Young as I was, I believe that I dated a new admiration of Joe from that night.

Tonight, please read chapters 4-6 of Great Expectations and then please discuss the characterization of Joe here on our blog.   Make sure that you use ample, specific details from the novel to support your opinion.

Don’t forget to keep the conversation going by replying to at least one other response in this thread.

GE blog #2

55 thoughts on “Young as I was, I believe that I dated a new admiration of Joe from that night.

• I had always thought that Pip was lonely and had no friends or family whatsoever, but now that I think of it, it’s possible that he had friends. The sentence is saying that his sister thought that Pip had insisted on being born, although his best friends had dissuaded her that this was not the case. Hope this helps.

• From reading everyone’s comments, i have the information to say that one of those “best friends” would be Joe, since Pip considered him as his best friend. Hope that helps you.

1. In literature, there is always either indirect characterization, direct characterization, or both. This is the case when Charles Dickens characterizes Joe Gargery. Joe is the husband of Mrs. Joe Gargery, and for his living works as a blacksmith. He acts differently from the other adults in these chapters, in the sense that he is more friendly and kind, especially to Pip. For instance, he and Pip commonly use a symbol to show Mrs. Joe’s state of temper. He spoons over gravy to him during meals, and like Pip, dislikes going to Sunday services and wearing formal clothes, and also carries him on his back on the search for the convicts. Joe also strikes me as the forgiving type, such as when he says he wouldn’t have starved Pip’s convict, even though the man most like committed many terrible crimes like murder. Concerning the household, it seems as if Joe does not have much control of what happens. An example is when Joe says that he would take Pip, but only if Mrs. Joe agreed. He also is frightened of the convicts, as shown when he says “I’d give a shilling if they cut and run, Pip.” Although minor, Joe also has an accent making it hard for him to pronounce V sounds. Finally, I think Joe seems reasonably responsible. He accepts the job the sergeant tells him to do, and runs with them to do the job of catching the escaped convicts.

• Tony, I agree fully with all of your statements. I also think that Joe is more similar to Pip than he is with any of the adults, and that he also has some sense of responsibility as well. I feel that you explained Joe’s personality very well, and used some great examples to prove your statements. Great Job.

2. As the man of the house in ancient times, many would think that Joe would be the clear leader of the family. Instead, Joe is more of a companion of Pip, who keeps him company and talks to him about topics that they are both interested in. It seems to me that Joe hasn’t really grown up in a personality standpoint, and that he is able to relate more to a child such as Pip, than an adult such as Mrs. Joe. When Pip gets home from giving food and a file to the convict, he sees that “…Joe had been put upon the kitchen door-step to keep him out of the dustpan – an article into which his destiny always led him sooner or later…”(Pg. 22). This is an example of Joe’s childish personality, as he has to be treated like a child in order to stop him from messing with Mrs. Joe’s dustpan. Being interested and drawn to something as simple as a dustpan is an example of being a kid, and an adult would usually not be interested in objects such as dustpans whatsoever. But, I feel that there is also another side to Joe’s personality, where he becomes serious when he is either focused on his job as a blacksmith, or protecting Pip. When Joe, Mr. Wopsle and Pip venture out to find the convicts with the soldiers, Joe looked as if he felt a sense of responsibility to protect Pip, and therefore tried to help as much as he could to find the convicts. “…and there was Joe beneath me, charging at the ditches like a hunter…”(Pg. 34). Usually someone who has a childish personality would shy away from these types of situations, but Joe becomes serious and feels protective of Pip, and therefore tries to find the convicts in order to protect Pip. Joe mostly seems to be an adult who has never stopped being a child. But, when it comes to being a blacksmith, or feeling that he has to protect Pip, he turns into a serious personality.

• Great job Will. You did a great job characterizing Joe. :-). I like how you said that he also has a serious personality. :-).

• I totally agree with you. I feel that Pip has a special connection to Joe. I feel that Joe and his connection to Pip is special in the sense that he keeps his childish side and livens up the book with the way Pip gets so happy when he thinks about Joe. I think Joe is helps Pip because Joe is really Pip’s only companion in the harsh household Mrs. Joe has established. Overall, your point is a very good one, and i really like the evidence you have used.

• I agree with you, Will. Joe has two sides, the childish side and the more mature side. I liked how you included a quote in your response.

3. Charles Dickens indirectly characterizes Joe Gargery. He does not straight out tell the reader how Joe is, instead, he makes the reader infer through his actions. Even though Joe is a grown man, he still is very friendly to Pip, and tries to help him whenever it is possible. He shares a symbol with Pip to tell Mrs. Joe’s temper, which shows his rather childish side. “…secretly crossed his two forefingers…as our token that Mrs. Joe was in a cross temper”(pp. 22). Joe also does not enjoy being in his special occasion clothes. At the party, Joe gives Pip gravy to comfort him, as all the other adults in the room criticizes him. “ But he always aided and comforted me whenever he could…..he always did so at dinner-time by giving me gravy”(pp. 26). Also, Dickens shows his friendly side when Joe says that he wouldn’t have starved the prisoner either. He doesn’t try to get Pip in trouble, like Mrs. Joe. Even though Joe is a grown man, and he is Pip’s brother in law, he still has a childish and friendly side to him.

• I fully agree with your response. Joe is very fun, caring, and playful. I also believe that Joe does love Pip very much and the same vice versa. Great Job!

4. Joe Gargery was directly characterized in the novel Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Joe is portrayed in the story as a kind, playful, and caring man. In the household Joe isn’t the leader of the house, as his wife, Mrs. Joe is. Joe works as a blacksmith and acts very differently than all the other adults around him. He is a very close companion to Pip and frequently interacts with him. In the story, Joe always seems to care for Pip and connect with him on a personal level. He pokes fun of Mrs.Joe’s temper, nicely communicates with Pip, spoons Pip gravy, and carries Pip on his back. In addition, Joe needs Mrs. Joe’s approval to bring him to the churchyard. In contrast, Mrs. Joe is very rude to Pip and doesn’t treat him with much respect. Joe also completed the task given to him by the soldiers to fix the handcuffs. He did this very quickly without hesitation on Christmas Day. What would you do if soldiers came to your house and asked you to fix their handcuffs on Christmas? I know I wouldn’t do it. Finally, at the graveyard Joe admits that he too would give the convicts food need in order to survive. As you can see, Joe Gargery is a very kind, playful, and caring man.

5. Joe is the husband of Pip’s sister and a blacksmith. He and Pip are very similar and they are friends. They both hate wearing formal clothes and both dislike Mrs. Joe’s temper. Joe can tell when Pip is upset or needs comforting. “But he always aided and comforted me when he could, in some way of his own and he always did so at dinner-time by giving me gravy, if there were any.”(26) This shows the relationship between Pip and Joe. Although Joe is an adult, he can act very much like a child. I’m sure that this is one of the reasons why he and Pip are as close as they are. Pip sees some type of friend in Joe, even though his guardian is much older than him. Joe also feels a sort of loyalty to Pip, as though he needs to protect him. Pip is very grateful of that. Pip is lucky to have someone like Joe to care for him when his sister does not.

• I agree, Joe is very loyal to Pip and feels the need to protect him. However, I have to disagree, I wouldn’t call Joe “childish”. Although Pip and Joe have similar personalities, it seems like Joe is more mature in certain situations.

6. Joe is a father-figure to Pip. He always stands by Pip’s side and Pip trusts him and believes that he is his best friend. Unlike the other adults (the guests), Joe doesn’t talk much and is very quiet, and more casual. He doesn’t wear formal clothes but took pride in his work as blacksmith. “In his working clothes, Joe was a well-knit characteristic-looking blacksmith.” (page 23). He spoons gravy onto Pip’s plate when all the adults tells Pip how to behave and to be grateful to be brought up “by hand”. Joe is very loyal to the King, and doesn’t hesitate to help fix the handcuffs. Furthermore, he is kind. He defends the convict and Pip when he states that the convict was welcome to eat the pie, as he would never let anyone starve. Pip doesn’t really feel the need to “follow” Joe as he feels the need to with his sister. However, he sees Joe as a best friend. “The fear of losing Joe’s confidence, and of thenceforth sitting in the chimney corner at night staring drearily at my for ever lost companion and friend, tied up my tongue.” (page 43) Pip does not want to let Joe down and lose their healthy friendship.

7. In chapters 4-6 of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens the character Joe Gargery is characterized. Joe is close to Pip because they are both treated the same by Mrs.Joe. Also Joe is caring to Pip. He spoons Pip gravy and carries Pip upon his back when he gets tired of walking. Also, when the sergeant comes into the house and asks Joe to fix the handcuffs he says yes without hesitation. This shows Joe is hardworking and kind. Dickens also paints a picture of Joe in our minds. Joe usually wears beat up clothes because he is a blacksmith. When he wears a full suit on Christmas he is described as a “scarecrow in good circumstances”. I think that means he looks awkward in them probably because he is used to beat up clothes. Dickens also describes his clothes as follows “ Nothing that he wore then, fitted him or seemed to belong to him…” This implies the Joe is a very big man because the clothes don’t fit him. I think Joe will be a very important character in this book because he is so important to Pip. Pip seems to have no other friends to talk to or relate to, so he may resort to Joe later in the book for advice. Also Joe is an important father figure to Pip. Pip’s father died when he was a baby so Joe is the only father Pip knows. Without Joe Pip wouldn’t have a loving, caring person for him. Joe is kind, hardworking, loving, and caring man.

• I totally agree with you in the sense that Joe and Pip have a special connection because of the way that Mrs. Joe treats them. I believe that that was the reason that Dickens includes the part about Joe crossing his fingers.

8. Initially, I thought Joe was a benign player in this story as he seems weak, foolish, and unimportant. However after reading further into the novel I believe I have been misjudging the true character of Joe Gargery. I came to realize that Joe is a considerate, kind hearted, loving man. This is shown at Christmas and according to Pip whenever company came to the house, “He (Joe) always aided and comforted me when he could, in some way of his own, and he always did so at dinnertime, by giving me gravy, if there were any.” (page 26). Throughout that Christmas dinner, Joe on several occasions gives Pip more gravy as it signifies a type of comfort from the abuse he is receiving from the other adults at the dinner. The strength of Joe is revealed also as “There I was, on Joe’s back, and there was Joe beneath me, charging at the ditches like a hunter, and stimulating Mr. Wopsle not to tumble on his Roman nose and to keep up with us.” (page 34). Also, we see just how kind Joe is as he is forgiving of the convict for stealing. “God Knows you’re welcome to it-so long as it´s mine returned Joe with a saving remembrance of Mrs. Joe. We don’t know what you have done, but we wouldn’t have you starved to death for it, poor miserable fellow-creatur.” (page 40). Lastly, Joe enables Pip to feel love.“But I loved Joe perhaps for no better reason in those early days than because he let me love him.” (page 41). After reading these chapters, I believe that Joe will have a significant impact on Pip and how Pip matures.

• Matthew, I completely agree with you. At first, I also thought that Joe was going to be an insignificant character. However, as I see the way he gives gravy to Pip multiple times for Pip’s comfort (like you explained), I think that he will greatly impact Pip’s growth.

9. In chapters 4-6 in Great Expectations, much is revealed as to what kind of a character Joe is. As already is known, Joe is married to Mrs. Joe, Pip’s mother, and works as a blacksmith in the town. In many ways, Joe is similar to Pip. They both are rather turbulent and somewhat timid, as we don’t see Joe participate much in the conversation at the dinner table on Christmas Eve. Both Pip and Joe also have a strong sense of knowing what is right to do. When the dinner is interrupted by soldiers looking to repair handcuffs, Joe starts working right away without complaining or refusing, recognizing that it is his duty to do so. However, when it comes to strength, even taking into consideration both of their approximate ages, Joe is far stronger and more capable than Pip. It could be that Joe recognizes the similarities between him and Pip. He might look at Pip and see a version of himself. As we are told by Pip of Mrs. Joe “to be in the habit of laying [her hard and heavy hand] upon her husband as well as me”, showing that she also hit Joe. As Joe is stronger and more capable, he could feel an empathy for Pip and as a result tend to be on his side and help him in any way he can.

10. In literature, there are major and minor characters. At first, Joe does seem important in the story. Joe is the town blacksmith and is the husband of Mrs. Joe Gragery. However, as the story progresses, the reader realizes that Joe is a special character. He acts differently than all of the adults in the story (so far). He is friendly and considerate to Pip. In many ways, he is like Pip. Both Joe and Pip do not want to wear formal clothes to go to church. Also, Joe is sly in the way that he makes Pip feel better about himself. In the Christmas dinner, many of the adults criticize children. Since Pip is the only child at the dinner, he is the person who the adults talk about. To make Pip feel better, Joe gives him gravy every time he is insulted/criticized. Also, when Joe realizes that Pip supplied the convict with food, Joe is very forgiving. Joe’s act of giving gravy is somewhat like when Pip steals the food for the convict. Pip is very secretive just like Joe. Also, when Joe realizes that Pip supplied the convict with food, Joe is very forgiving. Not only is Joe considerate to Pip, and sly, he is strong although he is portrayed weak in the beginning of the story. In the story, he able to carry Pip on his back. Although in the olden times, the men used to be in command of the family, Mrs. Joe Gragery is in charge because Joe is still in many ways childish. Joe is mature at times, but he definitely behaves immaturely. If Joe was more mature, maybe Mrs. Joe Gragery would not be so strict, mean and commanding. Joe is a peculiar character that has a diverse personality. He helps Pip build his personality and mature throughout the first few chapters.

• I agree about what you say however I don’t think in the beginning that Joe seems important (You may have had a type-po). I do think Joe is a mature person, he may not resist Mrs Joe Gargery but I think that is a smart move. If he always resisted Mrs Joe there would be lots of tension which is not good for anyone in the household.

11. Everybody, has a moment in their life when they need a friend. In Pip’s case, I feel that Joe is that friend. Joe Gargery, the husband of Mrs. Joe Gargery (Pip’s sister and guardian), and the brother in law of Pip is considered a valuable friend of Pip. This is because Joe understands what Pip’s life is like and cares for Pip. Also, Joe is like Pip in a sense that they don’t like to stand up to someone and for that reason they are treated like children. Pip feels like he can trust Joe and feels secure when around Joe. He gives Pip the confidence that he needs to survive. Unlike most adults, Joe doesn’t like to dress up fancy and go to church. He doesn’t criticise Pip like everyone else, instead he keeps silent. For instance during Christmas dinner everyone was telling Pip that he is ungrateful when he should be grateful, Joe addressed that situation properly and tried to keep Pips attention off of what they are saying so that he doesn’t scream aggressively. I feel that Joe acts childish sometimes only because he is treated like a child by Mrs. Joe Gargery. At times, Joe can be a very serious and a very hard working man. Joe is not only caring to Pip but he was also caring toward the old man when he eat the pie. Joe responded in a calm voice, that he did indeed need food and that it wasn’t a big deal that he ate their pie.

12. I believe that Joe is a unique character. For one, he is quite different compared to all the other adults in the book so far. Although he is a strong blacksmith, he has a big heart. He treats Pip not as a child, but as a close friend, or son. When Pip’s convict lied that he stole his food, instead of complaining to him like some would do, he says, “We don’t know what you have done, but we wouldn’t have starved you to death for it, poor miserable fellow-creatur.” (p. 40)
    He may be strong, but he doesn’t seem to be like someone who would be a leader. He simply let his wife take control of the house. He seems to have no intention to taking action. If Joe wasn’t a blacksmith, I would have thought that he was scared of her. Yet, he isn’t. I bet he could easily overpower her, but he doesn’t seem to care. It is as if he likes to let someone else be in charge. He is a pretty laidback guy.

• Abigail, I really like your point about his big heart, you could really tell that he was a loving man when you broke through his shell. I also agree with the fact that you said he was different than the other adults because, as far as I can tell, he seems kind of like a big kid, in a way that the other, snobby adults can’t be. Great job on your piece!
      – Ryan

13. My first impression of Joe is that the is much different than the other adults in the novel. He is surprisingly nice to Pip, considering that Mrs. Joe is not. I think that what makes Joe so nice to Pip is that Joe is a kid at heart. He dislikes going to church and dressing up, just as children do. This gives Joe a special connection to Pip. It seems like Pip and Joe are just trying to “survive” Mrs. Joe’s craziness together with their secret hand signals and Joe comforting Pip with loads of gravy at dinner. While all of the other adults were interrogating Pip and telling him how grateful he should be, Joe doesn’t join in. He just keeps giving Pip more gravy. Since Pip’s father is dead, Joe is also Pip’s father figure which is another reason that him and Pip have a special connection.

14. Joe Gargery is a interesting man. In my opinion, it was hard to get a sense of what kind of personality he had at first. But once I continued reading, I came to see how much he can love and care about people, like the way he does for Pip. I found it very ironic, how loving Joe can be. Joe, being a blacksmith, is probably very tough and has a big, built body, seeing as how they were most likely the strongest people in the villages at this time. It was strange but nice, to see him be sweet to Pip, because that’s not what you would expect from the looks of someone like Joe. It was very sweet of Joe when he would pass Pip the gravy boat every time it got uncomfortable in the conversation. It was a very small gesture but a kind, nonchalant gesture indeed. In one of the first pages in these multiple chapters we read tonight, Pip mentioned his “best friends”, I think that although I’m sure Pip probably has some friends his age that he plays with, Joe was also a close friend in Pip’s eyes. So, it was nice that Pip was able to feel that way about someone. It was also very sweet to read about, when Pip was deciding whether or not to tell Joe the truth about giving the food to the convicts after stealing from Mrs. Joe. It was thoughtful, because it showed that although Pip wanted to do the right thing, he wasn’t willing to lose someone like Joe because he needed Joe in a way that maybe he wasn’t able to explain. Within the three chapters we read tonight, we got to see just how loving Joe can be towards Pip and how they had this un spoken connection between the two of them, that it was them against Mrs. Joe, seeing as she was pretty much the head of the household. I think Pip definitely needed someone like Joe in his life. Due to Pip’s lack of Parents and family, having Joe was the closest thing he had to a brother or father and he needed that. Their relationship, just goes to show you, how kindhearted of a man Joe could be if he got to know and love you.

• I would agree that Joe came close to being a father to Pip, but I don’t know about him being a brother. Usually, older brothers bully their younger siblings, so I’m not so sure that if Pip had an older brother he would behave with the same loyalty towards Pip. I mean, we saw how well that worked out with Pip’s sister!

• What you say about older siblings bullying younger ones isn’t necessarily true. I have an older brother and we get along great. I agree with Joe seeming like an older brother. He treats Pip kind of like how my brother did to me when I was younger.

• I agree with all of your ideas especially when you describe Joe’s physical attributes and how his characteristics have nothing to do with his fit and bulky body type. Good job!
      – Anjali

15. I think Joe is a character that, although minor, has a big impact in “Great Expectations”. Joe is someone that Pip loves because Joe always tries to be friends with Pip. I think to Pip, Joe is the closest thing he had to a father. Joe really tries to help Pip, and shield him from Mrs.Joe, and Joe really helps Pip when all the other adults call him a pig and were treating him badly ” Swine, pursued Mr. Wopsle, in his deepest voice, and pointing his fork at my blushes, as if he were mentioning my Christian name “Swine were the companions of the prodigal.” I really do believe that Joe really helps Pip, and Pip really loved Joe, and I guess that Joe really was the only person Pip loves in what family he has left, and I understand Pip, for Joe really is a genuinely good person.

16. darted a look at him, and, when her eyes were withdrawn, secretly crossed his two forefingers, and exhibited them to me, as our token that Mrs. Joe was in a cross temper,” (22). On top of this, Joe is caring and sympathetic. He barely even cared when he learned the convict ate his food. “ ‘Then I’m sorry to say, I’ve eat your pie.’ ‘God knows you’re welcome to it — so far as it was ever mine,’ returned Jow, with a saving remembrance of Mrs. Joe. ‘We don’t know what you’ve done, but we wouldn’t have you starved to death for it, poor miserable fellow-creatur. — Would us, Pip?’ ” (40).

• Sorry whole thing wasn’t entered.
      Should be:

Joe seems to have a personality very similar to Pip’s. After all, he seems to understand him better than anybody else in the novel. Even though Joe is Pip’s father, he acts more like an older brother, and ironically, Pip’s older sister, Mrs. Joe, seems to act more like a mom. Pip and Joe even have a code to tell each other what kind of mood Mrs. Joe is in. “Joe, who had ventured into the kitchen after me as the dustpan retired before us, drew the back of his hand across his nose with a conciliatory air when Mrs. Joe darted a look at him, and, when her eyes were withdrawn, secretly crossed his two forefingers, and exhibited them to me, as our token that Mrs. Joe was in a cross temper,” (22). On top of this, Joe is caring and sympathetic. He barely even cared when he learned the convict ate his food. “ ‘Then I’m sorry to say, I’ve eat your pie.’ ‘God knows you’re welcome to it — so far as it was ever mine,’ returned Jow, with a saving remembrance of Mrs. Joe. ‘We don’t know what you’ve done, but we wouldn’t have you starved to death for it, poor miserable fellow-creatur. — Would us, Pip?’ ” (40).

17. Joe Gargery is caring and is very close to Pip as a friend. In my opinion, he also acts like a father figure to him as well. They both equally share in their sufferings and have to hear Mrs. Joe’s rants and complaints, but they both make jokes out of it. Also during the meal, Joe constantly gives Pip gravy because he knows that it is very agitating to hear every elder say, that Pip should feel grateful that Mrs. Joe raised him. In that sense, Joe understands Pip and is not like every adult. He doesn’t treat Pip like he’s a baby either. Earlier in the book, Pip mentions he has bast friends, although he may have friends that he may play with, I think Joe plays a huge role in the best friend role. Pip does want to tell Joe that he stole food, but I think Pip knows that he doesn’t want to lose a special, unspoken relationship with Joe he has right now.

• You did a great job! I agree with all your ideas here Anjali. Especially the fact that he is very much like a father figure for Pip. I like how you really show how Pip feels towards Joe in the book.

18. In this time period men gained money while woman took care of everything. That is why it surprises me that Joe is not in control of the house and also is subjecting himself to the punishments Mrs Joe Gargery distributed in the previous chapter. Joe seems less like the other adults and more like Pip. One major difference between Pip and Joe is that Joe seems more mature also Joe being a blacksmith is physically very strong while Pip seems small and weak. Joe seems a sympathetic and an understanding figure as shown when “Joe gives me(Pip) more gravy.” Their symbol used when Joe wants to give Pip moral support. Joe seems however to be somewhat of an outsider in relation with the other adults. This is backed up when on page 26 it is stated “Joe’s station and and influence were feebler(if possible).” While talking about Joe’s position at dinner. During the dinner Joe does not add anything to the conversation. This is due to Joe’s understanding the conversation would be negative about Pip and he is different from other adults because he likes Pip. Joe also is shy because he does not speak about his opinion about Pip publically.

• I agree with you Devan. I think Dickens did an excellent job showing how Joe is like a fatherly figure to Pip, while he is also a friend to him as well. At times I feel bad for Joe because of his isolation, but seeing his relationship with Pip makes me feel like he is happy just the way he is.

19. I really like the relationship that Dickens built between Pip and Joe. So far, Pip is pretty timid, and fearful. Seeing him act comfortably with a character such as Joe who has a lot in common with Pip really lets the readers see Pip’s personality, as well as Joe’s personality. And we also see Pip’s character development, and the different ways Pip can behave.

20. For Joe, however, he really likes Pip, and they seem to have their own ways of communicating. For instance, on page 22 when crossed his two index fingers together to tell Pip that Mrs. Joe was very cross that day. At dinner when the family visited, I noticed how Joe would give Pip more gravy every time a relative would want to give Pip a lesson, or when Mrs. Gargery would intimidate Pip. Also, in chapter five, I noticed Joe helping Pip by carrying him on his back, and whispering to him.

21. Joe is very much characterized and presented in the novel as a not only a father type of figure to Pip, but also a friend. Pip remarks how much he loves Joe in chapter 6, and feels quite ashamed for stealing from him, even though that was what was right. But also Joe is a very kind hearted, caring man, who sees a good in all people. When the convict remarks how he had eaten Joe’s pie, Joe isn’t upset, he understands every man must eat, convict or not. He lacks the capacity to hate others, even his wife who is very awful, and even a convict. Joe is also very childlike, he acts similarly to Pip in many ways. He hates formal dress, dislikes going to Church, and eats messily. Joe also has this good natured quality too him, like how in chapter 2, he won’t rat out Pip because he believes they are friends. Even the convict despite appreciating what Pip does for him, he tells the group and Joe what Pip did.Joe isn’t very much like most adults. He’s the strongest, buffest guy in the town yet he really is the kindest, sweetest,
    and most empathetic, but still quite mature especially compared to other adults like Pumblechook.

• Maya, I agree with all of your points about how Joe is childish but mature at the same time, and about the irony of him being a blacksmith but also being very kind and sympathetic. Great analysis!

• I agree that Joe is different from the other men in town. The fact he wasn’t mad about Pip stealing the pie really shows his kind heart. I also like how you included that Joe isn’t perfect, he doesn’t like church and he is messy too. Very well done!

22. Throughout this part of the novel Charles Dickens mostly shows Joe’s characteristics through indirect characteristic. Joes actions so far show that he has both comforting and forgiving qualities in his nature. Especially towards Pip. Firstly Joe shows that he is comforting when he comforts Pip in his own way when all the other adults make remarks about him. “But he always aided and comforted me when he could, in some way of his own, and he always did so at dinner time by giving me gravy, if there were any. There being plenty of gravy today, Joe spooned into my plate at this point half a pint.” Joe really shows that he cares about Pip. He made him feel happy when others made him feel bad about himself. Joe is probably more compassionate towards Pip than his own wife. He knows just how to make Pip feel better through gravy. He is truly a great friend towards Pip. Another example of his characteristics is when he shows his forgiving side. “ ‘Then I’m sorry to say, I’ve eat your pie.’ ‘God knows you’re welcome to it… we don’t know what you have done, but we wouldn’t have you starved to death for it, poor miserable fellow creatur.’” Joe didn’t show resentment towards the convict, instead he showed a more loving nature. Joe knows there is no point in keeping resentment. Mrs. Joe on the other hand would not do this forgiveness, she would show the utmost anger towards the convict. Joe was probably happy that he had confessed and let it be after that. This makes him a good role model for Pip, especially when he does things like this. All in all all these characteristics show that Joe is a good person at heart.

23. Charles Dickens is really wonderful when it comes to characterization. To me, the character of Joe Gargery seems like he has a few ironies about the way that he handles situations or treats Pip. First of all, Joe is a blacksmith, which is a pretty important title in those times. I mean, the King himself sent soldiers to ask Joe to inspect a pair of faulty handcuffs, those of one of the escaped convicts. However, at home, Joe has very little say in what happens to himself or Pip. Instead of suggesting to maybe only send Pip to church, he goes along with what Mrs. Joe tells him to do, even if it’s not really fair or doesn’t make him happy. This sort of immediate obedience reveals that Joe is quite like Pip, and quite child-like. Not necessarily childish, but very similar to how a child would respond to an adult’s directions. Joe is also very kind and forgiving, even though he seems to have married the least kind and forgiving person he could have. During Christmas dinner, all of the adults (besides Joe) kept turning the conversation onto Pip and kept nagging him about things that either didn’t really matter, or things that are so obvious that it wasn’t even necessary to nag him about. Every time something like this happened, Joe “…always aided and comforted me when he could, in some way of his own, and he always did so at dinner-time by giving me gravy, if there were any.” (pg 26) By the end of dinner, there must have been no gravy left, because it was all on Pip’s plate. You would think that because Joe is a blacksmith, he would be big and powerful seeming, but in reality, he was quite small seeming compared to the other adults. It was almost as if Joe was a child too. Although no one tried to turn the conversation on him, no one tried to even have a conversation with him to begin with, as if he wasn’t even there. To conclude, I think that this shows how child-like and kind Joe is, even though the other adults in his life are the exact opposite

24. To me Joe is very different than Mrs. Joe. He really isn’t mean and harsh. He is a nice guy, but he is very simple minded. He is a talented blacksmith that is going to serve the king by fixing one of the locks I’m pretty sure. I do think Joe loves Pip, but has an interesting way of showing it. He doesn’t really flat out say he loves pip, he just cares for him and talks to Pip. Pip sees Joe as the closest thing he has to a parent, and he really does love Joe. Joe lets Pip go on the hunt for the convicts. He also was offering Pip gravy and desserts at the dinner, making sure Pip had a good meal. Joe is a nice guy and I really don’t see why he would marry Mrs. Joe, because they are both so different.

25. Throughout chapters 7-9, Pip was invited to go “play” at the Satis house. The Satis house is different from what Pip usually sees. This house is a mansion with a rich family inside it. The family consists of Miss. Havisham, a woman who has loves everything to be in white, and Estella, who Pip believes is the niece of Miss. Havishman. As Pip enters to play with Estella, Estella seems unamused and bothered that someone as poor as Pip is in the presence of her. Just as the time goes by, Pip and Estella play cards. After Estella wins both games, Estella talks smack with Pip and says in a harshful tone, that his boots are too thick, that Pip is stupid for making a mistake, his coarse hands, and insults him like he is a dog, in which makes Pip feel bad. Later that day, when he comes home, Mrs. Joe and Mr. Pumblechook ask him how the day was. Instead of telling the truth, Pip has the confidence to lie about what they did. Pip soon tells Joe that he lied to them. After the day he feels ashamed with himself. He kept looking at his hands and questioning himself on why his boots are so thick. Joe reassured Pip and told him that it is okay. Pip then says that, that day was memorable. I think that Pip said this because he realized how different the two classes, the rich and the common, act. This will probably help Pip in the future because he could possibly want to change the stereotypes of every commoner being the same and he would want to make rich people not able to have an excuse when talking poorly to others just because they are different.

26. In the chapters, 10 and 11 we meet a lot of new characters, Mr. and Mrs. Camilla, Sarah Pocket, Cousin Raymond, The light red haired boy and The stranger that talked with Joe. With these new characters, brings multiple new plot lines, and chances for other possible plot lines. With the stranger, we read how Pip thinks that he must’ve known Pip’s convict because he had Joe’s file. I think that something big is going to happen with the stranger and that maybe he gave the shillings to Pip from the convict for a payment for the food he made Pip steal. Ms. Havisham is crazy as ever, and she is celebrating a birthday. I am a little confused as to how it is her birthday, if time doesn’t change there, unless it is always her birthday. But anyway, she has friends with her and they all get to see where she will want to lay when she dies, and that when she does die, she wants to be in her bridal dress, near the bridal cake. I still think that we are going to see more from that side of the story and that the wedding theme will pan out even more than it has as we continue to get deeper into the story. We got to see new characters and get to know their ideas in these two chapters. I think that the story is definitely going to unfold way more, or fully as we get closer and closer to putting ideas together.

27. Mr. Joe, as we know him from what we’ve read, is an understanding character. Throughout the chapters we’ve read, we see him time and time again help Pip as if he is a friend and not someone who should be setting examples. He likes to help Pip feel like he belongs to the family and not feel upset or out of place. This is suggested when on page 26. It says “But he always aided and comforted me when he could, in some way of his own, and he always did so at dinner, time by time giving me gravy if there were any.” This shows he feels sympathy towards Pip and doesn’t agree with what is said about him. Also, he carries Pip around during the time when the soldiers were looking for the convicts. Page 34 shows this perfectly when “a bitter sleet came rattling against us here on the east wind, and Joe took me on his back.” I think this is his way of getting Pip away from all the hurtful remarks that his “family” makes about him at the table.