Back to School Data

I purposely chose that title of this post because every word of it scares teachers.

BACK TO SCHOOL. #notready #insertswearword #donottouchmysunscreen

Every teacher dreads the end of their summers, but hopefully they used their time to recharge and get ready for the next school year.  Every teacher makes a list of things they want to do differently next year or something they want to improve on. I found if I don’t act on that list during the summer then I will never reach that goal.

DATA  #calmdown #notonlyforscienceteachers

As a Science teacher, the word data gets me just as excited as finding a first edition of Romeo and Juliet for English teachers. We are entering a time where our whole job will come down to some data point. Our State Exam average is already being plotted next to our colleagues across the state. (Hope you are not the outlier)

During the school year I try to collect as much data from my students as possible. The use of Google Forms is the best way to collect and store that data.

Here is a list of non-academic ways I collect data from my students for some “Back to School Data”

First week of school:

Learning Style Data: I collect this information each year and use their individual data to help them design note and studying skills.  Click here for an older version where I collected other data such as parent’s email, etc.

***Click here for the edit mode if you want to make a copy to use on your own**

Danielson’s Framework Alignment:

• 1a: Prerequisite material
  • 1b: Instruction that matches their need
  • 1c: diverse learners

Google Form for Pre-Assessments (SLOs): This form is pretty bland, but it serves a big purpose. My students submit their answers to our Pre-Assessment on it. Then, I run the Add-On Flubaroo and they leave class with their scores.

Danielson’s Framework:

• 1a: Prerequisite material
  •  1b: Instruction that matches their needs
  • 1c: diverse learners
  • 3b: Using questioning and discussion techniques

Throughout the Year:

Lab Minutes TrackerScience classes have to have 1200 minutes of labs. I use this quick form to track how long each lab took. It also serves as a nice way to see how many and which labs I do from year to year.

Common Core Writing Minutes: Science has ELA Writing and Reading Standards to abide by. I like to track how many minutes of in-class writing my students partake in. I had over 10 hrs last year! Would have not known that if I didn’t track it through a Google Form.

Read 2 comments