32 thoughts on ““Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.”

1. Toa Neil

This means,don’t trust anything you don’t see and even then be open minded. I try to follow this because people lie a lot. Also you could make a mistake.

Reply
  2. tarika1

This adage means to not believe everything you see and hear. I do not follow this adage because like in “Night”, faith is important. Although blindly following ideas is not a smart thing to do, having faith can be a good thing to have. Faith can help people through a time of struggling, it can help through coping, and it can do many other things. Sometimes you have to believe if it is going to help .

Reply
  3. Tyler Newby

This means that all information should be taken with a grain of salt. That means that one should not believe all of the information that one receives. Not everything you see, read or hear is true. When the speaker says believe half of what you see, he or she means that what you see with your own eyes may be true, but you may not know the full story. When the speaker says believe none of what you hear, he or she is saying that any information someone is telling you has a very good chance of being a rumor, exaggerated or just straight up false. I follow this adage because if you believe everything, you could cause harm to yourself or someone else. Moral of the story; do not believe everything you see, read or hear.

Reply
    1. christophert3

I agree. Your comprehension of this statement makes a lot of sense. I also like how you explained the adage using another adage or saying.

Reply
  4. caias1

This means that you should always be skeptical until given proof. Everything you hear or see you should be wary of until it can be proven true. I follow this advice all the time, because people will often lie and gossip to tell a good story. I do not really trust stories that were told second hand, because many times stories can get blown out of proportion.

Reply
  5. christophert3

I believe this statement is saying that we shouldn’t believe what others tell us – “none of what you hear.” I also believe that it is saying, when we go to find out something knew, you should also doubt what you find, leaving room for questioning and improvement. I must say that I don’t really follow this at all. I am very dependent on others and the information they give. I don’t question anything unless it doesn’t make sense to me or it goes against what I believe and think. Also, when I see something for myself, I completely believe it. I never question my eyes unless there’s is something that makes no sense, and even then I don’t really believe what I am seeing is wrong.

Reply
  6. briannag3

This adage is trying to tell us not to believe everything we hear. After a true statement gets passed along through different people it begins to change and is not true once it gets around to you. You need to question it and shouldn’t believe it until it is proven. Most people need to see something to believe it. When something is in front of us and we are able to view it, we are more likely to believe it than if we just hear about it.

Reply
  7. avae1

This statement is advising that one should always be skeptical of information they receive, by any method of communication. Hearing things from other people is completely untrustworthy. This is because when stories or information are passed around by word of mouth, it is easy for it to become falsified and often does. People can simply change up words that drastically alter the story and shouldn’t be believed. Witnessing things is a better source to rely on because it is firsthand information. Although one should always be open to more information and evidence on the subject. I like to believe that I follow this advice, although sometimes I lose focus and have to reassess what I truly should be believing.

Reply
  8. arihantp1

The statement means you shouldn’t always trust what you see, and you should certainly never believe what you hear others say. You should remain doubtful until you are presented with evidence. Many people tweak the truth, or blatantly lie to convince others something is true, but make it a lie in the process. Others include or leave out details to make something interesting but false. This could be hurtful to many people if it is directly about them or have something to do with them. I always try to follow this advice, and always doubt things I hear and see, due to being constantly told to “question everything.”

Reply
  9. sofiad1

This means that you can’t trust what you hear, and can only sometimes trust what you see. An example of this is in the past couple of weeks when people were boycotting the new movie A Dog’s Purpose because they had “abused the dog” when in actuality the footage had been manipulated. I agree with this advice because most things we see are manipulated by the media. So we must be careful.

Reply
  10. maddy

I interpret this old adage as advice to base the predominance of one’s beliefs on one’s experiences rather than those of others. It is encouragement to be self-reliant, and to question the legitimacy of what we hear; not automatically assuming what others say to be true. In addition, this quotation can be disputed as against keeping an open mind, a topic we briefly touched upon during our debate unit.

This piece of advice is one that I try my best to follow on behalf of various reasons. I believe that it is best to be wary rather than trusting. One’s personal experiences are far more reliable than secondhand sources that have the likely potential of being faulty, to an extent.

Reply
  11. ilyssal

I think this old adage means that sometimes the media is twisted. We can’t always believe what is on television or what is on the internet. I disagree with this statement because I think it is the other way around. We should have more trust in the news and more reliable evidence rather than listening to what others around us say. Though many things are manipulated by the media because of biased writers, reliable sources should remain trusted.

Reply
  12. marinas1

This old adage shows that people should not believe everything they hear. This has to do with how rumors are constantly being made and transferred between people. You can never really trust what a friend says to you about someone else, for the sentence will usually start with “‘I heard this from…and they said…'”. For all you know, this rumor was started by someone you do not even know, most certaintly an invalid source. In addition, this adage also warns people to not believe everything they see. This may be seen as a foolish warning, for if you see something happen with your own eyes, it must be seen as an entirely valid idea. However, this is not always the case. Take the novella “Ethan Frome” by Edith Wharton, for example. In the first few pages, the anonymous narrator sees Ethan Frome’s scar, plastered along the side of his face, but he can not really assume anything from that. There is always more to the story, which, in this case, is only explained 100 pages later, at the end of the novella. Also, this adage has to do with the perspective you put on an idea. With your eyesight, you only see one part of a whole. If you think about it another way, you will see a different side to the idea that had previously presented itself.

I would like to say that I follow this piece of advice, for it would make me an independent thinker, apart from everyone else. However, in the kind of society we live in, it is nearly impossible to do so. First impressions are things that people constantly fret about, for they can make or break job interviews or the first day of a new school. With so much emphasis on seeing someone for the fist time and right off the bat being obliged to assume things about them, how can I not judge things by how I see them? In addition, rumors are inescapable words passed along from person to person. It is highly improbable to think that you can step into school or any other social environment and not have words (truthful or not) fed into your ears.

Reply
  13. alexo

I believe the adage means that you should be wary of your opinion, and don’t think about trusting anyone else’s. Although this might sound good on paper, I disagree. However, I also think that you shouldn’t trust everything you hear from anyone in the world.

I believe that before you should trust anyone’s word, you must first get to know them, and decide for yourself whether they’re trustable or not. Trusting what you hear should be a case by case and person by person decision. As for trusting what you see, you should only trust what you absolutely know, and not go off facts you assume are true.

Reply
  14. charlottes

This adage means that you should think twice before believing something. While seeing something happen, you could only have a view of it from one side, not seeing the other. In this, your judgement is contorted. Hearing information from another person could not be true. What they tell you could be altered to have them see favorable. Everything around you could be changed to get you on their side. I do follow this piece of advice. Being lied to by someone to make them seem right or positive is not rare. Everyone wants people to side with them in an argument or a story. Seeing something is a different story. When you experience something with your own eyes, YOU could be the one altering it. Say what you see is your best friend fighting with someone about a piece of homework. Of course you are going to automatically side with your best friend, because you trust them. You trust that they are fighting for the right reasons, but you haven’t heard the other person’s opinion. This happens a lot, and some don’t even bother to hear the other side of the argument. That is how you are only seeing and believing half. I believe that everyone should live by this old adage.

Reply
  15. francescaa

This old adage advises the human race to use their best judgement before they believe something told orally. As we all know, rumors are often spread because people believe what they hear and have an urge to spread it along. It is much more credible if you see something for yourself rather than hearing someone else’s interpretation of the story. By the time you get the news, who knows who has twisted words or added fake details. In my opinion, this is a pretty good statement to live by, at least in most instances. I am sure that when you were a kid you played the game Telephone. Somehow, someway, they message never gets to the last person on the line the same way it started. Obviously, when we were 3 and 4 years old we weren’t thinking about how this applied to real life. All in all, I believe you need to use your judgement and decided what is “good news” and what is “bad news.” A perfect example of this is the press. People are always quick to pounce on the newest news but half of the time, these articles are false. As educated people we need to do our own research and not believe what other people may be telling you.

Reply
  16. Kat

The old adage written above is one that is something that I agree with but not many people follow. It is a principle that not many people are able to follow. People are often blinded by their love and their friendships so they will believe what they hear from someone that they trust. People only want to see the good in others, my self included. I also feel that to live like this is not truly living at all. If you live your life believing half what you see, and none of what you hear you will live a lonely life and never believe anything. I think that this is a good idea to keep in mind but not a philosophy I would live by.

Reply
    1. faithw

I think it is a good idea not to believe much of what we hear and/or see, but I agree with you that this is not easily done.

Reply
    2. faithw

I think it is a good idea not to believe much of what we see and/or hear, but I agree with you that this is not easily done.

Reply
  17. margauxc

In some situations, lies distributed by those with silver tongues are countered with the initial truth, creating confusion when both words spread- confusion as to which stories are the truth and which are mere tall tales. This is why an individual should always believe half of what they see and none of what they hear. Anything orally passed down is most likely unreliable, and taking the risk of trusting these words is a risk too great to take. Even when stories are not shared orally, but rather visually- appearances can be deceiving. What you believe you see will most likely not be what was actually transpiring. I aspire to adhere to this this adage, due to the concept of morality obtained within. Imagine the immense guilt an individual endures after discovering that they were responsible for someone’s pain- and primarily, pain is what occurs after rumors are spread. I don’t think I could possibly pursue genuine happiness when someone else is suffering because of my actions- which is why I will always believe nothing I hear and only half of what I see.

Reply
  18. willowm

This adage means that people should not believe everything they hear or see. Often people spread falsehoods and people should be a little bit skeptical when they hear information so they can sort out the facts. Even accidentally truths can become false when everyone who retells it changes one part until it is unrecognizable, which is why the adage says to be especially weary of what you hear. The adage also says that not everything one reads is true. This is something we are seeing a lot of today with more and more people getting their news from social media. Through social media, it is very easy to spread fake news and statistics in order to push one’s agenda. Often, if a person agrees with that agenda they will accept the information as true, and not look into it because it proves their point, no matter how illegitimate the information is. People should always try to seek the truth, and to do this they must learn how to determine reliable sources and how to check the information being given to them.

Reply
  19. alekhya

This old adage reflects on human perspective and twisted words. As for not believing everything you hear, when information passes from one ear to another it can be exaggerated or over-simplified based on the speaker’s perspective. I have often noticed that a few of my friends when sharing someone with me provide me with more of their opinion than the information. When listening to them I try my best to sort out their opinion and make sure that I do not form an opinion based on the little information they have provided.
    As for believing half of what you see, in my social studies class towards first quarter we discussed how opinion effects what we “think” we have seen. When thinking back to what we thought we saw our opinion can effect how we retell the scene. Overall I believe this old adage is trying to convey that information can be morphed when passed from ear to ear and what you see may not be what you think you are seeing.

Reply
  20. laurena2

I interpret this old adage to suggest that we always be open minded and never follow others’ opinions. We all have our own opinion, and we should embrace it. “Believe half of what you see” because what we see determines our opinion. However, we should be open minded to the other side of the argument. Believe “none of what you hear” because others’ opinions does not determine ours. Why trust a source with no evidence? For all we know, they can be lying. Embrace your own opinion, however, do not be limited to only one option.

Reply
  21. faithw

The quote means that you shouldn’t blindly trust everything you see and/or hear as the information may not be 100% truthful or accurate. I think this is true for several reasons. If a friend told you a story about a peer, you would have no way to know if the tale was honest or a mere lie. Also, rumors spread like the childhood game, telephone. As each person hears a story, they alter it a tiny bit, which can have the effect of changing the overall story dramatically. The quote seems to imply that we should not listen to hearsay or information that we are receiving second hand. If we see something directly, we can have somewhat more faith that it is as it appears, yet even looks can be deceiving. For example, Hagrid, the groundskeeper at Hogwarts in the Harry Potter series looks scary and unapproachable with his large size and long hair, but in reality he turns out to be a gentle and caring friend to Harry and his peers.

Reply
  22. cameronl3

This old adage’s meaning is that you should not believe in everything you see or hear, no matter where it is coming from. I usually do not tend to follow this moral, due to the fact that it is okay to be wrong. That is how you learn from listening to what you think or say. To believe in something you read or hear about is completely normal, especially when it is coming from a credible source. One opposing factor I do follow is faith, and that’s something that you need to have in certain situations, unlike what this quote states.

Reply
  23. ivanl

This old adage suggests that you shouldn’t always trust everything you hear, or even sometimes what you see yourself. This is because things can change between people when it is explained orally. This is evident in things like folk tales, stories passed from generation to generation through mouth, and supposedly the next version is nothing like the original. I generally don’t follow this advice, given my source is reputable, I will take whatever they say as the truth, unless it is absolutely absurd, which is when I will go look for another person to say the same thing before I believe it.

Reply
  24. Esha Pandya

“Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.”
    This old adage shows how what we see and hear can be misleading. When you hear something from a friend, can it be trusted? Whatever they tell you will have their own opinion mixed in, making you want to believe them. Furthermore, the original statement might have come from an unreliable source, such as another person or a website (that may have its own opinions). No matter how much you want to believe them, there are many things to be considered. After all, they might be stating a false statement they might think is true. Without enough information on the topic, it makes it difficult to believe a friend’s opinion. In addition, everything we see cannot be completely true. For example, we have read several books already this year. All of the books were moderately simple to read with varying vocabulary. The plot and text was simple to understand, however, not everything is seen at the first glance. Seeing a piece of text for the first time does not mean that there is nothing to understand further from it. From reading certain passages twice, a deeper analysis of the text can be discovered. Many things can be missed if it’s seen only once.

In an ideal world, this adage would be followed by everyone. If this was the case, word spread against a certain person would disappear, since there would be no facts. However, this is not how things work. As much as possible, I try to follow this saying, ignoring rumors and biased opinions. It is nearly impossible to completely ignore these since they are everywhere. Everywhere we go, there’s news (that is usually biased) and rumors of what people might have done. In reality, these may not be true. But, we believe them anyways.

Reply
  25. George

This proverb makes sense because it tells you to not to believe things that come from a second hand source because the truth can become distorted and bent to make a better story. Like a game of telephone. However the part that says believe half of what you see does not make sense. I believe what i see and go by my gut. I don’t believe rumors unless I confirm them myself.

Reply
  26. Rebecca F

This old adage warns against trusting incorrect information. “Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear,”. A person’s eyes can be deceiving. Just because you can see it, does not mean that is is real and of substance. As a person ages, their eyes grow weary and may play tricks on them, fooling their brains. The proverb warns of this, saying that you cannot believe all of what your eyes tell you. You must think and consider before you believe.
    The saying also indicates that you should not to trust any of what you hear. When word travels by mouth, each person alters the tale, changing a word here and there. The words are embellished and revamped, to match the tastes of the speaker. Therefore, it is not wise to believe what you hear from others, as the old dictum adequately states.

Reply
  27. adam

This adage recommends that one does not always have to believe anything one hears or is told. Each person is entitled to their own feelings and beliefs, and doesn’t need to believe something that was told to them. The Adage states that you should believe half of what you hear, meaning that what you see is more reliable than what is told to you. However, just because you may see something, or think you see something, isn’t how it always turns out. Of course, nobody is right all the time.Success does not come without failure, so it is okay to believe some things you hear or see. But this suggests that you are positive in your beliefs before going any further, and not take in any random words or advice from those around you.

Reply