MONICA LEWINSKY

January30

After listening to Monica Lewinsky’s TED talk, consider how you feel about her. Has your position on her involvement with President Clinton changed? Has your position on either President Clinton or Hillary Clinton changed? What do you make of her decision to speak out?

by posted under Uncategorized | 61 Comments »    
61 Comments to

“MONICA LEWINSKY”

1. January 29th, 2018 at 9:06 pm       ryang7 Says:

Watching this Ted Talk, I gained a lot of sympathy for Monica Lewinsky. I generally knew what happened during the scandal, but I had no idea the extent to which she harassed. Thinking about it now, the feeling of humiliation must have been unbearable. She went from nobody to an international punching bag in a matter of days. She had no refuge from the onslaught, as she was now notorious around the world. Being the first person to receive the level of public ridicule that the internet could provide, Lewinsky had no basis for how it would go. She would not know when the brunt inflammatory of the attacks would subside, or if the criticism would ever subside. After the first couple of months, when many scandals usually die down, it must have been crushing for her to have kept receiving the same amount of slander. It is also important to consider that she was only twenty two at the time. She was not nearly mentally prepared for how the world would turn against her, and the fact that she did not break is quite impressive. The reason she cites for this strength is the sympathy she received from her family, friends, and even strangers. This is also why I think it is so important that she decided to speak out. She did not let public ridicule and scorn dictate her every move; she regained control of her own narrative and transformed it into something that can help people. She has made her own tragedy into a lesson against humiliation on the internet, a problem that is all too common in today’s society.

• January 29th, 2018 at 9:31 pm       sandraj2 Says:

Monica Lewinsky does continue to be recognized for a mistake she made over 20 years ago because of how social media and newspaper advertised her to be. By standing up for those who have faced similar situations where their privacy was invaded, she does empathize and bring light to an issue that needs change. She is an example of raising out of public humiliation and continuing on with her life, which makes her a good candidate for motivating others that have faced cyber bullying.

• January 29th, 2018 at 9:36 pm       caseym2 Says:

I agree Ryan that her story was most interesting because the harassment was so vicious and brutal that she contemplated ending her life. The way she spoke in her Ted Talk made her more real, not just an object of the media like what we have heard about her in class and on the news.

• January 30th, 2018 at 12:58 am       benm2 Says:

I agree with the idea that the fact that she was twenty-two was incredible. For such a young person to face such ridicule is terrible, especially because it didn’t die down like scandals usually do. It’s impressive how she now stands up to help others that would be in her situation, turning her terrible situation into something that can help others.

2. January 29th, 2018 at 9:23 pm       sandraj2 Says:

After listening to Monica Lewinsky’s TED talk, the beginning had me confused because she was making jokes about this scandal and was not sure why when it has so significantly impacted her life. She continues the talk by blaming the media for advertising her on newspapers and instantaneously humiliating her, cyber bulling her. I was surprised that she does not blame Clinton for anything but the media that blew up with this scandal. It was completely wrong that her ‘friend,’ Linda Tripp had recorded her without consent but Monica Lewinsky does not take responsibility for any of her actions. I do believe that she should speak out for those killed by the internet and social media, because uncovering humiliating truths does invade one’s privacy. Without revealing her video and using it to investigate this scandal, it would have been a ‘he said she said’ case and there would be no resolution. There are many occasions, which she uses as examples of when non-consented footage has been released that ruins one’s life, although this did put a wedge in her life, especially because it was in relation with the President, there would have been evidence that had to have been seen to resolve this case. It is great that she stands up for the slut shaming she has faced and she empathizes with those who have been stabbed with social media’s attacks.

• January 29th, 2018 at 9:52 pm       lindseya4 Says:

I totally agree with you in that I found it weird that she never faults Clinton. She could easily have played the “I was young and stupid” role, but she owns up to her mistakes and offers advice for others in similar situations, which is very admirable. I definitely see Monica Lewinsky in a new light after watching the TED talk and reading your response.

• January 29th, 2018 at 10:06 pm       danielleg6 Says:

Sandra, I also found it interesting that not only did she not place any blame on President Clinton, but she also never mentioned him by name. She only refferring to him as “my boss” a couple times and “the President of the United States” once. But I think that was imporatant because Lewinsky did not want the topic of the talk to be her affair. She wanted to speak about online bullying and it’s dangers.

• January 30th, 2018 at 1:26 am       lesliey1 Says:

While I agree with almost everything you said, I actually found it eye-opening when she jokes about the 1998 scandal. I felt that it showed how much she’s grown and how strong she has become because of what she went through.

• January 30th, 2018 at 2:01 am       priscillam2 Says:

I found it weird too when she opened the speech by making jokes about this traumatizing event in her life. She said later that a day doesn’t go by without her thinking about what happened over a decade ago, yet she can still laugh about it? It confused me too, but I guess she just wanted to grab the audience’s attention? Not too sure but I was hooked and wanted to hear more by the way she started her TED talk.

3. January 29th, 2018 at 9:49 pm       lindseya4 Says:

After hearing Monica Lewinsky’s perspective, I definitely sympathize with her; however, I do not think that she thoroughly explains her side of the story. Though the content can be taken as a weakness of her argument, I actually think that remaining objective strengthens it. Instead of focusing on the “why”, Lewinsky focuses on the “so what”. Why does it matter that an entire nation slut shamed a twenty-two year old woman? Because the shame came with a price. At the height of the scandal, a young Monica Lewinsky’s shame was heightened by the increasing influence of the media. Yet, Lewinsky’s infamy arose before what she refers to as the “digital revolution”; thus, her argument is targeted towards a younger demographic. If a newly emerging industry can cause a twenty-two year old woman to suffer so tremendously that her mother was compelled to “[sit] by [her] bed every night . . . [in] fear [that she] would be humiliated to death “, Lewinsky implies that she can only imagine the impact that today’s media can have. Though most millennials are hardly old enough to recall the “Monica Lewinsky scandal”, Lewinsky highlights that her shame was almost trivial in comparison to that of the subjects of more recent scandals. A young boy names Tyler was documented engaging in explicit acts with another man on the internet and ultimately took his life when the shame became overbearing. The digital revolution sparked a turning point in which the media gained a greater influence, serving as a catalyst for shame. In light of such events, Lewinsky suggests a return to empathy, something that shame cannot survive. She is persuasive in her argument because having survived a prolonged period of shame and public humiliation, Lewinsky’s credentials and advice are second to none.

• January 29th, 2018 at 11:13 pm       ericcheng Says:

Lindsey’ I like your perspective of how Monica Lewinsky handled her situation. Rather than Lewinsky stating that she has been a victim of online harassment, she addresses the bigger issue on the come up – one that will not stop growing if no one addresses it. Ms. Lewinsky focuses on the important reason to why her situation is significant, and it is only the landmark of the start of cyberbullying, as it continues to grow since with the presence of media and internet now.

4. January 29th, 2018 at 9:50 pm       caseym2 Says:

I think that Monica Lewinsky’s Ted Talk was eye opening. The audience was able to hear Monica’s side of the story, her first hand account of the events in 1998, which countered all of the media headlines our class was fed as we researched the relationship between her and President Bill Clinton. By hearing her voice, her tone and her perspective of the story we are able to build a person out of the object that the media abused for decades. It gives the public a chance to understand her point of view and grow the needed “compassion” for others mentioned in her talk. I also liked how she was able to connect her story to the stories of other people who suffered online abuse. She did not emphasize the relationship she had with the President, but she focused on how her story would change the lives of other people who were feeling personally victimized online. Many youths around our age can relate to Monica’s Ted Talk because of the connections she made to the cyber bullying today. All of our lives we have been fed information about cyber bullying, but Monica Lewinsky was, as she said, “patient zero” in the epidemic when no one had experience this widespread abuse, especially on a national scale. I believe that my position on her involvement with President Clinton remains the same but I can understand how the backlash from the public dramatically effected her mental health and overall well-being. After the talk I think that the Clinton’s are partially responsible for the national outcry against Monica. The nation would not have reacted so rashly and negatively against Monica Lewinsky if the President and his team addressed her with respect. Overall the Ted Talk altered my view of Monica Lewinsky and the scandal between her and President Bill Clinton.

• January 29th, 2018 at 10:26 pm       sophiap3 Says:

I really liked that you separated Monica Lewinsky from the object of humiliation which she became when the media leaked this scandal and the public eye became focused on the affair.

5. January 29th, 2018 at 10:19 pm       jamesc7 Says:

This TED Talk gave me a new perspective on cyber-bullying. It truly is a new and unique evil that has entered our world. People can lurk in anonymity and take potshots at anyone they want. By not signing their names to their comments, they are immune and don’t feel any risk in bullying people like Monica Lewinsky.

If you say something on social media, you should feel comfortable signing your name to it. If what you’re saying is so abhorrent that you wouldn’t feel comfortable saying it to someone in public without a mask on your face, you probably should not say it all.

Unfortunately, this is the reality of our day. Trolls exist. Online harassers exist. That means people who are backed into a corner by these people have to grow thick skin. It is unfair that they have to do this, but it is a pragmatic solution.

Anyone with even a minor following on social media get death threats on the daily. The vast majority of these should be cast aside as trolls trying to get a rise out of people.

However, this type of bullying was new to Monica Lewinsky. I can’t say I empathize because I’ve never been in her position, but I can sympathize with her. It makes sense that she was on suicide watch. Imagine being the butt of an incredibly humiliating joke, but the twist is, the entire world is laughing at you; not just your friends or your family– millions and millions of people.

Now I believe that Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton both have a role to play in this scandal. I’ve never liked Hillary or Bill, but I at least I can stand Bill. I really really do not like Hillary Clinton. I think she’s a hypocrite and a compulsive liar. So naturally, I thought Hillary’s 2016 bid for the presidency was laced with hypocrisy. One of her tweets from November 22, 2015 said, “Every survivor of sexual assault deserves to be heard, believed, and supported.” Here is the link to that tweet https://twitter.com/hillaryclinton/status/668597149291184128. Yet during the heat of the scandal where her husband’s political career was on the line, she called Lewinsky “narcissistic loony toon.” Now even if you don’t think Lewinsky was assaulted by Bill Clinton, there are allegations of sexual assault that have been levied at the former president which Hillary rebuked entirely. She also insulted the accusers. It seems that when it is her husband’s reputation on the line, her feminist outlook is thrown out the window.

That being said, my opinion of Hillary and Bill have not changed. I’ve always thought of them as shifty politicians at best, and power-hungry compulsive liars at worst.

I think Monica Lewinsky speaking up is a good thing because it gives a sorely needed perspective on cyber bullying. I applaud her for that.

6. January 29th, 2018 at 10:24 pm       sophiap3 Says:

Personally, I had no real opinion of Monica Lewinsky before learning about the situation, and when I did learn about the situation, I did not think that she was entirely in the wrong. However, after hearing her speak out and share her experiences first hand, I can definitely say that I respect her and understand that she, too, went through unbearable humiliation because of this situation. Her confession and admittance to her actions in this speech make it clear that she understands she has some fault to bear, however, the public humiliation which ensued after the scandal surfaced in the headlines, was entirely inappropriate, and became an issue of her own mental health. The fact that many of my favorite rappers still use her name in their songs, like Beyonce in her song Partition, was never an issue for me, in fact, it is, for the most part, how I knew any information about this scandal. However, Monica Lewinsky’s portrayal in most public platforms from 1998 to the current day are ridiculing and slandering her name, and in my opinion, that is wrong. My position on the Clintons, solely regarding this issue, has remained the same. Bill Clinton’s age and position of power, put him more at fault in this scandal, and Hillary Clinton’s choice to forgive him and move on is entirely a personal choice, however, if she slandered Monica Lewinsky’s name in the public eye, I think that is immoral. Monica Lewinsky’s decision to speak out on this story, create a platform to end public humiliation in the form of cyber bullying, and reclaim her own narrative is admirable. Despite the scandal, with both parties at fault, Monica Lewinsky and the Clintons are people, and Monica Lewinsky’s push to stop cyber bullying and humiliating people to death is a noble one.

• January 29th, 2018 at 11:04 pm       ericcheng Says:

Sophia, I like how you conclude with Monica Lewinsky is using the situation she’s placed in, to the best of it. She’s taking advantage of the attention from the media and using it to focus on the growth of cyberbullying, and how it will always remain prevalent if no one addresses it.

• January 30th, 2018 at 12:39 am       roryh2 Says:

Sophia, I immediately thought of Beyonce’s “Partition” as well! In the song, Beyonce sings “he Monica Lewinsky-ed all on my gown”. In an interview with Vanity Fair, Lewinsky makes light of the lyric: “Thanks, Beyoncé, but if we’re verbing, I think you meant ‘Bill Clinton’d all on my gown,’ not ‘Monica Lewinsky’d.” Although it is humorous, your name is central to your identity. I can’t imagine the humiliation of having your name associated with such an intimate and private act.

The VF article: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2014/05/monica-lewinsky-speaks

7. January 29th, 2018 at 10:28 pm       danielleg6 Says:

I really surprised myself while listening to Monica Lewinsky’s TED talk. When I first saw that the video was 22 minutes long I thought to myself “Aw man how can she talk about her side of an affair for 22 minutes…It’ll be interesting at first but then it’ll be redundant and boring ugh.” But boy was I wrong. I was floored by every minute of Lewinsky’s talk. I knew about the scandal before hand, but only from a political history standpoint. When Lewinsky said she “fell in love with [her] boss,” I gained so much insight into her mind. She had fallen in love with the wrong person at the wrong time (which is pretty common unfortunately); but, this time the wrong person just happened to be the President of the United States. And as if the emotional distress of her heartbreak wasn’t enough, when the affair became public, it blew up like a nuclear bomb in Lewinsky’s face. Indeed, it’s pretty easy to say that Lewinsky was one of the first and most famous cases of cyberbullying. At this point in Lewinsky’s talk, my jaw fell from my chest to the floor. Lewinsky’s strength and motivation to speak out about cyberbullying’s dangers are incredible. She turned a situation that would have broken most people into a positive motivator. I gained so much sympathy and so much respect for Lewinsky during her talk. It’s important not to forget not only that Lewinsky is a victim of cyberbullying, but that she will also be in history textbooks. The humiliation she felt, the humiliation that nearly killed her, will live on long past her. Her name will be a line (and maybe already is) a line in history textbooks across the nation. But, instead of staying in the darkness never to be heard from again, Lewinsky chose to step into the light and prevent the humiliation that happened to her and so many others from continuing to destroy countless lives.

• January 29th, 2018 at 11:17 pm       kriship1 Says:

Danielle, I agree completely with your image of Monica Lewinsky today. I appreciated your reference to the importance of her name in the history books even more. A lot of kids don’t follow up on historical event or receive incite other than what is written in the history books. To know the more the people hear about you and the way they will think of you will always be the same is hard. But, as you said, she “steps into the light” and changes her faith. She takes her stand, and by the power, she presented in the TED Talk, she could change the pages in the textbook.

8. January 29th, 2018 at 10:56 pm       ericcheng Says:

After watching to Monica Lewinsky’s Ted Talk presentation, my view of her as a person has changed. Prior to watching Ms. Lewinsky’s interview, I didn’t really know much of her name. Like she said, I have actually heard her mostly from rap songs and pop culture references, and I haven’t cared that much to look up her involvement in Clinton’s office term. Though now I understand how one choice altered her life.

Lewinsky’s event was during an interesting time period, especially with the growth of media and internet at the time, so her information was being leaked globally in matters of seconds. Watching her physically recall from her memories and watching her facial expressions had made me realized that yes she understands what has happened, but that does not justify the treatment from hundreds of strangers online humiliating and tormenting her for the rest of her life.

The part where Monica Lewinsky brought up the memory of her parents making her shower with the door open was concerning to me. Lewinsky’s parents’ reaction emphasized the impacts online tormenting has not only the victim but also the family and loved ones because they worry if the victim will subdue to the criticism. I think Lewinsky had the urge to speak out because it was only right if she had the opportunity to share her side of the story and how it has changed her life forever. Events like Lewinsky’s are one that follows an individual forever and sticks with the family name.

No. my opinions of President Clinton and Hillary Clinton have not been changed.

• January 29th, 2018 at 11:22 pm       amandag3 Says:

Eric, I completely agree with your post, especially towards the end. Lewinsky felt the urge to speak up because she knew that by doing so, she could potentially save lives, just as hers was saved years ago. She understands firsthand the necessity of a strong support system and is using her story as a platform to positively change the lives of others. That is so important, and it is great that she is using her negative experience to help others.

9. January 29th, 2018 at 11:10 pm       kriship1 Says:

After watching Monica Lewinsky’s TED Talk, I sympathized more with her than I initially did with the prior knowledge I had of the situation. The way she establishes her side of the scandal is eye-opening for the third party perspective. Instead of providing mostly information about her side of the scandal and her emotions, she talks as a third party in other situations where bullying and other shaming happened which correlates to a similar understanding as she felt. I like how she focuses on the overall issue of cyberbullying and not the political scandal and what it means for her. Her endurance and motivation to speak about cyberbullying when she faced one of the biggest cyberbullying, during her time, is incredible. Her talk of time and diligence paid off now when she tells her story. During the scandal, all eyes were on the bigger man, President Bill Clinton, and no one listened to the young intern. Now she speakers on a bigger platform and has the bigger role in the scandal and is heard by millions. She has come out of the shadow of President Clinton and developed a stronger name for herself. My favorite part of the speech is the ending. She pinpoints the importance of moving forward and letting go of what happened in the past and instead looks to learn from it and help others and herself in the future. She connects her wisdom with her into with the jokes. She jokes about her own scandal where she felt hurt, sad, and possibly depressed. She feels comfortable to make fun of these jokes as she doesn’t see herself living the same life as the the22-year-old victim she once was. For something that created her silence for a decade she came out strong knowing what has happened is over, what she is now is not the same 22-year-old, and that she can make the future better for herself.

• January 29th, 2018 at 11:16 pm       dianag2 Says:

Krishi, I liked how you analyzed Lewinsky’s TED Talk. I definitely agree that it was admirable how she turned her past into an overarching life lesson about cyberbullying and the dangers of technology.

10. January 29th, 2018 at 11:14 pm       dianag2 Says:

Before watching this video and listening to our discussion in class today, I only briefly knew about the Monica Lewinsky scandal. I just knew—or thought—that Lewinsky was mainly the one who acted unjustly; however, after listening to her TED Talk, my opinion has greatly changed. I did not think to connect this scandal with the invention of the Internet. Occurring around the same time, the rumors about the scandal were publicized to people around the world, and Lewinsky became a target of public humiliation overnight, as she said in the video. I also thought it was interesting how Lewinsky mentioned the tragedy of Tyler Clemente. I thought it would be hard to see the comparison between the cyberbullying of an 18 year old in college and the online harassment of a 22 year old who had an affair with the President of the United States, but I think they is exactly why Lewinsky mentioned it. At first, these two incidents seemed incomparable, but they are intact very similar. The extent to which Lewinsky was harassed was alarming especially for someone who was only 22 at the time.
    Though she made a life-altering mistake, my perspective on Monica Lewinsky and the situation as a whole has definitely changed. After learning about how technology influenced the scandal and publicly humiliated Lewinsky, I have gained some sympathy for her as something of this weight should not have to linger with someone for the rest of his/her life.

• January 29th, 2018 at 11:26 pm       tarap1 Says:

Diana, I agree with you that Monica Lewinsky did not deserve the extent of bullying she faced. However, you say that you believed she was “mainly the one who acted unjustly.” I am curious as to how the video changed your opinions on that. You mention the public humiliation she faced was atrocious but how does that change your opinions on the actual scandal between Clinton and her?

11. January 29th, 2018 at 11:19 pm       amandag3 Says:

Like many of my classmates, I was surprised when I listened to Monica Lewinsky’s speech. As someone who is typically painted as villain, she gave a moving TED Talk about the dangers of the media and cyberbullying. I have never really thought of her scandal the way she described it, so it was interesting to take a step back and look at it from a different angle. The Lewinsky scandal broke at the same time the Internet was gaining popularity. I’ve never made this connection, but it was a huge eye-opener. The Internet was most definitely out to get Lewinsky and served as a platform for her to be torn apart. From hearing her side of the story, I could easily hear the pain in her voice and quickly understood how negatively impacted she was by the harsh criticism she was receiving online. The media turned Monica Lewinsky into the antagonist of the story, and people who had no idea who Lewinsky was were slut-shaming her on the Internet. Lewinsky’s decision to omit the Clintons, for the most part, from her speech proved her maturity— she has put the situation in the past and does not appear to blame Bill Clinton for his part of the scandal. I love how she now uses the situation as the basis of her stand against bullying and cyber-bullying because it illustrates so clearly her courage and strength. Lewinsky turned a negative into a positive, and I think that is something she should be commended for. On the other hand, I do believe that the Clintons were a contributing factor to the negativity that overtook Lewinsky’s life after the affair. Her decision to not mention them in the speech was bold, but I also understood it as her attempt to ignore their involvement in the situation because she felt that they did not deserve her respect because of how they disrespected her. Lewinsky’s decision to speak out, in general, is extremely powerful because it gives a voice to so many people who are struggling with bullying and cyber-bullying. Monica Lewinsky is proof that, while there are so many people who will try to destroy your image online, there are many others who will help rebuild your image in a positive light. Although she has obviously made mistakes in the past, Lewinsky has accepted responsibility and served as an example of how people should be respected no matter what the circumstance.

• January 29th, 2018 at 11:37 pm       jennifere1 Says:

Amanda, I agree with your comments regarding Monica Lewinsky’s decision to omit the name of the Clintons from her speech. After so many years of being defined solely by her role in a political scandal, it is understandable that she would have wanted to establish a name from herself apart from it.

12. January 29th, 2018 at 11:21 pm       tarap1 Says:

As sorry as I am that Monica Lewinsky had to endure the pain of the scandal’s aftermath, I do not empathize with her. After thinking about our discussion today in class and watching her TED talk, I have to disagree with the majority of the class. She was TWENTY TWO years old. She was not a child. She was not a teen. She was not in college. She was an adult interning in the White House who explicitly expressed her attraction to Bill Clinton. Now I do not advocate for Bill Clinton’s response. As her boss, as a husband, as a father, and out of respect, he should have never reciprocated those feelings. However, Monica Lewinsky is just to blame as he is. She was well aware that he was married. She was well aware of her responsibility interning in the White House. She was well aware of the consequences that could lead up to having an affair with a married man who was our president! And on top of that, SHE INITIATED IT! It is personally difficult for me to emphasize with her because I can’t understand how she could not have thought this through. I am 17 years old. I work for a pediatric endocrinologist and with his team who are in medical school. Never in a million years would I think about doing anything that Monica Lewinsky had done. I understand why people are sympathizing with her and like I said, she did not deserve the extent of bullying that occurred. However, I cannot fully empathize with her.

• January 30th, 2018 at 12:48 am       mcguirky Says:

I think that Monica should have dry cleaned that dress. There would be no problems if it were not for that dress! Also, I think we should learn a lesson about trust. Monica divulged details of her life to the wrong person and it wrecked her life.

• January 30th, 2018 at 12:54 am       devp1 Says:

Tara, I think you brought up a great point when pointing out that Lewinsky is just as responsible as Clinton was for the affair, but I don’t think you’re considering the personal consequences she suffered as a result of societal judgement. Is it really true that you feel NO empathy for her? After she’s universally known as the woman who had an affair with Clinton – “the Monica Lewinsky scandal.” As she mentioned, she’s been alluded to in over forty rap songs! If you really do not empathize with her whatsoever, then perhaps you haven’t really considered the damaging effects of what she’s undergone.

13. January 29th, 2018 at 11:25 pm       oliviam3 Says:

I gained a lot from listening to Monica Lewinsky’s TED talk. I was able to see that the ‘affair’ was so much more the individual acts. She was “in love” with Bill Clinton which I see translated into more emotional distress after their relationship was exposed. I also sympathize with here greatly. It is evident that the past decade or so have been incredibly tough for her and had sent her into a deep depression to the point she began to think that life was not worth living. She gave a glimpse into her personal life opposed to the media portrayal of her. Her insight strengthens her credibility and added ethos to her campaign against cyberbullying. I think it is important for her to share how you can make a tragic event into something much more positive. Although this TED talk is from almost 3 years ago, I think her message is extremely relevant. Cyberbullying has definitely increased with the expansion of social media and the greater integration of the internet into our daily lives. It also is a parallel to the contemporary #Metoo movement. More woman stand up against sexual assault and other un-consensual sexual relations. These women are faced with confrentation and a negative media portrayal. However, many of these women are taking a tragic incident and making it a base for their campaign against sexual assault. This TED talk showed me how Monica Lewinsky was a leader.

14. January 29th, 2018 at 11:32 pm       jennifere1 Says:

Prior to watching Monica Lewinsky’s TED talk, I had never given her much thought. Before today’s class, I was unfamiliar with all but the bare minimum details about the scandal and while I contemplated how a president could reestablish a name for himself after such a public failure of character, I did not think about Monica Lewinsky. Perhaps it was because she had yet to establish a name for herself, but, in retrospect, it makes the situation more tragic. Lewinsky was a bright young woman who had secured an internship in the White House. While it is uncertain what could have happened had there not been inappropriate sexual relations between President Clinton and Lewinsky, it is clear that she was on a path to success. But Lewinsky did not spend her speech prophesying what could have happened. Instead, she focused on the intense cyberbullying to which she was subjected. Admirably, Lewinsky did not launch any attacks on Clinton or his administration. In fact, she never referred to him by name. This TED talk was by no means a defamation of Clinton nor was it an attempt to blame him for cyberbullying. Lewinsky used the unwanted fame she has acquired as a result of this scandal to start a conversation about cyberbullying. She speaks from personal experience, relating to the millions of people who have been publically humiliated online. It took a lot of courage for Lewinsky to share the hardships she experienced and her struggles with suicidal thoughts to an worldwide audience she already knew to be scathing. But remarkably, she turned her awful situation into a lesson for people living in the digital age, hopefully transforming the atmosphere of online conversation from one of humiliation to one of empathy.

• January 30th, 2018 at 1:06 am       christiner2 Says:

Jen, your comment made me realize that both sides were equally affected by the scandal. Previously, I totally disregarded Monica Lewinsky for having a sexual relation with a married man, however your point emphasized that the affair was between two people with two different lifestyles and two different futures. Though Clinton’s presidency was stained with the scandal, Lewinsky, at the young age of 22,was ostracized by the world, leaving her in a constant state of shame and humility. I also agree with your last statement that emphasizes how Lewinsky took her trauma and turned it into an outlet for change.

15. January 30th, 2018 at 12:02 am       roryh2 Says:

I have a lot of respect for Monica Lewinsky after watching her TED Talk. I found it interesting that she spent very little discussing the specifics of the affair. I think it was a powerful choice to never mention the Clintons by name. She asserts at the end that she is “reclaiming [her] narrative”; by excluding the word Clinton from her speech, she empowers herself and becomes more than just “that woman.” I also think it’s admirable that Lewinsky has become an advocate against cyberbullying. She was one of the first people to receive this form of harassment, and she is one of the only people to receive it at a global level. I commend her for utilizing the most traumatic part of her life as a way to prevent others from experiencing the same form of harassment. I completely agree with her argument that we are solely responsible for our actions online. Even by clicking on a salacious article, we make a conscious choice to indulge in someone’s personal embarrassment.

My opinion on the Clintons is largely unchanged. Since he has been a private citizen my entire life, I have never had a strong opinion on Bill Clinton. I think Hillary Clinton is an intelligent woman who would’ve been a suitable president. Her decision to remain married to Bill Clinton is a personal choice. However, her decision to dismiss Ms. Lewinsky and the women who have accused Bill Clinton of sexual harassment is disheartening.

• January 30th, 2018 at 12:18 am       joannes2 Says:

I like your analysis, Rory. Society’s tendency to obsess over other people’s lives is perplexing- why do we focus our attention on others when it would be much more useful to turn it inwards? With Lewinsky and other activists raising awareness, there is hope that society will take strides toward empathy and not toward destruction; it is a step in the right direction for a world growing increasingly unstable.

16. January 30th, 2018 at 12:03 am       joannes2 Says:

We are quick to let other people’s opinions determine our value- small comments can be heavy weights. People are cruel, and their torment continues because society loses nothing in doing so; we tear each other apart- feeling no shred of empathy. Monica Lewinsky continues to suffer under the public’s beady eye- it has been two brutal decades for her. But after years of shame, she speaks out, changing society’s hatred into momentum for her activism. Their inhumanity, while aimed to destroy her, strengthened her; she cited her supportive family and friends for this strength, but how can any person survive that without transforming her character? No person, especially no individual of 22 years old, is prepared for such a shift- from security to global exposure. She had full potential- but after one event, she could not separate herself from the issue. Refusing to let it consume her, Lewinsky dedicated her life to social activism. She takes a courageous position: she controls the conversation, focusing it on her humanitarian efforts. It is unfortunate that her powerful message is often clouded by immature individuals. In her most recent tweet Lewinsky advocates for anti-bullying, but one of the first replies is “love u monica….. hope bill won’t mind.” Because these comments are so frequent, her resilience is even more prominent; she recognizes her importance as a person who can incite change, which overpowers people’s criticism. Although twenty years passed, Lewinsky radiates warmth and courage through her TED talk and through her stance on societal issues, speaking for the voiceless- the person she no longer has to be.

• January 30th, 2018 at 12:42 am       michaell16 Says:

I agree with the recalling of her age in terms of the development of her character. Although she remained strong through the ensuing years of degradation, I cannot begin to imagine the effects this embarrassment had on her persona. How different is she today than what she could have been had the affair remained private? I also agree that her delivery exuded confidence and displayed a strength of character that appealed to me and I think the other listeners. Had she been in tears the entire speech I may not have gained much from her speech. But, she was courageous, strong, and confident.

17. January 30th, 2018 at 12:06 am       christiner2 Says:

Monica Lewinsky’s words pleasantly surprised me. Initially, when I saw that the video was 22 minutes long, I let out a sigh and grudgingly pressed play. However, Monica Lewinsky had me attracted to what she had to say right from the beginning. Opening up with jokes, she proved that she was not simply a figure of scandal and that although it took a long time, she accepted her mistake, took responsibility, and used the experience to make herself a better person. I found it very admirable that she selflessly decided to speak out after all this time in order to bring awareness to cyberbullying so that parents won’t have to live through what Lewinsky’s parents had to live through: constant paranoia that their daughter would be “humiliated to death”. Instead of placing her focus on the scandal (the topic the people know most about) Lewinsky emphasizes the issue of cyberbullying (the topic the people including myself) most likely do not even consider. My opinions on Lewinsky have definitely changed. Hearing her speak made me realize that although everyone makes mistakes, the bravest ones are the ones who overcome them. Monica Lewinsky did not agree to speak with the incentive of clearing her name or blaming others, but rather she did so to take a stand for the people who feel like they no longer have a voice. Although she persevered through years of slander and taunting, she decided that she won’t allow other people to go through what she did. To be honest, this video did not exactly change my opinions on the Clintons because she barely mentioned the affair, and when she does, she refers to it as a “mistake”, instead of pointing fingers. Although one can assume that she received so much hate because of the lack of intervention from the Clintons, had they done something, I believe that it could have amplified the situation even more because the President is continuing to look after the woman with whom he had an affair.

• January 30th, 2018 at 12:20 am       oliviam3 Says:

Christine, I agree with you that it was very admirable of Monica Lewinsky to not focus on the events that happened but rather shifted the narrative to what happened afterwards and what she is now going to do. I also like how you included that she was taking a stand for people who feel like they “no longer have a voice”. I also agree with you that the Clintons, especially Bill Clinton, should have intervened and thus should have shared some of the shaming Monica endured.

• January 30th, 2018 at 12:39 am       michaelam Says:

Christine, I think your point about Monica “opening up with jokes”, and how she “proved that she was not simply a figure of scandal” is important to recognize. Her jokes make her relatable, which is significant because people typically do not want to relate to someone who has committed adultery. Her jokes strengthen her argument and make her a figure of social change rather than “a figure of scandal”.

18. January 30th, 2018 at 12:28 am       michaelam Says:

Prior to Lewinsky’s TED talk, I could not understand how she, a 22 year old adult, could not know better than to have an affair with a married individual, especially when that individual is the president of the United States. Although I did not sympathize with Clinton either as he had both a wife and child, as a whole I could not comprehend why either would be willing to have an affair. After watching Lewinsky’s TED talk, I have gained more respect for her. The torture she continues to endure seems unbearable and undeserving. While Lewinsky is equally responsible for the affair, she definitely suffered more from the consequences, which is completely unfair. It is admirable that she has the courage to speak out against cyberbullying despite all the crude names she has been labelled while never blaming Clinton. She accepts that she made a mistake, and she is using that mistake to advocate for an end to cyberbullying; she is a strong woman. It made me sad to hear about her mother’s response to the situation, having to sit beside her every night. Not only are people like Lewinsky affected, but also their friends and family, which demonstrates the widespread consequences of cyberbullying.

• January 30th, 2018 at 1:13 am       ryang7 Says:

I completely agree with you about the far reaching effects of cyber bullying. The pain Lewinsky’s mother would have gone through seeing her child berated for years must have been almost as bad as the pain Lewinsky herself felt. When you attack one individual, it is not just their pain you are causing, but the pain of everyone who loves and supports them. This is an important lesson that everyone should learn. If people realized the far reaching repercussions of their actions, it is very likely that those actions would become less frequent, or even cease.

• January 30th, 2018 at 1:32 am       alanahm2 Says:

Michaela, I agree that Lewinsky’s utilization of her platform to expose a stigmatized issue is admirable. I also appreciate your mentioning Lewinsky’s family and friends; cyber-bullying has such far-reaching repercussions. The consequences of pressing “post” must resonate in order to incite change!

19. January 30th, 2018 at 12:35 am       michaell16 Says:

I continue to stand by my position that Monica Lewinsky was wrong to pursue a married man and President of the United States. Bill Clinton is equally responsible. However, I am not sure who was responsible for the publishment of the transcripts but I condemn even the idea that something so personal should be shared nationwide. I believe the trial ought to have occured behind doors with the evidence closed to the public. If the Clintons partook in any distribution of the evidence they are truly selfish and did not consider the wide-ranging effects the material would have on Lewinsky. I believe that Monica Lewinsky has every right to speak out especially if she is supporting a cultural revolution that may potentially save lives. Her transition from her experience to the detrimental effects of public shaming augmented her argument and gave her solid ground on which to speak to everyone. If she truly wishes to reclaim her public reputation she must support the movement instead of attempting to seek sympathy from her listeners.

• January 30th, 2018 at 12:57 am       jennar4 Says:

I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about privacy. The way this scandal was dealt with in the public sphere was deplorable, especially considering the intimacy of the issues and the amount of human emotion invested in the scandal. The publishing of the recordings was cruel, and I am happy to see Monica Lewinsky shifting the focus from the scandal itself to the media coverage of it. I commend her for focusing not on the affair, where blame is shared and nobody is completely innocent, to the more important and relevant issue of public humiliation. I support her movement for a cultural revolution and her desire to protect others from similar public shaming to what she experienced.

20. January 30th, 2018 at 12:38 am       devp1 Says:

Monica Lewinsky’s TED Talk gave me clarity on my opinions of the scandal and of both Lewinsky and the Clintons. When I had first learned about the affair in AP US History last year, Lewinsky was painted to be the primary engager in the scandal, with Clinton remaining passive. However, as we discussed Clinton’s faults in class today, I was ambivalent; both Lewinsky and Clinton were conscientious, consenting adults, so why should either of them be blamed more than the other? Yes, Clinton was over twenty years older than Lewinsky, but Lewinsky herself was still an adult. If she initiated the physical contact, Clinton should not be blamed more for the sexual relationship. Both Lewinsky and Clinton understood that this was an affair. As I came home from school today, I had no sympathy for Lewinsky. However, the TED Talk was monumental in clearing up my opinions of her. Much to my surprise, her “speak out” was not one directed toward either of the Clintons and did not even primarily focus on the affair. Instead, Lewinsky discussed – at large – the personal consequences of her “mistakes.” I was particularly struck by how confident she was on the stage – she even cracked a few jokes over the scandal. She did not target the Clintons, instead referring to the affair as “her” mistake and emphasizing the reaction over the scandal rather than the scandal herself. Admittedly, I was never interested in Lewinsky as a person beyond her scandal. When she mentioned that “it was easy to forget that that woman was dimension [and] had a soul,” I immediately reflected upon my initial opinions of her. I knew about her, but had I really “known” her well enough to make judgments? That is a question that many individuals in our society should consider: why is it that Lewinsky was the victim of slut-shaming for the affair? I’m reminded of the old saying, “it takes two to tango.” In this case, Clinton and Lewinsky were both responsible. Why then, is the affair known as the “Monica Lewinsky Scandal”? Should it not be known to history as the “Lewinsky Clinton scandal”? Referring back to the original blog questions, my stance on the scandal itself was unchanged because it was not largely discussed in the TED Talk. When Lewinsky spoke about her personal struggles after the affair went public, I was instantly reminded of Mrs. Hampsey’s comment on Hillary Clinton (potentially being involved in a “smear” campaign against Lewinsky). Finally watching Monica Lewinsky speak about the event altered my outlook on her, as I saw her as the person she truly is rather than another “woman” interfering with a marriage.

21. January 30th, 2018 at 12:42 am       mcguirky Says:

Listening to Monica Lewinsky made me realize that I have something to share. I have a confession to make. I have a secret guilty pleasure that only a few people know about. I am so ashamed of myself. I love reality TV. It just feels so good sometimes. Good reality TV consists of someone being humiliated or shamed. I enjoy watching it. I liked it on Vanderpump Rules when Jax cheated on Brittany and they had the recording of him talking to the girl after he had sex with her. I enjoyed the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills when Dorit got in trouble for showing up to lunch 54 minutes late. I liked when Vicki Gunvalson lost all of her friends on the Real housewives of Orange County after being involved in a cancer scam. I judge. Silently, from my sofa, I judge. I have the privilege of pressing the off button on the remote and closing that world. Other people must live with their actions, like Tamra when she threw her wine in Jeana’s face. I love it when they throw drinks. It is so theatrical, so staged, so overdone. I love watching it. To this day, I watch the video of Teresa Giudice flipping the table. I loved the way the glasses flew. I love how startled Danielle looked after the table fell. The Real housewives of New Jersey is too much for me though, seeing the commercials are enough.

Seeing glasses fly, tables flipped, and relationships ruined is kind of funny because I know its like all fake. They’re just really good actors. I think it is a problem because I shouldn’t enjoy it, but omg I really do. I am not the only person who finds this type of TV show entertaining. Each year, millions of people watch reality tv. Then blog sites discuss what happened on the show, and videos get posted to youtube for me to indulge in savory moments- like that table flip- forever. Teresa Giudice will have to live with that table flip forever. Her kids will see her flipping the table. It is forever recorded. She must live with that choice forever. Vicki has to live with the cancer scam. Tamra has to live with the wine throw. Forever. In the digitized world, there is no moving on. There is no letting go. There is only eternal attachment to a poor choice.

22. January 30th, 2018 at 12:48 am       jennar4 Says:

One thing that Monica Lewinsky’s speech made me think about a lot was what the world was like before technology, before the internet, before social media. I cannot imagine living in a world where the mainstream media was not accessible anywhere and everytime. We have gotten used to the world of information constantly at our fingertips. We have gotten used to being careful what posts we “like”, selectively choosing who can follow us, and choosing what to post on our snapchat stories based on who will see it. We have gotten used to “indirects”, to passive aggressive finsta posts, to late night tweets that will be deleted the next morning. We have even become desensitized to the amount of official business on social media, the subtle marketing and campaigning, the constant and instantaneous coverage of politicians and celebrities. Our generation grew up in this world where everyone can see everything. We grew with the technology, learning the secrets to survive it as it was being created. We are used to Presidential tweets that don’t make sense and digital footprints that reveal scandals. Monica Lewinsky was not. She was thrown into this pit of sharks, vulnerable, young, and blinded by love. She was naive, she was scared, she was the victim of the vicious media, and she had no idea what she was doing. Eventually she learned to navigate this world, but learning to swim in these rough waters without any experience must have been excruciating for her. Thinking about life before everyone’s lives were displayed in public (because we all know that even “private” accounts are not truly private) emphasizes all the evils we don’t even notice anymore. It might be nice to not be constantly worried if anyone will find out your secrets, to enjoy self expression online without the looming fear of public humiliation. I admire Lewinsky for stepping out into the sphere that has long berated her, trying to save others from the fate she faced as a young woman.

23. January 30th, 2018 at 12:50 am       benm2 Says:

After listening to Monica Lewinsky’s TED talk, I feel more sympathetic towards her involvement in Clinton’s affair. The way she explained it like she was just being intimate with a man, and she was harassed and slut-shamed for it. Even for years after the incident, she still has to deal with the consequences and still is harassed for it. The media tried to paint her as a villain. My opinion of Hillary has changed because she tried to enforce all the blame onto Lewinsky instead of her husband, the one that cheated on her. She tried to ruin a 22-year-olds life and almost drove her to suicide, which I find despicable. Mrs. Lewinsky’s decision to speak out is very brave. The fact that she empowered enough to speak her mind after decades of silence is incredible. Also, it is very admirable how she is trying to fight against these injustices for future generations.

• January 30th, 2018 at 4:06 am       ianz Says:

I completely agree that Lewinsky is brave in her efforts. At a time when very few people supported her, she had to attempt to live a normal life. Even now issues regarding her affair are still brought up in politics. To think that she was able to endure that criticism and then speak out against it is amazing. She essentially accuses the media by informing them on the proper way to treat an individual.

24. January 30th, 2018 at 12:57 am       Siegler Says:

To be honest, I never had a strong position on Monica Lewinsky’s involvement with President Clinton. I knew what had happened, but I was not even born yet when the incident took place and it was, to me, in the distant past by the time I was old enough to even understand what had happened. I also do not feel comfortable taking a strong position one way or the other, since A) I was not able to obtain the information and build an opinion as the situation played out, and B) I am not even as old now as Monica Lewinsky was when the scandal occurred, so I don’t believe I am able to look at it completely objectively.

My opinion on the Clintons has not changed, either. I do not think that Bill made a mature decision when he got involved with Monica Lewinsky, and as the President of the United States, he should have known better. Also, while I understand that he should be punished for his actions, as what he did was dishonest and wrong, I also think that given who nearly half the country elected into office two years ago, Bill should not be seen in such an evil light since those people clearly didn’t care enough about the same dishonesty and terrible actions when they voted for Trump.

I think that it was very strong of Monica Lewinsky to speak out. Again, I was not around for her scandal, but I have seen similar happenings even as close to home as in our high school. Last year with the scandal (you all know what I am referring to), my Instagram feed and Snapchat stories were filled with tasteless memes and comments about what had happened, making cruel jokes about the teacher and the student. This was shocking to me, and especially so because I know the family of the student who was involved and saw how hard it was for them to go through the ordeal. I have a ton of respect for Monica Lewinsky after seeing her stand up there and talk about how important it is to not post and spread harmful jokes on the internet. I think her points were very important and I agree with what she had to say.

25. January 30th, 2018 at 1:22 am       alanahm2 Says:

I appreciate Monica Lewinsky’s vulnerability, her acceptance of imperfection, and her willingness to emphasize personally painful experiences to serve a greater good.

According to a comprehensive personality study that began in Scotland in 1950 with 1,208 fourteen year old boys, one’s teenage self will bear virtually no resemblance to one’s elderly self; so much so that it has been argued that you become, in fact, an entirely different person and that you acquire various personalities throughout your life. I can only imagine the immense humiliation Lewinsky continues to endure in both her personal and public lives to this day for a mistake she made when she was only twenty two. She suffers for a person she doesn’t recognize — a stranger. Although I do not defend her involvement in this scandal, I sympathize with her. Lewinsky, her family, her friends, and her colleagues did not deserve to face such brutal retaliation to the point where they feared she may take her own life. Unfortunately, this is the grave reality of so many individuals who have lost control of their online presence, whose private and public identities were confused and exploited. I admire Lewinsky’s willingness to embrace the uncomfortable and utilize her platform to expose a severe issue that has become so mundane.

Social media immortalizes wavering sentiments and preserves what hopes to be forgotten. Such a permanent and unforgiving platform hinders growth. We must not allow a human invention rob us of our humanity.

• January 30th, 2018 at 1:48 am       Siegler Says:

I love your connection to the study in Scotland. I also sympathize with her and her family and agree that social media is ruthless and unforgiving, and really not fair. Your last line is excellent as well.

• January 30th, 2018 at 1:48 am       ansat2 Says:

I agree with you Alanah. Social Media definitely immoralities a person’s manhood. I liked the point when you mentioned, she “suffered for a person she did not know- a stranger.” This got my attention, because regardless of who or what the situation at hand may be, the fact that she humanized a deceased- a nobody in this world- is so powerful. She chose to do that, which shows that not only is she creating pathos, she is identifying herself with him, and for someone who has felt a need to take her own life, that is empowering. I also do not agree with her involvement, yet finds sympathy for her harsh endurance during the midst of this scandal.

26. January 30th, 2018 at 1:38 am       ansat2 Says:

When first hearing upon her scandal, I was probably 10 years old. At the time, I was like “How can a woman do such a thing!” “Who does she thing she is, sleeping with the President!” Yet, I did not know much about her; I looked at her from a single eye’s point of view, degrading her worth, as I felt she used her internship to jeopardize the status of our nation. However, upon hearing her TED talk, my point of view has changed immensely. While listening to her speak, I did not hear the 22 year old Monica speak, I heard a mature, independent, steadfast woman who is open to claiming her own personhood. Monica is accepting of her past, and ready to make a change for the future. She uses her own story to bring awareness to how ruthless online bullies and media broadcasters can be, and yet chooses to make a difference, as she says “public humiliation is a commodity, and shame is an industry.” I had to realize that she is just like any other human, like any other 22 year old at the time. She made a mistake, just like everyone in this world has once had, yet her willpower to overcome that experience, and empower those online hackers, and media outlets, etc. proves to show her tenacity. And that to me takes guts. I am proud of Monica for taking a stand and sharing her story, and my feelings towards her have been uplifted.

• January 30th, 2018 at 1:51 am       ansat2 Says:

***empower those who have been affected by …

• January 30th, 2018 at 2:40 am       graced2 Says:

I agree that after hearing what she went through, it is amazing she has the bravery to stand up and talk about it from a matured perspective. There are people who will do a similar humiliating thing and hide away, so her opening up about it and owning it shows her courage.

27. January 30th, 2018 at 1:49 am       lesliey1 Says:

I found Monica Lewinsky’s TED talk to be very eye-opening and inspiring. Despite the slander and harassment that Monica endured, she rose above it and shared her story with the world from her perspective and advocated for awareness of online bullying and its far-reaching consequences.

The Clinton’s have mostly gotten to move on with their lives while Lewinsky has to live with the title of “that woman”. Before learning much about the Lewinsky scandal and Bill Clinton’s impeachment hearings, I just saw Bill Clinton as someone whose natural charisma had a downside: he was a womanizer. However, hearing Monica talk about how the scandal and slander affected her, I began to change my mind. The people who were denouncing Bill Clinton were members of the opposite party who were mainly doing so for political reasons. The fact that Bill Clinton had an affair with a twenty-two year old didn’t make him look nearly as bad as Monica. I feel as though he should have ended things before they started and acted like an adult. It is a little admirable that Hillary Clinton stuck with her husband and braved the humiliation that comes with being cheated on and lied to in front of the world after standing beside him in an interview saying the accusations were false. I understand that she would be furious but she has called Monica Lewinsky a “loony toon”. Both Clinton’s have done many things for women: Hillary Clinton was one of the best public servants this country has ever seen and Bill Clinton respected his wife’s ambitions, setting an example for men everywhere. However, I wonder whether or not Hillary enabled Bill’s actions, and I do believe that Bill Clinton preyed on women and abused his power.

Monica addresses a concern that lots of people have about social media and its negative effects on how we live our lives. As I was watching the talk, I was reminded of the tv show Black Mirror and remembering what happened to a character whose laptop camera gets hacked, I taped another piece of paper onto my own. The footprints we leave on social media is a huge concern for my generation because we’ve been on computers for almost our whole lives. The things we said when we were in middle school or younger can haunt us for life. The stupid things our parents said when they were younger were just sound waves and were lost almost as soon as they entered the world. We don’t have that luxury and have to be mindful of what we put on the internet and how we treat each other.

28. January 30th, 2018 at 1:57 am       priscillam2 Says:

When she started off the TED talk by explaining how the speech she gave was to mostly young kids, mostly around the age of 14, I realized that although I’ve heard her name before and knew about her affair with Clinton, that was it. I knew absolutely no details on what actually happened, all I knew was that President Bill Clinton cheated on Hillary with Monica Lewinsky. I think that my position has changed because when she introduced the TED talk explaining how everyone makes mistakes in their twenties, and how everyone has dated the wrong people, she personalized it and made it possible for almost everyone in the audience to relate to her, even when she is talking about her affair with the President. My opinion on Hillary Clinton has deferred slightly because now knowing that she purposefully had her friends who were in charge of many famous newspaper articles publish articles “slut-shaming” Monica and sending out very cruel words that were sent against her, was wrong. Now understanding more what Monica went through with her family and her suicidal thoughts of the event, has made me much more sympathetic towards her. Although it was many years after the occasion, I think it was incredibly brave and noble for her to speak out. You could tell that even though it may have been over a decade later, she still felt those strong emotions as if it happened a year ago. Especially by talking more about ways to prevent cyber bullying and less about her personal experience with it, made her speech very uplifting and moving. She made everyone in the crowd and all those listening to want to put forth a conscience effort to correct these wrongs of cyber bullying.

29. January 30th, 2018 at 2:37 am       graced2 Says:

I honestly expected to hear her side of the story more in depth than what she actually explained, however I was pleased with her idea to use what she went through to spread awareness about the strength of online bullying. My position of Monica’s involvement with the President has always been sympathetic towards her, so watching her speak has only proven to me that she is credible and has learned from the experience. She did not mention much about how Clinton had handled the situation, and she only ever referred to him as her boss or the President, which I found interesting. It made the talk completely about herself and her involvement with the media, without bringing in specific details about Clinton. Alternatively, solely mentioning him as her “boss” and the “president” serves to victimize her as well, showing that rather than calling him his name, he is represented by his position of power over her, which effectively sums up any conversation about what happened. I am glad that Monica is using her name and platform to spread this message to help prevent cyberbullying, a prevalent issue today.

30. January 30th, 2018 at 3:59 am       ianz Says:

Before I watched this TED talk I was assuming that Lewinsky would explain her side of the story. Maybe, she would defend herself and her dignity. She might even go as far as attempting to discredit other stories about her affair with President Clinton. What she did do, however, I thought was interesting. She acknowledged the situation and the history but then she made it into an argument. Not an argument against a Clinton or a theory. An argument against a social ill. Something she had faced first-hand. She spoke from experience as she described the negative impacts of bullying, especially online. She used her bad situation to bring awareness and spread good. She did not change her story or argue its details. Rather, she used its power as a vehicle for a message. Lewinsky is not worried about her own struggles now. She has moved on to protecting others. I think Lewinsky’s choice to come out as an advocate for online safety is a smart move by her. She simultaneously deflects negative comments about her and does good. Individuals claiming that she lacks morality need not look farther than her recommendations for charities. Similarly, individuals seeking help feel empowered by her story and what she has turned it into. Although my view of Lewinsky’s role in the scandal has not changed, my view of her as a person has. She turned a terrible situation into a helpful one, and she did not turn her back on people experiencing what she was once a victim of.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Skip to toolbar