May 25 2017

I am amazed and know not what to say.

First you must read Act III, scene ii all the way through and then comment.

As we have done before, though, I am not providing a prompt for this blog.   Rather, I would like you to create your own conversation here.  You must write a comment either addressing a topic, line, or issue about this scene (or any previous scene) and respond with depth to at least one of your classmates’ blogs.

Let’s continue our class discussions on line and see where the conversation takes us.

Be thou not amazed!

MND blog #4

Copyright © 2016. All rights reserved.

Posted May 25, 2017 by equinson in category Midsummer Night's Dream

38 thoughts on “I am amazed and know not what to say.

1. christophert3

After having read the rest of Act III in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, I realize that in order to fix the problem of Lysander being in love with the wrong girl, they just used more of the potion instead of neutralizing its effects. I must also say that it’s annoying that we know what happens in the play because it doesn’t leave much room for one to wonder. But, going back to the play, I found it surprising, and quite sexist, that they described the women, Hermia and Helena, as the possessions of Lysander and Demetrius on the last page of Act III, scene iii. One of the ways Puck describes it is, “The man shall have his mare again.” I must also say that it was weird that the girls didn’t try to sort out what was happening. They were both yelling at each other for their own reasons, which were also shouted out, but neither denied the other or questioned what was happening to the men they loved. They just continued using their Shakespearean styled insults. These are somethings that I noticed.

Reply
  2. Toa Neil

After reading this I must say that I have issues, for one the solution is a the same time too easy but worrisome. Like for example, how did they know another dose would overwrite the other it could have caused more problems. Also the girls just get shafted as they don’t know what is going on.

Reply
  3. francescaa

Compared to the number of things that happened in other acts, Act III was flooded with events. The mechanicals go in the woods to rehearse, Bottom’s head gets turned into a Donkey, Titania falls in love with him, Puck puts the potion on the wrong Athenian, Helena and Hermia have a fight, and in the end everything gets resolved. Perhaps the most entertaining thing that happened in this act was the full out fight Helena and Hermia had. For friends to insult each other that badly you know something went terribly wrong. Another thing I found quite hilarious was just Helena in general. This girl just cannot make up her mind. First she says men should be pursuing women. Then, when Lysander does that exact action, she believes he’s mocking her. This makes me wonder in Helena was bluffing when she told Demetrius that he should be the one pursuing her. Did she just say that because she wanted Demitrious to feel bad? Or did she genuinely mean it?
    Another time Helena made me laugh was when she thought that Demetrius, Lysander and Hermia were all ganging up on her. First of all, Hermia was practically on Helena’s side when it came to love. Hermia didn’t want to marry Demetrius and told him that she had no feelings for him. In all honesty, I think she was trying to get Demitrious to forget about her so that he could go and marry Helena. So, for Helena to think that Hermia was trying to tease her just shows how desperate Helena is. She is acting erratically and tore apart the friendship she had with her best friend because of it. Good thing Puck can reverse the effect the flower has, because if he couldn’t everything would be left in a gigantic mess.

Reply
    1. avae1

I also found Helena’s character to be quite amusing and interesting. Before the potion went into effect Helena just wanted some attention and for some man to pursue her, particularly Demetrius. However, when both Lysander and Demetrius went after her, she completely rejected them and was convinced they were mocking her. I also wonder why this is so. Her reaction is equally comical as it is confusing to her persona.

Reply
  4. ilyssal

As Chris wrote earlier today, it was strange knowing what happens in the rest of the play because of the ballet. It was also hard for me to understand why the antidote for the love potion was just more of it. I am unsure as to why that was thought to be a good idea. Logically, it does not make any sense. Why would you try to cure anything with more of it? How could that possibly make the situation better? The amount of time they spent using the same potion could have been spent researching and trying to develop an antidote or something that would reverse the effects.

Reply
    1. alekhya

I see your point Ilyssa. So now my question: Is Lysander’s love for Hermia now induced by a drug? Or did the potion really work as an antidote so that Lysander loves Hermia the way he used to?

Reply
  5. arihantp1

I was surprised by how the Ballet made it easier for me to understand the text. When I first read Act III Scene ii, I was confused on how Puck was able to fool both Lysander and Demetrius into fighting each other, mostly due to the many stage directions. But after watching the Ballet, I understood how Puck managed to pull that off a lot better. However, it didn’t make sense how more of a love potion was able to reverse the effects of a love potion. Logic and reason are usually absent in dreams, and since the story is “Midsummer Night’s Dream”, it makes sense for this to work due to the context of the play. Overall, the Ballet surprisingly helped me a lot in comprehending the text a lot more.

Reply
    1. tarika1

I also found the play helpful in understanding the play. At first I was confused on all the character and who loved who, but after watching the play, I understood it better. In the play they clearly contrasted Hermia and Lysander wearing blue, and Helena and Demetrius wearing red. This detail they chose to include in the design of their performance made it easier to understand. Also them making the love potion a big, bright red flower made it easier to identify it. If they made it an eyedrop of some sort, it would be confusing. The play made many scenes more understandable and helped in the reading of the book.

Reply
  6. faithw

Act iii, scene ii is a great example of the theme that true love’s path isn’t always smooth. Helena loved Demetrius, Hermia loved Lysander, and both Lysander and Demetrius loved Hermia. The love triangle shifted after Puck interfered by slipping a love potion to the wrong person. The magic caused Lysander and Demetrius to establish feelings of affection for Helena. Helena immediately thought that Lysander and Demetrius were mocking her. Hermia, on the other hand, was confused when the two men, who used to love her, fell in love with Helena. Lysander and Demetrius planned to fight each other in this scene so that the winner would gain Helena’s heart. Puck’s unfortunate error brought out the worst in all of the characters. However, as seen in last night’s ballet, true love overpowered the obstacles and allowed the characters to marry their soulmates.

Reply
    1. francescaa

Love definitely come with bumps and bruises. I think the play did a great job of portraying this theme, which is quite incredible since the only source of communication with audience was through dance and music.

Reply
  7. caias1

The ballet definitely made it easier to understand Act III. The lovers in this scene did not really not do anything in this scene but fight with each other. Helena and Hermia fought with each other because of Demetrius and Lysander, and the boys fought because of Helena. Puck’s potion just made their love cycle more confusing, since they are now also fighting over each other. Another thing I did not understand was how another dose of the same potion was supposed to erase the first dose given to the group of lovers. Is every amount anointed on them only temporary? I wonder if the amount of the flower juice on their eyes will affect them in later years.

Reply
    1. charlottes

I also found that watching the ballet helped me understand what was happening. There is so much confusion in act III, and seeing it first hand really did the job for me as well. I love how you decided to talk about the ballet, because no one before you in this thread had anything to say about it. That little touch of creativity made your comment very original and interesting. Great Job!

Reply
  8. sofiad1

A part of this act I felt to be interesting was that Puck was pretending to be the other Athenian man when they couldn’t see each other. It seems as though it could have been for two reasons. One was that it could have simply been for his own amusement, which was how I had understood it in the ballet. However, he could have also done it to tire them out so he could fix his mistake. I can=ould not read the situation enough in order to figure out what it could be.

Reply
  9. avae1

As all problems were solved and all confusion settled in Act III scene ii, I couldn’t help but notice who truly caused this peaceful resolution. Robin Goodfellow, better known as Puck, is the mischievous, playful creature in “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” who is always causing trouble. His initial mistake was dropping the magical nectar into Lysander’s eyes rather than Demetrius’, causing Lysander to fall in love with Helena. Although before this occurrence, Lysander and Hermia were in love, and Demetrius was in love with Hermia. This gave Hermia three options, either marry Demetrius, which she was opposed to, die, or become a nun. All of these options were undesirable for both Hermia and Lysander. However, when Puck messed up the first time it required an antidote, and this antidote secured the love lives of all four lovers. If Hermia, Lysander, Demetrius, and Helena had not all been put to sleep once more, that is when true dissatisfaction would begin. Lysander and Hermia would still be together, but somewhere outside of Athens as they ran away. Demetrius would still love Hermia, and probably heartbroken from the fact that she had fled, and desperate Helena would still be craving Demetrius’ love. When the mistake was reversed the result was beneficial for everyone. Therefore, we blame Puck for causing this mess located deep in the woods, but we can also credit him for the now prosperous life of the four lovers.

Reply
    1. francescaa

Yes, it seems like Puck always gets the wrath of being “the mischievous one” but in reality he has done some good. We got to give him some credit because he fixed the mess he made.

Reply
  10. alexo

As we discussed in class, this Act of the play displays the rough course that true love can take. The entire scene was mostly just the 4 lovers fighting over each other, just like we expected. When looked at from our perspective, I see all the fighting as rather petty. These are rich, well-brought people, and yet when it comes down to it they can’t handle a conflict well. At the same time, you can’t really blame them. Puck messed around with their whole love situation to the point where Hermia thinks she’s getting made fun of! At a certain point, however, they end up fighting simply because they feel bad and don’t know how to deal with it.

Reply
  11. maddy

Act Three further portrays the theme of irony. Lysander and Demetrius loved Hermia, yet both men currently detest her due to their newfound infatuation for Helena. Hermia and Helena’s role reversal is purposed to depict how convoluted romance is. Likewise the murders of Mercutio and Tybalt, deciphering the root of this situation is very complex, with variant answers. It can be disputed that Puck is at fault, for he mistakenly sprinkled the love potion on Lysander’s eyes, yet was supposed to do this to Demetrius. However, it was Oberon who ordered Puck to use the love potion, and he did not specify on whom. A variety of others can be held accountable. Alternatively, perhaps there is one person ultimately culpable.

I was additionally intrigued by the character Puck. It appears that he is the only character finding the love situation humorous. Puck presents himself as a rowdy boy who takes matters lightly; honing in on the humor and upside of occurrences. Shakespeare wrote “Midsummer Night’s Dream” as a comedy, which induces me to wonder if Puck is vicariously voicing Shakespeare’s thoughts — indirectly narrating.

Reply
  12. charlottes

In tonight’s reading of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” a number of things went wrong, and most were the aftermath of Puck’s mistakes. The story progresses and becomes more funny and interesting every time Puck makes a mistake. He puts the love potion on the wrong man wearing Athenian attire and accidentally causes Titania to fall in love with Bottom (who now has a donkey head). In my opinion, Puck’s missteps are the things that keep the play fun and lively. When nothing seems to be happening, like when Hermia and Lysander are going to run away, and Demetrius doesn’t love Helena back, it doesn’t quite grab my attention until Puck skirts on in and messes everything up. That may be why everyone loves Puck so much – no matter what bad thing happens, he is always somewhere in the story (usually the cause).

Reply
    1. eshap

I agree, although Oberon scolds Puck for his mistakes, the play would have no interesting plot had Puck done the right thing in the first place. He creates a more playful environment, wanting to cause mischief all the time.

Reply
  13. briannag3

In this reading I noticed how Puck was the one who caused all this chaos, and then eventually ended up fixing it. However, when I first started reading this play I expected it to be much longer. Unlike Romeo and Juliet which had almost five scenes in each Act, in Midsummer Night’s Dream there are only around two to three scenes in each Act. I expected there to be more conflict than what just happened but it seems that I was mistaken. After Act three (which was shorter than expected) the problem between the four lovers was resolved. The only thing else I can see happening in this play is the conflict between Titania and Oberon. I’m excited to see how they will resolve their issue, or not.

Reply
  14. laurena2

In all of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, many problems are caused and solved. Most of the problems are created by Robin Goodfellow (aka. Puck). Puck is the type of guy who means no harm, but always finds a way to make a normal situation chaotic. In act III, many of these problems are resolved. I found it very interesting how Puck solved the problems, rather than how they were caused. Instead of actually solving the problems, Puck reversed the problems to get a different solution. Instead of trying to convince Lysander, he used the potion to make Lysander fall in love with Hermia. It was the potion that caused all the chaos in the first place! Because A Midsummer Night’s Dream is a comedy, it was known that there would be a happy outcome. Therefore, all the events in the book were not as mysterious and fun as that of a tragedy.

Reply
  15. ivanl

In the reading, Puck has a very large role when everyone is in the woods. Puck messes around with Lysander and Demetrius when they are trying to fight one another. He imitates one of their voices, and then runs off in the opposite direction, causing them to go in opposite directions. I also found it very interesting that in the reading, that more love antidote reverses the effects of it, instead of strengthening it. He is able to reverse of the previous damage he had done to the 4 lovers, and now they are all in love with each other, basically making up for his mistakes earlier on in the play.

Reply
    1. willowm

I am also interested in how the love potion works. I think that applying more doesn’t necessarily reverse the affects from the previous application, but instead acts much stronger making the other relationship seem insignificant. This reminds me of how in love Romeo was with Rosaline before he met Juliet. After meeting Juliet he developed a love so strong that he forgot why he ever loved Rosaline in the first place. After reading two differnt plays by Shakespeare it is clear that he includes many similar themes, including the complicated nature of young love.

Reply
  16. willowm

In Act III scene ii, I was interested in the cause-effect relationships that created this whole mess. Originally, Lysander and Demetrius were in love with Hermia, and Helena loved Demetrius. Once Oberon saw how heartbroken Helena was that her love with Demetrius was not mutual, he ordered Puck to give Demetrius a love potion so he would fall in love with her. Puck was given a loose description of the man he was supposed to give the potion to and accidentally gave it to Lysander, causing him to fall in love with Helena and out of love with Hermia. This was the most substantial cause of the young lovers’ problems. Puck’s mistake reversed the relationships. He doesn’t seem to be concerned about his actions, and it leads me to believe that some of this is for his own amusement. For example, he made Titania fall in love with a man with the head of an ass named Bottom, which is -so far at least- nonessential to the story line. After he caught Oberon up on all he had done, Puck became aware of his mistakes, to which he responded “And so far am I glad it so did sort, as this their jangling I esteem a sport.” This means that he is glad things turned out the way they did because it is entertaining to him.

Reply
    1. adam

I agree. This is a very complex scene with a very mischievous Puck. I like how you pointed out how Puck recognized his mistakes. Good examples and quotes

Reply
  17. cameronl3

A huge problem that I see in the play is the “love” that Lysander has for Helena. This is especially bad due to the fact Lysander already has a significant other in Hermia. The magic liquor from the flower was put into Lysanders eyes while he was asleep, and the first woman he saw was none other than Helena. As I was reading this I felt like nothing could go more wrong. Lysander is unable to realize what has happened for him, and is completely in love with Helena, who believe he is mocking her. She also is unable to understand what had gone wrong with Lysander. This leads to Hermia and Helena getting into a quarrel, but they made no urge to try and fix the problem, rather they continued to argue and argue. This is a huge conflict in the novel that foreshadows many possible concequences in the future of the play.

Reply
    1. Kat

I agree, if Puck had not put the flower on the wrong Athenian eyes then Lysander wouldn’t have fallen in love with Helena, and Hermia would not be left alone. Also Helena wouldn’t think that she was being mocked, and she wouldn’t be in a fight with Hermia.

Reply
  18. marinas1

In this scene, the subject of the different social classes continues to reappear again and again. In this scene, Puck makes fun of the mortals: Lysander, Demetrius, Hermia, and Helena. He finds their chaotic happenings quite foolish (albeit hilarious). He says “‘Helena is here at hand, and the youth, mistook by me, pleading for a lover’s fee. Shall we their fond pageant see? Lord, what fools these mortals be!'” Although these fiascos may be just as dim-witted as Puck thinks they are, Titania and Oberon are absolutely no better. They are causing disruptions in the weather all due to a little Indian boy who they both want to keep for themselves. On top of that, as payback, Puck makes Titania fall in love with Bottom, who, at the time, is donkey-headed. These happenings are, agreeably, just as vacuous as that of othe mere mortals. Yet, Puck still has the need to have prejudice towards the humans. In the end, however, the mortals and the fairies are exactly alike, even though they are from different social classes.

This idea reaccurs during a previous moment in the same scene. When Puck is talking to Oberon about what he did with the flower, he mentions the Mechanicals, and he calls them “‘A crew of patches, rude mechanicals, that work for bread upon Athenian stalls, were met together to rehearse a play intended for Theseus’ nuptial day. The shallowest thick-skin of that barren sort…'” Here, Puck is basically calling the Mechanicals barbarians who are too simple-minded for anything complex. However, the Mechanicals do truly mean good. After all, they are indeed making a play to honor Theseus, duke of the day. Thus, should Puck not have an ounce of regret when he calls them “barren” and then turns Bottom’s head into that of a donkey’s? Everyone is the same; just attempting to do good (or bad) for/to one another.

After analyzing this, it seems to me that Shakespeare is sending a message. He is saying that rich, poor, fairie, mortal, it does not really matter in the end. As we already know, there were indeed seats in the Globe for both the rich and the poor. Therefore, we as readers can understand that even the rich and the poor can equate to one another at least for some dumb-founding moments,

Reply
    1. George

Great blog. I also think that Shakespeare has alot of underlying meaning like the one that none of this really matters

Reply
  19. eshap

In Act III, there were many events that explored an idea even more than when mentioned before. For example, already mentioned was how reason had influenced love. Lysander claimed this to be true, saying that it was the main reason he had fallen in love. In scene i, Puck contradicts this as he speaks with Oberon. “…reason and love keep little company together nowadays. The more the pity that some honest neighbors will not make them friends.” (lines 145-148) Puck explains how love and reason cannot be put together in any way. Love cannot be forced by reason, and reason is not an excuse for love. Lysander claiming that Helena is the worthier maid does not explain why he loves her. He cannot have reason explain his sudden infatuation with Helena, it won’t make any difference as long as he doesn’t actually feel that way. No matter how many times lovers will use reason and love together, it will not work. Not only Lysander, but Romeo as well had used reason for his sudden change in heart towards Juliet. He claimed that she was even more beautiful, and she would actually speak with him, concluding that she is the one he loves. Puck explains two ideas that have been placed together by force, although it does not make sense to. If love is forced by reason, then it is not love at all. If reason is an excuse for love, then it will not work at all. Love and reason cannot be placed together because they contradict the other. Love is supposed to be a person’s true feeling for someone else, while reason is simply facts and logic.

On a different note, I noticed that there was a difference in the way characters spoke. As we have read in other novels, some characters have a better upbringing, having better speech, while others have little education, and have a common way of speaking. In this play, it is easy to compare the speech between the mechanicals and Titania. When Bottom speaks to Titania after she awakens, he speaks using common language. The text in the play for his speech is written in prose, with no line breaks. Queen Titania, however, speaks to Bottom with a poetic sense. The text is written in poetry, every two lines rhyming. The difference in speech between these characters show the difference in class. Titania, as Queen, was most likely educated to be proper, speaking the way she does. On the other hand, Bottom does not seem to have much education, or even none, since he often mistakes words for another word.

In previous acts, Demetrius had loved Hermia dearly, however, she pushed him away, loving Lysander. “So should the murderer look, and so should I, pierced through the heart with your stern cruelty.” (lines 60 and 61) At this point, Demetrius has not fallen in love with Helena through the magic flower. He has been trying to convince Hermia to fall in love with him, claiming that since Lysander had left her for Helena, it is obvious for them to be together. Hermia still persists in ignoring his pleads, throwing insults about him carelessly. She claims that he murdered Lysander, as he looked like a murderer. Demetrius claims that Hermia is the murderer. He may look like a murderer, deathly, but that is due to Hermia’s hurtful words that have shattered any hope he had of being with her. Hermia’s words finally made their way to Demetrius, and were hurtful. As a result, he was heartbroken for not being able to have her. In a way of revenge for her being hurtful, Demetrius makes several implications that Lysander is dead. He claims that he would have given Lysander’s body to the dogs. This tortured Hermia, for she wanted to kill herself if Lysander was dead. In a way, this is similar to the ending of Romeo and Juliet, when Juliet was so ready to kill herself after seeing Romeo dead. Hermia also wanted to put an end to her life on the assumption that Demetrius had killed Lysander.

Reply
  20. Kat

I saw this scene as a resolution to many problems, especially with the the four lovers. Throughout the play there has been many problems between many of the lovers. There has been lots of fighting, and lots of sadness. To me it seemed that the women were mostly sad because at some point they lost their loves, where as with the men, they always seemed to be fighting over one of the women. After all of the agony, and pain that these four people went through in this act we finally see a happy resolution. All of the lovers have a partner and are happy, and await marriage. Throughout the play we see Puck as a troublemaker. he causes the unrest between the lovers, gives Bottom an Donkey’s head, and makes Titania fall in love with Bottom. However there is a change in this scene. Instead of causing more problems he reunites the lovers and makes things the “way they should be”.

Reply
    1. margauxc

I agree with your observation of how the women of the play eventually end up being the ones most distraught. Though Helena and Hermia are depicted to have unwavering loyalty to their loves, Titania is seen almost estranged from Oberon. And it could be viewed as certainly unjust that Shakespeare paints these intricate characters in a light were they can all be considered damsels-in-distress. However, by creating agony and tears, Shakespeare may be poking fun at the way lovers tend to appear. Your blog was definitely great and definitely well-written!

Reply
  21. margauxc

Within Act III, scene ii of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, Hermia’s unwavering devotion to Lysander is exquisitely painted by Shakespeare’s delicate strokes of ink. Her loyalty and faith in her love provides a soft hue amidst the dissonant confusion and chaos of nightfall. Despite Lysander’s harsh tongue and unforgettable outbursts, Hermia cries out, “Heavens shield Lysander if they mean a fray!” (3.2.476). Hermia’s unfailing admiration for her lost lover is an aspect of her character which emphasizes one of the undertones of this play.
    Another one of Shakespeare’s characters, Romeo, once challenged,“Is love a tender thing?”. In the laments given by Hermia throughout scene ii, once could see a duality between the nature of love. A tenderness is present in Hermia’s actions towards Lysander, yet a roughness is also portrayed in regards towards Hermia’s interaction with Helena. As remarked by Helena, Hermia tends to express a spriteful nature– “O, when she is angry, she is keen and shrewd. She was a vixen when she went to school, And though she be but little, she is fierce,” (3.2.340-342). The audience has witnessed Hermia’s fierceness when she spoke against her father within the opening scene of the text. However, Hermia’s tenderness is seen when she is interacting with Lysander- her words were never insults when directed towards him, not even after he had humiliated her and declared his love for Helena. No- instead of being angry with Lysander, she instantly comes to believe Helena is at fault for everything. The fact that– even after her severe mistreatment, Hermia still cares for Lysander’s well-being, but is driven nearly hysterical and fuming with resentment towards Helena- conveys a duality between love’s tenderness and its roughness.

Reply
  22. adam

In this reading, there is a smorgasbord of mistakes and confusion between characters. Puck seems to make the most mistakes which leads to further kerfuffle between characters. The scene is fueled by Puck’s msitakes, and it seems like he is the clumsy one in the group. Although it may be a stretch, one may see similarities between Puck and Lennie. They both find a way to turn a normal situation awkward, or mess something up in the blink of an eye. But, have good intentions and a good heart. But, Puck solves his problems and has more common sense, shown when he tried to solve the problems. The whole triangle of love is shifting and has not seemed to take a steady path yet. It will be interesting to see how the shift of love effects the novel at the end.

Reply
  23. George

I think that the scene that we read in class was of utmost importance ro the plot of the comedy because it establishes puck as a trouble maker. He does this by making Lysander fall in love with Helena, by pitting Lysander and Demetrius againsy each other when they are looking for each other, and by giving bottom tge head of an ass. Puck is being used by Shakespeare as a comical relief for the story. Puck is the comedy. He does all the stuff that people want to laugh at.

Reply
  24. alekhya

Expanding on Ilyssa’s blog, I would like to address the role of the love potion. When Puck first administered the love potion to Lysander, the potion made Lysanderfall so deeply in live with Helena. To fix his error Puck administers the drug to Lysander again while Hermia is next to him so that he will see her this time when he opens his eyes. So now the problem has been solved, Lysander once again loves Hermia, but my question is whether Lysander’s live is true or not? When taking the love potion again did it neutralize the effects of the first administrationso that Lysander now loves Hermia the way he used to? Or has the dug made him fall in love with her all over again? Is his love now drug induced?
    So when he now professes his love for Hermia is the drug part of his feelings?

Also in this act I couldn’t help but pity Demetrius. Is it rather upsetting that he told Helena he loved her only to fall on love with Hermia? Yes, but in the end Demtrius did not even get a true say in who he would love and MARRY. Under the effects of a drug he has married a wimen he claims to not love. Even though in the end everyone is happy, it still was a little suprising to me that Demetrius kind of became a pawn in the game of Oberon.

Reply
  25. Tyler Newby

In Act III Scene ii, I found it very surprising how horribly wrong Oberon’s plan went.  He originally planned for Demetrius to fall in love with Helena so they would stop bickering, but instead, Lysander fell in love with Helena.  Helena thought Lysander was mocking her, so she ran away with Lysander right behind her.  Then, Puck makes Demetrius fall in love with Helena as well.  Helena then thinks that Demetrius is in on a joke with Lysander.  Hermia then overhears Lysander telling Helena how much he loves her and gets angry.  Now, Helena thinks that everyone is playing a joke on her and gets in an argument with Hermia.  Hermia storms off, while Lysander and Demetrius leave the grove to duel over Helena.  None of this chaos would have happened if Oberon was more specific with his orders to Puck.

Reply