That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me.

Please read chapters 7, 8 and 9 of Great Expectations tonight, then respond to the prompt below:

Discuss Pip’s day at Miss Havisham’s residence, Satis House.  Whom does he meet?  What does he do there?  Consider the quotation above.  What great changes does Pip’s day at Miss Havisham’s house make in him?  Predict how this is likely to change him and the course of the novel.

As always, please reply to at least one other comment in this thread.

GE blog #3

44 thoughts on “That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me.

1. Pip goes to Ms. Havisham’s house for a day to “play”. Pip meets 2 different people at this house, in Ms. Havisham and Estella. Ms. Havisham seems to be a nice, old lady who is now living out the end of her life, relaxing and sitting in her house. She desires to see someone play, and that is the reason that she has Pip come to her house. Estella, however, is not as nice. She seems unhappy and angry that someone poorer than her is allowed to walk in her house, and seems to feel that she is above everyone who she is richer than. Pip is reluctant to play at first, but feels obliged to play when Ms. Havisham calls in Estella to play with him. Pip plays cards with Estella, and is made fun of and insulted by Estella when he calls knaves Jacks. Pip loses both times, and when Ms. Havisham asks Pip what he thinks of Estella, he says things that show that he does not think very highly of Estella. “I think she is very insulting…Anything else? I think I should like to go home”(Pg. 61). With these statements about Estella, it is obvious that Pip does not like Estella, and wants to go home due to Estella. The great changes that Pip might go through are that he will become much more self-conscious, and will start to notice the gap between the rich and the poor. “…I set off on the four-mile walk to our forge; pondering, as I went along, on all that I had seen, and deeply revolving that I was a common labouring-boy; that my hands were coarse, that my boots were thick, that I had fallen into a despicable habit of calling knaves Jacks…”(Pg. 65). Pip will start to feel jealous and wanting of what the rich have, and will try to cover up the flaws that he hadn’t even thought of before. He might start trying to act more professional around everyone due to seeing how the rich people acted, and might become more self-conscious and try to seem as educated as possible.

• William, I think you have great details and descriptions. I wholly agree with everything you said, though I think it would’ve been a good idea to mention the lesson Joe tells to Pip. Besides that, keep it up.

• I loved how you included that Estella is too good for the poor and feels that she is “above everyone who she is richer than”.
      I think that best explains Estella’s personality.

• I completely agree with all of your statements! You perfectly described Estella. I also like the interesting point you made about Pip starting to feel jealous of what the rich have. Great Job!

• Here is what I believe it says:
      “My dear Joe I hope you are quite well I hope I shall soon be able for to teach you Joe and then we shall be so glad and when I’m apprenticed to you Joe what larks and believe me inf xn Pip”

2. When Pip is taken to the Satis House, he meets Miss Havisham, an old and thin lady who wore wealthy clothing, and Estella, a proud and attractive young girl about Pip’s age. At his arrival, Miss Havisham says that she wants to see someone play. However, Pip was too uncomfortable to “play” there, and he calls Estella at her orders to come play cards with him. He is served bread and meat, and unleashes all his bottled-up feelings by kicking at the wall, pulling his hair, and crying. During his time at Miss Havisham’s house, he experiences many great changes. For instance, he is told that certain things about him are bad and unfavorable. Estella tells him that he has coarse hands, abnormally thick boots, and mocks him for calling knaves “jacks”. As a result, he becomes miserable, and wants to change and become “uncommon”. He also lies to Mrs. Joe and Mr. Pumblechook for what seems like the first time, which is a new thing for Pip. Finally, a very important lesson he learns is that if you want to achieve a goal, you can’t take shortcuts – he has to get there legitimately, with blood, sweat and tears. “If you can’t get to be oncommon through going straight, you’ll never get to do through going crooked.” (pp.72) I predict that this will change many of his decisions in the future, and if he hadn’t gone through these changes, the course of the story would be very different. For example, he might’ve kept lying and acting like an uncommon person, instead of working hard to become that person.

• My hope is that it doesn’t hold him back in the future, even though it’s more likely than not it will. It’d be a shame for someone as innocent as Pip to doubt himself because of other people.

3. In these three chapters of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, Pip goes to Miss Havisham’s house to “play”. When he arrives he is brought through a dark hallway to Miss Havisham’s room by Estella. When he enters her room he notices she is in a white wedding gown that with time has faded to yellow. She looked very old and had a droopy face and chest. After she talks with him a bit she asks him to play. Pip is kind of shocked at the request and doesn’t really know what to do. So Miss Havisham calls in Estella to play cards with him. While they are playing Estella tells Pip how is a very common boy with his thick boots and coarse hands. Then after they finish Pip is told to come back in six days. While Pip is waiting outside Estella brings him food and gives it him like he is a dog. Pip is very upset about this and starts crying and hitting the wall. He thinks how he is a common boy, like Estella said. Then he takes a walk and thinks he sees Miss Havisham hanging herself. He realizes it isn’t real. When he goes home he lies to Mrs. Joe about what he did at Miss Havisham’s. He tells Joe about his lies though. At the end when Dickens writes that he came to an understanding I think that means the he realizes he is a common boy. This will change him because he will try to lie to be uncommon. Also he may want to work harder to accomplish things. I think these chapters will be very important to the remainder of this novel.

• I really like your answer Abigail. Your response was very interesting, and I like your description. I liked the way you said that Pip was confused when Mrs. Havisham asked him to play. You’re doing great, keep it up!

4. Pip is taken to visit Ms. Havisham’s house, and is sent there to play. Ms. Havisham is a very old, wealthy women who wears expensive white dresses that have yellowed. Ms. Havisham asks Pip to play, but Pip feels too uncomfortable to be playing in her room. So Ms. Havisham invites Estella in who then is asked to play cards with Pip. Estella is a young women of around Pip’s age who is very prideful and mean. As they play, she mentions to Pip that he has very coarse hands and extremely thick boots. Before then, Pip had never thought that his hands were coarse or thought that he had thick boots, but after Estella, he loses a lot of self confidence. He starts to notice his imperfections and realizes that he is a very common boy. Upset, he hits the wall and cries after Estella had rudely given him food in the hall. I was surprised when Pip also starts to get angry at Joe. The text states, “I determined to ask Joe why he had ever taught me to call those picture-cards, Jacks, which ought to be called knaves. I wished Joe had been rather more genteelly brought up, and then I should have been so too.” (page 62) Furthermore, “… ‘but I wish you hadn’t taught me to call Knaves at cards, Jacks; and I wish my boots weren’t so thick nor my hands so coarse.’” (page 70)
    Pip asks Joe why he had been brought up like this and tells him that he wishes that he was “uncommon”. All in all, as a result of his visit to Ms. Havisham’s, Pip loses a lot of his self-confidence and starts to realize his imperfections.

• (Adding on)
      From this experience, I think Pip will grow into a stronger person, learning to deal with these criticisms and moving on with his life.

5. Pip is taken to Satis House, or The Enough House, where Miss Havisham lives in. This mansion is very dark and inhabited by Miss Havisham and Estella. While at the house Pip meets Estella, and Miss Havisham, both have which have not been seen by Mrs. Joe and Joe. Mr. Pumblechook briefly saw Estella who rudely dismissed him. Pip follows Estella as she holds a candle and guides him towards Miss Havisham. Estella is very rude and acts as if she is above everyone, and “can’t” be with people less fortunate than her. However, Estella is very beautiful and at first I believe Pip was blinded by that. Miss Havisham is a very peculiar woman dressed in all white, and unexposed to sunlight at all times. She seems fairly kind in comparison to Estella, and is very wealthy as shown by her house and clothing. Anyways, Miss Havisham quickly ordered Pip to play cards with Estella. While they played Estella pokes fun at Pip’s coarse hands, thick boots, and the way he calls knaves Jacks. The way that Estella is rude and insulting, while criticizing Pip’s low social class, infuriated me. Pip immediately became way more self-conscious of himself and insecure of his flaws. After Pip lost the games of cards, he was ordered to come back in 6 days. Estella led him out of the house, and soon he began to cry. When he got home, he lied to Joe, Mrs. Joe, and Mr. Pumblechook. After that, out of pure guilt, he told Joe the truth about the situation. Joe informed him that he should keep company with his own “class” for the present and tells him that he can succeed someday only if he takes an honest path. Finally, at night Pip can’t help himself from imagining how “common” Estella would find Joe. This scene definitely changed Pip as a person. He now will become more self-conscious of himself, while also listening to the advice given to him from Joe, and impressing Estella.

• I like how you said that Pip wants to impress Estella. How old is Estella? Did it say it in the book? She acted like she was a lot older than Pip.

• I love how you included that Pip was uncomfortable there. I wonder if he were more comfortable in the house if he would have taken Estella’s comments to heart or if he would hove just brushed it off.

6. At Miss. Havisham’s residence, Pip met two people; Miss Havisham and Estella. He liked Miss Havisham, but despises Estella. Estella made him cry when she criticized him about his hands and boots. She made him guilty of being a commoner for no reason whatsoever. Estella likes it when she makes people cry and feel sad. “I was so humiliated, hurt, spurned, offended, angry, sorry – I cannot hit upon the right name for the smart – God knows what its name was – that tears started to my eyes. The moment they sprang there, the girl looked at me with a quick delight in having been the cause of them.”(62) At the Satis House, Pip plays cards with Estella and loses both times. After his visit to Miss. Havisham’s, Pip feels as though he isn’t as good as the rich people. He feels that his hands are way too coarse, and his boots were too thick, although I’m pretty sure that Estella just said that to frustrate him. Pip for some reason is guilty for the way he is. I think that in his future, Pip will try to start changing the way he acts. He might get thinner boots, or try to fix his hands, or do anything to try to make himself as good as Estella.

• Good job Arina, I agree with a lot of the points you made and believe that you did great with backing these points up. I believe your view of Pip’s opinion of himself after his visit to Miss Havisham’s house are correct.

7. In chapters 7-9 Pip is sent to play at the Satis House with Mrs. Havisham. There, he meets Estella, a girl who was mean to him and made him cry. After Pip played cards with Estella, he was walking around the estate, and saw what looked like Mrs. Havisham, but hanged and dead, but soon the image went away, and he was sure it was all in his imagination. When Pip got home he lied to his sister and Mr. Pumblechook about what he did at the Satis House, and told Joe all about his lies. I think this effects Pip because in the first time in his life he is called common. This has and will change Pip throughout the course of this book. Pip is trying to find something that is unique about himself, and he has to learn that all though people might be called “common” we all have our unique differences that make us special, and I think Pip just has to find that in himself, and get past all the harsh words other people say to him, because there will always be people in life who want to let you down and criticize you. I think this will change the course of this book because Pip will have a better understanding of himself, and will be trying to find that trait that makes him special.

8. Pip goes to Ms. Havisham’s house because he is asked to come to “play”. Ms. Havisham is and old, wealthy woman who wears old white dresses. Estella also lives with Ms. Havisham. Estella is much younger than Ms. Havisham and has a very bad attitude. She was very upset over the fact that a poor person was allowed into the house. When Ms. Havisham instructs Estella to play cards with Pip they play “beggar”. The problems between Pip and Estella begin when Pip calls Knaves, Jacks. Estella immediately begins to make fun of Pip for being so stupid. Along with this Estella makes fun of Pip for his hands and his boots. Pip took this to heart and started to cry, but didn’t let Estella see him. He wasn’t going to give her the satisfaction of making him cry. This experience made Pip realize the difference between the rich and the poor. He is suddenly ashamed and self conscious of who he is which “changed him”.

• I agree on the fact that Estella’s insults and attitude toward Pip showed him the difference between the rich and the poor. Great response!

9. Pip’s visit to Miss Havisham’s house was not favorable, yet I believe it was eye opening for him. He meets Miss Havisham who is a peculiar old woman that seems to be stuck in time at the loss of her love. This is implied as she is still in her bridal gown and “I began to understand that everything in the room had stopped, like the watch and clock, a long time ago.” (page 60). Pip also meets Estrella, a young girl who he describes as pretty, insulting and proud. During his visit, Miss Havisham orders Pip to play which is pretty odd if you ask me. Pip seems confused at this and unable to play as he states “No ma’am, I am very sorry for you and very sorry I can’t play just now…but it’s so new here, and so strange, and so fine-and melancholy.” (page 59). Hence, Estrella is summoned to come and play cards with Pip. She insults Pip and even refers to him as “a common labouring-boy.” (page 60). Pip had never really thought about this before but Estrella’s comments make him think and he becomes self-conscientious about himself. I suspect that going forward, PIp will become more self conscious, which in turn will make him strive to be anything but “common.”

10. After reading about Pip’s visit to Mrs Havisham’s residence I think differently about Pip. These chapters talk about Pip’s inner beliefs and verify his belief of justice. When Pip and Mr Pumblechook arrive Pip is immediately let in however Mr Pumblechook is left outside. Since Mr Pumblechook is a somewhat important person his being OK with his refusal to be let in tells how much he thinks about Mrs Havisham. Mrs Havisham’s appearance as described “She was dressed in rich materials – satins, and lace, and silks- all of white…she had not quite finished dressing, for she had but one shoe on…her watch had stopped at twenty minutes to nine, and a clock in the room had stopped twenty minutes past nine.” The outfit she is wearing implies she cared for how she looked, but her being not fully dressed tells that she now doesn’t care as much. Estella seems to have been brought up in this kind environment of luxury and so thinks of a commoner as Pip as below her level. The way Estella goes along with what Mrs Havisham says tells me similar activities happen often in this household. Earlier Pip noticed all the clocks he could see said twenty minutes to nine I believe that time was a major changing Period for Mrs Havisham and is why she is like this. This chapter was very interesting but I feel like we will have to wait until later in the book until we understand everything that happened in this chapter.

• Devan, I really like how you said that these chapters backed up the recurring image of justice. Well done, and keep up the good work

• I agree with Aniket, it was cool to see you bring up the recurring theme that Dickens keeps hiding in the plot line with Pip. Great job on your response, it was really wonderful.
        -Ryan

11. Miss Havisham invites Pip over to her well protected house, Satis house, to “ play”. While there, Pip encounters Miss Havisham, an old lady, and Estella, an attractive girl who dislikes Pip’s qualities, and looks down on him. Mrs. Havisham is wealthy, and stays inside her house. She is kind to Pip and accepts him into their house, even though he is poorer than them. She desires to see someone play, and tells Estella to play with Pip. After winning both times, Estella insults Pip. Pip has nothing to say. “ What do you think of her?…..I think she is very insulting”( pp. 61). Estella, the other person he meets, is a snotty, rich brat. She dislikes Pip because he is poorer than her. During the card game, she insults Pip, and says that he has coarse hands and thick boots, which makes Pip feel very humiliated. “I was so humiliated, hurt, spurned……”( pp. 62). She obviously did not want Pip in her house. In the end, Pip lets out his anger by kicking a wall and crying. He wants to change. He even lies to Mrs. Joe and Mr. Pumblechook about Mrs. Havisham’s house, which is very surprising, based on how they treat him. He admits he lied to Joe.

12. In chapters seven to nine of “Great Expectations”, Pip is sent to play at the Satis House. The people living there are very wealthy. He travels there with Mr. Pumblechook. At the mansion, Pip meets two new people. They are Miss Havisham and Estella. When Estella opens the door for them, she allows Pip to enter her home, but rudely dismisses Mr. Pumblechook. Once Pip entered the mansion, he is guided to Miss Havisham. When he meets her, she is wearing all white clothes, and she asks Pip if he is afraid of her because she has never been out in the sun ever since he was born. Pip does not give much thought to it, and for some reason, Miss Havisham gets bored of him for that. She tells him to go play, and Pip gets confused. Soon, he plays “beggar” with Estella, and she makes fun of Pip for every little detail. She criticizes him for his coarse hands, thick boots, and calling Knaves, Jacks. She is so full of herself and doesn’t care about respect and other peoples’ feeling. If she wasn’t so pretty, Pip could have said many things about her that she wouldn’t like. It isn’t fair to Pip, and this enraged me. Even Miss Havisham asks Pip why he won’t say anything back to Estella. Estella made him feel guilty for being a normal person. This made him feel even more uncomfortable and sad about being there. Eventually, Pip starts to cry but doesn’t cry in front of Estella. Later, Estella taunts Pip by asking why he isn’t crying in front of her because he was crying before, and was nearly about to cry again. It was like she was purposely trying to make him cry. This is unacceptable. She shouldn’t be allowed to these things. In some ways, the situation with Estella is like the situation with Mrs. Joe. Estella makes Pip feel bad about himself, yet he doesn’t say anything even though they are relatively the same age. Instead, he goes to Joe for comfort. Mrs. Joe yells at Pip for things like asking too many questions, yet he doesn’t say anything to her either. Although Mrs. Joe acts like a “mother” to Pip, she is still Pip’s sister, and he should not be treated that way by his only sibling alive. Instead, he goes to Joe for comfort. In both situations, Joe is the only person who is not mean to Pip. Pip takes this to heart and tries to make himself a better person by Estella rude insults.

• I am so with you that I feel upset and sorry for Pip when he is made fun of by Estella. She is a cruel girl and hopefully now Pip knows the difference between good and bad people. Very well said!

13. Pip’s experience at Mrs. Havisham’s house was very strange to me. Mrs. Havisham was a very gaudy woman who wore silk, velvet and other extravagant materials. She wore what was described as like a wedding gown, with a long veil and all that. For some reason she really wanted to see children playing. Maybe it was because she was lonely and she either never had children, or her children moved out. She invited Pip and another girl named Estella. Estella had a very strong personality. She wasn’t very nice to Pip. She made fun of his coarse hands and his thick boots. This made Pip feel ashamed and I felt bad for him. This was because Estella thought she was too good for poor people like Pip. This made me really dislike Estella. Afterall, there is no reason she would be better than Pip. The children played for a while, and then Mrs. Havisham decided to ask Pip questions afterward about Estella. Pip grew uncomfortable with these questions and he wanted to leave. Pip said Estella was pretty, but she was insulting, which shows how he really feels about Estella. The part that made me feel the most sad was on page. 62, “I took the opportunity of being alone in the courtyard, to look at my coarse hands and common boots….I wished Joe had been rather more generously brought up, and that I should have been so too.” I think this is the first time Pip has seen the line drawn between rich and poor, and I predict he will see this more throughout the novel.

14. Pip’s visit to Miss Havisham’s house ended up giving him a new perspective on the world in a very profound sense. Many odd things occurred during his visit. Miss Havisham was an pale, frail, reclusive woman who had stayed within the confines of her manor for many years without ever stepping foot in the sun. When Pip had visited her, he felt awkward and out of place, as her room was very sloppy, and he was confused, as he did not know what he was supposed to do. “No ma’am, I am very sorry for you and very sorry I can’t play just now…but it’s so new here, and so strange, and so fine-and melancholy.” (59). During his time there, he played cards with Estella, an extremely vain girl about Pip’s age. She was constantly making fun of him at every opportunity she got, making Pip feel bad about himself. She made fun of the way he called knaves “jacks” in cards, the way his boots were too thick, his coarse hands, and the fact that he was just a common laboring-boy. Pip thought Estella was pretty, but she was also much too proud. When he returned home, he had talked to Joe about how he wanted to be uncommon and that he disliked these qualities, to which Joe had said, “ ‘If you can’t get to be oncommon through going straight, you’ll never get to do through going crooked,’ ” (72). This advice will change Pip’s life in a way none other could.

15. Pip goes to Ms. Havisham’s house after the strange request for Pip to “play”. Ms. Havisham is old and wealthy and is found wearing elaborate old white dresses. After a little while, we meet Estella, (in my opinion, she is spoiled and a brat), who thinks that Pip is inferior to her. She picks on him and ridicules how his hands look and how his boots look. She acts like she is the queen of the world and her aunt will do anything she wants for her. After this horrible day, poor Pip hides and cries, hiding away from Estella. He doesn’t want her to see him cry because that would be another thing she would make fun of him about. Also, when Mr. Pumblechook asks questions to Pip, you realize that not even Mr. Pumblechook who goes there quite often is not even “superior” enough to see Ms. Havisham. That day, Pip recognized the separation from the rich and the poor. How different it is. When Joe gets home, Pip tells him the truth. He tells Joe that he finds it unjust or not fair that he is common, he wants to be uncommon, And then Joe says, ‘If you can’t get to be oncommon through going straight, you’ll never get to do through going crooked. ’ This advice changed Pip’s mind and changed his outlook on life.

16. Pip spends a day at Mrs. Havisham’s, after Mrs. Joe and Mr. Pumblechook try so hard to get him there. While he is there, he gets to know Mrs. Havisham and the beautiful Estella. Mrs. Havisham is an older woman, but not old, and she is full of knowledge. She lives in a large house with two names Manor House and Enough. The house is very dark with little sunlight allowed in, but multiple candles light inside. Estella is a gorgeous girl with long brown hair and Pip first meets her, dressed in white in a dark room, where all the time has stopped. Together, they play cards, at Mrs. Havisham’s request and Estella insults the way Pip plays, how coarse his hands are and what he refers to the game pieces as. Yet, through all of this, Pip never insults Estella back. When Pip goes back to his house, later in the day, he is bombarded with questions from Mrs. Joe and Mr. Pumblechook. He starts going on and on about his day at Mrs. Havisham’s manor house. But, he lies about it to them. This changes Pip, because he usually doesn’t lie. But this time, he started making up elaborate stories about what he did and what the house and rooms looked like. Pip didn’t like the feeling of lying, although he continued to tell them lies. So, when he was alone with Joe later, he confessed. But, seeing Pip lie was a new side of him we had never seen before.

• Ryan, I like how well you describe the new characters and the setting, and I agree that this is a new side of Pip that hasn’t really been shown before. Well said!

17. Pip does not have a very enjoyable Exprience at Satis House. Miss Havisham is very disturbing and creepy. Reading her scenes made me quite uncomfortable, and has a very eerie presence to her. For example, Miss Havisham fancies watching people play, not playing herself, but watching others. It’s very peculiar and rubs me the wrong way. Pip also meets Estella, who runs me the wrong way as well. She looks down on the poor and not as educated, like Pip. She’s very cold to him unjustly. Estella refers to Pip as a young boy, despite being close in age, which tells me she is somewhat narssitic and has a superiority complex. She is way too proud, and thinks she floats above the rest of society. Unlike Miss Havisham who doesn’t flaunt her wealth, but kind of basks in it. Miss Havisham lets her expensive wear and appearance do the talking, and doesn’t bother to boast. I don’t think Pip enjoyed himself one bit. Firstly, Estella was very cold and rude to him for his entire stay. Also, Miss Havisham was very weird with Pip. She wanted to watch him play, and he didn’t want to play at all, and he asked to leave. I think Pip felt intimidated by Estella and Miss Havisham’s attitudes and wealth as well. I think this revealed how awkward Pip is, and he also seems tofeel anxious quite easily. I think Pip is going to be even more afraid and wary of new people. Especially after his experiences with new people throughout the entire novel. This seems like the icing on the cake. I also feel like Pip may feel insecure about his status and wealth after having to spend so much time with Estella.

18. When Pip goes to visit Mrs. Havisham, and to see Estella, who is very beautiful. The manor never allows sunlight in, therefore it is always dark. Pip is sent over there to play with Estella, but she bullies Pip. She targets how his hands are very coarse, his boots, and even what he calls the game pieces. This triggers Pip to hide and cry. I was surprised to read this because I would assume that if you were to invite someone over, it is respectful to be kind to your guest. What I didn’t find surprising was that Pip did not say anything nasty back to Estella. I think that this was another way that Dickens reinforced the fact that Pip is kind of shy and goodhearted. But then, we see Pip lie to Joe and Mr. Pumblechook about his playdate with Estella. But of course Pip confesses to Joe that he had lie, but I predict that Dickens will have Pip lie again, and his could become a reoccurring theme in the novel.

19. Pips day and experience at the Satis house wasn’t a very wonderful experience. Pip met two people at this house, Miss Havisham and Estelle. Miss Havisham was an old lady with white hair and bridal flowers in it as he described. She had a wedding dress that turned white to yellow and only had one show. Her face was also very old and sulking. Estelle was a proud and pretty girl. However she was a little too proud. She thought less of Pip because he wasn’t as rich as her. This ruined Pips day the most. She was so insensitive towards Pip that Pip later cried in the brewery. Pip was sent to Satis house to “play”. He played a card game named beggar and lost to Estelle. He was unhappy throughout the whole time and wanted to leave. After his “play” Pips point of view very much change. He now sees that going up in being less common and being someone who isn’t criticized s more important in life. Pip realized this when Estelle was rude to him because he was not rich and was too common. Pip never until this day saw how other classes of people saw him. He only saw how Pip saw himself. This will make Pip change his direction in life by making goals to become less common. He will try to be an uncommon boy instead of a common boy. He won’t take criticism so harshly now. In conclusion Pips sees a new way of thinking in life this is to be an uncommon boy.

20. When Pip went to Miss Havisham’s residence, he met two people. He met Miss Havisham, the owner, and Estella, her niece. Estella and Pip played cards together with Miss Havisham watching. She had a “sick fancy” of watching kids play. While they played cards, Estella kept insulting him. She thinks of herself above anyone that isn’t as rich as her. She insulted him for calling knaves Jacks. She said that he had coarse hands and thick boots, “…and she denounced me for a stupid, clumsy labouring-boy.”(p. 61) In return, he merely told Miss Havisham that she is very proud, pretty, and insulting. He felt hurt, so he wanted to go home. He started doubting himself. He started to notice his “flaws” and wanted to fix them. He became self-conscious and lost some of his confidence. He began lying to Mrs. Joe and Mr. Pumblechook. He asked Joe why he told him that knaves were Jacks, and told him about what Estella said to him. This great change will affect his life forever.

21. Pip’s day at Miss Havisham’s manor was quite strange, and when he thought back on it, he realized that it changed him from that day forward. His day began when he was led into the house and up to Miss Havisham’s room by Estella, her niece, who was very proud and thought that she was better than Pip, because he is just a “common laboring-boy.” When he entered Miss Havisham’s room, he noticed a couple of things. He first noticed that she was dressed in faded wedding garments, but there were several items that were just laying on her dresser, which looked like they had never been used. He then noticed that the two clocks in the room were both stopped at 20 minutes to 9, which made him think that everything in the room seemed to be trapped in time. Miss Havisham herself was quite strange as well. She was quite old, and claimed that her heart had been broken, which hints that it might have something to do with why she was constantly dressed in her wedding gown. She told Pip that she wished to watch him play, so she had him call for Estella so they could play cards. While they were playing, Estella made fun of Pip for having coarse hands, thick boots, and for calling the Knaves in the deck “Jacks.” Miss Havisham asked Pip what he thought of Estella, and he said, “‘I think she is very proud… Anything else?… I think she is very insulting… Anything else? I think I should like to go home.’” (pg 61) This shows just how poorly Estella was making him feel, and it led to how Pip changed that day. Later on, when he was walking home, he thought about the difference between the poor and the rich, the common and the uncommon. This was the first time he thought about any of this, which proves that there was a change in him. Furthermore, when he got home, he answered all of Mrs. Joe’s and Pumblechook’s questions with lies, which they believed, because they had never seen her before. This is very unlike Pip, who is usually very obedient towards the two of them. He didn’t want to tell them the truth because he was so frustrated and hurt by everything that had happened. Overall, Pip had a big realization that day, about the difference between how the rich and the poor live, and how he looks in other people’s eyes, besides his family’s.

22. In chapter 8, Pip is escorted by Mr. Pumblechook to the Satis house. The entire house is surrounded by tall fence and the windows are barred up if not outright built into a brick wall. There also appears to be an old brewery that has not been in use for a while, judging by the overgrown nature of it and lack of scents, smokes and aromas indigenous to a brewery. A girl whom Pip say to be about his age then walks up to the gate to let Pip in. Mr Pumblechook tries to enter, but is so firmly denied permission by the girl, that he has no choice but to helplessly turn around and leave. Pip notices the brick walkway to be “paved and clean, but grass was growing in every crevice”. When he enters the house, he notices right away that all the passages are completely deprived of sunlight. They would have been pitch black if they had no candles to light the way. By now, Pip has noticed that the girl acts much more mature for her age. When Pip enters the room Miss Havisham is, he first notices that it seems like a dressing room judging by the furniture. Miss Havisham herself was “Dressed in rich materials – satins, and lace, and silks – all of white”. Miss Havisham reveals that the girl’s name is Estelle as she calls her over. They then continue to play a card game after Estelle insults Pip as to say that he has coarse hands and thick boots. They played two games, both of which Estelle won, and then Miss Havisham asked Pip of his opinion of Estelle he said she was pretty, mean, and proud, and that Pip wants to go home. He is then let outside to have a lunch in the yard. When he finishes, he goes to investigate the brewery, where, for whatever reason, he saw Miss Havisham handing by her neck. When Pip looks again, it is gone. Estelle then opens the gate for Pip to leave. I believe that Pip is going to change in a sense of being more self-conscious and realize more of his situation. All this time, he had been somewhat oblivious of his unjust treatment, but now will take it to consideration.

23. Pip’s time at Miss Havisham’s residence is not at all pleasant. He meets Miss Havisham and Estella, and he quickly learns plenty about both of them. Miss Havisham is more relaxed and actually wanted to hear what Pip had to say about how Estella treated him. As said on page 61, “She says many hard things of you, but you say nothing of her. What do you think of her?” Pip quickly learns to dislike Estella because of the way she speaks to him. She finds every detail she can pick on Pip about and exploits it to make him question himself. On page 65, he says to himself “I was a common labouring-boy; that my hands were course, that my bones were thick; that I had fallen into the despicable habit of calling knaves Jacks.” He had never even considered these as problems in the past, and now he is resenting those aspects of himself. I surely hope this doesn’t change how he feels or presents himself as a person throughout the novel, even though it might make him feel lower than most people.