May 8 2017

It is enough I may but call her mine.

This evening, please paraphrase and then analyze Romeo’s speech below.  Next, you must then compare it to the Friar’s speech beneath it.

What perpetual truth does each speaker express in his lines?  What possible outcome does the imagery foreshadow in each quotation?

Don’t forget: you must analyze both speeches and comment on the analysis of your classmates as well.

Amen, amen! But come what sorrow can,
It cannot countervail the exchange of joy
That one short minute gives me in her sight.
Do thou but close our hand with holy words,
Then love-devouring death do what he dare –
It is enough I may but call her mine.

These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss, consume.
The sweetest honey
Is loathsome in his own deliciousness
And in the taste confounds the appetite.
Therefore love moderately; long love doth so;
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow.

R&J blog #12

Copyright © 2016. All rights reserved.

Posted May 8, 2017 by equinson in category Romeo and Juliet

32 thoughts on “It is enough I may but call her mine.

1. Toa Neil

“Amen, amen! But come what sorrow can,
    It is enough I may but call her mine.”

I noticed that Romeo is very excited and ready to get married. and is very all in about it. While the Friar is calmer and worrying telling Romeo to think.

Which as they kiss, consume.
    The sweetest honey
    Is loathsome in his own deliciousness
    Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow.

Reply
  2. charlottes

Here is Romeo’s speech – paraphrased:

Amen Amen! But come what sorrow can
    It cannot offset the trade of happiness
    That one small moment puts me in her view
    Do thou close our hands with the words of God
    Then love-consuming death do what he dare
    It is enough, but I can call her mine

In the two speeches, we see Romeo’s eagerness to get married and Friar Lawrence’s hesitation to marry them. Friar Lawrence mentions violent delights have violent endings. This is foreshadowing that Romeo and Juliet may die. Romeo is so excited about their marriage and Juliet feels the same, but Friar Lawrence doesn’t feel it’s the right move. If this is so, I have one initial question: Why does Friar Lawrence marry the two lovers if he predicts bad things coming their way? Or why doesn’t he try to stop or delay their marriage?

Reply
  3. sofiad1

Romeo’s Speech:
    Yes, Yes! But sadness will come when it can,
    It can’t overshadow the love,
    That seeing her gives me.
    You need but to marry us,
    Then love-ending death do what it will-
    It is enough that she is mine.

Here, Romeo is saying that his love overpowers everything else. The only thing that truly matters to him is his one true love, Juliet. He only needs her to be his, and then his life could be over, just because he will have achieved true happiness. Friar Lawerence, is telling Romeo that this is not the best idea. He is warning him that things this drastic have drastic endings to them. These things destroy the lives of the people involved. The sweetest things in life are often too good to be true. Their love could never have lasted.

Reply
  4. arihantp1

Amen Amen! Whatever sorrows occur
    Cannot stop the joy I feel
    Whenever I look at her
    Do thou join our hands with holy words
    Then, death may do whatever it pleases
    As long as I can call her mine

In this speech we can clearly see how eager Romeo is to be with Juliet. He joyfully says that he is fine with dying as long as Juliet is his wife. Romeo does not care of the consequences that may occur because of his actions. Friar Lawrence on the other hand, warns Romeo that this could end in fire and flames. He then advises Romeo to love Juliet moderately, which would lead to a happy, long marriage. However, due to Romeo’s brashness, I don’t think he will follow the Friar’s advice, leading him to his inevitable doom.

Reply
    1. margauxc

I definitely agree that Romeo takes a joyful air when contemplating his potential death- which conveys his eagerness and recklessness. Your analysis is definitely genius and well-written.

Reply
  5. caias1

Amen, amen. But whatever sadness occurs,
    It could not ruin the joy I feel when I am within her sights for a even minute
    Brings us together with holy words, and death can do what he wants.
    I will be fine fine as long as I am able to call her mine

In Romeo’s speech, he shows how serious he is about Juliet. He states, “But come what sorrow can, It cannot countervail the exchange of joy that one short minute gives me in her sight,” saying that no matter what sorrow and misfortune he encounters, one minute looking at Juliet will make his world better again. He does, however foreshadow their impending demise when he says, “Then love-devouring death do what he dare – It is enough I may but call her mine.”

Friar Lawrence is more realistic about Romeo and Juliet’s rushed love, comparing it to honey. Too much may taste good, but it leaves you with a stomach ache. He encourages Romeo to take their romance more moderately, but Romeo does not listen. If he had listen to Friar Lawrence, maybe his and Juliet’s romance would not have ended the way it did.

Reply
  6. margauxc

Amen, amen!
    Let dismay run its course,
    For it cannot possibly rival the swell of joy within me when I attain her eye.
    With holy words, do join us
    And I’d no longer regard the actions of mortal love.
    If I may call her mine then that would be enough.

Romeo discerns the risks of his union with Juliet within his speech, yet dismisses the potential fatality of their star-crossed love. By accepting what may come, Romeo demonstrates an imprudent air that emphasizes his youthful and naive nature. Interestingly enough, he does not take into consideration Juliet’s well-being. In lines seven through eight, Romeo declares, “Then love-devouring death do what he dare, it is enough I may but call her mine.” If he knows of the mortality of their love, then why would Romeo continue his pursuit? Through compromising Juliet’s life for the sake of love, Romeo conveys an ignorant/oblivious bearing on the matter. Even if Romeo happens to believe that only he will be affected by death- he still isn’t taking into consideration how his death might affect Juliet’s mental health. In contrast, within Friar Lawrence’s speech- the fatality of their love is stressed upon repeatedly. A more serious tone lies behind the friar’s speech, and the warnings which Romeo brushed aside previously are forced to be acknowledged thoroughly. However, despite the difference in their approaches, both Friar Lawrence and Romeo express the same perpetual truth; these “violent delights” Romeo and Juliet share will inevitably end in tragedy.

Reply
    1. francescaa

I agree that Romeo’s speech does bring out the nature of his “dream big” personality. No matter how many times the Friar has told Romeo to slow down, he doesn’t listen. His stubborn actions reminded me of teenagers, they think they know it all, but in reality they don’t even know the half of it.

Reply
    2. eshap

I agree, Romeo’s concerns are brought up by Friar Lawrence to warn him of what might happen due to their marriage. He cares simply if he is going to be with his love, not Juliet’s place in the matter. He finally is in love with someone who return his love, but Friar Lawrence contradicts it with the idea that it might not last, foreshadowing future events.

Reply
  7. tarika1

Amen, amen! But when sadness comes,
    It cannot overcome the joy,
    That I get from spending one minute with her.
    Bring us together with holy prayer,
    Then death can do whatever because she is still mine.

In Romeo’s speech, is explaining how much happiness he gets with Juliet. They will die together in happiness as shown in the lines “Then love-devouring death do what he dare – It is enough I may but call her mine.” In Friar Lawrence’s speech, he explains how love is short and lovers should be happy for as long as they can. He explains hoe love can end badly and shows a more realistic thought (maybe he has seen it happen before). The lovers die too soon instead of in happiness.

Reply
  8. ilyssal

Amen, amen. But true sadness can only accomplish what it must.
    Nothing can bring me down from this love.
    Though holy words secure us together.
    Death can only separate us temporarily, to be able to call Juliet my own is enough.

Through his speech, Romeo is conveying his love for Juliet really is as deep as he makes it out to be. He wants to show Friar Lawrence that this is not the same as his past love with Rosaline. Romeo truly is in love with Juliet, and she is in love with him as well. He speaks about death, and it being the only way to separate the lovers. This fascinates me, because in the end, Romeo and Juliet resort to death to remain together as a couple. They believe their love is strong enough to break the deep hatred between the Capulets and the Montagues.

Reply
  9. faithw

Amen, amen!
    No matter the amount of sadnesses that occur,
    I will always feel joy as long as I look at my love
    You just need to join our hands with holy words
    It is enough for me if I can call her mine.

In his speech, Romeo talks to Friar Lawrence about the amount of love he has for his soon-to-be wife, Juliet. Although Romeo loves Juliet more than life itself, Friar Lawrence is still hesitant about whether or not he should marry the two. Friar Lawrence shows his concern regarding the marriage when he states “These violent delights have violent ends And in their triumph die, like fire and powder”. The quotation above means that even the best things in life can end horribly. In an instant, the great joy of love can be blown up and destroyed.

Reply
  10. Kat

In Romeo’s speech we once again see how in love Romeo is with Juliet. He talks about how she brings him joy. He also talks about how without her his world would be dark and meaningless. Romeo also talks about how he feels when he is with Juliet. He says that when they are together he savors every moment. When Romeo says, “Then love-devouring death do what he dare” this part seemed different from other pieces of dialogue in the book. Usually the characters foreshadow the death of the “star crossed lovers”. However this is one of the rare instances where we get hope for them. He is saying that their intense love will overcome death. However we know that this is not true and death will overcome their love in the end.

However unlike Romeo, the Friars speech is more negative. The Friar is saying that the more they fall in love, the more danger they are in. The farther these two fall into the pit of their love the closer they come to death. However the friar knows that at this point it is too late for them. They are already deep in love and can/will not be torn away from each other. I saw the last line of his speech and I thought he was saying that death has already arrived and this marriage seals their fate.

Reply
    1. avae1

I agree, Romeo is completely blinded by the intensity of his love, and the Friar is there to remind him that danger will be in his future if he continues to love at this extent.

Reply
    2. alexo

Agreed! The Friar warns about the dangers facing the couple, but Romeo does not take heed of it.

Reply
  11. avae1

Amen Amen! Whatever sorrows come,
    Cannot surpass the joy I feel,
    As I look at her even for a short minute.
    If you will only marry us with holy words,
    From then on let death do its duty,
    It is enough for me to call her my one and only.

Romeo takes the promise, “Until death do us part” quite literally in his speech, as he plans to enjoy every moment of his marriage. It is made clear how anxious Romeo is to wed Juliet, and desires not to waste any moments with her. He states that watching her pass for only a minute provides him with more satisfaction than death could ever remove. Romeo is not afraid of the consequences, or his own love, he simply embraces it with the utmost pleasure. He prepares to be proud of his wife and does not consider how quickly he makes this decision.

Friar Lawrence’s speech develops the idea that love so extreme has an end of a similar condition. He tells Romeo that it is better to love deliberately, for the results are sweeter and last longer. Romeo and the Friar’s suggestions contradict each other. Romeo has more of the “live in the moment” mentality, and is not concerned about what the future may hold. In his mind, there is no time to waste. In contrast, Friar Lawrence believes that fierce emotions that begin quickly also die quickly, so one should avoid loving too excessively. Friar Lawrence also mentions food and appetite’s in his speech. He expands on the fact that if one eats slower, they will greater appreciate the taste. At this point whether Romeo adheres to this method of love is up for him to decide. Although prior to this, the reader knows that the outcome is surely not a long and fulfilled marriage.

Reply
  12. alexo

Amen, amen! but what can sorrow can,
    It cannot offset the exchange of joy,
    That one short minute in her sight gives me
    Please marry us,
    let love-destroying death do the rest after-
    I am content with her being mine.

These strong delights have violent ends
    And in victory, they burn up, like fire and powder,
    Which as they kiss, consume.
    The sweetest honey
    is loathsome yet delicious,
    and in the taste hurts the appetite.
    So, love moderately’ This is how long love lives.
    Too fast is as bad as too slow.

From these two speeches, we can see two contrasting, but equally true, statements. Romeo talks about how wonderful being around Juliet is, and how just being with her for a minute fills him with joy. Friar, on the other hand, warns about how dangerous this blind love is, and says that a love like this would not last long.

Reply
    1. christophert3

I completely agree. One can see clearly that there is a great contrast between the meanings of the two speeches.

Reply
  13. Tyler Newby

Amen, Amen! Whatever sadness occurs,
    I cannot control my feelings for her.
    Once we get married, then I can die,
    As long as she is mine.

Romeo is glad that he is finally getting married. He absolutely adores Juliet. Romeo doesn’t care whatever bad things happen to him, as long as she loves him back and they are married.
    He even said that he would not mind death at this point. Perhaps this is foreshadowing how Romeo dies later in the play. I also wonder if Juliet feels the same way, if she would be ok with death after marrying Romeo.

Reply
  14. francescaa

Romeo’s speech:
    Amen, amen!
    No matter what sorrow comes
    It cannot suppress my joy
    That she gives me when I look at her
    Holy words will bond us for life,
    Then death may do whatever he pleases-
    Under one circumstance, I can call her mine

Friar Lawrence’s speech:
    Things that come with happiness, end tragically
    And all their love will vanish
    When they kiss
    The sweetness of their love is shown
    Hated by their parents, despite the happiness of their children
    When love is too strong it soon disappears
    In Order to be in long love you must love in moderation
    Love too fast is almost as bad as love that comes too slow

After reading these two speeches I realized that there is a lot of foreshadowing. In his speech, Romeo says that he will love Juliet forever, even if it leads them to their deathbeds. Despite all the references to death, Romeo’s speech was meant to bring hope to the new couple. He claims that their love with be everlasting and that death cannot destroy the love they have for one and other. Once again, it Romeo proves to the reader that he is madly in love.

As a friend of Romeo, Friar Lawrence want to look out for him. He know how dangerous blind love can be, and does not want Romeo to end up in that situation. Time and time again Friar Lawrence advises Romeo that love takes time and patience, and getting married to a girl you met a day ago is probably a foolish idea. However, Romeo insists that Juliet is perfect for him and eventually convinces the Friar to conduct their wedding.

Reply
  15. willowm

Romeo:
    Amen, amen! But if any sadness occurs,
    It cannot outweigh the amount of joy
    I feel after being with her for only a minute.
    If you marry us,
    Then let love-devouring death take me,
    It is enough that I can call her mine.

Here Romeo is saying he is fine with dying as long as when the time comes he can call Juliet his wife. Friar Lawrence says that Romeo needs to slow down. Both speeches foreshadow the death of Romeo and Juliet. In Romeo’s speech he says “Then love-devouring death do what he dare- it is enough I may call her but mine.” Friar Lawrence says “The violent delights have violent ends.” He worries that this extreme love that Romeo feels for Juliet can end in an instant.

Reply
  16. marinas1

Amen, amem. But come what misery may
    It can never outweigh the exchange of cheer
    That one minute of seeing her gives me.
    If you would only join our hands with your holy words,
    Then all love-consuming death may do what he dare,
    For it is enough for me to merrily call her mine.

In this excerpt, we again see just how much of a romantic Romeo truly is. Romeo does not ponder over the consequences of this marriage that he is about to partake in. Rather, he revels in affectation. He can think of nothing but Juliet, and is blisteringly happy to be getting married to her. He is truly in love, so much so that he would rather die than be without his “fair maiden”. On another note, his line about “‘love-devouring death'” does indeed spark some foreshadowing, for we as readers already know that their passionate love will unlitimately end their lives. In this passage, he clearly says that he would rather have death than never have been hers, poetically describing the outcome of his own life.

Friar Lawrence’s monologue is quite different:
    These passionate delights may have violent outcomes
    And when they become all-consuming, death occurs, like fire and gunpowder,
    Which, as they kiss, devour. The sweetest honey
    Is abhorrent in its own deliciousness.
    Therefore, love reasonably. Long love has always occurred when following that protocol.
    That which goes too fast has the littlest success.

From this, we see Friar Lawrence’s take on Romeo’s love for Juliet. Friar Lawrence thinks that Romeo needs to love more slowly, and slow down the pace of his love for Juliet. According to Friar Lawrence, Romeo will have more success with Juliet if Romeo does as he told him to do. This, yet again, happens to be more foreshadowing towards Romeo and Juliet’s untimely deaths. Clearly, they loved all too vigorously, and ended up paying for it in the long run, just as Friar Lawrence had warned. This is quite interesting, for just a little while ago Ms. Quinson had told us that many blame Friar Lawrence for Romeo and Juliet’s deaths. If he had not have married them, they would (supposedly) not have died. However, Friar Lawrence clearly warned Romeo before he had married the two of them, so what went wrong? I suspect that Romeo, being the romantic he is, had not listened nor taken any of Frair Lawrence’s advice, ultimately leading to his, as well as Juliet’s, death.

Reply
  17. cameronl3

Amen, amen! But come what sorrow can,
    It cannot take away the joy
    That I get from seeing her, even if it’s for just a second.
    Do thou bring our hands together with holy words,
    Then let death try and end our love –
    As long as as she is mine.

From the two speeches we see much about Romeo’s love for Juliet. He is very eager and excited to marry his true love, and wants to rush to get married. He continues to ask Friar Lawrence to marry them, and let forget about all other things. Friar Lawrence, being a much more realistic person, tells him not all good things last forever, such as love. No love can last forever, due to the fact that no one can live forever. Only time will be the judge to see whether or not this love is actually true.

Reply
  18. christophert3

After reading the speeches of Romeo and Friar Lawrence above, I understand them more clearly, having taken the time to do so. Romeo’s speech speaks about the joy he feels while in the presence of Juliet being far greater than any sorrow that he feels at all. He states that he would be ready to die, as long as he can be married to her and call her his wife. Then, we go on to see Friar Lawrence’s slightly less optimistic speech. I believe the meaning of his speech is that, things which bring great joy can also bring great sadness. He also says that, if one rushes to much, they can be just as late as one who is moving too slow. From this, we understand that Romeo and Juliet will really be happy together. As we can see, he finds a great amount of joy just being in her presence. But, as we can see from what Friar Lawrence says, things that bring great joy have terrible ends. This being a foreshadowing of the ending of their tragedy. Then again, Romeo also did state he was ready to die, having been married to Juliet at last. The one thing that confuses me so much though is how strong their love is, or how strong they think it is, after less than two days knowing each other.

Reply
  19. maddy

Amen, amen! Undeterred by adversities,
    The cascade of joy I encounter upon meeting her gaze shall not be impeded.
    All that I am adjuring you is to have us unified as one in holy matrimony,
    Then death may wreak whatever distress he desires so –
    For so long as she is mine, it will suffice.

This excerpt transpired shortly prior to Friar Lawrence wedding Romeo and Juliet. Friar Lawrence had previously stated, “So smile the heavens upon this holy act/That after-hours with sorrow chide us not.” It is depicted within these lines that the friar hopes for a blessed marriage, as he views there to be likely potential of sorrow and remorse resulting. Romeo thus responded with the aforementioned excerpt, which further conveyed how profound an amount he is willing to sacrifice for Juliet. Romeo states that the subsequent troubles Friar Lawrence is apprehensive of are not bothersome to him, for he is certain that they will not dilapidate his love for Rosaline. In addition, Romeo states that if misfortune does arise, it will be worth the distress – all because he would be with Juliet. He goes so far as to mention that he would embrace tragedy such as his death as a consequence of his marriage.

Friar Lawrence’s proceeding speech is additional extensive forewarning. The friar further warned Romeo that being wedded to Juliet was a decision all too rash. Although he did not mention so as mentioned aforehand, Romeo had barely met Juliet, and the wounds from his previous love for Rosaline remained not entirely healed. Romeo was told that if he and Juliet continued being hasty with their love, there would be detrimental results. The central point Friar Lawrence conveyed within his speech is that decelerating the pace of their relationship and letting it run its intended course would be wisest to avoid distress. Foreshadowing within this speech is particularly blatant within the first line: “These violent delights have violent ends…” One may find that the term “…violent delights…” alludes to Romeo and Juliet’s love, and that the term “…violent ends…” alludes [partially] to Romeo and Juliet taking their lives.

Reply
  20. laurena2

Amen, Amen! Whatever sorrows are present
    Can’t destroy my great joy
    Looking at her for one minute.
    Do thou bring us together with holy wars
    Then love-devouring death may do its job
    Because she will always be mine.

In both Romeo and Friar Lawrence’s speech, we see that Friar Lawrence is nervous to marry a couple as joyous as Romeo and Juliet. Friar Lawrence says that too much joy and love can lead to violent endings. This completely foreshadows that Romeo and Juliet’s love will become completely broken to to the feud between their families.

Reply
  21. eshap

Amen, amen. Let the sorrow be present
    For it cannot exceed the amount of joy
    That I feel while seeing her for one minute
    If you would join our hands with holy words
    Then let death do as he pleases
    For I am satisfied calling her mine

In Romeo’s speech, he lets out his love for Juliet once again, without giving a thought about the consequences. He compares their love against sorrow, and love-devouring death. Comparing love against sorrow is not as severe as comparing love to death. Romeo and Juliet’s love is so strong that it doesn’t matter if death takes them after their marriage. As long as they are together, death can’t do anything to break their love apart. For them, their love in never-ending, and death is not something that can take away what they have. Romeo and Juliet has an unbreakable love, which can survive even through death. They simply have to be together, and marriage is one way they can. Furthermore, the mention of love-devouring death foreshadows what is about to happen. Here, Romeo gives insight towards their death that will occur late on.

These extreme delights come with violent ends
    And when they prevail, die, like fire and gunpowder
    Which, as they touch, consume. The sweetest honey
    Is repugnant in its own deliciousness
    And in it’s taste, confuse the appetite
    Therefore love fairly. Long love comes when loving fairly.
    That disappears all too quickly for one to enjoy.

In comparison to Romeo’s speech, what Friar Lawrence says is more realistic. While Romeo’s had incorporated his romantic side, Friar Lawrence speaks truth. He states how love is like honey, for it can seem like the most delectable thing, but once you are there, it becomes confusing to understand when it’s not how you expected. Rushing can only lead to violent ends, as Friar Lawrence foreshadows their death. Friar Lawrence advises Romeo to take things slowly when it comes to love, and marriage shouldn’t be of question so soon. Romeo and Juliet had only met the previous day, and they were already getting married. Friar Lawrence had warned Romeo that no good could come of it, which is true. Ultimately, Romeo and Juliet’s marriage is what leads to their death. In addition, the last line of Friar Lawrence’s speech is quite interesting. Falling in love quickly can cause the love to fall apart faster. Romeo, as we have seen, is quite romantic, but he has declared that they get married after they meet for only one day. The result of rushing is not only their love falling apart, but their deaths as well.

Reply
    1. alekhya

That is a very interesting point you brought up Esha. One could say that inevitably their deaths were caused by Romeo’s rushing into love to quickly.

Reply
  22. alekhya

Romeo: Amen, amen. No sadness can
    affect the joy I feel
    when I saw her.
    If you will marry us together,
    death can do whatever he wants,
    It won’t matter as long as Juliet is my wife.

In this speech Romeo speaks of his passion for Juliet, a passion so strong that even death cannot affect the pure joy upon seeing her face. He says to Friar Lawrence that nothing will matter to him after he marries Juliet and by joining their hands in marriage he is ensuring Romeo’s absolute happiness.

Friar Lawrence: Your extreme love may end in an extreme manner,
    and it may only burn so brightly for a short time.
    You may become tired of such extreme love and passion
    and lose your bright desire for it.
    So love at a slow pace so that it will last longer.
    If you love too quickly it will not be love at all.

In his speech Friar Lawrence takes a far more realistic perspective and tries to impart some caution unto Romeo. He says to the young man, blinded by his love, to slow down in his passion for Juliet. Like a fire burning on powder, their love may shine brightly for some time but it will fizzle out when they have both lost their desire for such extreme passion. He tells Romeo to love in moderation so that it may last longer and build more love as time goes on.

Reply
  23. adam

Amen, Amen! Whatever may come,
    It cannot override the sensation of happiness.
    In a short time I see me in her eyes
    And we will be attached by word
    And so death can do as he wishes
    As long as she is my lady

This is the speech by Romeo to Friar Lawrence. He states that no matter what happens to him, as long as he is with Juliet, he will be happy and fulfilled. He sees the perfect match in him and Juliet, and so does she. Once they are married, they will be forever happy and completely satisfied with their lives. This shows the perfect life Romeo invisions and how much he believes he needs Juliet.

Such powerful feelings have powerful ends
    And after victory is unexpected
    And when they kiss
    The beautiful love
    Is genuine and beautiful
    And satisfies them both
    So, love eachother, but in moderation
    Love that is rushed is as bad as love slowed.
    In this speech, Friar lawrence is trying to convince and explain to Romeo what his love will actually be like. He says that there is no need to be going so quick with Juliet, and that the love may not last as long as Romeo may think, because anything can happen. He tells Romeo that such intense loving may result in an unfortunate result, while moderation leads to better results.

Reply
  24. ivanl

Amen, Amen! I cannot feel any sadness for, my happiness is so much everytime I see her. Soon we will be married, and deatg may do it wants, but Juliet will forever be my wife.

With this speech, Romeo explains to Friar that he will be happy no matter what happens to him, now that Juliet is his wife. There is the foreshadowing of death in this speech too, leading into them commiting suicide.

Such strong love may come to an end. Your passion for her might not laat as you think it would. So love slowly! It will last longer and be better. For quick love will end all too soon.

In this speech by Friar Lawrence, he is explaining to Romeo that moving so quickly along in the relationship may have negative outcomes. He explains to Romeo that his intense love may end, perhaps in the same way as Rosaline. The dangers Friar Lawrence warns of are unforseen by Romeo, however, the audience knows they end up taking their own lives.

Reply
  25. briannag3

Amen, amen! Whatever sadness comes,
    It can’t beat the amount of joy I feel
    Every time I see her.
    When you marry us,
    Then death can do whatever he wants –
    As long as I am able to call her mine.

In this speech Romeo is saying that as long as Juliet is his wife, nothing can bring down his mood. He says that not even death could make him upset now that they’re truly together.

These extreme joys must come to an end
    your love will not last and you may
    become tired of this feeling after a while.
    So love slowly and it will last long
    If you do so too fast there is no love at all.

Friar Lawrence says that Romeo needs to be careful with his love to be certain that it lasts. He is explaining to Romeo that a love as fast paced as his will soon die out as quickly as it started.

Reply