“I don’t know where people got the idea that characters in books are supposed to be likable. Books are not in the business of creating merely likeable characters with whom you can have some simple identification. Books are in the business of creating great stories that make you’re brain go ahhbdgbdmerhbergurhbudgerbudbaaarr.” —— —–John Green

Describe your favorite character in the best book you read over the summer.  Give as complete a description, both physical and psychological of your character.  Why is he or she your favorite?  Of whom does this character remind you?  Don’t give too much away; you don’t want to ruin the book for someone else!

Now, I know you’ll all be wondering how long your response should be, and really there is no simple answer.  Most blog responses tend to be about 300 words, some less, some more.  Also, please be careful to proofread your writing. Blogs are somewhat less formal than an essay, but this is still a school assignment.

In addition, please be sure to respond to at least one other comment in this thread.  If someone has discussed a character you also know, respond!  Just be careful to avoid any spoilers!

17 thoughts on ““I don’t know where people got the idea that characters in books are supposed to be likable. Books are not in the business of creating merely likeable characters with whom you can have some simple identification. Books are in the business of creating great stories that make you’re brain go ahhbdgbdmerhbergurhbudgerbudbaaarr.” —— —–John Green

1. So! A favorite character from a book I read this summer is…..Dina from “Adam Bede” by George Eliot. Yes, I know the title of a book should be underlined, but I can’t get the computer to do that, so I quotated it. So I improvised.
    I absolutely loved this book. I had read it many years ago and sometimes I am disappointed by a reread, but not this time. Dina is a preacher woman who is so calm and kind to others. In some ways, she is almost too perfect. But there is another character who acts as her foil, Hetty, who is beautiful, but silly and in contrast, Dina seems even more lovely. We learn from her that being a good person truly is more important than being pretty. In fact, beauty can be a curse.
    When I was younger I probably didn’t understand that part of the message of the book, and that’s ok. We all learn new things as life goes on. That’s what makes life interesting.

• One of my favorite characters of all time is Will West from the Paladin Prophecy by Mark Frost. He was funny and intelligent which made my enjoy reading that series. The book series itself was the type of fantasy that I enjoy reading including real life aspects but also magic and monsters.

2. My favorite character from a book was Celaena Sardothien from the book Throne of Glass. Most fantasy/dystopian novels have a “strong, independent” heroine as the main character, in reality their extremely boring or just Katniss from the Hunger Games, but not really written as well. But Celaena is very witty, clever, and funny. She makes a really good book even better, because she’s really humorous, and also super sarcastic. She’s a really fun character. She has long blond hair, blue eyes, and is still very feminine especially for an assassin, instead of the typical pseudo-masculine female hero.
    She’s also brilliant, and cunning. Celaena actually makes smart decisions and isn’t selfish like most other fantasy main characters. Celaena is also compassionate and loyal. She’s so funny, smart and witty, it’s so hard to hate her. But she still flawed, she’s very blunt and immature in a funny way though. Celaena doesn’t stay stagnant, she matures very nicely.

3. A book I read this summer is called “Life Without Limits”. It is written by a man born without limbs. His name is Nick Vujicic and the story is about his goal to inspire people with his story. He has brown hair and no arms and legs. He kind of has half a left foot that he uses a lot. What really amazed me was that he was so thankful for half the left foot. Nick is really so positive and I really like that. He went on tour and shared his story with thousands of people. When he was kid he spent most of his time feeling bad for himself. Then one day he heard of a boy who was bound to a bed. That boy couldn’t even waddle with half his left foot. So now he inspires people, I know he inspires me!

4. A favorite character i have is Day from the book “Legend” by Marie Lu. Day is a criminal mastermind who doesn’t care about what people think about him. He is not only this but he is one of the smartest characters in this book. His personality is not only relatable but is appealing. Day knows how to get out of the most dangerous situation and is very sneaky. Also Day isn’t just a criminal, but he has compassion as well. He always sees his family first and always goes to check on them

5. A favorite character I had over the summer from a book was O-lan from “The Good Earth”. The Good Earth tells the story of a man named Wang Lung who is a farmer in 1930s China. The story tells of how him and his wife build up their farm and become wealthy over the course of the book. Wang Lung’s wife is a woman named O-lan. O-lan is a selfless woman and spends her whole life devoted to Wang. Although “plain” in the words of her husband, O-lan does many things for him. She cooks and cleans for him, and although he is thankful, he never really appreciates her. O-lan is my favorite character because she truly works for others and I admire her for that.

6. My favorite character from a book I read was Imogen from Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld. Imogen is a caring girl who has a passion for writing. Her girlfriend, Darcy Patel, has difficulties due to her being a young author yet Imogen’s kind heart tries to help Darcy in anyway. Imogen changed her name to Imogen in honor of her high school best friend who passed away. At the end of the day Imogen can get mad but she will always come back for whoever really needs her.

7. My favorite character from a book I’ve read this summer is Phineas from A Separate Peace by John Knowles. The book takes place at a boarding school named The Devon school, in New England, at the time leading into World War ll. It is written about all of the boys who have been living and studying there. Phineas is a student at the boarding school. although he is not the main character or narrator, he was able to touch my heart because of the personality that he has and the life that he brings to the story. Finny, as his friends call him, is a very athletic kid, he loves all sports and is always up for adventure. He takes people on trips, starts clubs and fun activities for all the boys to engage in. He is everyone’s favorite and very popular around the school, although he is not very smart. Due to of all of the sports that he is good at and participates in, he has a great build, he is tall and he is handsome. He is a very good looking kid for his age. During the book, he goes through a very traumatic experience, that could eventually change his entire life. When he does, it makes you love him even more and your heart aches for the boy he once was, and tries to continue on being. It is really interesting to see how the coming war affects every single one of these boys. He is my favorite in the story because I want to be best friends with him, I think it would be so fun to accompany him on some of his games and adventures and would love to experience some of them, not all, alongside him. In a way, he reminds me of what I would have thought my dad was like at his age, I think my dad was definitely more cautious but I think they had a similar spirit. In this way, it was really very fascinating to see him as a character and a younger version of someone I know very well. I love Phineas and this book, I recommend it to anyone who thinks it might sound interesting.

8. One of my favorite characters from a book I read was Helmuth Hubener. He was brave. He knew the difference between right and wrong. Helmuth could see through Manipulation and lies. Helmuth was the main character in ” The Boy Who Dared”, By Susan Campbell Bartoletti. In this World War 2 Historical fiction book, Helmuth was very brave and sacrificed his life so people could know the truth, and see through lies. Helmuth was 16 years old, short, with dark hair and dark eyes. Helmuth was my favorite character because he made the book have more meaning. Overall, Helmuth is a my favorite character in this book.

9. My favorite character from a book I’ve read is Harry Potter from the “Harry Potter” series by J.K Rowling. He has messy hair, green eyes, and is skinny. Harry Potter is my favorite character because he’s talented, brave, and always tries to do the best thing for his world of wizards and witches. He can cast powerful spells and is also the protagonist in series, which is one of my favorite series. I love the book because there’s always plot twists, intense moments, and is funny. This character also reminds me of Percy Jackson, who was also thrust into a destiny he did not choose. They both have lots of talent and are the heroes. I have read “Harry Potter” many times, and each time I understand more and more. I still love it the same as when I first read it, even though I know what happens.

10. My favorite character from a book I read this summer is Speth from All Rights Reserved by, Gregory Scott Katsoulis. I thought this book was fantastic and truly recommend it. Speth is the main character of the novel. In a world where every word is copyrighted and cost money after your 15th birthday, Speth keeps silence and creates a movement for other people. Her actions were unheard of and sparked lots of controversies. The community also set up a reward as a way to make her talk. I admire her bravery to pave her own path and stand up for what she believed in. Speth did not back down no matter what. In addition, the fact that her parents were serving community service for debts, and she was under-privileged adds a lot of sympathy toward Speth. All of these aspects above about Speth is why she is my favorite character.

11. My favorite character from a book I read this summer is Augustus Waters from
    The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I bet most you read this book as I am very late to the trend, but I will still describe this character for those of you who didn’t. Hazel joins a support group where she meets Augustus. Both of them are about 16 years old and are both suffering from cancer. Being forced to join the support group, Hazel doesn’t expect much. However, the character of Augustus Waters caught both our eyes. This metaphor-loving young man has an extraordinary personality and always thinks of his loved ones before himself. I would marry him if I could.

12. My favorite character from a book I read this summer is Mare from Red Queen. She is just so brave and determined and cares so much about those she loves. She is a complex character. The story is that Mare lives in a dystopian society where you are ranked in social class based on the color of your blood, red or silver. Although Mare had red blood, which meant she was lower class, she had powers like silver blood people. This forced her to live as a silver princess under a fake identity, all while being a part of a red-blood secret group that planned to take over the silver kingdom. Mare is always doing what is right for others, especially her family. She can fight and be sneaky, but also has a sensitive side you don’t see to often. She is also quite romantic and although she is forced to marry the prince Maven, she ends up really liking him and he even joins the guard. (secret society of reds)

13. In my favorite book I have read over the summer, All The Bright Places, my favorite character is Theodore Finch, also known as Theodore Freak. He has an older sister named Kate and a younger sibling named Decca. His parents got divorced, as his dad is with another woman, named Rosemarie, and their son, John Raymond, who he thinks is very spoiled. He is very fascinated by death and is a bookworm.
    He fell in love with a girl named Violet, who he met on top of their school’s bell tower. It was unclear who had saved who from falling off the tower. They got to know each other over a school project, and soon, they fell in love with each other. They went on “wanderings” together, and explore the land. Finch helped Violet let go from her pain of the death of her loved one, and Violet actually made Finch feel alive. When Violet learned about Finch’s dilemmas, she used everything in her might to help him. Alas, it wasn’t enough. In the end, his soul was brought to another world and left this one behind.
    He’s my favorite character because he’s different. It isn’t like some fairy tale where there was always a happy ending. Theodore Finch has to deal with the cruel things in life, and he’s really affected by it, even if no one noticed. The book tells me the struggles in life for those that aren’t heard, just ignored or teased. Yet, even though he’s hurt, he tried his best to help other people. He may be called a freak, but he still has a big heart.

14. My favorite character that was in a novel that I read this summer is Jace, from City of Glass, by Cassandra Clare. Jace is a Shadowhunter, who’s job is to protect humans and other shadowhunters from monsters such as werewolves, vampires, and more. Jace is my favorite character in this series, for the reason that he has 2 drastically different sides to his personality. Most of the time, and with most people, Jace shows absolutely no emotion. To most of his friends and family, he is a person who acts like a robot, and only cares about his job and what he has to do to complete it. He completely shut out everyone from his personal thoughts, and seemed as if he didn’t care about his emotions, or other people’s emotions. But, the main character, Clary, is able to unlock the real side to his personality. Usually, Jace came off as a cold person, who would harshly criticise and angrily shout at anyone who gave him trouble. But, the person closest to him, Clary, knows that his true character is that he is extremely soft and cares about his family and friends deeply. He feels that it is his fault whenever someone close to him is hurt, and takes every single failure to heart.

15. I didn’t read a great book over the summer but I did read Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson, a couple of months before. I love this book because it shows the adventure of Leslie and Jesse. This book takes place in the 1970’s in a small town called Lark Creek. Jesse, an artistic boy, lives in a small house with four girls. He is constantly called a”sissy” by his father because of his love for art. His new neighbor, Leslie, is from a very affluent family. She has a wild imagination and in my eyes, bold. She stands up to anyone who comes in her path and she is not afraid of anyone either. It shows the adventures of these two children and how they build a secret fantasy world called Terabithia. Leslie supports Jesse to overcome his insecurities and helps him embrace his wonderful artisitic ability. These two friends support each other and forget about their life outside Terabithia. At the end of the book, it brought me to tears, and I usually I don’t get emotional about any book. For those who haven’t read the book, I won’t spoil it for anyone. The plot was so carefully planned to make the reader emotionally involved and at the end it just tears you apart. I read this amazing book over a while ago and I still remember it to this day.

16. A favorite character from a book I read this summer is, Will (Treaty) from the “Ranger’s Apprentice” series by John Flanagan. Will is an orphan who, at first, doesn’t know much of anything about his parents. He always dreamed of his father being a great knight who died in the war against Morgarath. Because he believed his father to be a knight, Will wanted to join the battle school to train as knight like his father. Will was not accepted to be trained because he was to small and frail to be believed to become a knight. Instead he becomes the apprentice of the mysterious ranger Halt. Will quickly becomes a very good apprentice and is astonishingly good at moving fast but unseen. He also becomes a very quick thinker, as he needs to be able to react quickly. I really like Will’s story because he shows that you might be good at something you never thought of before, and the thing you want the most may never be what you want after you are introduced to something new.