May 9 2017

O, I am fortune’s fool!

Image result for image of romeo and mercutio

Tonight, after you finish reading Act III, scene i, of Romeo and Juliet please write your response here.  You have free choice of response, but please keep your comments grounded in the text and, unless you are the very first student to comment, respond to previous comments as a part of your comment.  In other words, let’s try to have an online conversation and see where it leads us!

As always, please check your writing for spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

R&J blog #13

Copyright © 2016. All rights reserved.

Posted May 9, 2017 by equinson in category Romeo and Juliet

39 thoughts on “O, I am fortune’s fool!

1. Toa Neil

This scene was very interesting. The first part where Tybalt is looking for Romeo is a little weird and I wonder why he is after him. Then when Mercutio and Tybalt fight it seems meaningless until Mercutio is stabbed. A curse on your houses seems to say that Mercutio is angry about dying and is good fuel to Romeo’s anger. When Romeo kills Tybalt it seemed like something good. But then Romeo is caught and gets in trouble I think this is very important to the plot.

Reply
    1. faithw

It is evident that Tybalt has been waiting for Romeo and is insulting him in order to get him into a duel.

Reply
  2. charlottes

Tonight, I am discussing the multiple points of view of who is responsible for this mess. At the end of this fight, Tybalt and Mercutio are both dead. Some may believe that Romeo is responsible. Tybalt came looking for Romeo, which brought Tybalt into the Montague’s space. This lead to a fight. Perhaps if Romeo came earlier or tried harder to stop the fight, these two men would still be alive. Also, due to Romeo blocking Mercutio, Mercutio was stabbed and Romeo stabbed Tybalt in return. He kind of killed both of them. Others believe this is a result of both Mercutio and Tybalt. They both fought each other, even though it was meant as a joke, ignoring the Prince’s words from earlier in the novel. The prince said that if there was another fight, people from both houses would be sentenced to death. Either way, they both were most likely going to die, even if they didn’t die in the fight, the two would have probably be sentenced to death anyway.

Reply
    1. Kat

I agree with many of your points. However I feel that this is an impossible question to answer. I also agree that a lot of this may not have happened if Romeo was not there and if he didn’t reuse to deal with Romeo. I think that if we really want to try and find an answer we must look deeper into the text.

Reply
  3. sofiad1

This scene was extremely interesting and captivating. At first, it seems like no one is really going to get hurt, but then Romeo sees the fight getting out of hand. He tries to stop it, and Tybalt ends up killing Mercutio. Tybalt ran away, but Romeo seeked revenge for the death of his friend. He chases after him and kills him. This was all absurd from the start. Tybalt should never have gotten into a fight with Mercutio, even if he wanted to fight a Montague. Even so, in the text Mercutio says before the fight, “Come, sir, your passado” (line 86). Passado means a fencing step forward with a thrust involved. This shows that Mercutio never intended for this to be a true fight, but Romeo thought it was. So, when Romeo got involved, Tybalt accidentally killed Mercutio. But then, Romeo took it a step forward. He killed Tybalt as ‘revenge’, even though it wasn’t Tybalt fault. And I’m killing Tybalt, he is being Exiled from Verona.

Reply
  4. faithw

It is my opinion that Romeo is so ecstatic about his secret love and marriage to Juliet that he is not angered by Tybalt’s insults. Nobody knows that they have gotten married and that Tybalt is now his cousin. He hints, “Tybalt, the reason that I have to love thee Doth much excuse the appertaining rage To such a greeting. Villain am I none.”

In addition, I think that Mercutio’s death is a turning point in the play. Up until now, the play was presenting itself as one of romance, but it will transform into a tragedy. Before dying he repeatedly curses both the Montague and the Capulet families; “a plague o’ both your houses!” I believe this foreshadows the life ahead for Romeo and Juliet. They are happy now, but their relationship will soon face doom. It seems to be fate that they will be separated.

Reply
    1. avae1

I agree completely. I had not thought of Mercutio’s death as the turning point, but perhaps you are correct! After that moment surely Romeo is no longer just a lovesick, newly married boy, but he is angry and seeks revenge. Once achieving revenge, he is in love and on the run.

Reply
    2. caias1

I agree with your prediction of the foreshadowing. The “plague” that Mercutio put on the two houses probably foreshadows what will happen to Romeo and Juliet.

Reply
      1. francescaa

Yes, This part of the play definitely in a turning point. Before this the reader has only seen Romeo head over heals in love. However, at this point we see Romeo engulfed in something else; hatred and revenge. We suddenly see the darker side of Romeo, something that is surprising and concerning at the same time.

Reply
  5. tarika1

The scene in tonight’s reading was interesting. One thing that I found the most interesting was Mercutio’s death. There was no foreshadowing to his death and there wasn’t any reason to believe he would die. Shakespeare mentions Romeo and Juliet’s death but not anybody else. Most would expect him to put something about it in the introduction. Not many readers expected two families feud to lead to multiple deaths.

Reply
  6. avae1

What I found to be quite intriguing in scene i of Act III, was in the final moments of Mercutio’s life. Benvolio is needed to help Mercutio find some place to rest, and soon die. As Mercutio states in lines 111 to 112, “A plague o’ both your houses! They have made worms’ meat of me.” This ‘plague’ he discusses refers to the eternal rivalry between the Montagues and the Capulets. Unfortunately, it is citizens like Mercutio, a man of neither side, that perish from this plague. As they all exit the stage, the sole person left is Romeo, “(All but Romeo exit)” Although this is a mere stage direction, it provides a lasting effect. With the marriage of Romeo and Juliet their names have been unified in secret. Furthermore, Romeo now remains alone because he feels attached to both families. “My reputation stained With Tybalt’s slander-Tybalt, that an hour Hath been my cousin!”(lines 117-118) Similar to Mercutio, Romeo is no longer fully committed to one side. It is possible he cannot follow the Montagues at Mercutio’s aid, or the Capulets by Tybalt’s side. Perhaps this is why Romeo stands alone, he was opposed to the fight before and now believes he and Juliet stand alone with their marriage.

Reply
    1. christophert3

I agree. The plague of both houses, very possibly referring to the long rivalry between the two houses, does end up getting people caught up in it who would otherwise be taking no part in it. In the beginning of Act I, the citizens who came to join the fight had said, before joining, “Down with the Montagues! Down with the Capulets!”. If you think about it, this idea of neutral people getting hurt because of the houses’ quarrel easily backs up the quote which I just showed. I also would like to say, at the mention of Romeo not having a side, it occurred to me that Romeo’s stunt against Tybalt was out of rage. Thus meaning that it wasn’t against Tybalt the Capulet, but against Tybalt who killed Mercutio. Romeo still holds his opinion of the Capulets the same as his view of the Montagues.

Reply
  7. Kat

The scene that we read tonight is incredibly chaotic. In this scene we see the death of both Mercutio and Tybalt. This scene seemed appropriate for the death of Mercutio. When we learned the roots of his name we learned that he is a very dynamic character that changes dramatically in little time. Just like Mercutio this scene changes dramaticaly. In the beginning we see Mercutio and Benvolio lounging around and talking casually. When Tybalt comes to fight Romeo and romeo refuses to fight with him some of the action begins. At first the duel seems more like a game, the dialogue and the characters seem to have a light hearted air to them. However when Romeo tries to step in the game ends and Mercutio is wounded. We’d expect to see everyone rush to Mercutio’s aid, but instead we only see Romeo and Benvolio trying to help Mercutio. In the movie especially we see that all of the “boys” just think this is part of Mercutio’s show, because many things seem like a joke to Mercutio. Then when Mercutio dies, Romeo’s quest for peace with his new “brother” turns to hate. Then Romeo runs through the streets and attacks Tybalt. I want to talk about this scene in both the play and the movie.

Sadly because this is a play we do not get to experience the action in these exciting scenes. The closest we get to the action is the few stage directions. However we do get to see how the characters feel individually. The characters also have more dialogue so there is diffidently more emotion, which also creates action. This is why this scene is so exciting. It only takes 17 lines for us to find out that Mercutio is dead, and then Romeo stabs Tybalt. This scene seems to move very quickly, which I think is both good and bad.

In the movie this scene seems very long. This whole event is over 15 minutes long. I was especially interested in how both Tybalt and Romeo react after they find that they have stabbed someone. I thought that they would both be happy, or at least feel victorious but we can tell from the look on their faces that they feel the opposite. When Tybalt looked down to see the blood on his sword he looked shocked. When Romeo sees Tybalt fall on him he looks as if he is in agony. Both men have to be pulled away because they would have tried to help.

I think that this scene will be the spark of the end of Romeo and Juliet. Because Romeo killed Tybalt this could reignite the fight between the Montague’s and the Capulet’s. At Capulet’s feast he seemed ro have a good opinion of Romeo because he let him be. This will reignite the hatred between the two houses and lead to their deaths.

Reply
    1. margauxc

I definitely agree that the duality between Romeo and Tybalt’s reactions to having stabbed somebody are sure indications of their intentions- seeing as neither expected blood to be on their hands.

Reply
  8. caias1

Something I found interesting in the fight scene was when Mercutio says, ” A plague o’ both your houses! They have made worms’ meat of me. I have it, And soundly too. Your houses!” He said he put a curse on both the Montague and Capulet houses, yet he was the one who took over the duel when Romeo would not fight. Why would he challenge Tybalt to a duel, then curse both houses for when he got hurt? Also, if the fight was not meant to be serious, then why did Romeo jump in the way? He would have seen that it was not a serious duel.

Reply
    1. eshap

I agree, you bring up a very true point. Perhaps Mercutio fought Tybalt for nothing more than entertainment, and had no intention of anyone getting hurt. Romeo didn’t want to see either Tybalt or Mercutio get hurt and live to endure the Prince’s punishments, which could be severe.

Reply
  9. arihantp1

Act III, scene i is extremely interesting, and is the cause of two characters deaths. After Romeo turns down Tybalt’s challenge, Mercutio takes it. These two fight for a while until Mercutio is stabbed. This throws Romeo into a rage causing him to murder Tybalt. The murder of these two men could have been prevented if Romeo did a better job in stopping the fight. Romeo murdering Tybalt has caused him to go into exile. Mercutio curses both families as his last words, for their fighting has caused much blood to shed, and now his. I wonder how these words will resonate with Romeo, knowing his family’s feud is responsible for his best friend’s death. This scene shows how Romeo and Juliet is truly a tragedy, and is starting to separate from the romance.

Reply
    1. alexo

I agree! I think that from this scene, all will go downhill until the inevitable death of Romeo and Juliet.

Reply
  10. alexo

What I found, after watching the movie and reading the text, was how easily angered Romeo is. Just like love, he sways easily when it comes to temper. When Mercutio died, most were solemn and angry but knew full well that any more conflict may lead to a worse fate. Romeo, however, lets loose of his temper and charged straight for Tybalt to avenge Mercutio. I find this quite interesting because just an hour before, Romeo was married to a Montague, seemingly bridging the gap or destroying any grudges Romeo had against Montagues. However, Romeo killed Tybalt due to his need to avenge Mercutio, someone he may not have cared for so dearly if he were not one of his allies, circling back to the old ways of fighting because he was a Capulet and they were Montagues.

Reply
  11. francescaa

After reading Act III scene i, I can definitely say that this scene is definitely the most intriguing and exhilarating we have read thus far. The speeches given by Mercutio, Benvolio and Romeo are definitely memorable, but one speech in particular caught my interest. I am not sure if Romeo’s speech after Mercutio’s death was included in the movie, but nevertheless, its importance it significant. After realizing that Mercutio wasn’t playing around when he said he would be in his grave the next day, Romeo is furious. Tybalt always seems to be causing trouble, yet this time his ruthless self ended up getting someone killed. Romeo, blinded by anger and hatred, decided to go after Tybalt and challenge him to a fight. “Alive in triumph, and Mercutio slain……..Either thou or I, or both, must go with him.” Before they even start fighting, Romeo knows that he is at a great disadvantage. Everyone knows that Tybalt is an expert at fighting, and Romeo is no match for him; Nevertheless, Romeo is willing to give up his life in order to seek “justice” for Mercutio. Romeo declares that by the end of the fight one of them (either him or Tybalt) will be in heaven with Mercutio. Although the reader find out that Tybalt dies on the next page, Shakespeare did foreshadow the upcoming events in Romeo’s speech.

Reply
  12. ilyssal

Though todays’ scenes were very interesting in many different aspects, I was definitely most intrigued about how quickly the harmless duel became not so harmless. Tybalt and Mercutio began their duel as a complete joke, neither of them wanted to hurt the other in any way shape or form, yet only Tybalt was fortunate enough to walk out of the town square alive. The brawl escalated rather quickly, as it began with Tybalt and Mercurio laughing and fencing with barely any contact. The fight got rougher and suddenly it was not a joke anymore. Tybalt stabbed Mercutio’s chest, unintentionally. Mercutio was soon pronounced dead moments later.

Reply
  13. Tyler Newby

There were a few moments in this scene that I found interesting. First, it stood out to me how Romeo declined a fight with Tybalt. He said “I do protest I never injured thee
    But I love thee better than thou canst devise.
    Till thou shalt know the reason of my love.
    And so, good Capulet, which name I tender
    as dearly as my own, be satisfied.” I found it very odd that Romeo said this to Tybalt. He says that he will not fight Tybalt because he loves the Capulet name as his own and he would not fight a person with his own name. I found this odd because Tybalt had no idea that Romeo was married to Juliet. Tybalt must have seen this as pathetic or sarcastic if he did not know the circumstances.

Reply
  14. maddy

A rhetoric evident within the first scene of Act Three is irony. This constituent commences with Benvolio verbalizing his apprehension of a brawl occurring betwixt the Capulets and Montagues. Mercutio chided Benvolio for being concerned of such a prospect, for he views such thoughts of his to be irresolute as well as contradictory. The utmost sardonic part of Mercutio’s chiding is when he stated that Benvolio is quarrelsome and easily prone to rage at times. His reasoning as to why he believes Benvolio is wrong in discouraging the occurrence of a brawl is as latterly stated. One may regard Mercutio’s opinions of Benvolio’s temperament to be sardonic because Benvolio’s rebuked characteristics partially comprised Mercutio’s nature, and contributed to the cause of his death.

Although Tybalt is the direct result of Mercutio’s death, many components constructed the path amounting to Mercutio being stabbed by Tybalt, and consequently dying. Given that Romeo and Juliet had just been wedded, Romeo was in a state of pure bliss — and ignorance. Thus, he benevolently declined Tybalt’s solicitation to joust with him. Upon Romeo’s declination, Mercutio persisted on tussling with Tybalt. The two then jousted in what began as a frivolous encounter, yet ended in Tybalt’s sword lethally piercing Mercutio. As apparent within this brief summation (the term “brief” is utilized because there are far more factors of Mercutio’s death, if the subject was to be analyzed more thoroughly), many characters were involved with the fatal brawl. A primary topic of class discussion tomorrow is to be determining who is accountable for the death of Mercutio. Personally, I believe that many people are responsible for his death, and in a variety of ways. There is not a sole answer to this inquiry, for it ultimately depends upon the viewpoint of whom is inquired, and the manner in which it is inquired.

Reply
  15. cameronl3

When reading act III, scene i, of Romeo and Juliet, I had one important thought as the scene went on: Who is to blame for this huge disaster? As much happened, there are many biased responses towards this, such as Lady Capulet, cousin of Tybalt, who immediately exclaims that Romeo should be put to death for killing Tybalt. On the other hand, Mercutio states that Romeo had the right to kill Tybalt, due to the fact he killed brave Mercutio. In my opinion, I think it is neither of the two characters fault. I believe that the true character to blame is Mercutio. This is because he is the one who started the scuffle between himself and Tybalt. Although it was just fun and games, it led to something much more serious, the deaths of two well known citizens of Verona. Although Tybalt wanted to duel with Romeo, this was basically avoided as Romeo did not want any more harm to the two families’ relationships, since he is technically part of both households. This ends up not being the case, as he attempts to avenge Mercurios death, by killing Tybalt. This is a huge conflict in the play and will really harm Romoes relationship with not only Juliet, but the rest of the town of Verona.

Reply
  16. christophert3

After finishing the first scene of Act III, I have a few questions. First of all, I believe that the sentence given to Romeo was slightly unjust. Romeo killed Tybalt out of rage. From Mercutio’s tale, we could see that Romeo was aiming for peace at first, but after Mercutio was killed, was blinded by revenge to think of such any further. So it was Tybalt’s life in return for the life which he took, that of Mercutio. Romeo’s life should not be taken as well. Also, besides this I believe that the “plague o’ both your houses” that Mercutio was talking of was either hatred or revenge. I believe this could be the case because the thing that is causing both houses to quarrel all the time and not get along is hatred. But then, I believe it might as well be revenge since it was what was going to happen following death and Mercutio might have known it.

Reply
  17. ivanl

I found the rest of the first scene of Act III very interesting. During this scene, two characters are killed, Mercutio and Tybalt. Mercutio is killed by Tybalt after Mercutio challenges Tybalt to a fight after being insulted in the baths. Romeo, at first trying to instill peace and thoughtfulness, becomes blinded with fury and anger after finding that his friend Mercutio had been killed by Tybalt in the fight. When Meructio dies, he mentions plagues upon both houses. I found this very interesting. This perhaps foreshadows the forecoming doom of both families, perhaps further fighting, or just something involving Romeo and Juliet that may later evolve into more. However, we clearly know that something will come of the families, so bad that Romeo and Juliet will take their own lives.

Reply
  18. marinas1

Before reading this scene, I had previously thought that Benvolio was simply a kind being, always willing to help. Although this remains true for the first half of the scene (for Benvolio tries to stop Mercutio and Tybalt, and later tells Romeo to flee after Romeo kills Tybalt. However, this aspect of Benvoilo becomes incredibly exaggerated towards the end of this scene. Instead of covering and protecting Romeo when he needs it the most (in regards to when the prince asks Benvolio about who killed Tybalt), he becomes blatantly honest, and tells him that Romeo was the real reason for Tybalt lying dead on the ground. Banvolio clearly declared “‘O noble prince, I can discover all the unlucky manage of this fatal brawl. There lies the man, slain by young Romeo, that slew thy kinsmen, brace Mercutio.'” Now, it is very well possible that others would have figured out that Romeo killed Tybalt. However, Benvolio sees the need to say it outright, making he prince, and all of the townspeople, aware of Romeo’s awful and ungodly behavior. By releasing this information promptly, the prince quickly decides that Romeo must be put into exile, Prince Escalus even saying “‘Immediately we do exile him hence.'” This means that Romeo will be exiled out of Verona, and, in this peculiar set of circumstances, will never be able to see Juliet again, making for one extremely problematic situation. We as readers already know that Romeo would rather die than never see her again. This exile, for him, will be worse than death.

Although this may be true, I do also see how Benvolio could have done this out of the goodness of his heart. After all, he loves Romeo, and is Romeo’s relative. In this case, Benvolio may say that Romeo killed Tybalt outright because he thinks that Romeo will not get nearly as significant of a punishment or outcome if the prince had found out later. However, Benvolio speaking up does eventually end up doing the opposite, kick starting a tumultuous series of happenings, that, as we all know, lead to Romeo and Juliet’s eventual deaths.

Reply
  19. briannag3

I find this scene very interesting. In the beginning Tybalt was looking for Romeo so they could have a duel, but finds Mercutio and Benvolio instead. The fight between Tybalt and Mercutio never should’ve happened in the first place but Mercutio insisted on it. Also, I think that Romeo was only so against all the fighting in general was because of him being newly married to Juliet. He now wants the fighting between them all to stop, therefore not fighting Tybalt. However, even though he was strongly against the fighting after Mercurio was killed that went out the window. It seemed after Mercutio died Romeo forgot why he was even remaining peaceful.

Reply
  20. eshap

From previous scenes, we have come to know that Benvolio is typically the one to make peace in a dispute between the Montagues and Capulets or the Montagues themselves. During the duel between Mercutio and Tybalt, Benvolio does not try too hard to stop the fight. He simply stands watching from the side as Mercutio and Tybalt continue their fight. It isn’t Benvolio who makes peace in this duel, but Romeo. When telling them to put down their weapons from the side fails to take effect, Romeo jumps in while they are fighting and physically pushes them apart. “Gentlemen, for shame forbear this outrage!…The Prince expressly hath forbid this bandying in Verona streets.” (lines 88-90) Although Mercutio is hurt, Romeo does try to stop the duel, and his attempt had an effect to a small extent. However, Tybalt and Mercutio took their stance again quickly and continued.

Benvolio did, however, try to stop the initial fight. He claimed to Mercutio and Tybalt that they were in a public place, which meant that they could easily be discovered. Benvolio didn’t want to risk the two having severe punishments, even though Tybalt was a Capulet. Benvolio was simply looking out for the well-being of Mercutio and Tybalt. If Tybalt was hurt in the slightest bit, Mercutio would have been given punishment. “We talk here in the public haunt of men. Either withdraw unto some private place, or reason coldly of your grievances, or else depart. Here all eyes gaze on us.” (lines 51-54) If Mercutio and Tybalt could not settle their dispute through words, then moving to a more private place would allow for less discovery of their duel. This would let them escape from the Prince’s punishments.

On a different note, I found it interesting that the Prince went to Benvolio for the events that had occurred, rather than a Capulet or another Montague who was watching. The Prince does not need any confirmation of the events after Benvolio spoke, even though Lady Capulet tried to make it seem as if he were lying. “Benvolio, who began this bloody fray>” (line 159) It is strange that the Prince wouldn’t consider hearing both side. If Benvolio were lying, there would need to be another account of what happened. What Lady Capulet said about the Capulets being outnumbered cannot be trusted as she was not watching the duel.

Reply
  21. willowm

In this scene we see a sword fight gone wrong between Tybalt and Mercutio. Tybalt never meant to actually hurt him, but Romeo interfered. After Mercutio’s death Romeo went into a blind rage and chased after Tybalt, telling him that he would kill him or die trying. Romeo is always at one extreme or another. He sees Juliet and he is so in love with her he forgets all about Rosaline and must marry Juliet the next day. He sees Mercutio dead and puts everything on the line trying to kill Tybalt, even though some may think that it was Romeo’s fault for getting in the way. This attitude always seems to get him in trouble, but never before like this. When it was a matter of love it was more forgivable than taking a life for revenge. Also, I think this scene will lead to many more fights, most of which aimed at killing Romeo. The second Romeo got involved the fight became about the family feud. Mercutio said “A plague o’ both your houses!” He cursed the two houses he felt were responsible for his death. This incident will surely trigger a war between the Montagues and Capulets, one Romeo and Juliet’s love will not be able to overcome.

Reply
  22. laurena2

In act III scene i of Romeo and Juliet, there is one question the remains in my mind. This is “Who truly was responsible for Mercutio and Tybalt’s death?” The three names that immediately come to mind are Romeo, Tybalt and Mercutio. Although it can be argued that either of the three men contributed to the deaths, I believe that Romeo was most responsible. Although Mercutio and Tybalt fought in the first place, Romeo caused the fight to get out of hand. Like many times before, Mercutio and Tybalt (members of opposite houses) were verbally attacking and jokingly making fun of each other. The two begin to fight, which was just for laughs and fun. All of a sudden Romeo wants the fight to stop. Strangely, it is as if Romeo expects the fight to stop right then and there. What was Romeo thinking? Did he really believe a lifelong family feud would end so easily?

After Mercutio was stabbed, Romeo goes back after Tybalt. Instead of making Tybalt feel sorry for his mistake, Romeo angered him. They begin to have a duel, with the intent of killing one another. If Romeo hadn’t gone back after Tybalt, they would both still be alive. Romeo must realize that accidents happen, and also that the feud between the Montagues and Capulets will not end because he wants it to.

Reply
  23. George

One of the scenes that we encounter is the scene where both Tybalt and Mercuito die. It’s kind of interesting how Shakespeare puts their deaths so close to each other. It seems that he was trying to show in one final way how different they are. Tybalt is a very jealous, angry, and calculated when making decisions. Mercuito is insane, sometimes happy, and very sporadic when making decisions. This shows duality in the fact that they are so different withstanding the fact that their deaths were in such close proximity to each other.

Reply
  24. margauxc

During Act III, scene i, the audience can discern several titles which Shakespeare placed upon certain characters. Romeo has been addressed by, “noble Romeo”, “gentle Romeo”, and “young Romeo”, various times throughout the play- all of which convey aspects of his character. As he is young, he is expected to be naive. As he is gentle, his character demonstrates a tender love for Juliet. And nobility, as mentioned by Capulet during Act I, scene v, is a quality Romeo is known for. Yet, in Act III, scene i, Romeo’s name is adjoined by “villain”. Benvolio then repeats the title, “young Romeo” when explaining to Prince Escalus what had happened. Tybalt calling Romeo a villain is not necessarily new to the text- yet more importantly, after Romeo challenges Tybalt, he calls out, “Now, Tybalt, take the “villain” back again/That too late thou gavest me…” (lines 130-131). In a way, this can be seen as character development. Initially, Romeo had denied such a title, yet after Mercutio’s death- he accepts and embraces the “role” of a villain. Because of this, Romeo disproves that he is as gentle or as noble as he once was beforehand. However, Romeo is continued to be referred to as “young Romeo” by Benvolio- which emphasizes how reckless his behavior is. Another character who was bestowed titles in this scene was Mercutio, who was described as “gentle Mercutio”, “brave Mercutio”, and “stout Mercutio”. Previously, one could have somewhat inferred that Mercutio was stout and perhaps, based on his outspokenness, one could have assumed Mercutio was brave- yet Mercutio’s scenes hardly indicate that he is gentle. Overall, the titles which were given to both Romeo and Mercutio’s characters add more complexity to their characters.

Reply
  25. Rebecca F

This scene ends with the death of both Tybalt and Mercutio. In my opinion, I believe that it is Romeo’s fault that Mercutio died. When Mercutio and Tybalt fought, it wasn’t serious. They were simply messing around, whistling and laughing, making slow, lazy swings with their swords. However, when Romeo intervenes, it causes Mercutio to make a misstep, leading him to be impaled on Tybalt’s sword. That is when the fight turns serious, with Romeo looking to avenge Mercutio’c death. But although Tybalt pulled the sword, it was Romeo that truly caused Mercutio’s death.

Reply
    1. alekhya

I agree with you Beccy. I too believe that Romeo was the cause of Mercutio and Tybalt’s deaths.

Reply
  26. adam

Act 3 scene 1 is an action packed scene. Fight breaks out, first with Mercutio and Tybalt, at first what appeared to just be for entertainment, Tybalt ends up stabbing Mercutio, killing him. As a result, Romeo charged at Mercutio, and after a battle, killed him. Now, is the complicated part, because nobody knew that Romeo had just been married. Many think he should be killed, others say it was revenge for killing Mercutio. Finally, the Queen decides that Romeo shall not be killed, but he must vanish from Verona. Juliet is yet to know about this situation. Her new husband just killed her cousin and is now being kicked out of the town. How will Juliet react? Run away with her new husband who just killed someone, or stay in Verona with her family and friends? This whole scene shows how quick everything could change, and how good intentions sometimes lead to not so good results.

Reply
  27. alekhya

It was very intriguing as to how benvolio knew there would be a fight between the Capulets and Montagues. He says that with the day’s heat their blood is boiling and with the Capilet’s wandering around, there is bound to be a fight. “The day is hot, the Capels are abroad, and if we meet we shall not scape a brawl, for now these hot days, is the mad blood stirring.”
    In class we also spoke of how Mercutio in his dying breath said to Romeo that the grudge between HIS two houses has killed him. We also see some of this strange knowledge from Mercutio in line 58, “But I’ll be hanged, sir, if he wear your livery-” I wonder if that too is connecting Mercutio’s last words.

Reply
  28. George

This whole explosion of violence is only the start. It seems that for a while tensions have been brewing and the intermarriage between the households was just an excuse. The marriage was a outrage and a bad decision on Romeo and Juliet’s part. Before the fight and the outrage between Romeo and Juliet the households relations could be cooled however at this point war is imminent. Blood has been spilled and an ancient feud has rerisen. Mercutio was the first death and probably the most controversial. He acted in defence of Romeo’s honor because he is a loyal person. He did not have to do this however in those days your reputation was even more important than it is today. However you cannot deny that Tybalt killed him and that makes him the most guilty.

Reply