Throw your mistempered weapons to the ground, / And hear the sentence of your movèd prince.
Tonight you should read the first four pages of Act I, scene i, of Romeo and Juliet, (lines 1- 105). Please be sure to check out the verso (the left side of the page) for the summary of the scene and extra information about specific words, as you read. Also, be sure to ANNOTATE, but keep it useful for you as we discussed in class. Be sure to note special parts of the text that you found interesting, unusual, or surprising; please also keep a list of questions you would like to bring up with the class.
Then, write your response here. For the response you MAY want to consider the following questions:
- How does the fight start? develop? conclude?
- What does this tell us about the overall conflict?
- How does this part of scene i establish the setting for the play?
- What predictions or theories do you have based on the events so far?
- How was reading the play different from the movie version we saw together?
- How did seeing the movie version first change your understanding of the text?