who gave Pip two 1-pound notes. He doesn’t recognize Pip, thankfully, but Pip is very nervous that he will. I wonder when we’ll find out how he knew about Pip’s convict and the file? When they arrive back at the marshes, Pip goes to Miss Havisham’s manor and everything seems to be the same with her, which isn’t surprising, seeing as time seems to stop at the Satis House. Estella is there as well, but Pip doesn’t even recognize her at first, because she has grown to be even more beautiful than before. Miss Havisham is still obsessed with what Pip thinks of Estella, and even pulled him aside and repeated, “‘Love her, love her, love her! If she favours you, love her. If she wounds you, love her. If she tears your heart to pieces – and as it gets older and stronger, it will tear deeper – love her, love her, love her!’” (pg. 240) This is alarming and blatant, yet it works, for Pip seems to adore Estella even more, even though she isn’t any kinder than she was all those years ago. Estella openly says that she “has no heart,” and doesn’t have any feelings for Pip, but he still chooses to pursue her hand, which I believe is foolish, because he could have someone who actually loves him back. In conclusion, Pip’s relationships with many people are changing, because of his previous actions and words.

• I’m sorry this is being posted so late! I had written it on Thursday night, but it was kind of late and I forgot to copy and post it. I was absent on Friday so it continued to escape my notice until now, while writing a post for Friday’s homework. Sorry again!